Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,154,755 members, 7,824,163 topics. Date: Saturday, 11 May 2024 at 01:47 AM

General Ironsi And Lt Colonel Fajuyi The Day Before They Were Killed (Photo) - Politics (10) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / General Ironsi And Lt Colonel Fajuyi The Day Before They Were Killed (Photo) (77787 Views)

The Palm Tree Where Ironsi, Fajuyi Were Killed • Oyo Govt To Immortalise Them / Aguiyi-Ironsi With Ojukwu, Gowon, Hassan Katsina, David Ejoor & Wey. Throwback / Boko Haram Kills Umusu, A Lt Colonel, In Borno (Photos) (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) ... (7) (8) (9) (10) (11) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: General Ironsi And Lt Colonel Fajuyi The Day Before They Were Killed (Photo) by Nobody: 9:00pm On Dec 31, 2018
Baselm:

He has more chances of winning than Ojukwu did, yet Ojukwu engaged. Ure grossly underestimating Nzeogwu.

Don't mind him. He thinks any soldier can just plot a nationwide brutal coup. Nzeogwu was militarily on another level. There will never be another Nzeogwu in Nigeria's army.

3 Likes 1 Share

Re: General Ironsi And Lt Colonel Fajuyi The Day Before They Were Killed (Photo) by Ekaka1(m): 9:02pm On Dec 31, 2018
Konquest:

^^^^^^^^^
Seeing this rare historical picture
for the first time.

The ADC to Ironsi has the Lt. Bello to
thank for making his escape possible.

Nice post! grin
Nwankwo actually ..has severally credited safety of his life to Bello...they were particularly very close friends and following the "nzeogwu coup", they had had taken oath that if any were to run into this type of situation they will protect each other especially that the killings in the north at the time was termed ethnic cleansing and the pogrom that followed almost immediately was a retaliatory action against mostly easterners in the north. Some also said that the hate as a consequence of that first coup had spread to the south west and some easterners feeling uncomfortable were beginning to leave for the east ...the military personnel of Igbo extraction also felt very threatened giving reports of how most of their kinsmen were been harrasssed , beaten up and in some cases sacked from offices in the south west....

There are various views to the happenings as I have accounted above but trust me I have read ALMOST all the civil war stories around, published...and unpublished including oral tradition from my Dad, uncles, and some elderly people across north, south, west and eastern nigeria but you will hardly come to the exact same conclusion

2 Likes 1 Share

Re: General Ironsi And Lt Colonel Fajuyi The Day Before They Were Killed (Photo) by Nobody: 9:02pm On Dec 31, 2018
schoolboij:

Where in the world do someone become prime minister without winning election?

slowpoke!

Dumbass.

1 Like

Re: General Ironsi And Lt Colonel Fajuyi The Day Before They Were Killed (Photo) by Nobody: 9:05pm On Dec 31, 2018
schoolboij:

Lol. That's the best you can offer. Dumb fool. Keep believing rubbish.

You're an obnoxious bush rat.

Heck, I don't even know why you're still chatting to me. Keep your moronic fingers off my posts.
Re: General Ironsi And Lt Colonel Fajuyi The Day Before They Were Killed (Photo) by Nobody: 9:09pm On Dec 31, 2018
winj3:

Yes, keep trying to rewrite history, some fools somewhere in IGBOLAND might believe you but we are not all stupid!

I'm not trying to exonerate Ironsi cos he's one of the many reasons Igbos are suffering today. However, Gowon outrightly caused and started the war.
Re: General Ironsi And Lt Colonel Fajuyi The Day Before They Were Killed (Photo) by Nobody: 9:14pm On Dec 31, 2018
IkonBee:

You're an obnoxious bush rat.

Heck, I don't even know why you're still chatting to me. Keep your moronic fingers off my posts.

Mumu. I can see how frustrated you are. Next time use your brain before believing rubbish.
Re: General Ironsi And Lt Colonel Fajuyi The Day Before They Were Killed (Photo) by Nobody: 9:17pm On Dec 31, 2018
superlightning:

he didn't spare the coup plotters, he jailed them while they awaited trial proceedings. some sections of the country like the press media and formidable student unions at the time actually hailed them as revolutionists, so it was a tricky situation.

what the northerners wanted was a speedy execution. Ironsi disagreed. he promoted northern military officers to envying heights and even had some as his confidant.

