Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,155,506 members, 7,826,911 topics. Date: Monday, 13 May 2024 at 10:50 PM

Nigeria Female National Teams' Thread - Sports (254) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Entertainment / Sports / Nigeria Female National Teams' Thread (810727 Views)

NFF, Nike Set To Unveil New Kits For National Teams / Meet Chinyelu Asher Who Leads Jamaican Female National Team / Nigerian Coaches Who Have Coached Foreign Clubs And National Teams (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) ... (251) (252) (253) (254) (255) (256) (257) ... (1075) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Nigeria Female National Teams' Thread by naptu2: 4:48am On Oct 21, 2021
Video: "Why I disbanded Abiola Babes", by Chief MKO Abiola.

naptu2:
In the early 1990s I watched an interview that Chief MKO Abiola gave. It was shown on Lagos Television. In that interview he explained why he disbanded Abiola Babes. Abiola Babes was one of the two millionaire teams in Nigerian club football in the 1980s.

I have often used that interview to explain to Nairalanders who often complain that wealthy Nigerians like Dangote do not own/run football clubs that it is not easy to own a Nigerian football club. People like Chief Abiola, John Mastourodes (Leventis United), Chief Iwuanyanwu (Iwuanyanwu Nationale), Chief Oscar Udoji (Udoji United), Chief Adewale Teluwo (VIP, Obanta), etc. have tried it and gotten bad experiences.

I still can’t find a video of the interview I watched, but Chief Abiola relayed the same story when he was interviewed by former Nigerian captain, Chief Segun Odegbami (MON). Here is a video of the interview.

Chief Abiola mentioned some people and places in the interview and some might not know what he was referring to, so I’ve explained what they are.

Minister P.C. Achebe = Chief Philip Onuora Chikaodili (P.O.C.) Achebe, a two-time secretary general of the NFA and I think he also served as minister of sports.

Havelange = Joao Havelange who was the president of FIFA at the time.

Dakar = The Confederation of African Football (CAF) awarded Chief Abiola its gold merit award in recognition of his contributions to African football. The award was presented at the CAF General Assembly in Dakar in 1992 (during the 1992 African Nations Cup).

Challenge Cup = The Nigerian FA cup was previously known as the Challenge Cup.

Group Captain Obakpolor = Group Captain John Obakpolor was the NFA chairman in 1987/1988.

It is important that one should be very serious with what one wants to do. Nobody can clap with one hand. To clap you need two hands. I can provide the money. I provide even the time. You remember, I followed the team to play their match against Nchanga Rangers.

We got to Lusaka. We were told by the NFA that the match would be played in Lusaka. We travelled there on the eve of the match to be told that we would be playing in Nchanga. I had to beg for a flight, to charter an F27 to fly us to Ndola at 10:30 at night, hired a bus from Ndola to take us through Kitwe to Nchanga, only to find that the driver was drunk! So I drove the bus myself for three and a half hours. We were stopped by armed robbers three times on the road. I had to bribe our way through into Kitwe.

We got to Kitwe at 2:30 in the morning on the day of the match, to find that the officials had left for Kitwe. So I dropped the bus, made sure they rested quickly, drove the same bus back to Kitwe to look for the officials to bring them back at 7 in the morning to officiate. I was prepared to do that.

You see, it’s not just the money. You need to know what problems these boys faced. The boys on their way back had problems connecting in Addis. They were delayed in Addis for four days. I had to wire money for them to eat and so on. Only to find out that they were being scratched by Group Captain Obakpolor, who said that the boys did not show up for their quarter final match against. . . against. . . er. . . the Maiduguri side

(Segun Odegbami says, “El-Kanemi)

El-Kanemi at their quarter final match in Bauchi. I had to fight to get them to be allowed to play that match. They eventually qualified.

With all that, when you look at it, it just occurred to me, what happens if these armed robbers (they opened fire on us near Kitwe) if I had been killed? What will I tell my children? You see, one must. . . There has to be moderation in everything that one does. But if I hadn’t been in that bus that day, the bus wouldn’t have gone through. They probably would have been waylaid, people would have been severely injured, if not killed. What for?

Some of these things that we are trying to do, we must try and dose it with some element of realism.

Maybe we need to zone some of these things, as I was suggesting to CAF.

You see, the cost of transportation too. How much it costs me in foreign exchange.

We played Esperance in Tunisia. We had evidence that some of my boys took bribe to concede that match. Only to find. . .we got to the airport, Alitalia flight was cancelled because of strike. I had to pay in foreign exchange. In those days, the whole team and the supporters to London to connect back to Lagos in hard currency.

