Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,155,897 members, 7,828,160 topics. Date: Wednesday, 15 May 2024 at 03:59 AM

Is It Proper For My Younger Brother To Be Washing Plates For My Wife? - Family (2) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Family / Is It Proper For My Younger Brother To Be Washing Plates For My Wife? (12672 Views)

My Younger Brother Is Addicted To Sports Betting, Please Help!!! / Is It Proper/Healthy For A Man To Suck His Wife's Bosom Milk? / My Younger Brother Wants To Marry At 24 (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Is It Proper For My Younger Brother To Be Washing Plates For My Wife? by sunnydayasaba(m): 3:19pm On Oct 02, 2016
Some women can really be funny, so he expect his husband younger brother to wash plate after fetching water and doing all other chores.

Bros, you shouldn't even entertain such complain from ur wife, your brother is just a visitor and your not even in position to mark out certain chores for him. He's a grown man for Christ sake, Washing plates for your wife is a NO NO and you shouldn't even allow that even if he volunteer to do it. Most men generally hate washing plates. Pls bros, dnt allow ur wife capitalize on the fact that he's staying with ur family to abuse him ego pls.

Just make it clear to ur wife, Anything from her kitchen should be taken care off by her and her children including the washing of plates.

Some women can really be annoying. She want her husband brother to start washing plates too. Na waoo, let her bring her graduate brother too to come and live with her and start washing plates.

2 Likes

Re: Is It Proper For My Younger Brother To Be Washing Plates For My Wife? by tsmith(f): 4:16pm On Oct 02, 2016
Reverse the question and you'd have your answer.

Is it proper for your brother to eat food cooked by your wife? Whatever is your answer, is the answer to your original question.

Courtesy demands that even when you visit friends and they've hosted and cooked for you, you offer to do the dishes. This can sometimes be forgiven if you take a gift or a bottle of wine along. I bet this same brother doesn't drop a coin or buy anything into the house, and i bet your wife is not only responsible for the actual cooking of meal but probably for the shopping and maybe even the cost.

My father taught me from an early age if you're going to visit or live with someone; the least you can be is a welcomed nuisance!

8 Likes

Re: Is It Proper For My Younger Brother To Be Washing Plates For My Wife? by Nobody: 4:51pm On Oct 02, 2016
Diddyydiva:
for peace to reign, tell your younger brother to wash his plates after eating.

You cant take sides in this situation so you have this option alone smiley

Evegran smiley

My sister, long time. Hope you're good? smiley
Re: Is It Proper For My Younger Brother To Be Washing Plates For My Wife? by bkool7(m): 4:55pm On Oct 02, 2016
bodmas119:
my younger brother is leaving with us but my wife used to complaint to me he doesn't wash plates, pls how should I handle the matter peacefully coz am confused.

Very proper
Especially if ur wife is older than him.
What if she were his sister,wont he wash her cloths too?
You just have to seat ur brother down and lecture on responsibilities that comes wit tru maturity. Map out things he should assist ur wife wit and tell him to make he does it before being told to.
This happened to me years back while a was living with my brother. I complained to my dad but he told me to endure , be humble and diligent,its only for a while . My brother also told me to do it wit love ,after all she goes to the market and cooks for the three of us.
I tell you , those action made me over come arrogance and made up to always do that humbling things everyone avoids.

That my brother's daughter now lives wit my, she cooks , does the dish and even washes. I did same for her dad ,so she cant complain

9 Likes

Re: Is It Proper For My Younger Brother To Be Washing Plates For My Wife? by bladeAnders(m): 5:02pm On Oct 02, 2016
Ifakiland:
How can ur wife be washing plates for ur younger broda Are u an idiot
Ure now a married man, act like one, if ur bro is gonna be living with u, he shuld get down and do d washing....or go find himself anoda apartment.
For u to be asking dis question sef...I pity ur wife already.
Mr man are u alright, can't u think before u type? it all depends on the circumstances surrounding the house....
Re: Is It Proper For My Younger Brother To Be Washing Plates For My Wife? by ajademola2000(m): 5:03pm On Oct 02, 2016
What is wrong with all these girls sef, you can even tell him to help you sweep the house. Arrant nonsense.

