Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,150,645 members, 7,809,432 topics. Date: Friday, 26 April 2024 at 09:30 AM

What Are The Career Opportunities For A Nutrition And Dietetics Graduate - Career - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Career / What Are The Career Opportunities For A Nutrition And Dietetics Graduate (30834 Views)

What Are The Career Option For Biochemistry Graduate / What Are The Career Opportunities For English Graduates? / The Career Advice I Wish I Had At 25 (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (Reply) (Go Down)

What Are The Career Opportunities For A Nutrition And Dietetics Graduate by CaraJewel(f): 12:46am On Oct 03, 2016
Hi all,really keen on knowing your views..would also like to know if they get jobs..if jobs are available and easy to find..plus are they paid well..and can they be self employed.. Thanks
Re: What Are The Career Opportunities For A Nutrition And Dietetics Graduate by CaraJewel(f): 1:17pm On Oct 05, 2016
I keep getting views but no post..so no one knows
Re: What Are The Career Opportunities For A Nutrition And Dietetics Graduate by jeyselassie(m): 2:50pm On Oct 05, 2016
ok. they can work in a bank.

2 Likes

Re: What Are The Career Opportunities For A Nutrition And Dietetics Graduate by CaraJewel(f): 12:23am On Oct 07, 2016
Funny..no sis..datz old..i want someone who has an insight to my topic..u should af jxt viewed and let go

1 Like 2 Shares

Re: What Are The Career Opportunities For A Nutrition And Dietetics Graduate by CaraJewel(f): 12:24am On Oct 07, 2016
Oh sorry bro
Re: What Are The Career Opportunities For A Nutrition And Dietetics Graduate by Nobody: 2:02am On Oct 07, 2016
CaraJewel:
Hi all,really keen on knowing your views..would also like to know if they get jobs..if jobs are available and easy to find..plus are they paid well..and can they be self employed.. Thanks

let me help you a little! go to this thread and pm the op

https://www.nairaland.com/3369462/personalized-nutritional-counseling-registered-dietitian
Re: What Are The Career Opportunities For A Nutrition And Dietetics Graduate by veekid(m): 6:49am On Oct 07, 2016
Make dem go teach food and nutrition for better sec school; or edible catering

5 Likes

Re: What Are The Career Opportunities For A Nutrition And Dietetics Graduate by agbolase2: 6:52am On Oct 07, 2016
Item 7 arena.

4 Likes

Re: What Are The Career Opportunities For A Nutrition And Dietetics Graduate by solaere(m): 6:52am On Oct 07, 2016
Self employed?yes nd simple others no nd though...!
Re: What Are The Career Opportunities For A Nutrition And Dietetics Graduate by bolaji3071(m): 6:53am On Oct 07, 2016
They can work in the BANK, infact if you studied zoology in school banks will accept you with open arms as far as you are still within their age limit

2 Likes

Re: What Are The Career Opportunities For A Nutrition And Dietetics Graduate by GeoOla25(m): 6:53am On Oct 07, 2016
what were you told in school by your lecturers during freshers orientation... ....lol you have been scammed after 4-5 years in school.

4 Likes

Re: What Are The Career Opportunities For A Nutrition And Dietetics Graduate by InvertedHammer: 7:01am On Oct 07, 2016
CaraJewel:
/
None

\
Re: What Are The Career Opportunities For A Nutrition And Dietetics Graduate by kernigsloan: 7:01am On Oct 07, 2016
You can work in a hospital. Most hospitals have a nutrition and dietetics unit.
Part of ur job description will be to advice on the best type of meal a patient with a particular condition should tk. eg u'll be d 1 to advice a patient with DM on his/her nutrition.
For those saying she should open a restaurant, a dietician is someone who studies about human nutrition and diet. Dieticians are the only healthcare professionals licensed to assess and TREAT nutritional problems.
This is different from some one who studied home economics

