Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,154,521 members, 7,823,245 topics. Date: Friday, 10 May 2024 at 07:27 AM

Why Will Anyone In His/her Right Senses Want To Vacate Nigeria To Live In The Uk - Travel (2) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Travel / Why Will Anyone In His/her Right Senses Want To Vacate Nigeria To Live In The Uk (13713 Views)

Best City In Nigeria To Live In? / My Journey From Nigeria To Dubai With Pictures / 10 Most Affordable Cities To Live In (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Why Will Anyone In His/her Right Senses Want To Vacate Nigeria To Live In The Uk by yommyuk: 3:04am On Oct 15, 2009
I do understand where the poster is coming from in regards to people selling up and flying to the UK
I know a man who sold his 4X4 bedroom home and flew to the UK. What does he do in the UK - Cleaning. grin grin grin
The man is dey suffer no be small. He even brought in his family. Suffer Suffer come escalate.

I don mind people coming with a reasonable objective maybe to study, get a proffessional job to gain experience or maybe establish some business. Fairplay. but to sell up to come and do jack shit. Total nonsense

Secondly, In the long term, People should plan to go back home and contribute. Empower our/your people back home. A business of £20k in 9ija is enough to yield a good return capable of employing 10 people. Let me do the maths for u

(£20,000 x 1,000,000 uk residents x 250 naira exchg rate) = N5 Trillon Naira - enough to employ 100,000 unemployed nigerians.
I am contributing my own quota to my motherland. What r u doing?
eating ground rice and chicken at mama calabar, paying thru your nose to London electric, paying tax to keep roofs over lazy yobs who don't give a shit about you.

MAKE UNA DEY SIT DON THERE DEY ENJOY WINTER  grin grin grin
Na colonial mentality dey worry una. wake up shocked shocked shocked
Re: Why Will Anyone In His/her Right Senses Want To Vacate Nigeria To Live In The Uk by r231(m): 11:16am On Oct 15, 2009
yommyuk:

I do understand where the poster is coming from in regards to people selling up and flying to the UK
I know a man who sold his 4X4 bedroom home and flew to the UK. What does he do in the UK - Cleaning. grin grin grin
The man is dey suffer no be small. He even brought in his family. Suffer Suffer come escalate.

I don mind people coming with a reasonable objective maybe to study, get a proffessional job to gain experience or maybe establish some business. Fairplay. but to sell up to come and do jack shit. Total nonsense

Secondly, In the long term, People should plan to go back home and contribute. Empower our/your people back home. A business of £20k in 9ija is enough to yield a good return capable of employing 10 people. Let me do the maths for u

(£20,000 x 1,000,000 uk residents x 250 naira exchg rate) = N5 Trillon Naira - enough to employ 100,000 unemployed nigerians.
eating ground rice and chicken at mama calabar, paying thru your nose to London electric, paying tax to keep roofs over lazy yobs who don't give a shit about you.

MAKE UNA DEY SIT DON THERE DEY ENJOY WINTER  grin grin grin

its very easy for you to do the maths on paper but what about pple dat really have business in 9ja and employ pple and d pple still screw u over all d time (I am an example) you didn't think of dat did u.

Its not like we are talking about not going home at all. I go home at least 2-3 times a yr but if its not the right time to go and settle down there would I force maself.
Abeg u too wake up
Re: Why Will Anyone In His/her Right Senses Want To Vacate Nigeria To Live In The Uk by unix4real1(m): 12:16pm On Oct 15, 2009
yommyuk:

MAKE UNA DEY SIT DON THERE DEY ENJOY WINTER grin grin grin

Leave them make dem die there grin

@redsky1
I noticed you are just trying to make a point for yourself and thats not a bad idea but if its because of free NHS services that you are enjoying there that makes you think that average nigerian can`t afford a jeep, fuel their gen and live a normal life then i suggest you find your way home and get the fact right wink
Re: Why Will Anyone In His/her Right Senses Want To Vacate Nigeria To Live In The Uk by redsky1: 12:45pm On Oct 15, 2009
unix4real1:

Leave them make dem die there grin

@redsky1
I noticed you are just trying to make a point for yourself and that's not a bad idea but if its because of free NHS services that you are enjoying there that makes you think that average Nigerian can`t afford a jeep, fuel their gen and live a normal life then i suggest you find your way home and get the fact right wink

unix - for ur info i live here and Nigeria so i kind of know what I'm talking about - the life i live in Nigeria is not what the majority of the population can enjoy. in a population of approx 150 million - how many people can say they take annual holidays, how many people would be able to afford big hospital bills if they were seriously ill, how many people can comfortable put their kids thru a good school, how many people drive jeep and have a gen. justcos u happen to live in a posh area in Lagos or Abuja does not mean the majority of people in Nigeria are enjoying or else u wouldn't have hundreds of young men dying in the Sahara desert every year killing themselves to leave Nigeria.

how many young men and women in Nigeria have jobs - at least here u can get something to feed you. why do people fly their wives out of Nigeria to give birth - is it cos the hospitals in Nigeria are so much better. when i drive around Nigeria in my air conditioned car and driver i look out and feel like crying when i see how the "average" Nigerian lives.

is it healthy that rubbish is just dumped on the road for all and sundry to see and passer by to catch one kind illness - is it right i can turn the tap on in my house here and brush my teeth but have to use bottled water to brush in Nigeria,

not everyone does cleaning job in this London - as i have mentioned on this forum previously the people i know are qualified professionals who live comfortable lives. if the people u know do cleaning and still have housemates at this age then u need to find a new crew
Re: Why Will Anyone In His/her Right Senses Want To Vacate Nigeria To Live In The Uk by redsky1: 12:59pm On Oct 15, 2009
Re: Why Will Anyone In His/her Right Senses Want To Vacate Nigeria To Live In The Uk by viaro: 6:22pm On Oct 15, 2009
Babs T:

thts tru ma guy then i suggest u also come back home people in glass house dont trow stones

Hahaha!! grin
Re: Why Will Anyone In His/her Right Senses Want To Vacate Nigeria To Live In The Uk by SEFAGO(m): 6:44pm On Oct 15, 2009
UP NEPAAAAAAAAA welcome bck

Hahhahaha, should be placed in the list of classic quotes.
Re: Why Will Anyone In His/her Right Senses Want To Vacate Nigeria To Live In The Uk by canuck(m): 6:47pm On Oct 15, 2009
@ Poster, obviously you did not experience any of the following issues:

1) Gunshot wounds from trigger happy Olopa
2) If you survive that one - Gunshot/machete wound from dare-devil robbers (Call 911? See #1 above)
3) Serious beating from Navy Ratings or Army 'korofo' for obstructing their oga's way
4) Seven or more days of hanging out with hardened kidnappers
5) If na ritual kidnapping; na bye-bye be dat
6) Watching helplessly as your nation's resources are pilfered, wasted and mismanaged at the same time
7) PHCN decimates your livelihood and leisure

O'lboy, the list goes on. Breezing through for 90 days and spending unending days in Naija are night and day.

Step 1 - Lift up hand. Step 2 - With all the strength you can muster, slap yourself. Step 3 - Now, you've woken up  cheesy Despite the struggles, Up Nigeria!!!
Re: Why Will Anyone In His/her Right Senses Want To Vacate Nigeria To Live In The Uk by Nobody: 6:50pm On Oct 15, 2009
The reason is not far-fetched"in search of greener pastures".But the issue is this travelling out is not as interesting in this era of recession because most of the dirty jobs that foreigners do abroad now are being overtaken by the britikos, anyhow,those intending to go think they pick money on the street there,so in order to survive,you certainly most do crime cuz your b.sc aint mean much to the akatas.
Re: Why Will Anyone In His/her Right Senses Want To Vacate Nigeria To Live In The Uk by IgboGirl(f): 6:58pm On Oct 15, 2009
same reason Nigerians live in Iceland, Iraq, Parkistan, Germany, India, Ghana (sad but true) etc

in case you don't know anywhere is better than Nigeria. Nigeria is a joke!
Re: Why Will Anyone In His/her Right Senses Want To Vacate Nigeria To Live In The Uk by canuck(m): 7:10pm On Oct 15, 2009
IgboGirl:

same reason Nigerians live in Iceland, Iraq, Parkistan, Germany, India, Ghana (sad but true) etc

I throway salute for peeps in Iceland o. . . One may go for a year or two without running into another black person o.
Re: Why Will Anyone In His/her Right Senses Want To Vacate Nigeria To Live In The Uk by 2Legit2Qui: 7:17pm On Oct 15, 2009
canuck:

2) If you survive that one - Gunshot/machete wound from dare-devil robbers (Call 911? See #1 above)
3) Serious beating from Navy Ratings or Army 'korofo' for obstructing their oga's way
6) Watching helplessly as your nation's resources are pilfered, wasted and mismanaged at the same time

O'lboy, the list goes on. Breezing through for 90 days and spending unending days in Naija are night and day.