If my elder brother tries such with me. I will also make him wash the plate whenever he comes visiting me. It is tit for tat.
Re: Is It Proper For My Younger Brother To Be Washing Plates For My Wife? by mamachizzy(f): 5:06pm On Oct 02, 2016
Me personally will never let a man enter my kitchen and wash plates. be it my husband, brother or even brother in law. I think there are other more manly chores around the house that he can help ur wife with. like fetching water or cleaning the house. But if washing of plates will constitute a problem in ur house, then let ur brother was his plate immediately he is done eating

3 Likes

Re: Is It Proper For My Younger Brother To Be Washing Plates For My Wife? by bladeAnders(m): 5:09pm On Oct 02, 2016
Mr man u didn't tell us ur brother's age, u
u didn't tell us how busy or the kind of work ur wife does for a living
u didn't tell us what ur brother does for a living.....u capitalise on plate washing...
Re: Is It Proper For My Younger Brother To Be Washing Plates For My Wife? by bladeAnders(m): 5:12pm On Oct 02, 2016
mamachizzy:
Me personally will never let a man enter my kitchen and wash plates. be it my husband, brother or even brother in law. I think there are other more manly chores around the house that he can help ur wife with. like fetching water or cleaning the house. But if washing of plates will constitute a problem in ur house, then let ur brother was his plate immediately he is done eating
I love ur choice of words....no big deal fetching water, washing cars etc
Re: Is It Proper For My Younger Brother To Be Washing Plates For My Wife? by Nobody: 5:22pm On Oct 02, 2016
evegran:

My sister, long time. Hope you're good? smiley
Am good ooooo ,you?

Have you seen my face now ? wink
Re: Is It Proper For My Younger Brother To Be Washing Plates For My Wife? by Nobody: 5:25pm On Oct 02, 2016
tsmith:
Reverse the question and you'd have your answer.

Is it proper for your brother to eat food cooked by your wife? Whatever is your answer, is the answer to your original question.

Courtesy demands that even when you visit friends and they've hosted and cooked for you, you offer to do the dishes.

So if your dad or your father-in-law comes visiting and you cooked for them, courtesy demands that your dad or your father-in-law should offer to do the dishes? After all, going by your analogy, you hosted him and you also prepared the meal.

Where is Lalasticlala and Dominique sef?

3 Likes

Re: Is It Proper For My Younger Brother To Be Washing Plates For My Wife? by ufedob(f): 6:05pm On Oct 02, 2016
My own view,I stand to be corrected.don't you think there are other chores he can help her do rather than washing the dishes,washing the dishes for her isn't bad but its sounds weird,since he Is a matured man.
Re: Is It Proper For My Younger Brother To Be Washing Plates For My Wife? by abayomi93(m): 6:06pm On Oct 02, 2016
Ifakiland:
How can ur wife be washing plates for ur younger broda Are u an idiot
Ure now a married man, act like one, if ur bro is gonna be living with u, he shuld get down and do d washing....or go find himself anoda apartment.
For u to be asking dis question sef...I pity ur wife already.
oga,it is people like you that create problem in d family.u dnt knw women.once d boy starts washing plates,woman will want to turn him to house boy. And if u ask d boy to go bcus of your wife no prob. He will go and one day he will become a man.nd u myt need his help someday.that's d time u will feel d repercuation of what u have done.if u wnt d boy to assist ur wife,just tell him to do some works urself.dnt give ur wife d authority to order him around.
Re: Is It Proper For My Younger Brother To Be Washing Plates For My Wife? by abayomi93(m): 6:14pm On Oct 02, 2016
chigoizie7:
If u have kids who can wash plates, let ur kids do the washing, but if u don't ,that means ur marriage is still very young. So ur wife should do the washing, that is if ur brother is already an adult, say above 19 or so,

What is wrong with women sef? Common plate, they are complaining, she should know that men are not domestic in nature. I am not saying that he can't wash it, but making a big deal out of it is what I don't understand.

Did u just say graduated from the university? And also fetch water and help in other chores? And u are keeping mute at ur wives rants? Brother I pity u, na to also demand that ur brother washes una clothes remain oh.

Some women no get sense at all, how long does she think a graduate will continue putting up with a brother? Forever?

