Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,153,217 members, 7,818,739 topics. Date: Sunday, 05 May 2024 at 11:42 PM

Does The Police Have Any Constitutional Right To Go Through A Citizen`s Phone? - Politics (2) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / Does The Police Have Any Constitutional Right To Go Through A Citizen`s Phone? (25306 Views)

Donald Duke: "You Can’t Zone My Constitutional Right To Contest For President" / Which Nigerian Citizen(s) Signed The 1914 Amalgamation? / Constitutional Amendment: See The Nine Key Areas Senate, House Of Reps Disagree. (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Does The Police Have Any Constitutional Right To Go Through A Citizen`s Phone? by xtervaganza(m): 12:18pm On Sep 22, 2016
The last time one of them stopped me to check my phone, I told him I'll only give him after putting his name down. I'll give the name to my lawyer who in turn will sue the police force for harassment.

Then I told him I have a copy if the Nigerian constitution on my phone that he has no right to infringe my privacy without a warrant

10 Likes

Re: Does The Police Have Any Constitutional Right To Go Through A Citizen`s Phone? by gbishman: 12:20pm On Sep 22, 2016
Don't they require a warrant?
Re: Does The Police Have Any Constitutional Right To Go Through A Citizen`s Phone? by keniolawumi56(m): 12:22pm On Sep 22, 2016
Ahmed0336:
Most Police officers are terrible, that uniform make em feel they can do and undo. Most of em knows nothing about human right and constitution.
Lemme drop a story.
A week back my friend was driving along Lafia road when a camry hit him from behind, he lost control then ran into two keke napep parked by the road side. Four persons lost their lives included a pregnant woman, luckily police officers were stationed at the scene of the accident. The camry driver ran off. my friend was hospitalized when policemen came and took him straight no short cuts to cell. The families of the deceased gave statements at the station that since it was no fault of his that the police should set him free. Likewise those officers stationed at the point of the incident also gave their statements saying my friend wasn't at fault.
As I am typing this that dude is still in cell. They said they ll grant him bail if we pay 150,000 and the person must have properties in lafia. Aswear if I say d matter no tire me I lie. D dude looks sick, 1 week now him never bath and if u see the cell honestly u no go pray to enter police trap
Consult a lawyer.
Re: Does The Police Have Any Constitutional Right To Go Through A Citizen`s Phone? by Nobody: 12:24pm On Sep 22, 2016
babyfaceafrica:
Depends

Depends on what?, they randomly stop peolple on the street with no probable cause and start checking their phone. What if my wife naked picture is on my phon. He will see it

4 Likes

Re: Does The Police Have Any Constitutional Right To Go Through A Citizen`s Phone? by docmoses(m): 12:25pm On Sep 22, 2016
The police man is related to buhari na

1 Like

Re: Does The Police Have Any Constitutional Right To Go Through A Citizen`s Phone? by tafat: 12:26pm On Sep 22, 2016
No way. I`ll sue them and claim damages. Meanwhile,Op, when is the Phantom 6 going to be released?
Re: Does The Police Have Any Constitutional Right To Go Through A Citizen`s Phone? by cindyrocks(f): 12:28pm On Sep 22, 2016
HungerBAD aka Inibeghe Effiong your attention is needed here sir.
Re: Does The Police Have Any Constitutional Right To Go Through A Citizen`s Phone? by Nobody: 12:28pm On Sep 22, 2016
goldenceo1:

some apps bro.. i.e boa,chase,wellsfargo mobiles app, kik, vpn, 1*q. checks, foreign I'd card, pix of client, etc u don't wanna be caught wit does app or else 150-400k will be offering depending on ur G word contacts.
chase and USAA app almost put me in those police net thank god say you fit hide app on iPhone
Re: Does The Police Have Any Constitutional Right To Go Through A Citizen`s Phone? by teacherbim(f): 12:32pm On Sep 22, 2016
ydass:

Depends on what?, they randomly stop peolple on the street with no probable cause and start checking their phone. What if my wife naked picture is on my phon. He will see it

Lol
Re: Does The Police Have Any Constitutional Right To Go Through A Citizen`s Phone? by Dandsome: 12:34pm On Sep 22, 2016
tafat:
No way. I`ll sue them and claim damages. Meanwhile,Op, when is the Phantom 6 going to be released?

Sue them and claim which damages in Nigeria? I never see that one o.

For the launch of the Phantom 6, well I`ve been reading on their twitter handle that its on the 25th of September
Re: Does The Police Have Any Constitutional Right To Go Through A Citizen`s Phone? by generalstone(m): 12:36pm On Sep 22, 2016
I've been stopped twice by those people.the thing is quite embarrassing my people
Re: Does The Police Have Any Constitutional Right To Go Through A Citizen`s Phone? by sunboy(m): 12:38pm On Sep 22, 2016
Go to Iwo road, in front of 3CHUB shop, they will ransack you. If you carry a traveling bag they will offload everything you pack. In Ibadan, no even carry your smartphone o, even if police see bank alert showing your balance wey carry above 100-200k u don enter am.

