Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,152,575 members, 7,816,420 topics. Date: Friday, 03 May 2024 at 10:57 AM

Why Did Jesus Curse The Fig Tree? - Religion (8) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Religion / Why Did Jesus Curse The Fig Tree? (24031 Views)

Overcoming Masturbation : Https://ellaspeaksweb./2016/12/01/the-fig / What Did Jesus Mean When He Said 'I AM'? / The Mystery Of Fig Tree (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) ... (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Why Did Jesus Curse The Fig Tree? by Sexiestprince(m): 7:11pm On Oct 09, 2016
Please dont be misled!! And people should be very careful the way they make blasphemous statements against JESUS. Even if you don't believe in JESUS, accord him some respect and don't mistakenly or carelessly utter things that could turn against you later.

To answer the question that comes with this topic:
JESUS caused a fig tree without fruits with full knowledge that it wasn't its fruit season.
HE did that to explain to us that we are ought to be fruitful at all times.
Irrespective of time, season, place, we as children of GOD should prosper, excel and be fruitful in and out of season.
we serve a GOD that is not a respecter of Season!!!

Even though it was not the time for the fig tree to bear fruits, JESUS expected to meet fruits on the tree to teach us that GOD doesn't respect protocols when HE wants to bless you and I. HE breaks protocols to favour whoever HE chooses to.

JESUS healed a sick person on Sabbath day and the Pharisees came after HIM.

So brothers and Sisters, JESUS used the fig tree to teach us that HIS will is that we prosper and be Fruitful at all times regardless of Season, age, time or place.
GOD bless u all.
Re: Why Did Jesus Curse The Fig Tree? by Arjeeni: 7:15pm On Oct 09, 2016
See how Christians are struggling to to right the wrong that was very clear.
From this verse of Bible the following are true about christ.
- Jesus can never be God nor son of God
- He has no knowledge of unseen and limited knowledge about seen
- He was not a unique to other human beings save prophethood and mode of his birth.
- Many of this kind heresy were blatant lies and Christians can not do anything about it other than seize to be Christians.
- Further effect of covering the truth by Christians will open another mess that they can never have a solution for.
- Don't call me names I am just telling the truth.
Re: Why Did Jesus Curse The Fig Tree? by ebenholer(m): 7:16pm On Oct 09, 2016
bbjummy:

I don't understand the spiritual interpretation you are attaching to it cos the bible was clear on the season of productivity.
Well it has many spiritual interpretations that can only be known by those with spiritual eyesight. Bible is not a literary book that can be interpreted using wisdom of men.
Re: Why Did Jesus Curse The Fig Tree? by ebenholer(m): 7:29pm On Oct 09, 2016
Arjeeni:
See how Christians are struggling to to right the wrong that was very clear.
From this verse of Bible the following are true about christ.
- Jesus can never be God nor son of God
- He has no knowledge of unseen and limited knowledge about seen
- He was not a unique to other human beings save prophethood and mode of his birth.
- Many of this kind heresy were blatant lies and Christians can not do anything about it other than seize to be Christians.
- Further effect of covering the truth by Christians will open another mess that they can never have a solution for.
- Don't call me names I am just telling the truth.
Well, to genuine Christian is not to argue unnecessarily. We believe in Christ revealing Himself to u, so that u can as well turn to Gospel fanatics like Bro Paul. To us is to pray for u bro... I do not insult u nor will I expect insultive response pls. Thanks
Re: Why Did Jesus Curse The Fig Tree? by sweetcocoa(f): 8:01pm On Oct 09, 2016
sukkot:
[b]well like i said its only the priest class who will know the secrets. not everyone in heaven knows the secrets or else there will not be heirachy. so doesnt mean you will not make heaven if you dont know the secrets. it just means maybe you will not be in the priest class. its like ancient egypt or atlantis ? only the priest class knew all the secrets. its like america and england ? only the illuminated elites know all the secrets which is why they have private freemasonic lodges to hide the secrets. in the running of the world there will always be an illuminated priest class and then everyone else. thats how the universe is set up. point being there is heirachy in heaven and just cuz you dont know the secrets of the bible does not mean you will not be in the kingdom. however to make it to heaven your deeds have to be acceptable. its like the saying ' do unto others what you want them to do to you '. therein lies all the requirement. nobody wants anyone doing evil to them or stealing from them or etc etc so dont do it to others and only then will heaven be established on earth. its all about your deeds and the deeds are programmed in you. you dont need a bible to tell you when you are doing wrong[/b] wink
Darn it! Sukkot, I can't deal. grin grin
Re: Why Did Jesus Curse The Fig Tree? by sukkot: 8:06pm On Oct 09, 2016
sweetcocoa:
Darn it! Sukkot, I can't deal. grin grin
hahaha so be it lol wink
Re: Why Did Jesus Curse The Fig Tree? by sweetcocoa(f): 8:15pm On Oct 09, 2016
Sexiestprince:
Please dont be misled!! And people should be very careful the way they make blasphemous statements against JESUS. Even if you don't believe in JESUS, accord him some respect and don't mistakenly or carelessly utter things that could turn against you later.

