Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,151,337 members, 7,811,978 topics. Date: Monday, 29 April 2024 at 04:09 AM

Nigeria Female National Teams' Thread - Sports (1006) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Entertainment / Sports / Nigeria Female National Teams' Thread (796498 Views)

NFF, Nike Set To Unveil New Kits For National Teams / Meet Chinyelu Asher Who Leads Jamaican Female National Team / Nigerian Coaches Who Have Coached Foreign Clubs And National Teams (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) ... (1003) (1004) (1005) (1006) (1007) (1008) (1009) ... (1069) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Nigeria Female National Teams' Thread by isan(m): 6:04pm On Feb 26
When last you watch south africa play ? undecided
dankorode:
wahala dey oo,shey na like this we go face this rampant south Africa?
Re: Nigeria Female National Teams' Thread by solonnachi: 6:05pm On Feb 26
Deltamani:
CAF Women's Olympic Qualifying

Nigeria advance to face very likely South Africa who survive a last gasp onslaught from Cameroun 🇨🇲

Result Nigeria 🇳🇬 1-0 Cameroun 🇨🇲
Esther Okoronkwo 15
Agg 1-0

Is Okoronkwo's injury serious?
Re: Nigeria Female National Teams' Thread by lovewins: 6:07pm On Feb 26
Thoughts

Before the game began, I expressed my opinion on the formation Randy used. While I believe it provided us a better option offensively, I noticed in the last game it allowed Cameroon dominate the middle. Exactly the same thing happened today.

I however think it isn't a formation problem but a personnel problem. The combination of Uchiebe, Abiodun and JOE doesn't seem to work ok the defensive end. Maybe with tweak the formation a bit with Abiodun and Ayinde or ask that Ajibade drops deeper to help in the middle. Or maybe it happened cause we ate playing a physical team in Cameroon.

2 Likes

Re: Nigeria Female National Teams' Thread by solonnachi: 6:10pm On Feb 26
This team has to camp early and play together before we face South Africa.

4 Likes

Re: Nigeria Female National Teams' Thread by daveP(m): 6:10pm On Feb 26
That red card doesn't change the fact that this was a terrible game. Smh.

Oshoala go wan dey shot Lagos geh fight instead of doing the talking on the pitch. E don pass the standing up for teammates abeg.

This formation no work. I hope Ohale and Esther injury is not serious sha.

3 Likes

Re: Nigeria Female National Teams' Thread by GeneralDae: 6:11pm On Feb 26
lovewins:
Thoughts

Before the game began, I expressed my opinion on the formation Randy used. While I believe it provided us a better option offensively, I noticed in the last game it allowed Cameroon dominate the middle. Exactly the same thing happened today.

I however think it isn't a formation problem but a personnel problem. The combination of Uchiebe, Abiodun and JOE doesn't seem to work ok the defensive end. Maybe with tweak the formation a bit with Abiodun and Ayinde or ask that Ajibade drops deeper to help in the middle. Or maybe it happened cause we ate playing a physical team in Cameroon.
I'm not even worried about that because Cameroon is of course a very physical side. But I think we need to scout for at least one good attacking midfielder and another striker.
Re: Nigeria Female National Teams' Thread by GeneralDae: 6:13pm On Feb 26
daveP:

Oshoala go wan dey shot Lagos geh fight instead of doing the talking on the pitch. E don pass the standing up for teammates abeg.

Hopefully both of them go don recover before April. The sun and terrible pitch (though not excuses) can slow down these foreign borns. Cameroon are mostly home based players, so they adapted well.

3 Likes

Re: Nigeria Female National Teams' Thread by Deltamani: 6:13pm On Feb 26
GeneralDae:

I'm not even worried about that because Cameroon is of course a very physical side. But I think we need to scout for at least one good attacking midfielder and another striker.

And you guys didn’t see that Uchenna Kanu is trash today… She was literally a waste of Substitution

2 Likes

Re: Nigeria Female National Teams' Thread by Deltamani: 6:14pm On Feb 26
lovewins:
Thoughts

You seems to forget that this is Echegini first time of Playing in Nigeria ahbi… She was pretty okay in first half but seems to lose it all in the second half..

