Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,140,453 members, 7,770,126 topics. Date: Tuesday, 19 March 2024 at 04:47 AM

Nigeria Female National Teams' Thread - Sports (4) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Entertainment / Sports / Nigeria Female National Teams' Thread (747537 Views)

NFF, Nike Set To Unveil New Kits For National Teams / Meet Chinyelu Asher Who Leads Jamaican Female National Team / Nigerian Coaches Who Have Coached Foreign Clubs And National Teams (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10) ... (1021) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Nigeria Female National Teams' Thread by olapluto(m): 9:50am On Nov 22, 2016
The best Ghanaian player was an unused sub at Rivers Angel. They cannot trouble Nigeria. Minimum 4-0.

1 Like

Re: Nigeria Female National Teams' Thread by denniece1(m): 9:59am On Nov 22, 2016
olapluto:
The best Ghanaian player was an unused sub at Rivers Angel. They cannot trouble Nigeria. Minimum 4-0.
U mean amapele?
Re: Nigeria Female National Teams' Thread by TheSuperNerd(m): 10:49am On Nov 22, 2016
They still have Portia Boakye shaa...

Also, Samira Suleman is pretty good.

olapluto:
Re: Nigeria Female National Teams' Thread by olapluto(m): 10:49am On Nov 22, 2016
denniece1:

U mean amapele?
Their captain

1 Like

Re: Nigeria Female National Teams' Thread by Orkpekyandega(m): 10:52am On Nov 22, 2016
#OppositionWatch#

[b][size=14pt]
Pre-match quotes: Zimbabwe vs Egypt
[/size]
Mohamed Mostafa Abdelhameed (Head Coach, Egypt)

Every game has its reality. Against Zimbabwe we will play differently. It is a decisive match and both teams will fight for the three points. After 17 years of absence, we are back and hopefully in the coming years, be ranked among the best African teams.

The match of tomorrow will be different from the first one. Both teams will try to win it.

Suzanne Ali Arafa (Forward, Egypt)
No one participates in a competition to lose. Against Cameroon, the context was different. To those who think we came to distribute points, I would like to tell them that we came to win and that they might be surprised. We are going for the three points.

Shadreck Mlauzi (Head Coach, Zimbabwe)
Unlike some comments, the result of our first game (0-0 with South Africa) is not bad. We are aiming for a victory now that will allow us to advance in the competition.

I believe that our participation in the 2016 Olympic Games was a great contribution. This allowed us to play with intensity. We will put this experience to work as far as possible.

Talent Itai Mandaza (Midfielder, Zimbabwe)
We take the matches as they come. Against Egypt, it will be a great match. Then face Cameroon on the last day. We are not afraid of any team.

www.cafonline.com/en-US/NewsCenter/News/NewsDetails?id=LAQJ9KnjGGYN6eVMo%2boIqw%3d%3d
[/b]
Re: Nigeria Female National Teams' Thread by Orkpekyandega(m): 10:54am On Nov 22, 2016
[b][size=14pt]
What they say: Cameroon vs South Africa
[/size]
Enow Ngachu (Head Coach, Cameroon)

The match against Egypt was difficult. We missed a lot of opportunities. The one against South Africa will be even more complicated because South Africa is much more experienced. I have advised the players to convert all the chances that come their way.

Attackers are naturally selfish. We have asked the girls to be more collective even if we do not have to bridle the genius of one and the other. We are focused. The game will also be played on the mental plan and we have worked in this direction.

Gabrielle Aboudi Onguene (Midfielder, Cameroon)
We know what we have to do to take the three points at stake. We are the Lionesses and Tuesday’s hunting will be open and, whatever the prey, we will master it. We are doing well and concentrated. Our goal is to qualify on the second day of matches.

Desiree Ellis (Head Coach, South Africa)
We will do everything we can to take the three points. We have worked on the shortcomings observed during the first match.

We have been in a similar position before when we had to beat the host nation (Equatorial Guinea) to qualify for the 2016 Rio Olympic Games. We went there and did our job, and I believe we will do the same this time around. It will not be an easy game because they (Cameroon) have the crowd behind them, and they are top of the group. We will do everything possible on Tuesday to smoothen our chances of winning against Cameroon.

Thembi Kgatlana (Forward, South Africa)
I may look young but I took part in the Women’s AFCON two years ago in Namibia. I also played for my country in other circumstances. For the game ahead (against Cameroon), it will be a real battle. It is true that Cameroon will play in front of its public. You do not know how it is a joy to beat an opponent at home. That's what we want to do on Tuesday.

www.cafonline.com/en-US/NewsCenter/News/NewsDetails?id=SpuyDfgqIQg8sOz6r30i9A%3d%3d
[/b]
Re: Nigeria Female National Teams' Thread by Orkpekyandega(m): 11:20am On Nov 22, 2016
[b][size=14pt]
Kudaisi Praises Falcons After Mali Rout, Warns Against Complacency
[/size]

By Adeboye Amosu:

Former Super Falcons defender Yinka Kudaisi is thrilled to see the side start their campaign at the 10th Africa Women’s Cup of Nations in Cameroon on a positive note but warned they must remain focused ahead of their next group game against bitter rivals Ghana, reports Comple tesportsnigeria.com.

