Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,152,498 members, 7,816,187 topics. Date: Friday, 03 May 2024 at 07:16 AM

Why Did Jesus Curse The Fig Tree? - Religion (3) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Religion / Why Did Jesus Curse The Fig Tree? (24029 Views)

Overcoming Masturbation : Https://ellaspeaksweb./2016/12/01/the-fig / What Did Jesus Mean When He Said 'I AM'? / The Mystery Of Fig Tree (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Why Did Jesus Curse The Fig Tree? by Nobody: 11:19am On Oct 09, 2016
Because neither the fig tree nor Jesus existed.

It was merely a story fabricated by the fraudulent & drunk Roman Catholic founding fathers to brainwash the masses - and guess what? The assholes did a very good job. grin cheesy grin

5 Likes 2 Shares

Re: Why Did Jesus Curse The Fig Tree? by ikemesit4477: 11:21am On Oct 09, 2016
emis8:
bro, its all in the scripture.
if you read the whole chapter, you'll get to hear when Peter acknowledged that the tree he cursed actually died.

Why did he curse the fig tree
1. Jesus is the creator of the world
In the beginning, all trees he created rought forth fruits in and out of season, there was always fruits for Adam and Eve to eat. As the creator, he expected that the fig should have fruits wether its his season or not. The fig should have responded to His demand at least.
Remember Jesus said, everyone of us who does not bear fruit, my father will uproot, and those of us who do bear fruits, He will trim so that we bear even much fruit.

2. He cursed the tree to teach them about Faith
when Peter acknowledged that the fig tree he cursed actually died, Jesus told them to "have faith in God"
He told them that if they have the slightest level of Faith, they can speak to a mountain to move from where it is to another place and it will happen as it happened to the fig tree.

As a Christian, if you put the little faith you received (as you got born again ) to use, nothing shall be impossible to you. You can speak to anything including money and it will answer you.

Have a glorious Sunday Service.
nice write up!
Re: Why Did Jesus Curse The Fig Tree? by danidee10(m): 11:22am On Oct 09, 2016
EHMIR:
this is a lame attempt at justifying jesus' brutal act towards d innocent tree..its of general knowlege that everything ve their own seasons,including trees.

Clearly it wasnt the season of the fig tree to bear fruits,nd jesus knw this,yet he went ahead to 'murder' the tree...

Wickedness.

Do you Even know abt brutality and murder....how many chickens, goats and sheeps have you brutalised and Murdered all in the name of Celebration and enjoyment (did they harm you in any way? Aren't they as innocent as the fig tree?)

Trying to explain to you would be like pouring water on A rock cuz you've already come to a conclusion on your mind.

1 Like

Re: Why Did Jesus Curse The Fig Tree? by mmsen: 11:25am On Oct 09, 2016
donhils:
Jesus didn't curse the tree per say. He just said what he said in passing and He wasn't looking at it when they were coming back the next day. You didn't say Jesus's response after Peter reminded him that the tree had died. He said have faith in God.
What Jesus tried to teach His disciples was the of you have faith, whatever you say shall come to pass because the bible says the power of life and death is in the tongue.
In conclusion, He wasn't showing off; He demonstrated His faith in God.

He demonstrated faith in himself by killing a defenceless tree?

1 Like

Re: Why Did Jesus Curse The Fig Tree? by KORLAR(m): 11:31am On Oct 09, 2016
MuttleyLaff:
CURSE is the opposite of BLESS
Do you bless what is worthless?
You BLESS what is worthy and CURSE what is worthless, isnt it?
You treasure what is useful and dustbin-trash what is useless, isnt it?

curse kəːs/
noun: curse; plural noun: curses; noun: the curse

1. a solemn utterance intended to invoke a supernatural power to inflict harm or punishment on someone or something

6Then Jesus told this story: “A man planted a fig tree in his garden and came again and again to see if there was any fruit on it, but he was always disappointed.
7Finally, he said to his gardener, ‘I’ve waited three years, and there hasn’t been a single fig! Cut it down. It’s just taking up space in the garden.’
8“The gardener answered, ‘Sir, give it one more chance. Leave it another year, and I’ll give it special attention and plenty of fertilizer.
9If we get figs next year, fine. If not, then you can cut it down.’”

- Luke 13:6-8 NLT

Jesus pronounced judgment on the tree (i.e. worthless not bearing fruit tree), just like as the man in Luke 13:6-8

One question, would you curse a worthless living thing to death given that you have the power to bless or curse it?
Re: Why Did Jesus Curse The Fig Tree? by PastorAIO: 11:34am On Oct 09, 2016
The way I was taught the meaning of this passage, I personally found it very racist/anti-semitic and nasty. The writer of Mark was a nasty Racist and helped to bring about 2000 years of antisemitic terrors on Jewish people.