1 Like

Re: Nigeria Female National Teams' Thread by Ekaka14: 6:18pm On Feb 26
daveP:

Who dem show red?
Re: Nigeria Female National Teams' Thread by GeneralDae: 6:19pm On Feb 26
Deltamani:

And you guys didn’t see that Uchenna Kanu is trash today… She was literally a waste of Substitution
That's why I said we need very good offensive players. I can only rely on a few of them.

Esther is at least 7 times out of 10, always bright for the falcons, Oshoala remains a good forward of course, then there is Ajibade and Rinsola. Kanu even when she scored in our previous games has not been that really convincing to me in her overall play, same with Gift Monday (who is good on her day but suffers inconsistency).

We need Esther Oyenezide to develop fast in Spain and own her position as well.

2 Likes

Re: Nigeria Female National Teams' Thread by Deltamani: 6:19pm On Feb 26
If we had taken our chances… Nigeria would have won this game at least 3-4 nil…

Re: Nigeria Female National Teams' Thread by lovewins: 6:22pm On Feb 26
My take on today's Game.

1. Deborah Abiodun was my WOTM. If I were a football club I'm going all in for her. What a player.

2. Esther Okoronkwo should in my opinion he priority no 9 for the falcons till someone else makes a case. She had a good game sage for the miss. Oh and to the argument on her pace, today again proves that Esther isn't very pacy like Deltamani likes to claim.

3. JOE? What can I say? Created many chances one of which led to the goal. Even though she's not known for the physicality she still put in a good display winning a few balls for us.

4. Toni Payne was below average in my opinion, but her replacement was worse. Not sure what's going on with Kanu but she needs to get it together. Again, the signs have been there but today was just frustrating.

5. Ashleigh Plumptre put up a great display on both sides of the pitch. Her offensive runs are impressive for someone who isn't known for pace and playing out of her preferred position. She also links up well with the midfield and did quite a few 1-2 and made impressive forward passes.

6. Blessing and Ohale were sold at the back. Christy covered up well in Blessing's absence.

7. Ajibade just needs to do more. I just expect better from her cause I believe she's playing below her potentials.

8. As usual Nnadozie didn't disappoint. Was even very discerning with the "juju scare". She no gree for anybody ( I'm seriously joking).

9. Didn't see much of Rinsola today. Asisat wasn't bad as she held up okay well.

6 Likes 2 Shares

Re: Nigeria Female National Teams' Thread by Deltamani: 6:23pm On Feb 26
GeneralDae:

That's why I said we need very good offensive players. I can only rely on a few of them.

Esther is at least 7 times out of ten, always bright for the falcons, Oshoala remains a good forward of course, then there is Ajibade and Rinsola. Kanu even when she scores in our previous games has not been that really convincing to me same with Gift Monday (who is good on her day but can be inconsistent).

We need Esther Oyenezide to develop fast in Spain and own her position as well.

We really do need that 1 kind of forward who will spark up the flank with her touches, skills, pace, assists, goals and enticing football… just like Diani, Cascarino, Graham Hansen.!

If they stick to the 18players roaster for the Olympic don’t think the likes of Monday gift would have a chance..
Re: Nigeria Female National Teams' Thread by carbonado(m): 6:24pm On Feb 26
Anyone that has link for the south Africa game should post it
Re: Nigeria Female National Teams' Thread by Deltamani: 6:27pm On Feb 26
lovewins:
My take on today's Game.

1. Deborah Abiodun was my WOTM. If I were a football club I'm going all in for her. What a player.

2. Esther Okoronkwo should in my opinion he priority no 9 for the falcons till someone else makes a case. She had a good game sage for the miss. Oh and to the argument on her pace, today again proves that Esther isn't very pacy like Deltamani likes to claim.

3. JOE? What can I say? Created many chances one of which led to the goal. Even though she's not known for the physicality she still put in a good display winning a few balls for us.

4. Toni Payne was below average in my opinion, but her replacement was worse. Not sure what's going on with Kanu but she needs to get it together. Again, the signs have been there but today was just frustrating.

