Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,152,327 members, 7,815,650 topics. Date: Thursday, 02 May 2024 at 03:53 PM

Should I Stay In My Old Job Or Move To This New One (I Need Serious Advice) - Career (3) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Career / Should I Stay In My Old Job Or Move To This New One (I Need Serious Advice) (15100 Views)

Private Job Or Govt. Job (advise Pls) / Should I Accept This Job Or Move On? / Staying on my job or Further Training? (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Should I Stay In My Old Job Or Move To This New One (I Need Serious Advice) by Nobody: 9:39am On Sep 14, 2016
femlex:

Thanks Intelligent dude.

The altitude of my bosses and colleagues towards me presently is very positive, and I believe it will be same in the new place. My calculation is has analyzed below
New Place,
Additional N53k monthly, smaller organisation compare to my present, head of my unit, job can last for at least four years, and unknown working environment.

Old place
Bigger Organisation, has more future in terms surviving, work as a support to the head of the unit, friendly colleagues and fear of being tagged not loyal to the organisation by requesting to leave in the first place, the last is my major worry.

I will weigh and add all the advice I get on this platform and other friends to the risk calculation before taking final decision.

Thanks

Truth is nowhere is perfect. Dont be greedy think about the future. Some places have better pay but I tell you by the time they are done with you, you would rather be at home jobless (Ive been there). I dont know if it is a project or an organization. If its a project you know there is a timeline for you to work then get somewhere before close out. but if its with the organization you know there is security you will just be bouncing from one project to another in which case you may not need to leave till after like 5 years. Since you are there sha Ill say give it your best, work hard and explore better options after like 2 years

5 Likes 1 Share

Re: Should I Stay In My Old Job Or Move To This New One (I Need Serious Advice) by cc150615(f): 9:42am On Sep 14, 2016
OP forget this disloyal thing, the only reason why ur boss agreed to increased your pay when you wanted to resign is because they value you nd so don't want to lose you, I've seen ppl do dt all the time nd lemme assure you dt the value they placed upon you isn't about to reduce any soon as far as you keep doing your job right and even improve on it so forget the fact that maybe they will use it against you later. I'm sure cos I have examples of ppl dt have done such in the past, even ppl the mgt didn't have any special likeness for but just because they know their job.

Secondly, changing jobs frequently, I have always believed isn't so good for anybody's career cos a potential employer would have an impression that you'll also leave him soon, even dt new coy u wanna go to will have dt impression wen dy see dt you worked for ur previous employer only for a short time so I always advise ppl to stick with their jobs for sometime except the situation is really bad.

Finally, you said your current bosses have a good attitude, you enjoy working there an your skillset is well appreciated, my brother I don't pray for you to be in a situation that you will start saying you should have known that money isn't everything. You don't know what the situation will be as per working environment on this ur new job, nd with all the uncertainties surrounding a smaller firm as opposed to ur current firm dt is bigger and well established, even considering the current economic situation of Nigeria...
When u look at all these points you'll see dt the little amount ur new job is adding may not be worth the stress afterall so if u ask me, I'll say remain on your current job.

1 Like

Re: Should I Stay In My Old Job Or Move To This New One (I Need Serious Advice) by Kazrem(m): 9:42am On Sep 14, 2016
famlex
I don't think they will and if they do, let them also realize they were not fair giving your colleagues of the same level salary above yours politely.
Re: Should I Stay In My Old Job Or Move To This New One (I Need Serious Advice) by Kazrem(m): 9:46am On Sep 14, 2016
jopretty:
Hmmm, I've been job hunting for months now, praying to get a job that pays even if it's 20k for a start, I no see and someone here is talking about 400k job...Lord Jesus, are you awake and seeing this? sad well Op, I'll advice you stick to the job you love and have passion for. I'm sure your superiors know your worth now and would do anything to keep you. Goodluck!
We don't usually see the hustle people went through before attaining success. Same as people are not seeing your job hunting today but will see you when you eventually land that job with fat salary. Stay positive.

2 Likes 1 Share

Re: Should I Stay In My Old Job Or Move To This New One (I Need Serious Advice) by abiolaewuola(m): 9:50am On Sep 14, 2016
femlex:

Good day to you my fellow Nairalanders, I kindly need your advice.

I got a new job five months ago, and my monthly net is a little above 300K. On getting to the organisation I discovered my that some of my colleague with same skill sets earn close too 400k. I became demotivated, and I started applying to other organisations, and just last week I got a new job offer of above 400k monthly, I spoke with my supervisor on it and about me resigning, and after 3 days, the management of my present organisation called me and offer to give me close to 400k if I decide to stay. Please I kindly need your advice.