[size=13pt]
The Fig Tree is a prophetic symbol of Israel. The Jewish people are the Fig tree. This is a symbolic passage in Mark.

In Jewish religion the Fig Tree means Jewish people. That's how they understand it when it is mentioned in their scriptures.

"I found Israel like grapes in the wilderness; I saw your fathers as the first fruits on the fig tree in its first season."
Hosea 9:10

For a nation has come up against My land, strong, and without number; his teeth are the teeth of a lion, and he has the fangs of a fierce lion. He has laid waste My vine, and ruined My fig tree Joel 1: 6 -8

So once you understand that in parables the fig tree is a symbol for the nation of Israel and the Jewish people in general then you understand what it means when Jesus comes to the Fig tree and finds that it has not fruit.

There is a penalty in prophetic speech for fig trees that do not bear fruit, or that bear nasty fruit. Check what Jeremiah has to say about them.

[/size]

Jeremiah 24:

the Lord showed me this vision: behold, two baskets of figs placed before the temple of the Lord. 2One basket had very good figs, like first-ripe figs, but the other basket had very bad figs, so bad that they could not be eaten. 3And the Lord said to me, “What do you see, Jeremiah?” I said, “Figs, the good figs very good, and the bad figs very bad, so bad that they cannot be eaten.”

4Then the word of the Lord came to me: 5“Thus says the Lord, the God of Israel: Like these good figs, so I will regard as good the exiles from Judah, whom I have sent away from this place to the land of the Chaldeans. 6I will set my eyes on them for good, and I will bring them back to this land. I will build them up, and not tear them down; I will plant them, and not pluck them up. 7I will give them a heart to know that I am the Lord, and they shall be my people and I will be their God, for they shall return to me with their whole heart.

8“But thus says the Lord: Like the bad figs that are so bad they cannot be eaten, so will I treat Zedekiah the king of Judah, his officials, the remnant of Jerusalem who remain in this land, and those who dwell in the land of Egypt. 9I will make them a horrora to all the kingdoms of the earth, to be a reproach, a byword, a taunt, and a curse in all the places where I shall drive them. 10And I will send sword, famine, and pestilence upon them, until they shall be utterly destroyed from the land that I gave to them and their fathers.”

[size=13pt] Good figs are blessed. nasty figs are despised and put through horrors.

This is basic Judaism symbolism. So when Jesus comes to the fig tree, ie when he comes to Israel, and finds that Israel does not yield it's fruit to him he curses it. Furthermore, 'no one shall eat figs from him again' is a total discrediting of Judaism and Jewish people as a part of God's plan. This sentiment comes from the assault on the Jewish faith launched by Paul and other hellenistic christians. It has led to 2000 years of revolting attacks on an innocent people. Christianity at it's very root is, it seems, a virulently racist antagonistic movement.

[/size]

chinnyness122:
Mark 11:12-14 says,
The next day, as they were coming back from Bethany, Jesus was hungry. He saw in a distance a fig tree covered with leaves, so He went to see if He could find any figs on it. But when He came to it, he found only leaves, BECAUSE IT WAS NOT THE RIGHT TIME FOR FIGS. Jesus said to the fig tree " No one shall ever eat figs from you again!" And His disciples heard Him.

then verses 20-21 says
Early the next morning, as they walked along the road, they saw the fig tree. It was dead all the way down to its root. Peter remembered what happened and said "look, Teacher, the fig tree you cursed has died!"

So my brethren, I ask, because I am not understanding. since it wasn't time for the fig to bear fruits, was He really expecting to see some figs up there? I know every fruit and.plants have their seasons. Is there suppose to be some kinda miracle fruit up there?
Pls someone should explain plz, I want to understand.

# no hating# no cursing#
Mods pls. I need answers

4 Likes 3 Shares

Re: Why Did Jesus Curse The Fig Tree? by blackteddy(m): 11:36am On Oct 09, 2016
deeabdul:

can u imagine.... Christians calling a messenger of God the creator undecided
can u imagine.... Christians calling a messenger of God the creator
he is son of God (not messenger).
not here to argue just stating fact
don't quote me coz I won't reply
Re: Why Did Jesus Curse The Fig Tree? by PastorAIO: 11:36am On Oct 09, 2016
"...unless you repent you will all likewise perish." He also spoke this parable: "A certain man had a fig tree planted in his vineyard, and he came seeking fruit on it and found none. Then he said to the keeper of his vineyard, 'Look, for three years I have come seeking fruit on this fig tree and find none. Cut it down; why does it use up the ground?' But he answered and said to him, 'Sir, let it alone this year also, until I dig around it and fertilize it. And if it bears fruit, well. But if not, after that you can cut it down.'"
-Luke Chapter 13 verse 5 -

