Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,165,515 members, 7,861,476 topics. Date: Saturday, 15 June 2024 at 12:56 PM

Nigeria Female National Teams' Thread - Sports (594) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Entertainment / Sports / Nigeria Female National Teams' Thread (838986 Views)

NFF, Nike Set To Unveil New Kits For National Teams / Meet Chinyelu Asher Who Leads Jamaican Female National Team / Nigerian Coaches Who Have Coached Foreign Clubs And National Teams (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) ... (591) (592) (593) (594) (595) (596) (597) ... (1088) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Nigeria Female National Teams' Thread by lovewins: 12:27pm On Jan 03, 2023
Deltamani:

Okoronkwo have started training with the whole squad at her Clubside but have not started playing yet..

Should be fully ready by March..

This could be a problem though, as she would likely only be a part of camp pre-world up. If she starts playing regularly before the end of the month, just maybe that could work in her favour. She hardly ever makes my consideration whenever I think of the world cup. Time isn't exactly in her favour
Re: Nigeria Female National Teams' Thread by lovewins: 12:30pm On Jan 03, 2023
Happy birthday to my Favourite Super Falcons player yet

The Perpetual Nwkocha

3 Likes

Re: Nigeria Female National Teams' Thread by mostob(m): 1:30pm On Jan 03, 2023
lovewins:

One could argue that Chikwelu deserves to be considered ahead of Onome. Rita at the very least plays week in week out. Onome hasn't seen club football for well over a year. She was clubless for a long time before getting this move to Spain, and she almost always makes the bench still.

I really wish they both could be excluded. I understand the need to consider them as this would be their last world cup, we however do not have the team depth required to make sacrifices like this. I however still think at least one, if not both of them will make the list. Na naija we dey.
Funny enough, Onome usually put up the better show anytime we're playing despite her club situation.

1 Like

Re: Nigeria Female National Teams' Thread by lovewins: 1:44pm On Jan 03, 2023
mostob:
Funny enough, Onome usually put up the better show anytime we're playing despite her club situation.

I agree.

That's the only thing going for Onome at the moment. Asides this, you'll have to look away from many other things to include her. The challenge with this is we'll be setting a precedent that won't be good for the team. If you can "bend the rules" for Onome, why not for someone else.

3 Likes

Re: Nigeria Female National Teams' Thread by Deltamani: 3:30pm On Jan 03, 2023
lovewins:

One could argue that Chikwelu deserves to be considered ahead of Onome. Rita at the very least plays week in week out. Onome hasn't seen club football for well over a year. She was clubless for a long time before getting this move to Spain, and she almost always makes the bench still.

I really wish they both could be excluded. I understand the need to consider them as this would be their last world cup, we however do not have the team depth required to make sacrifices like this. I however still think at least one, if not both of them will make the list. Na naija we dey.

This is Nigeria and it would shock you that both will even go to the World Cup

1 Like

Re: Nigeria Female National Teams' Thread by AkinDS: 5:37pm On Jan 03, 2023
Not a single Naija college player on the upcoming 2023 NWSL draft list.
Yet, we have a Ghanaian, Moroccan and South African on the list.
Na wah!

https://www.nwslsoccer.com/news/2023-nwsl-draft-live-registration-list

1 Like

Re: Nigeria Female National Teams' Thread by Deltamani: 7:33pm On Jan 03, 2023
AkinDS:
Na wah!

They still have from now till 9th of January to register, even some of the big collegiate I’m hoping to see, I haven’t seen their name on the list yet..

Morayo Adenegan, Nicole Payne, Onyi Echegini, Lily Babalola are some of the eligible Nigerian, among this four, two of them ain’t going pro, one already working on her Masters.. Only Onyi and Payne that I’m certain are going Pro and there can be offers from Europe already waiting for them.. No need for the rush.

By the way during the Draft only 48players get picked.

1 Like

Re: Nigeria Female National Teams' Thread by BascoVanVeli(m): 4:17pm On Jan 04, 2023
Top players on display for Edo Queens against Ibom Angels. That Nkiruka is a mini giant ooo

2 Likes

Re: Nigeria Female National Teams' Thread by Deltamani: 6:12pm On Jan 04, 2023
Half Time Results #NWFL23

�Bayelsa Queens 2-0 Osun Babes
[Flourish Sabastine 4', Etim Edidiong 9']

�Ibom Angels 0-2 Edo Queens
[Rebecca Ajimuda 30' 39]

�Abia Angels 0-0 Adamawa Queens

�Delta Queens 0-0 Naija Ratels

�Heartland Queens 0-0 Rivers Angels

�Nasarawa Amazons 1-2 Confluence Queens
[Titilayo Aweda 24', Chioma Moses 10' 45']

2 Likes

Re: Nigeria Female National Teams' Thread by Deltamani: 6:29pm On Jan 04, 2023
AkinDS:
Na wah!

