Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,194,197 members, 7,953,726 topics. Date: Friday, 20 September 2024 at 01:11 AM

Why Do Pastors Always Wear Suits On The Pulpit? - Religion (4) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Religion / Why Do Pastors Always Wear Suits On The Pulpit? (23892 Views)

Bayelsa Anglican Reverend Slumps & Dies On Pulpit During Wedding Ceremony / Why Do Pastors Prefer Malachi To Deuteronomy When Preaching About Tithe? / Young Men On The Pulpit Driven By Tithe, Offering Honorarium - Gbile Akanni (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Why Do Pastors Always Wear Suits On The Pulpit? by jcross19: 6:22pm On Aug 28, 2016
buty:

suit might be expensive, but you can't tell exactly how much the pastor bought it, but a native attire you can know exactly how much the material is sold in the market and approximate how much the cost of sewing . so you can easily tell the worth of a native attire than a suit.
for people not to know the worth of the cloths they wear right? I see fraud.
Re: Why Do Pastors Always Wear Suits On The Pulpit? by oluwasegun007(m): 7:19pm On Aug 28, 2016
wetin make dem wear
Re: Why Do Pastors Always Wear Suits On The Pulpit? by Decrozz(m): 11:26pm On Aug 28, 2016
It's not only the Pastors but also the members. You see all of them on English dress and one will be looking like an alien. I'm always like 'am I still in Nigeria?'

Rocking my native on sundays even if I'm alone.
Re: Why Do Pastors Always Wear Suits On The Pulpit? by Nobody: 11:40pm On Aug 28, 2016
Mental Slavery!
Re: Why Do Pastors Always Wear Suits On The Pulpit? by gsparks01(m): 11:57pm On Aug 28, 2016
thomjoe:
He were shirt and trouser because He chooses to. What is you people business In the kind of Cloths pastors put on? No wonder Der Bible said "my people perish because they lack wisdom" focus on your life my brethrem.
did I in any way suggest that I have a problem with the clothes they wear?
Re: Why Do Pastors Always Wear Suits On The Pulpit? by hommespecia: 12:48am On Aug 29, 2016
EazyMoh:

Because its commanded in Islam, and shaving it off completely is a sin. Now answer the OP's question.
I beg to disagree bro.keeping of beard is sunnah,it good to keep your beard but its not sin if you don't keep it.
Re: Why Do Pastors Always Wear Suits On The Pulpit? by jay7(m): 3:41am On Aug 29, 2016
To make them look cooperate.
Re: Why Do Pastors Always Wear Suits On The Pulpit? by egojiokwu(m): 5:13am On Aug 29, 2016
My concern is wearing it in hot afternoon
Re: Why Do Pastors Always Wear Suits On The Pulpit? by delishpot: 5:55am On Aug 29, 2016
newsphase:
It is a style of dresssing that most people are comfortable with, in the sense that it does not give way for an extravagant show of luxury (meaning all those pastors who would want to show off their wealth by wearing other forms of clothing are refused that privilege

Who says suits can not be extravagant, luxurious and flamboyant? Even more than the average Ankara sef. Maybe it is because one will not notice easily if pastor wears same suit every Sunday as all he needs do is change the inner shirt to change the look unlike if he were to wear native outfit. I liken it to school uniform compared to wearing Mufti
Re: Why Do Pastors Always Wear Suits On The Pulpit? by dom(m): 8:09am On Aug 29, 2016
dunno about that. But on a lighter note, I recall a banter I had with my Catholic priest friend years back. He asked me why we lawyers insist on dressing up - in this modern era - in wig and gown, despite it being archaic, and despite the Nigerian weather, and advocated that we should think of something more modern. I smiled and ask him why Catholic priests insist on wearing layers of robes to say mass. lol. (I'm a staunch catholic, by the way).
Re: Why Do Pastors Always Wear Suits On The Pulpit? by EazyMoh(m): 8:25am On Aug 29, 2016
hommespecia:
I beg to disagree bro.keeping of beard is sunnah,it good to keep your beard but its not sin if you don't keep it.
https://islamqa.info/en/1189
Wallahu a'alam!
Re: Why Do Pastors Always Wear Suits On The Pulpit? by oaroloye(m): 10:16am On Aug 29, 2016
SHALOM!

