Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,150,624 members, 7,809,295 topics. Date: Friday, 26 April 2024 at 07:25 AM

How To Jump Start A Car - Car Talk (2) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Car Talk / How To Jump Start A Car (11162 Views)

13 Steps To Jump Start A Car / Two Men Jump Start A Car With Ak-47s / How To Jump Start A Car (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: How To Jump Start A Car by Nobody: 7:31am On Sep 28, 2016
Earth returning system in automobile electricity. Nice tips
Re: How To Jump Start A Car by Okaakoko(m): 7:32am On Sep 28, 2016
Allwility:

Yup, that's correct. -ve to -ve will fry the car.
what is the highest current safe for a car?
Re: How To Jump Start A Car by Coldfeets: 7:39am On Sep 28, 2016
Allwility:

I think it helps ground the connection... not too sure though.

Nice one.

I thought as much.
Re: How To Jump Start A Car by kayzat: 7:43am On Sep 28, 2016
Allwility:

That is not true Sir. Nothing will happen to your car if ur connect it to the negative side of your battery . it's something I have been doing for more than 10years and it always work when the two heads are connected to the battery without any issue.

And if after doing jump start to start you vehicle and after driving it around for some times the vehicle can't still start on its own then it is likely due to the faulty alternator or the battery.
Re: How To Jump Start A Car by Allwility: 7:45am On Sep 28, 2016
miketayo:

That is not true, I have done that more than 20 times without frying my car
That you didn't fry your car on those attempts were all near misses if you know what I mean. Acid batteries produce hydrogen when charged. If you do -ve to -ve connection there are chances of producing a spark which might ignite the hydrogen and explode the battery. The resultant effect might be acid being poured on you or your car's microprocessors being fried.
Re: How To Jump Start A Car by obailala(m): 8:12am On Sep 28, 2016
KORLAR:
Why should the black clip be on an unpainted metal and not the negative terminal?
Areaboy2:
I spent an hour connecting the negative terminal from battery to battery until I read the user manual. Changed it to an unpainted section and it worked.. you won't believe how a tiny detail like this can frustrate your day..

Good info mate...
Truth is that, it doesn't matter if you connect to the negative terminal or the car body, both will definitely work. There must have been another reason why it didnt work when you connected to the negative terminals, probably there was poor contact. Connecting to the car body instead of the -ve terminal is just a safety precaution because of sparks (and some other risks).
Re: How To Jump Start A Car by miketayo(m): 8:22am On Sep 28, 2016
Allwility:

That you didn't fry your car on those attempts were all near misses if you know what I mean. Acid batteries produce hydrogen when charged. If you do -ve to -ve connection there are chances of producing a spark which might ignite the hydrogen and explode the battery. The resultant effect might be acid being poured on you or your car's microprocessors being fried.

if the positive terminal is connected to the body of the car wat is d point connecting to a metal when d car itself is metallic
Re: How To Jump Start A Car by presentley: 8:31am On Sep 28, 2016
miketayo:

-ve to -ve works fine for me
honestly, dunno what they are talking about. I have been jump starting using -ve to -ve all this years with no ish, even my rewire, batter charger jump start using same method. The only time I had to use the unpainted alternative was when I couldn't get a wire to connect the negative so I just used a metal to connect the -ve head of the other batter to an unpainted surface on the car.
Re: How To Jump Start A Car by MistadeRegal(m): 8:36am On Sep 28, 2016
siraj1402:
Honestly I love this technology. No need to ask people "help me to push"just ask their permission to use their battery.

If you ask me for this kinda help, I'll think twice because the logic is that you're actually using my battery to recharge yours.
Re: How To Jump Start A Car by Allwility: 8:44am On Sep 28, 2016
miketayo:

if the positive terminal is connected to the body of the car wat is d point connecting to a metal when d car itself is metallic
No sir, pls don't get it mixed up. It's the negative terminal that's connected to the body of the car.
Re: How To Jump Start A Car by esan1(m): 8:53am On Sep 28, 2016
Nice info
Re: How To Jump Start A Car by wellmax(m): 8:56am On Sep 28, 2016
siraj1402:
Honestly I love this technology. No need to ask people "help me to push"just ask their permission to use their battery.
. Its not a technology and you cannot push start an automatic car.
Re: How To Jump Start A Car by whytnblack: 9:06am On Sep 28, 2016
What of the cable you attached to the metal? You are meant to return it to the negative terminal of your car to charge nah.
Re: How To Jump Start A Car by cybriz82(m): 9:19am On Sep 28, 2016
flag me to stop n help u witj my ba3 if i no go kidnap u n ur battery kidnap ur motor join......
Re: How To Jump Start A Car by okikiosibodu(m): 10:38am On Sep 28, 2016
OP, I am just curious. What will happen if the negative nodes are also connected to each other?
Re: How To Jump Start A Car by miketayo(m): 11:27am On Sep 28, 2016
Allwility:

No sir, pls don't get it mixed up. It's the negative terminal that's connected to the body of the car.

sorry, dont mind me.. i meant negative

1 Like

Re: How To Jump Start A Car by miketayo(m): 11:28am On Sep 28, 2016
presentley:
honestly, dunno what they are talking about. I have been jump starting using -ve to -ve all this years with no ish, even my rewire, batter charger jump start using same method. The only time I had to use the unpainted alternative was when I couldn't get a wire to connect the negative so I just used a metal to connect the -ve head of the other batter to an unpainted surface on the car.

i just tire ooo cheesy
Re: How To Jump Start A Car by esimple4u: 11:41am On Sep 28, 2016
lapazi:
If your battery has died, you may be able to use jumper cables to jump start it from some good Samaritan’s vehicle. If you can safely use jumper cables on your vehicle, make sure that the battery on the good Samaritan’s vehicle has at least as much voltage as your own. As long as you hook up the cables properly, it doesn’t matter whether your vehicle has negative ground and the GS’s vehicle has positive ground, or your vehicle has an alternator and the GS’s vehicle has a generator.

To safely jump a start, follow these steps:

1. Take out your jumper cables.
It’s a good idea to buy a set of jumper cables and keep them in the trunk compartment. If you don’t have jumper cables, you have to find a good Samaritan who not only is willing to assist you but who has jumper cables as well.

2. Place both vehicles in Park or Neutral and shut off the ignition in both cars.
Engage both parking brakes as well.

3. Attach one of the red clips to the positive terminal of your battery.
It has “POS” or “+” on it, or it’s bigger than the negative terminal.

4. Attach the other red clip to the positive terminal of the other car.

5. Attach one of the black clips to the negative terminal on the other battery.

6. Attach the last black clip to an unpainted metal surface on your car that isn’t near the battery.
Use one of the metal struts that holds the hood open.

7. Start the working vehicle and let the engine run for a few minutes.

8. Try to start your vehicle.
If it won’t start, make sure that the cables are properly connected and have the good Samaritan run his or her engine for five minutes. Then try to start your car again. If it still won’t start, your battery may be beyond help.

If the jump works and your car starts, don’t shut off your engine! Drive around for at least 15 minutes to recharge your battery. If the car won’t start the next time you use it, the battery isn’t holding a charge and needs to be replaced.

http://www.dummies.com/home-garden/car-repair/how-to-jump-start-a-car/
nice info bro.. Pls my question is... Should I leave the connection wire that runs from my battery to my car or should I disconnect it while performing this operation... Thanks
Re: How To Jump Start A Car by ZIMDRILL(m): 12:56pm On Sep 28, 2016
KORLAR:
Why should the black clip be on an unpainted metal and not the negative terminal?

the whole metal body of a car is earth aka negative (-)

if the any metal is painted you then loose the negative since the paint itself became an insulation

so you go for the unpainted but mostly the engine its self
Re: How To Jump Start A Car by ZIMDRILL(m): 1:07pm On Sep 28, 2016
Allwility:

i think you are being confused

when jump starting or even charging a battery the connection is always positive to positive and negative to negative

then you are jumping from a standalone battery that battery will only discharge 12volts

then if you are jump starting from an running or whether idling or being raved you will only get the regulated current from the running car roughly 14volts which then gets reduce when current get to the dead battery as the dead battery would suck up some volts most likely 2 volts there the remaining 12 volts starts up the car

so tell us when you jump start a car you put positive to negative and then negative to positive no wonder you fry the ECU
Re: How To Jump Start A Car by ZIMDRILL(m): 1:10pm On Sep 28, 2016
esimple4u:
nice info bro.. Pls my question is... Should I leave the connection wire that runs from my battery to my car or should I disconnect it while performing this operation... Thanks

the terminals on your battery to you car remain connected
Re: How To Jump Start A Car by Allwility: 2:03pm On Sep 28, 2016
ZIMDRILL:

i think you are being confused

when jump starting or even charging a battery the connection is always positive to positive and negative to negative

then you are jumping from a standalone battery that battery will only discharge 12volts

then if you are jump starting from an running or whether idling or being raved you will only get the regulated current from the running car roughly 14volts which then gets reduce when current get to the dead battery as the dead battery would suck up some volts most likely 2 volts there the remaining 12 volts starts up the car

so tell us when you jump start a car you put positive to negative and then negative to positive no wonder you fry the ECU

Lol, am I confused on this? Not at all. I never said you should cross wires like +ve to -ve...You can go through my posts fa.

