Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,152,705 members, 7,816,889 topics. Date: Friday, 03 May 2024 at 07:36 PM

Igbo Vs Delta-Igbo: What A Guy Posted On Facebook - Politics (47) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / Igbo Vs Delta-Igbo: What A Guy Posted On Facebook (138685 Views)

Niger Delta, Igbo And Hausa All Want To Leave Nigeria Except Yorubas, Why? / Checkout What APC Posted On Twitter (photo) / Hon Patrick Obahiagbon Celebrates His Birthday, See What He Posted On Facebook (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) ... (44) (45) (46) (47) (48) (49) (50) ... (56) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Igbo Vs Delta-Igbo: What A Guy Posted On Facebook by genieluv(f): 1:23pm On Oct 02, 2016
ak47mann:
The issue here is that you can only be Igbo from birth,igbos are not a citizenship.We find it very difficult to understand how a grown man and woman from a different tribe fighting to be accepted in Igbo fora cool

Haha, that's what u guys say but not the reality on ground. Nobody will ever reject a succesful person who identifies with him, especially not those igbo kings who can accept anyone once given the right size of brown envelope or Ghana must go. Just do that and they will give you chieftancy titles left and right without caring to know where you are truly from.
Or are you telling me that if Bill Gates or Mark Zuckerberg decides to add Emeka to their names and claim that their great great grandfather was actually an Igbo man from Mbaise and then they transforms Mbaise to small London and mete out to every traditional leader the right size of brown envelopes, are you telling me that they will not be drowned in a sea of chieftancy titles all over Igbo land and accepted without the igbo leaders even caring to confirm the paternity story?

As u guys say AKUKO, story for the gods. tongue

1 Like

Re: Igbo Vs Delta-Igbo: What A Guy Posted On Facebook by Abagworo(m): 1:29pm On Oct 02, 2016
bigfrancis21:

Now the truth is coming out. You have been pummeled into revealing the truth, well clap for yourself.

Since you have finally decided to become sober, I'll treat you as one.

Well know this, no tribe in Africa is pure. You act like the whole of SE originated from the same place when we did not. No. SE itself is also not pure as we did not all come from one place, and some Igbo clans have heavy outside cultural influences such as the Nsukka, the Ohafia, etc. 'South East' is only but a recent zonal creation 30 years ago grouping a section of Igbo-speakers together into one zone. A LOT of transmigration occurred in the past. People, due to different reasons, often crossed boundaries and ventured into new linguistic groups and got assimilated into their new environments. In the past, African ethnic groups had no sense of collective ethnicity, and they only paid allegiance to their spoken dialects and villages. Thus, 100 years ago, an Nnewi man would tell you he is Nnewi, not Igbo. An Ngwa man would tell you he is Ngwa, an Aro man would tell you he is Aro, an Etche man would tell you he is Etche, the Asaba man would tell you he is Asaba and not Igbo etc. Delta Igboland is not any different from South East Igboland in that respect. Yorubaland too is not pure as some Nupes, Baribas, Hausas, defeated and captured war victims from Dahomey during the Oyo-Dahomey wars etc. were assimilated into Yorubaland but they are all Yorubas today.

Worldwide, races are not pure. The whites of America are not all descendants of England/britain. Between 1600 and early 20th century, the Irish, the French, the German etc. all settled in America (Donald Trump who is all loud about being white and against immigrants is actually German - his grandfather is a German who migrated to the US in the late 1800s), and they all make up the white race in America today. The people who identify as Black Americans today are made up of different origins or ethnic groups from Africa and also from Europe but today they are all united as one people - black americans.

So you need to understand that most tribes, ethnic groups etc. on earth are not pure, as they, in the past, assimilated other people into their groups. Do not act like that of Anioma is any different when it is the same for SE too. In fact, by virtue of your logic and the diverse origins of the SE people, SE can decide to coin up a name for themselves and follow that identity like Anioma but it does not make sense as it would lead to further disunity among ourselves.

Like someone here said earlier, instead of looking at the little differences in us, why not look at the similarities between us and unite. At the end of the day, people east and west of the Niger are more related to each other than West of the Niger and any other group in Nigeria or Africa. No Igbo clan is more Igbo than the other. We all know we may have originated from different places in the past, be it wherever, but 'Igbo' is simply a collection of people who speak dialectical variations of the same language. That's what it is.

Igbo bu ofu.

Somehow this particular write up has summarized the crux of the matter which has been a serious issue in intra Igbo relationship. Once every Igbo man accepts this truth that we are more united by language and culture than origin then there will be peace.
Re: Igbo Vs Delta-Igbo: What A Guy Posted On Facebook by genieluv(f): 1:32pm On Oct 02, 2016
bigfrancis21:

Lol. Arguing with you is like arguing with a child. Yes, plateau united football club made Mikel in his early formative years. Who is going to deny that. Unlike you I give credit to whom it is due. Same way Nollywood made Mercy Johnson who she is. She now even speaks Igbo fluently. cheesy Watch Baby Oku in America, for example.

As for your comment on googling, I would accept an article from google over anything that comes from you. You barely know the surface of Igbo history.

