Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,152,660 members, 7,816,692 topics. Date: Friday, 03 May 2024 at 03:26 PM

Why Did Jesus Curse The Fig Tree? - Religion (2) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Religion / Why Did Jesus Curse The Fig Tree? (24033 Views)

Overcoming Masturbation : Https://ellaspeaksweb./2016/12/01/the-fig / What Did Jesus Mean When He Said 'I AM'? / The Mystery Of Fig Tree (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Why Did Jesus Curse The Fig Tree? by Immorttal: 10:33am On Oct 09, 2016
Mazi chisosu is seeing u people in heaven oo grin
Re: Why Did Jesus Curse The Fig Tree? by Strawman: 10:34am On Oct 09, 2016
chinnyness122:
Mark 11:12-14 says,
The next day, as they were coming back from Bethany, Jesus was hungry. He saw in a distance a fig tree covered with leaves, so He went to see if He could find any figs on it. But when He came to it, he found only leaves, BECAUSE IT WAS NOT THE RIGHT TIME FOR FIGS. Jesus said to the fig tree " No one shall ever eat figs from you again!" And His disciples heard Him.

then verses 20-21 says
Early the next morning, as they walked along the road, they saw the fig tree. It was dead all the way down to its root. Peter remembered what happened and said "look, Teacher, the fig tree you cursed has died!"

So my brethren, I ask, because I am not understanding. since it wasn't time for the fig to bear fruits, was He really expecting to see some figs up there? I know every fruit and.plants have their seasons. Is there suppose to be some kinda miracle fruit up there?
Pls someone should explain plz, I want to understand.

# no hating# no cursing#
Mods pls. I need answers

If you're tired of reading troll comments, I think I can help you with your question.

@bolded part, first of all, of course it wasn't the plant's season, but let me tell you something: Fig trees bear fruit before they start to grow leaves. So on seeing "in a distance a fig tree covered with leaves", they all expected it to have produced plenty fruit already. Some plants happen to produce fruit early and before their season, it happens.

Now, for why he cursed the plant? Jesus was teaching his disciple a lesson. There's a lot of symbolism that fig tree could teach on; about faith, about "fruitless" people, about Israel as a whole etc. you've probably heard most of it. The act is simply just like your school teacher cutting off some plants, or killing an animal to bring to class and teach his students one or two things - it's normal. And it's not like the tree was someone's property or something so... wink

13 Likes 1 Share

Re: Why Did Jesus Curse The Fig Tree? by Immorttal: 10:35am On Oct 09, 2016
simplex2:
Dude was just showing off, trying to win accolades or something. Maybe he was trying to impress Mary Magdalene, who knows.
Mary magdalene had an obvious crush on Jesus. It was apparent.

7 Likes

Re: Why Did Jesus Curse The Fig Tree? by Phi001(m): 10:36am On Oct 09, 2016
wait, my father has preached about this thing before. Let me ask him.....I'm coming

1 Like

Re: Why Did Jesus Curse The Fig Tree? by adewalle1(m): 10:40am On Oct 09, 2016
D bible z meant 4 us 2 blv nt, 2b questioned...
So many questn dat can't b answered in d bible,

jesus cursed d tree coz he was hungry and disapntd dat a great tree like this z useless...
Rmba dix was same reason Essau sold his birthright to jacob...,

my broda hungry no gud 4 body! I hope sum1 can bear me withnex

4 Likes 2 Shares

Re: Why Did Jesus Curse The Fig Tree? by simplex2: 10:41am On Oct 09, 2016
Immorttal:
Mary magdalene have an obvious crush on Jesus. It was apparent.

It was obvious; those two really had it going. Who wouldn't fall for a guy that has 12 well groomed maid servants, feeds thousands of people with 5 agege bread and 2 sardines, turns water to don Simon at will and even saved her life from male customers who didn't get a blow-job from her after paying for it?

12 Likes 1 Share

Re: Why Did Jesus Curse The Fig Tree? by Freegift75: 10:41am On Oct 09, 2016
I've been vindicated! When I posted an article that Jesus died as a result of his cluelessness, people crucified me with tongue, with all manners of name calling.

It takes operating under lunatic influence to curse an innocent tree. How could that be justified?

Jesus was not the way people of today modify him. There is due season for every tree to produce fruit. But he got disappointed thinking his magic-power that multiplied 5 fishes into thousands will do same.

Jesus era was widely know for Magic generation. His magic power disappointed him and furiously cursed the tree.

Moses performed magic
Oyenusi performed margic
Prof Peller performed magic
Oyakhilome performed magic
Ayorinde performed margic
TB Josua performed magic.