If na me be ur brother, the kind treatment I go give her, she will choose devil in place of having me under same roof, what nonsense.
bro I greet u jarey.u knw d game. The Op does not knw women yet.she has an agenda to turn d boy into their house boy.if d op allows d wife to confuse him,and he ends up messing up with his bro,he wud live to regret it.because that boy can become somethn in d future nd d op myt need his help,or even d op's kids in d future.that tym he wud remind him of hw he trashd him because of his wife.
Re: Is It Proper For My Younger Brother To Be Washing Plates For My Wife? by MRNICEGUYy(m): 6:14pm On Oct 02, 2016
why on earth wud u be asking a full grown man to wash plates for the family? If my wife comes to report such cases to me i will blind her with slap,
i don't joke with my family.
Why is she a wife?
Why did marry her?
If she can't work she should just park for all i care.

2 Likes

Re: Is It Proper For My Younger Brother To Be Washing Plates For My Wife? by LorDBolton(m): 6:22pm On Oct 02, 2016
chigoizie7:
If u have kids who can wash plates, let ur kids do the washing, but if u don't ,that means ur marriage is still very young. So ur wife should do the washing, that is if ur brother is already an adult, say above 19 or so,

What is wrong with women sef? Common plate, they are complaining, she should know that men are not domestic in nature. I am not saying that he can't wash it, but making a big deal out of it is what I don't understand.

Did u just say graduated from the university? And also fetch water and help in other chores? And u are keeping mute at ur wives rants? Brother I pity u, na to also demand that ur brother washes una clothes remain oh.

Some women no get sense at all, how long does she think a graduate will continue putting up with a brother? Forever?

If na me be ur brother, the kind treatment I go give her, she will choose devil in place of having me under same roof, what nonsense.
Bros no mind them.

This OP to me is a disgrace to the male folk, his own blood brother? Wife complain he ain't washing plate and he didn't give her an earful? Blood brother?? University graduate??

As a man fetching water is understandable, even some chores but plates? Out of the question! Also sweeping (to me) is out of it washing up the bathroom, car etc yes but *sweeping and *plates are NEVER.

I remember back in school my uncle told me (a 19year old) to sit @ the back seat so his babe 23years (who we went to pick up) could sit in front, as I came down I just kept walking away & ignored his calls when I got home he was ranting me jes silent till he finish, enter room pack my load tell am say e dey craze (see fight lols) my guys just even after family meeting & issues settled I still refused to move back in cos my respect for him had gone.

It's pitiful the kinda crap many boys out there have to endure all because they're living under someone's roof some girls here even saying the 'boy should wash his own plate'? Do they know what marriage even is?

The woman married into the family thus the respect she accords her husband should be transferred to the MAN (a uni grad ain't a boy). Or if he already had a good job will she ask him to wash plate?

3 Likes

Re: Is It Proper For My Younger Brother To Be Washing Plates For My Wife? by LorDBolton(m): 6:23pm On Oct 02, 2016
MRNICEGUYy:
why on earth wud u be asking a full grown man to wash plates for the family? If my wife comes to report such cases to me i will blind her with slap,
i don't joke with my family.
Why is she a wife?
Why did marry her?
If she can't work she should just park for all i care.

Just watch they will call u a misogynist...

That's why I don't fancy these long nail babes wey no get money to hire house help if dem marry.
Re: Is It Proper For My Younger Brother To Be Washing Plates For My Wife? by chigoizie7(m): 6:32pm On Oct 02, 2016
abayomi93:
bro I greet u jarey.u knw d game. The Op does not knw women yet.she has an agenda to turn d boy into their house boy.if d op allows d wife to confuse him,and he ends up messing up with his bro,he wud live to regret it.because that boy can become somethn in d future nd d op myt need his help,or even d op's kids in d future.that tym he wud remind him of hw he trashd him because of his wife.

I de tells u bro.

She and other gullible NL'ers are already hiding behind that devilish phrase of " she is your wife, ur partner and all that nonsense" to confuse the man into no knowing when to call a spade a spade, forget about what pastors or imams joined together, God 1st made them brothers by blood, he has been with his brother for years, way b4 the woman came in and just want to destroy that with "I am your wife trash". From the look of things, the op doesn't buy the idea of his brother washing the plate, but the wife seem to be confusing him, he came here to get morale and support to stand firm for his brother and all these nonsense people are telling him trash too.

As a graduate, all ur brother has to stay with u is kpatakpata 2yrs and he will find his way.

Which kind eye u go take de look your good and loving brother in some years to come after u have used a full grown graduate as a house help just because ur wife wants to.

