Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,156,503 members, 7,830,516 topics. Date: Friday, 17 May 2024 at 12:44 AM

Nigeria Female National Teams' Thread - Sports (398) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Entertainment / Sports / Nigeria Female National Teams' Thread (813372 Views)

NFF, Nike Set To Unveil New Kits For National Teams / Meet Chinyelu Asher Who Leads Jamaican Female National Team / Nigerian Coaches Who Have Coached Foreign Clubs And National Teams (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) ... (395) (396) (397) (398) (399) (400) (401) ... (1075) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Nigeria Female National Teams' Thread by Schemerkhiz: 10:08am On Jul 08, 2022
Nigeria Super Falcons on Thursday night defeated the Zebras of Botswana 2-0 in their second Group match of the ongoing 2022 Women’s Africa Cup of Nations in Morocco.

Here are five observations from the game.

Deep Lying Botswana, The Botswana ladies chose to soak up the pressure from the Nigerian forward line and played most of the first half in their own half making it difficult to break them down.

The goal scored by Ifeoma Onumonu in the 21st minute however ensured that the opposition had to readjust as they came out of their confort zone in search of an equaliser.

Falcons Passes, The Super Falcons dominated possession of the ball but their final balls left much to be desired. Most of the passes were not weighted, they ball eluded the targets as they were either over hit or intercepted by the Botswana defenders.

Botswana Went Physical, The Botswana ladies resorted to kicking the more skillful Nigerian players when they faced the force of the Falcons on them.

Improved Second Half By Falcons, There was urgency in the manner that the Super Falcons payed in the second half after coach brought on Christy Ucheibe, Gift Monday, Regina Otu, Uchenna Kanu and Macleans Chinonyerem.

These players are younger than the ones they substituted and their energy shone through.
Fans' Reminder

Nigerians fans are easy to praise as well as condemn in equal proportion.

When the Falcons kept the ball better in the second half, they cheered every move by the Super Falcons and jeered their opponents.
That seemed to boost the confidence of the girls and a reminder of who they are in African football.
Re: Nigeria Female National Teams' Thread by carbonado(m): 10:15am On Jul 08, 2022
Schemerkhiz:

Coach Randy Waldrum is the team problem right now, he's having selection problem... Select the rightful ones and make your job easy, don't know if he's scared of the Veterans and big names.

Christy Ucheibe: Had an instant impact after replacing Chikwelu at half-time with a headed goal from Payne's corner kick in the 48th minute. The Combative Midfielder was Full of running and helped keep up pressure on Botswana's defence, I wonder why have been keeping her on the bench. She has no business there .. A combination of Ayinde, Ucheibe, Ajibade// Okobi will definitely be the Superfalcons best Midfield Combo as Ucheibe brings a lot of energy to the Midfield couple with Ayinde own again we're good to go..

Gift Monday: Great game from the young lad... Replaced Ordega in the 63rd minute and could have got an assist if Onumonu had scored from her perfectly weighted pass. Could have grabbed a goal herself but her weak header was saved. The left footer look so comfortable with the ball at her feet, an excellent ball passer, the future is surely bright for her. Hopefully she would get to move abroad soon to improve her qualities more..

Regina Otu: Came on for Okobi in the 63rd minute to add more legs to the midfield. The Midfield didn't have the luxury of shining as Christy Ucheibe stole the show...

Uchenna Kanu: Replaced Ajibade in the 75th minute and she helped keep possession and add an attacking drive. Not a bad cameo but I'm still wondering why Randy haven't started her.

Maclean's Chinonyerem : Came on for Onumonu who deserved rest after a lot of tireless running in the 82nd minute. Nothing spectacular though but she surely need more minutes to prove her worth her well built physic will definitely come handy for the Superfalcons...