5. Ashleigh Plumptre put up a great display on both sides of the pitch. Her offensive runs are impressive for someone who isn't known for pace and playing out of her preferred position. She also links up well with the midfield and did quite a few 1-2 and made impressive forward passes.

6. Blessing and Ohale were sold at the back. Christy covered up well in Blessing's absence.

7. Ajibade just needs to do more. I just expect better from her cause I believe she's playing below her potentials.

8. As usual Nnadozie didn't disappoint. Was even very discerning with the "juju scare". She no gree for anybody ( I'm seriously joking).

9. Didn't see much of Rinsola today. Asisat wasn't bad as she held up okay well.

My own be say make Deborah Abiodun fit Finnish her Studies because with the way she’s playing all this Big Clubs from Europe and NWSL might give her an enticing offer which she might not be able to turn down..Debbie will definitely work into any team (Club or Country) starting 11 without waste of much time… She brings a lot to the Midfield..!

Esther Okoronkwo seems to have wrestled past Ifeoma Onumonu currently in the no.9 position. Concerning her pace she isn’t the quickest though there’s always a spark when she’s on the ball…

Maybe Coach Randy really need to give Echegini more time in the AM position… Uchenna Kanu since her move to the NWSL is gradually becoming a trash.. Payne was far better than her today!!.

Is it that Randy want to return Payne to her Right wing where she plays for her Club? If so Payne will have to do more in the Physical aspect of her game when playing against African Opponents.

2 Likes

Re: Nigeria Female National Teams' Thread by lovewins: 6:33pm On Feb 26
Thoughts 2

The very concept of having home and away games is to give the home team some form if advantage z either with playing in a terrain you understand better or getting the support of fans. Abuja fails in both.

The NFF seem to be hellbent in frustrating it's own team. First the scheduling was a disaster. Why fix today's game 3 days after the first leg when the window extends till early March? Why set up your team to fail? Same thing happened to the Super Eagles during the world cup qualifiers where we had to play 2 games in a matter to days and we drew both. Just crazy.

Secondly, the travelling plan was another disaster. The girls got into camp on Monday, a few on Tuesday. Had a midnight trip into Cameroon where they spent quite sometime in the Airport. Finished the game on Friday, but flew back into Nigeria on Sunday for a Monday game. How do you take your players through this unnecessary stress? I just don't get it.

Finally, the Abuja pitch is bad. Why take the Eagles to Uyi but force the ladies to play in Abuja? Why can't we provide the best possible conditions for us to succeed?

Really do hope the press asks the Minster of Sports as I believe he's a reasonable guy. The guys at the NFF aren't it.

4 Likes 4 Shares

Re: Nigeria Female National Teams' Thread by lovewins: 6:34pm On Feb 26
Deltamani:

My own be say make Deborah Abiodun fit Finnish her Studies because with the way she’s playing all this Big Clubs from Europe and NWSL might give her an enticing offer which she might not be able to turn down..Debbie will definitely work into any team (Club or Country) starting 11 without waste of much time… She brings a lot to the Midfield..!

I agree. Don't know what are major is but make she finish abeg.

3 Likes

Re: Nigeria Female National Teams' Thread by lovewins: 6:36pm On Feb 26
Deltamani:

We really do need that 1 kind of forward who will spark up the flank with her touches, skills, pace, assists, goals and enticing football… just like Diani, Cascarino, Graham Hansen.!

If they stick to the 18players roaster for the Olympic don’t think the likes of Monday gift would have a chance..

David Doherty say make we invite Evelyn Ijeh as she's open to playing for Nigeria. She scores 3 goals for the Swedish u23 team yesterday or so. Still not convinced about her sha cause she didn't successfully translated well in Mexico. Not sure she great in Italy too.
Re: Nigeria Female National Teams' Thread by daveP(m): 6:38pm On Feb 26
GeneralDae:

Hopefully both of them go don recover before April. The sun and terrible pitch (though not excuses) can slow down these foreign borns. Cameroon are mostly home based players, so they adapted well.

