Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,151,339 members, 7,811,985 topics. Date: Monday, 29 April 2024 at 04:40 AM

'O' Of BODMAS Doesn't Mean Of, Our Teachers Owe Us An Apology - Education (2) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Education / 'O' Of BODMAS Doesn't Mean Of, Our Teachers Owe Us An Apology (42617 Views)

BODMAS MISUNDERSTANDING: Whose Fault? Teachers, Pupils Or Parents / The "O" In BODMAS Doesn't Stand For Of / Has PEDMAS Really Taken Over From BODMAS? (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: 'O' Of BODMAS Doesn't Mean Of, Our Teachers Owe Us An Apology by Damilola929(m): 7:20am On Sep 15, 2016
Abi na
Re: 'O' Of BODMAS Doesn't Mean Of, Our Teachers Owe Us An Apology by agwom(m): 7:23am On Sep 15, 2016
ok
Re: 'O' Of BODMAS Doesn't Mean Of, Our Teachers Owe Us An Apology by soberdrunk(m): 7:25am On Sep 15, 2016
grin Quick question! Abeg which 'adult' dey use BODMAS for his or her office today? Last time i heard BODMAS or needed it was in my school exams many years ago........ angry angry
Re: 'O' Of BODMAS Doesn't Mean Of, Our Teachers Owe Us An Apology by kabillion(m): 7:25am On Sep 15, 2016
Badassniggga:
chai, English yaff dies... you need a refund from your English teacher dude...
He killed it. Not d teacher's fault though some brains just won't werk. Police is coming 4 him

Re: 'O' Of BODMAS Doesn't Mean Of, Our Teachers Owe Us An Apology by Adetayo1978(m): 7:26am On Sep 15, 2016
Since I started primary school till date, I have know the "O" to mean OF. So, how do I tell my students that it means ORDER? What will they tell their parents about it? Oya, make una tell me o.
Re: 'O' Of BODMAS Doesn't Mean Of, Our Teachers Owe Us An Apology by joseph1832(m): 7:27am On Sep 15, 2016
Wow!. Never knew this. News like this still makes me believe Nairaland is still not bad after all, given that it has mostly be taken over by semi insane e-lunatics. grin
Re: 'O' Of BODMAS Doesn't Mean Of, Our Teachers Owe Us An Apology by steve6: 7:32am On Sep 15, 2016
Wow ! Can u imagine our teachers back then taught us wrongly. Thank u OP !
Re: 'O' Of BODMAS Doesn't Mean Of, Our Teachers Owe Us An Apology by heydora: 7:36am On Sep 15, 2016
See me see trouble o.... What's the difference... U still even don't understand after you Googled it. Understanding lo matter bros me. There is no difference between of and order.
Re: 'O' Of BODMAS Doesn't Mean Of, Our Teachers Owe Us An Apology by southernbelle(f): 7:36am On Sep 15, 2016
cheesy cheesy so what happens to all calculations we got right using 'O' as 'of'? tongue
Re: 'O' Of BODMAS Doesn't Mean Of, Our Teachers Owe Us An Apology by Talk2CB: 7:39am On Sep 15, 2016
Op. You are wrong. Teachers are right.

Of is correct....Square root 'of' and Square 'Of'

That's what it is.

1 Like 1 Share

Re: 'O' Of BODMAS Doesn't Mean Of, Our Teachers Owe Us An Apology by Nobody: 7:41am On Sep 15, 2016
Oliviaarims:
That simply means certain calculations must have been wrong in the past.

As in ehn It's very disturbing,

good thing I was taught to use PEMDAS back in school grin

P-parethesis
E-exponents
M-mutiplication
D-division
A-addition
S-subtraction
Re: 'O' Of BODMAS Doesn't Mean Of, Our Teachers Owe Us An Apology by xreal: 7:42am On Sep 15, 2016
Re: 'O' Of BODMAS Doesn't Mean Of, Our Teachers Owe Us An Apology by vislabraye(m): 7:46am On Sep 15, 2016
edwapkalmeed:
BODMAS is a helpful acronym meaning brackets, order,
division, multiplication, addition and subtraction, ensuring
that equation steps are completed in the right order. A
mathematical question with multiple operations may give
different answers depending on the order in which it is
solved.
B → B rackets first (parentheses)
O → O f (orders i.e. Powers and Square Roots, Cube Roots, etc.)
DM → D ivision and M ultiplication (start from left to right)
AS → A ddition and S ubtraction (start from left to right)

you can also search for it online if u think I am lying .

http://www.math-only-math.com/bodmas-rule.html

https://www.reference.com/math/bodmas-mathematics-18d88167d079ce6a#

Using "Of" doesn't mean you are wrong. "Orders" is what we use now but that doesn't mean "Of" cannot be used.
https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Order_of_operations

1 Like

Re: 'O' Of BODMAS Doesn't Mean Of, Our Teachers Owe Us An Apology by Nobody: 7:48am On Sep 15, 2016
dis tin nearly caused confusion when I was teaching a particular topic in computer studies,most students av dat notion dat it is of and old mathematics teachers keep on emphasing it as of
Re: 'O' Of BODMAS Doesn't Mean Of, Our Teachers Owe Us An Apology by Gaddafithe2nd(m): 7:48am On Sep 15, 2016
BODMAS bawo. We now use PEDMAS that is what is in vogue among mathematicians and programmers in advanced countries
P: Parenthesis, E: Exponents, D: Division, M: Multiplication, A: Addition, S: Subtraction

1 Like

Re: 'O' Of BODMAS Doesn't Mean Of, Our Teachers Owe Us An Apology by Houstency(m): 7:49am On Sep 15, 2016

2 Likes

Re: 'O' Of BODMAS Doesn't Mean Of, Our Teachers Owe Us An Apology by flamingREED(m): 7:52am On Sep 15, 2016
I teach maths.

