Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,153,561 members, 7,820,028 topics. Date: Tuesday, 07 May 2024 at 08:38 AM

Why Do Pastors Always Wear Suits On The Pulpit? - Religion (3) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Religion / Why Do Pastors Always Wear Suits On The Pulpit? (23492 Views)

Bayelsa Anglican Reverend Slumps & Dies On Pulpit During Wedding Ceremony / Why Do Pastors Prefer Malachi To Deuteronomy When Preaching About Tithe? / Young Men On The Pulpit Driven By Tithe, Offering Honorarium - Gbile Akanni (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Why Do Pastors Always Wear Suits On The Pulpit? by Nobody: 3:38pm On Aug 28, 2016
Because they will not feel too comfortable wearing Boxers and Singlet on the pulpit..
Re: Why Do Pastors Always Wear Suits On The Pulpit? by Nobody: 3:40pm On Aug 28, 2016
MY OWN QUESTION IS WHY DO NIGERIAN CHRISTIANS DO TRADITIONAL MARRIAGE,COURT WEDDING, AND WHITE WEDDING BEFORE THE MARRIAGE IS COMPLETE.
Re: Why Do Pastors Always Wear Suits On The Pulpit? by SeeUrLife: 3:44pm On Aug 28, 2016
jcross19:
the question is true. It has turn tradition in nigeria particularly that pastor "must" wear suit on every sunday for preaching that's dressing code for a nigerian pastor now if I may ask why are they rejecting our own native attires but opt for english ones ? Is it not mental slavery?.

you may call it mental slavery in ur own view, but can u tel me y the Nigerian Army wears wat they wear, wen going for battle?
Re: Why Do Pastors Always Wear Suits On The Pulpit? by elskillful: 3:44pm On Aug 28, 2016
My pastor is always on COAT not suit
Re: Why Do Pastors Always Wear Suits On The Pulpit? by akin33(m): 3:52pm On Aug 28, 2016
@ OP, before you know why pastors wear suit to church, you must first know why suit is been allowed in various offices in Nigeria and the world. The reason why we wear suit to church,
(1) Pastoring is a profession ordained by God
(2) Pastors are not to appear tattered or rife raf
(3) The way you dress, so you will be addressed. If I appear like a begger and I present myself as a pastor to you, will you listen to my message.
(4) the work of pastor is to go to the whole world to preach to all manner of people. You don't expect me to dress like a farmer to embassy, they of course, they will refuse me VISA, how much more going to their country like that.
Re: Why Do Pastors Always Wear Suits On The Pulpit? by OrlandoOwoh(m): 3:54pm On Aug 28, 2016
newsphase:
It is a style of dresssing that most people are comfortable with, in the sense that it does not give way for an extravagant show of luxury (meaning all those pastors who would want to show off their wealth by wearing other forms of clothing are refused that privilege
Do you know the cost of the suits pastors of Christ Embassy put on?
Re: Why Do Pastors Always Wear Suits On The Pulpit? by izmango: 3:55pm On Aug 28, 2016
jcross19:
okay !!!!!! I hear. Are you happy?. Your comment is irrelevant.
and ur comment is so stupid
Re: Why Do Pastors Always Wear Suits On The Pulpit? by babeface3: 3:56pm On Aug 28, 2016
Mrdecent:
Some churches make it a rule that you must be on suit while ministering. My question is why not in our native attire? Is there any sin in promoting our own in the house of God? Please let the pastors in the house give us insight

Originally: Why Is It That Our Pastors Are Always On Suit While Preaching
its just cultural imperialism depicting the origin of the gospel- the west- same reason lawyers wear wig and gown even in hot weather. Other professions also have suit as their main official wear.
Re: Why Do Pastors Always Wear Suits On The Pulpit? by akin33(m): 4:00pm On Aug 28, 2016
Pastors are to look smart not wretched

