Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,152,520 members, 7,816,275 topics. Date: Friday, 03 May 2024 at 08:35 AM

Why Did Jesus Curse The Fig Tree? - Religion (9) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Religion / Why Did Jesus Curse The Fig Tree? (24030 Views)

Overcoming Masturbation : Https://ellaspeaksweb./2016/12/01/the-fig / What Did Jesus Mean When He Said 'I AM'? / The Mystery Of Fig Tree (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) ... (6) (7) (8) (9) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Why Did Jesus Curse The Fig Tree? by Clementor(m): 7:22am On Oct 10, 2016
Arjeeni:
See how Christians are struggling to to right the wrong that was very clear.
From this verse of Bible the following are true about christ.
- Jesus can never be God nor son of God
- He has no knowledge of unseen and limited knowledge about seen
- He was not a unique to other human beings save prophethood and mode of his birth.
- Many of this kind heresy were blatant lies and Christians can not do anything about it other than seize to be Christians.
- Further effect of covering the truth by Christians will open another mess that they can never have a solution for.
- Don't call me names I am just telling the truth.
what truth are talking about? Even quran make references to the Holy Bible.
If you are confuse come and met the readers of the scripture.
Re: Why Did Jesus Curse The Fig Tree? by Clementor(m): 7:24am On Oct 10, 2016
Arjeeni:
See how Christians are struggling to to right the wrong that was very clear.
From this verse of Bible the following are true about christ.
- Jesus can never be God nor son of God
- He has no knowledge of unseen and limited knowledge about seen
- He was not a unique to other human beings save prophethood and mode of his birth.
- Many of this kind heresy were blatant lies and Christians can not do anything about it other than seize to be Christians.
- Further effect of covering the truth by Christians will open another mess that they can never have a solution for.
- Don't call me names I am just telling the truth.
what truth are talking about? Even quran make references to the Holy Bible.
If you are confuse come and met the readers of the scripture.
Re: Why Did Jesus Curse The Fig Tree? by kristian98(m): 7:29am On Oct 10, 2016
deeabdul:

can u imagine.... Christians calling a messenger of God the creator undecided
can u imagine.... Christians calling a messenger of God the creator
its only when you don't fully understand the bible that u make this king of statement.
In the book of genesis when God said, "let us create man in our own image and likeness" he knew what he meant by saying "US". That means they were more than one person. Since God is the creator and master of all languages, he wouldnt make such a blunder pls!
Re: Why Did Jesus Curse The Fig Tree? by Terye(m): 8:20am On Oct 10, 2016
danosky91:
Ur called prophet did worse you and i know.dnt let ur sentimental insight becloud ur sense of reasoning.no offense though.
I never said my prophet was God or Son of God.. He was a man! I wouldn't have had any problem with you if u agree that Jesus Christ (PBUH) was a man.. But to say he was God and yet, he felt hunger to the point of getting angry and cursing is not only nonsensical and illogical, but also irrational.. Your kind of reasoning is what arises when one believe in faith solely, without any deductive reasoning.. (no offense)

1 Like

Re: Why Did Jesus Curse The Fig Tree? by Terye(m): 8:45am On Oct 10, 2016
kristian98:

its only when you don't fully understand the bible that u make this king of statement.
In the book of genesis when God said, "let us create man in our own image and likeness" he knew what he meant by saying "US". That means they were more than one person. Since God is the creator and master of all languages, he wouldnt make such a blunder pls!
According to ur understanding.. But your pastor forgot to tell you that the bible was originally in Hebrew (even though Jesus Christ never spoke Hebrew), even in the Quran, Allah used We, that doesn't mean plural but exaltation.. Yes! God is the master of all languages.. That was why he revealed the gospel to Jesus Christ who spoke Aramaic.. Buh the oldest manuscript of the bible is in Hebrew.. This tells u that even Jesus didn't get to see or read it in his life time.. This explain why we have different narratives of the gospel.. I.e according to John, according to Matthew etc.. Reason we have so many interpretations resulting in hundreds of versions of bible..

Peace be unto you to ultimate meaning of peace..
Re: Why Did Jesus Curse The Fig Tree? by chinnyness122(f): 9:48am On Oct 10, 2016
Rjasan:
All this people who twist the word of God.

mark 11:14
KJV:And Jesus ANSWERED and SAID unto it, No man eat fruit of thee hereafter for ever. And his disciples heard it.

All these people who twist God's word giving room for infidels to insult God.

