Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,153,957 members, 7,821,366 topics. Date: Wednesday, 08 May 2024 at 12:03 PM

Travelling To Canada Part 11 - Travel (45) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Travel / Travelling To Canada Part 11 (912302 Views)

Peace Mass Bus Travelling To Abuja Involved In Fatal Accident,Many Dead(photos) / General U.s.a (student) Visa Enquiries-part 11 / Travelling To Canada Part 10 (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) ... (42) (43) (44) (45) (46) (47) (48) ... (405) (Go Down)

Re: Travelling To Canada Part 11 by mannimakerjnr: 9:33pm On Sep 12, 2016
Wow, I just checked the processing times and Ghana is now 10 weeks from 9weeks last week. My class has already started and my application ia open but medical passsed on 1st September. Going to hav MSc yet it has taken close to 8weeks already! I pray a miracle happens! Applied from Ghana. Anyone in ma shoes?
Re: Travelling To Canada Part 11 by mannimakerjnr: 9:37pm On Sep 12, 2016
It been close to 8weeks already since I applied from Ghana online. Medical passed on 1st Sept and haven't heard anything yet from CiC. Processing time has moved from 9w to 10wks. My class started on 7th and hav up uptil 21st to defer.

I PRAY FOR A MIRACLE! αnчσnє ín mч ѕhσєѕ?
Re: Travelling To Canada Part 11 by Nobody: 9:56pm On Sep 12, 2016
Please, what does the affidavit of sponsor contains?
TemitopeJ16:

Thank you for the candid advise.
in case of next time if I am using my dad but due to insufficient funds , I decide to introduce a co-sponsor,do I need to get affidavit for both of them or only for my Dad.
Re: Travelling To Canada Part 11 by Gymme(m): 10:19pm On Sep 12, 2016
I'm sorry for this late reply. The amount needed is basically to cover for one year living expenses. Sincerely, they don't really emphasis on it because your spouse is coming to work.

VEIL1234:
@ Gymme, good evening. Please what's the amount needed for proof of funds for the SOWP application?
Re: Travelling To Canada Part 11 by Gymme(m): 10:27pm On Sep 12, 2016
1. I have 'personally' not seen anywhere that a Canadian Visa holder needs to enter Canada within a specified period of time after getting the Visa. Maybe someone else has.

2. My simple advice is come to Canada to renew your passport and Visa (that is if you will be in Canada at least 6 months before your passport and Visa expires, just to be on a safe side). The stress of re-applying for the Visa (TRV) in Nigeria can't be compared to the stress of renewing your passport in Ottawa and the ease of extending your Visa in Canada.

Ymc007:
hello everyone. please i will like help on these issues. i already have my TRV but wont be able to make it this year until next fall. my questions are
1) do i have to enter canada within a certain period? like some countries that one has to enter the country with 6mths or 1yr of their visa being issued to you.
1) my visa and passport expires in 2018, i need to extend my study visa because my course is two years. Can i renew my passport before travelling in 2017? will i have to apply for a new visa? or can i just travel renew my passport in canada and apply for study extention
i will appreciate help in these areas please. Thanks

3 Likes

Re: Travelling To Canada Part 11 by Churkie: 10:29pm On Sep 12, 2016
michV:
una wan go canada read book still wan collect their jobs grin..we all should relax and face the TRV first,when you enter canada you ll get to know other hustles that pay. Men na-agba mgbo there..

MichV nwanne, kee mbo fa Na-agba. I choro ibu ntu. grin. Jirikwaya wayo.
Re: Travelling To Canada Part 11 by pearlejiro(f): 10:44pm On Sep 12, 2016
Ymc007:
hello everyone. please i will like help on these issues. i already have my TRV but wont be able to make it this year until next fall. my questions are
1) do i have to enter canada within a certain period? like some countries that one has to enter the country with 6mths or 1yr of their visa being issued to you.
1) my visa and passport expires in 2018, i need to extend my study visa because my course is two years. Can i renew my passport before travelling in 2017? will i have to apply for a new visa? or can i just travel renew my passport in canada and apply for study extention

Dont renew your passport yet. Come to canada with the passport that has the TRV. You can renew your passport from canada and apply for study permit extension. To be honest....applications from inside canada is seamless and less hassle. Good Luck

5 Likes

Re: Travelling To Canada Part 11 by Eraytee: 10:55pm On Sep 12, 2016
TemitopeJ16:

Thank you for the candid advise.
in case of next time if I am using my dad but due to insufficient funds , I decide to introduce a co-sponsor,do I need to get affidavit for both of them or only for my Dad.

irrespective of who is sponsoring u, an affidavit of sponsor is a legal tender which serves as a bind btw u and ur sponsor. it helps the authenticity of ur sponsor
Re: Travelling To Canada Part 11 by Eraytee: 11:17pm On Sep 12, 2016
pepe4reps:
Please, what does the affidavit of sponsor contains?

its a write up that contains all docs(including landed properties if any), relationship, amount of cash available for ur study and every other supporting doc from ur sponsor. its usually Notarized in court by d sponsor. VOs respect legal tenders (notarized copy).

2 Likes

Re: Travelling To Canada Part 11 by Tarry(m): 11:18pm On Sep 12, 2016
shinarambo1:

So you have never heard of international phd holders and medical doctors driving cabs or working security jobs in canada? That's reality. Canada has a small economy for a developed country hence good jobs are competitive. People working in regulated professions like medicine, pharmacy, nursing, accountant e.t.c have no problem "if and only if" they can pass the usually very difficult evaluating/conversion exams. e.g when i say difficult, i mean i have seen a Phd holder in mechanical engineering failing the engineering evaluation exams, a director of pharmacy from a general hospital in Ghana failing the exams e.t.c

Like you have rightly said, not only "nigerian" certificates but those from other countries including EU or US as well are downgraded by canadian employers. Canadians usually have a national pride, hence hold anything from their country (even province) in high esteem than others. e.g a degree from an Ontario instituition would be looked more upon in good faith by an ontario based employer than say a similar or exact degree from an instituition in Manitoba and vice versa.

This is true, many immigrant find it difficult to get good job in Canada with their foreign certificate and end up with menial jobs but many after some professional exam or certificate course in Canada were able to get good job.

The secret is do a course in Canada to improve your chance of getting good jobs

1 Like

Re: Travelling To Canada Part 11 by Tarry(m): 11:23pm On Sep 12, 2016
Ymc007:

The POE letter usually have the same duration as your study permit, that means you can travel to canada anytime before your study permit expires as long as you have defer your admission and you have the new admission letter. when you get to canada you can easily renew both your passport and your study permit
Re: Travelling To Canada Part 11 by thesoj: 11:25pm On Sep 12, 2016
Your post is excessively pessimistic. The picture you paint of Canada is too depressing and is a blanket generalization. For every person you say went to Canada without being able to find a job due to his/her foreign credentials, I can find you another person who also went to Canada but was able to find a good job (in the first 3-6 months) also with foreign credentials.

In order to increase one's chances, new immigrants with foreign credentials looking for a job in a place like Canada (or just about any other western country) will need to do the following:

1. Heavily network with Canadians, and find ways to go to meetups related to your occupation.

2. Modify your accent so that it is extremely clear to the average Canadian. If your grammar is not that good, fix that too. Btw, your Naija accent is fine, just make sure you pronounce and enunciate words clearly.

3. Rewrite your CV so that it fits the style used in countries like the US or Canada (Nigerian CVs have excessive information that make the applicant look unserious to western eyes... no one cares to see your marital status or date of birth or religion, etc)

4. Learn the culture of your new country so that you can easily engage in small talk and humor

5. Do not show outward disdain if you see things that your culture doesn't agree with (e.g. many Nigerians are homophobic and also are outwardly hostile to atheists... many people in western countries will say things that will be opposite your views on these topics)

6. Mingle with people who have different views than you! They will help you learn the new culture and be more tolerant! These same people might have friends that can hook you up with job opportunities.

7. Do your own deep research on how your field of study is practiced in Canada. Don't assume that your PhD/MBA/whatever from Naija automatically entitles you to a job. Nope!

8. Join an active nonprofit and volunteer there to meet and network with tons of people. Also put this on your CV. Bonus points if you join a nonprofit where you can demonstrate and use the professional skills related to your area of desired employment. (Edited)

9. Be extremely competent (by Canadian standards not Naija standards) in your field of desired employment. (Edited)

Many new immigrants have a hard time integrating into new countries because they think their degree(s) should be sufficient in getting them a job. Nope! Employers care as much about your cultural fit into their company as they do about your PhD. A Nigerian PhD is not an impediment to getting a good job in Canada. I have a close friend whose brother got a professorship job in Canada, with a Nigerian PhD.

