Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,151,306 members, 7,811,910 topics. Date: Sunday, 28 April 2024 at 11:17 PM

Fulani Herdsmen Aren’t Criminals —emir Of Ilorin - Culture (6) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Culture / Fulani Herdsmen Aren’t Criminals —emir Of Ilorin (20476 Views)

The Emir Of Iwo, Abdulrasheed Adewale Akanbi Rocks Northern Dress In Style / Eid Mubarak: Emir Of Ilorin At Prayer Ground. Photos / 8000-Year-Old Dufuna Canoe Discovered In Yobe By Fulani Herdsmen 1987 (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Fulani Herdsmen Aren’t Criminals —emir Of Ilorin by lawani: 10:21am On Aug 31, 2016
Nowenuse:
Ilorin city is not a yoruba city ethnically. U have yorubas, yorubanized hausas and yorubanuzed fulanis and pure fulanis and pure hausas who speak yoruba as a second language as co owners of the city.

Infact when u talk of Ilorin emirate which includes Moro and Asa LGAs, native nupe speakers are now included as part of Ilorin emirate. So Ilorin emirate which includes the 3 LGAs that make up Ilorin city + Moro & Asa LGAs is a multi ethnic kingdom.

All Ilorin people are Yoruba people. Is that difficult to understand? They are under Yoruba culture, whether the founders of their family compound were Fulani, Bariba, Hausa, Portuguese, English does not matter. They are now Yoruba and even their DNA will say this! Quit going up and down. In a place like Kano, there are millions of Hausas from the Yoruba quarters of the town. Abeg wise up!

2 Likes

Re: Fulani Herdsmen Aren’t Criminals —emir Of Ilorin by AjaanaOka(m): 1:36pm On Aug 31, 2016
Nowenuse:

Yes, thank God u said 'historically' hausa. Now, a new identity called Hausa-fulani has emerged and most hausas and hausanized fulanis are okay with their new identity.
Both pure fulanis, hausanized fulanis and hausas are now co and equal owners of katsina, so no single ethnicity has rights over the city

You do know that people still regard all these places - Katsina, Kano, Zaria, etc - as Hausaland, and no one has a problem with that. Even other Fulanis, especially from the Northeast will readily tell you these places are in Hausaland.

What of Bida that also has a Fulani-descent emir and other elements of Fulani and Hausa origins? Has it stopped being a Nupe city because of that?

But you people want to make an exceptional case out of Ilorin, because of a handful of Hausa and Fulani elements that emigrated and settled in what was and still is essentially a Yoruba town.

Your bias and one-sided logic is showing.

2 Likes 1 Share

Re: Fulani Herdsmen Aren’t Criminals —emir Of Ilorin by N0ble1yke: 10:45pm On Sep 01, 2016
uwagimboo:
It's true, they re not criminals but blood sucking vampires..

Emir Ndi ara..
... its nt only Emir its Aim higher
Re: Fulani Herdsmen Aren’t Criminals —emir Of Ilorin by Nowenuse: 5:30pm On Sep 02, 2016
AjaanaOka:

You do know that people still regard all these places - Katsina, Kano, Zaria, etc - as Hausaland, and no one has a problem with that. Even other Fulanis, especially from the Northeast will readily tell you these places are in Hausaland.

What of Bida that also has a Fulani-descent emir and other elements of Fulani and Hausa origins? Has it stopped being a Nupe city because of that?

But you people want to make an exceptional case out of Ilorin, because of a handful of Hausa and Fulani elements that emigrated and settled in what was and still is essentially a Yoruba town.

Your bias and one-sided logic is showing.

Yes, northwest is still referred to as hausa land, but fulanis also have an equal stake in the region and can claim those places as part of fulani homeland.
Dont mind those fulanis from northeast, these are the same people who will claim that Buhari and Yar'adua are fulani men forgetting that these are northwestern hausanized fulanis and tomorrow they will say that all hausanized fulanis are hausas and that they are the real fulanis. Confusion.

See where u are making the mistake. As for the Nupes and the hausas, their whole lands are culturally incorporated into the Emirate/Sultanate system, hence this has become part of their culture and origin in entirety and they no longer have an origin independent of the emirates. This is very unlike the yorubas whom their majority populations have a traditional custom rulership as part of their culture, history, heritage and identity, so when u remove that in the case of only Ilorin, a big question mark appears as to where the identity of the people has to fall!
Re: Fulani Herdsmen Aren’t Criminals —emir Of Ilorin by lawani: 5:38pm On Sep 02, 2016
Nowenuse:

Yes, northwest is still referred to as hausa land, but fulanis also have an equal stake in the region and can claim those places as part of fulani homeland.
Dont mind those fulanis from northeast, these are the same people who will claim that Buhari and Yar'adua are fulani men forgetting that these are northwestern hausanized fulanis and tomorrow they will say that all hausanized fulanis are hausas and that they are the real fulanis. Confusion.

See where u are making the mistake. As for the Nupes and the hausas, their whole lands are culturally incorporated into the Emirate/Sultanate system, hence this has become part of their culture and origin in entirety and they no longer have an origin independent of the emirates. This is very unlike the yorubas whom their majority populations have a traditional custom rulership as part of their culture, history, heritage and identity, so when u remove that in the case of only Ilorin, a big question mark appears as to where the identity of the people has to fall!

