Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,152,527 members, 7,816,287 topics. Date: Friday, 03 May 2024 at 08:52 AM

Houses Submerged By Flood In Ifo, Ogun State - Photos - Politics (3) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / Houses Submerged By Flood In Ifo, Ogun State - Photos (32295 Views)

Cross River Governor’s Office Flooded, Properties Submerged (Photos) / Osinbajo Inspects Areas Affected By Flood In Makurdi, Visits IDP's Camp (Photos) / Community Submerged In Flood Along Abuja-Kaduna Expressway (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Houses Submerged By Flood In Ifo, Ogun State - Photos by waldigit: 3:52am On Oct 06, 2016
Blue3k:

Aren't there zoning laws in the state that would not allow that or add extra requirements maybe?
There are zoning laws which nobody is willing to obey. We are very lawless and unscientific in our ways. It is only time like this that we begin to cry. I bet in few days time when the water goes both the govt. and the people will move on without thinking of any solution.
Re: Houses Submerged By Flood In Ifo, Ogun State - Photos by nnokwa042(m): 5:36am On Oct 06, 2016
abike12:
I'm from Ogun and even me don tire for this negative publicity
abii sorry about the negative news coming from ogun state one day ogun people will repent and become good people take it easy abii dont let ogun bother u , you can allways claim ur from ikoyi lagos e no mean
Re: Houses Submerged By Flood In Ifo, Ogun State - Photos by nnokwa042(m): 5:45am On Oct 06, 2016
osibenaezekiel:
Flood is not peculiar to Ogun state alone. Go to ketu,mile 12,owode and other parts of Lagos with even more flooded areas than this. And for you to say Ogun state is having bad publicity is very bad. You should be aware that that about four years ago relief materials was sent to people in the east and north affected by flood. None has been sent to Ogun state. How then do you think we are the worst of all?
shes not talking about the flood , for the past 4 months now ogun must be in news either for ritual or cult or oro or kidnapping the worst of it now us in ogun state all burial ground has been dig opend for human parts in ogun no rest for the dead thats what the young lady is complaining about but i ve console her

1 Like

Re: Houses Submerged By Flood In Ifo, Ogun State - Photos by Ibro2005: 7:20am On Oct 06, 2016
Why always there only? Mayb there is lack of drainage in your roads pple
Re: Houses Submerged By Flood In Ifo, Ogun State - Photos by 4dor: 8:12am On Oct 06, 2016
LorDBolton:
Ikorodu ain't spared @ all, same crap.

we have many useless govts in naija

This ish has been happening since time immemorial

Why can't the LASG GOVT build a dam here to absorb the excess water, if there's anything I've learnt reading about the Netherlands history it's that there's always engineering solution to every problem.

I feel your pain but in all honesty the last government tried so much on this issue. What you see here is a combination of greed and indiscipline by civil servants, land sellers and the people that bought the land.
Re: Houses Submerged By Flood In Ifo, Ogun State - Photos by YourNemesis: 10:48am On Oct 06, 2016
LorDBolton:

To be honest this your post is fraught with ignorance...

These lands are as dry as you can imagine during dry season/rainy season, it's the dam opening that's causing havoc thus it's govt who errs by not dredging the canals and building steep pavements.

The houses in my area are @least 3/5 from the canals thus no single blockage it's all a result of opening a dam not rains.

Everywhere around the world FLOOD happens recently southern Australia was flooded badly(google it) even down to the main highways (in a planned place like Australia o). So maybe they should all desert southern Australia? Its already progressed past many towns

So Stop being ignorant.(even mentioning sea bed like u know what SEA BED means)

My post is not fraught with ignorance, but rather, you own thought process is. What is a dam and what does it do? It stores water upstream.
When a river is dammed, the original waterflow shrinks downstream to a glory of its former self... BUT the original river bed still remains.
People over time seeing that this has become new/virgin "land" begin building in river beds, forgetting that dams further upstream are not disaster proof or lasting solutions. Dams can become full when precipitation is in excess, or when capacity becomes filled, in which case excess water would have to be released which would fill the river bed. except the volume of released water is so great that it overflows. That is standard practice for dams in every part of the world, so you can't exactly blame the dam authorities for releasing excess water to relieve pressure on the dam barrage. Failure to do so woud have led to even bigger disaster for downstream communities..Go to Lagos and Ogun states, and see how close to the ogun river people have built houses...
Re: Houses Submerged By Flood In Ifo, Ogun State - Photos by k4kenny(f): 11:24am On Oct 06, 2016
GreatManBee:
This is really serious. I was in an area around Orimerunmu today. The flooding is terrible.
BTW, why should the dam be open in the first place and why can the flood be channeled somewhere else
This is heartbreaking because these flood is man made. It could have been controlled.