PS: I didn't say any of this was easy, but it can be done with the right informed strategy!
cc: slydog
shinarambo1:

So you have never heard of international phd holders and medical doctors driving cabs or working security jobs in canada? That's reality. Canada has a small economy for a developed country hence good jobs are competitive. People working in regulated professions like medicine, pharmacy, nursing, accountant e.t.c have no problem "if and only if" they can pass the usually very difficult evaluating/conversion exams. e.g when i say difficult, i mean i have seen a Phd holder in mechanical engineering failing the engineering evaluation exams, a director of pharmacy from a general hospital in Ghana failing the exams e.t.c

Like you have rightly said, not only "nigerian" certificates but those from other countries including EU or US as well are downgraded by canadian employers. Canadians usually have a national pride, hence hold anything from their country (even province) in high esteem than others. e.g a degree from an Ontario instituition would be looked more upon in good faith by an ontario based employer than say a similar or exact degree from an instituition in Manitoba and vice versa.

27 Likes 5 Shares

Re: Travelling To Canada Part 11 by thesoj: 11:45pm On Sep 12, 2016
I agree with the bolded.
Tarry:
This is true, many immigrant find it difficult to get good job in Canada with their foreign certificate and end up with menial jobs but many after some professional exam or certificate course in Canada were able to get good job.

The secret is do a course in Canada to improve your chance of getting good jobs
Re: Travelling To Canada Part 11 by Mcowubaba: 11:47pm On Sep 12, 2016
thesoj:

You're absolutely right, but shinarambo1 is also right about this= a degree from an Ontario instituition would be looked more upon in good faith by an ontario based employer than say a similar or exact degree from an instituition in Manitoba and vice versa.
Those provinces compete with each other and discriminates codedly against each other
Re: Travelling To Canada Part 11 by thesoj: 12:02am On Sep 13, 2016
Hmm... that statement is true only to an extent. There are some schools in Canada that are very well recognized across the country... a degree from any of these schools would be looked upon really well, even looked upon better than several other schools in the province of the employer. Examples of such schools are: University of Toronto, McGill, uWaterloo, University of British Columbia, uCalgary, uAlberta, etc. It also depends on the field of study or industry!

In any case, my disagreement with shinarambo1 is based on the primary premise of his post. I can agree with him that it is in general better to school in the province you want to work in. But it won't hold you back if you go look for a job in another province so long as you are very strategic about it. As I once again mentioned above, the province won't matter significantly if you went to one of the top or well-known schools in Canada or if you are very strategic about your job search.
Mcowubaba:
You're absolutely right, but shinarambo1 is also right about this= a degree from an Ontario instituition would be looked more upon in good faith by an ontario based employer than say a similar or exact degree from an instituition in Manitoba and vice versa.
Those provinces compete with each other and discriminates codedly against each other

4 Likes

Re: Travelling To Canada Part 11 by bosypumpin: 12:57am On Sep 13, 2016
Hi everyone
Greetings from U of Manitoba.
Winnipeg.

Someone asked a question that I would like to respond to. Nigerian applicants were really affected this year.
My class was suppossed to be 15 graduate students in all. I am the only dark skinned lady at the faculty of law as a whole and there are just 4 graduate student- myself, an indian, 2 canadians.

Manitoba is beautiful and deserving of repackaging if delayed.
Cheers to every applicant and to the hopefuls.

11 Likes

Re: Travelling To Canada Part 11 by thesoj: 12:57am On Sep 13, 2016
@Mcowubaba, could you please modify your quote of my post above so it doesn't occupy too much of the page? All you need to do is delete most of the content that you quoted. Thanks.
Re: Travelling To Canada Part 11 by Nobody: 2:19am On Sep 13, 2016
thesoj:
Your post is excessively pessimistic. The picture you paint of Canada is too depressing and is a blanket generalization. For every person you say went to Canada without being able to find a job due to his/her foreign credentials, I can find you another person who also went to Canada but was able to find a good job (in the first 3-6 months) also with foreign credentials.

In order to increase one's chances, new immigrants with foreign credentials looking for a job in a place like Canada (or just about any other western country) will need to do the following:

1. Heavily network with Canadians, and find ways to go to meetups related to your occupation.

2. Modify your accent so that it is extremely clear to the average Canadian. If your grammar is not that good, fix that too. Btw, your Naija accent is fine, just make sure you pronounce and enunciate words clearly.