I pray God forgive you.

may be u should read it again with goodnews Bible
Re: Why Did Jesus Curse The Fig Tree? by chinnyness122(f): 10:07am On Oct 10, 2016
MuttleyLaff:
Read the excerpt below, if you really are a firm believer in logic and reason

Read the below before getting the hump or unnecessarily getting your knickers in a twist

There is a very reasonable explanation why Jesus cursed the fig tree even though it wasn’t the season for figs.
Even before the season, fig trees produce little knobs which are eaten by a passerby.

As the late renowned NT scholar F.F. Bruce noted
:

"The other miracle is the cursing of the barren fig tree (Mk. xi 12 ff.), a stumbling block to many for PastorAIO, freecocoa and the likes. They feel that it is unlike Jesus, and so someone must have misunderstood what actually happened, or turned a spoken parable into an acted miracle, or something like that.

Some, on the other hand, welcome the story because it shows that Jesus was human enough to get unreasonably annoyed on occasion. It appears, however, that a closer acquaintance with fig trees would have prevented such misunderstandings.

‘The time of the fig is not yet,’ says Mark, for it was just before Passover, about six weeks before the fully-formed fig appears. The fact that Mark adds these words shows that he knew what he was talking about.

When the fig leaves appear about the end of March, they are accompanied by a crop of small knobs, called taqsh by the Arabs, a sort of fore-runner of the real figs. These taqsh are eaten by peasants and others when hungry. They drop off before the real fig is formed. But if the leaves appear unaccompanied by taqsh, there will be no figs that year.

So it was evident to our Lord, when He turned aside to see if there were any of these taqsh on the fig-tree to assuage His hunger for the time being, that the absence of the taqsh meant that there would be no figs when the time of figs came.

For all its fair foliage, it was a fruitless and a hopeless tree."
(Bruce, Are The New Testament Documents Reliable? [Intervarsity Press; Downers Grove, Ill, fifth revised edition 1992], pp. 73-74;

Another noted Evangelical scholar Craig S. Keener makes the following observation:

"At Passover season in late March or early April, fig trees are often in leaf on the eastern side of the Mount of Olives.
At this time of year, such fig trees contained only green early figs (Arabs call them taqsh), which ripen around June but often drop off before that time, leaving only green leaves on the tree. A leafy tree lacking such early figs, however, would bear no figs at all that year,"
(Keener, A Commentary on the Gospel of Matthew [Wm. B. Eerdmans Publishing Company, July 1999], p. 504)

this, i think, I am understanding.
Re: Why Did Jesus Curse The Fig Tree? by Emitrix42(m): 10:16am On Oct 10, 2016
mmsen:
The Infancy Gospel of Thomas:
The only book that deals with young Jesus, it indicates that Jesus was a strong-willed child who one historian describes as "Dennis the Menace as God." The book reveals that at age five, Jesus may have killed a boy by pushing push him off a roof and then resurrected him. Perhaps too disturbing for inclusion in the Bible, this book seems to contain traditions, also known to the Koran.

mmsen:
The only book that deals with young Jesus, it indicates that Jesus was a strong-willed child who one historian describes as "Dennis the Menace as God." The book reveals that at age five, Jesus may have killed a boy by pushing push him off a roof and then resurrected him. Perhaps too disturbing for inclusion in the Bible, this book seems to contain traditions, also known to the Koran.

mmsen:

I have read it and i can oppse you, jesus never pushed the boy, he was wrongly accused by the boys parents it was the boy's playmate that pushed him and as tge parents of the boy were accusing jesus he jumped from the window and touched the boy telling him that he should arise and tell his parents that he was'nt the one that pushed and it happened. So stop spreading nonsense and keep your mouth shut! Orait!!
Re: Why Did Jesus Curse The Fig Tree? by PastorAIO: 11:08am On Oct 10, 2016
MuttleyLaff:
[size=1pt]There's nothing quite like parading your ignorance in public
and it is pathetic to read an emotional response and pontificating vile comment fuelled by your overfed ego

Did you actually read the excerpts at all?
I am very sure you're a smart person
so was it that, you didn't properly read the excerpts to understand the logic explaining taqsh and etcetera?