Oh, are you saying you cannot challenge my historical facts anymore or your data subscription has been finished on your day and night googling just to challenge my facts? Well, lemme give you a break to ask for more money from your dad, so you can do more googling. LoL, all u'd have just done is ask me politely, no harm in asking, i don't bite. LoL.

Anyone that knows the average middlebelter will know that they are extremely down to earth peeps. We easily learn people's languages and acculturate. Mercy is fluent in yoruba as well as she grew up in Lagos. My idoma stepfather speaks igbo, hausa and yoruba + his own idoma and Tiv. He was even learning Enuani small small because my mother and grandmother and her sibblings always speak Enuani amongst themselves at home. So we are like that.
Re: Igbo Vs Delta-Igbo: What A Guy Posted On Facebook by ak47mann(m): 1:34pm On Oct 02, 2016
genieluv:

Haha, that's what u guys say but not the reality on ground. Nobody will ever reject a succesful person who identifies with him, especially not those igbo kings who can accept anyone once given the right size of brown envelope or Ghana must go. Just do that and they will give you chieftancy titles left and right without caring to know where you are truly from.
Or are you telling me that if Bill Gates or Mark Zuckerberg decides to add Emeka to their names and claim that their great great grandfather was actually an Igbo man from Mbaise and then they transforms Mbaise to small London and mete out to every traditional leader the right size of brown envelopes, are you telling me that they will not be drowned in a sea of chieftancy titles all over Igbo land and accepted without the igbo leaders even caring to confirm the paternity story?

I knew you will misunderstanding me that's why I amend my post.We have Hollywood actors and other celebrities although from DNA testing they were able to found out that they are igbos and they visit their ancestral home in igboland received titles in igboland.This is why I said to be Igbo must be proven only by DNA and birth.It does not imply as citizenship cool
Re: Igbo Vs Delta-Igbo: What A Guy Posted On Facebook by genieluv(f): 1:42pm On Oct 02, 2016
Abagworo:

Somehow this particular write up has summarized the crux of the matter which has been a serious issue in intra Igbo relationship. Once every Igbo man accepts this truth that we are more united by language and culture than origin then there will be peace.

Well, i believe language unites all Ibo speaking people. I don't think most Aniomas would have ever denied igbo identity if all of us were able to fully understand and speak central Ibo. Central Ibo language is not used as a lingua franca in Anioma areas unlike in the south-east and that is why many Anioma people conclude that they don't speak or understand Igbo (central Ibo).

Igbos were never a centralized people and this is where many of the problems came from i think.
Oyo kingdom conquered much of the yoruba speaking tribes and enforced Oyo dialect on them as their lingua franca, they centralized all yoruba speaking tribes to a large extent and that is why if you even go to the most interior villages in Kogi west (Okun) axis and speak Oyo for them, even an old grandmother who has never left Okun land all her life will reply you in Oyo dialect (central yoruba). Yoruba language (Oyo dialect) was heavily centralized.
Re: Igbo Vs Delta-Igbo: What A Guy Posted On Facebook by Abagworo(m): 1:42pm On Oct 02, 2016
genieluv:

The guy you quoted does not know his history. In most towns across Igboland there is always a story about assimilated villages that weren't part of the original founders.
Re: Igbo Vs Delta-Igbo: What A Guy Posted On Facebook by ak47mann(m): 1:43pm On Oct 02, 2016
Abagworo:

Mr you can't separate languages culture from origin cool

1 Like

Re: Igbo Vs Delta-Igbo: What A Guy Posted On Facebook by bigfrancis21: 1:44pm On Oct 02, 2016
genieluv:

You are the one missing everything here ok? The first chat u and i had here was not insultive, or do u want me to screenshot the posts here for u to prove u wrong?

The insults mostly started when Ikechu took all the time he had in the world to dig my profile and started ranting everywhere about my idoma ancestry forgetting that there are millions of Nigerians with dual and multiple ancestries and can fit into anyone of them or claim anyone at any time.

Now back 2d topic, it's not as if i don't understand all you are saying oo. I do. Benue people are very close to Nsukka for instance, so i know the igala origin of many of them but however, there are 2 reasons why this logic of 'we are all mixed' is failing in the Anioma axis.

1) For instance, from what i read, Ngwa people already had their well defined identity as Ngwa people before they started intermixing with Ibibios, Nsukka people already knew who they were before igalas started influencing and intermixing with them. But for Aniomas, the story is quite different, the aboriginal people on Anioma land were never known to have an identity of their own, let alone an Igbo identity before the Nri, Benin and Igala migrations started flooding into area.

There was no documented account anywhere to prove the original identity of the aborigines of Anioma land when the Nris and Edos got there. So, Anioma identity started forming almost at the same time when the Benin, Nri and Igala migrations started coming in, that is why you see in some Anioma towns the quarters with Bini origin are seen as the seniors and kingmakers, while in some others the quarters of Nri/Igbo origin are the seniors and kingmakers. In some other few towns, igala descendants take the lead. So that is where the problem comes.
The igbo descendants in Anioma land cannot claim to have come there before the Binis or Igalas according to history. Igbo descendants only got the advantage in terms of language as their language was stronger and displaced others.

