Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,150,704 members, 7,809,680 topics. Date: Friday, 26 April 2024 at 12:58 PM

Nnedi Okorafor Wins Hugo Award. Becomes First Nigerian To Win That - Literature - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Entertainment / Literature / Nnedi Okorafor Wins Hugo Award. Becomes First Nigerian To Win That (14440 Views)

Nnedi Okorafor Wins Kurd Laßwitz Prize / HBO: Nnedi Okorafor's ‘Who Fears Death’ Turned Into TV Series / Nigerians React To Nnedi Okorafor's Dreadlocks (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (Reply) (Go Down)

Nnedi Okorafor Wins Hugo Award. Becomes First Nigerian To Win That by Nobody: 4:51pm On Sep 15, 2016
Nnedi Okorafor Becomes First Nigerian To Win Prestigious Hugo Award

We are delighted to share that Nnedi Okorafor’s Binti has just been named a Hugo award winner in the best novella category. The Hugo awards are given annually to highlight the best science fiction works of the previous year. Unlike Binti’s previous Nebula award, the Hugo awards are voted for by members of the World Science Fiction convention. Winners of previous Hugo awards include Ursula K. Le Guin and J.K Rowling.

Binti is a Harrypotter-esque space odyssey about a young girl faced with leaving her family and surviving the dangerous journey to her university in the galaxy. Here is one reviewer’s description:

“Binti is utterly captivating… [and] shows that one girl can change the course of the galaxy.” ―Michaela Gray, Geek Syndicate

Amongst the diverse winners last night was Hao Jingfang, author of Folding Beijing, who became the second Chinese writer to win a Hugo Award.
Asked on NPR a couple of days ago about the push-back by some writer groups against multi-cultural stories in the Hugo Awards, Okorafor responded:

I think that inevitably science fiction and fantasy was going to become more diverse, and I think that certain people kind of react negatively to that because they’ve been used to being in a certain position for so long. And they feel that they’re being moved from the center…when really that is not what’s happening at all. Things are just becoming bigger and more exciting, and they’re included as well. So I think that it’s fear of the unknown. I think these are the last throes of that shift. It’s – these are growing pains.- NPR

Huge congratulations to Nnedi Okorafor for effortlessly toppling multiple decades-old barriers. We can’t wait to read what she writes next!

http://brittlepaper.com/2016/09/nnedi-okorafor-nigerian-win-prestigious-hugo-award/

25 Likes 2 Shares

Re: Nnedi Okorafor Wins Hugo Award. Becomes First Nigerian To Win That by FKO81(m): 4:56pm On Sep 15, 2016
[quote author=xharder post=49387665][/quote]
From tribe of great minds. Congrats sis!
lalasticlala

52 Likes 2 Shares

Re: Nnedi Okorafor Wins Hugo Award. Becomes First Nigerian To Win That by veekid(m): 6:24am On Sep 16, 2016
Good news

3 Likes 1 Share

Re: Nnedi Okorafor Wins Hugo Award. Becomes First Nigerian To Win That by Nobody: 6:26am On Sep 16, 2016
grin grin grin grin
Re: Nnedi Okorafor Wins Hugo Award. Becomes First Nigerian To Win That by Proffdada: 6:26am On Sep 16, 2016
Wow! Let me start writing my own grin
Re: Nnedi Okorafor Wins Hugo Award. Becomes First Nigerian To Win That by uncjay(m): 6:28am On Sep 16, 2016
Awww....
Congratulation to her....
Nice one.... Ftc

1 Like

Re: Nnedi Okorafor Wins Hugo Award. Becomes First Nigerian To Win That by Henrypraise: 6:29am On Sep 16, 2016
Nigerians ar happy winning awards in other country, very gud. d white man has a way of immortalizing his name for a gud course.

do we av tins like:

sole Soyinka literature award

buhari anti corruption award gala/ buns.

peter obi innovative award nite

obasanjo military award

Good luck personality award.

keshi football award.

instead we av:

face of Nigeria pageant

earth Nigeria pageant

miss Nigeria pageant

Queen Nigeria pageant

black face Nigeria pageant

olosho Nigeria pageant

miss fine tune Nigeria pageant.