....Super falcon is the most talented squad from Africa, no team including south Africa,have such fire power, the problem is the coach,let him go back to his college abeg. If it was Desiree Ellis(south African coach) that have the kind of players we have, omo it would have been over, because every other team sabi say them came to fight for world cup slot and not AWCON title. We have our own desirre Ellis in people like Florence Omogbemi, Mercy Akide, but we still have not giving them the chance. If we qualify for the world cup, i do not wish Randy coaches us then. It is either he cant read an ongoing game quickly or he is scared of some players/people.
Re: Nigeria Female National Teams' Thread by carbonado(m): 10:19am On Jul 08, 2022
The last 20 + mins of the game was very fluid, i am sure the South African will be watching that our match against botswana, and hoping we played a draw, so the y kick us out of the tournament by going to playing a draw with botswana in the 3 match. Also the last 20 mins will tell the south Africans that, Nigerian tem have great players, however it selection that is a problem, so they no to watch their back, they can take the Aisha buhari cup, we would take the AWCON cool

4 Likes

Re: Nigeria Female National Teams' Thread by solonnachi: 10:23am On Jul 08, 2022
Schemerkhiz:
Coach Randy Waldrum is the team problem right now, he's having selection problem... Select the rightful ones and make your job easy, don't know if he's scared of the Veterans and big names.

Christy Ucheibe: Had an instant impact after replacing Chikwelu at half-time with a headed goal from Payne's corner kick in the 48th minute. The Combative Midfielder was Full of running and helped keep up pressure on Botswana's defence, I wonder why have been keeping her on the bench. She has no business there .. Ucheibe is the missing link in the Midfield, Very Combative and Energetic… with her and Ayinde and either Okobi or Ajibade in Midfield things will surely flow well…
Ucheibe covers a lot of Ground as she's a born hustler very tireless her effect was felt the moment she came in, need I say more. Halimatu was more mobile and effective. No need for Rita abeg, she can come in the 85th Minutes when we we need to see games out and for her to increase her caps too �.

Gift Monday: Great game from the young lad... Replaced Ordega in the 63rd minute and could have got an assist if Onumonu had scored from her perfectly weighted pass. Could have grabbed a goal herself but her weak header was saved. The left footer look so comfortable with the ball at her feet, an excellent ball passer, the future is surely bright for her. Hopefully she would get to move abroad soon to improve her qualities more..

Regina Otu: Came on for Okobi in the 63rd minute to add more legs to the midfield. The Midfield didn't have the luxury of shining as Christy Ucheibe stole the show...

Uchenna Kanu: Replaced Ajibade in the 75th minute and she helped keep possession and add an attacking drive. Not a bad cameo but I'm still wondering why Randy haven't started her.

Maclean's Chinonyerem : Came on for Onumonu who deserved rest after a lot of tireless running in the 82nd minute. Nothing spectacular though but she surely need more minutes to prove her worth her well built physic will definitely come handy for the Superfalcons...

Randy should play his young 2nd 11 in the next match. The future is bright...
Re: Nigeria Female National Teams' Thread by solonnachi: 10:26am On Jul 08, 2022
carbonado:
The last 20 + mins of the game was very fluid, i am sure the South African will be watching that our match against botswana, and hoping we played a draw, so the y kick us out of the tournament by going to playing a draw with botswana in the 3 match. Also the last 20 mins will tell the south Africans that, Nigerian tem have great players, however it selection that is a problem, so they no to watch their back, they can take the Aisha buhari cup, we would take the AWCON cool

grin grin Exactly

5 Likes

Re: Nigeria Female National Teams' Thread by Danielnino00(m): 10:41am On Jul 08, 2022
JohnBullMySon:
I know losses can be frustrating to but we throw tantrums a lot. One loss and everyone's bitching everywhere.

So people aren't allowed to air their view again?
We shouldn't call out the coach after his rubbish team selection in yhe first game?
If we can't do all that, then what's the point of being fans?