Re: Why Do Pastors Always Wear Suits On The Pulpit? by BjoshuaEsq(m): 4:01pm On Aug 28, 2016
I think it's just a show of the african mentality that english dresses are the coporate dresses,and are the only accepted attire in the official setting. I don't think it should be necessitated for ministry as that could be a form of neo-colonialism,but it should be worn at wish.
Re: Why Do Pastors Always Wear Suits On The Pulpit? by thomjoe(m): 4:04pm On Aug 28, 2016
He were shirt and trouser because He chooses to. What is you people business In the kind of Cloths pastors put on? No wonder Der Bible said "my people perish because they lack wisdom" focus on your life my brethrem.
gsparks01:
Have you met pastor Chingtok Ishaku? Na shirt and trouser he go wear for u.
Re: Why Do Pastors Always Wear Suits On The Pulpit? by Afromalaika(m): 4:10pm On Aug 28, 2016
NEOCOLONIALISM
Re: Why Do Pastors Always Wear Suits On The Pulpit? by thomjoe(m): 4:13pm On Aug 28, 2016
Amebor for church..... U sure say u go make heaven so? Gossip for hux nor do u, na pastor u go de Gossip. Nawa

Re: Why Do Pastors Always Wear Suits On The Pulpit? by Rapture4real(m): 4:18pm On Aug 28, 2016
Mrdecent:
Some churches make it a rule that you must be on suit while ministering. My question is why not in our native attire? Is there any sin in promoting our own in the house of God? Please let the pastors in the house give us insight

Clerical dressing is part of the requirements of a pastor and pastoral decorum. God gave Moses instruction on how the priests should dress. Suits is western influence that has come to stay since they championed the gospel in Africa. Some churches use collar. Baptist doesn't make it compulsory but we wear suit and tie during wedding, Lords Supper and special occasion. Additionally, a pastor is a public image maker and God's representative on earth. He must dress responsibly to portray what he stands for
Re: Why Do Pastors Always Wear Suits On The Pulpit? by buty: 4:25pm On Aug 28, 2016
jcross19:
you are just funny!!!! Do you know how much they do sell that suit those men of God do wear? See to me I believe that's mental slavery.

suit might be expensive, but you can't tell exactly how much the pastor bought it, but a native attire you can know exactly how much the material is sold in the market and approximate how much the cost of sewing . so you can easily tell the worth of a native attire than a suit.
Re: Why Do Pastors Always Wear Suits On The Pulpit? by gidjah(m): 4:26pm On Aug 28, 2016
My ministry I attend worst pass, at 4:00am we must wear suit, at early morning convenant hour of prayers 5:30wey I never baffled, we must wear suit,this is d same suit I hate to wear to my. Office that almost got a sack!
Re: Why Do Pastors Always Wear Suits On The Pulpit? by LorDBolton(m): 4:27pm On Aug 28, 2016
newsphase:
It is a style of dresssing that most people are comfortable with, in the sense that it does not give way for an extravagant show of luxury (meaning all those pastors who would want to show off their wealth by wearing other forms of clothing are refused that privilege

I doubt you've seen people like oyakhilome n johnson suleiman abi okotie n co preach sha.
Re: Why Do Pastors Always Wear Suits On The Pulpit? by LorDBolton(m): 4:35pm On Aug 28, 2016
Op take it or leave it...

They wear suit because being a pastor is a "white collar job"

Go and check our the structure of a typical church and tell me it's not structured like other institutions

The founding pastor @ the HQ is the c.e.o while the others are branch managers.

Why do u think they advertise their miracles? Na marketing na. Lol

Lemme not go any further.
Re: Why Do Pastors Always Wear Suits On The Pulpit? by debanks1(m): 4:43pm On Aug 28, 2016
Maybe they believe GOD cannot answer them in their native wears... they see GOD as an English Man. and native as a sack sin cloth.
Re: Why Do Pastors Always Wear Suits On The Pulpit? by gemale(m): 4:43pm On Aug 28, 2016
prettysolid:
To look smart + people take you more seriously when you dress properly and appropriately
So it's only when u r on suit dt u luk smart
Re: Why Do Pastors Always Wear Suits On The Pulpit? by Ayatullah(m): 4:49pm On Aug 28, 2016
firstking01:
This is why king solomon said in eclesiastes that when you go to church, pay more attention to the word/preaching, than to give the sacrifice of fools....some people esp the atheist go to church to look for any slight thing they will use to critisize the church and pastors...remove your eyes from the messanger and what the pastor is wearing and fix your eyes on jesus the author and finisher of your faith...a pastor must nt always wear suit, if he choses to, then that's his choice.