Go read the referenced whole two books the authors published, if you arent able to make sense of the exerpts posted here from their books

Please, next time before you start thinking of HOW to "diss" posts I submit, try to think about not being a jerk
and whilst at it, keep your uninformed polemic vain babbling to yourself

I am sorry but I learned nothing new from this, as I already know all this and had on this thread, in previous posts, insinuated them

The title-question of the thread is: Why Did Jesus Curse The Fig Tree?
Reiterating, the tree wasnt going to produce anything, so it was cursed and doomed[/size]

Nothing like a robust challenge to get a 'christian' all butt hurt.

There's nothing quite like parading your ignorance in public
and it is pathetic to read an emotional response and pontificating vile comment fuelled by your overfed ego
Lol

Read the excerpt below, if you really are a firm believer in logic and reason

Ah! Logic and Reason. Let's discuss Logic and Reason.

Logic is based on the bedrock of Mutual Exclusivity, yes or no?

The very foundations/backbone of logic is based on the belief that there are certain events that are mutually exclusive, ie They cannot both occur at the same time. For example, Light and Darkness are mutually exclusive. If the room is getting Dark it cannot be getting Light at the same time. Agreed?
If I am getting taller then I cannot be getting shorter at the same time. Agreed?

So anyone who flouts this rule of mutual exclusivity cannot be said to be a logical person. If it is a bright sunny day and MuttleyLaff insists on using a torch to see better in the dark, then Muttleylaff is not a logical person. Or at least, he is not being logical in that instance. Agreed?

Now I've seen your monicker around on NL for a few years now so I presume that you are an old timer, but I don't know how old. The thing is, many of these issues have been thrashed out on NL over the years and so if a newbie turns up and things he is delivering some fresh knowledge to the forum he may well find that he is mistaken and his information is actually very old information.

Please go and read this thread and then come back. You may be humbled a bit to find that this thing that you're parading as a newsflash has already been thorough rinsed on this forum:
https://www.nairaland.com/212658/christians-please-interpret-exposit-explain

LOL. This is a question for botanists.

Here's the answer:

"The facts connected with the fig tree are these. Toward the end of March the leaves begin to appear, and in about a week the foliage coating is complete. Coincident with this, and sometimes even before, there appears quite a crop of small knobs, not the real figs, but a kind of early forerunner. They grown to the size of green almonds, in which condition they are eaten by peasants and others when hungry. When they come to their own indefinite maturity they drop off. These precursors of the true fig are called taqsh in Palestinian Arabic. Their appearance is a harbinger of the fully formed appearance of the true fig some six weeks later. So, as Mark says, the time for figs had not yet come. But if the leaves appear without any taqsh, that is a sign that there will be no figs. Since Jesus found "nothing but leaves" - leaves without any taqsh- he knew that "it was an absolutely hopeless, fruitless fig tree" and said as much."
https://www.nairaland.com/212658/christians-please-interpret-exposit-explain#3283078

I am sorry but I learned nothing new from this, as I already know all this and had on this thread, in previous posts, insinuated them
Why are you guys always on this intellectual trip, always competing to prove who knows what more than who? Or who knew what first? Very spiritually deficient.

I'll address your taqsh excuse in my next post.

3 Likes 2 Shares

Re: Why Did Jesus Curse The Fig Tree? by PastorAIO: 12:00pm On Oct 10, 2016
MuttleyLaff:

Did you actually read the excerpts at all?
I am very sure you're a smart person
so was it that, you didn't properly read the excerpts to understand the logic explaining taqsh and etcetera?

The title-question of the thread is: Why Did Jesus Curse The Fig Tree?
Reiterating, the tree wasnt going to produce anything, so it was cursed and doomed

Let us look at Mark logically:

12On the following day, when they came from Bethany, he was hungry. 13And seeing in the distance a fig tree in leaf, he went to see if he could find anything on it. When he came to it, he found nothing but leaves, for it was not the season for figs. 14And he said to it, “May no one ever eat fruit from you again.” And his disciples heard it.

You and your gurus FF Bruce and co have sought to make a distinction in the fruits of the fig tree between the main Figs and the Taqsh hoping that that will gloss over what is glaring and staring you in your face. It is just a matter of simple English comprehension.

Mark gave the reason why there was nothing but leaves on the Tree. "For it was not the season for figs". Evoking Taqsh does not change this. Unless you want to say that the writer of Mark did not know anything about Taqsh.

Even the taqsh has it's seasons and it is not true that because there is no taqsh then there will certainly be no real figs later in the year. But put that aside for now.

Like I Said before (with sarcasm):

PastorAIO:

So obviously the writer of that Gospel didn't know anything about fig seasons because he himself said it wasn't the season for the fig to bear fruit.