CC: Ablanre

Has the terrible flood gotten to orimerunmu? That's closer to mowe nah. I don't know how they let this matter get out of hand. I passed by this morning, the floor is about to submerge the long bridge shocked. It wasn't like that when yesterday o. The water level seems to be increasing by the minute.
Re: Houses Submerged By Flood In Ifo, Ogun State - Photos by Goke7: 11:31am On Oct 06, 2016
YourNemesis:

My post is not fraught with ignorance, but rather, you own thought process is. What is a dam and what does it do? It stores water upstream.
When a river is dammed, the original waterflow shrinks downstream to a glory of its former self... BUT the original river bed still remains.
People over time seeing that this has become new/virgin "land" begin building in river beds, forgetting that dams further upstream are not disaster proof or lasting solutions. Dams can become full when precipitation is in excess, or when capacity becomes filled, in which case excess water would have to be released which would fill the river bed. except the volume of released water is so great that it overflows. That is standard practice for dams in every part of the world, so you can't exactly blame the dam authorities for releasing excess water to relieve pressure on the dam barrage. Failure to do so woud have led to even bigger disaster for downstream communities..Go to Lagos and Ogun states, and see how close to the ogun river people have built houses...

you've said it all, our people should stop building on flood plains, its that simple. Take iyana oworo for instance and see how close people build to the Lagoon and creeks around there. Like someone said earlier, we are too unscientific in this part of the world. Water must always find its level.
Re: Houses Submerged By Flood In Ifo, Ogun State - Photos by Goke7: 11:35am On Oct 06, 2016
LorDBolton:

To be honest this your post is fraught with ignorance...

These lands are as dry as you can imagine during dry season/rainy season, it's the dam opening that's causing havoc thus it's govt who errs by not dredging the canals and building steep pavements.

The houses in my area are @least 3/5 from the canals thus no single blockage it's all a result of opening a dam not rains.

Everywhere around the world FLOOD happens recently southern Australia was flooded badly(google it) even down to the main highways (in a planned place like Australia o). So maybe they should all desert southern Australia? Its already progressed past many towns

So Stop being ignorant.(even mentioning sea bed like u know what SEA BED means)

That those lands are dry does not mean they are not flood plains. Its better not to build on a flood plain in a country like ours where our response to emergency is not swift.
Re: Houses Submerged By Flood In Ifo, Ogun State - Photos by anyaekekehinde(m): 8:44am On Oct 09, 2016
YourNemesis:

Man, I think you are smart but let me say this, I made an investigation, the old people in the area told me that places that have Never experienced flooding over 30years are now experiencing it... This is not because they are close to the flood plain. Why impound Water when you know you don't have the wherewithal to control the dam, allow the water to flow always. Why was the damn constructed
If its fishing, can we compare the economic adverse effect of opening the dam now to fishing in the dam

If its electricity, the maximum theoretical power you can get from the oyam dam considering Hydrostatic head and Volumetric flow rate can't exceed 12Mw, what economic value does the 12Mw have compared to the people displaced, the 12Mw is not even enough to supply power to half the people displaced.

If its flood control, then there was no need for the dam in the first place, because area that have not experienced flooding before are now even experiencing it.

Irrigation, how Much of agricultural activity has this dam supported, infact it might even counter productive now that most of their farm lands may have been flooded

1 Like

(1) (2) (3) (Reply)

Branded Presidential Campaign Buses Of Godwin Emefiele Surface Online (Photos) / 2023: I’m Fully With Tinubu - El-Rufai / Emmanuel Asuquo Shot Dead In Akwa Ibom State. Graphic Photos

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 36
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.