Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,151,341 members, 7,811,990 topics. Date: Monday, 29 April 2024 at 05:08 AM

'O' Of BODMAS Doesn't Mean Of, Our Teachers Owe Us An Apology - Education (3) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Education / 'O' Of BODMAS Doesn't Mean Of, Our Teachers Owe Us An Apology (42619 Views)

BODMAS MISUNDERSTANDING: Whose Fault? Teachers, Pupils Or Parents / The "O" In BODMAS Doesn't Stand For Of / Has PEDMAS Really Taken Over From BODMAS? (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: 'O' Of BODMAS Doesn't Mean Of, Our Teachers Owe Us An Apology by struggle33: 9:51am On Sep 15, 2016
I think d problem here is of understandn/application of words.'OF' here in particular.I teach d children across classes Maths as well.Knowingfully well d problem of applyn d meanings ordinary common english words in maths class/questions,this hz somewt forcd me upgrade my english language knowledge&payd a closer study of maths txtbooks/workbooks/guidebook/videos/forums etc.Maths teachers ll understand my point here
Re: 'O' Of BODMAS Doesn't Mean Of, Our Teachers Owe Us An Apology by Dpharisee: 9:52am On Sep 15, 2016
haywire07:
What about us that knows d meaning but doesn't know how to apply it? cry

Your own case is beyond redemption; no wonder you ran away from Physics and Chemistry classess grin
Re: 'O' Of BODMAS Doesn't Mean Of, Our Teachers Owe Us An Apology by Nobody: 10:00am On Sep 15, 2016
Oliviaarims:

PEDMAS, I never knew about that one.

Eyah that's why one need to attend better school.

Expensive schools are worth it.

At least to my dad cheesy
Re: 'O' Of BODMAS Doesn't Mean Of, Our Teachers Owe Us An Apology by sonnie1997: 10:16am On Sep 15, 2016
My teacher told me is Open
Re: 'O' Of BODMAS Doesn't Mean Of, Our Teachers Owe Us An Apology by GodblessNig247(m): 10:19am On Sep 15, 2016
Edroom:
Half baked student, half baked teacher

You are a true reflection of a product of half baked teachers. So why cast aspersions on ur kinds.
Re: 'O' Of BODMAS Doesn't Mean Of, Our Teachers Owe Us An Apology by Nobody: 10:29am On Sep 15, 2016
Do you seek an investment that turns your simple capital of N1,000 into tons of good money in as little as 5 weeks?
No stress, no fuss, no hassles ?
A platform where you put in only N1,000 and see it grow into unbelievable profit within weeks.
Whatsapp or text your full name and email to 08081192277 and let's get you started.
Re: 'O' Of BODMAS Doesn't Mean Of, Our Teachers Owe Us An Apology by Rocketicon(m): 10:36am On Sep 15, 2016
Chai!!
Re: 'O' Of BODMAS Doesn't Mean Of, Our Teachers Owe Us An Apology by alolatee(m): 10:39am On Sep 15, 2016
freesinzu:
angry

my brother, i know BODMAS to be,......'bracket open' not of division, multiplication, addition and subtraction...what about that?
Re: 'O' Of BODMAS Doesn't Mean Of, Our Teachers Owe Us An Apology by Nobody: 10:39am On Sep 15, 2016
Demigods666:

Eyah that's why one need to attend better school.

Expensive schools are worth it.

At least to my dad cheesy

Lol. So, are you insinuating I attended a quack school?

Nahh. Not at all.
Re: 'O' Of BODMAS Doesn't Mean Of, Our Teachers Owe Us An Apology by Nobody: 10:41am On Sep 15, 2016
Oliviaarims:

Lol. So, are you insinuating I attended a quack school?