Minister P.C. Achebe was there. He was the one who said that I should disband the whole team! Only to find that I could hardly find a good team to play in the final of the Challenge Cup. It was a miracle that we won that Challenge Cup. I dismissed 12 of my players.

You see, these things were too much for me and I’m not getting younger. By the time of Abiola Babes I was in my early 40s. I’m 54½ now.

See, these are the things that one must bear in mind. It’s not just enough to put money. . . and my name connected with something, I want to see that it is very well done. If they are Abiola Babes, then Abiola has to be there.

You see, I had to leave Nchanga that afternoon. . . they played the match at 2 o’clock because they didn’t want our boys to rest. 2 o’clock in the sun! Our boys managed to draw. I drove straight to Lusaka to take the Zambian Airline 11 hour flight into London for an important meeting. So I couldn’t see to the boys being evacuated. They were stranded in Addis.

You see, there’s so much hassles in all these things and one is only one man!

My father told me, when a cousin was made a foreman. He didn’t know that it was F-O-R-E. He thought it was F-O-U-R. He said, “How can a man call himself four-man. Every man is one man”. “Asiere eniyan lo’n pe eniyan four-man. Enikan ni enikan je”. I am only one man.

Abiola Babes has virtually returned in Concord Football Club, a Professional League Division 2 club. They will carry on. Abiola name will not be there.

I think the name is already well known, thank God. You were in Dakar. What other thing could anybody have wanted in his life. Only Nigeria refused to honour me and I’m sure they will do that one day, but the whole of Africa has done so. What else do I want?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ktsLFv7XsZs
Re: Nigeria Female National Teams' Thread by Schemerkhiz: 6:38am On Oct 21, 2021
River Angels Pacy and Skillful Winger Maryann Ezenagu has been handed a late call up to the Superfalcons on Wednesday night ahead of the second leg AWCON qualifying game against Ghana.

1 Like

Re: Nigeria Female National Teams' Thread by naijaseeker: 7:07am On Oct 21, 2021
Schemerkhiz:
River Angels Pacy and Skillful Winger Maryann Ezenagu has been handed a late call up to the Superfalcons on Wednesday night ahead of the second leg AWCON qualifying game against Ghana.

Replace/alternate for Orderga

1 Like

Re: Nigeria Female National Teams' Thread by naptu2: 8:44am On Oct 21, 2021
Re: Nigeria Female National Teams' Thread by isan(m): 9:28am On Oct 21, 2021
I'm still not sold on this coach ,
Re: Nigeria Female National Teams' Thread by naptu2: 11:35am On Oct 21, 2021
This is a better highlights video.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ygAZOmXH0E0
Re: Nigeria Female National Teams' Thread by do4luv14(m): 12:33pm On Oct 21, 2021
pls ooo wetin my Franny do the blackest Queen captain wey she injury am like that,
Re: Nigeria Female National Teams' Thread by AkinDS: 3:54pm On Oct 21, 2021
About time!
Very well deserved.
Congrats, Maryann and welcome to the Super Falcons!!!
Schemerkhiz:
Re: Nigeria Female National Teams' Thread by solonnachi: 4:37pm On Oct 21, 2021
AkinDS:
About time!
Very well deserved.
Congrats, Maryann and welcome to the Super Falcons!!!

If we can grow our women's league, we would reap great benefit. There are so much talents we can tap from that league. Maryann Ezenagu is a good example. She would help to bring in competition in the SF and replace tired legs

1 Like

Re: Nigeria Female National Teams' Thread by AkinDS: 5:32pm On Oct 21, 2021
The two players might be Plumptre and Onumonu, both of whom have played competitively in U23 FIFA sanctioned matches for England and the US respectively. That was why they both could not honor the ABC Invitational, as their FIFA switch was still in process.
Schemerkhiz:

Being very much busy on personal matters though..
Have no legit infos on that but coach said he wanted to have two players around but they're still under the FIFA Nationality Switch..

2 Likes

Re: Nigeria Female National Teams' Thread by lovewins: 5:37pm On Oct 21, 2021
AkinDS:
The two players might be Plumptre and Onumonu, both of whom have played competitively in U23 FIFA competitions for England and the US respectively. That was why they both could not honor the ABC Invitational, as their FIFA switch was still in process.

He had other options though. Roosa Ariyo and Oyinyechi Zogg play professional football. I remember I checked out Roosa particularly and in one season in the US college league she had 70+ goals. Seen a few of her highlights too and she's clinical in front. Alozie is also very swift in front.