The Super Falcons defeated fellow West Africans Mali 6-0 in their first Group B fixture in Limbe on Sunday with Arsenal Ladies forward Asisat Oshoala hiting the back of the net four times.

And Kudaisi, who was part of the Super Falcons side that won the inaugural edition of the competition on home soil in 1998, wants the ladies to repeat the performance against Ghana.

“It’s good that they started the competition on a good note by getting the win against Mali,” Kudaisi told Comple tesportsnigeria.com.

“It’s always important to make a big statement and show big intention in a competition like this by winning your first game.

“They have proved they want to win the competition, and I hope they can sustain the momentum in their remaining games.

“There are still many hurdles to cross for them, which makes it important for them to remain focused.”

The Florence Omagbemi charges will take on Ghana in Limbe on Wednesday.

www.completesportsnigeria.com/kudaisi-praises-falcons-mali-rout-warns-complacency/
[/b]

1 Like

Re: Nigeria Female National Teams' Thread by TheSuperNerd(m): 1:57pm On Nov 22, 2016
Okay guys.... I've re-checked the records and I discovered I left out something.

Perpetual Nkwocha has 34 AWCON goals!!!

2002: 4 goals

2004: 9 goals

2006: 7 goals

2010: 11 goals

2012: 2 goals

2014: 1 goal

...The Overall Goals-Queens of the AWCON...

Perpetual Ijeoma Nkwocha (Nigeria): 34 goals

Mercy Akide (Nigeria): 18 goals (8 in 1998, 7 in 2000, 3 in 2002... I even left out her exploits in 1995 AWCON as the specific goalscorers records arent available for now but the results are.)

Genoveva Anonma (Equatorial Guinea): 13 goals (6 in 2008, 6 in 2012, 1 in 2010).

Cynthia Uwak (Nigeria): 10 goals (4 in 2004, 6 in 2006).

Chinasa Gloria Okoro (Equatorial Guinea): 10 goals (1 in 2006, 2 in 2008, 2 in 2010, 5 in 2012).

Desire Ugochi Oparanozie (Nigeria): 8 goals (3 in 2010, 5 in 2014).

Asisat Oshoala (Nigeria): 8 goals (4 in 2014, 4 so far in 2016).

Stella Mbachu (Nigeria): Between 7-11 goals (Records for 1998 and 2000 not clear but she scored in the final of both editions and also got a few goals in previous rounds, 2 in 2012, 1 in 2010).

Ines Nrehy (CIV): 7 goals (4 in 2012, 3 in 2014).

Jade Boho (Equatorial Guinea): 6 goals (3 in 2010, 3 in 2012).

Noko Matlou (South Africa): 5 goals (5 in 2008).

Courtesy: TheSuperNerd's Sports research division of his Multidynamic-complex of super labs grin **recorded by my righthand man, Yara Yara** File foreword signed by Sir TheGoodJoe... smiley

2 Likes

Re: Nigeria Female National Teams' Thread by TheSuperNerd(m): 2:14pm On Nov 22, 2016
Of all the players, the likes of Oshoala and Oparanozie are still chasing Nkwocha's 34-goal all-time AWCON goals record.

Equatorial Guinea's Anonma, Boho and Chinasa will have to wait for the 2018 edition which will double as FIFA Women's WC 2019 Qualifiers.

Oshoala needs 26 more to equal it and 27 in all to actually smash the record. smiley

Arsenal Star Oshoala Needs TWENTY-SEVEN
More Goals To Beat AWCON Record Held By
Peppe

After Arsenal striker Asisat Oshoala netted four goals at the 2016 Africa Women Cup of Nations clash against Mali on Sunday, she took her tally
in the competition to eight.

In 2014, the former Liverpool star finished the AWCON with four goals to her name, one less than Golden Boot winner Desire Oparanozie of
Guingamp.

Sunnanå SK hero Perpetua Nkwocha has scored
the most goals in the Africa Women Cup of
Nations, thirty four in total, which she racked up
in six tournaments 2002, 2004, 2006, 2010,
2012 and 2014.

On a personal level, Peppe is Nigeria’s most
successful player at the Africa Women Cup of
Nation, having won the Golden Boot four times
and the Player of the Tournament in 2004.

The 40-year-old was among eight players that
found the back of the net for the Super Falcons in Namibia.

Nkwocha's AWCON Record (34 Goals)

2002 - 4 goals

2004 - 9 goals

2006 - 7 goals

2010 - 11 goals

2012 - 2 goals

2014 - 1 goal
---------------------
Total - 34 goals
---------------------

Source: http://allnigeriasoccer.com/read_news.php?nid=21163
Re: Nigeria Female National Teams' Thread by Orkpekyandega(m): 6:44pm On Nov 22, 2016
Re: Nigeria Female National Teams' Thread by Orkpekyandega(m): 6:47pm On Nov 22, 2016
[b][size=14pt]
Super Falcons will not underrate Ghana, says Chioma Wogu
[/size]
The Rivers Angels forward says her side will come out fighting when her side meets the Black Queens in Wednesday's African Women's Cup of Nations clash
Nigeria womenstriker Chioma Wogu says her side will not underrate Ghanawhen they meet in their second African Women's Cup of Nations Group B match on Wednesday in Limbe.