To answer the question that comes with this topic:
JESUS caused a fig tree without fruits with full knowledge that it wasn't its fruit season.
HE did that to explain to us that we are ought to be fruitful at all times.
Irrespective of time, season, place, we as children of GOD should prosper, excel and be fruitful in and out of season.
we serve a GOD that is not a respecter of Season!!!

Even though it was not the time for the fig tree to bear fruits, JESUS expected to meet fruits on the tree to teach us that GOD doesn't respect protocols when HE wants to bless you and I. HE breaks protocols to favour whoever HE chooses to.

JESUS healed a sick person on Sabbath day and the Pharisees came after HIM.

So brothers and Sisters, JESUS used the fig tree to teach us that HIS will is that we prosper and be Fruitful at all times regardless of Season, age, time or place.
GOD bless u all.
How do you people think it's okay to give this sort of explanation and be very confident about it, hmm, na wa o.

So he made seasons but somehow isn't a respecter of it, yet he insisted that there's a time for everything? I just don't get it, this fig wasn't meant to bear fruit at the time for crying out loud, how reasonable is it to demand or expect it to bear fruit, when you were the one that programmed it that way to even start with? Jesus dey smoke cocaine? grin
Re: Why Did Jesus Curse The Fig Tree? by MuttleyLaff: 9:06pm On Oct 09, 2016
KORLAR:
He could have commanded the tree to bear fruits though since he had the power.
It will be an abuse of power to command the tree which is beyond redemption to bear fruits
Jesus, being omniscient, could see that the tree is too bad to be saved
The fate of the tree was decided after careful thought

It will be a travesty to think the lesson and objective in the fig tree narrative should be about a lesser power show of commanding the tree to bear fruit,
when in actual fact, the fig-tree narrative really is about, proof of possessing a higher power of carrying out justice
and judging over everything and every one (i.e. the Power of Judgement)

Incidentally this exercising of the Power of Judgement, proved to be prophetic,
as Jesus' words to the fig-tree predicted what will happen in the future, to the beyond redemption tree
- a basic principle of justice, is that it should be delivered without delay
and according to Peter, in less than 24 hours, the tree truly had become dry and shrivelled.

The objective in the narrative is served as an example of the judgement and fate each at the appointed time will face, if or when found wanting

The fig tree fell short of an expected just behaviour to bear fruit when in season
Justice delayed is justice denied, and the hungry will be the biggest losers.
seguun:
So are you saying a woman who is suffering from barrenness and she's now growing old... has no place in your own creed and should be cursed?
SMH, no I did not say a woman who is suffering from barrenness and she's now growing old... has no place in any of God's states of affairs and should be cursed
sweetcocoa:
How do you people think it's okay to give this sort of explanation and be very confident about it, hmm, na wa o.

So he made seasons but somehow isn't a respecter of it, yet he insisted that there's a time for everything?
I just don't get it, this fig wasn't meant to bear fruit at the time for crying out loud,
how reasonable is it to demand or expect it to bear fruit, when you were the one that programmed it that way to even start with?
Jesus dey smoke cocaine? grin
You sure dont look like you got the drift

The fig tree's DNA was programmed to bear fruit buds that comes out in the spring season
this fig tree's particular fruit buds are ones called the profichi type

Notice from the narrative that, the fig tree had leaves, like as if it is protecting fruit buds
(i.e. this is what trees do with the leaves, to protect fruit from birds etcetera)

Now, what ''it wasn't time for the fig to bear fruits'' means, is that:
''Dont make the mistake that the fruits have already been harvested, to mean, that is why there arent any fruits left on the tree. No.
This tree, at this time in spring, is meant to have bore fruit buds
but it hasnt and only has leaves, pretending that it bears the expected and to be seen, fruit buds

Truth be told that, that it is a teaching about bearing fruits (i.e. good and/or useful fruits)
and the consequence for not bearing such fruits in expected time and/or due season
Re: Why Did Jesus Curse The Fig Tree? by oaroloye(m): 9:13pm On Oct 09, 2016
SHALOM!