A good wife would utilise this small time and be a good person to this guy because no one knows tomorrow, trust me, I don't wish op bad, but if they eventually turn him to a house help, the whole family will hear about it, hate her and term the hubby as a woman wrapper.

2yrs is nothing, u can wash the plates joyfully, cook joyfully, in igbo land u are not just married to ur husband but his family as a whole, and u also need to treat them with that respect as u dole out to ur husband.

But no, our naija gullible women will choose to emulate the western world, where a child will leave his/her parents for years after training them and it is considered a norm.

Nonsense, I don't pray for such wife. I have a friend, his GF doesn't play with his friends(we) talk more of his brother or sister.

Marriage is not a bed of roses, from time to time, things get awkward, @times, men misbehave, @times women misbehave, let's assume this OP misbehave @ some point in life, who will the wife fall back to for succour? For encouragement? For support? The same family she turned to slaves?

1 Like

Re: Is It Proper For My Younger Brother To Be Washing Plates For My Wife? by firstking01(m): 6:37pm On Oct 02, 2016
Is this even worth delibrating uponundecided...when we advice people to wait till they come of age before they get married they will think we dnt want them to get married...this issue is too trivial for somebody who calls himself a "man" and "head of the family" not to handle, my opinion tho.

2 Likes

Re: Is It Proper For My Younger Brother To Be Washing Plates For My Wife? by chigoizie7(m): 6:47pm On Oct 02, 2016
LorDBolton:

Bros no mind them.

This OP to me is a disgrace to the male folk, his own blood brother? Wife complain he ain't washing plate and he didn't give her an earful? Blood brother?? University graduate??

As a man fetching water is understandable, even some chores but plates? Out of the question! Also sweeping (to me) is out of it washing up the bathroom, car etc yes but *sweeping and *plates are NEVER.

I remember back in school my uncle told me (a 19year old) to sit @ the back seat so his babe 23years (who we went to pick up) could sit in front, as I came down I just kept walking away & ignored his calls when I got home he was ranting me jes silent till he finish, enter room pack my load tell am say e dey craze (see fight lols) my guys just even after family meeting & issues settled I still refused to move back in cos my respect for him had gone.

It's pitiful the kinda crap many boys out there have to endure all because they're living under someone's roof some girls here even saying the 'boy should wash his own plate'? Do they know what marriage even is?

The woman married into the family thus the respect she accords her husband should be transferred to the MAN (a uni grad ain't a boy). Or if he already had a good job will she ask him to wash plate?

Let them be learning nonsense here.

As for me, I will respect my wife the way she deserves, but any day she disrespect my family is the day she is leaving my house, if she like make she born jesus christ for me, I don't care what u all think or will say, she is my wife, "YES", but they are my family, my blood, my everything, they were there for me when I was a nobody, when I was nothing to write home about, we suffered together, conquered together, now I will come and disrespect them just because I married a woman who is 100% " REPLACEABLE". My family ain't replaceable.

4 Likes

Re: Is It Proper For My Younger Brother To Be Washing Plates For My Wife? by LorDBolton(m): 6:55pm On Oct 02, 2016
chigoizie7:

Let them be learning nonsense here.

As for me, I will respect my wife the way she deserves, but any day she disrespect my family is the day she is leaving my house, if she like make she born jesus christ for me, I don't care what u all think or will say, she is my wife, "YES", but they are my family, my blood, my everything, they were there for me when I was a nobody, when I was nothing to write home about, we suffered together, conquered together, now I will come and disrespect them just because I married a woman who is 100% " REPLACEABLE". My family ain't replaceable.

Azzin bros I find this topic ridiculous, that woman is exhibiting trait of a disrespectful woman.

I pity this OP if he falls on hard times, she will ridicule him and ask him to also be doing dishes since she is now the only one working lols.
Re: Is It Proper For My Younger Brother To Be Washing Plates For My Wife? by Rozaystunna(m): 7:15pm On Oct 02, 2016
make I hear say I wash plate for any bastard_ angry angry angry angry
Re: Is It Proper For My Younger Brother To Be Washing Plates For My Wife? by morganist99(m): 7:20pm On Oct 02, 2016
LastMumu:

A university graduate.... hian! Your brother is no longer a boy, he is now a man. That he is still managing under your roof doesn't make him less a man. Since you already alluded to the fact that he helps with house chores as well as fetching of water at home, I think your brother is doing enough. Your wife should not try to force him to wash plates, men naturally don't fancy domestic chores like plate washing .