The 17-year-old who made her first appearance in the continental showpiece as a substitute contributed an assist in Florence Omagbemi's side 6-0 drubbing of the Lady Eagles.

The Rivers Angels forward insists scoring goals is not her top priority but helping her national the side made a title success.

"I'm so happy having my first game in the Africa Women's Cup of Nations against Mali," Wogu told Goal.

"I very much happy that my team was able to beat them not minding who was scoring the goals.

"I'm very comfortable making an assist in the game and want to give my best when given the opportunity.

"I think all of us who made the final squad are good and I respect whoever the coaches intend to start or feature according to their game plans.

"My ambition here is not to score goals but to help the team win every game though if the chance comes to score, I will surely take it. I want to win the title with Nigeria."

"Against Ghana, we have trained well and fully prepared for them. The team is aiming to win every game in the tournament," she continued.

"And we are not going to underrate Ghana but we will face them just like we came out against Mali.

"I wish to appeal for the prayers and support of Nigerians both in at home and in Cameroon just like they did against Mali."

Nigeria will hope to seal their quarterfinal spot with a victory against Yusif Basigi's ladies at the Limbe Omnisport Stadium.

m.goal.com/x/en-ng/news/7255/african-women-championship/2016/11/22/29770022/super-falcons-will-not-underrate-ghana-says-chioma-wogu
[/b]
Re: Nigeria Female National Teams' Thread by Orkpekyandega(m): 6:59pm On Nov 22, 2016
[b][size=14pt]
Nigeria's Desire Oparanozie in fitness race for Ghana clash
[/size]
The forward is hoping to recover in time face the Black Queens on Wednesday after a muscle strain saw her miss Mali encounter
Desire Oparanozie faces a race against time to be fit for Nigeria's African Women's Cup of Nations clash with Ghana due to a muscle strain.

The Guingamp forward who won the top scorer award at the 2014 edition with five goals, missed the Super Falcons' drubbing of Mali after failing a late fitness test.

The 22-year-old was forced off just 15 minutes into last Monday's final warm up match against Abess Academy in Abuja after complaining of a muscle strain.

Responding to questions about Oparanozie's absence, head coach Florence Omagbemi insists the France-based forward is fine and will be featured when the time is right.

"Oparanozie is fine. It not my decision alone, I am working with my technical crew and we make collective contribution to pick the best players that fit into our plans," said Omagbemi.

"We decided on what is good for the team and pick the best to play. We have twenty-one players in the squad, and every players would get opportunity to play.

"Oparanozie's time will come and she will get to play," she concluded.

m.goal.com/x/en-ng/news/7255/african-women-championship/2016/11/22/29775352/nigerias-desire-oparanozie-in-fitness-race-for-ghana-clash
[/b]

1 Like

Re: Nigeria Female National Teams' Thread by Orkpekyandega(m): 7:02pm On Nov 22, 2016
[b][size=14pt]
Super Falcons are unstoppable – Osinachi Ohale
[/size]
Super Falcons defender, Osinachi Ohale, has boasted that Nigeria’s next group opponents at the ongoing Africa Women Cup of Nations(AWCON), Ghana and Kenya, are marked for demolition in the remaining group B matches.

The Awaka-Owerri, Imo state-born defender, who plays for Rivers Angels in a chat from Limbe, Cameroon, said that the players have resolved to do everything possible to keep a clean sheet in this year’s edition of the AWCON, and possibly create a seemingly impossible record.

“Tell Nigerians that we are here to create a new record by the grace of God. As you can see we have started on a good note and I don’t see anything stopping us. Possibly we can finish this tournament without conceding a goal, and I believe it will be an unforgettable record, which may take other countries some time to equal.”

The Falcons assistant captain, who has also played professional football in America added that the players are in the best frame of mind as there is great team spirit.

“You need to experience the atmosphere and relationship here in our camp. We do virtually everything together. Our coaches have actually done enough to instill discipline in us. So tell our people back home that by the grace of God, we shall come back home “in style” with the trophy for the record 8th times.

Four goals from the boots of Asisat Oshoala and one each from Francisca Ordega and Uchechi Sunday, against Mali, ensured that the Super Falcons began the AWCON title defence on a beautiful note.

www.thebreakingtimes.com/super-falcons-are-unstoppable-osinachi-ohale/
[/b]
Re: Nigeria Female National Teams' Thread by Orkpekyandega(m): 7:05pm On Nov 22, 2016
[b][size=14pt]
Nigeria: Super Falcons Prepare for Ghana Clash
[/size]
By Gowon Akpodonor

After demolishing Mali 6-0 in their first group match at the on-going African Women Nations Cup in Cameroun on Sunday, players and officials of the Super Falcons yesterday commenced preparation for the clash with their West African rivals, Black Queens of Ghana. The match will hold tomorrow at the hilltop Omisports Stadium in Limbe.