I just went to the league site and Nighswonger who’s arguably one of the best if not the best set pieces taker in the college game still hasn’t declared her intention for the draft. Not everyone wants to play in the NWSL

1 Like

Re: Nigeria Female National Teams' Thread by Deltamani: 6:46pm On Jan 04, 2023
Full Time Results #NWFL23 #MatchWeek5

�Bayelsa Queens 4-0 Osun Babes
[Flourish Sabastine 4', Etim Edidiong 9', Mwaka Mupeta 80', Zainab Olopade 84' ]

�Ibom Angels 0-2 Edo Queens
[Rebecca Ajimuda 30' 39]

�Abia Angels 1-0 Adamawa Queens
[Nkechi Agams 86']

�Delta Queens 2-0 Naija Ratels
[Chinaza Agoh 55', Taiwo Afolabi 80']

�Nasarawa Amazons 2-3 Confluence Queens
[Titilayo Aweda 24' 55 | Chioma Moses 10' 45', Mary Opara 73']

3 Likes 1 Share

Re: Nigeria Female National Teams' Thread by timay1: 6:48pm On Jan 04, 2023
Deltamani:

I just went to the league site and Nighswonger who’s arguably one of the best if not the best set pieces taker in the college game still hasn’t declared her intention for the draft. Not everyone wants to play in the NWSL

Everyone, both young, new and old players are running away from the NWSL now. They now prefer Europe or Mexico
Re: Nigeria Female National Teams' Thread by lovewins: 6:53pm On Jan 04, 2023
Deltamani:

And some just aren't ready.

For some, they'll like to finish their degrees before going pro.
Re: Nigeria Female National Teams' Thread by Deltamani: 6:57pm On Jan 04, 2023
timay1:

Everyone, both young, new and old players are running away from the NWSL now. They now prefer Europe or Mexico

It’s quite shocking not seeing her name alongside Echegini yet.. Her (Nighswonger )2022 campaign was her best yet, notching 16 assists (leading all active seniors)

Some of them also prefer to move to Sweden and Iceland.. I’m not really a fan of the Icelandic Women’s League but how the American girls tends to run there still surprises me.

1 Like

Re: Nigeria Female National Teams' Thread by Deltamani: 6:58pm On Jan 04, 2023
lovewins:

And some just aren't ready.

For some, they'll like to finish their degrees before going pro.

Yeah yeah some of them prefer to spend maybe two more years first as Graduate players before going pro..

1 Like

Re: Nigeria Female National Teams' Thread by lovewins: 7:02pm On Jan 04, 2023
Deltamani:

Yeah yeah some of them prefer to spend maybe two more years first as Graduate players before going pro..

And that's typical really for folks with Nigerian heritage.

In the WNBA, the ogwumikes I think finished at Stanford before enlisting for the draft. Numerous number of persons did same.

Courtney Dike finished with school before making a decision on what direction she'll like to go.

Even Favour Ofili was reportedly offered a contract to go pro last year, but chose to continue at LSU.

Tobi Amusan finished too at Texas before going pro.

Alozie is able to further cause she fulfilled a critical part of he course.

Of course not everyone will, but anyone of Nigerian heritage that went the school route is almost likely to finish before enlisting
Re: Nigeria Female National Teams' Thread by Deltamani: 7:03pm On Jan 04, 2023
Onyi Echegini

From 2019/20– 2022/23
College Career;
Total number of game played.. 63
Total number of game started.. 55
Total number of Goals Scored.. 22
Total number of Assists.. 12

1 Like

Re: Nigeria Female National Teams' Thread by Deltamani: 7:33pm On Jan 04, 2023
timay1:

UCLA striker Mia Fishel was drafted fifth overall in the first round of the 2021 NWSL Draft to the Orlando Pride. Except Fishel never played for the Pride, instead she used the draft to assess her options. With the start of her potential future in the NWSL set for her, Fishel sought other offers before eventually agreeing to join Tigres Femenil in Mexico. A year later, Fishel won the league’s Golden Boot and helped lead them to a championship.

“I wasn't expecting to be here [Mexico] a couple of months ago, but with the whole NWSL draft, I felt like I wanted to take control of my own destiny and where I want to play, and with the draft, you just can't do that,” Fishel explained to GOAL.

Fishel isn’t the only one. Catarina Macario went straight from Stanford to European club football (Lyon) without ever declaring for the draft. As did Canadian talents Jessie Fleming (UCLA to Chelsea) and Deanne Rose (University of Florida to Reading).

1 Like

Re: Nigeria Female National Teams' Thread by Danielnino00(m): 8:10pm On Jan 04, 2023
Deltamani:

Yeah yeah, was surely a full packed stadium but can’t recall the actual number.. though the stadium capacity is 40K

With that kind of atmosphere, one would have expected the super falcons to lost..But they came out tops .. I think that tournament proved how good Omagbemi team was...

