Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,150,799 members, 7,810,078 topics. Date: Friday, 26 April 2024 at 08:11 PM

Zuckerberg’s Non-verbal Message To Nigerian Entrepreneurs - Business - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Business / Zuckerberg’s Non-verbal Message To Nigerian Entrepreneurs (27991 Views)

Startup Funds For Nigerian Entrepreneurs / Five Challenges Of Nigerian Entrepreneurs / N800 For Stamp Duty Charge? Diamond Bank Sent This Message To Me (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (Reply) (Go Down)

Zuckerberg’s Non-verbal Message To Nigerian Entrepreneurs by Saintdix(m): 12:23pm On Sep 09, 2016
http://naijanewsline.com/2016/09/09/zuckerbergs-non-verbal-message-to-nigerian-entrepreneurs/

Babatunde Fajimi, kairosbsng@gmail.com, 07080511600

Nigerian entrepreneurs can learn from the recent low-key business visit of Mark Zuckerberg.

Mark Zuckerberg, the tech entrepreneur and young billionaire is a fairy tale of how a college student became the founder and manager of Facebook (from its forerunner, Facemash), one of the most influential websites in the world.

He was in Nigeria the previous week. He went around Yaba, Victoria Island and Lekki in Lagos, the economic heartbeat; and later Abuja, symbol of power of Nigeria.

He met with young technologists, social entrepreneurs, technology companies, investors, Nollywood stars and government functionaries. He talked, walked, jogged and shared meals with everyday people. His humility, simplicity and fraternity with people belie his $54.5bn worth and are a sharp contrast to the pictures of rich people in this clime.

With his visit and lifestyle, Zuckerberg communicated non-verbal messages to Nigerian entrepreneurs, to challenge their world-view about enterprise and sustainable wealth creation.

Cultures are inter-related in post-literate world. Capacity development and learning are global tools. Global citizens are progressives who think globally and act locally. They draw inspirations from ideologies that work from any part of the world and contextualise them in their environment.

Work hard to succeed
Most people are superstitious. They expect the divine to interrupt nature and transform paupers overnight into millionaires through petitions and supplications. Unfortunately, superstitions and luck do not make people successful in business enterprise.

The founding fathers of America laid its foundation on the puritan ethics of honesty, responsibility, hard work and self-control. The divine is impartial. Saint or sinner, the laws of nature guarantee success to individuals who work purposefully and patiently hard to create wealth.

Steve Jobs and Stephen Wozniak worked hard when they started Apple in the former’s parents’ garage. Then he was 20 and in 10 years; Apple grew into a $2bn company with over 4,000 employees.

Adapt, change and thrive
Nothing is static in life. Everything changes. Yesterday, it was yearbook. Today, it is Facebook.

Some ingenious entrepreneurs are already interrogating present products and technologies and negotiating a future of possibilities.

Entrepreneurs cannot afford to be idle in boom times or depressed in recession. Sessions come, seasons go! There had been boom in this economy. There is recession today. It is cyclical, it will not last forever.

Entrepreneurs should be learners, who question their challenges and rethinking their environment. The society is always evolving and entrepreneurs should be open to exploring new and better ways of engaging their target markets. They should stay hungry and always strive for excellence.

Gain mastery of lifestyle
The undoing of the typical Nigerian entrepreneurs is the quest to upgrade their lifestyle when they start making money. They want to live larger than life. They become afflicted with the incurable disease of ‘bigmanism’ once they start making money.

The cocoa farmers of the South West in the 1980s made money during economic prosperity, married more wives, spent lavishly on ceremonies and funerals and bought brand new Peugeot 504 to announce their new-found wealth.

The trend subsists till date. Entrepreneurs want to live as celebrities when they make more money and ironically crash before they build any meaningful brand in the marketplace.

Sam Walton, the founder of Wal-Mart stores in America, told his story in his autobiography titled, ‘Sam Walton: Made in America’, that he drove his old pickup truck for years, wore a Wal-Mart ball cap and got his hair cut at the barbershop, off the town square.

Expenditure has a way of rising up to income. Entrepreneurs should maintain moderate lifestyle and keep their expenses lower than the average even when their fortunes grow. This is the way of Spartan lifestyle for entrepreneurs who want to build sustainable legacy for posterity.