3. Rewrite your CV so that it fits the style used in countries like the US or Canada (Nigerian CVs have excessive information that make the applicant look unserious to western eyes... no one cares to see your marital status or date of birth or religion, etc)

4. Learn the culture of your new country so that you can easily engage in small talk and humor

5. Do not show outward disdain if you see things that your culture doesn't agree with (e.g. many Nigerians are homophobic and also are outwardly hostile to atheists... many people in western countries will say things that will be opposite your views on these topics)

6. Mingle with people who have different views than you! They will help you learn the new culture and be more tolerant! These same people might have friends that can hook you up with job opportunities.

7. Do your own deep research on how your field of study is practiced in Canada. Don't assume that your PhD/MBA/whatever from Naija automatically entitles you to a job. Nope!

8. Join an active nonprofit and volunteer there to meet and network with tons of people. Also put this on your CV. Bonus points if you join a nonprofit where you can demonstrate and use the professional skills related to your area of desired employment. (Edited)

9. Be extremely competent (by Canadian standards not Naija standards) in your field of desired employment. (Edited)

Many new immigrants have a hard time integrating into new countries because they think their degree(s) should be sufficient in getting them a job. Nope! Employers care as much about your cultural fit into their company as they do about your PhD. A Nigerian PhD is not an impediment to getting a good job in Canada. I have a close friend whose brother got a professorship job in Canada, with a Nigerian PhD.

PS: I didn't say any of this was easy, but it can be done with the right informed strategy!
cc: slydog

This is unrelated to the student thread anyway although they might learn a thing or two from it. I was replying the slydog that asked a general question concerning immigrating not as a student.
International students find it easier breaking into the Canadian job market cos of their Canadian diploma or degree...plus schools have connections with employers.

Also, there is nothing pessimistic about my post. apologies if it feels or looks that way. The poster said his uncle worked in Halliburton in Nigeria now works as a security guard in Canada, and i was only trying to tell him that it was quite common here..no biggie. His uncle working as a security guard today does not mean he wont eventually get his career job later. He is probably working to support the family while the wife completes are academic program. Now it's the turn of the wife to support the family so that the husband can upgrade too. This is also quite common here in Canada.

Evaluating exams are tough?...of course they are..lol. It's good to come prepared.

I am not new to Canada, and I have mastered how the system works to an extent just as some as have mastered visa application process on this thread. I and my wife both work in regulated professions finally. yes..it took us some years to get to our current professional level despite our years of work experience from the UK.

My first job in Canada was in Walmart.lol.I remember my first break on the night shift, out of the 7 of us sat on a table, 6 of us were immigrants with Bsc's and Msc degrees in Engineering..With our total years of experience summed up, we could actually set up our own consulting firm.lol.

1. yes..heavily networking works..In summary "man know man is rampant here", and they don't hide it. My wife got 2 jobs through this means-soccer mums. Out of the last 6 coop students we employed in our unit, 5 have inside connections. Dads and mums work here. The last was a PR Ghanaian student that already has a bsc maths and bsc civil engineering from ghana, and an Msc in civil engineering from the Uk. He is currently on an engineering program again in Canada relying on the school to link him up with a company..foot in the door. I even heard he already has his engineer-in-training status. I am happy for him. He now has strong links.

2. Most of the Indians in our IT dept don't even speak good English and have heavy accents, but they all have diplomas from Canadian polytechnics, so it gave them an advantage. My doctor still has his heavy yoruba english accent after years in Canada and his patient don't have issues understanding him. Aslong has your words are clear..you would be just fine.. Canadian English is very simplified..

3. All immigrants and students know about the resume stuff...That is common knowledge as canadian job market is very competitive.

4. I agree with this point, but this takes time due to culture shock.

5. I know. Don't even tell a girl or lady that she is adding weight..it's an insult to them cheesy

6. Addressed above .. true.

7.,8., are common knowledge.