4 Likes

Re: Nigeria Female National Teams' Thread by carbonado(m): 10:47am On Jul 08, 2022
Danielnino00:

We shouldn't call out the coach after his rubbish team selection in yhe first game?
.....coach wey we suppose don fire, you think if it was the North Africans that was in our shoes,they wont have fired him, he should go back to college where it is all kumbaya. National team is about pride and honour.
Re: Nigeria Female National Teams' Thread by isan(m): 11:19am On Jul 08, 2022
Onumonu should have at least score 2 goals yesterday she was wasteful
Re: Nigeria Female National Teams' Thread by isan(m): 11:33am On Jul 08, 2022
Waldrum is having serious selection headache , he doesn't know who should and who shouldn't
Re: Nigeria Female National Teams' Thread by mostob(m): 11:45am On Jul 08, 2022
BascoVanVeli:

Be careful before someone starts calling u a racist grin
grin grin grin
They should bring it on....it is not strange to me again...One already called me a simp days ago.
Re: Nigeria Female National Teams' Thread by mostob(m): 11:47am On Jul 08, 2022
semid4lyfe:

I agree cos it'll be suicidal to play two slow centre backs

I think Ebi is better than Ohale so I'll rather bench Ohale for Ashleigh Plumptre.

My back four would be Payne (LB), Plumptre (LCB), Ebi (RCB) and Alozie (RB).
Ohale is actually the fastest of the trio. Ebi is likely the slowest but when last has she made a mistake leading to goal?

3 Likes

Re: Nigeria Female National Teams' Thread by mostob(m): 11:49am On Jul 08, 2022
Samueltemi337:
Toni Payne should Mount that LB position from now on

but it seems she links with ordega Better

Ashleigh Plumptre can start ahead of ohale
I agree on Tony Payne mounting the LB but that should be on the short run. She is too intelligent to play the LB for us. We need her upfront.
Re: Nigeria Female National Teams' Thread by mostob(m): 11:52am On Jul 08, 2022
lovewins:

Toni Payne is noth an LB. If we meet a team with very mobile wingers we'll be punished cause we'll be left exposed most if the time. But when we meet lower ranked team I think we can stick to this strategy.

One thing has become obvious, the super falcons lacks wingers. So far all we have her makeshifts. We need to get true wingers into the team.

It'
how many times were we left exposed yesterday? If you watch the match yesterday, you'd notice both FBs rarely attack at the same time. Forget it chief... No winger in Africa can get the better of the Tony I watched yesterday.

3 Likes

Re: Nigeria Female National Teams' Thread by mostob(m): 11:55am On Jul 08, 2022
lovewins:

Bro, you're being disingenuous. What "errors" are you referring to? First, it's clear to everyone that Ashleigh was played out of position, but she despite that put up an A game. Yes the first goal was as a result of her being beaten by her man, but she made efforts to slow down the South African, so our next man can stop the ball comfortably which Sadly Ebi didn't do. Any sincere person obviously wouldn't absolve her of responsibility from the first girl, but neither will Ebi be absolved. She as responsible as Ashleigh was.

We can't also say she hasn't "shown" she is better. She's had a few games for the Falcons some of which she's being played out if position and she's done very well in my opinion. This takes nothing from Ebi. She's obviously the most experienced and she's also done very well for us the last 2 games.

If I were the coach, I'll play Ebi and Ashleigh and bench Ohale.
Good... Now, let me ask you,had it been Ebi was the one who made the mistake for South Africa's first goal, would you have written such a long post to defend her? The last time Ashleigh played as a centre back for us, I don't see how she is better than Ebi honestly. Anyway, Ebi will likely retire soon so the CB will soon be Ashleigh's.
Re: Nigeria Female National Teams' Thread by mostob(m): 11:57am On Jul 08, 2022
carbonado:
The last 20 + mins of the game was very fluid i am sure the South African will be watching that our match against botswana, and hoping we played a draw, so the y kick us out of the tournament by going to playing a draw with botswana in the 3 match. Also the last 20 mins will tell the south Africans that, Nigerian tem have great players, however it selection that is a problem, so they no to watch their back, they can take the Aisha buhari cup, we would take the AWCON cool
very fluid...I was shocked TBH...I had to check if it was the falcons that was playing

3 Likes

Re: Nigeria Female National Teams' Thread by JohnBullMySon: 12:02pm On Jul 08, 2022
Danielnino00:

You don't get the point. First lemme just say I don't like people who react too quickly, are impatient or I feel are too sentimental. Secondly I'm generally not quick to blame coaches no matter who it is because the job itself is dicey and you can make wrong decisions not because you're poor. That's just the volatile nature of football. You can choose to field a player who has performed well in training only to be disappointed on the pitch. You cant control the actions of players -directly- and you can't judge a player based on a single poor game. So saying a coach makes poor selections based on one or two games is plain silly.