The weather can be terrible. But that pitch?? Oh boi. They really tried by keeping the ball aground. Kudos to them. Especially Ashleigh and Ajibade. I hate that officiating in women's football is getting worse. They stamped Uche and ref waved play on and called freekick Cameroon 4seconds later for a 50-50 tussle. I wish we saw the punch to Chiamaka. I hope someone in the stadium caught it on camera. Trust Nigerians to turn it to meme.

1 Like

Re: Nigeria Female National Teams' Thread by Deltamani: 6:39pm On Feb 26
lovewins:

David Doherty say make we invite Evelyn Ijeh as she's open to playing for Nigeria. She scores 3 goals for the Swedish u23 team yesterday or so. Still not convinced about her sha cause she didn't successfully translated well in Mexico. Not sure she great in Italy too.

Not convinced yet… Still need to prove more. If she is that good Sweden would have probably Capped her real quick at Senior level to keep her off Nigeria.

1 Like

Re: Nigeria Female National Teams' Thread by daveP(m): 6:41pm On Feb 26
Aniefiok should take over the official team x page abeg. She sabi this thing pass whoever is giving us primary 4 files.
Re: Nigeria Female National Teams' Thread by PDPGuy: 6:46pm On Feb 26
It’s nice that the SF are now on a 13-match unbeaten streak…

But Waldrum needs to fashion out a way to ensure that the team is DOMINATING midfield play, because honestly, for 60% of the match, the Cameroonians strolled through the middle and won most of the second balls in our own half.

That needs to change because the South Africans, even though they are way less physical than Cameroon, would punish our team if they have that much midfield freedom.

Moreover, I’m backing Echegini to start in the April matches as she was an absolute menace to the Cameroonian back line. The front three should be the trio of Babajide, Okoronkwo (if she is fit), and Ajibade; whilst the midfield trio should be Ayinde, Abiodun, and Echegini

4 Likes

Re: Nigeria Female National Teams' Thread by isan(m): 6:51pm On Feb 26
In that horrible abuja pitch the girls still managed to keep the ball on the ground especially in the first half

6 Likes 1 Share

Re: Nigeria Female National Teams' Thread by Deltamani: 7:06pm On Feb 26
PDPGuy:
It’s nice that the SF are now on a 13-match unbeaten streak…

But Waldrum needs to fashion out a way to ensure that the team is DOMINATING midfield play, because honestly, for 60% of the match, the Cameroonians strolled through the middle and won most of the second balls in our own half.

That needs to change because the South Africans, even though they are way less physical than Cameroon, would punish our team if they have that much midfield freedom.

Moreover, I’m backing Echegini to start in the April matches as she was an absolute menace to the Cameroonian back line. The front three should be the trio of Babajide, Okoronkwo (if she is fit), and Ajibade; whilst the midfield trio should be Ayinde, Abiodun, and Echegini

Where will you put Christy Ucheibe then? Cause Demehin will come back to her CB position, the coaches had to play safe because of her knee that’s why they substituted her…

Esther will be back within a Week or two..

6 Likes 1 Share

Re: Nigeria Female National Teams' Thread by Deltamani: 7:09pm On Feb 26
isan:
In that horrible abuja pitch the girls still managed to keep the ball on the ground especially in the first half

Yeah yeah.. Their ball playing was quiet okay in the first half but still need to do more, SA game will be less Physical and we have that at edge over them.. The battle will be between the Coaches tactically and how the players keep the ball..,

Echegini like staying close to the Box sha…, I no fit forget when that person say Esther Onyenezide is more Creative than Echegini.. And this is Echegini first time of playing in Nigeria…!

Again it looks like we’re the one’s playing at Home first against SA🥸
Re: Nigeria Female National Teams' Thread by yinkeys(m): 7:11pm On Feb 26
Esther Okoronkwo should be the starting number 9. She has an eye for goals, slow but decent timing
She scored away and home against Cameroon but one was canceled
They better get to camp early and clean up their mess because Bafana Bafana are no joke
They are the best team in Africa at the moment
And I believe first game will be played in Nigeria
While second in South Africa. Hopefully we get to win 2 - 0 first leg but that’s gonna be really tough
Change the venue, Abuja pitch is bad
Uyo or the pitch on Lagos island would be better
Let’s have the play closer to Nigerian fans so they can boo bafana Bafana

5 Likes

Re: Nigeria Female National Teams' Thread by PDPGuy: 7:19pm On Feb 26
Deltamani:

Where will you put Christy Ucheibe then? Cause Demehin will come back to her CB position, the coaches had to play safe because of her knee that’s why they substituted her…

Esther will be back within a Week or two..