I personally will love to stay because I love the Organisation and my skill are well appreciated but my major fear is that it may be used against me in the nearest future by my present organisation. I really need your advice especially for someone that has experience this below.

Thanks

let's solve the Case Study Using Football Profession.

Just like a football player plying is trade at a club. He feels he is not well paid, just like you do. His club realise and offer a new deal close to his satisfaction and the player stays.

Relating the football profession to your profession

Number 1, You have to start proving yourself at the new firm on Honesty, Skills, Teamanship, Work Rate and others
and if u look short to the new firm on this attributes, they may cut-short ur contract or demote u meanwhile at your present firm, you have prove urself already to the eorganisation, they know your worth to the company. This makes you comfortable with the firm.

Number 2. You will need to get settle down in your new environment.
Trust me, you feel comfortable to do your work only when you comfortable with your new environment, which compile of your Colleague, Bosses, Staffers and others.

You need to start learning the culture and value of the new organisation.
If you find it hard to settle down with ur new environment between a couple of months, it affects your Self Esteem, your Confidence and you can easily loose passion for your Job.

But at your current job, you know who-is-who already, you understand the core values and know the protocol Which makes it easy for you to express your skills and values.

Find it difficult to settle down at your new organisation will make it difficult for you to add value you promise to add to the new firm which prompt your employment. In the look of this, u loose your Job within couple of months because of hostile Environment.

Number 3, Mobility Of Shelter.
Looking at the stress of settling down in a new abode. i read a chinese couple decide to continue living in a Cave despite offer for new shelter environment, because of comfortability and familiarity with their abode. Settling in a new shelter environment is a big deal to tell u the fact

From the overall perspective of the variables, it's better you stick with your present Job than moving into a new Firm. .
Thank You.

Abiola Ewuola
CEO Giant Lantern Consulting Agency on Digital Marketing & Biz Development.
0 8 1 0 2 3 4 5 7 5 1

1 Like

Re: Should I Stay In My Old Job Or Move To This New One (I Need Serious Advice) by pearlenon: 9:55am On Sep 14, 2016
Guy,

i experienced same thing years back, got another job with a bigger pay and my current employers called me back after i resigned and offered me something better. i was scared initially of being victimized in the future but it did'nt happen. a company that knows your worth will not treat you bad in future but you must work harder to justify that pay rise. above all, pray to God for guidance

3 Likes

Re: Should I Stay In My Old Job Or Move To This New One (I Need Serious Advice) by phronesischris: 10:05am On Sep 14, 2016
Ojestas:
Some people will just come here and start oppressing the jobless!

God dey!
hahaahahhaha grin
Ojestas:
Some people will just come here and start oppressing the jobless!

God dey!
hahaahahhaha
Re: Should I Stay In My Old Job Or Move To This New One (I Need Serious Advice) by danot1030: 10:44am On Sep 14, 2016
I think you should move on to the new job.

But ultimately, let the Holy Spirit lead you if you believe in Him.
Re: Should I Stay In My Old Job Or Move To This New One (I Need Serious Advice) by jopretty(f): 10:44am On Sep 14, 2016
Thanks dear. I really appreciate.
Kazrem:

We don't usually see the hustle people went through before attaining success. Same as people are not seeing your job hunting today but will see you when you eventually land that job with fat salary. Stay positive.

1 Like

Re: Should I Stay In My Old Job Or Move To This New One (I Need Serious Advice) by Nwogeh: 10:44am On Sep 14, 2016
femlex:

Thanks for the advice Bro, but I don try too for street too o, this na my eight years after my NYSC o, I don struggle add ACA to my name and I started with 35k after six months of searching and praying, so na just time, you go pass here soon.

You are a Chartered Accountant and you are earning 35k a month...it may be true but try and network more......check ICAN members job portal and attend your district meetings.

1 Like

Re: Should I Stay In My Old Job Or Move To This New One (I Need Serious Advice) by Nwogeh: 10:51am On Sep 14, 2016
Try as much as you can to research about the condition of service at the new company, the MD, CEO, Manager, How harsh or friendly they are, how the environment is generally compare it your present environment, Check the time you have or will have for other side stuffs. If at the end, they are the same, Abeg move to the new job. At this your career level, you need the money and all the sincerity and better structured job environment and appreciation you deserve.