Go and make research. Not all Hausa land fell to the Fulani jihad but majority did. However, no Yoruba land or Borgu land fell to that jihad, part of Nupe fell. The Oyo empire lost territory to the jihad but no present day Yoruba land fell to the jihad. No Yoruba land was signed under British protection by a Fulani descendant and the chief Imam of Ilorin now styled Emir is of Hausa and not of Fulani descent now. Then there are some Yoruba of Hausa, Fulani, Bariba, Nupe and etc descent even in Lagos as indigenes. that does not mean Lagos or Ilorin is not a Yoruba land especially when they are bounded by Yoruba states with Obas to the North and South. This Ilorin debate is a non issue. No depth. let us see how Ilorin is a Fulani town but Jebba is not.

2 Likes

Re: Fulani Herdsmen Aren’t Criminals —emir Of Ilorin by Nowenuse: 5:39pm On Sep 02, 2016
lawani:

All Ilorin people are Yoruba people. Is that difficult to understand? They are under Yoruba culture, whether the founders of their family compound were Fulani, Bariba, Hausa, Portuguese, English does not matter. They are now Yoruba and even their DNA will say this! Quit going up and down. In a place like Kano, there are millions of Hausas from the Yoruba quarters of the town. Abeg wise up!

All Ilorin people cannot be under yoruba culture, because yoruba identity and culture is largely defined by a traditional system of rulership where the people are purely ruled, guided, directed and united by a common traditional system. This is absent in Ilorin!
Most Ilorin indigenes see islam more as a uniting factor unlike what u may observe in other parts of yoruba land where culture is the factor of unity and religion plays a second role.
The average ilorin muslims for instance will most likely prefer a hausa, fulani or any other muslim to assume positions of leadership in their land than a fellow indigene Ilorin christian.

Culture is not just about language alone!

If we even talk about dressing, about half if not majority of Ilorin people dress like Northernerns than normal yoruba dressing.
Their mentality is more like middlebelt and core northern muslims.
Re: Fulani Herdsmen Aren’t Criminals —emir Of Ilorin by lawani: 5:53pm On Sep 02, 2016
Nowenuse:

All Ilorin people cannot be under yoruba culture, because yoruba identity and culture is largely defined by a traditional system of rulership where the people are purely ruled, guided, directed and united by a common traditional system. This is absent in Ilorin!
Most Ilorin indigenes see islam more as a uniting factor unlike what u may observe in other parts of yoruba land where culture is the factor of unity and religion plays a second role.
The average ilorin muslims for instance will most likely prefer a hausa, fulani or any other muslim to assume positions of leadership in their land than a fellow indigene Ilorin christian.

There is no Hausa or Fulani indigene of Ilorin. Just one Hausa compound and one Fulani compound by origin and not present identity. Both are Baloguns. Then you have Ajikobi and Alanamu who are the biggest Baloguns, then Baba Isale, Magaji Aare and etc who trace descent to Oyo, igbomina and etc. It was Ajikobi that signed the protection agreement with the British and he was the traditional ruler then. Alanamu and Ajikobi were exiled by the British. however Ilorin was ruled by Muslims in the past just like Iwo that adopted sharia. At best you say Ilorin was a Muslim state. A Yoruba Muslim state not a Fulani jihad state. A Yoruba Muslim state bounded to the North by jebba a traditional Yoruba state to the Northeast by Borgu a traditional Bariba state.

If we even talk about dressing, about half if not majority of Ilorin people dress like Northernerns than normal yoruba dressing.
Re: Fulani Herdsmen Aren’t Criminals —emir Of Ilorin by lawani: 5:54pm On Sep 02, 2016
Nowenuse:

There is no Hausa or Fulani indigene of Ilorin. Just one Hausa compound and one Fulani compound by origin and not present identity. Both are Baloguns. Then you have Ajikobi and Alanamu who are the biggest Baloguns, then Baba Isale, Magaji Aare and etc who trace descent to Oyo, igbomina and etc. It was Ajikobi that signed the protection agreement with the British and he was the traditional ruler then. Alanamu and Ajikobi were exiled by the British. however Ilorin was ruled by Muslims in the past just like Iwo that adopted sharia. At best you say Ilorin was a Muslim state. A Yoruba Muslim state not a Fulani jihad state. A Yoruba Muslim state bounded to the North by jebba a traditional Yoruba state to the Northeast by Borgu a traditional Bariba state.

So, leave Ilorin people to determine who they are. Leave Borgu people, leave Jebba people, leave Bida people and etc. This constant bickering over Ilorin by non indigenes of the place who are not even Yoruba is very funny to me. If Ilorin people say they are Bariba, Nupe or German, then that is it. You dont need to fret yourself over that. Can they make Jebba go along with them? No. Ofa? No and etc. Can the majority of the 7 or so Ilorin high chiefs support such an id? No. So, what is the point?

Then Jebba land and Ofa lands are more extensive than Ilorin land.