They are all magicians! I have their secret at hand.

I'm waiting to see when Adeboye and Oyedepo will perform their own magics

Bunch of 419

9 Likes

Re: Why Did Jesus Curse The Fig Tree? by Nobody: 10:42am On Oct 09, 2016
emis8:
bro, its all in the scripture.
if you read the whole chapter, you'll get to hear when Peter acknowledged that the tree he cursed actually died.

Why did he curse the fig tree
1. Jesus is the creator of the world
In the beginning, all trees he created rought forth fruits in and out of season, there was always fruits for Adam and Eve to eat. As the creator, he expected that the fig should have fruits wether its his season or not. The fig should have responded to His demand at least.
Remember Jesus said, everyone of us who does not bear fruit, my father will uproot, and those of us who do bear fruits, He will trim so that we bear even much fruit.

2. He cursed the tree to teach them about Faith
when Peter acknowledged that the fig tree he cursed actually died, Jesus told them to "have faith in God"
He told them that if they have the slightest level of Faith, they can speak to a mountain to move from where it is to another place and it will happen as it happened to the fig tree.

As a Christian, if you put the little faith you received (as you got born again ) to use, nothing shall be impossible to you. You can speak to anything including money and it will answer you.

Have a glorious Sunday Service.

nice one bro

1 Like

Re: Why Did Jesus Curse The Fig Tree? by Chukzyfcb(m): 10:42am On Oct 09, 2016
Studies have shown that the fruit of the fig tree generally appears BEFORE the leaves, and, because the fruit is green it blends in with the leaves right up until it is almost ripe.
Jesus saw the leaves from afar off and expected it to have fruits but upon close inspection he couldn't find any. so he used that opportunity to teach the importance of bearing fruits in the Christendom.
Yes it may not have been the season but because the Leaves appeared on the true, it was EXPECTED of it to bear fruits, that is how a FIG tree operates.
This is why The bible let's us know we are branches and Jesus is our true vine, any if we don't bear fruit we are CUT OFF! that's the significance of the parable bro

8 Likes

Re: Why Did Jesus Curse The Fig Tree? by shotin(m): 10:42am On Oct 09, 2016
Jesus cursing the fig tree was an acted-out parable that taught the disciples that God will judge those who give an outer appearance of fruitfulness but in fact are not fruitful at all (like the Pharisees).

3 Likes 1 Share

Re: Why Did Jesus Curse The Fig Tree? by sarutobie(m): 10:42am On Oct 09, 2016
sweetcocoa:
Someone said jesus was a psycho, do you blame him with this type of feckery displayed by jesus?undecided

Jesus is not the cause of the bipolar afflictions that has been tormenting your soul..

2 Likes

Re: Why Did Jesus Curse The Fig Tree? by demsid(m): 10:43am On Oct 09, 2016
this thread is funny but I don't want to laff, because our pastor said he who laffeth at thy lord shall perish.

1 Like

Re: Why Did Jesus Curse The Fig Tree? by kazyhm(m): 10:44am On Oct 09, 2016
emis8:
if you read the whole chapter, you'll get to hear when Peter acknowledged that the tree he cursed actually died.

In the beginning, all trees he created rought forth fruits in and out of season, there was always fruits for Adam and Eve to eat. As the creator, he expected that the fig should have fruits wether its his season or not. The fig should have responded to His demand at least.
Remember Jesus said, everyone of us who does not bear fruit, my father will uproot, and those of us who do bear fruits, He will trim so that we bear even much fruit.

when Peter acknowledged that the fig tree he cursed actually died, Jesus told them to "have faith in God"
He told them that if they have the slightest level of Faith, they can speak to a mountain to move from where it is to another place and it will happen as it happened to the fig tree.

As a Christian, if you put the little faith you received (as you got born again ) to use, nothing shall be impossible to you. You can speak to anything including money and it will answer you.

did you say he "EXPECT"

I'm not understanding ?

2 Likes

Re: Why Did Jesus Curse The Fig Tree? by sweetcocoa(f): 10:45am On Oct 09, 2016
sarutobie:

Jesus is not the cause of the bipolar afflictions that has been tormenting your soul..
Well, since I'm not the one going about cursing innocent trees, I guess that tells who's really bipolar between J boy and I.grin

8 Likes

Re: Why Did Jesus Curse The Fig Tree? by shotin(m): 10:46am On Oct 09, 2016
Freegift75:
I've been vindicated! When I posted an article that Jesus died as a result of his cluelessness, people crucified me with tongue, with all manners of name calling.