We have a very deadly attack on a good day (don't misunderstand me) both the present crop of players are too relaxed and wasteful up front. The last few games prove that.
Re: Nigeria Female National Teams' Thread by AkinDS: 6:02pm On Oct 21, 2021
Both were tried and tested out in the US Summer series.
Roosa did struggle with the pace of International ball and I am not sure she measured up - Randy Waldrum has not reached out to her since her 30 min cameo against Jamaica.
Zogg played well in the series and I believe she was excused for the match against Ghana because of her new club (ASJ Soyaux-Charente, FRA) - ditto that with Esther Okoronkwo of ASSE (St. Ettiene, FRA).
Once all are cleared to play and if we do make it to the AWFCON, I believe they will be a part of the squad and thus, increase the competition within the squad.
lovewins:

He had other options though. Roosa Ariyo and Oyinyechi Zogg play professional football. I remember I checked out Roosa particularly and in one season in the US college league she had 70+ goals. Seen a few of her highlights too and she's clinical in front. Alozie is also very swift in front.

We have a very deadly attack on a good day (don't misunderstand me) both the present crop of players are too relaxed and wasteful up front. The last few games prove that.
Re: Nigeria Female National Teams' Thread by isan(m): 7:38pm On Oct 21, 2021
If u really follow Rosa u will know she has been seating on the bench
lovewins:

Re: Nigeria Female National Teams' Thread by lovewins: 2:43am On Oct 22, 2021
isan:
If u really follow Rosa u will know she has been seating on the bench

I'm aware. She explained what inspired her move to the UK and why she had to return to Sweden cause of the pandemic, and how she played for her hometown team just to keep fit. She recently joined a new club I believe. I'm basing my judgement on her antecedent and I think all she needs is a chance to prove herself
Re: Nigeria Female National Teams' Thread by solonnachi: 2:55am On Oct 22, 2021
Ezenagu's invitation to Super Falcons: A fitting reward for consistency
pulse.ng

There is reward for diligence and consistency. For Rivers Angels' Maryann Ezenagu, the time has come to reward her years of consistency. Rivers Angels announced that the striker has been called up to the Super Falcons after the team's 2-0 victory over Ghana in Lagos

Ezenagu's invitation has long been expected by followers of women's football in Nigeria. She made a name for herself at the WAFU-B Champions League playoff where Rivers Angels lost to Hasaacas Ladies of Ghana in the final.

She is pacy and her trickery is a joy to behold as she goes past defenders with ease. In one of her interviews with CAF online, she revealed that she once declined invitation to the national team in 2013 because she felt she was too young.

She began playing football from the streets of Asaba even when her father restricted her from playing football but she persisted. Ezenagu won the woman of the match award three times at the WAFU-B Champions League playoff and was the tournament's top scorer. She was also named the tournament's most valuable player.

For many years, she has been consistent and her reward has come. Coach Randy Waldrum wanted to fortify his team ahead of the difficult encounter in Accra and he invited the Rivers Angels star.

The former Delta Queens star player has represented Nigeria at the FIFA U-17 Women's World Cup in 2016 alongside Chiamaka Nnadozie.

It is yet to be seen if Randy Waldrum will start her against Ghana. She has the pace and skill to keep Janet Egyir and the Ghanaian defense on their toes and allowing others to thrive. Randy has given NWFL stars time in the team and they have lived up to expectations. Maryann will hope to get the chance to play and to make impact, which is what she is known for.

Recently, the forward won the Most Valuable player award at the Betsy Obaseki Cup. At the WAFU Champions League playoff, she scored 7 goals and the coach of Ghana, Mercy Tagoe was one of the dignitaries that presented an award to her at the tournament. Now, she may play against Mercy Tagoe's team in Accra Ghana. Truly, consistency pays.

1 Like

Re: Nigeria Female National Teams' Thread by isan(m): 10:00am On Oct 22, 2021
Roosa plays in spain not UK or sweden , get your fact right
lovewins:

I'm aware. She explained what inspired her move to the UK and why she had to return to Sweden cause of the pandemic, and how she played for her hometown team just to keep fit. She recently joined a new club I believe. I'm basing my judgement on her antecedent and I think all she needs is a chance to prove herself
Re: Nigeria Female National Teams' Thread by lovewins: 12:28pm On Oct 22, 2021
isan:
Roosa plays in spain not UK or sweden , get your fact right

I referenced the wrong countries in haste. I meant US and Finland not UK and Sweden. She did score over 70+ goals in the NCAA, and she did emigrate to the US for her Master's Vis a vis an opportunity to play soccer, she however had to return to Finland because of the pandemic. She initially played for her hometown team upon return to Finland before her recent signing with the Spanish club
Re: Nigeria Female National Teams' Thread by GeneralDae: 12:50pm On Oct 22, 2021
lovewins:

I referenced the wrong countries in haste. I meant US and Finland not UK and Sweden. She did score over 70+ goals in the NCAA, and she did emigrate to the US for her Master's Vis a vis an opportunity to play soccer, she however had to return to Finland because of the pandemic. She initially played for her hometown team upon return to Finland before her recent signing with the Spanish club
And the question is: Have you monitored her performance in the spanish club so far? Note that the Spanish club is the only club that truly matters in her career so far.
Re: Nigeria Female National Teams' Thread by lovewins: 1:13pm On Oct 22, 2021
GeneralDae:

And the question is: Have you monitored her performance in the spanish club so far? Note that the Spanish club is the only club that truly matters in her career so far.

Yea true. I am monitoring actually and I'm aware she yet to get featured in a game. Like I opined in my earlier submission, I believe she's a good striker, she just needs a chance to prove this either at club or country level.
Re: Nigeria Female National Teams' Thread by isan(m): 7:28pm On Oct 22, 2021
Right now she doesn't deserve a call up to the national team she's been seating on the bench week in week out
lovewins:

Yea true. I am monitoring actually and I'm aware she yet to get featured in a game. Like I opined in my earlier submission, I believe she's a good striker, she just needs a chance to prove this either at club or country level.
Re: Nigeria Female National Teams' Thread by lovewins: 7:35pm On Oct 22, 2021
isan:
Right now she doesn't deserve a call up to the national team she's been seating on the bench week in week out

I do not disagree. I believe players should be invited primarily based on current form. Was only making a case for her cause of what I believe she can bring to the team
Re: Nigeria Female National Teams' Thread by solonnachi: 8:58am On Oct 23, 2021
My SF squad prediction for tomorrow's game against Ghana's Black queen

Nnadozie
G. Ogbonna
Ohale
Ebi
Sunday
Otu
Ajibade
Payne
Kanu
Ezenegu
Oshoala/Monday

1 Like

Re: Nigeria Female National Teams' Thread by Schemerkhiz: 11:05am On Oct 23, 2021
Report has it that Monday Gift has Signed for Rivers Angels FC of Porthacourt..

No confirmation yet if it's a permanent deal or on Loan from FC Robo.

Anyways good for their Champions League desire..

Re: Nigeria Female National Teams' Thread by solonnachi: 11:17am On Oct 23, 2021
Schemerkhiz:

Ha..... This Maryann Ezenegu is summarized in height ooo.
Re: Nigeria Female National Teams' Thread by solonnachi: 11:23am On Oct 23, 2021
Please what time will the reverse leg of Ghana/Nigeria be? I hope Ghana TV will televise the match
Re: Nigeria Female National Teams' Thread by do4luv14(m): 11:46am On Oct 23, 2021
solonnachi:

Ha..... This Maryann Ezenegu is summarized in height ooo.

wait this Ezenegu is the one who replace my injury Ordega Right
Re: Nigeria Female National Teams' Thread by isan(m): 3:51pm On Oct 23, 2021
This is why robo fc will never win the league
Schemerkhiz:

Re: Nigeria Female National Teams' Thread by Schemerkhiz: 4:09pm On Oct 23, 2021
do4luv14:

wait this Ezenegu is the one who replace my injury Ordega Right

No confirmed report if she's injured yet Fransisca Ordega.
Re: Nigeria Female National Teams' Thread by BascoVanVeli(m): 5:12pm On Oct 23, 2021
Schemerkhiz:

The talent in the NWFL has never been in doubt
Re: Nigeria Female National Teams' Thread by BascoVanVeli(m): 5:14pm On Oct 23, 2021
isan:
This is why robo fc will never win the league

In women’s football u can't hold a player from a better deal. Once the player is ready the best u get is a set settlement and they move.
Re: Nigeria Female National Teams' Thread by do4luv14(m): 5:42pm On Oct 23, 2021
Schemerkhiz:

No confirmed report if she's injured yet Fransisca Ordega.

so who is Ezenegu replacing
Re: Nigeria Female National Teams' Thread by isan(m): 7:18pm On Oct 23, 2021
Sure , I thought she's ready for Europe
BascoVanVeli:

In women’s football u can't hold a player from a better deal. Once the player is ready the best u get is a set settlement and they move.

(1) (2) (3) ... (251) (252) (253) (254) (255) (256) (257) ... (1075) (Reply)

The NBA Begins / "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup

Viewing this topic: Impeccable5248(m)

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 72
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.