A ni ka je ekuru ko tan lawo, e tun gbonwo e sawo. We are saying the Nigerian experiment should be rounded up and you think where Ilorin will fall is an issue? That means you are not thinking at all. The Bariba will not go under Hausa, maybe Nupe but not Bariba. Not Igala, not Ebira, not Tiv or Idoma and you will cross or bypass those lands before reaching Yoruba land from Hausa land. We are not sharing borders with Hausa! Neither did those people I mentioned fall to the Fulani jihad. Please wise up abeg
Re: Fulani Herdsmen Aren’t Criminals —emir Of Ilorin by Nowenuse: 6:56pm On Sep 02, 2016
lawani:

Go and make research. Not all Hausa land fell to the Fulani jihad but majority did. However, no Yoruba land or Borgu land fell to that jihad, part of Nupe fell. The Oyo empire lost territory to the jihad but no present day Yoruba land fell to the jihad. No Yoruba land was signed under British protection by a Fulani descendant and the chief Imam of Ilorin now styled Emir is of Hausa and not of Fulani descent now. Then there are some Yoruba of Hausa, Fulani, Bariba, Nupe and etc descent even in Lagos as indigenes. that does not mean Lagos or Ilorin is not a Yoruba land especially when they are bounded by Yoruba states with Obas to the North and South. This Ilorin debate is a non issue. No depth. let us see how Ilorin is a Fulani town but Jebba is not.

First of all, as we continue this discourse, u should know that u are talking to an enlightened person well grounded in history and from the North central region, because i have observed that most yorubas on nairaland always feel that every person standing on an issue that affects them must be an igbo person, as if only yorubas and igbos are on nairaland.

First of all, i'd like you to list the parts of hausa land that did not fall to Jihad/Emirate rulership, because the last time i checked, every single part of hausa land has an emirate as a ruler and no traditional chiefdom.
The only group of hausa people who were able to escape the Jihad were the maguzawa people who have their largest populations in Katsina, Kano and Zazzau and these maguzawa hausas who most have converted to christianity today do not have their own independent kingship systems, their territories are still classified under emirates where they pay their dues regularly. Infact in the past they used to pay islamic tax (jizyah) which symbolises conquest.

After u finish listing the parts of hausaland that are not under emirates, i want you to move to Nupe land.
I really wonder if u know what you are saying!

Go and check history again, Mallam Dendo and his descendants succeeded in uniting all Nupe speakers under the Bida emirate by joinning Agaie and Lapai emirate together with Bida, that is why the Emir of Bida doubles as the Etsu Nupe (king of all Nupe people). Nupes in Kwara state are all under the rulership of Lafiagi emirate, an offshoot of Bida while all the Nupe speaking tribes in Kogi (excluding Bassa) are under the Maigari of Lokoja, an ordinary district head under Bida command!

As for the Bassas who are a nupe speaking tribe but are now somehow claiming a seperate ethnicity, of which is not out of place because they are the only nupe speaking group independent of Bida emirate. Many Nupes do not even see the bassas and other nupe speaking tribes in Kogi, FcT and Nasarawa as Nupes and vice versa.

How will u say that No borgu land fell to Jihad? Well, if u mean jihad by war, i agree because only hausa land and Adamawa axis fell to jihad by war of the fulanis in the real sense. But all Borgu people in Kwara, Niger and Kebbi states are under the rulership of emirates and the sultanate
Re: Fulani Herdsmen Aren’t Criminals —emir Of Ilorin by Nowenuse: 7:00pm On Sep 02, 2016
@lawani, i never said that Ilorin is a fulani town! Ilorin is a mixed town and that is where i stood from the beginning.

Look at Lokoja for instance, Okun yoruba, egbirra, Kakanda and Bassa people can all claim indigeneship of the town because it cuts across all their territories. But the case of Ilorin is quite unique.
There are nupe speaking people who are part of Ilorin emirate and as Ilorin city grows, it will definitely encroach into these nupe parts of the emirates.
Re: Fulani Herdsmen Aren’t Criminals —emir Of Ilorin by Nowenuse: 7:18pm On Sep 02, 2016
lawani:

There is no Hausa or Fulani indigene of Ilorin. Just one Hausa compound and one Fulani compound by origin and not present identity. Both are Baloguns. Then you have Ajikobi and Alanamu who are the biggest Baloguns, then Baba Isale, Magaji Aare and etc who trace descent to Oyo, igbomina and etc

Let me pretend that i am not seeing this or probably am not understanding your point here.
All these Ilorin families e.g Saraki, Belgore, Kawu, Alimi, Gambari, Baraje, Jidda, Giwa, Bello e.t.c who are among the movers and shakers of Ilorin, are u saying they are all of yoruba origin from Oyo?
All the names of the families u see there are names of pure hausa and fulfude origin (pure or adulterated) and this clearly points to the origin of these people. That is why i said let me pretend to not see or understand this post, so that i can reply you in a corrective manner.