People matter always
Entrepreneurs have the tendency to make friends with their equals: they dine with the high and mighty in the society. They seldom care about their employees or feel the pulse of the society where they do their business.

Yes, entrepreneurs need to be in the good books of government and fraternise with powerful people. But, more importantly, people, matter always. People – employees and customers are equally important stakeholders in the business enterprise equation. They can only be neglected to the peril of ignorant entrepreneurs.

Smart entrepreneurs surround themselves with intelligent and talented employees, youthful and enthusiastic consumers. They are comfortable around mentors, coaches and people who inspire them to innovativeness and greatness.

Building businesses in capitalism is about profit- making but profit-making is practicable and sustainable when the motive is wrapped around the love for people; the desire to create solutions and products to make their lives easy and better.

Zuckerberg is back in America
Zuckerberg was here. He promised to come again when another opportunity comes. The opportunity he desires is always with us. Nigerian entrepreneurs can find their acres of diamonds here faster than anywhere in the world. With or without recession, dreamers, potential entrepreneurs and start-ups should not stop thinking about tomorrow.

http://naijanewsline.com/2016/09/09/zuckerbergs-non-verbal-message-to-nigerian-entrepreneurs/

54 Likes 10 Shares

Re: Zuckerberg’s Non-verbal Message To Nigerian Entrepreneurs by Loveprince: 12:43pm On Sep 09, 2016
Wow FTC And FP 1st and same time. Oluwa wil soon pick up my calls.
More grace to me
Re: Zuckerberg’s Non-verbal Message To Nigerian Entrepreneurs by ezechueze(m): 3:30pm On Sep 09, 2016
Life is good with LG ELECTRONICS

1 Like

Re: Zuckerberg’s Non-verbal Message To Nigerian Entrepreneurs by GossipHeart(m): 7:04am On Sep 11, 2016
What works for him will not work for you.
There is what is called destiny

I'm the laziest person on earth, but when i was a kid i knew i would be a millionaire, i use to tell my friends then that even if i sleep for 60 years straight without working that im destined to be rich, i eventually became a millionaire at the age of 22 without working for no one for a single day, that's destiny

If hard work guarantees success barrow pushers, brick layers, bus drivers would be billionaires because those guys grinds and works harder than everyone in this world

112 Likes 5 Shares

Re: Zuckerberg’s Non-verbal Message To Nigerian Entrepreneurs by DICKtator: 7:04am On Sep 11, 2016
grin grin grin grin

1 Like 1 Share

Re: Zuckerberg’s Non-verbal Message To Nigerian Entrepreneurs by lonelydora: 7:05am On Sep 11, 2016
Hmmm

1 Like

Re: Zuckerberg’s Non-verbal Message To Nigerian Entrepreneurs by D34lw4p(m): 7:05am On Sep 11, 2016
Nice ↓↓↓
Re: Zuckerberg’s Non-verbal Message To Nigerian Entrepreneurs by weblord1900: 7:05am On Sep 11, 2016
Ok
Re: Zuckerberg’s Non-verbal Message To Nigerian Entrepreneurs by Nobody: 7:06am On Sep 11, 2016
Are we not over this yet!

1 Like

Re: Zuckerberg’s Non-verbal Message To Nigerian Entrepreneurs by Bashirfuntua(m): 7:07am On Sep 11, 2016
who zuka epp
Re: Zuckerberg’s Non-verbal Message To Nigerian Entrepreneurs by Bashirfuntua(m): 7:08am On Sep 11, 2016
who Zuckerberg epp
modify. nice write up
Re: Zuckerberg’s Non-verbal Message To Nigerian Entrepreneurs by aninexzy(m): 7:08am On Sep 11, 2016
Tel dem o cos some pipu think praer n supplication can take d pLace of hardwork
Re: Zuckerberg’s Non-verbal Message To Nigerian Entrepreneurs by Benesth(m): 7:09am On Sep 11, 2016
good
Re: Zuckerberg’s Non-verbal Message To Nigerian Entrepreneurs by fr3do(m): 7:09am On Sep 11, 2016
Mark Zuckerberg came to 9ja? Yes
he dressed simple? Yes
he acted humble? Yes

Is that why person no go hear word again! Every man to his own abeg!

But yes, Mr. Zuckerberg displayed some commendable qualities, the only ones that will help in Nation building is Entrepreneurship and charity.

Have a happy Sunday.