Orders are best addressed after brackets, of, division, multiplication, addition and subtraction have been considered.

Thank me later
Re: 'O' Of BODMAS Doesn't Mean Of, Our Teachers Owe Us An Apology by adepiero: 7:54am On Sep 15, 2016
To think that we graduated university with this wrong info is a miracle. Our teachers need to be shot angry
Re: 'O' Of BODMAS Doesn't Mean Of, Our Teachers Owe Us An Apology by martineinstein(m): 7:56am On Sep 15, 2016
the ironic part is dat BODMAS is outdated....PEMDAS is the replacement
Re: 'O' Of BODMAS Doesn't Mean Of, Our Teachers Owe Us An Apology by vikeyz(m): 7:57am On Sep 15, 2016
Wow, this is a nice post grin
Re: 'O' Of BODMAS Doesn't Mean Of, Our Teachers Owe Us An Apology by nwakibie3(m): 8:16am On Sep 15, 2016
It may be recent invention.
Re: 'O' Of BODMAS Doesn't Mean Of, Our Teachers Owe Us An Apology by highskies(m): 8:16am On Sep 15, 2016
Ur assertion is perfectly in order and inline with what I have known it by:

B E D M A S ---» everyother letter remains as known, but the "E" means Exponential same as Order

edwapkalmeed:
BODMAS is a helpful acronym meaning brackets, order,
division, multiplication, addition and subtraction, ensuring
that equation steps are completed in the right order. A
mathematical question with multiple operations may give
different answers depending on the order in which it is
solved.
B → B rackets first (parentheses)
O → O f (orders i.e. Powers and Square Roots, Cube Roots, etc.)
DM → D ivision and M ultiplication (start from left to right)
AS → A ddition and S ubtraction (start from left to right)

you can also search for it online if u think I am lying .

http://www.math-only-math.com/bodmas-rule.html

https://www.reference.com/math/bodmas-mathematics-18d88167d079ce6a#
Re: 'O' Of BODMAS Doesn't Mean Of, Our Teachers Owe Us An Apology by Handsomecole(m): 8:32am On Sep 15, 2016
I hate Maths
Re: 'O' Of BODMAS Doesn't Mean Of, Our Teachers Owe Us An Apology by holluphemydavid(m): 8:38am On Sep 15, 2016
amtalkin:
Can you imagine years after university I'm just knowing this shocked shocked

This generation children will not take this shit na i trust them they google every word they hear.
Lol, u are rite thou
Re: 'O' Of BODMAS Doesn't Mean Of, Our Teachers Owe Us An Apology by Bimpe29: 8:58am On Sep 15, 2016
Oh! my goodness, this has been the knowledge for a very long time. Thanks
Re: 'O' Of BODMAS Doesn't Mean Of, Our Teachers Owe Us An Apology by youngbeezy98(m): 9:07am On Sep 15, 2016
So... our primary school teachers taught us the wrong thing abi... There is God o...#knowledge is power
Re: 'O' Of BODMAS Doesn't Mean Of, Our Teachers Owe Us An Apology by uvalued(m): 9:07am On Sep 15, 2016
thanks now i will correctly teach it.
Re: 'O' Of BODMAS Doesn't Mean Of, Our Teachers Owe Us An Apology by EdDave(m): 9:17am On Sep 15, 2016
My teacher told me it was "Orders".
Re: 'O' Of BODMAS Doesn't Mean Of, Our Teachers Owe Us An Apology by Nobody: 9:36am On Sep 15, 2016
Demigods666:

As in ehn It's very disturbing,

good thing I was taught to use PEMDAS back in school grin

P-parethesis
E-exponents
M-mutiplication
D-division
A-addition
S-subtraction

PEDMAS, I never knew about that one.
Re: 'O' Of BODMAS Doesn't Mean Of, Our Teachers Owe Us An Apology by Olajide2504(m): 9:37am On Sep 15, 2016
i know the meaning but cant just solve mathematics then
Re: 'O' Of BODMAS Doesn't Mean Of, Our Teachers Owe Us An Apology by skedy1(m): 9:38am On Sep 15, 2016
If e like, make the 'O' stand for Obaseki or Okonjo...

Wetin consine goat with chain

1 Like 1 Share

Re: 'O' Of BODMAS Doesn't Mean Of, Our Teachers Owe Us An Apology by logicab: 9:38am On Sep 15, 2016
So how do you say x^2? "X to the power/order OF".

(1) (2) (3) (Reply)

Direct Entry Courses For SLT (science Lab Tech) / Photo Of First Primary School In Nigeria, Established in 1865 / Share Your 2014 Waec Result Here,lets Celebrate Or Comfort You

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 21
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.