The decision by Cameroun to host the Group B matches here in Limbe is paying off as many residents now jostle to be part of the event. Limbe is hub of Cameroun's tourism and is the most expensive town in the country.

While the Falcons won their opening group match 6-0 against Mali on Sunday, Ghana came from a goal down to beat the Harambee Starlets of Kenya 3-1 in a match the Kenyans accused the centre referee of partiality.

The referee awarded a 'soft' penalty for the Ghanaians to score their second goal, and changed her earlier penalty call for the Kenyans to a goal kick.

The Falcons said yesterday said they would not give the Ghanaians a chance in tomorrow's game, but they acknowledged that the Black Queens are no pushovers.

The Falcons have been training very hard tom ensure they maintained their superiority over Ghana.

One of the measures adopted by the players and accepted by the officials is the decision that henceforth no player will have access to an I-pad or any smart phone that could constitute a distraction to her.

An official of the team, who pleaded anonymity, told The Guardian that "the players voluntarily submitted their phones and I-pad to the coaches and promised not to come for them until after the final game here.

"This is unprecedented in the history of Nigeria's participation in international events. Apart from that, they have also agreed to now go to bed by 9.00 p.m., instead of the usual 10.00 p.m.

"This shows the level of seriousness they attach to this competition."

Meanwhile, the games' volunteers, numbering about 210, have threatened to disrupt the championship following an alleged neglect of their welfare by the local organizing committee.

allafrica.com/stories/201611221012.html
[/b]
Re: Nigeria Female National Teams' Thread by Orkpekyandega(m): 7:10pm On Nov 22, 2016
[b][size=14pt]
Nigeria: Ordega, Oshoala, Oparanozie Hail Falcons' Perfect Start
[/size]
By Mansur Abubakar

Super Falcons trio of Francesca Ordega, Desire Oparanozie and star striker Asisat Oshoala have hailed Nigeria's perfect start at the ongoing African Women Cup of Nations in Cameroun after the team's opening day 6-0 demolition of Mali on Sunday.

Oshoala, who not only scored four out of the six goals but also scooped player of the match award was first to express joy after the final whistle, taking to social media to congratulate herself and her teammates for laying down a marker in the first game.

"Carry go team Nigeria, so proud of today's performance," the Arsenal Ladies player wrote.

United States of America-based Ordega on her part after congratulating her teammates, said it's important that the reigning champions maintain the solid start until the final game.

"Good job guys, amazing start, team Nigeria we rock, let's keep the spirit and so proud of everyone," the Washington Spirit player noted.

While last edition's highest goal scorer Oparanozie simply said: "Great job mates now unto the next".

Coach Florence Omagbemi's side will certainly meet stronger opposition from Ghana's Black Queens, whom they play in their next match tomorrow and will be expected to up their game for the clash.

Meanwhile, volunteers numbering about 210 are still threatening to disrupt the flow of the championship following an alleged neglect of their welfare by the local organizing committee of the championship.

allafrica.com/stories/201611220464.html
[/b]
Re: Nigeria Female National Teams' Thread by Nobody: 7:22pm On Nov 22, 2016
^^
Thanks for the updates
Re: Nigeria Female National Teams' Thread by isaiah9(m): 9:33pm On Nov 22, 2016
CFCman:
^^ Thanks for the updates
Today's results pls
Re: Nigeria Female National Teams' Thread by Nobody: 10:00pm On Nov 22, 2016
isaiah9:
Today's results pls

Cameroon 1-0 South Africa
Egypt 1-0 Zimbabwe

Cameroon = 6pts
Egypt = 3pts
South Africa = 1pt
Zimbabwe = 1 pt

Cameroon are through to the semifinals.
Re: Nigeria Female National Teams' Thread by isaiah9(m): 10:58pm On Nov 22, 2016
CFCman:

Egypt 1-0 Zimbabwe

Cameroon = 6pts
Egypt = 3pts
South Africa = 1pt
Zimbabwe = 1 pt

thanks. I've been searching for the results
Re: Nigeria Female National Teams' Thread by TheSuperNerd(m): 6:03am On Nov 23, 2016
Overall Head-To-Head: Nigeria's Super Falcons Vs Ghana's Black Queens at the CAF AWCON

1991» Nigeria 5-1 Ghana (Lagos)
Ghana 1-2 Nigeria (Accra)
(Nigeria won 7-2 on Aggregate).
Stage:First round.

1995» Ghana 0-3 Nigeria (Accra)
Nigeria 2-0 Ghana (Lagos)
(Nigeria won 5-0 on Aggregate)
Stage: Second round.

1998» Nigeria 2-0 Ghana (Abeokuta)
Stage: Final.

2000» Nigeria 2-2 Ghana (Johannesburg)
Stage: First Round.

2002» Nigeria 0-1 Ghana (Warri)
Stage: First Round.

Ghana 0-2 Nigeria (Warri)

2006» Nigeria 1-0 Ghana (Warri)

2008» Ghana 1-1 Nigeria (Bata, Eq. Guinea)
Stage: First round.