This is false. Igbo elders in Anioma know their true origins. Once more your knowledge of Anioma history is extremely limited. Majority of Aniomaland was founded by Igbo aboriginals. As it is with other areas in the world, some places experienced a huge influx of outside people, however majority of Anioma land were founded by Igbo aboriginals.

Excerpts by Obi Emeka Nwaka, a prince from Asaba:

Our Igbo origin has never been in doubt before and after Civil War. Anioma people were known as Western Igbos before the Amalgamation of Nigeria in 1914. And in 1939, the Obi of Agbor, Obi of Idumuje-Ugboko and the Obi of Aboh, for themselves and the entire Western Igbo people, petitioned the Colonial Administration for carving out the Western Igbos from their Kits and Kins East of the Niger. Consequently, in 1956, Western Igbo leaders organized the AMA1 conferences where it was resolved that the answer to the political problems of the Western Igbos was to create a West Niger Igbo State with the Headquarters at ALIDINMA. The agitation for the creation of the West Niger Igbo State assumed the name ANIOMA after the civil war.
http://ohuzo..com/2010/04/political-suicide-anioma-people-cannot.html?m=1

Another excerpt taken from 'Proudly Anioma' on facebook:

A REFUTATION BENIN ORIGIN HYPOTHESIS OF MOST ANIOMA PEOPLE
[b]Anioma didn't migrate from Benin. If you tell me there are some pockets of anioma that migrated from Benin I may agree but if you tell me that the entire Anioma migrated from Benin that I will disagree with you. Moreover those that migrated from Benin are very little and if we reason logically, these few Bini migrants of Anioma claiming to have found a town and yet lose its language is simply a hoax. That can only happen when there is already a large settlement of a particular group in Anioma which is Igbo. No Igbo man (Anioma) speaks Bini language unless it’s learnt and no traditional ruler in Anioma goes by the title Oba but Obi or Eze. Even Agbor people with its proximity are not wholly migrants from Benin as Pa Iduwe wrote on the history of Ika people.
Ichi Mmor which is prevalent does not exist in Benin. Nobody has said Ezechime did not migrate from Benin, but his origin was definitely not Benin. There are copies of the narratives of Obi Chukwumalieze of Onicha Ugbo in that regard. How can Eze Chime with Igbo names, traditions and customs migrate from Bini? This is a fallacy of the highest order. He sojourned into Bini and made his way back after encountering trouble, simple. I can understand that some Aniomas, a very small number, are of different cognates while a very huge percentage of Aniomas have Igbo progenitors.[/b] This explains why the choice of the Igbo word Anioma (good land) or Igbo language is made. In all of the Anioma towns and villages, Igbo language is predominantly spoken with different accents. The name is a very pure Igbo name or better still a typical Igbo word with the same meaning all across Igbo nation. My conclusion: If they agree to be Anioma, why can't they agree to be Igbo? Aniomas are Igbos, by ancestry or by evolution.

One fallacy we often here is that we were always under the Oba of Benin until the British punitive expedition of 1897. [b]From all available documents, the power of Benin had long collapsed in Anioma land. In fact, from available documents, it was difficult for Benin and their Oba to impose tributes on Anioma towns. This was documented in N.W Thomas, 1913. The American anthropologist in his Igbo speaking people of Asaba hinterland, noted from observation that Anioma people were not paying homage to the Oba and that the people usually sent from Benin to come such tributes had stopped since the 1840s. In fact, he noted that this probably stopped following the defeat of the Benin army by the Ishan confederacy that had imposed their choice as the Oba of Benin. The collapsing power of Benin was firstly reflected in the Adesuwa wars between 1750-55, when the Ubulus, supported by virtually all Anioma towns put up a strong defense including Obior. Another evidence of weak Benin influence in Anioma land comes from the Ekumeku wars. Unlike Ishan land where the fall of Benin in 1897, led to a complete surrender to British forces with feeble opposition here and there, the Anioma people arose up and fought. We fought because we were not under Benin nor were we paying homage to the Oba who had been deposed. We fought because we felt we could defeat the white man which the Benins our rivals could not.
Every Benin identity in Anioma towns came as a result of colonialism which lasted over 400 yrs from conquests by Oba Eware the Great.
b) Ezechime left Igboland and wandered down to d Benin enclave, loved d community there, so, settled & married there, but when his family grew, he searched for a place, which is d present Anioma area.
c) If he was bini, at least, 50% of d bini lingua will remain.[/b]
But Obomkpa people have a contrary opinion to that.. Anagba was a son of Ezechima as well, or was it not Anagba who founded Obomkpa? In Obomkpa for instance, Ezechima is traced to Ogidi east of the Niger.
Indeed listed the five children of Ezechime, Ukpali, Oligbo, Onicha, Anagba and Ifite are Igbo names. They can never be derived from a corrupt form of Edo in any form.
Ifite remains one of the foremost clan in Igboland. The dominant village in Nnobi is Ifite. Oraifite (people of Ifite) is a town in Anambra the grandson of Nri. Ifite is not just Igbo clan but is among the foremost clan in Igboland. There are other towns on communities of ifite in Igboland. Ifitedunu near Awka in Anambra State is a Town of its own. Now, Ifiteuboma is a Local Government that connects many towns in Imo State. Osuifiteakwa and Ifitenanse are saperete towns in Imo State also. These are not withstanding that sub villages in virtually all the villages have Ifite.
What do you have to say about the name Chime? If you care it is a common name in Igboland. Better still, the name of the Governor of Enugu State. For a person to have an Igbo name as Chime, and give Igbo name to his direct son as Ifite can never be an accident unless Igbo origin theory by Onitsha Ugbo tradition and Obomkpa is better than that of the remaining towns of Umuezechime.