I know that you guys are now going to flout logic by claiming that 'it was NOT the season, but it was the time for the tree to bear fruit' or some such nonsense.

Remember that I said, and I truly hope you agree, that Logic is based on mutual exclusivity. A tree cannot be in season and out of season at the same time. Taqsh may not be the plushest fruit that the fig tree produces but it is still a fruit of the Fig tree produced in due season.

When I read FF Bruce and people like that what I see is an apologist exercising his imagination as hard as possible wherever he feels there may be gaps in a narrative. But his imagination stops at taqsh, conveniently. He doesn't consider the possibility that the tree may have produced taqsh and other people could have gotten there before Jesus and eaten all the taqsh, so the tree was actually still good productive.
As a kid I was lucky enough to grow up in a nigeria where people's compounds were open and you could just stroll in and climb their trees looking for fruit. Sometimes you can spy a succulent fruit for weeks as it slowly matures, and you bide your time. If other kids don't get to the good fruits first you still have to contend with insects, birds, and all kinds of maggots and things that may eat the fruit before you get there. In other words, finding no fruit on a tree does not mean that a tree is unfruitful. So maybe by that late stage of the season it is hard to find taqsh on any tree.

So for all the inventive imagination , we can't get away from the fact that Mark put it directly in plain language that you can only miss if you have English comprehension deficiency disorder (ECDD).

There was no fruit because it was NOT the season for the fruit.

Then .. There is the use of the word 'again' in the passage.

14And he said to it, “May no one ever eat fruit from you again.” And his disciples heard it.

Again? So therefore people have been eating fruit from the tree before. So it was not a barren tree. Again [size=4pt](clever pun?)[/size], unless you have ECDD.

2 Likes 2 Shares

Re: Why Did Jesus Curse The Fig Tree? by Memyselfu2009(m): 12:15pm On Oct 10, 2016
ndPeter:
But I wonder why he didn't instead pray that the tree should bear fruit. Since he was able to multiply bread in a short space of time.

This same person feed up to five thousand people with 2 fish and five bread. The bible writer was trying to let you know that when Jesus was on earth he was a man like you and he felt what humans are going thru.
Re: Why Did Jesus Curse The Fig Tree? by udatso: 12:20pm On Oct 10, 2016
Lol WORDWORLD rilwayne001 Demmzy15 please come and read and lol.
Re: Why Did Jesus Curse The Fig Tree? by Nobody: 12:31pm On Oct 10, 2016
udatso:
Lol WORDWORLD rilwayne001 Demmzy15 please come and read and lol.

LIES BEGETS LIES AND MORE LIES SOME EVENTUALLY MOVE FROM GOD BECAME MAN TO ANOTHER LIE THAT GOD DOESNT EXIST. CHRISTIANITY IS THAT ROOT OF ALL INSANITY.

1 Like

Re: Why Did Jesus Curse The Fig Tree? by PastorAIO: 12:40pm On Oct 10, 2016
ndPeter:
But I wonder why he didn't instead pray that the tree should bear fruit. Since he was able to multiply bread in a short space of time.

lol. Man shall not live by bread alone na.

4 Likes 2 Shares

Re: Why Did Jesus Curse The Fig Tree? by danosky91(m): 5:41pm On Oct 10, 2016
Terye:
I never said my prophet was God or Son of God.. He was a man! I wouldn't have had any problem with you if u agree that Jesus Christ (PBUH) was a man.. But to say he was God and yet, he felt hunger to the point of getting angry and cursing is not only nonsensical and illogical, but also irrational.. Your kind of reasoning is what arises when one believe in faith solely, without any deductive reasoning.. (no offense)
k
Re: Why Did Jesus Curse The Fig Tree? by Kobojunkie: 5:19am On Dec 17, 2022
PastorAIO:
1. The way I was taught the meaning of this passage, I personally found it very racist/anti-semitic and nasty. The writer of Mark was a nasty Racist and helped to bring about 2000 years of antisemitic terrors on Jewish people.

2. The Fig Tree is a prophetic symbol of Israel. The Jewish people are the Fig tree. This is a symbolic passage in Mark. In Jewish religion the Fig Tree means Jewish people. That's how they understand it when it is mentioned in their scriptures. So once you understand that in parables the fig tree is a symbol for the nation of Israel and the Jewish people in general then you understand what it means when Jesus comes to the Fig tree and finds that it has not fruit.