28 Likes

Re: What Are The Career Opportunities For A Nutrition And Dietetics Graduate by marysyviabrown(f): 7:01am On Oct 07, 2016
the best is to be self employed, open your own catering business.
Re: What Are The Career Opportunities For A Nutrition And Dietetics Graduate by booz(m): 7:01am On Oct 07, 2016
There are opportunities, but very few ones. Take for example, UNICEF and other international bodies hire for nutrition advisors which perfectly suits your course of study and I bet you the pay is very good. But one disturbing thing is that, they require between 5-10 years of working experience and/or advanced degrees for you to be hired. Where would you get that? My suggestion is, try getting a well established hospital or a teaching hospital where they have nutritionist role, gather experience there for your CV and you are good to go.

8 Likes 2 Shares

Re: What Are The Career Opportunities For A Nutrition And Dietetics Graduate by alameen21: 7:02am On Oct 07, 2016
CaraJewel:
source for funds and open a very nutritious food restaurant.... the better ur food + class and variety , the more you are patronized and the more wealthy u became .
shikenah!!! what more are u looking for ??
Re: What Are The Career Opportunities For A Nutrition And Dietetics Graduate by Maxvasia(m): 7:02am On Oct 07, 2016
Yea there are opportunities. They are needed in places like Nestle, Cadbury, NB, and other large food and beverage companies, even in teaching hospitals. But u know the drill, without connection in this country, even a Doctor can end up in a bank. (I am a Doc so dnt tell me am wrong tongue . oga Seun, how come this thread made front page? What are ur yardsticks for pushing headings to front page sef? Must one be a female b4 that can happen? Cos av posted thought provoking and important issues that can affect the lives of the average nigerian and NONE ever made front page. And yes, am Male.

1 Like

Re: What Are The Career Opportunities For A Nutrition And Dietetics Graduate by Nobody: 7:07am On Oct 07, 2016
You can work in hospitals for sure.

2 Likes 1 Share

Re: What Are The Career Opportunities For A Nutrition And Dietetics Graduate by myrrtle(m): 7:18am On Oct 07, 2016
A dietician may specialize to become any of the following:
Consultant Dietitian,
Research Dietitian and Nutritionist,
Clinic Dietitian and Nutritionist,
Therapeutic Dietitian,
Industrial nutritionist,
Public Health Nutritionist,
Nutrition educator,
source: http://careersome.com/healthcare/dietitian.html

4 Likes 1 Share

Re: What Are The Career Opportunities For A Nutrition And Dietetics Graduate by ogedanny: 7:18am On Oct 07, 2016
Yes there are lot of opportunities; My Sister Inlaw studied Food and Nutrition and I advised her to start a blog:

Here is the blog http://naijafoodtherapy.com/

She is already receiving calls and request from people.
Re: What Are The Career Opportunities For A Nutrition And Dietetics Graduate by emilo26(m): 7:20am On Oct 07, 2016
My sis the opportunities are huge. Remember there is something humans cannot do without and that is food. They can work in FMCG fast moving consumer goods most especially the ones that specializes in foods such as Cadbury, Nestlé, uac, rite, nutricima, fan milk, chi vita, they are many. Also hospital is an option, education is sector, fast foods such as tfc, genesis, KFC, etc and for the pay, they are well paid. Don't be scared ooo. Submit your cv in any company that deals with food