History of Ika by Pa Iduwe, an Ika chief and elder statesman

Below is a snapshot of Ika history by Pa Iduwe, mentioning an ancient Nri establishment in Ika before the Bini influence on Ika land.

So like I said, your knowledge of Anioma Igbo matters is very limited. Delta Igboland, just like the SE, is an ancient Igbo settlement which accommodated other settlers in the past, however, this does not make the land any less Igboland in anyway.

1 Like

Re: Igbo Vs Delta-Igbo: What A Guy Posted On Facebook by asha9: 1:46pm On Oct 02, 2016
I agree with you 100%. Don't mind that cursed old man..

ak47mann:
Mr you can't separate languages culture from origin cool

1 Like

Re: Igbo Vs Delta-Igbo: What A Guy Posted On Facebook by Abagworo(m): 1:46pm On Oct 02, 2016
genieluv:

Well, i believe language unites all Ibo speaking people. I don't think most Aniomas would have ever denied igbo identity if all of us were able to fully understand and speak central Ibo. Central Ibo language is not used as a lingua franca in Anioma areas unlike in the south-east and that is why many Anioma people conclude that they don't speak or understand Igbo (central Ibo).

Igbos were never a centralized people and this is where many of the problems came from i think.
Oyo kingdom conquered much of the yoruba speaking tribes and enforced Oyo dialect on them as their lingua franca, they centralized all yoruba speaking tribes to a large extent and that is why if you even go to the most interior villages in Kogi west (Okun) axis and speak Oyo for them, even an old grandmother who has never left Okun land all her life will reply you in Oyo dialect (central yoruba). Yoruba language (Oyo dialect) was heavily centralized.

You are very wrong. All Igbos in Delta State speak central Igbo and nothing else. The Igbo spoken in Delta State is clear and free of any influence. The Ika and Ukwuani speak different dialect and don't see themselves as Igbos. Maybe you are talking about Ika and Ukwuani

5 Likes

Re: Igbo Vs Delta-Igbo: What A Guy Posted On Facebook by Nobody: 1:50pm On Oct 02, 2016
bigfrancis21:

Now the truth is coming out. You have been pummeled into revealing the truth, well clap for yourself.

Since you have finally decided to become sober, I'll treat you as one.

Well know this, no tribe in Africa is pure. You act like the whole of SE originated from the same place when we did not. No. SE itself is also not pure as we did not all come from one place, and some Igbo clans have heavy outside cultural influences such as the Nsukka, the Ohafia, etc. 'South East' is only but a recent zonal creation 30 years ago grouping a section of Igbo-speakers together into one zone. A LOT of transmigration occurred in the past. People, due to different reasons, often crossed boundaries and ventured into new linguistic groups and got assimilated into their new environments. In the past, African ethnic groups had no sense of collective ethnicity, and they only paid allegiance to their spoken dialects and villages. Thus, 100 years ago, an Nnewi man would tell you he is Nnewi, not Igbo. An Ngwa man would tell you he is Ngwa, an Aro man would tell you he is Aro, an Etche man would tell you he is Etche, the Asaba man would tell you he is Asaba and not Igbo etc. Delta Igboland is not any different from South East Igboland in that respect. Yorubaland too is not pure as some Nupes, Baribas, Hausas, defeated and captured war victims from Dahomey during the Oyo-Dahomey wars etc. were assimilated into Yorubaland but they are all Yorubas today.

Worldwide, races are not pure. The whites of America are not all descendants of England/britain. Between 1600 and early 20th century, the Irish, the French, the German etc. all settled in America (Donald Trump who is all loud about being white and against immigrants is actually German - his grandfather is a German who migrated to the US in the late 1800s), and they all make up the white race in America today. The people who identify as Black Americans today are made up of different origins or ethnic groups from Africa and also from Europe but today they are all united as one people - black americans.

So you need to understand that most tribes, ethnic groups etc. on earth are not pure, as they, in the past, assimilated other people into their groups. Do not act like that of Anioma is any different when it is the same for SE too. In fact, by virtue of your logic and the diverse origins of the SE people, SE can decide to coin up a name for themselves and follow that identity like Anioma but it does not make sense as it would lead to further disunity among ourselves.