YAHSHUA came to the Tree for Fruits, and the Tree had no fruits for HIM, so he cursed the Tree, which had FAILED to Bless HIM, the DESIGNATED LORD OF ALL THE EARTH.

In The Kingdom of Heaven, there is no such thing as "TIME FOR FRUITS."

Anything one needs is supplied by The Will of God.

YAHSHUA WAS A SPIRITUAL ENTITY, AND AS SUCH, EVERYTHING HE DID IS ACCORDING TO SPIRITUAL PRINCIPLE.

The Principle is:

"WHEN THE LORD WANTS SOMETHING FROM YOU: SUPPLY, OR DIE!"

FOOLISH people, like RICHARD DAWKINS, think that, if they met God, they would be able to talk to him as some senile old man!

Ben Stein: "If you met God in the AfterLife, what would you say to Him?"

Richard Dawkins: "BERTRAND RUSSELL was asked the same question,
and he said, that he would ask Him:

"WHY DID YOU MAKE IT SO HARD FOR US TO FIND YOU?" "

. -EXPELLED! NO INTELLIGENCE ALLOWED.

I feel very sorry for the mothers of the African Atheists who are sympathetic with that answer.

They attempted to give birth to a Human being... but... they got THIS... thing, instead...!

Creatures that think... or fail to... like that, is what allowed the rise of THE THEORY OF EVOLUTION.

I WOULD LIKE EVERYONE TO PAUSE FOR A MOMENT, AND THINK VERY HARD, VERY BRIEFLY ABOUT WHY IT WAS SO DIFFICULT FOR THE OYINBOS TO FIND GOD-!

The short answer is that the Oyinbos are the most disgusting race in the History of HISTORY!

BERTRAND RUSSELL was a BRITON, as is RICHARD DAWKINS.

The things that this one country has done to this World- when you look at the World map, you might find it hard to believe that a country THAT tiny could export so much PURE, UNDILUTED TROUBLE-!

The Oyinbos basically raped and pillaged THE WHOLE WORLD.

For one thing: there was a rush of them to Africa to KILL animals they could not eat- just so that they could boast of having killed one. They brainwashed their children to believe that THIS WAS A GOOD THING!

They raised their children to believe ROBBERY is a VALID CAREER CHOICE.

They APPROVED of their children playing "COPS AND ROBBERS," "PIRATES," and "COWBOYS AND INDIANS!"

"MUSICAL CHAIRS" teaches how to RUSH FOR RESOURCES- AT OTHERS' EXPENSE!

BERTRAND RUSSELL advocated PREEMPTIVE NUCLEAR WAR :

"Before the opportunity afforded by the Atomic Monopoly is gone."

. -ATOMIC WEAPON AND THE PREVENTION OF WAR, "Bulletin of Atomic Scientists, 2/7-8, (October 1, 1946,)

They did Apartheid, while plundering Colony resources.

OPERATION AJAX: was a joint USA/UK Covert Operation to frame the innocent Iranian Prime Minister, MOHAMMED MOSSADEGH for TERRORIST ATTACKS on his own people which THEY actually did.

So that they could depose him, and install THE SHAH, who would grant them OIL CONCESSIONS.

THEIR PEOPLE HAVE BEEN OKAY WITH THEIR GOVERNMENTS DOING THIS!

But... their greatest thinkers believe that GOD SHOULD HAVE REWARDED THAT BEHAVIOR, by MANIFESTING to THEM.

. MATTHEW 22:2-14.

2. "The Kingdom of Heaven
is like unto a certain king,
which made a marriage
for his son,
3. "And sent forth his servants
to call them that were bidden
to the wedding:
and they would not come.
4. "Again, he sent forth other servants,
saying,

'Tell them which are bidden,

"Behold, I have prepared my dinner:
my oxen and my fatlings are killed,
and all things are ready:
come unto the marriage." '

5. "But they made light of it,
and went their ways,
one to his farm,
another to his merchandise:
6. "And the remnant took his servants,
and entreated them spitefully,
and slew them.
7. "But when the king heard thereof,
he was wroth:
and he sent forth his armies,
and destroyed those murderers,
and burned up their city.
8. Then saith he to his servants,

'The wedding is ready,
but they which were bidden
were not worthy.
9. 'Go ye therefore into the highways,
and as many as ye shall find,
bid to the marriage.'