Christians have been cutting down jews ever since then o!
Re: Why Did Jesus Curse The Fig Tree? by holyeye1989(m): 11:36am On Oct 09, 2016
The curse wasn't intentional pls. We Christians believed that Christ is God and God is Christ, I quote I am the way,the truth and the life. Noone cometh unto my father except by me.without Jesus Christ you can't see God. Me and my Father is one, whosoever sees me has seen my Father.
Re: Why Did Jesus Curse The Fig Tree? by femliany(m): 11:37am On Oct 09, 2016
That was a parable.Jesus used the fig tree to describe christians that are not producing good fruits..that is.they will be cut down and thrown into the lake of fire
Re: Why Did Jesus Curse The Fig Tree? by mangood74: 11:37am On Oct 09, 2016
God is supreme His sovereignty cannot be questioned .. He saves and at same time destroys
let us fear Him and worship Him with trembling

1 Like

Re: Why Did Jesus Curse The Fig Tree? by sukkot: 11:39am On Oct 09, 2016
this what happens when people take the bible literally, they come up with crazy comments and answers to questions like this. the bible is not a literal book. now i digress

Trees are men. men are called trees.

mark 8 vs 24 I see men as trees, walking.

and that particular man was not bringing forth any fruits meaning he was caught up in sin and not growing spiritually.

sweetcocoa

1 Like

Re: Why Did Jesus Curse The Fig Tree? by stepaz: 11:41am On Oct 09, 2016
chinnyness122:
Mark 11:12-14 says,
The next day, as they were coming back from Bethany, Jesus was hungry. He saw in a distance a fig tree covered with leaves, so He went to see if He could find any figs on it. But when He came to it, he found only leaves, BECAUSE IT WAS NOT THE RIGHT TIME FOR FIGS. Jesus said to the fig tree " No one shall ever eat figs from you again!" And His disciples heard Him.

then verses 20-21 says
Early the next morning, as they walked along the road, they saw the fig tree. It was dead all the way down to its root. Peter remembered what happened and said "look, Teacher, the fig tree you cursed has died!"

So my brethren, I ask, because I am not understanding. since it wasn't time for the fig to bear fruits, was He really expecting to see some figs up there? I know every fruit and.plants have their seasons. Is there suppose to be some kinda miracle fruit up there?
Pls someone should explain plz, I want to understand.

# no hating# no cursing#
Mods pls. I need answers
pls. Don't bring this type of question to this forum it is better you go to your spiritual director I mean your Reverend for better clarification. If you go through the response from some people in this forum you will see some conflicting response
Re: Why Did Jesus Curse The Fig Tree? by teelaw4life(m): 11:45am On Oct 09, 2016
Na which one be pre-fig again now?

2point5:
It's because the fig tree in question had not produced the "pre-figs" (somewhat edible, very young figs) that it should have borne along with the leaves. Hence, it was barren and useless. If you read about the fig tree in present day middle east, it produces pre-figs that is eaten before the eventual figs start to come!!
Re: Why Did Jesus Curse The Fig Tree? by elnino02(m): 11:45am On Oct 09, 2016
Remember he once told his disciples that " to them ill teach in parable but to u ill give understanding even of the things of heaven" so defintely it was a parable
Re: Why Did Jesus Curse The Fig Tree? by pappyjoo: 11:46am On Oct 09, 2016
While Adam and Eve were in the garden of eden,they were both naked and not ashamed because the glory of GOD covered them both.When they fell,what responded to them to cover their unclothedness was the fig.The fig hereby was used as a substitute for the glory of GOD.Please read Gen 3 v 7 and Judges 9 v 10.Here we see CHRIST cursing the fig and everything that tries to take the place of the glory of GOD.Little said more to say...........
Re: Why Did Jesus Curse The Fig Tree? by sweetcocoa(f): 11:49am On Oct 09, 2016
sukkot:
this what happens when people take the bible literally, they come up with crazy comments and answers to questions like this. the bible is not a literal book. now i digress

Trees are men. men are called trees.

mark 8 vs 24 I see men as trees, walking.

and that particular man was not bringing forth any fruits meaning he was caught up in sin and not growing spiritually.

sweetcocoa
Yea right sukkot, so jesus wanted to eat the man abi? Leave me alone this morn grin