Step 1 - Lift up hand. Step 2 - With all the strength you can muster, slap yourself. Step 3 - Now, you've woken up  cheesy  Despite the struggles, Up Nigeria!!!

The last time I checked, worse things like the ones you have quoted happens in the UK.
Re: Why Will Anyone In His/her Right Senses Want To Vacate Nigeria To Live In The Uk by cudos: 7:24pm On Oct 15, 2009
time will tell, if u like live in Brown house make use of ur time,bcourse, in ur old age, we will know where is better.
Re: Why Will Anyone In His/her Right Senses Want To Vacate Nigeria To Live In The Uk by sandee575(f): 7:29pm On Oct 15, 2009
@poster,
i believe its all a matter of preference just like you wonder when you see teenage soldiers getting killed
in battle and you ask what attracts them to the army to get their lives cut so short. Its also about choices
when options dont leave much room for manouvre. I travel frequently and shudder at the plight of some
Nigerians abroad but some are doing just fine. If you ask me, im a home boy with a steel will to live in my
natural habitat no matter what the conditions may be. Home Sweet Home.
Re: Why Will Anyone In His/her Right Senses Want To Vacate Nigeria To Live In The Uk by cvibe: 7:31pm On Oct 15, 2009
@ Poster,

The grass is very green on the other side if you go there legally.
Re: Why Will Anyone In His/her Right Senses Want To Vacate Nigeria To Live In The Uk by gamechange(m): 7:33pm On Oct 15, 2009
@2legit

The issue is that the probability of it happening to you in Nija is unbelievably much higher, and on top of that, what are your chances of getting justice in Nija.
Re: Why Will Anyone In His/her Right Senses Want To Vacate Nigeria To Live In The Uk by cudos: 7:40pm On Oct 15, 2009
good for u, but for me, i only spend three months every year out side niger, from now till jan, i am here in coal city life.
Re: Why Will Anyone In His/her Right Senses Want To Vacate Nigeria To Live In The Uk by diasporian: 7:42pm On Oct 15, 2009
This is shocking- i mean the responses - this is why Nigeria will not progress, it is not a matter of curse.

A medical doctor who has a job, a banker who has a job, an engineer who hase a job and making a living, sudddenly wakes up one morning and says he wants to go and live abroad, he quits hi job, gets a VISITOR visa of 6 months to go abroad, and sells all he has, saying that he will go and make it abroad, he beleives with his 6 months visa, he can work and make it in UK, with a visitor visa, you are not even allowed to work.

This is what the poster is talking about, and someone says there is nothing wrong in that? He should sell all he has to go live abroad because:

NEPA IS BAD

THE ROAD TO HIS HOUSE IS BAD

THERE IS NO WATER

Some even say because they eat chicken and chips abroad, then it is ok for this man who had a professional job to leave and sell off all he has just because he wants to be able to eat chicken and chips?

If these generation were our forefathers, nothing and noone will be left in Nigeria, they would have revisited slave trade all over again for an opportunity of eating burger and stuff over in the white man's country.
Re: Why Will Anyone In His/her Right Senses Want To Vacate Nigeria To Live In The Uk by Hauwa1: 7:48pm On Oct 15, 2009
grin grin grin grin grin grin grin grin grin grin grin grin

diasporian:

This is shocking- i mean the responses - this is why Nigeria will not progress, it is not a matter of curse.

A medical doctor who has a job, a banker who has a job, an engineer who hase a job and making a living, sudddenly wakes up one morning and says he wants to go and live abroad, he quits hi job, gets a VISITOR visa of 6 months to go abroad, and sells all he has, saying that he will go and make it abroad, he beleives with his 6 months visa, he can work and make it in UK, with a visitor visa, you are not even allowed to work.

This is what the poster is talking about, and someone says there is nothing wrong in that? He should sell all he has to go live abroad because:

NEPA IS BAD

THERE IS NO WATER

Some even say because they eat chicken and chips abroad, then it is ok for this man who had a professional job to leave and sell off all he has just because he wants to be able to eat chicken and chips?