10. "So those servants went out
into the highways,
and gathered together all
as many as they found,
both bad and good:
and the wedding
was furnished with guests.
11. "And when the king came in
to see the guests,
he saw there a man
which had not on
a wedding garment:
12. "And he saith unto him,

'Friend, how camest thou in hither
not having a Wedding Garment?'

And he was speechless.
13. "Then said the king to the servants,

'Bind him hand and foot,
and take him away,
and cast him into Outer Darkness;
there shall be weeping
and gnashing of teeth.
14. 'For many are Called,
but few are Chosen.' "

. MATTHEW 25:31-46.

31. "When The Son of Man
shall come in his Glory,
and all the Holy Angels with him,
then shall he sit upon
The Throne of his Glory:
32. "And before him
shall be gathered all nations:
and he shall separate
them one from another,
as a shepherd divideth
his sheep from the goats:
33. "And he shall set the sheep
on his right hand,
but the goats on the left.
34. "Then shall the King say
unto them on his right hand,

'COME, YE BLESSED OF MY FATHER,
INHERIT THE KINGDOM
PREPARED FOR YOU
FROM THE FOUNDATION
OF THE WORLD:
35. 'FOR I WAS AN HUNGRED,
AND YE GAVE ME MEAT:
I WAS THIRSTY,
AND YE GAVE ME DRINK:
I WAS A STRANGER,
AND YE TOOK ME IN:
36. 'NAKED, AND YE CLOTHED ME:
I WAS SICK,
AND YE VISITED ME:
I WAS IN PRISON,
AND YE CAME UNTO ME.'
[color]

[color=#990000]37. Then shall the Righteous
answer him, saying,

'LORD, WHEN SAW WE THEE
AN HUNGRED,
AND FED THEE?
OR THIRSTY,
AND GAVE THEE DRINK?
38. 'WHEN SAW WE THEE
A STRANGER,
AND TOOK THEE IN?
OR NAKED,
AND CLOTHED THEE?
39. 'OR WHEN SAW WE THEE
SICK,
OR IN PRISON,
AND CAME UNTO THEE?'
[color]

[color=#990000]40. "And the King shall answer
and say unto them,

'VERILY I SAY UNTO YOU,

"INASMUCH AS YE HAVE DONE IT
UNTO ONE OF THE LEAST OF THESE
MY BRETHREN,
YE HAVE DONE IT
UNTO ME." '
[color]

[color=#990000]41. "Then shall he say also
unto them on the left hand,

'DEPART FROM ME,
YE CURSED,
INTO EVERLASTING FIRE,
PREPARED FOR THE DEVIL
AND HIS ANGELS:
42. 'FOR I WAS AN HUNGRED,
AND YE GAVE ME NO MEAT:
I WAS THIRSTY,
AND YE GAVE ME NO DRINK:
43. 'I WAS A STRANGER,
AND YE TOOK ME NOT IN:
NAKED, AND YE CLOTHED ME NOT:
SICK, AND IN PRISON,
AND YE VISITED ME NOT.'
[color]

[color=#990000]44. "Then shall they also
answer him, saying,

'LORD, WHEN SAW WE THEE
AN HUNGRED, OR ATHIRST,
OR A STRANGER, OR NAKED,
OR SICK, OR IN PRISON,
AND DID NOT MINISTER
UNTO THEE?'
[color]

[color=#990000]45. "Then shall he answer them, saying,

'VERILY I SAY UNTO YOU,

"INASMUCH AS YE DID IT NOT
TO ONE OF THE LEAST OF THESE,
YE DID IT NOT TO ME." '
[color]

[color=#990000]46. "And these shall go away
into Everlasting Punishment:
but the Righteous into Life Eternal."

WHEN GOD MANIFESTS TO MAN, HE EXPECTS TO FIND FRUITS OF RESPECT FOR HIS PRINCIPLES.

If he does not find them, He passes JUDGMENT.
Re: Why Did Jesus Curse The Fig Tree? by sweetcocoa(f): 9:20pm On Oct 09, 2016
MuttleyLaff:
You sure dont look like you got the drift

The fig tree was programmed to bear fruit buds that comes out in the spring season
this particular fig tree fruit buds are called the profichi type
Notice from the narrative that, the fig tree had leaves, like as if it is protecting fruit buds
(i.e. this is what trees do with the leaves, to protect fruit from birds etcetera)

Now, what ''it wasn't time for the fig to bear fruits'' means, is that:
''Dont make the mistake that the fruits have already been harvested, to mean, that is why there arent any fruits left on the tree. No.
This tree, at this time in spring, is meant to have bore fruit buds
but it hasnt and only has leaves, pretending that it bears the expected and to be seen, fruit buds

Truth be told that, that it is a teaching about bearing fruits (i.e. good and/or useful fruits)
and the consequence for not bearing such fruits in expected time and/or due season
was it time for the tree to bear fruit or not? I don't know why you are running around saying fruit buds and whstnot.
Re: Why Did Jesus Curse The Fig Tree? by cryptocurrency(m): 9:29pm On Oct 09, 2016
KORLAR:

In the beginning was THE WORD and THE WORD was with God and THE WORD was God.
Jesus is THE WORD. without Him, nothing made that was made.
Our God is Trinity.. GOD the father GOD the Son GOD the Holy Spirit.