Like someone here said earlier, instead of looking at the little differences in us, why not look at the similarities between us and unite. At the end of the day, people east and west of the Niger are more related to each other than West of the Niger and any other group in Nigeria or Africa. No Igbo clan is more Igbo than the other. We all know we may have originated from different places in the past, be it wherever, but 'Igbo' is simply a collection of people who speak dialectical variations of the same language. That's what it is.

Igbo bu ofu.
Five Heavy Gbosas for you. Igbo bu Ofu nnam.

2 Likes

Re: Igbo Vs Delta-Igbo: What A Guy Posted On Facebook by bigfrancis21: 1:55pm On Oct 02, 2016
genieluv:

Central Igbo is not natively spoken in SE as you've claimed. I've told you this before. Each clan speaks their dialect and most Igbos in SE have become very exposed to each other that we understand ourselves well but central Igbo is only in full place when writing it but when people speak, people speak their respective dialects. Get this idea of your central Igbo spoken all over the SE out of your head. Go and read up the history of a central Igbo dialect in Igboland starting from Isuama Igbo in the 1800s to Union Igbo in the early 1900s to the final creation of Central Igbo of the 1980s (after the civil war) as standard literary Igbo for educational purposes.

1 Like

Re: Igbo Vs Delta-Igbo: What A Guy Posted On Facebook by ak47mann(m): 1:55pm On Oct 02, 2016
How about Hollywood Oscar award winners found out that they are Igbo through DNA look at them in igboland with title.But they are Americans hope you understand that cool

1 Like

Re: Igbo Vs Delta-Igbo: What A Guy Posted On Facebook by genieluv(f): 1:59pm On Oct 02, 2016
Abagworo:

You are very wrong. All Igbos in Delta State speak central Igbo and nothing else. The Igbo spoken in Delta State is clear and free of any influence. The Ika and Ukwuani speak different dialect and don't see themselves as Igbos. Maybe you are talking about Ika and Ukwuani

Have u really been to Delta state? Enuani sounds closer to Central Ibo but still has many Ika, Ukwuani and edo words, however many Igbos who are skilled in understanding various dialects do understand Enuani.
Central ibo i.e the Igbo izugbe is based on Imo dialect and most Anioma people are lost when you start speaking it and this is the dialect most igbos use as their central Ibo and write it.
Anioma people can easily understand Onitsha dialect and neighboring parts of Anambra better because it is very close to Enuani. Many Enuani people can easily speak Onitsha, but we cannot speak Imo state central Igbo neither do we use central Igbo as a lingua franca.
I asked my mother and grandmother all these questions.
Growing up understanding only little Enuani i discovered i could only understand some igbo dialects but could not understand most of them.

1 Like

Re: Igbo Vs Delta-Igbo: What A Guy Posted On Facebook by genieluv(f): 2:01pm On Oct 02, 2016
bigfrancis21:

Central Igbo is not natively spoken in SE as you've claimed. I've told you this before. Each clan speaks their dialect and most Igbos in SE have become very exposed to each other that we understand ourselves well but central Igbo is only in full place when writing it but when people speak, people speak their respective dialects. Get this idea of your central Igbo spoke all over the SE out of your head. Go and read up the history of a central Igbo dialect in Igboland starting from Isuama Igbo in the 1800s to Union Igbo in the early 1900s to the final creation of Central Igbo of the 1980s (after the civil war) as standard literary Igbo for educational purposes.

I know that central ibo is an artificial lingua franca as i was told, but all Igbos have officially adopted it as their lingua franca for inter communication among different dialect speakers but Aniomas never adopted it as their lingua franca, that is my point.
Re: Igbo Vs Delta-Igbo: What A Guy Posted On Facebook by bigfrancis21: 2:02pm On Oct 02, 2016
genieluv:

[s]Oh, are you saying you cannot challenge my historical facts anymore or your data subscription has been finished on your day and night googling just to challenge my facts? Well, lemme give you a break to ask for more money from your dad, so you can do more googling. LoL, all u'd have just done is ask me politely, no harm in asking, i don't bite. LoL.[/s]

Anyone that knows the average middlebelter will know that they are extremely down to earth peeps. We easily learn people's languages and acculturate. Mercy is fluent in yoruba as well as she grew up in Lagos. My idoma stepfather speaks igbo, hausa and yoruba + his own idoma and Tiv. He was even learning Enuani small small because my mother and grandmother and her sibblings always speak Enuani amongst themselves at home. So we are like that.

Historical 'facts' or 'trash'? Please, enough with the unnecessary hyping already. You have no facts. All that you have mentioned here are your own personal opinions. You are yet to quote any useful researcher or study or even an article or website of sorts. And you call your musings 'historical facts'? Very funny I tell you.

Here in the US, we got fast internet. Also, we do not do N100 data subscription when there is fast wi-fi service in almost every house in the US.

