Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,150,619 members, 7,809,271 topics. Date: Friday, 26 April 2024 at 07:06 AM

Has A Nigerian Ever Written Science Fiction Or Fantasy? - Literature - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Entertainment / Literature / Has A Nigerian Ever Written Science Fiction Or Fantasy? (11302 Views)

E. Fantasy(short Stories) / Top Three Fiction Or Non-fiction Books Read / Atlantis A Fiction Or Reality (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (Reply) (Go Down)

Has A Nigerian Ever Written Science Fiction Or Fantasy? by proproman(m): 1:42am On Oct 04, 2009
just wanted to ask. am a start up writer (sort of) and i want to write fiction, sci-fi and fantasy especially. am wondering if any Nigerian has ever written under either of the genres, as in a really good work not ''eze and the fisherman'', so anyone?[color=][/color]

2 Likes

Re: Has A Nigerian Ever Written Science Fiction Or Fantasy? by africhika(f): 7:47pm On Oct 04, 2009
hey what's wrong with eze and the fisherman? cool

there's a fantasy book out by author Nnedi Okorafor-Mbachu called Zahra the Windseeker. i haven't read it but from the summary, it seems like it blended aspects of 9ja culture into a fantasy book.
_________________________________________________________________________________________________________________

Here is the summary:
Zahrah the Windseeker is not only an eponymous story of Zahrah Tsami, the protagonist of the story; it is a book of adventures, possibilities, and unknown realities. The novel beckons us all: young and old into a world where all things are possible, a world without borders, free from the restrictions that our reality places on us. Zahrah was born a ‘dada’ a child with dreadlocks, with green vines woven into it. This implies
that she has supernatural powers that she did not get to know until she was thirteen, after her first menstruation. Initially her uniqueness was a burden that separated her and made her the clown of the class.

The world of Zahrah is a world with a magical stint. A world of CPU seeds, digibooks, netevisions, talking compasses, hydrogen and flora-powered cars, leaf-clipping and mending beetles, to mention a few. It is a world that connects the present with the distant past and the unknown future; a world of in-betweenness’.

Now to the story: Zahrah and Dari are friends; Dari continues to search for knowledge, he believes that there is more to the world than Ooni kingdom. This passion for the unknown fuels his drive for adventure as he visits the Dark Market (a mythical world of evil) which is not entirely true.The Dark Market is the beginning of their exploration into the world of the unknown. Their thirst for knowledge leads them into the Forbidden Green Jungle on the outskirts of the village, an entirely different civilization shrouded by myths of evil, intended to stop people from discovering it. On one of their journeys to the jungle, Dari is bitten by a war snake; the effect: a coma; the cure: an unfertilized elgort egg. What is an elgort? According to the Forbidden Greeny Jungle Guide: it is a nasty beast, the most deadly in the Greeny Jungle, the Ultimate killing machine.

What did Zahrah do? Did Dari die?

8 Likes

Re: Has A Nigerian Ever Written Science Fiction Or Fantasy? by africhika(f): 7:52pm On Oct 04, 2009
And then there's Pandora's Comics. They publish 2 fantasy comic book stories called Aisha and Street Soccer. Aisha and street soccer boys are undercover super heroes.

AISHA
She is an Orphan with Attitude, A trained Ninja. She is caught up in a dog eat dog world of Intelligence Operatives where nothing is what it appears to be.

STREET SOCCER
This is a Story about Street Soccer and all that goes in such underleagues. It highlights Misfits – Players who are unconventional in various aspects- Stature, Height, Weight but gifted with awesome skills. They face a Team of Rugged, Strong and Dangerous Players.

5 Likes

Re: Has A Nigerian Ever Written Science Fiction Or Fantasy? by proproman(m): 10:49am On Oct 05, 2009
Thanks. I'll check em out. I thought there was nothing like fantasy in this country given that everyone is writing either a mournful story about life or "ayo and seyi". I've got loads of ideas and can't wait to start writing. Thanx a lot.

And by the way, A LOT is wrong with "eze and the fisherman".

2 Likes

Re: Has A Nigerian Ever Written Science Fiction Or Fantasy? by Nobody: 3:08pm On Oct 05, 2009
early books like the Ogboju series were mainly non-English fantasy. Likewise the Palm wine Drinkard- fantasy written in "funny" English.

