Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,153,010 members, 7,817,977 topics. Date: Sunday, 05 May 2024 at 01:09 AM

My Life As A Teacher. - Career (8) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Career / My Life As A Teacher. (52736 Views)

My Life As A Teacher. / Why Did You Become A Teacher / How To Become Practically Indispensable As A Teacher (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) ... (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10) (11) ... (14) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: My Life As A Teacher. by ijeoma2728(f): 2:35am On Jun 02, 2017
Good job zayine.!!
I've learnt soo much. Thanks a lot., honestly you don't know how much you have helped.
More pls

2 Likes

Re: My Life As A Teacher. by zaynie(f): 11:07am On Jun 09, 2017
ijeoma2728:
Good job zayine.!!
I've learnt soo much. Thanks a lot., honestly you don't know how much you have helped.
More pls

Happy to help..
Guess it's time to resurrect this thread cheesy
Re: My Life As A Teacher. by wholesomegrace: 10:29am On Jun 19, 2017
zaynie:

Happy to help..
Guess it's time to resurrect this thread cheesy

I just started peeping here too. How are your wonderful pupils ma? Please would appreciate if you can assist with good schools around Ogudu/gbagada axis. Thanks sis
Re: My Life As A Teacher. by zaynie(f): 7:29am On Jun 20, 2017
wholesomegrace:

I just started peeping here too. How are your wonderful pupils ma? Please would appreciate if you can assist with good schools around Ogudu/gbagada axis. Thanks sis

My leg no reach all that side o....
Guess you have to do the waka-ing by yourself smiley

1 Like

Re: My Life As A Teacher. by zaynie(f): 7:47am On Jun 20, 2017
Being a while.
So my kids are leaving the class soon.
I'll so miss them. I've gotten very fond of them sha.
The thinking corner boys are now well behaved. They hardly ever go there, not when we started the reading corner. We put a sofa there and kids that behave well or eat on time get rewarded by going to the reading corner to pick a book and read.
In general, we've had a good year. 3 kids from my group are moving on to a proper school. The other 4 go to the next class here. They're good but too young to start Grade School.
Demi started from writing 1-30 and he's been able to write,recognise and count 1-100, do simple addition and subtraction of single digits since over 6 weeks ago.He can identify all his single letter sounds and name blend and segment 3 letter words. He can also skip count in 2s, count forward and backwards.
Buki started from writing 1-3 and now she can do all Demi does more effectively sef. She's blending like a pro and has started reading.
IT started from 1-3 and she's very good with counting and recognition of numbers but she's finding subtraction and addition difficult. She can also blend but not too well. She had a speech problem and I believe she's the hardest worker in my group. I mean her father was in tears just going through her work. He was like.... "she's shown far more growth here than any other place " They made a lot of sacrifice to bring her here. They had to move houses and towns sef just for her.
Keke is just a lazy girl. angry. We go one step forward and 2 steps back. She's writing to 50 and I had to hand her over to the class TA for her number recognition ,but she's a super blender and has started reading! She has problems with numbers only.... She's still my sweetheart sha.... She can giggle for Africa.... So cute! kiss
Dara is still my ChubbyPrincess, she's a slow and steady kinda girl. She's writing to 70, can identify and count to 100. She hasn't got the hang of blending yet but we're working on it wink.
Abby is still fine and overly feisty! Kai! She's writing to 50 ,can recognize and count to 100 and can blend 2 letter words comfortably, we're working hard at 3 letter words.
Mide,Chairman of ThinkingCorner grin. He was able to write to 70 and then we went all the way back to 30 and now we're back to 50. He can segment but not blend.... cheesy. It's funny... Really it is. He was first to recognise all letter names and number to 100. He's good like that. He learns best by look and learn method.
So those are members of my exceeding team.
They're all 3 years old with Mide being the youngest at 3y6m and IT being the oldest at 3y10m.
Buki, IT and Keke are moving to Grade School this September.