6 Likes 1 Share

Re: Zuckerberg’s Non-verbal Message To Nigerian Entrepreneurs by bqlekan(m): 7:10am On Sep 11, 2016
oshey op., waiting for Google and Facebook data Network in Nigeria.. grin

1 Like

Re: Zuckerberg’s Non-verbal Message To Nigerian Entrepreneurs by Capableben(m): 7:11am On Sep 11, 2016
Wow. This message repletes with knowledge.

Meanwhile, I'd be releasing my single titled My Nation on or before the 1st day of October. Nairalanders, anticipate hard!

3 Likes 1 Share

Re: Zuckerberg’s Non-verbal Message To Nigerian Entrepreneurs by anonimi: 7:13am On Sep 11, 2016
Saintdix:
Gain mastery of lifestyle

The undoing of the typical Nigerian entrepreneurs is the quest to upgrade their lifestyle when they start making money. They want to live larger than life. They become afflicted with the incurable disease of ‘bigmanism’ once they start making money.

The cocoa farmers of the South West in the 1980s made money during economic prosperity, married more wives, spent lavishly on ceremonies and funerals and bought brand new Peugeot 504 to announce their new-found wealth.

The trend subsists till date. Entrepreneurs want to live as celebrities when they make more money and ironically crash before they build any meaningful brand in the marketplace.

Sam Walton, the founder of Wal-Mart stores in America, told his story in his autobiography titled, ‘Sam Walton: Made in America’, that he drove his old pickup truck for years, wore a Wal-Mart ball cap and got his hair cut at the barbershop, off the town square.

Expenditure has a way of rising up to income. Entrepreneurs should maintain moderate lifestyle and keep their expenses lower than the average even when their fortunes grow. This is the way of Spartan lifestyle for entrepreneurs who want to build sustainable legacy for posterity.

This is the greatest wahala for us black people generally.
We are the ones to buy the latest gadget, the most expensive car even when we cannot make the spoke of a bicycle's tyre.
It is pathetic.
Yet we will be the first to scream racism when we (as a group) are rightly placed where we belong- the lowest of the lowest scums of the earth.
The yoruba song-

Alaaru t'onje bread, awo ori e ni onje ti ko mo - the labourer who is eating bread is eating the scalp of his own head

seems to have lost its meaning to us hence we never accumulate wealth in a sustainable manner to create better and continuously improving value for ourselves as individuals and as a society.
We need to sacrifice and save for the EDUCATION of all our people so we have a pool of people who can even make us richer than we currently are.

www.nairaland.com/attachments/2851374_img20150912232706_png2cc47861652284c85cf1f3e03aee197a

www.nairaland.com/attachments/2855404_fbimg1442168436118_jpeg3abf4555427b1803302e6b4f3ffbbb15

9 Likes 1 Share

Re: Zuckerberg’s Non-verbal Message To Nigerian Entrepreneurs by Nobody: 7:13am On Sep 11, 2016
Another Nigerian is busy writing epistles while his contemporaries in the Western world are thinking out of the box .

8 Likes 1 Share

Re: Zuckerberg’s Non-verbal Message To Nigerian Entrepreneurs by latyph(m): 7:14am On Sep 11, 2016
GossipHeart:

I'm the laziest person on earth, but when i was a kid i knew i would be a millionaire, i eventually became a millionaire at the age of 22 without working for no one for a single day, that's destiny

If hard work guarantees success barrow pushers, brick layers, bus drivers would be billionaires because those guys grinds and works harder than everyone in this world
absolute truth.

1 Like

Re: Zuckerberg’s Non-verbal Message To Nigerian Entrepreneurs by Dafe20(m): 7:15am On Sep 11, 2016
GossipHeart:

I'm the laziest person on earth, but when i was a kid i knew i would be a millionaire, i eventually became a millionaire at the age of 22 without working for no one for a single day, that's destiny

Your moniker is not supposed to be gossipheart. . . rather wise or wisdom-heart
Re: Zuckerberg’s Non-verbal Message To Nigerian Entrepreneurs by Oyecute(m): 7:17am On Sep 11, 2016
GossipHeart:

show your account balance before bragging.... MR DESTINY

26 Likes 3 Shares

Re: Zuckerberg’s Non-verbal Message To Nigerian Entrepreneurs by anonimi: 7:17am On Sep 11, 2016
bqlekan:
oshey op., waiting for Google and Facebook data Network in Nigeria.. grin