9. This is one of the reasons canadian employer downgrade foreign certificates. Different country, different rules. different countries, different level of competence e.g you need a 40% to pass a course in most naija school; in alot of canadian school, you need 60% or more. Different province, different rules. Do you think it's advisable that I offer a job of managing a million dollar electrical equipment to a foreigner who just got off a boat cos he/she has an engineering degree from OAU or University of kiev..all because he has some of the qualities you listed above...when I could get someone from my local uni or college whose products have been tested and are trusted? Drive 5 minutes into Manitoba from where I am, and the engineering rules change drastically. For this reason, we prefer to hire from our provincial uni. Some construction codes are two or three semester courses at the local university or polytechnic. We dont care if you have your degree was from the best uni in Nova Scotia or Quebec. I am sure they teach in Quebec to Quebec standards and in Nova scotia to Nova scotia standards too.

Our admin and IT departments may not have problems with that though (non regulated professions)...but most of our hires are from schools in the province. The last Nigerian hired in admin(non regulated) had 15 years work experience from chevron in Nigeria. After working some odd jobs, he decided to take some professional courses at the loc uni. The links from the Uni got him in.

With regards to the professorship. I know a Nigerian that got a lecturing job just as your friends brother but got laid off after 4months when the students filed a complaint that they dont understand his accent. How many Nigerian professors have been able to get a job successfully in advanced countries without he himself schooling in that country at the Msc/Phd level? Dime in a dozen.

Your advise is good..but it is not rigid. I am 100% sure the posters uncle and others knows all these things you listed above. He worked in "Halliburton", a giant multinational cooperation. I worked in the biggest bank in the UK too for couple of years. I sure do know how to write resume, understand oyibo culture, ace interviews, told i have an english accent, excellent volunteer records, have lots gay/lesbian friends e.t.c yet I/we didn't get a job 3-6 months after landing grin.
Not to be rude as I respect your opinion alot, but your points sounds more like a lesson from one of those several classes attended by new permanent immigrants to Canada...usually organized by Canadian born Oyinbo NGO's workers that helps with settling in Canada. It is not really from the perspective of an immigrant that has lived for sometime (say years) in Canada, and understands our the unique system here works.

Aplogies for any grammatical error. Typed the above with my phone.

slydog:

Hi, love your write up. Am currently pursuing my phd here in Nigeria and hope to relocate to Canada when I complete my program next year. The issue is, how easy will it be for me to get a good job, cos my uncle who relocated with his whole family to Alberta HV not been able to get a job. He worked in Halliburton here in Nigeria but currently working as security in Alberta, mean while the wife was able to get a fairly good job there because he enrolled her in a diploma which she graduated from there.
Does it mean they don't really value our certs,? Much less if I come with a phd? Thanks
shinarambo1:

@ slydog. There are many PR holders I know in Nigeria and the US. They have all completed their landing procedures but relocated back to their bases almost immediately. Just like you, they are worried of leaving their good jobs in Nigeria/US and relocating to Canada. Do I blame them? No. These concerns are genuine becuase they do not have jobs waiting for them in Canada. I only know of 3 people out of many that where able to do an inter-company transfer successfully (non-regulated professions).
Talk to your Uncle about your concerns. He is in the best position to advise you. Just like most of us that came here on PR, he probably has lots of friends with Phd's from their countries of origin including Nigeria. They would be in the best position to advise you on how to go about settling when you migrate. A friend of mine came with a Phd in stats from Aussie. It was tough for him in the first 2 years. He worked non-glamorous jobs to support his family, but he eventually got a research position in a uni in BC. The pay is not so excellent, but it's a foot in the door for him. Another Chinese lady I know with a phd from China teaches a technology course in the community college of my province. She told me she had to take some courses though at the local University before she got the offer. I assume you are very close to your brother for him to reveal he works as a security guard (most people would not tell you where they work); therefore, he would have no trouble linking you up.

Apologies for distracting the thread.

11 Likes 1 Share

Re: Travelling To Canada Part 11 by NonelikeGod: 3:18am On Sep 13, 2016
Hello House,
I am trying to apply ONLINE for an SOWP for my husband but the form is asking me for his LMIA No.? What do I do? What does that mean? what do I write?
Please help, I miss my family.
Re: Travelling To Canada Part 11 by Nobody: 5:20am On Sep 13, 2016
mryoung16:

Hi michv, my step/elder brother was my sponsor then, not the same surname and he is Yoruba while am igbo though I was refused based on purpose of visit and current employment situation.
Your current employment letter was dated? What date did you lodge your application?
Re: Travelling To Canada Part 11 by Nobody: 5:23am On Sep 13, 2016
TemitopeJ16:

I did online application and i got my refusal mail on the 23rd of August not up to two months.