51 Likes 2 Shares

Re: Nnedi Okorafor Wins Hugo Award. Becomes First Nigerian To Win That by Eastfield1: 6:29am On Sep 16, 2016
hmm
Daalụ nne

10 Likes

Re: Nnedi Okorafor Wins Hugo Award. Becomes First Nigerian To Win That by sotall(m): 6:29am On Sep 16, 2016
k
Re: Nnedi Okorafor Wins Hugo Award. Becomes First Nigerian To Win That by Pvin: 6:32am On Sep 16, 2016
Igbo kwenu!!

37 Likes 2 Shares

Re: Nnedi Okorafor Wins Hugo Award. Becomes First Nigerian To Win That by Neddstark: 6:32am On Sep 16, 2016
Prestigious? Who knows Hugo awards?
Re: Nnedi Okorafor Wins Hugo Award. Becomes First Nigerian To Win That by ochilikoko(m): 6:33am On Sep 16, 2016
Igbos are versatile, we are the best in everything we engage in. Afonjas will like to refer Nnedi as a Nigerian now

40 Likes 2 Shares

Re: Nnedi Okorafor Wins Hugo Award. Becomes First Nigerian To Win That by BeeBeeOoh(m): 6:36am On Sep 16, 2016
[size=15pt]We Are Always Repping.. [/size]

Ada Di'ora Mma Chukwu Gbaa GI Ume smiley cool

38 Likes 1 Share

Re: Nnedi Okorafor Wins Hugo Award. Becomes First Nigerian To Win That by Destined2win: 6:36am On Sep 16, 2016
Wow....Impressive
Re: Nnedi Okorafor Wins Hugo Award. Becomes First Nigerian To Win That by StephanieLuv(f): 6:37am On Sep 16, 2016
We are delighted to share that [size=30pt]Nnedi Okorafor’s[/size] Binti has just been named a Hugo award winner in the best novella category. The Hugo awards are given annually to highlight the best science fiction works of the previous year. Unlike Binti’s previous Nebula award, the Hugo awards are voted for by members of the World Science Fiction convention. Winners of previous Hugo awards include Ursula K. Le Guin and J.K Rowling.

Igbo Kwenu!!!!!!!!!! kwezunu!!!!!!!!!

Proud to be Igbo.

Afonjas won't like this news grin grin grin but who cares

46 Likes 2 Shares

Re: Nnedi Okorafor Wins Hugo Award. Becomes First Nigerian To Win That by Montaque(m): 6:38am On Sep 16, 2016
Neddstark:
Where ve u been to?

8 Likes

Re: Nnedi Okorafor Wins Hugo Award. Becomes First Nigerian To Win That by Eastfield1: 6:39am On Sep 16, 2016
Neddstark:
this is why Nigeria is (called) a third world country
so its not a crime if you have knowledge of nothing.
beside, they said if u want to hide something from africans.
u shud put it in d middle page of a book.
but hey c'mon dis is 21st century, the internet is free.

17 Likes 1 Share

Re: Nnedi Okorafor Wins Hugo Award. Becomes First Nigerian To Win That by ozuru(m): 6:42am On Sep 16, 2016
Igbo Kwenu, Afonjas Won't Like This

16 Likes

Re: Nnedi Okorafor Wins Hugo Award. Becomes First Nigerian To Win That by StephanieLuv(f): 6:42am On Sep 16, 2016
Neddstark:

Afonjas wink wink wink hater alert

17 Likes

Re: Nnedi Okorafor Wins Hugo Award. Becomes First Nigerian To Win That by Phiniter(m): 6:42am On Sep 16, 2016
Igbos Are the most mentally emancipated tribe in Africa that's why you see her women competing globally in all facets as well as their men.

19 Likes

Re: Nnedi Okorafor Wins Hugo Award. Becomes First Nigerian To Win That by vikkeee(m): 6:43am On Sep 16, 2016
Congratulations
Re: Nnedi Okorafor Wins Hugo Award. Becomes First Nigerian To Win That by Nkem4040: 6:44am On Sep 16, 2016
Henrypraise:
[s]Nigerians ar happy winning awards in other country, very gud. d white man has a way of immortalizing his name for a gud course.

do we av tins like:

obasanjo military award

keshi football award.

instead we av:

face of Nigeria pageant

earth Nigeria pageant

miss Nigeria pageant

Queen Nigeria pageant

olosho Nigeria pageant

miss fine tune Nigeria pageant.[/s]

Afonja and speaking in tongue out of the envy in their blood because the recipient is Igbo. Replace the name with Ademola, and you won't see all these useless distractions...save your advice for a yoruba recipient! Same way, Dangote showed interest in buying Arsenal, Afonja showered praises on him but when Capital Oil Ifeanyi Ubah only advertised his company at West Ham...they entered their afonja mode: why he is advertising in UK? How is this going to help his company? Does he have a business adviser? Lol...but afonja: you showered blessing and encomiums on Dangote for trying to do 10x of what Ifeanyi Ubah did.