I'll be posting some milestones we measure them with in my school for ages 24m-60m. It'll be helpful for those preparing kids for school and at least you can know what areas to help your child with at home.
It'll be a one at a time thing please bear with me tongue

10 Likes 1 Share

Re: My Life As A Teacher. by obioji(f): 8:56am On Jun 20, 2017
Wow! Well done zaynie. Looking forward to your post on milestones.

1 Like

Re: My Life As A Teacher. by NL1960: 11:18am On Jun 20, 2017
wholesomegrace:

Do you mind CMD road/Magodo axis?.
Re: My Life As A Teacher. by jobbers: 11:54am On Jun 20, 2017
you love it

1 Like

Re: My Life As A Teacher. by wholesomegrace: 1:48pm On Jun 20, 2017
NL1960:

Do you mind CMD road/Magodo axis?.

Please go ahead. They are still along same axis. Thanks
Re: My Life As A Teacher. by NL1960: 2:30pm On Jun 20, 2017
wholesomegrace:

Please go ahead. They are still along same axis. Thanks

You can take a look at Caleb International school(CIS). My kids went there and i have been impressed with them. My son is now in JSS 2 in the secondary school i have always wanted for him after finishing from there while my daughter is in Primary 6 and will be entering JSS 1 in September in the secondary school i have always wanted for her.
Re: My Life As A Teacher. by wholesomegrace: 3:39pm On Jun 20, 2017
NL1960:

You can take a look at Caleb International school(CIS). My kids went there and i have been impressed with them. My son is now in JSS 2 in the secondary school i have always wanted for him after finishing from there while my daughter is in Primary 6 and will be entering JSS 1 in September in the secondary school i have always wanted for her.

Thanks for this info. Will add the school to my list
Re: My Life As A Teacher. by Abiagirl777(f): 1:55am On Jul 28, 2017
seriously following

1 Like

Re: My Life As A Teacher. by zaynie(f): 12:08pm On Jul 31, 2017
Hello, as promised.

First read note to parents.

I will be explaining the learning goals and how you can achieve them with the kids.

5 Likes 4 Shares

Re: My Life As A Teacher. by rofemiguwa(f): 1:36pm On Jul 31, 2017
Following
Re: My Life As A Teacher. by zaynie(f): 10:29pm On Jul 31, 2017
So well discuss Early Learning Goals ELGs for kids but put in mind at all times that these goals have a wide age range for a reason, some kids are late bloomers and will only catch up towards the end range in some areas while some kids would have exceeded certain goals way before it is expected of them.
If at the end of the range, your child or ward has been assessed and found to not have conquered those goals for his age range, then their might be need to further carry out some tests.

I use conquer because it means at every point in time, he knows this, not a one off or first time thing. Not an almost all the time thing. He knows it always.
So don't be in a hurry to tick off the goals just yet. Give him time to forget and recollect till it sticks.

How do you know if your child has conquered each goal?
1. He plays with what he knows : by exploring (if you teach him colors for example he could go ahead looking for all things red in the house.

2. Being willing to have a go. When children know stuff they don't shy from letting everyone know. Once your child is willing to talk about what they know, effective learning has taken place.

3. Active learning :
#Being involved and concentrating on task at hand. Remember that their attention span is as short as their age in years plus at most one minute. So your 2yo has an attention span of 3minutes. Get your message across in 3 minutes, it it doesn't click give her some breathing space and come back to it later. So when you're explaining stuff, don't hammer on one thing for too long and don't pack too many things in a lesson. A typical classroom lesson takes 35 minutes, most of that time is spent managing all the kids (say cool, repeating the main point till it sticks and allowing the children to contribute to the lesson takes most of the time cos that's the realest feedback you'll ever get.