What we are discussing is why you must not connect the negative terminal of the good battery to the negative terminal of the dead battery. If there's a spark, it can lead to explosion of the battery.
Re: How To Jump Start A Car by Saicology212: 4:44pm On Sep 28, 2016
kingreign:

no worry, e go be like filmtrick wen e happen grin
by the way, many naija guys are stingy, self-centred, unwilling to help and will cuss u or lie that their car has no petrol or jump starting a car will damage their battery or Brainbox!

I swear. Not stingy, but wicked. Een when I do freely give out mine, to the chagrin of friends and passers-by. But, not all Nigerians are like those described. I no lie there are some who are just angels......
Re: How To Jump Start A Car by ZIMDRILL(m): 7:12pm On Sep 28, 2016
Allwility:

Lol, am I confused on this? Not at all. I never said you should cross wires like +ve to -ve...You can go through my posts fa.

What we are discussing is why you must not connect the negative terminal of the good battery to the negative terminal of the dead battery. If there's a spark, it can lead to explosion of the battery.

a spark is always there whether you connect correctly or the wrong way but there is a difference in the loudness and spark size

negative of a good battery to negative of dead battery never explode unless if there something wrong with the dead battery especially in africa we dont want to replace things straight away we fiddle with dead thing until it either kills us or finally surrender that the part is dead

the reason we use the metal body is very simple, the body has a better earth contacts than the battery terminal and also your negative cable might be short to reach the battery terminals so you can attacth it to the manifold engine hooks etc

a normal dead battery would not explode if a negative from a good battery is connected to it
Re: How To Jump Start A Car by Allwility: 7:20pm On Sep 28, 2016
Double Post
Re: How To Jump Start A Car by Allwility: 7:28pm On Sep 28, 2016
ZIMDRILL:

a spark is always there whether you connect correctly or the wrong way but there is a difference in the loudness and spark size

negative of a good battery to negative of dead battery never explode unless if there something wrong with the dead battery especially in africa we dont want to replace things straight away we fiddle with dead thing until it either kills us or finally surrender that the part is dead

the reason we use the metal body is very simple, the body has a better earth contacts than the battery terminal and also your negative cable might be short to reach the battery terminals so you can attacth it to the manifold engine hooks etc

a normal dead battery would not explode if a negative from a good battery is connected to it

Lol, I believe the OP must have jump started his vehicle and prolly viewing this thread from one cool joint. Come make we go one cool spot go take pepper soup and orijin. grin grin

I raised this topic during lunch hour at work today...o boy see debate. Engineering guys bringing out automotive textbooks to confirm and all that but the safety guys were having none of it. Chief engineer said he's always connected negative terminal to negative terminal and it works for him although he could remember just one time he jumped a battery and it exploded. We asked if an incident investigation was done to determine what caused the battery exploding, he said no.

I smiled and walked away.

1 Like

Re: How To Jump Start A Car by bee4bee: 9:23pm On Sep 29, 2016
With power bank car battery jumper,you start your car without jump cable.
Re: How To Jump Start A Car by bee4bee: 9:27pm On Sep 29, 2016
Power bank car battery jumper to start your car it can also be use to charge iPad,phone,tablet and mp3 .

Re: How To Jump Start A Car by bee4bee: 9:33pm On Sep 29, 2016
Incase your battery drain,use the power bank battery jumper to start your car.no stress at all.
Re: How To Jump Start A Car by nwolisar: 10:05pm On Sep 30, 2016
Allwility:

Negative to Negative wont fry the car, the negative of the battery in the car is grounded already... So its easier to connect the working battery -ve terminal to unpainted part is for safety, not to make any mistake of polarity mixing which is bad. and it's thesame as connect the-ve terminals together too.

(1) (2) (Reply)

What's The Best Oil For My 2010 Lexus Rx 350? / Frsc Faults Lagos Policy On Number Plate / Rescue Dogs Taught How To Drive A Car In New Zealand

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 51
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.