If these generation were our forefathers, nothing and noone will be left in Nigeria, they would have revisited slave trade all over again for an opportunity of eating burger and stuff over in the white man's country.
Re: Why Will Anyone In His/her Right Senses Want To Vacate Nigeria To Live In The Uk by redsky1: 7:51pm On Oct 15, 2009
2Legit2Qui:

The last time I checked, worse things like the ones you have quoted happens in the UK.

thats if u live in peckham and those type of areas - as for me i moved out of london and bought a house in a nice safe quiet area, i've even forgotton to lock my car and front door and nothing happened to me or the car - now try that in certain parts of london - not only will u be robbed they will even take u to petrol station to buy the petrol to put on the car they are about to steal
Re: Why Will Anyone In His/her Right Senses Want To Vacate Nigeria To Live In The Uk by cudos: 7:54pm On Oct 15, 2009
Thanks u,
in uk, spain, Ger,call any place u know, u will sufer times ten what u sufer i nigeria to make a living.
but the problem is that, while in nigeria we think every things are the way we see it in tv.
who no go, no no.
Re: Why Will Anyone In His/her Right Senses Want To Vacate Nigeria To Live In The Uk by unix4real1(m): 8:07pm On Oct 15, 2009
cudos:

time will tell, if u like live in Brown house make use of your time,bcourse, in your old age, we will know where is better.
grin grin grin

diasporian:

NEPA IS BAD

THERE IS NO WATER

Thats my point exactly cool
Re: Why Will Anyone In His/her Right Senses Want To Vacate Nigeria To Live In The Uk by Outstrip(f): 8:11pm On Oct 15, 2009
I understand or should I say understood where the original poster is coming from.
Re: Why Will Anyone In His/her Right Senses Want To Vacate Nigeria To Live In The Uk by Tstark(m): 8:15pm On Oct 15, 2009
, and why do all these knuckle head Nigerians living in London feel the need to defend the place? Bottom line is that it's not your country so why are you attacking the poster for stating his honest opinion? The UK isn't paradise and its different strokes for different folks, so if he feels that way then so be it.If you are a Nigerian living in London i don't think you should take it upon yourself to defend the place with a vengeance cos at the end of the day you're STILL Nigerian, like it or not!
Re: Why Will Anyone In His/her Right Senses Want To Vacate Nigeria To Live In The Uk by yme1(f): 8:20pm On Oct 15, 2009
Rofl@post cheesy cheesy
Re: Why Will Anyone In His/her Right Senses Want To Vacate Nigeria To Live In The Uk by Beetle: 8:37pm On Oct 15, 2009
Pple never seem to amaze, I've lived in UK for 13 years and if the opportunity arises, i'll take my bag and go to naija forever. NHS and education is not free like some of you think, it's our taxes and to the fellow who said you live your car unlocked. Good luck to you, i lived in London for a very long time and was never robbed, moved out and guess what we were robbed. It doesn't matter where you live, if it's going to happen it will.

I didn't know pple were moving over here because of chicken and chips, bad roads and NEPA. Fair enough NEPA but none of the other reasons make any sense. I'm out and I agree with the poster. A lot of pple think living in Uk is the be all and end all.  I'm sorry it isn't. pls don't let's fool ourselves it isn't. A black PM? Never maybe in the next generation and most blacks are rated as second class citizens anyway. If you feel different, speak out but only want opinions from anyone working pls.

If Nigeria had good leaders maybe we wouldn't all need to come over her. My two pence.
Re: Why Will Anyone In His/her Right Senses Want To Vacate Nigeria To Live In The Uk by IgboGirl(f): 8:37pm On Oct 15, 2009
cos at the end of the day you're STILL Nigerian, like it or not!

that can be changed.
Re: Why Will Anyone In His/her Right Senses Want To Vacate Nigeria To Live In The Uk by asha80(m): 8:45pm On Oct 15, 2009
All what most nigerians want is the availabilily of basic necessities of life which likely to be found in uk and also other western countries hence the reason why they want to remain there.
Re: Why Will Anyone In His/her Right Senses Want To Vacate Nigeria To Live In The Uk by yommyuk: 8:46pm On Oct 15, 2009
Its not like we are talking about not going home at all. I go home at least 2-3 times a yr but if its not the right time to go and settle down there would I force maself.
Abeg u too wake up

your going home 2-3 times a yr is to do what - To create wealth or to consume wealth.
If your answer is the latter. Then my brother, I feel for u.