3 Likes

Re: Igbo Vs Delta-Igbo: What A Guy Posted On Facebook by ak47mann(m): 2:04pm On Oct 02, 2016
genieluv:

I know that central ibo is an artificial lingua franca as i was told, but all Igbos have officially adopted it as their lingua franca for inter communication among different dialect speakers but Aniomas never adopted it as their lingua franca, that is my point.
I speak central Igbo in asaba and is the most common Igbo language in asaba cool
Re: Igbo Vs Delta-Igbo: What A Guy Posted On Facebook by bigfrancis21: 2:05pm On Oct 02, 2016
genieluv:

Not really. Even in Nollywood Igbo movies, they do not even speak central Igbo, mostly their native dialects or Onitsha Igbo. In reality, Onitsha Igbo is more of a spoken central Igbo in Anambra, Enugu and Ebonyi states and Igbo Izugbe the written central Igbo used in schools and higher institutions. That's how it is in the SE. If you claim to be Anioma and you understand Igbo, then visit the SE and see for yourself.

1 Like

Re: Igbo Vs Delta-Igbo: What A Guy Posted On Facebook by genieluv(f): 2:06pm On Oct 02, 2016
ak47mann:
How about Hollywood Oscar award winners found out that they are Igbo through DNA look at them in igboland with title.But they are Americans hope you understand that cool

grin grin All this is just for show off! Did the Igbo leaders verify the DNA report? And how sure are they that the man is not from Anioma or Ikwerre or even Idoma or Igala? because as long as we are concerned, most of us share similar DNA as we have been intermarrying tribally and have similar origins, ancestry and migrations.

If an ordinary African american thug and street niggar comes from America to Igbo land to confirm his heritage, would he be given any chieftancy? It all boils down to what am saying --------SUCCESS and some cashhhh.
Re: Igbo Vs Delta-Igbo: What A Guy Posted On Facebook by Abagworo(m): 2:09pm On Oct 02, 2016
genieluv:

Have u really been to Delta state? Enuani sounds closer to Central Ibo but still has many Ika, Ukwuani and edo words, however many Igbos who are skilled in understanding various dialects do understand Enuani.
Central ibo i.e the Igbo izugbe is based on Imo dialect and most Anioma people are lost when you start speaking it and this is the dialect most igbos use as their central Ibo and write it.
Anioma people can easily understand Onitsha dialect and neighboring parts of Anambra better because it is very close to Enuani. Many Enuani people can easily speak Onitsha, but we cannot speak Imo state central Igbo neither do we use central Igbo as a lingua franca.
I asked my mother and grandmother all these questions.
Growing up understanding only little Enuani i discovered i could only understand some igbo dialects but could not understand most of them.

I have been in Delta State Igbo area severally and have even gone deep inside villages. The Igbo I hear them speak is no different from what is spoken in Onitsha or Idemili. I didn't notice a single difference. I know of difference in Kwale, Obiaruku or Agbor but as far as I am concerned not even 1% difference exists in Asaba, Ogwashi ukwu and Igbuzor.

2 Likes

Re: Igbo Vs Delta-Igbo: What A Guy Posted On Facebook by genieluv(f): 2:13pm On Oct 02, 2016
ak47mann:
I speak central Igbo in asaba and is the most common Igbo language in asaba cool

Yes, many Asaba people are now becoming very acquinted with all Igbo dialects because so many igbos are coming there and they are all relating and the area's proximity to Onitsha.
This is not the situation in my father's village Ubulubu in Ubulu uku kingdom or interior Anioma communities, and since many of our people do not migrate to Igbo land, we just stick to our local dialects wherever we migrate to and when Igbos start speaking central igbo for us, we may not understand very well, even if we understand, we cannot reply in central igbo, then they start insulting us to be fake Igbos.
Re: Igbo Vs Delta-Igbo: What A Guy Posted On Facebook by ak47mann(m): 2:16pm On Oct 02, 2016
[quote author=genieluv post=49852329]

grin grin All this is just for show off! Did the Igbo leaders verify the DNA report? And how sure are they that the man is not from Anioma or Ikwerre or even Idoma or Igala? because as long as we are concerned, most of us share similar DNA as we have been intermarrying tribally and have similar origins, ancestry and migrations.

If an ordinary African american thug and street niggar comes from America to Igbo land to confirm his heritage, would he be given any chieftancy? It all boils down to what am saying --------SUCCESS and some cashhhh.[/quote The reason people do DNA when it comes to ancestral heritage background.With DNA you can tell where you come from,towns and villages including the family tree.If you are financially capable to pay for it you get it do your findings cool

1 Like

Re: Igbo Vs Delta-Igbo: What A Guy Posted On Facebook by bigfrancis21: 2:17pm On Oct 02, 2016
Is Igbo language taught as a subject in secondary schools in Delta state? Who knows about this? If yes, in what areas of Delta state especially? And do Delta Igbos take it in WAEC?
Re: Igbo Vs Delta-Igbo: What A Guy Posted On Facebook by genieluv(f): 2:19pm On Oct 02, 2016
bigfrancis21:

Historical 'facts' or 'trash'? Please, enough with the unnecessary hyping already. You have no facts. All that you have mentioned here are your own personal opinions. You are yet to quote any useful researcher or study or even an article or website of sorts. And you call your musings 'historical facts'? Very funny I tell you.

Here in the US, we got fast internet. Also, we do not do N100 data subscription when there is fast wi-fi service in almost every house in the US.

LoL, i read a lot of historical documents and ask elders questions. My only problem is that i don't save those documents or memorize the names of the authors. I guess i will start to do that from now.