Some of these big Ilorin families of hausa, fulani and nupe origins still speak their native languages till date because many of them have been intermarrying pure hausa, fulanis and nupes from other states in the north. The emirate has also been encouraging the settling of pure hausa, fulanis and Nupes in Ilorin who are now accepted as indigenes of the city even though they are nor as famous as those big families who have been in the city for lineages.
Re: Fulani Herdsmen Aren’t Criminals —emir Of Ilorin by Nowenuse: 7:29pm On Sep 02, 2016
@ lawani
I'd like to know, are u from Kwara?
I schooled with an Ilorin girl from Bello family, her mother is hausa, so she speaks yoruba and hausa fluently. She never for one day claims yoruba as her tribe. If u ask her her tribe, she just says Ilorin.

Late Abubakar Olusola Saraki, the elder statesman came out before the whole world and said that he is not a yoruba man even though his mother's tongue may be yoruba and that is how it has been with the whole Saraki family in Ilorin, as well as so many other big families and elites of Ilorin. Have u really met true indigenes of Ilorin emirate?? If not i doubt you will talk that way!
And pls when i say Ilorin indigenes, i dont mean Offa or other parts of Kwara south, i mean Kwara central (Ilorin emirate proper)?
Re: Fulani Herdsmen Aren’t Criminals —emir Of Ilorin by lawani: 7:55pm On Sep 02, 2016
Nowenuse:
@ lawani
I'd like to know, are u from Kwara?
I schooled with an Ilorin girl from Bello family, her mother is hausa, so she speaks yoruba and hausa fluently. She never for one day claims yoruba as her tribe. If u ask her her tribe, she just says Ilorin.

Late Abubakar Olusola Saraki, the elder statesman came out before the whole world and said that he is not a yoruba man even though his mother's tongue may be yoruba and that is how it has been with the whole Saraki family in Ilorin, as well as so many other big families and elites of Ilorin. Have u really met true indigenes of Ilorin emirate?? If not i doubt you will talk that way!
And pls when i say Ilorin indigenes, i dont mean Offa or other parts of Kwara south, i mean Kwara central (Ilorin emirate proper)?

Let them be! Face your own land!. Where are you from in North central? I repeat no single ethnic Fulani, Hausa, Malian or Nupe in Ilorin but there are people whose compound was founded by founders from those lands. Same applies to Ilesa, even Lagos but Ilorin came under Nigeria with Ajikobi signature, an Oyo prince.

But let them be. If Ilorin joins Kano or Mali, Jebba will not. So face your own issues. Dont be caught napping! Where exactly are you from?

Then having Emirs does not mean you fell under the Fulani. Even the Obaro of Kabba was wearing a tall crown in the past to resemble a turban, even the Attah Igala and etc. So the Borgu did not at any time fall to the Fulani jihad. No present Yoruba land fell to the jihad but a fulani descendant was made chief Imam now Emir in Ilorin but now removed, replaced by a Hausa descended man. If Hausa cant be Emir in Kano, they should be one in Ilorin pending when the show will come to an end.

Then if you are intelligent, you would ask

1. Is Ilorin contiguous with Fulani controlled territory? No

2. Is Ilorin ruled by a Fulani descendant traditionally? No.

3. Was Ilorin signed under British protection by Fulanis as is the case with Hausa land? No. Ilorin was put under Britain by Balogun Ajikobi an Oyo prince.

4. Is it possible for a Yoruba Muslim city totally surrounded by Yoruba traditional states and populated by Yorubas to identify as Fula or Hausa? No. Because the people are no different from Ibadan people and Ilorin was not the only Yoruba Muslim state in history.

Please park well.
Re: Fulani Herdsmen Aren’t Criminals —emir Of Ilorin by Nowenuse: 7:34pm On Sep 04, 2016
lawani:

Let them be! Face your own land!. Where are you from in North central? I repeat no single ethnic Fulani, Hausa, Malian or Nupe in Ilorin but there are people whose compound was founded by founders from those lands. Same applies to Ilesa, even Lagos but Ilorin came under Nigeria with Ajikobi signature, an Oyo prince.

But let them be. If Ilorin joins Kano or Mali, Jebba will not. So face your own issues. Dont be caught napping! Where exactly are you from?

Then having Emirs does not mean you fell under the Fulani. Even the Obaro of Kabba was wearing a tall crown in the past to resemble a turban, even the Attah Igala and etc. So the Borgu did not at any time fall to the Fulani jihad. No present Yoruba land fell to the jihad but a fulani descendant was made chief Imam now Emir in Ilorin but now removed, replaced by a Hausa descended man. If Hausa cant be Emir in Kano, they should be one in Ilorin pending when the show will come to an end.

Then if you are intelligent, you would ask

1. Is Ilorin contiguous with Fulani controlled territory? No

2. Is Ilorin ruled by a Fulani descendant traditionally? No.

3. Was Ilorin signed under British protection by Fulanis as is the case with Hausa land? No. Ilorin was put under Britain by Balogun Ajikobi an Oyo prince.

4. Is it possible for a Yoruba Muslim city totally surrounded by Yoruba traditional states and populated by Yorubas to identify as Fula or Hausa? No. Because the people are no different from Ibadan people and Ilorin was not the only Yoruba Muslim state in history.

Please park well.

Well, i dont think it makes any difference we arguing or wasting our time about this issue because whether we argue or not, there are some facts we cannot change!

I wish the Ilorin indigenes were here to speak for themselves so that we can hear from the horses mouth directly.
So far so good, majority of the most influential families from Ilorin have never claimed to be yoruba publicly, some like the Sarakis (the most influential family from Ilorin) have publicly disclaimed yoruba identity.