If he prepares a meal for himself, he can wash his own plates, but you forcing him to wash the plates you and your wife ate from is demeaning.

Lastmumu
your name na mumu but you talk like a wise man

1 Like

Re: Is It Proper For My Younger Brother To Be Washing Plates For My Wife? by Lanresnett(m): 8:47pm On Oct 02, 2016
Sir, your wife should just follow the traditions of your place,its simpler that way without anyone bein biased or taken blames.
Re: Is It Proper For My Younger Brother To Be Washing Plates For My Wife? by Melonny(m): 9:11pm On Oct 02, 2016
So you expect your "graduate brother" to do the dishes? well, I am a Yoruba boy and as a product of a good home, my wife will never tell my brother to wash his plate talk more do the dishes. what nonsense!!
it should be a thing of choice not mandatory.
Re: Is It Proper For My Younger Brother To Be Washing Plates For My Wife? by munas: 9:20pm On Oct 02, 2016
stephenmorris:
you are damn wrong so for example because i don't have a job ,i should surrender my honor as a man to a woman

Which kain honour be that?
Go and be of help to ur wifee joor.
I have been doing that for 9rs and no biggie

2 Likes

Re: Is It Proper For My Younger Brother To Be Washing Plates For My Wife? by Ifakiland(m): 9:21pm On Oct 02, 2016
bladeAnders:
Mr man are u alright, can't u think before u type? it all depends on the circumstances surrounding the house....
african mentality so the younger bro should be eating food cooked by the wife and will sit down cross leg while the wife washes the plate he used to eat? well u can treat ur wife like a slave though thats ur bizness

10 Likes 2 Shares

Re: Is It Proper For My Younger Brother To Be Washing Plates For My Wife? by Ezeanna: 9:23pm On Oct 02, 2016
OP,
Since you said your brother fetches water in the house and helps out with some other chores, he is doing enough. Many men are not comfortable in their wife's kitchen not to talk of the kitchen that belongs to a SIL.

I bet your brother isn't comfortable standing in that kitchen not to talk of doing dishes. Let madam wash the plates by herself, wetin sef.

IMO, your brother should just try to ensure that there is always water in the house for everyone to use, let him just take that as what he is offering as thanks for the accommodation. It's only a matter of time before he leaves, but while he is there let him make his stay pleasant for both himself and his host and hostess.
Re: Is It Proper For My Younger Brother To Be Washing Plates For My Wife? by Ifakiland(m): 9:26pm On Oct 02, 2016
abayomi93:
oga,it is people like you that create problem in d family.u dnt knw women.once d boy starts washing plates,woman will want to turn him to house boy. And if u ask d boy to go bcus of your wife no prob. He will go and one day he will become a man.nd u myt need his help someday.that's d time u will feel d repercuation of what u have done.if u wnt d boy to assist ur wife,just tell him to do some works urself.dnt give ur wife d authority to order him around.
so u dont know once ure married, ur wife becomes closer than ur family members abi?? so wtf are u talking abt creating problems. if he cant wash the plates he usues to eat, he shuld either be eating out or go find somewhere else to live....its simple.

10 Likes

Re: Is It Proper For My Younger Brother To Be Washing Plates For My Wife? by Nobody: 9:46pm On Oct 02, 2016
Re: Is It Proper For My Younger Brother To Be Washing Plates For My Wife? by Nobody: 9:47pm On Oct 02, 2016
Lastmumu already said it all mahn!! She's ranting and blabbing just because your brother doesn't do the dishes?? Is she that lazy and arrogant?? Washing the plates her brother in-law ate with is too big of a task for her to do??

Ladies of nowadays sef
Re: Is It Proper For My Younger Brother To Be Washing Plates For My Wife? by Nobody: 9:50pm On Oct 02, 2016
Ifakiland:

so u dont know once ure married, ur wife becomes closer than ur family members abi?? so wtf are u talking abt creating problems. if he cant wash the plates he usues to eat, he shuld either be eating out or go find somewhere else to live....its simple.
than your siblings you mean?? Guess you don't know there's a huge probability that that so called wife would dump you but you always gat ur siblings/children till death takes the toll

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (Reply)

Bride Price Wahala! / Good Advice Please. Do I Have A Case In This Matter? / Why Do People Use Burial Ceremonies To Show Affluence?

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 89
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.