#Keep trying (as long as your child is willing to keep trying, he is ready to learn, a child that isn't ready to learn will give signs like sulking, dozing off, crying, acting up, giggle, yell after you or not talk at all).
Also out in mind that there's no excuse for bad behavior and always give choice of what to do.
For example if I'm teaching numbers and I'm helping a child with proper number formation, once we try with scribbling on paper and I see he's not getting it and has started scribbling jargons, rather than get mad at him, I give him and trays or sandpaper numbers. Sand trays help his fingers remember the way to go, sandpaper is similar to sand trays just that the number has been engraved into a wooden board so he follows the proper formation. Then we could move on to writing on a write and wipe lapboard and then try the pencil and paper once more.
As a rule in my class, the child only ever writes in his book when he has conquered the goal, so we only write in our books once in a week or twice depending on the child.

#The child enjoys achieving what he set out to do. He's proud of his work. If at the end of the days he's sniffling and crying after achieving a goal then effective learning hasn't taken place. He hasn't quite conquered that goal.

4. Creative and Critical Thinking.
#He has his own ideas: you're teaching him to order stuff and you begin by ordering from the longest to the shortest but while you aren't looking, he's ordering from the shortest to the longest, trust me he has conquered the goal.
#Making a link: You show him a red flash card and he immediately blurts out "I have a red truck! Or sees you slicing tomatoes and says "Tomato is red! "
#Choosing ways to do things. You don't interrupt a child when he's trying to do things on his own exceot if he's in danger. Things like lacing his own shoes, let him try, feeding himself, tidying up toys. These children are capable of doing so much if only well stop being helicopter parents.

11 Likes 8 Shares

Re: My Life As A Teacher. by CheeryChy(f): 1:01pm On Aug 01, 2017
This is so instructive zaynie. I'm seriously following.

1 Like

Re: My Life As A Teacher. by hotmomma(f): 3:29pm On Aug 01, 2017
Wow, Zaynie, very good writeup, pls where do u think one can see schools that follow this your method on the mainland?

1 Like

Re: My Life As A Teacher. by zaynie(f): 6:57pm On Aug 01, 2017
hotmomma:
Wow, Zaynie, very good writeup, pls where do u think one can see schools that follow this your method on the mainland?

Hello Hotmomma.
I can't say for sure and God knows I don't like throwing names of schools out especially if I've ever worked there.
But these can help you know what questions to ask when you go hunting for schools.
If your child is a Preschooler (0-4+), I'd advise you find a good preschool without an adjoining primary school, this is because most preschool teachers have a diploma in Early Years Foundation Stage and this is the principle followed and all they ever centre around is how to teach preschoolers.

My kids don't attend this type of school but my skills as a teacher comes in handy, so if you follow and practise with your child, you can give her the best of both worlds.

5 Likes 1 Share

Re: My Life As A Teacher. by Zheemub(f): 4:52pm On Aug 03, 2017
Thanks zaynie for the tips.
I have been following them to an extent for my kid who will be going to nursery one by September and will be 4 by November.
I want to introduce him to how to read and do simple addition and subtraction but don't know how to go about it.
What books can I get to start up the reading aspect?
Though I got Queen premier English.
Thanks in anticipation.
Re: My Life As A Teacher. by Adeapex(m): 7:24am On Aug 04, 2017
Hello everyone, I stay in sango ota and am seeking further mathematics teaching vacancy around,sango, oju- ore, iyana, iju and atan axis. Any help could be grateful appreciated. 08067034194...
Re: My Life As A Teacher. by rofemiguwa(f): 9:25am On Aug 04, 2017
zaynie:

Hello Hotmomma.
I can't say for sure and God knows I don't like throwing names of schools out especially if I've ever worked there.
But these can help you know what questions to ask when you go hunting for schools.
If your child is a Preschooler (0-4+), I'd advise you find a good preschool without an adjoining primary school, this is because most preschool teachers have a diploma in Early Years Foundation Stage and this is the principle followed and all they ever centre around is how to teach preschoolers.

My kids don't attend this type of school but my skills as a teacher comes in handy, so if you follow and practise with your child, you can give her the best of both worlds.