I dont know if u have ever studied the emirate system of rulership and how it functions, pls go and study more about this and use hausa land as a case study. The emirate system promote religion above ethnicity and cultural values. As long as Ilorin is concerned, the traditional leadership of the land will welcome a fulani muslim from Katsina more than the average yoruba from the Southwest when it comes to issues of paramount concern, this is something alien to yoruba culture at large.

Many Ilorin indigenes, leaders and big shots who the society look up to for leadership do not participate in Pan yoruba associations, they never speak on behalf of yoruba people or yoruba issues, they do not celebrate or believe in yoruba traditional festivals and rituals and they never take pride in yoruba culture, history and origin.

If the entire yoruba leadership can accept the extreme differences of Ilorin people and the fact that most Ilorin people will take the command of the fulani controlled Sultanate and oneness as supreme or first before any yoruba influence, then thats great and i wish them goodluck.

The question then remains, what do Ilorin indigenes think of themselves? Do they prefer to declare and identify with yoruba culture and identity or the hausa fulani ones? Which do they emphasize on more? Are they perfectly Okay with the northerner tag or they wish to be united with the southwest just as Okun and Offa (Kwara south) people have been wishing? These are the questions their leaders and elders must come out to answer, it is not by any of us sitting down in our rooms and punching our keypads to declare where these people stand when in true life the case may be different.

Alas, from what we can see so far, the most influential people and traditional leaders of Ilorin tilt towards the North and northern hausa-fulani islamic union and identity than the Omo Oduduwa union and identity and this is something we cannot wish away, it is the reality on ground.
Re: Fulani Herdsmen Aren’t Criminals —emir Of Ilorin by lawani: 10:08pm On Sep 04, 2016
Nowenuse:

Well, i dont think it makes any difference we arguing or wasting our time about this issue because whether we argue or not, there are some facts we cannot change!

I wish the Ilorin indigenes were here to speak for themselves so that we can hear from the horses mouth directly.
So far so good, majority of the most influential families from Ilorin have never claimed to be yoruba publicly, some like the Sarakis (the most influential family from Ilorin) have publicly disclaimed yoruba identity.

I dont know if u have ever studied the emirate system of rulership and how it functions, pls go and study more about this and use hausa land as a case study. The emirate system promote religion above ethnicity and cultural values. As long as Ilorin is concerned, the traditional leadership of the land will welcome a fulani muslim from Katsina more than the average yoruba from the Southwest when it comes to issues of paramount concern, this is something alien to yoruba culture at large.

Many Ilorin indigenes, leaders and big shots who the society look up to for leadership do not participate in Pan yoruba associations, they never speak on behalf of yoruba people or yoruba issues, they do not celebrate or believe in yoruba traditional festivals and rituals and they never take pride in yoruba culture, history and origin.

If the entire yoruba leadership can accept the extreme differences of Ilorin people and the fact that most Ilorin people will take the command of the fulani controlled Sultanate and oneness as supreme or first before any yoruba influence, then thats great and i wish them goodluck.

The question then remains, what do Ilorin indigenes think of themselves? Do they prefer to declare and identify with yoruba culture and identity or the hausa fulani ones? Which do they emphasize on more? Are they perfectly Okay with the northerner tag or they wish to be united with the southwest just as Okun and Offa (Kwara south) people have been wishing? These are the questions their leaders and elders must come out to answer, it is not by any of us sitting down in our rooms and punching our keypads to declare where these people stand when in true life the case may be different.

Alas, from what we can see so far, the most influential people and traditional leaders of Ilorin tilt towards the North and northern hausa-fulani islamic union and identity than the Omo Oduduwa union and identity and this is something we cannot wish away, it is the reality on ground.

You have comprehension problems. No single Hausa, Fulani, Bariba, Nupe or non Yoruba indigene in Ilesa, Ilorin, Lagos or Ibadan, Ijebu or Abeokuta! Which one of them in Ilorin is non Yoruba? But there are people in all Yoruba cities from compounds founded by non Yorubas. The Emir of Ilorin is Yoruba of Hausa descent not even Fulani. Fulani dont allow Hausas to be traditioner rulers on Hausa land. So why say a Gambari is a Fulani man? Pls have sense. A Gambari is not even a Hausa man. Na Yoruba man. They dont call themselves Gambari just as Nupe dont call themselves Tapa. Those are Yoruba nomenclatures for those people. If you bear Tapa or Gambari as a name, you are Yoruba. If a Hausa bears Beerebe or Berber as compound name, that is a Hausa whose compound was founded by Yorubas. Hope you understand now? But I hope you know Ilorin is cut off from Nupe land by Jebba, a huge land with an Oba while the British protection agreement of Ilorin is with a Yoruba man, that man is the Oba of Ilorin.
Re: Fulani Herdsmen Aren’t Criminals —emir Of Ilorin by Nowenuse: 9:47am On Sep 05, 2016
Ignorance is really a problem that sometimes defer treatment.