2016» Nigeria ?-? Ghana (Limbe, Cameroun).
Stage: First round. (What will it be?) smiley
Re: Nigeria Female National Teams' Thread by Orkpekyandega(m): 6:03am On Nov 23, 2016
CFCman:

Egypt 1-0 Zimbabwe

Cameroon = 6pts
Egypt = 3pts
South Africa = 1pt
Zimbabwe = 1 pt

This Egyptian team of all people have really surprised me so much.

South Africa should just watch their back ooooo.
Re: Nigeria Female National Teams' Thread by Orkpekyandega(m): 6:29am On Nov 23, 2016
[b][size=14pt]
AWCON: Black Queens set to test Super Falcons’ resolve
[/size]
•As Omagbemi confident on her technical crew.

Nigeria’sSuper Falcons are set to face Ghana in today’s group B encounter at the ongoing Africa Women Cup of Nations with the Black Queens hoping to stop a rampaging team determined to maintain its vice grip on the tournament.

The Super Falcons are on everyone’s lips following their 6-0 thrashing of Mali in their group B game in Limbe, Cameroon. The Black Queens also romped to a 3-1 over Kenya and they are confident of keeping the Super Falcons attack at bay. No doubt their target will be Asisat Oshoala who is in a devastating form. She became the second Nigerian player to score four goals in a single match in the tournament.

In 2004 Perpetua Nkwocha scored four goals in the 5-0 win the Super Falcons posted over Cameroon to win the title.

Speaking on their chances in the game coach Florence Omagbemi stated that their focus is to win the game and cement their place in the quarter-final, adding that the team is solid and united.

“The Nigerian team is a team with a technical bench. We have a lot of coaches on our team and when we have a game, we have a pre-game talk and we try to pass the message and we try to talk to everyone on the team. Everyone had information and that is why we are on top of our game.”

www.vanguardngr.com/2016/11/awcon-black-queens-set-test-super-falcons-resolve/
[/b]

1 Like

Re: Nigeria Female National Teams' Thread by Orkpekyandega(m): 6:32am On Nov 23, 2016
[b][size=14pt]
Egypt register first ever Awcon win.

By: Usher Komugisha
[/size]
Salma Ahmed scored the lone strike to secure Egypt’s first ever win at the Africa Women’s Cup of Nations when they edged Zimbabwe 1-0 on Tuesday at the Ahmadou Ahidjo Stadium in Yaounde.

Ahmed’s effort came in the 83rd minute, much to the delight of her teammates and coaching staff, to hand the Lady Pharaohs a lifeline with an opportunity to qualify for the semifinals if they can hold South Africa to a draw in their last Group A tie on November 25.

Egypt came into this tournament as minnows in this pool following a successive run of losses in friendly games on the continent including to Zambia, Zimbabwe, South Africa and Kenya however, this win has reinstated their chances of making it to the last four.

Zimbabwe responded with an equaliser that was disallowed by center referee Suavis Iratunga, a controversial decision that overshadowed the result of the game thereafter.

The defeat leaves Zimbabwe and South Africa’s destiny hanging on a thin line, as they have to secure wins in their last Group A games for a chance to join hosts Cameroon in the semifinals.

Egypt need just a draw against South Africa while Zimbabwe must been the Indomitable Lions to progress.

Cameroon have six points from two games with Egypt sitting in second position with three points while Zimbabwe and South Africa have a point each.

ng.supersport.mobi/football/african-women-champs/news/161123/Egypt_register_first_ever_Awconwin
[/b]
Re: Nigeria Female National Teams' Thread by Orkpekyandega(m): 6:34am On Nov 23, 2016
[b][size=14pt]
Oshoala plays down talk of top scorerBy: Andrew Randa | 22 Nov | 15:33
[/size]
Despite hitting four goals in Nigeria’s 6-0 demolition of Mali, Super Falcons striker Asisat Oshoala says her ultimate goal is to help Nigeria defend their title at the 2016 Africa Women Cup of Nations in Cameroon.

The Arsenal Ladies forward was rampant on Sunday as she led the Nigerian attack in an impressive Group B win over Mali and has revealed the team are united on all fronts and personal accolade is not on top of their agenda.

Oshoala told supersport.com that the team are focused on the next game and she is not thinking of individual honours as all focus is on helping Nigeria retain the trophy.

“A team wins first and if I get chances to score I try to get them, that is my job for the team but it’s not about personal goals,” she told supersport.com.

“I was just lucky to be in good positions and I was lucky to get my chances in as well. It might be someone else's opportunity tomorrow.

“It might be another person in our team. It might be Desire (Oparanozie), a defender, Uchechi (Sunday) or anybody.

“We have a lot of good players and good strikers in the team as well who can do even much better than I can.

“It’s all about the team winning basically, it’s about winning the tournament and not personal awards or individual accolades.

Getting the highest goalscorer or player of the tournament is nothing to me.

“The trophy is what this is all about. I can win the trophy and forget about the other awards.