I don’t mind having Ucheibe on the bench (yeah, I know that sounds weird) because she is a less effective passer of the ball than the three that I listed; and both Abiodun and Ayinde are sufficient to cover the defensive mid area.
However, she can always come in later in the game to shore up midfield, we are protecting a lead
Re: Nigeria Female National Teams' Thread by PDPGuy: 7:21pm On Feb 26
yinkeys:
Esther Okoronkwo should be the starting number 9. She has an eye for goals, slow but decent timing
They better get to camp early and clean up their mess because Bafana Bafana are no joke
While second in South Africa. Hopefully we get to win 2 - 0 first leg but that’s gonna be really tough

Yes oh. I don’t mind if the first leg is held at the Onikan stadium (with albeit a much smaller capacity) because LASG has done a fantastic job in maintaining the pitch
Re: Nigeria Female National Teams' Thread by Deltamani: 7:27pm On Feb 26
yinkeys:

The key to beating South Africa is quiet easy to me… Defensively they ain’t that strong. Their major asset is their Attacking Midfielder Linda Maserame Motlhalo, Mark her out… Then put eyes on their front three who can score if they gets any chance and also cutting supplies away from the Pacy Thembi it’s Finnish though they’re good with the passing game…!

The last time two times South Africa played against us and beat us the Midfielders where Rita Chikwelu, Regina Otu, Onyebuchi Goodness, Amarachi Okoronkwo and Joy Bokiri during the Aisha Buhari Cup..

And 2022 WAFCON (Rita Chikwelu, Halimatu Ayinde and Rasheedat Ajibade)..

Now they have Deborah Abiodun, Christy Ucheibe, Halimatu Ayinde, Onyi Echegini and Tony Payne work to face in Midfield.. It’s a different ball game entirely!!

6 Likes 1 Share

Re: Nigeria Female National Teams' Thread by Deltamani: 7:30pm On Feb 26
PDPGuy:

I don’t mind having Ucheibe on the bench (yeah, I know that sounds weird) because she is a less effective passer of the ball than the three that I listed; and both Abiodun and Ayinde are sufficient to cover the defensive mid area.
However, she can always come in later in the game to shore up midfield, we are protecting a lead

I can’t really tell, Let’s Randy Decide on which two starts between Ayinde, Ucheibe and Abiodun..

Against SA Tony Payne can retain the right wing, while Echegini gets more minutes in AM position..

1 Like

Re: Nigeria Female National Teams' Thread by AkinDS: 7:33pm On Feb 26
Nice assessment However…
2. Esther is deceptively pacy, as she does have a set of wheels on her. The 1v1 she missed in the first half was because she outpaced the Cameroonian backline who were no slouches themselves, considering how they shut Oshoala down.
7. Ajibade needs to do LESS, not more. She is a ball hog and always trying to do extra, when a simple pass would suffice. For me, one of the worst players on the pitch over both legs. Always trying to dribble and losing the ball in the process.

The games against Cameroon were always going to be difficult, as they had a lot to prove, hence their over the top physical play. They also match up well with us.

My take is South Africa would be an easier match for our ladies and yes, I have watched their recent matches. They play a lot of 1 touch passing which is something we do quite well now, perhaps even better than the South Africans. We are bigger and have a fast crop of players, so we match up well with them.

It might be time to bring in Edna Imade, Evelyn Ijeh and Elisha Sulola into the squad as backups.
lovewins:
My take on today's Game.

1 Like

(1) (2) (3) ... (1003) (1004) (1005) (1006) (1007) (1008) (1009) ... (1069) (Reply)

The NBA Begins / "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup

Viewing this topic: 2 guest(s)

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 90
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.