Fck, these people can't read.

Ironsi did everything to pacify the northerners. He placed them in higher positions - heck, his ADC was even a northerner.

However, all those was a mistake. He would have faced them tit for tat.
Re: General Ironsi And Lt Colonel Fajuyi The Day Before They Were Killed (Photo) by Nobody: 9:18pm On Dec 31, 2018
schoolboij:

Mumu. I can see how frustrated you are. Next time use your brain before believing rubbish.

Gay arse stark illiterate. Keep your homoerotic fingers and fantasies off my posts.
Re: General Ironsi And Lt Colonel Fajuyi The Day Before They Were Killed (Photo) by greenprince(m): 9:27pm On Dec 31, 2018
Konquest:

^^^^^^^^^
Seeing this rare historical picture
for the first time.

The ADC to Ironsi has the Lt. Bello to
thank for making his escape possible.

Nice post! grin

He openly wrote about it. It was all planned by Lt Bello even the night before. I guess they were coursemates or so

1 Like 1 Share

Re: General Ironsi And Lt Colonel Fajuyi The Day Before They Were Killed (Photo) by Nobody: 9:27pm On Dec 31, 2018
IkonBee:

Gay arse stark illiterate. Keep your homoerotic fingers and fantasies off my posts.

A she-male accusing me of being gay. Lol.

Stop spreading your ignorance in the blogosphere. Those tribalistic coup plotters only wanted to grab power and confirm zik's prophecy of Igbo ruling Africa. It only backfired. Ironsi was also carrying out his Igbo agenda by filling every position with igbos and not executing the coup plotters.

Saying they wanted to install awolowo is moronic.
Re: General Ironsi And Lt Colonel Fajuyi The Day Before They Were Killed (Photo) by pimper24: 9:39pm On Dec 31, 2018
gidgiddy:
On the 29th of July 1966, Major General Aguiyi-Ironsi, the Military Head of state, stopped over in Ibadan as part of a Nationwide tour. He was recieved by Lt Colonel Fajuyi who was Military Governor of the Western Region. Before this visit, Ironsi had been warned several times that Northern elements in the Nigerian Army were planning a counter-Coup to which Ironsi dismissed as 'mere rumour'. After Ironsi and Fajuyi had conducted several meeting and consultations, both men retired to Government House for the night. Early in the morning the next day, a detachment of Soldiers led by Major Theophilus Yakubu Danjuma surrounded Government house Ibadan. On sensing the danger outside, Ironsi hid his son, Thomas Ironsi, in a wardrobe before the Soldiers forced their way into Government House. Ironsi, Fajuyi, Ironsi's ADC Captain Nwankwo and Fajuyi's ADC Lt Bello were all arrested. The four men were taken to a thick forest on the outskirts of Ibadan, off Iwo road. Because Lt Bello was a Northerner, he was released while Nwankwo, Fajuyi and Ironsi were badly beaten. When Fajuyi could no longer stand on his two legs, he was gunned down. It was during the shooting of Fajuyi that Lt Bello created a distraction which helped Captain Nwankwo to escape. Thereafter, Ironsi was also executed.

As part of the Aburi agreement, Ironsi's body was later flown to the East where he was given a state burial in his hometown Umuahia. People openly chanted at Ojukwu to pull the Eastern Region out of Nigeria during the burial proceedings.

Ironsi's ADC, Captain Andrew Nwankwo, escaped from Ibadan back to the East and would later fight on the Biafran side during the war. He later became a Senator representing Ebonyi state.

Lt Bello who helped him escape died in the war

Thomas Ironsi would later become a minister under the regime of Obasunjo.

Theophilus Yakubu Danjuma who killed Ironsi would later become Chief of Army Staff. He retired from the Army in 1979 and went on to become Chairman of Nestle Nigeria. He was appointed Defence minister during the regime of Obasunjo and is today a billionaire Oil mogul.
How did this history make the front page without a source?