How's Jesus the creator of the world?
Re: Why Did Jesus Curse The Fig Tree? by MuttleyLaff: 9:31pm On Oct 09, 2016
sweetcocoa:
was it time for the tree to bear fruit or not?
It clearly was from the narrative, time for the tree to bear fruit, which is why Jesus approached it to take, when He was hungry

sweetcocoa:
I don't know why you are running around saying fruit buds and whstnot.
You wouldnt know about fruit buds because you obviously havent learnt about the fig trees and all the different seasons of the year they bears fruit buds, which incidentally are also known as fruitlets or small fruits
Re: Why Did Jesus Curse The Fig Tree? by PastorAIO: 9:59pm On Oct 09, 2016
oxmale:
This op is an hypocrite.... The bible says Jesus "Answered and said unto it"
Meaning the fig Tree must have spoken to Jesus.
The o.p omitted that part.
may God have mercy on you
Abeg make una read mark 11:14

But Trees do speak.
Re: Why Did Jesus Curse The Fig Tree? by PastorAIO: 10:03pm On Oct 09, 2016
MuttleyLaff:
It clearly was from the narrative, time for the tree to bear fruit, which is why Jesus approached it to take, when He was hungry

You wouldnt know about fruit buds because you obviously havent learnt about the fig trees and all the different seasons of the year they bears fruit buds, which incidentally are also known as fruitlets or small fruits

So obviously the writer of that Gospel didn't know anything about fig seasons because he himself said it wasn't the season for the fig to bear fruit.

I know that you guys are now going to flout logic by claiming that 'it was NOT the season, but it was the time for the tree to bear fruit' or some such nonsense.
Re: Why Did Jesus Curse The Fig Tree? by Memyselfu2009(m): 10:05pm On Oct 09, 2016
Example simple question go hungry for a day. Then tell me how u feel when u go home d food is been delayed. it show that why Jesus was no earth he was a man a human being like me and you not a spirt.
Re: Why Did Jesus Curse The Fig Tree? by ndPeter(m): 10:15pm On Oct 09, 2016
But I wonder why he didn't instead pray that the tree should bear fruit. Since he was able to multiply bread in a short space of time.

Memyselfu2009:
Example simple question go hungry for a day. Then tell me how u feel when u go home d food is been delayed. it show that why Jesus was no earth he was a man a human being like me and you not a spirt.
Re: Why Did Jesus Curse The Fig Tree? by Maximus85(m): 10:16pm On Oct 09, 2016
emis8:
bro, its all in the scripture.
if you read the whole chapter, you'll get to hear when Peter acknowledged that the tree he cursed actually died.

Why did he curse the fig tree
1. Jesus is the creator of the world
In the beginning, all trees he created rought forth fruits in and out of season, there was always fruits for Adam and Eve to eat. As the creator, he expected that the fig should have fruits wether its his season or not. The fig should have responded to His demand at least.
Remember Jesus said, everyone of us who does not bear fruit, my father will uproot, and those of us who do bear fruits, He will trim so that we bear even much fruit.

2. He cursed the tree to teach them about Faith
when Peter acknowledged that the fig tree he cursed actually died, Jesus told them to "have faith in God"
He told them that if they have the slightest level of Faith, they can speak to a mountain to move from where it is to another place and it will happen as it happened to the fig tree.

As a Christian, if you put the little faith you received (as you got born again ) to use, nothing shall be impossible to you. You can speak to anything including money and it will answer you.

Have a glorious Sunday Service.

Pastor. Jesus is the creator of the world?

I guess the most common scripture skipped your memory.
Genesis 1:1
Re: Why Did Jesus Curse The Fig Tree? by sweetcocoa(f): 10:32pm On Oct 09, 2016
MuttleyLaff:

Smh, seriously how can't you tell that your attempt at twisting this is nothing but pathetic? How can it be time when the book of mark said it wasn't? Who is lying?
Re: Why Did Jesus Curse The Fig Tree? by MuttleyLaff: 10:46pm On Oct 09, 2016
PastorAIO:
So obviously the writer of that Gospel didn't know anything about fig seasons because he himself said it wasn't the season for the fig to bear fruit.