Good luck and do endeavor to tell us what happened later.
Re: Should I Stay In My Old Job Or Move To This New One (I Need Serious Advice) by stubbornman(m): 10:51am On Sep 14, 2016
JaneyBlingx:
And I'm here doing yes sir yes sir upandan for my boss that pays 20k cry

grin grin if I tell you my own you go jus cry..... we'll get there some day soon wink wink wink

1 Like

Re: Should I Stay In My Old Job Or Move To This New One (I Need Serious Advice) by AwesomeHIM: 10:57am On Sep 14, 2016
its best u stay where u are appreciated!
Re: Should I Stay In My Old Job Or Move To This New One (I Need Serious Advice) by sammyjay7265(m): 10:57am On Sep 14, 2016
wow i am so glad about this thread....i have always dream of working in an NGO...do you mind sharing information on how to get there easily....please i would really appreciate....thank you
Re: Should I Stay In My Old Job Or Move To This New One (I Need Serious Advice) by Hansome001(m): 11:16am On Sep 14, 2016
femlex:

I am sorry if you see this as oppressing, I did not start earning this in in first job, even though some are that lucky, I started with a job of 35k in 2008, and the 35k was reduced to 18k monthly when the organisation was not doing well, and when it folded up, a got a job of 45k in Abuja in 2010, and that of 60k, and that of 100k e.t.c before I got to this point, and I hope to get better and I pray for God's favour. We shall all be blessed, time and chance makes the difference between us and the rich

I'll advise you to continue with your current job and don't be attracted by the bigger pay the new job is offering you. Above all pray to God to direct and lead you.
Please help me o, your brother is in need of a job here.
Re: Should I Stay In My Old Job Or Move To This New One (I Need Serious Advice) by Nobody: 12:08pm On Sep 14, 2016
Hansome001:

I'll advise you to continue with your current job and don't be attracted by the bigger pay the new job is offering you. Above all pray to God to direct and lead you.
Please help me o, your brother is in need of a job here.

Is he not entitled to a bigger pay?
Re: Should I Stay In My Old Job Or Move To This New One (I Need Serious Advice) by Cletus77(m): 12:15pm On Sep 14, 2016
pls by best advice,choose the one dat u can hold onto
Re: Should I Stay In My Old Job Or Move To This New One (I Need Serious Advice) by kevng: 12:19pm On Sep 14, 2016
femlex:

.... but my major fear is that it may be used against me in the nearest future by my present organisation...

Take things one step at a time.
Donot allow fears of what "might" happen in the future to derail your progress at the moment.
If u take away the fear of the future event, which in itself is a probability, you will discover you have everything to be happy with the right decision you make now.

I ll say stay.
Re: Should I Stay In My Old Job Or Move To This New One (I Need Serious Advice) by greggng: 12:23pm On Sep 14, 2016
femlex:

I got a new job five months ago, and my monthly net is a little above 300K. On getting to the organisation I discovered my that some of my colleague with same skill sets earn close too 400k. I became demotivated, and I started applying to other organisations, and just last week I got a new job offer of above 400k monthly, I spoke with my supervisor on it and about me resigning, and after 3 days, the management of my present organisation called me and offer to give me close to 400k if I decide to stay. Please I kindly need your advice.

I personally will love to stay because I love the Organisation and my skill are well appreciated but my major fear is that it may be used against me in the nearest future by my present organisation. I really need your advice especially for someone that has experience this below.

Thanks

If I were u, I will remain in my first job and put in more effort to justify the pay rise. From tomorrow I will start following ur foot step. I have hated the idea of doing a low pay job, may be that's why am broke lol. Meanwhile with this type of money u earn and still single, I believe it won't be wrong to ask u for some cash to enable me celebrate my birthday.
Re: Should I Stay In My Old Job Or Move To This New One (I Need Serious Advice) by blank(f): 12:47pm On Sep 14, 2016
femlex:

Thanks

Once you cork your gun, shoot it and don't turn back. As you have told them that you want to go, don't look back.
Re: Should I Stay In My Old Job Or Move To This New One (I Need Serious Advice) by mcdonald247(m): 12:48pm On Sep 14, 2016
You should have reported there before talking to your supervisor,tomorrow they will put you in tight corner by entrusting more task to you ,please am in abuja which of the NGO will you link me you to,mechanical engineer,Ezemdim@gmail.com

1 Like

Re: Should I Stay In My Old Job Or Move To This New One (I Need Serious Advice) by odsniper2(m): 2:46pm On Sep 14, 2016
JaneyBlingx:
And I'm here doing yes sir yes sir upandan for my boss that pays 20k cry

......don't answer yes sir na......by the time u sit down for house, u go know say 20k can sometimes be 400k

1 Like 1 Share

Re: Should I Stay In My Old Job Or Move To This New One (I Need Serious Advice) by EdoBoy90(m): 3:07pm On Sep 14, 2016
pls op, don't be annoyed. I am trying to attain a greater height in my career. studied Mech. Engr. pls course did u study and other certifications you acquired that made your present and the new organizations to value you.