It takes operating under lunatic influence to curse an innocent tree. How could that be justified?

Jesus was not the way people of today modify him. There is due season for every tree to produce fruit. But he got disappointed thinking his magic-power that multiplied 5 fishes into thousands will do same.

Jesus era was widely know for Magic generation. His magic power disappointed him and furiously curse the tree. I have only one prayer for you, may God open your inner eyes, and see the truth before its too late....

Moses performed magic
Oyenusi performed margic
Prof Peller performed magic
Oyakhilome performed magic
Ayorinde performed margic
TB Josua performed magic.

They are all magicians! I have their secret at hand.

I'm waiting to see when Adeboye and Oyedepo will perform their own magics

Bunch of 419
. I have only one prayer for you, may God open ur inner eyes and see the truth before its too late.... atheist

2 Likes

Re: Why Did Jesus Curse The Fig Tree? by chacoonder(m): 10:46am On Oct 09, 2016
emis8:

But this does not answer the Op's question in anyway,hence,it does not make any sense to me.

1 Like

Re: Why Did Jesus Curse The Fig Tree? by MuttleyLaff: 10:47am On Oct 09, 2016
chinnyness122:
[size=5pt]Mark 11:12-14 says,
The next day, as they were coming back from Bethany, Jesus was hungry. He saw in a distance a fig tree covered with leaves, so He went to see if He could find any figs on it. But when He came to it, he found only leaves, BECAUSE IT WAS NOT THE RIGHT TIME FOR FIGS. Jesus said to the fig tree " No one shall ever eat figs from you again!" And His disciples heard Him.

then verses 20-21 says
Early the next morning, as they walked along the road, they saw the fig tree. It was dead all the way down to its root. Peter remembered what happened and said "look, Teacher, the fig tree you cursed has died!"[/size]

So my brethren, I ask, because I am not understanding. since it wasn't time for the fig to bear fruits, was He really expecting to see some figs up there?
He was expecting to see fruit buds
Read below about what ''it wasn't time for the fig to bear fruits'' means and etcetera

chinnyness122:
I know every fruit and.plants have their seasons. Is there suppose to be some kinda miracle fruit up there?
Pls someone should explain plz, I want to understand
No, not some kind of miracle fruit but fruit buds that come out in the spring
Notice that, the fig tree had leaves, like as if it is protecting fruit buds
(i.e. this is what trees do with the leaves to protect fruit from birds etcetera)

Now, what ''it wasn't time for the fig to bear fruits'' means, is that:
''Dont make the mistake that the fruits have already been harvested, to mean, that is why there arent any fruits left on the tree. No.
This tree, at this time in spring, is meant to have bore fruit buds
but it hasnt and only has leaves, pretending that it bears the expected and to be seen, fruit buds

Truth be told that, what is supposed to be up there, is a teaching about bearing fruits (i.e. good and/or useful fruits)
and the consequence for not bearing such fruits in expected time and/or due season

6Then Jesus told this story: “A man planted a fig tree in his garden and came again and again to see if there was any fruit on it, but he was always disappointed.
7Finally, he said to his gardener, ‘I’ve waited three years, and there hasn’t been a single fig! Cut it down. It’s just taking up space in the garden.’
8“The gardener answered, ‘Sir, give it one more chance. Leave it another year, and I’ll give it special attention and plenty of fertilizer.
9If we get figs next year, fine. If not, then you can cut it down.’”

- Luke 13:6-8 NLT

1 Like

EHMIR:
The character of Jesus is a conflicting one..
Well that is an opinion of yours which isnt a fact
Jesus is always true to Himself

EHMIR:
I dont knw why a "harmless and peaceful" will place an eternal curse on an innocent fig tree...
It's nothing personal , just sheer pronoucement of judgment
The alternative of the tree and fruit buds being BLESSED before eating if there were to be any fruit buds at all, is to CURSE the tree for failing to provide or deliver fruit buds

EHMIR:
i mean what sin has d fig tree commintted to ve recieved such treatment?
The fig tree failed or missed the mark of not producing expected fruit buds in due season, this was worsened by keeping up appearances having leaves, as if it really did have or bear fruit buds
It ought to have been bearing a spring fruit known as profichi but it didnt

EHMIR:
Is it that Jesus is not what bible portrays him to be...somebody had better explain this
Jesus is everything the bible potrays Him to be, firm but fair and all

2 Likes

EHMIR:
this is a lame attempt at justifying Jesus' brutal act towards d innocent tree..
The tree wasnt as innocent as it looked

EHMIR:
its of general knowlege that everything ve their own seasons, including trees
You're right, as this one had 3 seasons to bear in spring, summer and winter

EHMIR:
Clearly it wasnt the season of the fig tree to bear fruits, and Jesus knw this, yet he went ahead to 'murder' the tree...
That is where you are wrong
It actually is, one of the three seasons for the fig tree to bear fruit, this particular season was to bear fruit buds
and Jesus knew this, which is why He went ahead to get rid of the fig tree that wouldnt bear fruit in due season
It is fruitless, giving no benefit and so worthless enough to gotten rid of.