The Suit is the symbolic Ritual Garb of the Oyinbo Oppressors.

These Pastors want to be perceived as "powerful," and "serious," so they ape their ways.

I personally dress as a "slob," with poor and drab clothing- because I want to be respected for my Holy Knowledge, Divine Wisdom, and Divine Understanding- not my Outward Appearance.

Therefore, in over 20 years of active Ministering, I have at this time, ZERO Followers.

I say that that is GOOD.

If I had dressed up, I could have packed people into churches.

But they would have been there for my attire, not YAHSHUA.

They would have been useless in the Field.

I had a co-worker, who had DIABETES. I gave him advice, he refused to take it, he rather heeded the Smart Shirt-wearing Doctor-Pastors, and the Suit-Wearing Pastor-Pastors. He suffered, because Oyinbo Medical Science does not tell the Truth about Disease in general, and Diabetes in particular. Nor do the Oyinbo-trained Pastors tell the Truth about the Gospel.

After much travail, he died- on the advice of the suit-wearers.

None of his many suit-wearing friends did shit to save him.

. MATTHEW 7:9-16.

9. "Or what man is there of you,
whom if his son ask bread, will he give him a stone?
10. "Or if he ask a fish, will he give him a serpent?
11. "If ye then, being evil,
know how to give good gifts unto your children,
how much more shall your Father Which is in Heaven
give good things to them that ask him?
12. "Therefore all things whatsoever ye would
that men should do to you, do ye even so to them:
for this is The Law and The Prophets.
13. "Enter ye in at the Strait Gate:
for Wide is the Gate, and Broad is the Way,
that leadeth to Destruction,
and many there be which go in thereat:
14. "Because Strait is the Gate, and Narrow is The Way,
which leadeth unto Life, and few there be that find it.
15. "Beware of False Prophets,
which come to you in sheep's clothing,
but inwardly they are ravening wolves.
16. "Ye shall know them by their Fruits.
Do men gather grapes of thorns, or figs of thistles?"

I own a suit- it must be 16 years since I last wore the thing! I have several shirts and ties I don't use.

What are these things ultimately worth?

. ZECHARIAH 13:4-5.

4. And it shall come to pass in that day,
that the Prophets shall be ashamed every one of his vision,
when he hath Prophesied;
neither shall they wear a rough garment
to deceive:
5. But he shall say,
"I am no Prophet, I am an Husbandman;
for Man taught me to keep cattle from my youth."

IT USED TO BE THE OPPOSITE.

The Ancients understood that the poorly-dressed guy must be closest to God- not the fellow in robes.

. MATTHEW 11:2-11.

2. Now when John had heard in the prison
the Works of Christ, he sent two of his Disciples,
3. And said unto him,
"Art thou he that should come,
or do we look for another?"
4. Jesus answered and said unto them,
"Go and shew John again those things
which ye do hear and see:
5. "The blind receive their sight, and the lame walk,
the lepers are cleansed, and the deaf hear,
the dead are raised up,
and the Poor have The Gospel preached to them.
6. "And blessed is he,
whosoever shall not be offended in me."
7. And as they departed, Jesus began to say
unto the multitudes concerning John,
"What went ye out into the wilderness to see?
A reed shaken with the wind?
8. "But what went ye out for to see?
A man clothed in soft raiment?
behold, they that wear soft clothing are in kings' houses.
9. "But what went ye out for to see?
A Prophet? yea, I say unto you, and more than a Prophet.
10. "For this is he, of whom it is written,

'BEHOLD, I SEND MY MESSENGER BEFORE THY FACE,
WHICH SHALL PREPARE THY WAY BEFORE THEE.'