Did you also applied for PGD have they called you for medicals
Temitope, your current employment letter was dated? Just reply my crucial question.
Re: Travelling To Canada Part 11 by o2(f): 5:46am On Sep 13, 2016
jessicajessa:
@Tarry is on point here, anyone can do an MBA...and anyone scared to go for it, should put his or her fear to rest because Canadians love an MBA, l repeat they LOVE an MBA....they even recognize it more than Nigerians, they carry it so so very high, close to a PHD not as high as a PHD though and with an MBA here, you are close to landing almost every job you apply for here. The reasons for it's high recognition and things to prove my points are below:

1. The cost (you pay for what you get, Canadians believe that if you can pay for an MBA and complete it, you are extremely serious and your head is there).

2.) One way of stimulating the economy is building businesses which in turn increase employment rate. Who else is going to handle a built business competently, if not for MBA candidate?

3.) After dealing with a field of study e.g engineering, accounting, computing, fishery....etc, you might wanna start up your own business and who is more competent to invest the knowledge of administering your own business if not you? So you going for an MBA have a solid ground because it's safer to invest in yourself than an employee who can leave anytime. #your intention to own a business someday is still a solid option.

4.) Some MBA requires experience which shows it isn't a child's play.

5.) An MBA have huge work load apart from the cost (the VOs would think more about the work load and the amount you paid....he or she would consider you crazy if you wana throw your money away....hence the status of a true student is established ( it isn't easy trust me, the Canadian educational system is draining and very stressful... it's very easy to give up, this is one reason why the VOs go for genuine students). Even my 1st program, half of the students dropped out because it was too hard.

Apart from the above stated reasons, l have had my ears down, close to 80% of people here wish/wana do an MBA (some people after thier original masters), and l know the exclamation l get from telling people l am doing an MBA. It's always like wow! 'l would wanna get one too someday but l want my company to pay for me blah blah blah'. I even had a lecturer in her mid 40s hustling to do her MBA while she taught us....and close to 50% of my course mates who didn't drop out of my first program wanna do an MBA in future after getting some work experience.

So still scared/skeptical to go for an MBA? Put your mind at rest...they value it more.

Worried your CGPA is too low e.g 2:2 (3point or a high 2:2 and above).... don't worry l know a school/university with a foundation course to address that in form of a PGD program (foundation) 1st...but you get an MBA admission letter (the whole program is almost 2years in total), the initial MBA is one year but any discrepancy you have an hope with the above stated route (2years program).

Scared to write a Gmat or you lack work experience, you can go the above stated route too. #feel free to contact me for more info. #mehn, l have written such a long post lol

Hi Jessica. I have applied to Try already but all I have is 5million for my studied and I need like 11milliom for the two years so don't even know what to do.
Re: Travelling To Canada Part 11 by Bioben: 6:53am On Sep 13, 2016
NonelikeGod:
Hello House,
I am trying to apply ONLINE for an SOWP for my husband but the form is asking me for his LMIA No.? What do I do? What does that mean? what do I write?
pm me.
Re: Travelling To Canada Part 11 by thesoj: 7:31am On Sep 13, 2016
I appreciate your (equally long) response to my long post.

From the tone of your write-up, I can see you may have perceived that I was either lecturing you or writing as though I know more than you. I don't. And I apologize if I came off that way. I just meant to give a different perspective.

While you may not agree with what I wrote (I do firmly stand by it all), I wrote it from the perspective of a longtime US resident who has watched and helped new immigrant friends integrate into the system. I also happen to be deeply familiar with Canada as well. If you think the information I gave is wrong and unhelpful, thats fine too (variety of opinion helps to tease out the best ideas), we'll let the readers judge. Btw I didn't write the info on the list primarily for you, I wrote it for other readers like slydog. If the post came off as though I was telling you what you already know, I apologize. But remember that this thread is primarily for other people to learn, the fact that you know the information doesn't mean that we shouldn't provide that information to others.

Finally, I wrote my post in order to balance what I had considered to be the pessimistic tone of your post. But then it seems you think I painted an overly rosy picture, which I didn't. I was very clear that no one is entitled to a job because of his/her MBA/PhD etc, a lot of work has to be done to compensate for the foreign degree but of course I never said anything was guaranteed. Even getting a PhD or MBA in Canada doesn't guarantee anyone a job! I have a brilliant friend with a PhD from a Top-Ten American University and he doesn't have a job and he's been looking for a year... so let's not assume that someone with foreign credentials not getting a job is solely because his/her degree was foreign. There are many variables including industry, age, language skills, networking ability, prestige of the person's foreign university, province in Canada, luck, field of study... etc.