3 Likes

Re: Why Did Jesus Curse The Fig Tree? by PastorAIO: 11:51am On Oct 09, 2016
sweetcocoa:
Yea right sukkot, so jesus wanted to eat the man abi? Leave me alone this morn grin
grin grin grin cheesy

1 Like

Re: Why Did Jesus Curse The Fig Tree? by raphieMontella: 11:53am On Oct 09, 2016
simplex2:
Dude was just showing off, trying to win accolades or something. Maybe he was trying to impress Mary Magdalene, who knows.
bad gang!
Re: Why Did Jesus Curse The Fig Tree? by sukkot: 11:53am On Oct 09, 2016
sweetcocoa:
lol nah its symbolic story. the man is not growing spiritually and he was cast out of the congregation is the message here. you have to understand that all sacred texts are written allegorically and symbolically so as to hide the messages . ALL SACRED TEXTS ARE CODED AND WRITTEN AND HIDDEN IN SYMBOLISM. these texts are written like such because the secrets of the kingdom of heaven is not given to everyone. wink
Re: Why Did Jesus Curse The Fig Tree? by Nobody: 11:54am On Oct 09, 2016
It's complicated.Three persons in one God.Trinity. The love existing between the father and the son is the holy spirit.It's a mystery.Jesus is God's word,made into flesh and dwelt among us.Because from the outset,the word was with God and the word is God and the word is Emmanuel the messiah and Christ Jesus.
Re: Why Did Jesus Curse The Fig Tree? by MuttleyLaff: 11:54am On Oct 09, 2016
KORLAR:
One question, would you curse a worthless living thing to death given that you have the power to bless or curse it?
Then God said,
"Let the earth produce vegetation: plants bearing seeds, each according to its own type,
and fruit trees bearing fruit with seeds, each according to its own type." And so it was.

- Genesis 1:11

I would curse a worthless living thing to death, especially if in due season, it is not useful, not beneficial, not positively productive and not fruitful

It will be good riddance.

The tree, as seen in Genesis 1:11 above, was already blessed, in line with,
there is an appointed time for everything, like the appointed time to pluck fruit buds from that fig tree
Re: Why Did Jesus Curse The Fig Tree? by PastorAIO: 11:56am On Oct 09, 2016
sukkot:
lol nah its symbolic story. the man is not growing spiritually and he was cast out of the congregation is the message here. you have to understand that all sacred texts are written allegorically and symbolically so as to hide the messages . ALL SACRED TEXTS ARE CODED AND WRITTEN AND HIDDEN IN SYMBOLISM. these texts are written like such because the secrets of the kingdom of heaven is not given to everyone. wink

So the question that follows is ...

Since we now know that the episode was allegorical and not an actual historical event that happened ...

How much more of the gospel stories are Allegories rather than Histories?

Did Jesus really calm the storm or is there something else to be learned from that story?

Did Peter walk on water or is there something else we should be learning from that story?

4 Likes

Re: Why Did Jesus Curse The Fig Tree? by vince2016(m): 12:00pm On Oct 09, 2016
KORLAR:

How's Jesus the creator of the world?

This is because everything was made by Him and there was nothing made that wasn't made by Him. Jesus Christ is God tabernacle in human body when he was o earth. He is the LIFE! Think about that. So, Jesus Christ is the creator of ALL things.
Re: Why Did Jesus Curse The Fig Tree? by PastorAIO: 12:04pm On Oct 09, 2016
Is this thread on the frontpage? Why are there so many people responding that we don't normally see in the Religion section?

If this is a frontpage tins than maybe I should just flee now.

1 Like

Re: Why Did Jesus Curse The Fig Tree? by misscall247: 12:05pm On Oct 09, 2016
EHMIR:
The chararcter of jesus is a conflicing one..

I dont knw why a "harmless nd peaceful" will place an eternal curse on an innocent fig tree...i mean what sin has d fig tree commintted to ve recieved such treatment?

Is it that jesus is not what bible portrays him to be...somebody had better explain this
Shout up.....how sure are u DAT d tree is innocent.
Re: Why Did Jesus Curse The Fig Tree? by simplex2: 12:05pm On Oct 09, 2016
EternalBeing:
Imagine that after so much effort and time , the manufactured Computer, says "leave me, leave me I don't want to serve the purpose for which I was created!" What would u as the manufacturer do?