I know that you guys are now going to flout logic by claiming that 'it was NOT the season, but it was the time for the tree to bear fruit' or some such nonsense.
Read the excerpt below, if you really are a firm believer in logic and reason

sweetcocoa:
Smh, seriously how can't you tell that your attempt at twisting this is nothing but pathetic?
How can it be time when the book of mark said it wasn't? Who is lying?
Read the below before getting the hump or unnecessarily getting your knickers in a twist

There is a very reasonable explanation why Jesus cursed the fig tree even though it wasn’t the season for figs.
Even before the season, fig trees produce little knobs which are eaten by a passerby.

As the late renowned NT scholar F.F. Bruce noted
:

"The other miracle is the cursing of the barren fig tree (Mk. xi 12 ff.), a stumbling block to many for PastorAIO, freecocoa and the likes. They feel that it is unlike Jesus, and so someone must have misunderstood what actually happened, or turned a spoken parable into an acted miracle, or something like that.

Some, on the other hand, welcome the story because it shows that Jesus was human enough to get unreasonably annoyed on occasion. It appears, however, that a closer acquaintance with fig trees would have prevented such misunderstandings.

‘The time of the fig is not yet,’ says Mark, for it was just before Passover, about six weeks before the fully-formed fig appears. The fact that Mark adds these words shows that he knew what he was talking about.

When the fig leaves appear about the end of March, they are accompanied by a crop of small knobs, called taqsh by the Arabs, a sort of fore-runner of the real figs. These taqsh are eaten by peasants and others when hungry. They drop off before the real fig is formed. But if the leaves appear unaccompanied by taqsh, there will be no figs that year.

So it was evident to our Lord, when He turned aside to see if there were any of these taqsh on the fig-tree to assuage His hunger for the time being, that the absence of the taqsh meant that there would be no figs when the time of figs came.

For all its fair foliage, it was a fruitless and a hopeless tree."
(Bruce, Are The New Testament Documents Reliable? [Intervarsity Press; Downers Grove, Ill, fifth revised edition 1992], pp. 73-74;

Another noted Evangelical scholar Craig S. Keener makes the following observation:

"At Passover season in late March or early April, fig trees are often in leaf on the eastern side of the Mount of Olives.
At this time of year, such fig trees contained only green early figs (Arabs call them taqsh), which ripen around June but often drop off before that time, leaving only green leaves on the tree. A leafy tree lacking such early figs, however, would bear no figs at all that year,"
(Keener, A Commentary on the Gospel of Matthew [Wm. B. Eerdmans Publishing Company, July 1999], p. 504)
Re: Why Did Jesus Curse The Fig Tree? by 99Ofonagoro(m): 11:00pm On Oct 09, 2016
Mark 11:13 last words, "for the time of figs was not yet.. In this case concerning a fig tree, fig trees doesn't produce leaves without its fruits.. First part of chapter 13 - and seeing a fig tree afar off having leaves, he came, if haply he might find any thing Theron. Jesus knew that a fig tree with leaves ought to bear fruits and this particular fig tree was different in other words a " hypocrite " claiming what is originally not. So he cursed it.. Applying this to a christian life for a born again who is claiming to be for Christ and not producing fruits of the spirit is more like this fig tree, putting up a show, living a false life, like a hypocrite in God's kingdom.. I tried putting this article together according to the teaching of Andrew wommack a faith and grace minister, he has a clearer revelation on this from the holy spirit "great teacher" I urge you guys to get some of his tapes and listen to them. I'll provide a link for that
Re: Why Did Jesus Curse The Fig Tree? by kuttyfox: 11:02pm On Oct 09, 2016
This particular topic is supposed to be left for persons with rational thinking, not to some clueless christians and malicious Muslims.

Jesus Christ course the fig tree even when he knew that it is not supposed to have fruits at his own Devine understanding. Same goes to when he was asking God to wave the part where he will be treated badly and crucified on the cross, upon the fact that it was the reason of which he was sent down to earth.