Please reread your first post to slydog and you will see that you didn't provide any advice for him/her. All I felt you did was paint an all-out negative picture without balancing it with helpful information.

Once again, apologies if you feel I offended you or sounded like I know more than I do. I dey humble my guy! grin
shinarambo1:
...Not to be rude as I respect your opinion alot, but your points sounds more like a lesson from one of those several classes attended by new permanent immigrants to Canada...usually organized by Canadian born Oyinbo NGO's workers that helps with settling in Canada. It is not really from the perspective of an immigrant that has lived for sometime (say years) in Canada, and understands our the unique system here works.

7 Likes

Re: Travelling To Canada Part 11 by Thaiwohuthy: 8:28am On Sep 13, 2016
Thaiwohuthy:
Can someone apply for Canadian study permit while in the USA??
Can someone please help me out
Re: Travelling To Canada Part 11 by Odinwa(m): 8:44am On Sep 13, 2016
Skiiiwalker:

annoying part aint even the refusal. i mean one can't force them to allow you in their country, but the gadamn processing time is nuts. now the GS gini file will take another whoping 4-5 weeks. nwoke ana agbada .

This man idikwa very funny oo. But seriously, the more they delay, the more nwoke na agbada. Anyi ga e changi lane this time around
Re: Travelling To Canada Part 11 by Nobody: 9:03am On Sep 13, 2016
NonelikeGod:
Hello House,

Hello ma, I understand that you school at the university of Ottawa. Their Meng program seem to be for 6 semesters,can I do my courses within 3 or 4 semesters? Is this possible?

On their website,they have their tuition to be about 8000 dollars,is this per semester or per year?

Cc khalesi
Ikem01

1 Like

Re: Travelling To Canada Part 11 by VEIL1234: 10:07am On Sep 13, 2016
@Gymme thanks a lot. I have been wondering what the rules are on this. I will contact you on any other issue I might have. Thanks a lot
Gymme:
I'm sorry for this late reply. The amount needed is basically to cover for one year living expenses. Sincerely, they don't really emphasis on it because your spouse is coming to work.

Re: Travelling To Canada Part 11 by Nobody: 10:35am On Sep 13, 2016
Churkie:

MichV nwanne, kee mbo fa Na-agba. I choro ibu ntu. grin. Jirikwaya wayo.
this is not a matter of ntu things.my interest is on the TRV. Thinking of their white collar jobs is never my priority cos my friends there say it's competitive and never easy.TO me if i can do multiple good paying menial job and be surviving and balling till when the white collar + long tie jobs come,i am cool by it. a very young professor from UNIZIK left for US and couldn't get a job, he went into washing dead bodies and other multiple menial jobs he did,now he has built a mansion in my village and taken his family to the US last year.he was boasting when he was building his house that this is his sufferings in the US not by NTU WAY. in essence we all should not think it's rosy to get white collar jobs.it is very very difficult and you must have struggled harder before you can get one unless your destiny lies there to easily come by.my very close friend,his elder brother left for canada last 3years for his masters.he has not got a white collar job up till now, he is doing security guard coupled with other hustling. so my mind is never on their white collar jobs for now.if i get one in a white man's land,i count my self lucky.

3 Likes 1 Share

Re: Travelling To Canada Part 11 by Gymme(m): 10:45am On Sep 13, 2016
You should just ignore the question on the form because you do not need the LMIA no. for your SOWP.

NonelikeGod:
Hello House,

1 Like

Re: Travelling To Canada Part 11 by Nobody: 11:12am On Sep 13, 2016
Avalon316:

Hello ma, I understand that you school at the university of Ottawa. Their Meng program seem to be for 6 semesters,can I do my courses within 3 or 4 semesters? Is this possible?

On their website,they have their tuition to be about 8000 dollars,is this per semester or per year?

Cc khalesi
Ikem01

Ikem01 don run after he got his TRV

(1) (2) (3) ... (42) (43) (44) (45) (46) (47) (48) ... (405)

General German Visa Enquiries Part 3 / Canadian Student Visa Thread Part 21 / General U.s.a (student) Visa Enquiries-part 13

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 143
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.