30 Likes 2 Shares

Re: Nnedi Okorafor Wins Hugo Award. Becomes First Nigerian To Win That by englishmart(m): 6:46am On Sep 16, 2016
My sister from different parents.

4 Likes

Re: Nnedi Okorafor Wins Hugo Award. Becomes First Nigerian To Win That by amstamon: 6:48am On Sep 16, 2016
BeeBeeOoh:
We Are Always Repping..

Ada Di'ora Mma Chukwu Gbaa GI Ume smiley cool

For real mehn!!! Una dey repp gan o.. Na so una dey repp naija for drugs-bloodmoney Olympics, always winning gold, silver and bronze at the same time. Una even win platinum sef. Igbo kwenu!!!!!!!
Re: Nnedi Okorafor Wins Hugo Award. Becomes First Nigerian To Win That by seacoast(m): 6:49am On Sep 16, 2016
Congrats ooooooo

1 Like

Re: Nnedi Okorafor Wins Hugo Award. Becomes First Nigerian To Win That by BeeBeeOoh(m): 6:50am On Sep 16, 2016
amstamon:

For real mehn!!! Una dey repp gan o.. Na so una dey repp naija for drugs-bloodmoney Olympics, always winning gold, silver and bronze at the same time. Una even win platinum sef. Igbo kwenu!!!!!!!
What's your tribe let's start from there??

8 Likes

Re: Nnedi Okorafor Wins Hugo Award. Becomes First Nigerian To Win That by seacoast(m): 6:51am On Sep 16, 2016
sotall:
k
the spirit of Empty treasury dey ur head ooo, imagine this ur plot of land na only (K) U use secure am. Lol

1 Like

Re: Nnedi Okorafor Wins Hugo Award. Becomes First Nigerian To Win That by Phiniter(m): 6:59am On Sep 16, 2016
Henrypraise:
Nigerians ar happy winning awards in other country, very gud. d white man has a way of immortalizing his name for a gud course.

do we av tins like:

obasanjo military award

keshi football award.

instead we av:

face of Nigeria pageant

earth Nigeria pageant

miss Nigeria pageant

Queen Nigeria pageant

olosho Nigeria pageant

miss fine tune Nigeria pageant.

Word Bro. I totally get your point. But still you gotta commend the kid for this.

2 Likes

Re: Nnedi Okorafor Wins Hugo Award. Becomes First Nigerian To Win That by Henrypraise: 7:01am On Sep 16, 2016
Nkem4040:

Afonja and speaking in tongue out of the envy because the recipient is Igbo. Replace the name with Ademola, and you won't see all these useless distractions...save your advice for a yoruba! Same way, Dangote showed interest in buying Arsenal, Afonja showered praises on him but when Capital Oil Ifeanyi Ubah only advertised his company at West Ham...they entered their afonja mode: why he is advertising in UK? How is this going to help his company? Does he have a business adviser? Lol...but afonja: you showered blessing and encomiums on Dangote for trying to do 10x of what Ifeanyi Ubah did.

m neither Yoruba nor Igbo, stop being paranoid. my comment is devoid of tribal sentiment n bigotry, I don't knw were ur insinuations ar coming from.

but if u still feel pained go get ur own award.

nkem4040 award for d pained.
Re: Nnedi Okorafor Wins Hugo Award. Becomes First Nigerian To Win That by Nkem4040: 7:03am On Sep 16, 2016
Henrypraise:

[s]
m neither Yoruba nor Igbo, stop being paranoid. my comment ar devoid of sentiment n bigotry, I don't knw were ur insinuations ar coming from[/s].

If you reply me again, I 'll slap that your afonja scratched tiger face.

16 Likes

Re: Nnedi Okorafor Wins Hugo Award. Becomes First Nigerian To Win That by kernel504(m): 7:05am On Sep 16, 2016
Neddstark:

Nobody from your lineage has ever won community stick, more of international accolade.

14 Likes

(1) (2) (3) (Reply)

John Mahama Receives Godspower Oshodin, Nigerian Poet (Photo) / My Life In Pastor's House . .by. Abayomi / I Love You, But I Am Guilty.

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 34
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.