You are either a Pastor or a Tailor making suits for Pastors. King Solomon never mentioned the word church in the bible. Atheists also don't go to Churches.
The truth is that reasonable people must question everything about the messanger in this era of deceits. Pastors are definitely crazy about Western cultural values than Jesus Cultural values. That is the plain truth.
Re: Why Do Pastors Always Wear Suits On The Pulpit? by MisterKings(m): 4:51pm On Aug 28, 2016
Mrdecent:

I will give u two reasons

1. Native clothes are for native doctors grin
2. Suit is for business and every church don turn business Centre where they brain wash people and take their money in the name of God.
Re: Why Do Pastors Always Wear Suits On The Pulpit? by JusticeSeeker: 4:54pm On Aug 28, 2016
#GBILEAKANNI , my mentor hardly wears suits, yet his messages are...
Re: Why Do Pastors Always Wear Suits On The Pulpit? by MisterKings(m): 4:58pm On Aug 28, 2016
debanks1:
Maybe they believe GOD cannot answer them in their native wears... they see GOD as an English Man. and native as a sack sin cloth.

I like that.... plus Africa don lose their identity and self worth without knowing. Our women will rather fix oyinbo weavon than keep their natural hair, christ embassy church pastors will rather perm their hair to look like pastor Chris who also copies oyinbo. Maybe na him color dey deceive am plus say he been marry oyinbo wife. Mtcheeeeww
Re: Why Do Pastors Always Wear Suits On The Pulpit? by EazyMoh(m): 4:59pm On Aug 28, 2016
Kingzulex:
Why do all these retarded alfas always keep Full beards?
Because its commanded in Islam, and shaving it off completely is a sin. Now answer the OP's question.
Re: Why Do Pastors Always Wear Suits On The Pulpit? by MisterKings(m): 5:00pm On Aug 28, 2016
SeeUrLife:

you may call it mental slavery in ur own view, but can u tel me y the Nigerian Army wears wat they wear, wen going for battle?

Bros thats a different case scenario. They are obliged to wear that as a uniform. Pastors are not obliged to any certain kind of attire.
Re: Why Do Pastors Always Wear Suits On The Pulpit? by MamaletASO: 5:04pm On Aug 28, 2016
OP.. You made a wrong move here big time..

This is a useless thread that has no meaning..

Maybe you should go ahead and ask again "Why are people from Southern parts of this country wear suit or dress corporate to work WHILE the ABOKis wear Native/Jalamia with pam-Slippers to work...

No be sooo...

1 Like

Re: Why Do Pastors Always Wear Suits On The Pulpit? by vtsouthpaw(m): 5:09pm On Aug 28, 2016
Simply, Mental slavery. Though some are getting out of that now.
Re: Why Do Pastors Always Wear Suits On The Pulpit? by Phemz(m): 5:09pm On Aug 28, 2016
Well its now a norm,that is part of the tradition we borrowed from the foreign countries who imposed christianity,well churches make cooperate wears compulsory not particulary suit sha,
But I want ask a salient question? Why don't we wear native to the office those of you talking about mental slavery.
Why does the iman wear,jalamia and the rest with turban its just tradition we borrowed from the white.
In that it makes you smarter,less flashy and all
Re: Why Do Pastors Always Wear Suits On The Pulpit? by lookingfly: 5:37pm On Aug 28, 2016
The big question is,why cant a pastor or a man of God wear a jean and a tshirt to the pulpit?
Re: Why Do Pastors Always Wear Suits On The Pulpit? by jcross19: 6:17pm On Aug 28, 2016
SeeUrLife:

so are you telling me that suit is pastor's uniform? Lol.
Re: Why Do Pastors Always Wear Suits On The Pulpit? by jcross19: 6:20pm On Aug 28, 2016
izmango:
and ur comment is so stupid
to a mental slave.

(1) (2) (3) (4) (Reply)

What Part Of The Bible Has Been Twisted By People For Selfish Gains? / Pastor Penuel Mnguni Feeds Congregation With Dog And Frog Meat To Heal HIV / Joshua Iginla Visits Manger Where Jesus Was Wrapped & Kept After Delivery (Photo

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 51
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.