Nahh. Not at all.

grin
Re: 'O' Of BODMAS Doesn't Mean Of, Our Teachers Owe Us An Apology by professore(m): 10:59am On Sep 15, 2016
Thanks for enlightening us.
Re: 'O' Of BODMAS Doesn't Mean Of, Our Teachers Owe Us An Apology by freesinzu(m): 11:18am On Sep 15, 2016
alolatee:

my brother, i know BODMAS to be,......'bracket open' not of division, multiplication, addition and subtraction...what about that?
wink
Re: 'O' Of BODMAS Doesn't Mean Of, Our Teachers Owe Us An Apology by Cletus77(m): 12:12pm On Sep 15, 2016
u no fit do research on how to survive in recession period, na "of" u research... Besides the "of" was working since as "of"
Re: 'O' Of BODMAS Doesn't Mean Of, Our Teachers Owe Us An Apology by Enochx2: 12:41pm On Sep 15, 2016
U c D life of our teachers

Re: 'O' Of BODMAS Doesn't Mean Of, Our Teachers Owe Us An Apology by octal2003(m): 12:52pm On Sep 15, 2016
O stands for Of which means multiplication and also Others which means powers and roots. Both are correct.
Re: 'O' Of BODMAS Doesn't Mean Of, Our Teachers Owe Us An Apology by ALEBS(m): 1:15pm On Sep 15, 2016
If Order actually refers to roots, square, power, etc, then Order should come before Bracket . You deserve some lashes from your teacher, not an apology. grin
Re: 'O' Of BODMAS Doesn't Mean Of, Our Teachers Owe Us An Apology by mathefaro(m): 1:16pm On Sep 15, 2016
Powers and roots are not part of the primary school curriculum, so you don't expect primary school teachers to incorporate this into their teaching. However for the secondary school, I prefer to use PEMDAS / BEMDAS for them since they're old enough to assimilate it at that level
Re: 'O' Of BODMAS Doesn't Mean Of, Our Teachers Owe Us An Apology by Wiseandtrue(f): 2:46pm On Sep 15, 2016
A nice observation. That O(of) is always confusing me then. Infact I always hurry over the topic or avoid it.
Thanks OP wink
edwapkalmeed:
BODMAS is a helpful acronym meaning brackets, order,
division, multiplication, addition and subtraction, ensuring
that equation steps are completed in the right order. A
mathematical question with multiple operations may give
different answers depending on the order in which it is
solved.
B → B rackets first (parentheses)
O → O f (orders i.e. Powers and Square Roots, Cube Roots, etc.)
DM → D ivision and M ultiplication (start from left to right)
AS → A ddition and S ubtraction (start from left to right)

you can also search for it online if u think I am lying .

http://www.math-only-math.com/bodmas-rule.html

https://www.reference.com/math/bodmas-mathematics-18d88167d079ce6a#
Re: 'O' Of BODMAS Doesn't Mean Of, Our Teachers Owe Us An Apology by HMZi: 2:59pm On Sep 15, 2016
Shame on our teachers for not knowing..just mislead generations of people..op thanks 4 this,i wont lie,this is the 1st i have heard of this...#order smh
Re: 'O' Of BODMAS Doesn't Mean Of, Our Teachers Owe Us An Apology by gbens2000(m): 4:44pm On Sep 15, 2016
Syvyd199:
Hello every one, how are you? smiley
we are fine,so wat do u have for us today.
Re: 'O' Of BODMAS Doesn't Mean Of, Our Teachers Owe Us An Apology by menxer: 7:41pm On Sep 15, 2016
Opistorincos:
We've been getting it wrong all along but we can't blame our teachers sha, they probably didnt know too

Our teachers doesn't mean the one that taught you in school, it goes back to the teacher that taught the teacher that... You.

Who changed "order" to "of"? And nobody questioned it or was the wiser? It means it was deliberately done to skew all our calculations in life, because once the order is not right, the answer can't be.

Ask yourself, why are we, 'the giant of Africa' getting it wrong in so many crucial areas of our national life?

You now know, the order we have been doing things is wrong. grin

(1) (2) (3) (Reply)

Direct Entry Courses For SLT (science Lab Tech) / Photo Of First Primary School In Nigeria, Established in 1865 / Share Your 2014 Waec Result Here,lets Celebrate Or Comfort You

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 20
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.