1 Like

Re: Should I Stay In My Old Job Or Move To This New One (I Need Serious Advice) by Nobody: 5:00pm On Sep 14, 2016
femlex:

Thanks

Hmmm... please give me link to the 300k job let me manage it.
Re: Should I Stay In My Old Job Or Move To This New One (I Need Serious Advice) by ffo(m): 6:21pm On Sep 14, 2016
femlex, I sent u a pm, I will like to ask u some personal questions
Re: Should I Stay In My Old Job Or Move To This New One (I Need Serious Advice) by femlex(m): 7:45pm On Sep 14, 2016
Nwogeh:

You are a Chartered Accountant and you are earning 35k a month...it may be true but try and network more......check ICAN members job portal and attend your district meetings.

Thanks Nwogeh, That was my first job in 2008, and before my qualification. I was telling that I did not just start working today.
Re: Should I Stay In My Old Job Or Move To This New One (I Need Serious Advice) by femlex(m): 7:51pm On Sep 14, 2016
EdoBoy90:
pls op, don't be annoyed. I am trying to attain a greater height in my career. studied Mech. Engr. pls course did u study and other certifications you acquired that made your present and the new organizations to value you.

I have a 2.1 in Accounting, just completed my MSc in Finance and Accounting, I have an ACA (ICAN) Certificate with other smaller Cert and trainings.

Without an NGO experience, if you really want to make a career in it, you need to locate a good NGO and start as a Volunteer.

1 Like

Re: Should I Stay In My Old Job Or Move To This New One (I Need Serious Advice) by femlex(m): 8:01pm On Sep 14, 2016
I will like to appreciate the time and effort you spent giving me advice and sharing your experience with me. I really do appreciate. I am meeting with my present Employers tomorrow on my final decision.

I have read through all the comments, I have listened to my family especially my wife, and I will pray for God's guidance tonight.
Once again, I sincerely appreciate your contributions.
Thanks.

2 Likes 1 Share

Re: Should I Stay In My Old Job Or Move To This New One (I Need Serious Advice) by Durbaubal682: 8:15pm On Sep 14, 2016
Hello every one, how are you? smiley
Re: Should I Stay In My Old Job Or Move To This New One (I Need Serious Advice) by Nobody: 9:09pm On Sep 14, 2016
femlex:
I will like to appreciate the time and effort you spent giving me advice and sharing your experience with me. I really do appreciate. I am meeting with my present Employers tomorrow on my final decision.

I have read through all the comments, I have listened to my family especially my wife, and I will pray for God's guidance tonight.
Once again, I sincerely appreciate your contributions.
Thanks.

Please let's also have an update on your final decision tomorrow.

1 Like

Re: Should I Stay In My Old Job Or Move To This New One (I Need Serious Advice) by sweetilicious(f): 11:15pm On Sep 14, 2016
femlex:

I am sorry if you see this as oppressing, I did not start earning this in in first job, even though some are that lucky, I started with a job of 35k in 2008, and the 35k was reduced to 18k monthly when the organisation was not doing well, and when it folded up, a got a job of 45k in Abuja in 2010, and that of 60k, and that of 100k e.t.c before I got to this point, and I hope to get better and I pray for God's favour. We shall all be blessed, time and chance makes the difference between us and the rich
Exactly. We all have a starting point. A lot of experiences, hardworks, sleepless nights, mistreats, genuine laughter and deep cries. Before you get to the peak of your career, you will have a starting point.

1 Like

Re: Should I Stay In My Old Job Or Move To This New One (I Need Serious Advice) by Nobody: 4:37am On Sep 15, 2016
femlex:

Thanks

I think you should accept the new offer. For the fact that your company was paying you below your colleagues and only had to increase it cos they heard you were leaving and not because you deserved it is enough reason. Remember you were sad and unhappy which made you apply for other jobs. You felt used and belittled. Go to a company that truly appreciates your worth not one that will act only when threatened indirectly.

1 Like 1 Share

(1) (2) (3) (4) (Reply)

What A Nigerian Living Abroad Tweeted That Has Set Twitter Nigeria On Fire / Is It Wrong To Help Your Boss With His Or Her Bag? / Aero Airline Staff Protest At MMIA, Lagos (photos)

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 88
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.