Zahra the Windseeker received some publicity when it first came out (I read a review about it), but somehow was allowed to slip out of the public eye. I'm just remembering now that I meant to read it all those years ago.

1 Like

Re: Has A Nigerian Ever Written Science Fiction Or Fantasy? by Cheetawich: 11:33am On Oct 19, 2009
someone just pointed me to this thread.

i wrote zahrah. it won the wole soyinka prize last year. it's a good book. :-)

i write sf and fantasy based on and set in nigeria or west africa. zahrah was my first novel, the second was the shadow speaker. ive got two novels coming out in 2010, one is more sf, the other is fantasy. learn more here: http://nnedi.com

glad to hear someone ask this question. :-D!!

take care

13 Likes 3 Shares

Re: Has A Nigerian Ever Written Science Fiction Or Fantasy? by tpia5: 2:04am On Feb 13, 2013
interesting.
Re: Has A Nigerian Ever Written Science Fiction Or Fantasy? by ogorluv(m): 11:10am On Mar 03, 2013
Cheetawich: someone just pointed me to this thread.

i wrote zahrah. it won the wole soyinka prize last year. it's a good book. :-)

i write sf and fantasy based on and set in nigeria or west africa. zahrah was my first novel, the second was the shadow speaker. ive got two novels coming out in 2010, one is more sf, the other is fantasy. learn more here: http://nnedi.com

glad to hear someone ask this question. :-D!!

take care

How can I get a copy, I am located in PH. I am an avid reader and I enjoy SF and fantasy.

1 Like

Re: Has A Nigerian Ever Written Science Fiction Or Fantasy? by tpiah11: 10:51pm On Oct 28, 2015
i havent read Zahra the Windseeker yet, will check it out.

sounds very esoteric though
Re: Has A Nigerian Ever Written Science Fiction Or Fantasy? by quinzzer: 7:18pm On Sep 29, 2016
I am a Nigerian writer of science fiction but has remained unpublished for the past 10 years. I have written a collection of short stories, full-length novels and novellas. One of my novels, Moon Rider Milestones, is thought provoking and set in deep space. I think it's time I got my novels published but there are no genre publishers in Nigeria

2 Likes

Re: Has A Nigerian Ever Written Science Fiction Or Fantasy? by Dottore: 6:21am On Sep 30, 2016
Which science again would a Nigerian write about.
Re: Has A Nigerian Ever Written Science Fiction Or Fantasy? by veekid(m): 6:21am On Sep 30, 2016
shocked shocked this is a thread from 2009? Makes front-page in 2016, that's a lesson for us o........use the like button if you understand wor I mean.

The OP sef no longer surf Nairaland

26 Likes 1 Share

Re: Has A Nigerian Ever Written Science Fiction Or Fantasy? by TIREDOFSEX(f): 6:22am On Sep 30, 2016
[size=30pt]2009 [/size]

Shey the person wey post this thing still dey alive

5 Likes

Re: Has A Nigerian Ever Written Science Fiction Or Fantasy? by Nobody: 6:23am On Sep 30, 2016
None that i know
Re: Has A Nigerian Ever Written Science Fiction Or Fantasy? by mmsen: 6:24am On Sep 30, 2016
OP has never heard of Ben Okri?
Re: Has A Nigerian Ever Written Science Fiction Or Fantasy? by SamJed(m): 6:25am On Sep 30, 2016
Have u heard of the award winning book BINTI

2 Likes

Re: Has A Nigerian Ever Written Science Fiction Or Fantasy? by tuzle(m): 6:30am On Sep 30, 2016
i would love to read a fatansy novel written by a nigerian. But i am scared dat my first attemp will turn me off completely
Re: Has A Nigerian Ever Written Science Fiction Or Fantasy? by slimdick(m): 6:32am On Sep 30, 2016
all the books written by the Late D.O. Fagunwa were books on fantasy. you can google on the name to know a little about the beautiful writer we were once blessed with
Re: Has A Nigerian Ever Written Science Fiction Or Fantasy? by jerikoyan(m): 6:35am On Sep 30, 2016
Vizan Tragedy by Kunle Awobodu
Re: Has A Nigerian Ever Written Science Fiction Or Fantasy? by sommyblaze(m): 6:37am On Sep 30, 2016
Chaiii, 2009 post
those Mods den no try stall ooo.