The most influential families and leaders from Ilorin have disclaimed yoruba identity publicly, deal with that @lawani
Re: Fulani Herdsmen Aren’t Criminals —emir Of Ilorin by Nowenuse: 9:49am On Sep 05, 2016
According to your theory, the Nupe speaking parts of Moro LGA (under Ilorin emirate traditional council and part of greater Ilorin urban area) are now yorubas.
Congratulations for that discovery @lawani
Re: Fulani Herdsmen Aren’t Criminals —emir Of Ilorin by lawani: 10:13am On Sep 05, 2016
Nowenuse:
According to your theory, the Nupe speaking parts of Moro LGA (under Ilorin emirate traditional council and part of greater Ilorin urban area) are now yorubas.
Congratulations for that discovery @lawani
I am speaking of Ilorin city, apparently, the pre Nigerian state of Ilorin contained some Nupe settlements. Those are not Yoruba, they are Nupe but Ilorin is Yoruba. Jebba is not under Ilorin and they are to the North 100km North of Ilorin, adjacent to them would be some Nupe. The state of Ilorin was signed under the British by balogun Ajikobi a Yoruba man. Nupe are not Yoruba, neither are Yoruba Nupe.
Re: Fulani Herdsmen Aren’t Criminals —emir Of Ilorin by lawani: 10:19am On Sep 05, 2016
Nowenuse:
Ignorance is really a problem that sometimes defer treatment.

The most influential families and leaders from Ilorin have disclaimed yoruba identity publicly, deal with that @lawani

Nobody in Ilorin will ever say they are Hausa, at best they say they are Ilorin, the way I will say i am Ijesa. To me, they are Oyo, not different from Ogbomoso or Ibadan. Four of the 6 Ilorin ruling families know their founders as Yorubas, other two are Hausa and Fulani. The masses are Yoruba in everything. you see ebos here and there in Ilorin at junctions. Ajikobi, Alanamu. Magaji Aare, Baba Isale do not deny their Yoruba foundation. Gambari and Fulani dont deny their Yoruba heritage. so how do you think the result of a vote will look like?.
Re: Fulani Herdsmen Aren’t Criminals —emir Of Ilorin by Nowenuse: 10:12am On Sep 06, 2016
lawani:

I am speaking of Ilorin city, apparently, the pre Nigerian state of Ilorin contained some Nupe settlements. Those are not Yoruba, they are Nupe but Ilorin is Yoruba. Jebba is not under Ilorin and they are to the North 100km North of Ilorin, adjacent to them would be some Nupe. The state of Ilorin was signed under the British by balogun Ajikobi a Yoruba man. Nupe are not Yoruba, neither are Yoruba Nupe.

You are now confusing yourself. Ilorin city is part and parcel of Ilorin emirate, an inseperable entity. The king of Ilorin city is also the king of Ilorin emirate (the whole of Kwara central) and the people are all under one chiefdom and traditional identity, so what are you talking here?

The Jebba u are busy blabbing about here since is a 3rd class traditional chiefdom, because the Ilorin emirate (which is the head of Kwara state traditional council) refuses to recognise his supreme kingship of Jebba, with the claims that Jebba has always been under Ilorin and former kings of Jebba have always been coronated and turbanned from Ilorin and this is true!
The current Oba of Jebba is the 5th to assume the throne, showing u that the chiefdom of the town is not old.

Look at the picture of the so called Oba of Jebba below and you can see that he has no resemblance in culture to the usual Obas in yoruba land and this is because he receives his kingship staff of office and turbanning from the Ilorin emirate!

Re: Fulani Herdsmen Aren’t Criminals —emir Of Ilorin by Nowenuse: 10:27am On Sep 06, 2016
lawani:

Nobody in Ilorin will ever say they are Hausa, at best they say they are Ilorin, the way I will say i am Ijesa. To me, they are Oyo, not different from Ogbomoso or Ibadan. Four of the 6 Ilorin ruling families know their founders as Yorubas, other two are Hausa and Fulani. The masses are Yoruba in everything. you see ebos here and there in Ilorin at junctions. Ajikobi, Alanamu. Magaji Aare, Baba Isale do not deny their Yoruba foundation. Gambari and Fulani dont deny their Yoruba heritage. so how do you think the result of a vote will look like?.

See, stop making generalizations for God sake, u are not from Kwara and neither are you from Ilorin emirate. Me i am from neither places and i dont make generalizations about the place because i have met Ilorin indigenes who claim fulani, nupe, yoruba and ilorin tribe itself.

Read this link below and confirm, it was written by Ilorin indigenes who believe they are yoruba because they are afonja's descendants and they clearly noted the fact that their city is in identity crisis and some of their friends claim to be fulani because they are fulani descendants

http://www.thescoopng.com/femi-owolabi-akeem-addio-ilorin-the-city-wrapped-in-a-crisis-of-identity/

Dont just sit in your room in Ogbomosho and be concluding facts you know nothing about. Hear from the horse's mouth!

This is just like someone claiming that the Anioma people of Delta state are 100 % igbos, that is very wrong. The people of Anioma are mixed, some beieve they are igbos and some do not, some still speak igala, yoruba and edo as their mother's tongue in Anioma till date.