The issue is that the probability of it happening to you in Nija is unbelievably much higher, and on top of that, what are your chances of getting justice in Nija.

Justice my arse
Go and ask steven lawrence who got killed by the whites in the 90s

in case you don't know anywhere is better than Nigeria. Nigeria is a joke
But thank God - Nigeria is better than Biafra
Re: Why Will Anyone In His/her Right Senses Want To Vacate Nigeria To Live In The Uk by redsky1: 8:49pm On Oct 15, 2009
Beetle:

Pple never seem to amaze, I've lived in UK for 13 years and if the opportunity arises, i'll take my bag and go to naija forever. NHS and education is not free like some of you think, it's our taxes and to the fellow who said you live your car unlocked. Good luck to you, i lived in London for a very long time and was never robbed, moved out and guess what we were robbed. It doesn't matter where you live, if it's going to happen it will.

I didn't know pple were moving over here because of chicken and chips, bad roads and NEPA. Fair enough NEPA but none of the other reasons make any sense. I'm out and I agree with the poster. A lot of pple think living in Uk is the be all and end all.  I'm sorry it isn't. pls don't let's fool ourselves it isn't. A black PM? Never maybe in the next generation and most blacks are rated as second class citizens anyway. If you feel different, speak out but only want opinions from anyone working pls.

If Nigeria had good leaders maybe we wouldn't all need to come over her. My two pence.

what about the generation of children who have lived here all their life - don't u think they will find it hard in nigeria - i remember when my little sister was 4 and visited nigeria - bless her the first night NEPA took light she screamed and was crying all night - for one week she refused to be alone anywhere. what we had to do was put the gen on b4 it turned dark to ensure it didn't hapen again - some of u will say that is naija but come on there are children that don't know what a power blackout is why must they be exposed to such - the uk is not heaven but please remember the generation of nigerians with dual nationality who find it a bit hard to understand the lack of infastructure

no one said NHS and education is free - we pay tax. if they system was good in nigeria we would have something like that as well. is it right that people die of things they shouldn't.
Re: Why Will Anyone In His/her Right Senses Want To Vacate Nigeria To Live In The Uk by bricks(m): 8:50pm On Oct 15, 2009
canuck:

Step 1 - Lift up hand. Step 2 - With all the strength you can muster, slap yourself. Step 3 - Now, you've woken up  cheesy Despite the struggles, Up Nigeria!!!

bulls eye!, I couldn't have said it better.

the poster and anyone living in the uk(even in IRAQ cos i sure say naija man go dey there) grin that supports the poster's position need to have their heads checked cos they are not making one atom of sense.

@Mr poster-uk is lonely,boring,no job yet u came to naija for 3 mnths and went back to post this gabbage angry angry.

nigger get the Bleep out!!!!if one opens a dictionary and look up the word hypocrite,gues who's face will pop up?, YOURS!

am not saying any more on this daft thread! angrybricks hisses adn slams the door.
Re: Why Will Anyone In His/her Right Senses Want To Vacate Nigeria To Live In The Uk by cold(m): 8:57pm On Oct 15, 2009
bricks:

bulls eye!, I couldn't have said it better.

the poster and anyone living in the uk(even in IRAQ cos i sure say naija man go dey there) grin that supports the poster's position need to have their heads checked cos they are not making one atom of sense.

@Mr poster-uk is lonely,boring,no job yet u came to naija for 3 mnths and went back to post this gabbage angry angry.

nigger get the Bleep out!!!!if one opens a dictionary and look up the word hypocrite,gues who's face will pop up?, YOURS!

am not saying any more on this daft thread! angrybricks hisses adn slams the door.

My thoughts exactly.I'v been reading thru for like half an hr & was wondering why anybody even chose to dignify the numskull wlth a response.U spent 11 yrs,went back for three mths (probably ur first time in 11 yrs) & ran back to the UK.Man! u must hav meat for brains,u need to grow a brain asap.

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (Reply)

How Much It Cost To Charter A Private Jet / Tanker Drivers Cause Traffic Gridlock In Lagos This Morning (Photos) / A Nigerian, Adebayo Ogunlesi,  has Acquired The London Gatwick Airport

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 98
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.