The most rational way to judge a coach's performance is one; how appropriate are his substitutions? Two; how tactically diverse is he? Randy's substitutions were on point yesterday. He isn't a god to know who will perform poorly on the pitch after a good training showing.
Re: Nigeria Female National Teams' Thread by JohnBullMySon: 12:05pm On Jul 08, 2022
AndSunGorilla:

Oga me ni be tantrum be dis?
Anti-tantrum tantrum grin
Re: Nigeria Female National Teams' Thread by Deltamani: 12:17pm On Jul 08, 2022
Action from Super Falcons' 2-0 victory over Botswana at the 2022 WAFCON tournament in Morocco on Thursday.

@cafwomenfootball
@womeninsportsphotography

#WAFCON2022
#SoarSuperFalcons
#Goingfor10

Re: Nigeria Female National Teams' Thread by Deltamani: 12:18pm On Jul 08, 2022
I'm not surprised about Randy Waldrum's poor attitude & game plan.

He's a NUGA coach, the job is bigger
than him.

Super Falcons have won 9 AFCON titles & qualified for all World Cup, Randy is not on the same level as the team.

NFF gave him the biggest job of his life.

2 Likes

Re: Nigeria Female National Teams' Thread by Deltamani: 12:23pm On Jul 08, 2022
mostob:
I agree on Tony Payne mounting the LB but that should be on the short run. She is too intelligent to play the LB for us. We need her upfront.

I blame Randy though, Picking Glory Ogbonna when you know too well that you ain’t going to use her and she’s not good enough…

Talking about pace and power no body come close to Patricia George in that position… Randy better win the AWCON to save his Ass if not we’re coming for his head.!

3 Likes

Re: Nigeria Female National Teams' Thread by Deltamani: 12:32pm On Jul 08, 2022
He's free to say this because those who hired him only celebrate colours, not what a coach has to offer. There are Nigerian coaches better than him. If NFF had allowed Florence Omagbemi grow with the team things would have been different.. Mercy Akide again is also sound even though she’s also a University Coach like Randy she understands African football more than Randy and she’s an Ex-international who has seen it all in Africa and the World at large. She knows the pressure that comes with Coaching Nigeria National team…

NFF should just give this ladies the chances to handle the team.. not rotating Wemimo and Ann around the various teams for over 10years now. What's the difference between him and Nigerian coaches. South Africa had defeated these foreign coaches more than the way they did to against the Home based Coaches .

4 Likes 1 Share

Re: Nigeria Female National Teams' Thread by Schemerkhiz: 12:45pm On Jul 08, 2022
Randy lost back-to-back games to SA & he said, it doesn't mean anything, the fans & media should hug him. His team played poorly in his first WAFCON game & managed 2 goals against Botswana.

You can only get such a statement from a coach who is not at the same level as the team.

I have done my best, right now I'm no longer in for this..

2 Likes

Re: Nigeria Female National Teams' Thread by lovewins: 1:13pm On Jul 08, 2022
Schemerkhiz:
Randy lost back-to-back games to SA & he said, it doesn't mean anything, the fans & media should hug him. His team played poorly in his first WAFCON game & managed 2 goals against Botswana.

You can only get such a statement from a coach who is not at the same level as the team.

The statement from Randy is quite unfortunate. Women's sport naturally doesn't have large following, so any media attention whatsoever good or bad is a positive for the game. He's largely responsible for the teams problem and in my opinion the media has been fair to him. It's obvious he isn't used to this kind of scrutiny, won't blame him though, you don't get that much scrutiny as an NCAA coach. I blame those who gave him the job.
Re: Nigeria Female National Teams' Thread by Danielnino00(m): 1:14pm On Jul 08, 2022
JohnBullMySon:
You don't get the point. First lemme just say I don't like people who react too quickly, are impatient or I feel are too sentimental. Secondly I'm generally not quick to blame coaches no matter who it is because the job itself is dicey and you can make wrong decisions not because you're poor. That's just the volatile nature of football. You can choose to field a player who has performed well in training only to be disappointed on the pitch. You cant control the actions of players -directly- and you can't judge a player based on a single poor game. So saying a coach makes poor selections based on one or two games is plain silly.