So I advise everyone to watch it and talk on matters they know.
Re: Why Did Jesus Curse The Fig Tree? by 99Ofonagoro(m): 11:06pm On Oct 09, 2016
[Andrew Wommack - download mp3 audio | New Creation] is good,have a look at it! http://www.nove-stvoreni.cz/downloads-andrew-wommack
Re: Why Did Jesus Curse The Fig Tree? by Nobody: 11:18pm On Oct 09, 2016
Go back to the scriptures and check that verse again "...And Jesus answered..."
Explanation: for Jesus to have answered, it means the fig tree has either murmured or complained about an obvious reason why He(Jesus) shudnt bother it at that moment when fig wasn't ideal, and this earned the tree that curse. The disciple didn't even hear the murmur, but the curse, cos the bible said "...and the disciple heard it..."
Re: Why Did Jesus Curse The Fig Tree? by PastorAIO: 11:28pm On Oct 09, 2016
MuttleyLaff:
[size=1pt]Read the excerpt below, if you really are a firm believer in logic and reason

Read the below before getting the hump or unnecessarily getting your knickers in a twist

There is a very reasonable explanation why Jesus cursed the fig tree even though it wasn’t the season for figs.
Even before the season, fig trees produce little knobs which are eaten by a passerby.
As the late renowned NT scholar F.F. Bruce noted
:

"The other miracle is the cursing of the barren fig tree (Mk. xi 12 ff.), a stumbling block to many for PastorAIO, freecocoa and the likes. They feel that it is unlike Jesus, and so someone must have misunderstood what actually happened, or turned a spoken parable into an acted miracle, or something like that.

Some, on the other hand, welcome the story because it shows that Jesus was human enough to get unreasonably annoyed on occasion. It appears, however, that a closer acquaintance with fig trees would have prevented such misunderstandings.

‘The time of the fig is not yet,’ says Mark, for it was just before Passover, about six weeks before the fully-formed fig appears. The fact that Mark adds these words shows that he knew what he was talking about.

When the fig leaves appear about the end of March, they are accompanied by a crop of small knobs, called taqsh by the Arabs, a sort of fore-runner of the real figs. These taqsh are eaten by peasants and others when hungry. They drop off before the real fig is formed. But if the leaves appear unaccompanied by taqsh, there will be no figs that year.

So it was evident to our Lord, when He turned aside to see if there were any of these taqsh on the fig-tree to assuage His hunger for the time being, that the absence of the taqsh meant that there would be no figs when the time of figs came.

For all its fair foliage, it was a fruitless and a hopeless tree."
(Bruce, Are The New Testament Documents Reliable? [Intervarsity Press; Downers Grove, Ill, fifth revised edition 1992], pp. 73-74;

Another noted Evangelical scholar Craig S. Keener makes the following observation:

"At Passover season in late March or early April, fig trees are often in leaf on the eastern side of the Mount of Olives.
At this time of year, such fig trees contained only green early figs (Arabs call them taqsh), which ripen around June but often drop off before that time, leaving only green leaves on the tree. A leafy tree lacking such early figs, however, would bear no figs at all that year,"
(Keener, A Commentary on the Gospel of Matthew [Wm. B. Eerdmans Publishing Company, July 1999], p. 504)[/size]

What is this long convoluted nonsense?

Mark, who you say should know what he is talking about, told us the reason why he found nothing on the tree.

When he came to it, he found nothing but leaves, for it was not the season for figs.

The reason he found nothing but leaves is because it was not the due season. And furthermore, Mark made it clear that he went to the tree to seek Fruits, not some buds.

Furthermore if you look at the wider context of other parables in the gospels the find stories like this:

6Then Jesus told this parable: “A man had a fig tree that was planted in his vineyard. He went to look for fruit on it, but did not find any. 7So he said to the keeper of the vineyard, ‘Look, for the past three years I have come to search for fruit on this fig tree and haven’t found any. Therefore cut it down! Why should it use up the soil?’

This parable is almost exactly the same story as what Mark tells us was an actual event.

The parable and the history are the same story and they have been conflated.

The exact same story, but in one version it is a parable and in another version it is told like an historical event.

Ultimately the purpose of writing the story is to glean the message out of it and the message is the same. It is a reference to Israel.