Well you can see from my little explanation why all of Aniomas are not compelled or mandated to claim igbo identity? It should be our personal choice.
Not until all Anioma leaders and traditional rulers hold a meeting and unanimously declare to us all that we are Igbos, before all of us will accept. But they have not done anything of such.
If the Asagba of Asaba is serious on igbonizing all of us, let him hold or organize an Anioma meeting and convince all our kings and traditional leaders to make a public declaration that we are all Igbos and have no other identity outside this.

1 Like

Re: Igbo Vs Delta-Igbo: What A Guy Posted On Facebook by Abagworo(m): 2:20pm On Oct 02, 2016
genieluv:

Yes, many Asaba people are now becoming very acquinted with all Igbo dialects because so many igbos are coming there and they are all relating and the area's proximity to Onitsha.
This is not the situation in my father's village Ubulubu in Ubulu uku kingdom or interior Anioma communities, and since many of our people do not migrate to Igbo land, we just stick to our local dialects wherever we migrate to and when Igbos start speaking central igbo for us, we may not understand very well, even if we understand, we cannot reply in central igbo, then they start insulting us to be fake Igbos.

Help us translate these phrases in Ubulu Ukwu dialect.

1 what is your name

2 my father is a man

3 come and take meat
Re: Igbo Vs Delta-Igbo: What A Guy Posted On Facebook by bigfrancis21: 2:20pm On Oct 02, 2016
genieluv:

This is the same for some interior places in Nsukka I have been to, in Nkanu land and many areas in Enugu state and Ebonyi state where the natives can only speak their native dialects. They barely can speak English and understand when you speak but can only respond to you in their native dialects when you speak to them in Onitsha or central Igbo.
Re: Igbo Vs Delta-Igbo: What A Guy Posted On Facebook by Abagworo(m): 2:25pm On Oct 02, 2016
genieluv:

LoL, i read a lot of historical documents and ask elders questions. My only problem is that i don't save those documents or memorize the names of the authors. I guess i will start to do that from now.

Well you can see from my little explanation why all of Aniomas are not compelled or mandated to claim igbo identity? It should be our personal choice.
Not until all Anioma leaders and traditional rulers hold a meeting and unanimously declare to us all that we are Igbos, before all of us will accept. But they have not done anything of such.
If the Asagba of Asaba is serious on igbonizing all of us, let him hold or organize an Anioma meeting and convince all our kings and traditional leaders to make a public declaration that we are all Igbos and have no other identity outside this.

I think the issue here is Anioma not Igbo. Some Aniomas are not Igbo but joined to form Anioma which is more of a political association than an ethnic group. The Southeast for example has Igala and Ibibio but many people view Southeast as just Igbo forgetting its a mere artificial geopolitical creation like Anioma.

1 Like

Re: Igbo Vs Delta-Igbo: What A Guy Posted On Facebook by genieluv(f): 2:27pm On Oct 02, 2016
Abagworo:

I have been in Delta State Igbo area severally and have even gone deep inside villages. The Igbo I hear them speak is no different from what is spoken in Onitsha or Idemili. I didn't notice a single difference. I know of difference in Kwale, Obiaruku or Agbor but as far as I am concerned not even 1% difference exists in Asaba, Ogwashi ukwu and Igbuzor.

Asaba and Igbuzor are not interior Enuani as such, these areas are very close to Onitsha and Igbo language is heavily influencing them even down to their villages.

For Ogwashi uku, that town is clearly of Nri origin or Igbo origin is very dominant there that is why most of them don't really deny igbo and they try their best to act like igbos the more, but as for towns like Onicha ugbo, Onicha Olona, Onicha ukwu, Nsukwa, Ubulu uku, Isele-uku, the story changes, our rural dialects and the dialects spoken by the older people are quite different. My mother and grandmother were speaking the language one time in Jos and our igbos neighbours there confessed that they could not really understand it at all. I think dialectal comprehension is individual, i have seen many igbos who claim they don't understand Anioma at all at all, but some who claim they do understand.
Re: Igbo Vs Delta-Igbo: What A Guy Posted On Facebook by Ngozi123(f): 2:29pm On Oct 02, 2016
bigfrancis21:

This woman, you are very stupid. Nollywood that recognizes talents of people and if you are talented they support you in your acting career. Nollywood made Mercy Johnson what she is. We took her in like one of our own, gave her roles to act, popularized her. Or you think she just 'dominated' on her own like that? Is that how st.upid you are? Mercy Johnson that even speaks fluent Igbo now just like a south easterner.

Once more, you see why your sense of reasoning is superficical. You think it is all about the actors you see on screen, as if actors are the major part of the movie industries. You barely know all the parts - directing, producing, sales, marketing etc. that make sure a movie is successful.

Nollywood can be likened to a company set up by one man, and he employs workers who work hard for the company and the company grows. The outside world sees and interacts with the workers who are the face of the company and in return the company recognizes the talents and hard work of its employees and pays them salaries, promotes them and whatnot but at the end of the day the ownership of the company remains with who? You go figure it out, that is if you can use google, du.mb hag.