2 Likes

Re: Does The Police Have Any Constitutional Right To Go Through A Citizen`s Phone? by FellaL: 12:38pm On Sep 22, 2016
The thunder that will fire the police that wants to check my Phantom 6 is doing press up. When it us not like I bought iPhone 7. And even if I buy iPhone 7, they don't have the right.
Re: Does The Police Have Any Constitutional Right To Go Through A Citizen`s Phone? by Nobody: 12:40pm On Sep 22, 2016
ABUZINZU:
No

Please forward the full scan to me so i can print and keep in my car and on my phone for future reference
Re: Does The Police Have Any Constitutional Right To Go Through A Citizen`s Phone? by joesam046(m): 12:40pm On Sep 22, 2016
:oNo they Don't .
Re: Does The Police Have Any Constitutional Right To Go Through A Citizen`s Phone? by FellaL: 12:43pm On Sep 22, 2016
Dandsome:

For the launch of the Phantom 6, well I`ve been reading on their twitter handle that its on the 25th of September

OP, how much will it go for? Looks like iPhone 7 would require me of blood money or high end scamming, which I don't have conscience for.
Re: Does The Police Have Any Constitutional Right To Go Through A Citizen`s Phone? by pat1612(m): 12:43pm On Sep 22, 2016
Police and illegal activities b like...

I beg plz add most famous pic on nairaland sad
Re: Does The Police Have Any Constitutional Right To Go Through A Citizen`s Phone? by mmsen: 12:44pm On Sep 22, 2016
Police play by their own crooked rules and that isn't just Nigeria, that is a global problem.

When individuals are handed undue levels of power they will inevitably abuse that power.
Re: Does The Police Have Any Constitutional Right To Go Through A Citizen`s Phone? by MONITZ: 12:49pm On Sep 22, 2016
Dandsome:

Don't mind the guy, he sure lives in Mars nd not the Nigeria that we all know.
Re: Does The Police Have Any Constitutional Right To Go Through A Citizen`s Phone? by pr0blem: 12:50pm On Sep 22, 2016
Because I buy Phantom 6 or iPhone 7,you want to check my phone?

Re: Does The Police Have Any Constitutional Right To Go Through A Citizen`s Phone? by Greenbullet(m): 12:50pm On Sep 22, 2016
LEMME SHARE MY OWN STORY,THIS HAPPENED IN BENIN CITY,ME AND A FRIEND WHO DRIVES A VERY EXQUISITE CAR(name withheld because of stalking gold diggers) WERE DRIVING PAST EKEWAN ROAD,CLOSE TO AERODROME CLOSE ON A FRIDAY EVENING, NA SO POLICE STOP US O,ASK WHERE LICENSE WE SHOW THEM,ASK WHERE EXTINGUISHER,WE SHOW THEM,ASK WHERE SPARE TYRE,WE SHOW THEM,THEM.COME ASK WHO GET HP pavilion LAPTOP WEY DEY BACK SEAT,MY FRIEND SAY NA IM OWN,DEM SAY DEM ONE SEARCH INSIDE THE LAPTOP ,NA MY FRIEND SAY NO,NA THEM SAY MAKE WE COME DOWN,ME AND MY FRIEND BEING GOOD GUYS IN THE NEIGHBORHOOD RAISED OUR VOICE NA SO BOYS FALL OUT ,POLICE NO FIT TALK AGAIN.RUBBISH PEOPLE

10 Likes

Re: Does The Police Have Any Constitutional Right To Go Through A Citizen`s Phone? by seyiojomu(m): 12:52pm On Sep 22, 2016
Please have you gotten the full scan of that piece jare. I will also be needing it

LaEvilIMiss:

Please forward the full scan to me so i can print and keep in my car and on my phone for future reference
Re: Does The Police Have Any Constitutional Right To Go Through A Citizen`s Phone? by orimsamsam(m): 12:53pm On Sep 22, 2016
The issue is getting out of hand in ibadan. They will even read ur message. SCAn it for ur bank statement of account. If the money in account is high then automatically u are a yahoo boy. They will handcuff u to there vichicle.