1 Like

Re: General Ironsi And Lt Colonel Fajuyi The Day Before They Were Killed (Photo) by Dedetwo(m): 10:30pm On Dec 31, 2018
gidgiddy:
On the 29th of July 1966, Major General Aguiyi-Ironsi, the Military Head of state, stopped over in Ibadan as part of a Nationwide tour. He was recieved by Lt Colonel Fajuyi who was Military Governor of the Western Region. Before this visit, Ironsi had been warned several times that Northern elements in the Nigerian Army were planning a counter-Coup to which Ironsi dismissed as 'mere rumour'. After Ironsi and Fajuyi had conducted several meeting and consultations, both men retired to Government House for the night. Early in the morning the next day, a detachment of Soldiers led by Major Theophilus Yakubu Danjuma surrounded Government house Ibadan. On sensing the danger outside, Ironsi hid his son, Thomas Ironsi, in a wardrobe before the Soldiers forced their way into Government House. Ironsi, Fajuyi, Ironsi's ADC Captain Nwankwo and Fajuyi's ADC Lt Bello were all arrested. The four men were taken to a thick forest on the outskirts of Ibadan, off Iwo road. Because Lt Bello was a Northerner, he was released while Nwankwo, Fajuyi and Ironsi were badly beaten. When Fajuyi could no longer stand on his two legs, he was gunned down. It was during the shooting of Fajuyi that Lt Bello created a distraction which helped Captain Nwankwo to escape. Thereafter, Ironsi was also executed.

As part of the Aburi agreement, Ironsi's body was later flown to the East where he was given a state burial in his hometown Umuahia. People openly chanted at Ojukwu to pull the Eastern Region out of Nigeria during the burial proceedings.

Ironsi's ADC, Captain Andrew Nwankwo, escaped from Ibadan back to the East and would later fight on the Biafran side during the war. He later became a Senator representing Ebonyi state.

Lt Bello who helped him escape died in the war

Thomas Ironsi would later become a minister under the regime of Obasunjo.

Theophilus Yakubu Danjuma who killed Ironsi would later become Chief of Army Staff. He retired from the Army in 1979 and went on to become Chairman of Nestle Nigeria. He was appointed Defence minister during the regime of Obasunjo and is today a billionaire Oil mogul.

Lt Sani Bello was not Lt Col Fajuiyi's ADC but army ADC of Gen. Ironsi. Flt Lt Andrew Nwankwo was Ironsi's Air Force ADC. Lt Umar was Fajuiyi's ADC. Yari.ba peeps are bent on falsifying the story of the era.

1 Like

Re: General Ironsi And Lt Colonel Fajuyi The Day Before They Were Killed (Photo) by Dedetwo(m): 10:32pm On Dec 31, 2018
kayusely70:
Fajuyi was not going to be killed but his insistence that he wont allow his c-in-c to be taken away in his presence made Danjuma took both of them away and killed them. That was undivided loyalty and heroism on the part of Francis Adekunle Fajuyi.

Please throw the above rubbish into dust bin.

1 Like

Re: General Ironsi And Lt Colonel Fajuyi The Day Before They Were Killed (Photo) by Dedetwo(m): 10:38pm On Dec 31, 2018
colestephan86:

The story has it that, the soldiers to fajuyi to hand ironsi over to them and he responded by saying he would only do that if the kill him first.

Arrant nonsense from the oily brain. Fajuiyi had no command of a doorman talk less telling the coup plotters what he, Fajuiyi wanted. Yari.ba peeps continue to have fantasies of the era in discussion.
Re: General Ironsi And Lt Colonel Fajuyi The Day Before They Were Killed (Photo) by colestephan86: 10:45pm On Dec 31, 2018
Dedetwo:

Arrant nonsense from the oily brain. Fajuiyi had no command of a doorman talk less telling the coup plotters what he, Fajuiyi wanted. Yari.ba peeps continue to have fantasies of the era in discussion.
And you are?

1 Like

Re: General Ironsi And Lt Colonel Fajuyi The Day Before They Were Killed (Photo) by Dedetwo(m): 10:48pm On Dec 31, 2018
daleehat:
Anytime I remember that TY Danjuma killed Agui Ironsin It gladden my heart and make me proud as a Jukun Man

Ironsi killed himself because he was foolishly acting like detribalized goon. I guess it was not the same TY Danjuma who spoke about Fulani herdsmen killing his people in Taraba State. He fought to enthrone Fulani the leaders of Nigeria. What a Caliphate slave.

