Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,153,200 members, 7,818,666 topics. Date: Sunday, 05 May 2024 at 09:21 PM

Has A Nigerian Ever Written Science Fiction Or Fantasy? - Literature (2) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Entertainment / Literature / Has A Nigerian Ever Written Science Fiction Or Fantasy? (11331 Views)

E. Fantasy(short Stories) / Top Three Fiction Or Non-fiction Books Read / Atlantis A Fiction Or Reality (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Has A Nigerian Ever Written Science Fiction Or Fantasy? by Adeyinka12(m): 6:57am On Sep 30, 2016
2009 ! , this is stale men
Re: Has A Nigerian Ever Written Science Fiction Or Fantasy? by CHYMZZY(m): 7:01am On Sep 30, 2016
The place you are will always be the outcome of what you think or imagin.

If our dear Nigeria is healthy as US,Germany.Russia,France, were piority is placed on innovative research and education. Why wont our writer , but reverse is the case.
Were so many of our writers only write of the happening around them..
If you think it's a lie, check Nollywood film and KENNYWOOD hausa film never begin in my own evalution what is called film..
Re: Has A Nigerian Ever Written Science Fiction Or Fantasy? by mikool007(m): 7:01am On Sep 30, 2016
Hey Am frm the future,pls can you tell me in 2009 to leave Nigeria before buhari enters, tnks grin

5 Likes 2 Shares

Re: Has A Nigerian Ever Written Science Fiction Or Fantasy? by johnnyrex(m): 7:24am On Sep 30, 2016
Yeah *IBINU ODE NINU IGBO OLODUMARE* it was written in Yoruba tho

1 Like

Re: Has A Nigerian Ever Written Science Fiction Or Fantasy? by Afam1103(m): 7:31am On Sep 30, 2016
I have written a short fantasy story. You can check it out on https://afamthewriter./category/fantasy/
Re: Has A Nigerian Ever Written Science Fiction Or Fantasy? by pocohantas(f): 7:43am On Sep 30, 2016
Make una try dey create topics abeg.
It's obvious there is scarcity of new topics.
Re: Has A Nigerian Ever Written Science Fiction Or Fantasy? by syndrum(m): 7:48am On Sep 30, 2016
There's a group out there called 'Gifted Fathers Circle',they are bunch of indigenous creative writers but the only problem they are having is that they're all set of Yoruba writers... but I always enjoy there novel tho, I've read : The Ghost, Son of Devil, Biography and Serve... K think you need to check it out

1 Like

Re: Has A Nigerian Ever Written Science Fiction Or Fantasy? by freesinzu(m): 8:04am On Sep 30, 2016
syndrum:
There's a group out there called 'Gifted Fathers Circle',they are bunch of indigenous creative writers but the only problem they are having is that they're all set of Yoruba writers... but I always enjoy there novel tho, I've read : The Ghost, Son of Devil, Biography and Serve... K think you need to check it out

I dont understand, problem being Yoruba writers pls explain

1 Like

Re: Has A Nigerian Ever Written Science Fiction Or Fantasy? by OrlandoOwoh(m): 8:07am On Sep 30, 2016
Amos Tutuola and D.O. Fagunwa wrote fantasy novels.

1 Like

Re: Has A Nigerian Ever Written Science Fiction Or Fantasy? by Janet101(f): 8:13am On Sep 30, 2016
Farad by Emmanuel Iduma.
Re: Has A Nigerian Ever Written Science Fiction Or Fantasy? by Nobody: 8:19am On Sep 30, 2016
i am writing one, excerpts can be seen on the Literature section of NL. Search for Earth is a Baby.

By the way, Nnedi has Binti which has won the Hugo Awards.
Re: Has A Nigerian Ever Written Science Fiction Or Fantasy? by Zikdik(m): 8:22am On Sep 30, 2016
proproman:
Thanks. I'll check em out. I thought there was nothing like fantasy in this country given that everyone is writing either a mournful story about life or "ayo and seyi". I've got loads of ideas and can't wait to start writing. Thanx a lot.

And by the way, A LOT is wrong with "eze and the fisherman".
A lot is wrong with your literary orientation or lack of it. A whole lot.
Re: Has A Nigerian Ever Written Science Fiction Or Fantasy? by Nobody: 8:38am On Sep 30, 2016
So nobody even noticed Nnedi Okorafor Mbachu used nairaland in the past for a full year? Makes me feel I can come across Chimamanda Ngozi Adichie here one day. A lot of foreign based Nigerians always have a stint on this forum, why? I don't know.

2 Likes

Re: Has A Nigerian Ever Written Science Fiction Or Fantasy? by Dexema(m): 8:40am On Sep 30, 2016
proproman:
just wanted to ask. am a start up writer (sort of) and i want to write fiction, sci-fi and fantasy especially. am wondering if any Nigerian has ever written under either of the genres, as in a really good work not ''eze and the fisherman'', so anyone?[color=][/color]

Go and check for "Hong: The Advent of Dawn" a book by Qwekumalhi Ikenna Onyekwena a beautiful fantasy story set around a Nigerian town in Adamawa state.
Re: Has A Nigerian Ever Written Science Fiction Or Fantasy? by Orikinla(m): 8:43am On Sep 30, 2016
Yes, OP.
Nigerian writers have been writing science fiction and fantasy novels since Amos Tutuila's novels to Helen Oyeyemi's award winning bestseller "Icarus Girl" and Nnedi Okorafor won the highly coveted 2016 Hugo Award for her 'Binti'.