2 Likes

Re: What Are The Career Opportunities For A Nutrition And Dietetics Graduate by shurlar50(m): 7:20am On Oct 07, 2016
They can work in hospital(med. Facilities, psychiatric hosp), hotels, food and pharmaceutical industries, NAFDAC, gymnasium, IDP camp, Govt. House, self employed (as a caterer) or restaurants, teach/lecture in secondary school/university, paramilitary,(AIRFORCE, NAVY, or ARMY), rehabs, in sports especially football (very lucrative if you get employed to EPL) ati beebeelö. You just have to be passionate and very good at what you study to achieve.
Re: What Are The Career Opportunities For A Nutrition And Dietetics Graduate by Aquariann: 7:24am On Oct 07, 2016
Op, I presume you've just secured admission into a Nigerian university to study this course? Which might not have been what you applied for or wanted?
Re: What Are The Career Opportunities For A Nutrition And Dietetics Graduate by ednut1(m): 7:32am On Oct 07, 2016
get ur 2.1, apply to banks audit firms and other finiancial institutions jare. about 80% of Science and engine students end up in the financial industry. such is life
Re: What Are The Career Opportunities For A Nutrition And Dietetics Graduate by bellville: 7:34am On Oct 07, 2016
1. They work in government hospitals. They counsel pregnant women, diabetic patients on nutritional needs. 2. They can lecture at the university. This will require further academic qualifications.
3. A nutrition and dietetics graduate can start a blog on dieting and weight loss. A lot of people nowadays turn to the internet for such information.
4. Such graduate can also acquire some knowledge in aerobics in his service year. After completion of NYSC, he can start a weight loss school. Just package the school well.

2 Likes

Re: What Are The Career Opportunities For A Nutrition And Dietetics Graduate by buchilino(m): 7:35am On Oct 07, 2016
IF SOME OF THESE FEDERAL MEDICAL CENTERS R STILL RECRUITING, THEN U CAN APPLY AT THEM. D PAY IS SMALL BUT U WILL ENJOY IT.
Re: What Are The Career Opportunities For A Nutrition And Dietetics Graduate by geekybabe(f): 7:38am On Oct 07, 2016
wow..great course. I bet you don't even knoe the value of what you have. Go online and find out more about what people who studied nutrition all over the world are doing. Look beyond Nigeria. You could even start doing a lot of research and you could start applying for a post graduate degree.

with that kind of course you will go placed in a lot of developed countries. Read and Read. there are several scholarship opportunities for Nutritional scientists. Search and you could just get one. Think outside the Nigerian 'box'.
Re: What Are The Career Opportunities For A Nutrition And Dietetics Graduate by braniac11: 7:41am On Oct 07, 2016
Obviously those saying Op should go open a restaurant are ignorant of what Nutrition and Dietetics entails.
As a Nutritionist or Dietitian, you have a very broad career prospect if you can be patient, build yourself very and I believe the sky would be your starting point.
In Nutrition and Dietetics, you can decide to specialize as a Nutritionist or a Dietitian.
Nutritionist deals majorly with the public, and that's why you have public health nutrition which gives opportunity working with NGO'S such as Unicef, Action Against hunger and a whole lot of them especially now that there is a serious malnutrition problem in the North East. Note: all these NGO'S pay in dollars. Also, as a Nutritionist, you can work as Nutrition Advisor to companies like Nestle, Friesland Wamco, Nestle wayeth, Cardbury etc
Coming down to the Dietetics aspect now, Dietetics is more or less a clinical nutrition. Here alongside other health teams help to manage patients with nutritional problem e.g Diabetes. Kidney disease et.al.
However, before you can become a registered Dietitian you must go through a one year internship in an accredited teaching hospital and of course it comes with a good money that you can start life with if you decide not to practice. I hope I helped a bit.

4 Likes

Re: What Are The Career Opportunities For A Nutrition And Dietetics Graduate by abeloureal(m): 7:48am On Oct 07, 2016
I don't really like questions like this owing to the fact that all questions Luke this can and has been answered in your orientation in your department during your first year. maybe you missed it or maybe you never had any or you're seeking an admission to study the course.
Re: What Are The Career Opportunities For A Nutrition And Dietetics Graduate by forexbinary: 8:24am On Oct 07, 2016
Jos get married & cook 4 Ur hubby...
#case_closed

(1) (2) (3) (4) (Reply)

My MD Slapped Me, Please I Need Your Advice / 10 Reasons Why Some People Will Never Succeed / Fuel Subsidy Removal: Lapo MFB Increases Staff Salaries

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 33
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.