@bold...and Rochas himself, unlike his father, married an Igbo woman. grin grin

Igbo women still remain 10 times as beautiful than you will ever be. Deal with that ugly hag.

It's funny, she gloats about Rochas having an Igbo father and a northern mother but she fails to mention the fact that Mercy Johnson Ozioma Okojie is the product of an Igbo woman and a northern man. She's only proving your point with that one...

3 Likes

Re: Igbo Vs Delta-Igbo: What A Guy Posted On Facebook by Nobody: 2:36pm On Oct 02, 2016
Abagworo:

Exactly bro! Ask her which language do Anioma's use in communicating during their annual Akwa-Ocha cultural gathering? Or the language of communication during the last Delta north political gathering that produced Okowa as sole candidate of the zone. Lol! Or, maybe she should tell me whether my inlaws from Ika spoke pidgin when they came for my elder cousin's hand in marriage last year.
For her information, Central Igbo is the means of communication in Delta north. And just like in the SE everybody is expected to understand the language. One is allowed to speak one's dialect be it Ika, Ukwuani or Aniocha, but when you want to communicate with your fellow Anioma, you drop your dialect and speak in the language that is generally comprehendable to others.
Re: Igbo Vs Delta-Igbo: What A Guy Posted On Facebook by genieluv(f): 3:06pm On Oct 02, 2016
bigfrancis21:

This is the same for some interior places in Nsukka I have been to, in Nkanu land and many areas in Enugu state and Ebonyi state where the natives can only speak their native dialects. They barely can speak English and understand when you speak but can only respond to you in their native dialects when you speak to them in Onitsha or central Igbo.

Ok, never heard of this.

Abagworo:

I think the issue here is Anioma not Igbo. Some Aniomas are not Igbo but joined to form Anioma which is more of a political association than an ethnic group. The Southeast for example has Igala and Ibibio but many people view Southeast as just Igbo forgetting its a mere artificial geopolitical creation like Anioma.
Ok, tell us which Aniomas are igbos and which are not.
I have seen Aniomas from Ika and Ukwuani who accept that they are igbos and i have also seen Aniomas from Enuani who reject Igbo identity. It's a divided thing. Like i said b4, igbo identity is not an issue to most Anioma people, that is one of the least of their worries. So such a trivial issue can never be a yardstick to divide Anioma nation.

Abagworo:

Help us translate these phrases in Ubulu Ukwu dialect.

1 what is your name

2 my father is a man

3 come and take meat

i really don't know how to write the language, but i will reply u when i get someone to help me with the appropriate spellings. Dont blame me i grew up in the north.

Ngozi123:

It's funny, she gloats about Rochas having an Igbo father and a northern mother but she fails to mention the fact that Mercy Johnson Ozioma Okojie is the product of an Igbo woman and a northern man. She's only proving your point with that one...

Mercy Johnson is a full blooded Igbirra girl, her mother was never igbo. Many people feel that Ozioma is an igbo name, it is actually an igbirra name, an ebira friend of mine confirmed it to me that the name means 'a daughter has arrived in ibirra language, ask anyone you know from Okene. Many Igbirras, Igalas and Idomas answer names which look like igbo names but are not in the real sense. If you doubt this just go on facebook and search for 'Ozioma Okene', you will see many egbirra people with the name.

Chiwude:
Exactly bro! Ask her which language do Anioma's use in communicating during their annual Akwa-Ocha cultural gathering? Or the language of communication during the last Delta north political gathering that produced Okowa as sole candidate of the zone. Lol! Or, maybe she should tell me whether my inlaws from Ika spoke pidgin when they came for my elder cousin's hand in marriage last year.
For her information, Central Igbo is the means of communication in Delta north. And just like in the SE everybody is expected to understand the language. One is allowed to speak one's dialect be it Ika, Ukwuani or Aniocha, but when you want to communicate with your fellow Anioma, you drop your dialect and speak in the language that is generally comprehendable to others.

I have asked this question too, because i really have not attended any anioma meeting, but i was told that everyone just speaks his or her own dialect and replies with his or her own dialect as they all understand each others dialects being neighbours for hundreds of years. I have also observed on my own that most Ika and Ndokwa people understand Anochia dialect and many of them can switch to Anochia easily.
Re: Igbo Vs Delta-Igbo: What A Guy Posted On Facebook by genieluv(f): 3:16pm On Oct 02, 2016
@ Ngozi123,

Pls next time, never u come on a public forum to disgrace yourself due to opinions based on extremism and bigotry.
I helped you to do the facebook search in case u were too lazy to do it.

See many Ibirra people below from Okene answering Ozioma, i guess they all have Igbo mothers? LoL grin grin

(1) (2) (3) ... (44) (45) (46) (47) (48) (49) (50) ... (56) (Reply)

Boko Haram Killing Yorubas And Igbos 3-days Expired (pix)! -vanguard Newspaper / Buhari "Almost Moved To Tears"After Seeing How Trillions Of Naira Were Embezzled / Longest Flyover In West Africa (kano state), Named After OBASANJO- Pictures

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 188
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.