EHMIR:
Pls @ d bold, i am still waiting for ur lots to move mountains
You wont be waiting if you had recognised the hyperbole in that remark

2 Likes

Re: Why Did Jesus Curse The Fig Tree? by KORLAR(m): 10:49am On Oct 09, 2016
1KINGKYLE:

The Catholic doctrine states so.Let "us"make man in our own image and likeness. Indicating many people involved in the creation story.The Catholic says that it indicates the existence of the holy Trinity I.eGod the father,God the son (Jesus) and God the holy spirit only in one God.
So, how many gods now?

1 Like

Re: Why Did Jesus Curse The Fig Tree? by Toks2008(m): 10:52am On Oct 09, 2016
chinnyness122:
Mark 11:12-14 says,

then verses 20-21 says
Early the next morning, as they walked along the road, they saw the fig tree. It was dead all the way down to its root. Peter remembered what happened and said "look, Teacher, the fig tree you cursed has died!"

So my brethren, I ask, because I am not understanding. since it wasn't time for the fig to bear fruits, was He really expecting to see some figs up there? I know every fruit and.plants have their seasons. Is there suppose to be some kinda miracle fruit up there?
Pls someone should explain plz, I want to understand.

# no hating# no cursing#
Mods pls. I need answers

As to the significance of this passage and what it means, the answer to that is again found in the chronological setting and in understanding how a fig tree is often used symbolically to represent Israel in the Scriptures.

First of all, chronologically, Jesus had just arrived at Jerusalem amid great fanfare and great expectations, but then proceeds to cleanse the Temple and curse the barren fig tree. Both had significance as to the spiritual condition of Israel. With His cleansing of the Temple and His criticism of the worship that was going on there (Matthew 21:13 ; Mark 11:17 ), Jesus was effectively denouncing Israel’s worship of God.

With the cursing of the fig tree, He was symbolically denouncing Israel as a nation and, in a sense, even denouncing unfruitful “Christians” (that is, people who profess to be Christian but have no evidence of a relationship with Christ).

The presence of a fruitful fig tree was considered to be a symbol of blessing and prosperity for the nation of Israel. Likewise, the absence or death of a fig tree would symbolize judgment and rejection.

Symbolically, the fig tree represented the spiritual deadness of Israel, who while very religious outwardly with all the sacrifices and ceremonies, were spiritually barren because of their sins.

By cleansing the Temple and cursing the fig tree, causing it to whither and die, Jesus was pronouncing His coming judgment of Israel and demonstrating His power to carry it out.

It also teaches the principle that religious profession and observance are not enough to guarantee salvation, unless there is the fruit of genuine salvation evidenced in the life of the person. James would later echo this truth when he wrote that “faith without works is dead” (James 2:26 ). The lesson of the fig tree is that we should bear spiritual fruit (Galatians 5:22-23 ), not just give an appearance of religiosity.

Hope this makes sense

1 Like 1 Share

Re: Why Did Jesus Curse The Fig Tree? by Waspy(m): 10:52am On Oct 09, 2016
Replies here tho.. ...God have mercy.
Re: Why Did Jesus Curse The Fig Tree? by Strawman: 10:53am On Oct 09, 2016
Re: Why Did Jesus Curse The Fig Tree? by KORLAR(m): 10:53am On Oct 09, 2016
MuttleyLaff:
The tree wasnt as innocent as it looked

You're right, as this one had 3 seasons to bear in spring, summer and winter

That is where you are wrong
It actually is, one of the three seasons for the fig tree to bear fruit, this particular season was to bear fruit buds
and Jesus knew this, which is why He went ahead to get rid of the fig tree that wouldnt bear fruit in due season
It is fruitless, giving no benefit and so worthless enough to gotten rid of.

You wont be waiting if you had recognised the hyperbole in that remark

In my opinion, he should have blessed the tree instead of cursing it to show his magnanimity.