We are here for the trophy, that is all that matters,” Oshoala said.

ng.supersport.mobi/football/african-women-champs/news/161122/Oshoala_plays_down_talk_of_top_scorer
[/b]
Re: Nigeria Female National Teams' Thread by Orkpekyandega(m): 6:39am On Nov 23, 2016
[b][size=14pt]
Omagbemi wary of Ghana

[/size]
Nigeria head coach Florence Omagbemi has insisted that Ghana will not be a walkover when the two sides face off on Wednesday at the ongoing Africa Women’s Cup of Nations in Limbe Stadium.

The Super Falcons are wearing the ‘tournament favourites’ tag at the continental tournament having won it a record seven times but the former captain is not getting carried away by her side’s pedigree.

“Ghana won’t be a walkover and we will play as if it is the final. The spirit in camp is good and the players are motivated to deliver,” she told the media ahead of the West African derby.

Nigeria demolished Mali 6-0 for dead on Sunday in the biggest win at the tournament so far with star player Asisat Oshoala netting four times.

The win has set the pace for their Group B tie and Omagbemi said, “We are looking forward to playing Ghana. Everyone is focused and all the players are intact.”

“We take it one game at a time and we won’t underrate or overrate any team. We watched Ghana against Kenya and we are looking forward to a good match.

Hopefully, we will have a good day and emerge victorious.”

Nigeria are aware of the challenge at hand as they will come up against the reigning All Africa Games gold medalists who were crowned last year in Brazzaville at a competition where the Super Falcons finished in a shocking fourth position, their worst position at this tournament.

The Super Falcons will be looking to settle their scores and show everyone that indeed it is them that are the ‘real’ queens of Africa.

Nigeria defender Gladys Nnenena Akpa reflected this, “We are here for a purpose. We know why we are here and we will do just that.”

Victory for Nigeria will earn them a place in the semifinals to join Cameroon who edged South Africa 1-0 on Tuesday to progress.

ng.supersport.mobi/football/african-women-champs/news/161123/Omagbemi_wary_of_Ghana
[/b]
Re: Nigeria Female National Teams' Thread by Orkpekyandega(m): 6:43am On Nov 23, 2016
[b][size=14pt]
No pressure for Ghana claims Addo

[/size]
Ghana defender Elizabeth Addo has said the Black Queens are not under any pressure ahead of their much-anticipated tie against Nigeria on Wednesday at the ongoing Africa Women’s Cup of Nations at Limbe Stadium in Cameroon.

Addo, who plied her trade in Nigeria for River Angels before, believes her teammates have what it takes to much the Nigerian machine that seems unstoppable in this competition.

The Super Falcons put a remarkable six goals past Mali in their opener on Sunday, something that does not worry Addo in any way.

“We are very prepared. The Nigerians know us well and we know them too. We are not under pressure. It is just a normal game and we are going to have fun,” said the confident midfielder.

“Having played in Nigeria before (for River Angels), I know most of the Nigerian players and they know my abilities too. For us (playing body), all we need is victory. There is always a first time. Ghana has reached the final on three previous occasions and lost to Nigeria each time. Who knows? We can make history this time.”

Addo and her teammates will have to dig very deep to stop the Super Falcons who undeniably have very skilled and talented players on their side including 12 professionals who ply their trade mostly in Europe.

However, Black Queens head coach Yusif Bassigi has revealed that all that he cares about is the three points.

**He said, “We are not here to play good and lose in the end.** Against Nigeria, it will be a different game and matches between the two teams are always unpredictable.”

“The scoreline of the first match doesn’t matter. If Nigeria beat Mali 6-0, we could have also beaten Mali by 6-0 or more. The three points is what we aspire for and after we can strategize for the next game.”

“I have psyched the players and prepared their minds and they are poised for the match. They are relaxed and will be battle ready.

The stadium will be red, yellow and green (Ghana colours) and green, white and green (Nigeria colours). It will be interesting.”

“Just as we have Ghanaians here (in Limbe), there are Nigerians too.

Our fans have promised us that they will storm the stadium in their numbers to cheer the team to victory.”

Nigeria are on top of Group B with three points and a +6 goal difference while Ghana sit in second place with three points from a 3-1 win over Kenya on Sunday.

Debutants Kenya face Mali in the other tie in the group with both sides looking to pick their first win at the continental showpiece.

ng.supersport.mobi/football/african-women-champs/news/161123/No_pressure_for_Ghana_claims_Addo
[/b]
Re: Nigeria Female National Teams' Thread by Orkpekyandega(m): 7:05am On Nov 23, 2016
[b][size=14pt]
Mali launch redemption campaign
[/size]
Losing 6-0 can be a devastating affair for any football player and Mali are not any different following their result against Nigeria on Sunday but head coach Oumar Guindo has revealed that his players have since recovered.

Mali returned to the Africa Women’s Cup of Nations for the first time since 2010 but after just the first game find themselves on the back foot with their work cut out when they take on Kenya on Wednesday in their second match at the biennial tournament.

However, Guindo has clearly stated that, “We have forgotten about the defeat to Nigeria and are looking forward to the game against Kenya. After losing the first match, we will take one match after the other and hopefully we will go through. The morale of the girls is high.”