1 Like

Re: Has A Nigerian Ever Written Science Fiction Or Fantasy? by TONYE001(m): 6:39am On Sep 30, 2016
proproman:
just wanted to ask. am a start up writer (sort of) and i want to write fiction, sci-fi and fantasy especially. am wondering if any Nigerian has ever written under either of the genres, as in a really good work not ''eze and the fisherman'', so anyone?[color=][/color]

Good morning brother.

How do you do?

I'm glad to read that you have interest in writing..and I wish you success as you start your pen-adventure.

Hope this isn't derailing; have you read Condemned? https://www.nairaland.com/3092322/condemned

Though it's not a sci-fi..it's a crime and action thriller..a suspense-filled package ..another type that is scarce in this region.

The link above would take you to the unedited version published here on Nairaland.. (I actually wrote the story here...)..the comments are amazing..the reviews are encouraging.. It made FrontPage as at the time I was writing it..

This isn't an advert, no. Remember, it has already made FrontPage some months ago with an unbelievable number of readers...and followers.. I implore you to go through it...from start to end... I believe it would help you..one way or the other.

I shall await your response.

Cheers.

Good morning.
Re: Has A Nigerian Ever Written Science Fiction Or Fantasy? by angelTI(f): 6:39am On Sep 30, 2016
This shows nothing is impossible! Imagine a thread of over 7yrs hitting FP
Re: Has A Nigerian Ever Written Science Fiction Or Fantasy? by kaen1317: 6:39am On Sep 30, 2016
It's only when the body and mind are settled and content can you begin to think scientifically and fantasize. But in Nigeria today its easier for our authors to write about hunger and recession because that's what's closer to their heart at this time
Re: Has A Nigerian Ever Written Science Fiction Or Fantasy? by Techpaded(f): 6:39am On Sep 30, 2016
Ok
Re: Has A Nigerian Ever Written Science Fiction Or Fantasy? by fikfaknuel(f): 6:44am On Sep 30, 2016
proproman:
Thanks. I'll check em out. I thought there was nothing like fantasy in this country given that everyone is writing either a mournful story about life or "ayo and seyi". I've got loads of ideas and can't wait to start writing. Thanx a lot.

And by the way, A LOT is wrong with "eze and the fisherman".
Be respectful to Nigerian literature. Not everyone writes 'ayo and seyi'.
Re: Has A Nigerian Ever Written Science Fiction Or Fantasy? by slap1(m): 6:44am On Sep 30, 2016
Nnedi Okoroafor Mbachu has not only written sci-fi and fantasy novels, but she has won major awards for them. Recently she won the Hugo and Nebula awards. She is one of the most hardworking writers I've known.

4 Likes

Re: Has A Nigerian Ever Written Science Fiction Or Fantasy? by joudini(m): 6:46am On Sep 30, 2016
I read a couple back in the day. There was one which had Nigeria and South Africa in a cold war and there was a nuclear or EMP weapon implanted at the Lagos port.
Re: Has A Nigerian Ever Written Science Fiction Or Fantasy? by EVERCUTE(m): 6:46am On Sep 30, 2016
Quite a number of fantasy novels were written by D.O Fagunwa, but in Yoruba language.

1 Like

Re: Has A Nigerian Ever Written Science Fiction Or Fantasy? by missuniverse(f): 6:50am On Sep 30, 2016
And the OP was last seen in 2013...
Re: Has A Nigerian Ever Written Science Fiction Or Fantasy? by ERONX(m): 6:50am On Sep 30, 2016
This Topic was created once 2009 na wah for this mods una no dey try
Re: Has A Nigerian Ever Written Science Fiction Or Fantasy? by kyrios: 6:52am On Sep 30, 2016
Imagine topic that was created in 2009 come dey make fp about 7 years later na this kind thing them dey use do testimony for church

5 Likes 1 Share

(1) (2) (3) (Reply)

Ayobami Adebayo Wins £15,000 9mobile Prize For Literature / Lets Do Haiku! / Gentlemen Of The Bar

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 30
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.