Ilorin emirate is a mixed place and nothing can change that! I have met familes from Ilorin who claim they are fulani and Nupes and you have no right to deny them the choice of their ethnicity!
Re: Fulani Herdsmen Aren’t Criminals —emir Of Ilorin by lawani: 11:39am On Sep 06, 2016
Nowenuse:

See, stop making generalizations for God sake, u are not from Kwara and neither are you from Ilorin emirate. Me i am from neither places and i dont make generalizations about the place because i have met Ilorin indigenes who claim fulani, nupe, yoruba and ilorin tribe itself.

Read this link below and confirm, it was written by Ilorin indigenes who believe they are yoruba because they are afonja's descendants and they clearly noted the fact that their city is in identity crisis and some of their friends claim to be fulani because they are fulani descendants

http://www.thescoopng.com/femi-owolabi-akeem-addio-ilorin-the-city-wrapped-in-a-crisis-of-identity/

Dont just sit in your room in Ogbomosho and be concluding facts you know nothing about. Hear from the horse's mouth!

This is just like someone claiming that the Anioma people of Delta state are 100 % igbos, that is very wrong. The people of Anioma are mixed, some beieve they are igbos and some do not, some still speak igala, yoruba and edo as their mother's tongue in Anioma till date.

Ilorin emirate is a mixed place and nothing can change that! I have met familes from Ilorin who claim they are fulani and Nupes and you have no right to deny them the choice of their ethnicity!

You are uneducated. No city is 100 percent anything! But 5 out of 7 Ilorin ruling families claim Yoruba origin from various places including Oyo, Igbomina and etc. The place was put under Britain by the signature of an Oyo prince. So by what measure are you saying it is not Yoruba city? Leave them to decide. Then the Jebba Oba said he is not under Ilorin, the Emirate to him is a contraption, it does not matter whether or not he is third class, the Bariba are not under Ilorin, neither are the Nupe unless they say so. So leave them to decide, worst case scenario is 5 to 7 in favor of merger with their kith and kin but I believe it will be a unanimous decision in favor of being with their kith and kin, they will infact beg to be with their kith and kin because they are not idiots
http://yorubaparapo.com/thread/32/kwara-state-news-discussions?page=14

The Jebba Oba has lambasted the Ilorin emirate, so how do you think he can be checked? Do you think the Emir can annex Jebba or something like that? Despite the court ruling? So learn today, jebba is Igbomina and not under Ilorin
Re: Fulani Herdsmen Aren’t Criminals —emir Of Ilorin by GorkoSusaay: 1:41pm On Sep 06, 2016
Nowenuse:

Nowenuse, you should know that Lawani is a very thick guy.
He never lets facts, history and logic stand on the way of his childish mumblings.
Nice write-up on Ilorin, by the way

1 Like

Re: Fulani Herdsmen Aren’t Criminals —emir Of Ilorin by lawani: 1:56pm On Sep 06, 2016
GorkoSusaay:

He never lets facts, history and logic stand on the way of his childish mumblings.

Gorkosussay who call you here now? Okay let us say other Yorubas ban Ilorin from joining them, will Ilorin now join you? Will they join Nupe or who? Even Bariba will stay alone or join Yoruba! Abeg be serious. Go and join a discussion that can bring you benefit. This one you are joining is a waste of time and energy. You have nothing to gain therein! Are you a child? The Emir of Ilorin is Hausa descent and Hausas are not even allowed to be Emirs on their own land! Abeg wise up! Ilorin will beg to join her kith and kin once Nigeria breaks up and it wont be an issue, they wont even beg, they will just join. If yoy think they will join Sokoto, then you are a sleepwalker! A deluded individual!
Re: Fulani Herdsmen Aren’t Criminals —emir Of Ilorin by Nowenuse: 3:14pm On Sep 06, 2016
GorkoSusaay:

Abeg my brother, i hear u jare.
Some people should just be left to continue in their ignorance and self delusion.

I decline from responding to him henceforth. He does not even know the settings and division of Kwara state. He just continues saying one the same thing irrespective of the loads of fact i am dishing out to him.

1 Like

Re: Fulani Herdsmen Aren’t Criminals —emir Of Ilorin by GorkoSusaay: 4:02pm On Sep 06, 2016
lawani:

Gorkosussay who call you here now? Okay let us say other Yorubas ban Ilorin from joining them, will Ilorin now join you? Will they join Nupe or who? Even Bariba will stay alone or join Yoruba! Abeg be serious. Go and join a discussion that can bring you benefit. This one you are joining is a waste of time and energy. You have nothing to gain therein! Are you a child? The Emir of Ilorin is Hausa descent and Hausas are not even allowed to be Emirs on their own land! Abeg wise up! Ilorin will beg to join her kith and kin once Nigeria breaks up and it wont be an issue, they wont even beg, they will just join. If yoy think they will join Sokoto, then you are a sleepwalker! A deluded individual!

You're killing yourself over what happened 200 years ago. My eyes are set on the future.