“We have two more games and our objective is to go till the end.

We watched the Kenyans (against Ghana) and they are very athletic. We are well prepared for them.

We hope to improve our style of play and in the end come out victors.”

Against the Starlets, Mali will come up against yet another wounded side that will also be treating this as a final and seeking maximum points for a chance at trying to qualify for the last four.

“Our experience from previous participation will count for little against Kenya who are debutants.

Our objective is to go past the group stage and to get there we have to beat Kenya,” he said.

Malian midfielder Aminata Doucoure admitted to losing focus in the second half of the Nigeria game, “During the latter stages of the game against Nigeria, our morale went down after conceding such number of goals.

However, the coach has psyched us and we are ready for the Kenyans.”

“We are prepared mentally and psychologically to face Kenya. Our objective remains going past the group stage and we are focused on that. Every game has its strategy and the Kenya match will be no different. I believe in our abilities and I know we can do it.”

Kenya sits third in Group B with no point yet ahead of Mali whose goal difference is -6 compared to Kenya’s -2. This match will be live on Supersport channel SS9 at 18:50 GMT.

ng.supersport.mobi/football/african-women-champs/news/161123/Mali_launch_redemption_campaign
[/b]
Re: Nigeria Female National Teams' Thread by Orkpekyandega(m): 7:08am On Nov 23, 2016
[b][size=14pt]
Kenya Starlets upbeat ahead of Mali tie

[/size]
Following their hugely disappointing 3-1 loss to Ghana on Sunday, Kenya Starlets head coach David Ouma has said that his side is looking forward to their match against Mali at the Africa Women’s Cup of Nations on Wednesday at Limbe Stadium.

The tie is a must win for Kenya if they are to harbour any chances of progressing to the semifinals and Ouma has said that his players have since recovered from the heartbreak that was a dubious penalty handed to Ghana on Sunday.

“The players are upbeat and the possibility is to get the most out of the game. We have analyzed the strengths and weaknesses of the Malians. They were wounded in their first match (lost 6-0 to Nigeria) like us and this will be the best match in the group,” Ouma explained.

“We hope to continue what we have been doing since the first match and we are working on our aspect of the game when we are in the defense of the opponent.

I’m still confident and believe in the abilities of my players.”

Forward Esse Akida scored Kenya’s first ever goal at this tournament and indeed Ouma will be expecting her to continue with this kind of performance on Wednesday.

Ouma said, “At the moment, the group is defined. We have prepared sufficiently and our experience from the first match (against Ghana) will help to ensure we get the points we need.

Mentally and psychologically, you will see a good Kenyan team.”

Starlets defender Wendy Achieng added that, “It is still a learning moment for us. We are looking forward to the game against Mali.”

“We have rectified our mistakes and have been working towards a win to help our qualification ambitions. We are looking forward to an improved performance. I hope and believe that the mistakes from the first match (against Ghana) won’t be repeated.”

Kenya sits third in Group B with no point yet ahead of Mali whose goal difference is -6 compared to Kenya’s -2. This match will be live on Supersport channel SS9 at 18:50 GMT.

ng.supersport.mobi/football/african-women-champs/news/161123/Kenya_Starlets_upbeat_ahead_of_Mali_tie
[/b]
Re: Nigeria Female National Teams' Thread by Orkpekyandega(m): 7:14am On Nov 23, 2016
[b][size=14pt]
Omagbemi: Falcons Will Beat Ghana Like Any Other Team
[/size]
By Johnny Edward:

Super Falcons coach, Florence Omagbemi, has stated in clear terms that her team will take on their West African rivals Ghana in their Wednesday's Women's Africa Cup of Nations Group B clash in Limbe like any other team in the competition as they bid to defend their title, reports Completesportsnigeria.com.

Omagbemi, a three time winner of the competition as a player could make history for herself – becoming the first ever player to win the competition as a player(and as a Coach).

She insists that the rivalry between both teams won't deter her team from gunning for victory on Wednesday against Ghana in their Women’s Africa Cup of Nations Group B clash.

“We are happy, we won the first game against Mali and we are trying to refocus our game plans and mindset,” Omagbemi tells journalists after her team's preparation in Beau.

“We are playing Ghana in our next game, the communication with the group is that we are done with Mali and we have started preparing for Ghana.

“Every coach has their own style of controlling the team, that is the mindset of the Ghanaian coach.

“All the teams in Cameroon are here to compete for the title, and if the coach says they want to compete with Nigeria, its fine.

“We are here to defend our trophy, we will take them on the match day. We are taking on Ghana like every other team in the championship and we will approach the game with our plans.

“The rivalry is not our problems but the game, I don’t want to focus on the distraction off the field but the game and my team.”

www.completesportsnigeria.com/omagbemi-falcons-will-beat-ghana-like-team/
[/b]
Re: Nigeria Female National Teams' Thread by Orkpekyandega(m): 7:16am On Nov 23, 2016
[size=14pt]
Ebi: Super Falcons Won’t Underrate Ghana In AWCON Clash
[/size]
By Johnny Edward:

Super Falcons defender Onome Ebi is confident the reigning African Women's Cup of Nations champions will not underrate their Ghanaian counterparts at the Limbe Stadium in Wednesday's Group clash.