2 Likes 2 Shares

Re: Why Did Jesus Curse The Fig Tree? by EyeHateGod: 11:42pm On Oct 09, 2016
PastorAIO:

Ultimately the purpose of writing the story is to glean the message out of it and the message is the same. It is a reference to Israel.
Lol i get the bible was meant to be read symbolically
Re: Why Did Jesus Curse The Fig Tree? by fridex(m): 12:07am On Oct 10, 2016
how can you tell it's not in its season. secondly no matter if it is not in it season atleast it should have fruit on it as a sign DAT it is fruitful. thirdly do you know if he came a season before he didn't meet a single fruit on it. he came another season same thing happened. when next he comes don't you think he has right to cursed such tree dat as refused to bear fruit. food for thought
Re: Why Did Jesus Curse The Fig Tree? by PastorAIO: 12:20am On Oct 10, 2016
fridex:
how can you tell it's not in its season. secondly no matter if it is not in it season atleast it should have fruit on it as a sign DAT it is fruitful. thirdly do you know if he came a season before he didn't meet a single fruit on it. he came another season same thing happened. when next he comes don't you think he has right to cursed such tree dat as refused to bear fruit. food for thought

The place wey nobody think reach na this: A whole Jesus wey take clairvoyance take see Nathaniel under the Fig tree, yet he nor fit see say no fruit dey on top Fig tree under he waka go the tree.

Unless na symbolism whereby he dey tell Nathaniel say he don't already appreciate the way Nathaniel dey practice Judaism ( I saw you under the fig tree) before he decide to invite am to be disciple.
Re: Why Did Jesus Curse The Fig Tree? by MuttleyLaff: 1:10am On Oct 10, 2016
PastorAIO:
What is this long convoluted nonsense?

Mark, who you say should know what he is talking about, told us the reason why he found nothing on the tree.

When he came to it, he found nothing but leaves, for it was not the season for figs.

The reason he found nothing but leaves is because it was not the due season. And furthermore, Mark made it clear that he went to the tree to seek Fruits, not some buds
There's nothing quite like parading your ignorance in public
and it is pathetic to read an emotional response and pontificating vile comment fuelled by your overfed ego

Did you actually read the excerpts at all?
I am very sure you're a smart person
so was it that, you didn't properly read the excerpts to understand the logic explaining taqsh and etcetera?

Go read the referenced whole two books the authors published, if you arent able to make sense of the exerpts posted here from their books

Please, next time before you start thinking of HOW to "diss" posts I submit, try to think about not being a jerk
and whilst at it, keep your uninformed polemic vain babbling to yourself

PastorAIO:
Furthermore if you look at the wider context of other parables in the gospels the find stories like this:

6Then Jesus told this parable: “A man had a fig tree that was planted in his vineyard. He went to look for fruit on it, but did not find any. 7So he said to the keeper of the vineyard, ‘Look, for the past three years I have come to search for fruit on this fig tree and haven’t found any. Therefore cut it down! Why should it use up the soil?’

This parable is almost exactly the same story as what Mark tells us was an actual event.

The parable and the history are the same story and they have been conflated.

The exact same story, but in one version it is a parable and in another version it is told like an historical event.

I am sorry but I learned nothing new from this, as I already know all this and had on this thread, in previous posts, insinuated them

The title-question of the thread is: Why Did Jesus Curse The Fig Tree?
Reiterating, the tree wasnt going to produce anything, so it was cursed and doomed

1 Like

Re: Why Did Jesus Curse The Fig Tree? by danosky91(m): 6:03am On Oct 10, 2016
Ur called prophet did worse you and i know.dnt let ur sentimental insight becloud ur sense of reasoning.no offense though.
Terye:
then I guess your Jesus was wicked. Isn't the the lord who created the tree? He should have known its not the time for it to fruit since he is the same person that created it.. Your doctrine makes no sense to me.. (No offense)... Why will God be hungry in the first place?
Re: Why Did Jesus Curse The Fig Tree? by Clementor(m): 7:11am On Oct 10, 2016
Because figs were ripe in Judea as early as the Passover. Besides, the fig tree puts forth its fruitfirst, and afterwards its leaves. Indeed, this tree, in the climate which is proper for it, has fruit on it all the year round, as I have often seen. (Adam Clarke's Commentary).
Fruit tree growers know that ordinarily a small amount of fruit ripens prior to the main crop. It is referred to as the first ripe fruit or the firstfruits. When Jesus approached the tree, it was the time of the firstfruits of figs, but it was not yet time for themain harvest.Mark 11:13 must ... Mark 11:13must mean that the particular tree on which Christ expected to find figs was barren, because it had no figs on it at all. It did not fulfill its purpose, and as any diligent orchardist would do, Jesus simply eliminated an unproductive tree, not with an ax or a saw, but by faith. Please compare Luke 13:6-9.
J

(1) (2) (3) ... (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (Reply)

Friends Mourn Lady Who Died In Uyo Church Collapse / You Can Never Miss Heaven If You Understand These Three Simple Facts. / Bishop Oyedepo To Establish 5,000 Churches Across The World In 2019

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 118
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.