Imagine breaking your computer because it didn't load Microsoft excell automatically at start up, rather it booted to windows desktop just like it was programmed to do

3 Likes

Re: Why Did Jesus Curse The Fig Tree? by ogwumgbe: 12:05pm On Oct 09, 2016
EyeofHorus:
I think he was very upset with someone. He transferred his aggression to the tree so that people won't say he has 'anger issues'. cheesy

****This is my own opinion grin

You have no part in this discussion, be concerned with the affairs of Lucifer your master. This thread is for the Children of God please
Re: Why Did Jesus Curse The Fig Tree? by sukkot: 12:05pm On Oct 09, 2016
PastorAIO:

So the question that follows is ...

Since we now know that the episode was allegorical and not an actual historical event that happened ...

How much more of the gospel stories are Allegories rather than Histories?

Did Jesus really calm the storm or is there something else to be learned from that story?

Did Peter walk on water or is there something else we should be learning from that story?
[b]good question bro, how much of the gospel stories are allegories ? all of it is allegories but you have to understand that because a story is allegory does not mean it didnt happen. however it is written in a way to hide the actual people and the actual event from the public. let me give an example, the biafran war ?. its an actual event right ? now let me tell that story allegorically. i will call nigeria > joseph and i will call biafra > matthew. so here is the story > joseph was the father of matthew but matthew wanted independence from his father joseph so he fought his father but did not prevail and he couldnt leave home as he had planned to if he got his independence '. now thats what an allegory is. does matthew exist ? no. does joseph exist ? no. so the story when taken literally did not happen. but if you get behind it allegorically then you can tell it is the war of independence of biafra trying to break away from nigeria. so the event is real but the literal story is not. now for you to be able to understand the allegory and take out the real story behind it takes the spirit of GOD[/b]

now apply this concept to the story of Jesus calming the storm and walking on water. they are all allegories

3 Likes

Re: Why Did Jesus Curse The Fig Tree? by Galaxydon1(m): 12:09pm On Oct 09, 2016
emis8:
bro, its all in the scripture.
if you read the whole chapter, you'll get to hear when Peter acknowledged that the tree he cursed actually died.

Why did he curse the fig tree
1. Jesus is the creator of the world
In the beginning, all trees he created rought forth fruits in and out of season, there was always fruits for Adam and Eve to eat. As the creator, he expected that the fig should have fruits wether its his season or not. The fig should have responded to His demand at least.
Remember Jesus said, everyone of us who does not bear fruit, my father will uproot, and those of us who do bear fruits, He will trim so that we bear even much fruit.

2. He cursed the tree to teach them about Faith
when Peter acknowledged that the fig tree he cursed actually died, Jesus told them to "have faith in God"
He told them that if they have the slightest level of Faith, they can speak to a mountain to move from where it is to another place and it will happen as it happened to the fig tree.

As a Christian, if you put the little faith you received (as you got born again ) to use, nothing shall be impossible to you. You can speak to anything including money and it will answer you.

Have a glorious Sunday Service.
jesus is not the creator of the whole world. God is the creator, and jesus is the son of God.
Re: Why Did Jesus Curse The Fig Tree? by ogwumgbe: 12:09pm On Oct 09, 2016
Strawman:

If you're tired of reading troll comments, I think I can help you with your question.

@bolded part, first of all, of course it wasn't the plant's season, but let me tell you something: Fig trees bear fruit before they start to grow leaves. So on seeing "in a distance a fig tree covered with leaves", they all expected it to have produced plenty fruit already. Some plants happen to produce fruit early and before their season, it happens.

Now, for why he cursed the plant? Jesus was teaching his disciple a lesson. There's a lot of symbolism that fig tree could teach on; about faith, about "fruitless" people, about Israel as a whole etc. you've probably heard most of it. The act is simply just like your school teacher cutting off some plants, or killing an animal to bring to class and teach his students one or two things - it's normal. And it's not like the tree was someone's property or something so... wink
In addition to what you've just spoken, it is meant to teach that unfruitulness will never be tolerated by God. As we expect our farm to yield good harvest and becomes frustrated when we couldn't make a good harvest, the same way God expects us to be fruitful since we are the planting of the Lord, and we refuse to bear fruit, removing and replacing with better plant becomes God's option

1 Like

Re: Why Did Jesus Curse The Fig Tree? by ije22: 12:10pm On Oct 09, 2016
deuce07:
Now this is one question I would like answered, why curse a tree, something d Bible said yo father created, didn't he yell u trees have seasons. Oga o. Seems Jesus has some psychological problems. Na d fault of the tree?
respect ur creator so that ur days will be long

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (Reply)

William Kumuyi Celebrates His 74th Birthday Today / Friends Mourn Lady Who Died In Uyo Church Collapse / Bishop Oyedepo To Establish 5,000 Churches Across The World In 2019

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 86
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.