3 Likes

Re: Why Did Jesus Curse The Fig Tree? by Elthugnificent(m): 10:54am On Oct 09, 2016
donhils:
Jesus didn't curse the tree per say. He just said what he said in passing and He wasn't looking at it when they were coming back the next day. You didn't say Jesus's response after Peter reminded him that the tree had died. He said have faith in God.
What Jesus tried to teach His disciples was the of you have faith, whatever you say shall come to pass because the bible says the power of life and death is in the tongue.
In conclusion, He wasn't showing off; He demonstrated His faith in God.
In you word he meant have faith and whatever you say shall come to pass.

So why didn't he simply command the tree to bear fruit, I guess that would have been a better moral lesson. And not go all gangster on the fig tree.

4 Likes 1 Share

Re: Why Did Jesus Curse The Fig Tree? by theSpark(m): 10:56am On Oct 09, 2016
All of a sudden the hypocrites are concerned about the 'innocent' tree.

3 Likes

Re: Why Did Jesus Curse The Fig Tree? by shotin(m): 10:56am On Oct 09, 2016
MuttleyLaff:
He was expecting to see fruit buds
Read below about what ''it wasn't time for the fig to bear fruits'' means and etcetera

No, not some kind of miracle fruit but fruit buds that come out in the spring
Notice that, the fig tree had leaves, like as if it is protecting fruit buds
(i.e. this is what trees do with the leaves to protect fruit from birds etcetera

Now, what ''it wasn't time for the fig to bear fruits'' means, is that:
''Dont make the mistake that the fruits have already been harvested, to mean, that is why there arent any fruits left on the tree. No.
This tree, at this time in spring, is meant to have bore fruit buds
but it hasnt and only has leaves, pretending that it bears the expected and to be seen, fruit buds

Truth be told that, what is supposed to be up there, is a teaching about bearing fruits (i.e. good and/or useful fruits)
and the consequence for not bearing such fruits in expected time and/or due season

6Then Jesus told this story: “A man planted a fig tree in his garden and came again and again to see if there was any fruit on it, but he was always disappointed.
7Finally, he said to his gardener, ‘I’ve waited three years, and there hasn’t been a single fig! Cut it down. It’s just taking up space in the garden.’
8“The gardener answered, ‘Sir, give it one more chance. Leave it another year, and I’ll give it special attention and plenty of fertilizer.

. God bless you....
Re: Why Did Jesus Curse The Fig Tree? by Nobody: 11:01am On Oct 09, 2016
EyeofHorus:
I think he was very upset with someone. He transferred his aggression to the tree so that people won't say he has 'anger issues'. cheesy

****This is my own opinion grin
maybe grin

1 Like

Re: Why Did Jesus Curse The Fig Tree? by MuttleyLaff: 11:01am On Oct 09, 2016
KORLAR:
In my opinion, he should have blessed the tree instead of cursing it to show his magnanimity.
CURSE is the opposite of BLESS
Do you bless what is worthless?
You BLESS what is worthy and CURSE what is worthless, isnt it?
You treasure what is useful and dustbin-trash what is useless, isnt it?

curse kəːs/
noun: curse; plural noun: curses; noun: the curse

1. a solemn utterance intended to invoke a supernatural power to inflict harm or punishment on someone or something

Jesus pronounced judgment on the tree (i.e. worthless not bearing fruit tree), just like as the man in Luke 13:6-8
Re: Why Did Jesus Curse The Fig Tree? by Nobody: 11:04am On Oct 09, 2016
sweetcocoa:
Someone said jesus was a psycho, do you blame him with this type of feckery displayed by jesus?undecided

hmmmm wat u saying?
Re: Why Did Jesus Curse The Fig Tree? by kazyhm(m): 11:10am On Oct 09, 2016
shotin:
Jesus cursing the fig tree was an acted-out parable that taught the disciples that God will judge those who give an outer appearance of fruitfulness but in fact are not fruitful at all (like the Pharisees).

reasonable
Re: Why Did Jesus Curse The Fig Tree? by Beetwo(m): 11:16am On Oct 09, 2016
simplex2:

It was obvious; those two really had it going. Who wouldn't fall for a guy that has 12 well groomed maid servants, feeds thousands of people with 5 agege bread and 2 sardines, turns water to don Simon at will and even saved her life from male customers who didn't get a blow-job from her after paying for it?

Walahi, I no well grin

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (Reply)

Bishop Oyedepo To Establish 5,000 Churches Across The World In 2019 / You Can Never Miss Heaven If You Understand These Three Simple Facts. / Landlady Holds Special Thanksgiving For Her Tenants Who Put To Bed.

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 97
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.