11. "Verily I say unto you,

'AMONG THEM THAT ARE BORN OF WOMEN
THERE HATH NOT RISEN A GREATER THAN JOHN THE BAPTIST:
NOTWITHSTANDING HE THAT IS LEAST
IN THE KINGDOM OF HEAVEN IS GREATER THAN HE.' "

When are people going to learn not to judge by outward appearances?
Re: Why Do Pastors Always Wear Suits On The Pulpit? by olak3: 2:21pm On Aug 29, 2016
ikorodureporta:
Thatz a biz idea. U shld also ask why some members wear
suit only on sundays...
As a worker, u are only allow to wear native dress on 1st Sunday of the year during Thanksgiving but every other Sunday ur dress must be English or departmental uniforms
Re: Why Do Pastors Always Wear Suits On The Pulpit? by izmango: 5:19pm On Sep 25, 2016
jcross19:
to a mental slave.
like yourself
Re: Why Do Pastors Always Wear Suits On The Pulpit? by brocab: 1:32pm On Jan 25, 2017
Wearing the right suits is another way to advertise. Pastors wearing the right suits draws in the right people-and the right people draws it the right money, and the right money builds the right Mega Churches. {SIMPLE} And who follows after the beast?
Mrdecent:
Some churches make it a rule that you must be on suit while ministering. My question is why not in our native attire? Is there any sin in promoting our own in the house of God? Please let the pastors in the house give us insight

Originally: Why Is It That Our Pastors Are Always On Suit While Preaching
Re: Why Do Pastors Always Wear Suits On The Pulpit? by brocab: 6:08am On Oct 21, 2017
To be honest, if the Church ran the course the way Jesus wanted it to run, and if the Church read their bibles more often, all Christians would be equally the same as the other.
We have all been through the mill, preaching tithing is preaching another doctrine, between us Christians' one would think, we are all reading the same scriptures from the same bible?
But this isn't the case, many Christians don't read, most rely on their pastors, others pick and choose, this just shows the Spirit of the Lord, is not in every man, woman and child, who claim to be saved.
{Matthew 22:21} Jesus said: give to Caesar, what belongs to Caesar, and give to God, what belongs to God.
Caesar's inscription is on the coin, and God's inscription, is His Word.
The day the Lord called me into His kingdom, I just knew it was my time to be called by the Lord free of charge.
Being touched by the Lord is a incredible feeling, I felt my insides had instantly changed, after I had dedicated my life over to the Lord, I was overwhelmed by His Spirit, I couldn't believe how instant everything was, it took a split second to change me, my eye's had opened like it never opened before, and I could see a new inner man rise from the dead.
As soon as I entered the Church the battle began, Christians had giving me a new direction about Christ, at times I was completely confused, I felt myself walking away from God, and the Church will say, I am Cursed with a cursed if I didn't pay tithes and offerings.
It took some time before I would know the Lords voice, He answered my prayer, but He waited until I could learn to understand Him' and through Word, tithes is a problem among the brethren, it causes arguments and disputes, envy, strife, it reviles evil suspicions, tithes causes greed that causes God's people to backslide and walk away from the truth, it causes men of corrupt minds destitute of the truth who suppose that godliness is their means to financial gain. Then Jesus said: From such withdraw yourselves.
Don't you see, Preaching tithing isn't a smart move, its preaching another doctrine, that causes problems within the Church, there isn't enough information in the bible to prove we are meant to tithe. Ask yourself why didn't the disciples preached tithing, and why didn't Jesus preach tithing.
Your call...

(1) (2) (3) (4) (Reply)

10 Prayer Points That Make Christians Shout & Pray Aggressively / Sex: A Trusted Tool In The Hands Of The Devil / The Story Of A Thief Now Turned Pastor

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 42
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.