You go wait tire.
Why don't you create one or work with others to create one?
Must we wait for oyinbos who are just as intelligent as we are to create something for us so that we can buy or maybe even expect them to dash us like a disabled handicapped person who cannot take care of himself?
Where is our sense of pride and personal dignity?

www.nairaland.com/attachments/2920815_fbimg1443594726987_jpegc00071cb2902eb1726fe8107c3b2dbb6

www.nairaland.com/attachments/2855780_motivationquitoswallpaper10684725_jpegbb9fda572c41a8a09a122f47defd399e

4 Likes

Re: Zuckerberg’s Non-verbal Message To Nigerian Entrepreneurs by kdfinest(m): 7:18am On Sep 11, 2016
GossipHeart:

so wat are u into? Mayb one can also venture into it too.

5 Likes

Re: Zuckerberg’s Non-verbal Message To Nigerian Entrepreneurs by kettle84(m): 7:19am On Sep 11, 2016
The Nigerian economy is hungry and ailing, when you drop one million dollars into it in investment everything get swallowed up.this is the reason why investors in the maritime, aviation and manufacturing sectors are closing shop and taking their money elsewhere.

sad indeed !

1 Like

Re: Zuckerberg’s Non-verbal Message To Nigerian Entrepreneurs by GossipHeart(m): 7:21am On Sep 11, 2016
Oyecute:
show your account balance before bragging.... MR DESTINY

Sorry
I don't get paid to brag

I'm too busy to brag
Re: Zuckerberg’s Non-verbal Message To Nigerian Entrepreneurs by anonimi: 7:21am On Sep 11, 2016
GossipHeart:

You are saying you did not work at all yet you became a millionaire. right?
Whom did you steal money from?
BTW, stealing also requires exerting yourself in several & diverse ways. I hope that you are SMART enough to realise that.

www.nairaland.com/attachments/2855782_imaginationwallpaper10708146_jpeg8ab611433e315906637ee14df7014eeb

17 Likes 3 Shares

Re: Zuckerberg’s Non-verbal Message To Nigerian Entrepreneurs by letsbet(m): 7:21am On Sep 11, 2016
Noted. can we move onñ?
Re: Zuckerberg’s Non-verbal Message To Nigerian Entrepreneurs by anonimi: 7:23am On Sep 11, 2016
GossipHeart:
Sorry
I don't get paid to brag

I'm too busy to brag

So what are you doing on this thread, if not bragging?
Abi bragging don get new definition ni?

14 Likes

Re: Zuckerberg’s Non-verbal Message To Nigerian Entrepreneurs by yemmit90: 7:24am On Sep 11, 2016
GossipHeart:

You are successful today because you are a very hard working dedicated young man.

Please remove the word " DESTINY" or whatever devine luck from your post next time. no one choose to be anything on earth(rich or poor, good or bad, etc), you are what you are. Simple as abc!

5 Likes 1 Share

Re: Zuckerberg’s Non-verbal Message To Nigerian Entrepreneurs by kingphilip(m): 7:25am On Sep 11, 2016
Ok
Re: Zuckerberg’s Non-verbal Message To Nigerian Entrepreneurs by abdulaz: 7:26am On Sep 11, 2016
Nigeria can only grow when we are ready to do away with religion, tribalism and political bigotry. Let morality be thought in place of religion in any gathering irrespective of our differences.

My last bullet: hard work and dedication pays, don't be deceived by those clergymen that emphasize on fasting and prayers alone while they live fat of your offerings and tithes. While youths in Nigeria are are fighting over APC and PDP, their counterparts in other parts of the world are thinking out of the box with no handouts.

#Changebeginswithme

5 Likes

Re: Zuckerberg’s Non-verbal Message To Nigerian Entrepreneurs by lastmessenger: 7:26am On Sep 11, 2016
The founding fathers of America laid its foundation on the puritan ethics of honesty, responsibility, hard work and self-control. The divine is impartial. Saint or sinner, the laws of nature guarantee success to individuals who work purposefully and patiently hard to create wealth.

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (Reply)

8 Mistakes I Made Starting An Online Business In Nigeria That You Should Avoid! / How Can I Recover My Money From A Lady? / USA Now World’s Biggest Crude Oil Producer

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 58
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.