1 Like

Re: General Ironsi And Lt Colonel Fajuyi The Day Before They Were Killed (Photo) by Baselm: 11:31pm On Dec 31, 2018
JuanDeDios:

Ojukwu could raise an army because Easterners were filled with anger over the pogroms and felt the way to sort that was to establish their homeland as an independent country - they had a cause. Let's say you people are right that Nzeogwu was the Jack Bauer of the desert. Explain how he could have raised an army in the north.
Nzeogwu was not fighting a regional war like Ojukwu, even Northerners followed him to kill the Sardauna, he was loved within the rank and file of the army including the officers. He was fighting against the terrible government and he has successfully captured Northern Nigeria and even Northern top ranking officials have pledged their allegiances after he stated his cause. The coup was initially celebrated across Nigeria until Ironsi and co bleeped up. He already took control of Kaduna, including the newly formed Nigerian air force, so technically he had more military force than Ironsi had in the south.
Re: General Ironsi And Lt Colonel Fajuyi The Day Before They Were Killed (Photo) by Nobody: 11:34pm On Dec 31, 2018
Baselm:

Nzeogwu was not fighting a regional war like Ojukwu, even Northerners followed him to kill the Sardauna, he was loved within the rank and file of the army including the officers. He was fighting against the terrible government and he has successfully captured Northern Nigeria and even Northern top ranking officials have pledged their allegiances after he stated his cause. The coup was initially celebrated across Nigeria until Ironsi and co bleeped up. He already took control of Kaduna, including the newly formed Nigerian air force, so technically he had more military force than Ironsi had in the south.

Stop blaming Ironsi. He did nothing.
Re: General Ironsi And Lt Colonel Fajuyi The Day Before They Were Killed (Photo) by Nobody: 11:45pm On Dec 31, 2018
schoolboij:

Stop spreading your ignorance in the blogosphere. Those tribalistic coup plotters only wanted to grab power and confirm zik's prophecy of Igbo ruling Africa. It only backfired. Ironsi was also carrying out his Igbo agenda by filling every position with igbos and not executing the coup plotters.

Homoerotic stark illiterate!

Mooron, Nzeogwu the major coup plotter is not even Igbo - so I wonder why you're spreading misinformation.

Tell us the positions Ironsi filled with Igbos. Many of those positions you might want to talk about - were already occupied by Igbos.

The coup was executed so to install awolowo. And, your dumbass was asking me gibberish.

Re: General Ironsi And Lt Colonel Fajuyi The Day Before They Were Killed (Photo) by superlightning: 2:58am On Jan 01, 2019
schoolboij:

your illiteracy and ignorance is appalling
Re: General Ironsi And Lt Colonel Fajuyi The Day Before They Were Killed (Photo) by perdollar(m): 4:52am On Jan 01, 2019
Fineman87:

Yes. And even during the war, northerners soldiers died more than reported. In fact, East didn't lose if you consider only Ironsi vs All northern leaders slaughtered.
u r not far from d Truth
Re: General Ironsi And Lt Colonel Fajuyi The Day Before They Were Killed (Photo) by JuanDeDios: 8:42am On Jan 01, 2019
Baselm:

Bolded is not true and Nzeogwu had no single soldier. Ok, he had six or so. I see you share Nzeogwu's delusions. His delusion was believing that since he was fighting a just cause, everyone would be on his side. I guess his background in intelligence gave him that arrogance all inteligence people have that they're free to do anything they like since they're fighting for the greater good. What he did not reckon with was the ethnic factor and the fact that his coup would end up being termed an "Ibo coup". He did not plot an Igbo coup but he carried out an Igbo coup - that's how it was seen. Nzeogwu was such a poor judge of human character he did not see how a coup carried out by officers almost entirely from the Igbo stock with victims mostly from the north and SW would be seen. And then he took control of Kaduna - which Kaduna? The coup was not welcome all over the country. What erupted in the north after the coup was seething rage - what with folks from the east bragging and singing that "Hausas are crying". Why do you think the pogroms happened? Read up on the matter. Hardly anything is true in your post - northern soldiers did not help Nzeogwu in his coup and none pledged allegiance to him. Being in Kaduna did not mean he had control of soldiers in Kaduna. You can't fight without soldiers.