The most rational way to judge a coach's performance is one; how appropriate are his substitutions? Two; how tactically diverse is he? Randy's substitutions were on point yesterday. He isn't a god to know who will perform poorly on the pitch after a good training showing.

People who reacted to the SA game weren't harsh,neither were they too quick...They are people who most likely have been following the super falcons for long and saw how Randy has handled the team... He hasn't made any improvement...
The man is just another version of Rohr..

1 Like

Re: Nigeria Female National Teams' Thread by Danielnino00(m): 1:36pm On Jul 08, 2022
I have a question...

In the event that we win the tournament, will Oshoala get a winners medal?
She is officially part of our squad but now withdrawn..Will that affect her chance of getting a medal?
Re: Nigeria Female National Teams' Thread by TheSuperNerd(m): 1:38pm On Jul 08, 2022
solonnachi:

Nerdie.... I am really enjoying your analysis and highlights. Please don't leave this thread...You are one of the reasons I love to read comments on the sports section on nairaland.

You flatter me once again, my good man.

Thanks for the fine feedback and thanks for reading.

I appreciate, truly. smiley

It's all for the beautiful women's game. Cheers.

1 Like

Re: Nigeria Female National Teams' Thread by TheSuperNerd(m): 1:43pm On Jul 08, 2022
Danielnino00:
I have a question...

In the event that we win the tournament, will Oshoala get a winners medal?
She is officially part of our squad but now withdrawn..Will that affect her chance of getting a medal?

Did Pele not get a WC winners' medal despite missing the majority of the 1962 WC? Got injured about 1 or 2 games into the tournament and Garrincha carried them to the final. Pele still got his medal.

So, Oshoala, being part of the official squad, will surely get her medal, my good Dan. wink

Even GKs who don't play a single min get medals. grin

Just hoping we indeed win to show Africa the wicked depth of this team. What a story it will be... Winning even in the absence of your biggest gun and Africa's finest. Oh what a story. Only Waldrum can stop it.

Anyway, we move.

1 Like

Re: Nigeria Female National Teams' Thread by Schemerkhiz: 1:46pm On Jul 08, 2022
Danielnino00:

People who reacted to the SA game weren't harsh,neither were they too quick...They are people who most likely have been following the super falcons for long and saw how Randy has handled the team... He hasn't made any improvement...
The man is just another version of Rohr..

Randy Waldrum wants to coach the biggest and most successful team in Africa, and he doesn't want the media & fans to have an opinion.

The media in Morocco have cooperated with his poor management, how that statement came out of his mouth proved the job is bigger than him.

2 Likes

Re: Nigeria Female National Teams' Thread by Schemerkhiz: 1:47pm On Jul 08, 2022

than him.

Super Falcons have won 9 AFCON titles & qualified for all World Cup, Randy is not on the same level as the team.

3 Likes

Re: Nigeria Female National Teams' Thread by TheSuperNerd(m): 1:52pm On Jul 08, 2022
Schemerkhiz:

than him.

@OgaNlamedia.... is that you? wink

1 Like

Re: Nigeria Female National Teams' Thread by TheSuperNerd(m): 1:53pm On Jul 08, 2022
Schemerkhiz:

Randy Waldrum wants to coach the biggest and most successful team in Africa, and he doesn't want the media & fans to have an opinion.

The media in Morocco have cooperated with his poor management, how that statement came out of his mouth proved the job is bigger than him.

Is it or is it not you? grin

1 Like

Re: Nigeria Female National Teams' Thread by isan(m): 1:56pm On Jul 08, 2022
Maybe you should tell us what happened with Patricia George and the coaching crew
Schemerkhiz:

(1) (2) (3) ... (395) (396) (397) (398) (399) (400) (401) ... (1075) (Reply)

The NBA Begins / "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup

Viewing this topic: 2 guest(s)

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 81
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.