1 Like

Re: Does The Police Have Any Constitutional Right To Go Through A Citizen`s Phone? by Thomthom(m): 12:54pm On Sep 22, 2016
alexistaiwo:
Asking this question at this point in we Nigerians quest for a truly sane modern civilization is akin to putting the cart before the horse. You should be asking.
1. Is it constitutional for a soldier to tear you default factory reset slap at the slightest provocation?
2. Is it constitutional for budget padding not to be crime?
3. Is it constitutional for you to have to get to the top of a 'who you know' basis not on merit?
4. Is it constitutional for 'we will bring you change' to turn to 'change begins with you' overnight?
Let me rest my fingers here. Try to find answers to the above questions and you will realise that the police checking through your phone should be the last unconstitutional thing on your mind.

Rant over
true talk
Re: Does The Police Have Any Constitutional Right To Go Through A Citizen`s Phone? by UchaNwababa: 12:55pm On Sep 22, 2016
If the Daura President could invite Bakassi Boys to be our security Force all these mess will stop Automatically.

Re: Does The Police Have Any Constitutional Right To Go Through A Citizen`s Phone? by Dandsome: 1:00pm On Sep 22, 2016
FellaL:

OP, how much will it go for? Looks like iPhone 7 would require me of blood money or high end scamming, which I don't have conscience for.

Oga, make we dey see na. I`ve not seen anywhere someone posted the fixed price. Its all speculations. Well, what i`m sure of is that it`ll be more pocket friendly than the iPhone 7 and Samsung . I`ll guess N85k-N100k
Re: Does The Police Have Any Constitutional Right To Go Through A Citizen`s Phone? by Royals1st: 1:01pm On Sep 22, 2016
@ opebi police saw a laptop in my car he asked me what am doing with laptop
And i replied when did laptop be come a contraban in 9ja the office just dey look me i drove off

1 Like

Re: Does The Police Have Any Constitutional Right To Go Through A Citizen`s Phone? by josite: 1:01pm On Sep 22, 2016
your phone is your property ,the same way ,your home is your property. a police man is entitled to search your car ,but just like he cannot barge into your bedroom without a search warrant ,a policeman cannot intrude into your privacy by searching through your phone unless you have first been arrested for an offense which necessarily compels the searching of your offence.

so unless he arrest you for a specified offence first,he is not entiltled to search your phone,so next time ,you contact your lawyer to bring such a policemen to book.
Re: Does The Police Have Any Constitutional Right To Go Through A Citizen`s Phone? by ABOOSAFIYYAH1(m): 1:02pm On Sep 22, 2016
The fundamental Rights of every citizen has been expressly spelt out in the constitution of the federal republic of Nigeria. (1999) as amended. Especially at chapter four of the extant constitution. No citizen shall be deprived of his/her right to privacy.

1 Like

Re: Does The Police Have Any Constitutional Right To Go Through A Citizen`s Phone? by NairaMaster1(m): 1:05pm On Sep 22, 2016
Ahmed0336:
Most Police officers are terrible, that uniform make em feel they can do and undo. Most of em knows nothing about human right and constitution.
Lemme drop a story.
A week back my friend was driving along Lafia road when a camry hit him from behind, he lost control then ran into two keke napep parked by the road side. Four persons lost their lives included a pregnant woman, luckily police officers were stationed at the scene of the accident. The camry driver ran off. my friend was hospitalized when policemen came and took him straight no short cuts to cell. The families of the deceased gave statements at the station that since it was no fault of his that the police should set him free. Likewise those officers stationed at the point of the incident also gave their statements saying my friend wasn't at fault.
As I am typing this that dude is still in cell. They said they ll grant him bail if we pay 150,000 and the person must have properties in lafia. Aswear if I say d matter no tire me I lie. D dude looks sick, 1 week now him never bath and if u see the cell honestly u no go pray to enter police trap

Re: Does The Police Have Any Constitutional Right To Go Through A Citizen`s Phone? by Bolade005: 1:10pm On Sep 22, 2016
Ahmed0336:
Lemme drop a story.
Get a lawyer for your friend. Good thing the families involved are even clamouring for the release of your friend.
Re: Does The Police Have Any Constitutional Right To Go Through A Citizen`s Phone? by SUPOL(m): 1:15pm On Sep 22, 2016
sybarite7:
NO THEY DON'T, ITS ILLEGAL AND EVEN THE IGP TERMED IT ILLEGAL... YOU HAVE A RIGHT TO CHALLENGE THEM ,BUT NAIJA NA NAIJA DEY WILL STILL COM UP WITH DIFFERENT STORIES JUST FOR YOU TO BAIL URSELF OUT
Who told u that?
If a police officer has any reason to suspect u of any crime. He has d reason to search ur pockets, bags, phones and other belongings. Say wat u know please

1 Like

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (Reply)

Dolapo Osinbajo, Husband & Children Celebrate Her 50th Birthday / Our President, Buhari, Has Been Away For 60 Days! / Governor Udom Emmanuel Stops His Convoy To Buy Pears From A Roadside Seller

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 58
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.