1 Like

Re: General Ironsi And Lt Colonel Fajuyi The Day Before They Were Killed (Photo) by searchlight: 10:41am On Jan 01, 2019
opyzy:
Fajuyi the gallant host, he chose to die with his boss rather than see him killed under his nose. Yet some bastards will say Yoruba people are cowards angry angry
it is a known fact that Afonjas are cowards. it will remain so until you retrieve Kwara from the hands of Funalis
Re: General Ironsi And Lt Colonel Fajuyi The Day Before They Were Killed (Photo) by CloudResident(m): 10:46am On Jan 01, 2019
Buffalo2:
some of them were not even born then

Sure, even me but too bad history is being lost!
Re: General Ironsi And Lt Colonel Fajuyi The Day Before They Were Killed (Photo) by malakaimoscondo: 11:08am On Jan 01, 2019
superlightning:

he didn't spare the coup plotters, he jailed them while they awaited trial proceedings. some sections of the country like the press media and formidable student unions at the time actually hailed them as revolutionists, so it was a tricky situation.

what the northerners wanted was a speedy execution. Ironsi disagreed. he promoted northern military officers to envying heights and even had some as his confidant.

thank bro,i just learn something new.
Re: General Ironsi And Lt Colonel Fajuyi The Day Before They Were Killed (Photo) by UncleJudax(m): 11:10am On Jan 01, 2019
kayusely70:
Fajuyi was not going to be killed but his insistence that he wont allow his c-in-c to be taken away in his presence made Danjuma took both of them away and killed them. That was undivided loyalty and heroism on the part of Francis Adekunle Fajuyi.
There is no logic here. Danjuma could have just killed Ironsi, and end of the story.

This your submission is emotionally induced.
Re: General Ironsi And Lt Colonel Fajuyi The Day Before They Were Killed (Photo) by ChidiAlaigbo: 11:10am On Jan 01, 2019
LZAA:

Stop twisting fact.

Igbos had to fight that war because northerners were killing them
as part of their plan to secede but those plans were stopped by the british
After the middle belt,the hausas have the clesest r/ship with igbos compared to any other tribe
Politics grin grin apart from the prime minister slot,igbos were in charge of EVERY major sector in nigeria
Cc immhotep velocity25 DaBullIT

That's emotion.

You don't fight ANY wars until you are READY! and you have a fair chance of NOT LOSING (NB I did not say winning).
Biafra lost woefully.

1 Like

Re: General Ironsi And Lt Colonel Fajuyi The Day Before They Were Killed (Photo) by ehizario2012: 10:39pm On Jan 01, 2019
IkonBee:

Mooron, Germany was prepared ahead before the WW2 started yet, they lost.

Hitler was already prepared for offensive even before he invaded Poland.

Yeah I'm interested in this WW2 part. The smart guys here already know the genuine story of the Nigerian Civil War.

Hitler was actually not perfectly ready for WW2 but he had to start the war on that day in sept 1939 because of the following reasons:
1. Prevailing tensions his hatred/killing of Jews within Germany was already causing, and he was hellbent on bringing in the large numbers of Jews in Poland for extermination.
2. The allies, including the soviets were already speeding up preparations for the inevitable war. So Hitler had to act fast.

Hitler needed at least two years to finish the long range ballistic missiles which could impact America from Europe, but time was against him.

Anybody with a better argument can counter me.
Re: General Ironsi And Lt Colonel Fajuyi The Day Before They Were Killed (Photo) by Buffalo2(m): 11:37pm On Jan 01, 2019
Baselm:

Your account is very correct.
Thanks
Re: General Ironsi And Lt Colonel Fajuyi The Day Before They Were Killed (Photo) by Ayobami7(m): 12:22am On Jan 02, 2019
Eyaah

(1) (2) (3) ... (7) (8) (9) (10) (11) (Reply)

5G: Dino Melaye Says They Are Threatening Him / Nigeria Police Accused Of Photoshopping This Picture / Dot In A Circle: Enyinnaya Abaribe Wearing 'The Dot Nation' T-Shirt (Photos)

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 65
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.