Pls where can we get this reading and writing aids please.
Re: My Life As A Teacher. by zaynie(f): 2:46pm On Aug 04, 2017
Zheemub:
Thanks zaynie for the tips.
I have been following them to an extent for my kid who will be going to nursery one by September and will be 4 by November.
I want to introduce him to how to read and do simple addition and subtraction but don't know how to go about it.
What books can I get to start up the reading aspect?
Though I got Queen premier English.
Thanks in anticipation.

I'll be going to a bookstore in my neighborhood tomorrow. I'll see if they have anything for early learners.

Cc Rofemiguwa

1 Like

Re: My Life As A Teacher. by Zheemub(f): 6:16pm On Aug 04, 2017
zaynie:

I'll be going to a bookstore in my neighborhood tomorrow. I'll see if they have anything for early learners.

Cc Rofemiguwa

Thanks for your time. It's appreciated
Re: My Life As A Teacher. by zaynie(f): 2:33pm On Aug 05, 2017
Just got back from the bookstore.

I'm always finding something new to buy.
Okay so we're starting a new habit of one book per week and workbooks to support. when my son said "I don't like books" I almost had an heart attack and my mind flew to Blank and her kids immediately cry.

They also do jolly phonics training for parents every month for 10k
They have books on everything and are reasonably priced.
They have very colorful educational and moral charts too.
I don't think they have the write and wipe and sandpaper letters ,I'll check another place later this week. But sand trays can be made at home.

This bookstore is Chelis Bookazine at 12 Johnson Street of Eric Moore, Bode Thomas Surulere Lagos.
All the below was about 4k.

2 Likes 8 Shares

Re: My Life As A Teacher. by ashjay001(m): 5:59pm On Aug 05, 2017
zaynie:

Okay so we're starting a new habit of one book per week and workbooks to support. when my son said "I don't like books" I almost had an heart attack and my mind flew to Blank and her kids immediately cry.

I don't think they have the write and wipe and sandpaper letters ,I'll check another place later this week. But sand trays can be made at home.

This bookstore is Chelis Bookazine at 12 Johnson Street of Eric Moore, Bode Thomas Surulere Lagos.

4k ke? For here(Abj/Lkj), na ghana-must-go of cash u go carry go! Thats if such quality stuff is even available!
Re: My Life As A Teacher. by zaynie(f): 7:02am On Aug 06, 2017
ashjay001:

4k ke? For here(Abj/Lkj), na ghana-must-go of cash u go carry go! Thats if such quality stuff is even available!

Ehya. grin
They actually sell wholesales and even to school so they are reasonably priced.

1 Like

Re: My Life As A Teacher. by ashjay001(m): 9:18am On Aug 06, 2017
zaynie:

Ehya. grin

Abeg, u fit sammer me their add? Or number? Looking to invest n such biz would make a lot of sense, if I can just get d right person to.......
Re: My Life As A Teacher. by zaynie(f): 9:25am On Aug 06, 2017
Chelis Bookazine at 12 Johnson Street of Eric Moore, Bode Thomas Surulere Lagos.
ashjay001:

Abeg, u fit sammer me their add? Or number? Looking to invest n such biz would make a lot of sense, if I can just get d right person to.......

1 Like

Re: My Life As A Teacher. by ashjay001(m): 9:30am On Aug 06, 2017
zaynie:
Chelis Bookazine at 12 Johnson Street of Eric Moore, Bode Thomas Surulere Lagos.

Adupe, Ma

Extend my greetings to Moyo, Atinuke n Oga.

1 Like

Re: My Life As A Teacher. by rofemiguwa(f): 10:48am On Aug 06, 2017
zaynie:

Ehya. grin
Pristine is 15months.which one can we start on
Re: My Life As A Teacher. by enque(f): 4:40pm On Aug 06, 2017
zaynie:

I once worked at Chelis.. Left them in 2015
They hve very nice books

1 Like

(1) (2) (3) ... (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10) (11) ... (14) (Reply)

Salary Structure In Nigeria / Lara Odoffin, Nigerian, Loses Job Offer In UK Because Of Her Braids / Doctors And Their Pay Packets

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 69
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.