Ebi who posted a stellar performance as the seven time winners kicked off their title defence with a 6-0 thumping of Mali on Sunday added that the team is well aware of the rivalry between Nigeria and Ghana.

"We have a target and that is to defend our crown here," she told Comple tesportsnigeria.com from Limbe.

"There's no room for complacency here we are all focused to make Nigerians proud."

A win over Ghana will secure a semi-final place for the Super Falcon

www.completesportsnigeria.com/ebi-super-falcons-wont-underrate-ghana-awcon-clash/

1 Like

Re: Nigeria Female National Teams' Thread by Orkpekyandega(m): 7:21am On Nov 23, 2016
[b][size=14pt]
Nigeria face Ghana in Cup of Nations thriller
[/size]
In Summary

*.Nigeria are currently top of Group B with three points but on a better goal aggregate, having thrashed poor Mali 6-0 in their opening match.

*.Oshoala delivered two assists and scored four goals as her team completed a 6-0 rout of Mali.

*.This game will be the first of a double header at Limbe, after which Kenya will take on Mali.

By CELLESTINE OLILO
More by this Author

Champions Nigeria are leaving nothing to chance in their quest to defend the Africa Women Cup of Nations title this year.

The Super Falcons face Ghana in thrilling clash at the Limbe Omnisport Stadium Wednesday evening, and reports from Nigeria indicate that players have voluntarily agreed to turn in their smart phones and tablets so as to focus more on the competition.

A joint agreement by players to be in bed by 9pm as opposed to the 10pm deadline set by their handlers has also been reached, a sign of how serious the team is about retaining the continental title.

TOP GROUP B
Nigeria are currently top of Group B with three points but on a better goal aggregate, having thrashed poor Mali 6-0 in their opening match, and they need only three more points against Ghana today to be guaranteed a place in the tournament’s semi-finals.

Nigeria coach Florence Omagbemi who has won this competition with Super Falcons on four occasions, has issued a stern warning to his opponents, telling them bluntly that her team is simply the best in the competition.

If there is a coach who says they want to compete with Nigeria for the title, there is no problem. We shall settle that matter on the pitch.

“The game against Ghana is as important as any other game in the competition and we have curved out a tactical approach to it. We are here to defend the trophy and the rivalry against Ghana is not our focus at this moment,” the former Nigerian international said.

Nigeria’s exhilarating performance against Mali has made them fearsome opponents, with Arsenal Ladies striker Asisat Oshoala winning the admiration of many with her impressive flicks and flair.

Oshoala delivered two assists and scored four goals as her team completed a 6-0 rout of Mali.
This game will be the first of a double header at Limbe, after which Kenya will take on Mali.

www.nation.co.ke/sports/football/Nigeria-face-Ghana-in-Cup-of-Nations-thriller/1102-3461440-6ljog7z/index.html
[/b]

1 Like

Re: Nigeria Female National Teams' Thread by Orkpekyandega(m): 7:24am On Nov 23, 2016
[b][size=14pt]
What they say: Nigeria vs Ghana
[/size]
Florence Omagbemi (Head Coach, Nigeria)

We are looking forward to playing Ghana. Everyone is focused and all the players are intact. We take it one game at a time and we won’t underrate or overrate any team. We watched Ghana against Kenya and we are looking forward to a good match.

Hopefully, we will have a good day and emerge victorious. Ghana won’t be a walkover and we will play as if it is the final. The spirit in camp is good and the players are motivated to deliver.

Gladys Nnenena Akpa (Defender, Nigeria)

We are here for a purpose. We know why we are here and we will do just that.

Yusif Basigi (Head Coach, Ghana)
The most important thing is the three points. We are not here to play good and lose in the end.

Against Nigeria, it will be a different game and matches between the two teams are always unpredictable. The scoreline of the first match doesn’t matter. If Nigeria beat Mali 6-0, we could have also beaten Mali by 6-0 or more. The three points is what we aspire for and after we can strategize for the next game. I have psyched the players and prepared their mind and they are poised for the match.

They are relaxed and will be battle ready. Tomorrow, the stadium will be red, yellow and green (Ghana colours) and green, white and green (Nigeria colours).

It will be interesting. Just as we have Ghanaians here (in Limbe), there are Nigerians too. Our fans have promised us that they will storm the stadium in their numbers to cheer the team to victory.

Elizabeth Addo (Midfielder, Ghana)

We are very prepared. The Nigerians know us well and we know them too. We are not under pressure. It is just a normal game and we are going to have fun. Having played in Nigeria before (for River Angels), I know most of the Nigerian players and they know my abilities too. For us (playing body), all we need is victory. There is always a first time. Ghana has reached the final on three previous occasions and lost to Nigeria each time. Who knows? We can make history this time.

www.cafonline.com/en-US/NewsCenter/News/NewsDetails?id=AozrSu40730yVwRbhh0qcw%3d%3d
[/b]

1 Like

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10) ... (1021) (Reply)

The NBA Begins / "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 109
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.