3. Good figs are blessed. nasty figs are despised and put through horrors. This is basic Judaism symbolism. So when Jesus comes to the fig tree, ie when he comes to Israel, and finds that Israel does not yield it's fruit to him he curses it. Furthermore, 'no one shall eat figs from him again' is a total discrediting of Judaism and Jewish people as a part of God's plan.

4. This sentiment comes from the assault on the Jewish faith launched by Paul and other hellenistic christians. It has led to 2000 years of revolting attacks on an innocent people. Christianity at it's very root is, it seems, a virulently racist antagonistic movement.
1. Why in the world is the writer of the Gospel according to Mark a nasty racist for writing that which even the writer of the Gospel according to Matthew - Matthew 21 vs 18 - 20? The author of the Gospel according to Luke also included a parable about a fig tree that was cut down for not bearing fruit. Is that equally racist in your view - Luke 13 vs 6 - 9 ? undecided

2. The link to Israel, Judah, and the vine and fig tree is not in question. The accounts in Mark 11 vs 12 - 14 & Matthew 21 vs 18 - 20 weren't recorded as a parable but as actual happenings. And in Luke 13 vs 1 - 9, Jesus Christ outright declared to the people of the Nation of Judea that if they do not repent, they would all be destroyed --- the Nation of Israel had already faced God's judgment long before this particular point in time. undecided

3. There is a lot more to this than mere symbolism as you continue to insist. First, Jesus Christ wasn't responsible for the cursing of Israel or Judea -- He instead served as a messenger in this in much the same way as the other prophets before Him. Yes, he cursed the actual fig tree — a symbolic act to illustrate the impending fate of the city or Jerusalem — but the one who in fact cursed the city was God and this message came through the prophets even Jesus Christ. Daniel is one of them. Second, Jesus Christ did not discredit Judaism and the Jewish people(Nation of Judea) by His warning to them. Judaism was never of God from its beginning — God gave the people of Israel a National Constitution in the Land of Canaan, but they chose to worship Idols in the form of Judaism. Suggesting Jesus Christ discredited it as part of God's plan is to suggest it had God's respect in the first place — It never had that since it was idolatrous from its beginning. Third, God Himself railed against the people of Judah for this very thing in Jeremiah 8 vs 1 - 22; Jesus Christ knew this well. Fourth, the Jewish people had turned to worship idols and lies, which was against God, and God warned them of destruction to come if they continued along that path. Israel had received similar warnings from God right before God scattered the people to all four corners of the earth. So, the background to all of this is much more than symbolism. undecided

4. This just makes no sense. I am not even a fan of Paul and the religion that men have chosen to build around his person but why in the world is he to blame for the destruction of Jerusalem, and eventually the downfall of the Nation of Judea which began in the first century? undecided
Re: Why Did Jesus Curse The Fig Tree? by Kobojunkie: 5:47am On Dec 17, 2022
chinnyness122:
So my brethren, I ask, because I am not understanding. since it wasn't time for the fig to bear fruits, was He really expecting to see some figs up there? I know every fruit and.plants have their seasons. Is there suppose to be some kinda miracle fruit up there?
Pls someone should explain plz, I want to understand.
The cursing of the fig tree by Jesus Christ was symbolic of the eventual destruction that awaited the Nation of Judea if they refused to turn away from their sins. If you have ever read through the books of the Prophets, you will note that God used symbolism to demonstrate what would happen if they refused to repent of their wicked ways. God used this method of communication through His many prophets. Examples of such acts are recorded in the books of Ezekiel, Hosea, Isaiah, Jeremiah, etc. undecided

Now, it is important to note that by performing these acts, the prophets themselves are in no way responsible for the doom to come. Instead, they are messengers conveying God's message to the people. So Jesus Christ did when He cursed the fig tree; He conveyed God's warning to the people of Judea which was that God's judgment was almost upon them. God had previously warned the people of the Nation of Judah to repent or suffer destruction - Jeremiah 8 vs 1- 22 & Daniel 11. Jesus Christ's act, along with His several warnings - Matthew 24 & Mark 13 & Luke 13 vs 1- 9 were all warnings meant for the Nation of Judah. undecided

(1) (2) (3) ... (6) (7) (8) (9) (Reply)

Friends Mourn Lady Who Died In Uyo Church Collapse / Bishop Oyedepo To Establish 5,000 Churches Across The World In 2019 / Landlady Holds Special Thanksgiving For Her Tenants Who Put To Bed.

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 78
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.