Nowenuse:

Abeg my brother, i hear u jare.
Some people should just be left to continue in their ignorance and self delusion.
I decline from responding to him henceforth. He does not even know the settings and division of Kwara state. He just continues saying one the same thing irrespective of the loads of fact i am dishing out to him.
This guy has a circular mindset. Once, an idea is etched into his brain, all facts and evidence MUST lead to that smiley.
It's fun sometimes to poke at the holes in his reasoning, but I just wanted to let you know

1 Like

Re: Fulani Herdsmen Aren’t Criminals —emir Of Ilorin by lawani: 4:18pm On Sep 06, 2016
IF YOU LACK REASON, WHY NOT STAY QUIET? NIGERIA WILL SOON BREAK UP, LET US SEE HOW IT WILL BE, MAYBE FULANI WILL TAKE THE LAND OF YORUBA AND BARIBA AND NUPE THAT THEY WERE NOT CONTROLLING IN THE 19TH CENTURY! UNINTELLIGENT LOT! grin PLEASE CONTRIBUTE SOMETHING THAT MAKES SENSE ABEG. HOW DO YOU THINK A BROKEN UP MIGERIAN SPACE WILL LOOK? WHICH NEW COUNTRIES ON WHICH LAND? WHO WILL JOIN UP WITH WHOM? SAY SOMETHING THAT MAKES SENSE O!

No one can force Ilorin to do what they dont want to do but the city is 100 percent owned by Yorubas, ethnic Yorubas. The Ajikobi owned that city as at 1897. They have the document but they were acting for the Baloguns. Whatever they decide is ok by the UN. If you dont see that, then you are dull. A Sokoto Fulani has no say whatsoever in the matter. Their jurisdiction is Hausa land. No Fulani ruler in Yoruba land at all. The place has been purged of that cos of the airs it gives some Fulanis. So why do you think any part of Yoruba land is a Fulani country? Pls wise up. Yoruba land is well demarcated, we take everything. No one left behind. No Yoruba will join with Nupe or Hausa. Na Nupe fit join with Yoruba. Bariba will stand alone or join with Yoruba. No Hausa in the equation at all. They are big, their land is in NW and SW Niger. If Ijebu, Ilorin or Egba want to stay alone they will but not as a Fulani country that is not even contiguous with Fulani controlled Hausa land. Cant you see that?
Re: Fulani Herdsmen Aren’t Criminals —emir Of Ilorin by GorkoSusaay: 4:40pm On Sep 06, 2016
lawani:
IF YOU LACK REASON, WHY NOT STAY QUIET? NIGERIA WILL SOON BREAK UP, LET US SEE HOW IT WILL BE, MAYBE FULANI WILL TAKE THE LAND OF YORUBA AND BARIBA AND NUPE THAT THEY WERE NOT CONTROLLING IN THE 19TH CENTURY! UNINTELLIGENT LOT! grin PLEASE CONTRIBUTE SOMETHING THAT MAKES SENSE ABEG. HOW DO YOU THINK A BROKEN UP MIGERIAN SPACE WILL LOOK? WHICH NEW COUNTRIES ON WHICH LAND? WHO WILL JOIN UP WITH WHOM? SAY SOMETHING THAT MAKES SENSE O!

Watch out for the High Blood pressure Mr. Akin Lawanson

1 Like

Re: Fulani Herdsmen Aren’t Criminals —emir Of Ilorin by lawani: 5:04pm On Sep 06, 2016
GorkoSusaay:

THANKS AND HELP ME BY BEING MORE ARTICULATE NEXT TIME!
Re: Fulani Herdsmen Aren’t Criminals —emir Of Ilorin by lawani: 5:42pm On Sep 06, 2016
GorkoSusaay:

You're killing yourself over what happened 200 years ago. My eyes are set on the future.

This guy has a circular mindset. Once, an idea is etched into his brain, all facts and evidence MUST lead to that smiley.
It's fun sometimes to poke at the holes in his reasoning, but I just wanted to let you know

As Hausa Fulani, know where you control, I like people to be smart not slow. Be articulate. If you are dreaming of controlling Kwara and Niger state that you never controlled before, that is not smart at all. It is pure fantasy. Will Ilorin, Jebba, New Bussa and etc submit to you?. Please dont delude yourself. Sit up and face reality. I like people to be smart. If Ilorin does not join Yoruba, how can they join Sokoto? Is that possible? I dont like wasting time with people who think like they are in the kindergarten abeg
Re: Fulani Herdsmen Aren’t Criminals —emir Of Ilorin by lawani: 8:34pm On Sep 06, 2016
Gorkossussay and your likes. You are all irritating. You are foreigners to us, you hear? Oduduwa reject you! You have your own identity please. Sokoto, Kano, Adamawa Fulanis and etc have not a single say on the tiniest bit of Bariba or Yoruba land. How can a buffoon like you from maybe Sokoto or Kano be pokenosing in Ilorin issue? Pls dont give me heart attack I beg!
Re: Fulani Herdsmen Aren’t Criminals —emir Of Ilorin by Baaballiyo(m): 9:49pm On Sep 10, 2016
GorkoSusaay:

The last time I checked Lawani was saying the Emir of Ilorin is of yoruba decent, and now this coming from him.

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (Reply)

Alaafin Of Oyo Fights For Boxing Title- The Vanguard / The Hidden History Of White Slavery! / Ooni, Alafin Of Oyo, Aregbesola, Oba Of Lagos At A Summit On Yoruba Language

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 160
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.