Re: Has A Nigerian Ever Written Science Fiction Or Fantasy? by Orikinla(m): 8:47am On Sep 30, 2016
charix:
So nobody even noticed Nnnedi Okoroafor Mbachu used nairaland in the past for a full year? Makes me feel I can come across Chimamanda here. A lot of foreign based Nigerians always have a stint on this forum, why? I don't know.
Nnedi is currently the most popular Nigerian science fiction and fantasy novelist of international status.

Re: Has A Nigerian Ever Written Science Fiction Or Fantasy? by Orikinla(m): 8:49am On Sep 30, 2016
OrlandoOwoh:
Amos Tutuola and D.O. Fagunwa wrote fantasy novels.
Majority of people are even ignorant of this fact.
Re: Has A Nigerian Ever Written Science Fiction Or Fantasy? by CSTR2: 8:51am On Sep 30, 2016
Nnedi Okoroafor is the best Science fiction writer of Nigerian origin right now. Winning prestigious awards left, right and center.
Re: Has A Nigerian Ever Written Science Fiction Or Fantasy? by OrlandoOwoh(m): 9:13am On Sep 30, 2016
Orikinla:
Majority of people are even ignorant of this fact.
The Palmwine Drinkard and Igbudo Onireke are classics.
Re: Has A Nigerian Ever Written Science Fiction Or Fantasy? by OsoDupe(f): 10:17am On Sep 30, 2016
Check out 'Guardians of the Seal' by Tunde Leye on okada books, though I've not read it, he never disappoint. I can bet you it will be a good read.
Re: Has A Nigerian Ever Written Science Fiction Or Fantasy? by jedyjedy(m): 10:21am On Sep 30, 2016
you have definitely not read "Ogboju Ode ninu Igbo Irunmole".
Re: Has A Nigerian Ever Written Science Fiction Or Fantasy? by vikaosi: 10:39am On Sep 30, 2016
Cheetawich:
someone just pointed me to this thread.

i wrote zahrah. it won the wole soyinka prize last year. it's a good book. :-)

i write sf and fantasy based on and set in nigeria or west africa. zahrah was my first novel, the second was the shadow speaker. ive got two novels coming out in 2010, one is more sf, the other is fantasy. learn more here: http://nnedi.com

glad to hear someone ask this question. :-D!!

take care
Prof Nnedi? Wao I have read Zara and What Sunny Saw in the flame. They are great books. The problem, I think, is access to your books.

1 Like

Re: Has A Nigerian Ever Written Science Fiction Or Fantasy? by 1boylikevhis(m): 11:19am On Sep 30, 2016
I was working on one before i despaired from relatively low readership. I could upload the prologue on special demand.
Re: Has A Nigerian Ever Written Science Fiction Or Fantasy? by Angelsss(f): 11:33am On Sep 30, 2016
the question should be.... would Nigerians love to read Fantasy or Science fiction?
Re: Has A Nigerian Ever Written Science Fiction Or Fantasy? by Eze2000(m): 11:46am On Sep 30, 2016
proproman:
just wanted to ask. am a start up writer (sort of) and i want to write fiction, sci-fi and fantasy especially. am wondering if any Nigerian has ever written under either of the genres, as in a really good work not ''eze and the fisherman'', so anyone?[color=][/color]

I'm doing something like it right now but not quite cvos mine is tainted with real facts.

DIRTY DIAMONDS OF BOKO HARAM.

The part 1 of my book is available right here on Nairaland's literature section as is another of my books...RUTHLESS BETRAYALS

https://www.nairaland.com/2941054/ruthless-betrayals-story-love-betrayals

Re: Has A Nigerian Ever Written Science Fiction Or Fantasy? by cedrick: 1:10pm On Sep 30, 2016
Indomitables

Re: Has A Nigerian Ever Written Science Fiction Or Fantasy? by wackpoet(m): 1:16pm On Sep 30, 2016
Cheetawich:
someone just pointed me to this thread.

i wrote zahrah. it won the wole soyinka prize last year. it's a good book. :-)

i write sf and fantasy based on and set in nigeria or west africa. zahrah was my first novel, the second was the shadow speaker. ive got two novels coming out in 2010, one is more sf, the other is fantasy. learn more here: http://nnedi.com

glad to hear someone ask this question. :-D!!

take care
OMFG!!! To think this amazing writer and person commented on a thread and it didn't reach fp till after 7 rivers, 7 mountains and 7 YEARS!! Nairaland sha
Re: Has A Nigerian Ever Written Science Fiction Or Fantasy? by Wryhder: 3:04pm On Sep 30, 2016
Angelsss:
the question should be.... would Nigerians love to read Fantasy or Science fiction?
You're kidding, right? That thing about Nigerians not being readers is a myth.
Re: Has A Nigerian Ever Written Science Fiction Or Fantasy? by alolatee(m): 7:30pm On Sep 30, 2016
proproman:

Elechi Amadi wrote some science fiction in his book, 'sunset in Biafra'.He wrote of people who want an end to their lives taking a machine av forgotten the name but like tele-something and they fly away and not seen again.
Re: Has A Nigerian Ever Written Science Fiction Or Fantasy? by SegilolaSalami: 6:45pm On Nov 06, 2016
Just to add to the thread, Abiku: A Battle Of Gods is a paranormal fantasy http://www.segilolapublishing.com/product/abiku-a-battle-of-gods/

(1) (2) (3) (Reply)

Lets Do Haiku! / Calling All Writers Contest 1: A Challenge So Great / Nonfiction Books: State Your Preference Here

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 30
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.