Looking back at it, I can't entirely fault Waldrum for the outcome of the Morocco game.. their fans were more intimidating than this Cameroon crowd..not to mention the bias officiating..
Re: Nigeria Female National Teams' Thread by BascoVanVeli(m): 8:15pm On Jan 04, 2023
Danielnino00:

With that kind of atmosphere, one would have expected the super falcons to lost..But they came out tops .. I think that tournament proved how good Omagbemi team was...

Looking back at it, I can't entirely fault Waldrum for the outcome of the Morocco game.. their fans were more intimidating than this Cameroon crowd..not to mention the bias officiating..

I respectfully disagree about the crowd and ref. Everyone including the commentators wanted the Super Falcons to lose that match. The calls that were overlooked were way worse than what we saw against Morocco. That was probably the toughest AFCON the Super Falcons ever lifted.

3 Likes

Re: Nigeria Female National Teams' Thread by Danielnino00(m): 8:35pm On Jan 04, 2023
BascoVanVeli:

I respectfully disagree about the crowd and ref. Everyone including the commentators wanted the Super Falcons to lose that match. The calls that were overlooked were way worse than what we saw against Morocco. That was probably the toughest AFCON the Super Falcons ever lifted.

IMO, the presence of VAR in Morocco was the difference between both games.. VAR was supposed to eliminate the problem of poor officiating, rather it aided it..

1 Like

Re: Nigeria Female National Teams' Thread by mostob(m): 9:31pm On Jan 04, 2023
Deltamani:
Half Time Results #NWFL23
�Bayelsa Queens 2-0 Osun Babes [Flourish Sabastine 4', Etim Edidiong 9']
�Ibom Angels 0-2 Edo Queens [Rebecca Ajimuda 30' 39]
�Abia Angels 0-0 Adamawa Queens
�Delta Queens 0-0 Naija Ratels
�Nasarawa Amazons 1-2 Confluence Queens [Titilayo Aweda 24', Chioma Moses 10' 45']
Glad to see our flamingoes representing.
Re: Nigeria Female National Teams' Thread by timay1: 10:09pm On Jan 04, 2023
Deltamani:

UCLA striker Mia Fishel was drafted fifth overall in the first round of the 2021 NWSL Draft to the Orlando Pride. Except Fishel never played for the Pride, instead she used the draft to assess her options. With the start of her potential future in the NWSL set for her, Fishel sought other offers before eventually agreeing to join Tigres Femenil in Mexico. A year later, Fishel won the league’s Golden Boot and helped lead them to a championship.

“I wasn't expecting to be here [Mexico] a couple of months ago, but with the whole NWSL draft, I felt like I wanted to take control of my own destiny and where I want to play, and with the draft, you just can't do that,” Fishel explained to GOAL.

Fishel isn’t the only one. Catarina Macario went straight from Stanford to European club football (Lyon) without ever declaring for the draft. As did Canadian talents Jessie Fleming (UCLA to Chelsea) and Deanne Rose (University of Florida to Reading).

The draft system is really stupid and will never work for football in particular. It's one of the reason the Men's MLS is still shit after all the year of injecting money into it. A system that doesn't reward success nor failure. No relegation or promotion. Nothing.

Imagine players not having the choice to choose a team they want and the league deciding a team for them.
Re: Nigeria Female National Teams' Thread by lovewins: 10:19pm On Jan 04, 2023
timay1:

The draft system is really stupid and will never work for football in particular. It's one of the reason the Men's MLS is still shit after all the year of injecting money into it. A system that doesn't reward success nor failure. No relegation or promotion. Nothing.

Imagine players not having the choice to choose a team they want and the league deciding a team for them.

It's how American sports in general work. They have built a system where players transition from high school to college then to professional sports. Football (or soccer like they like to call it) isn't an American sport. They sadly are yet to realize that what works for other sports may not necessarily apply to football.

1 Like

Re: Nigeria Female National Teams' Thread by Deltamani: 11:59pm On Jan 04, 2023
Congratulations to Evelyn Ijeh who has been called up to the Swedish Senior Women National Team..

3 Likes 1 Share

Re: Nigeria Female National Teams' Thread by Deltamani: 7:57am On Jan 05, 2023
Egypt hosts the North African Women's Championship tournament from February 13 to 23, with the participation of Egypt, Morocco, Tunisia, and Algeria.

Re: Nigeria Female National Teams' Thread by mostob(m): 11:01am On Jan 05, 2023
Deltamani:
Congratulations to Evelyn Ijeh who has been called up to the Swedish Senior Women National Team..
Her sister may likely follow suit
Re: Nigeria Female National Teams' Thread by Deltamani: 12:36pm On Jan 05, 2023
Out of 18 Africa Women Player Of The Year Given out so far since 2001.

Nigeria have won 12 out of the Individual Award.

1 - Mercy Akide (2001 - The first winner of the Individual Award)

2x - Cynthia Uwak (2006/2007)

4x - Perpetua Nkwocha (2004/2005/2010/2011)

5x - Asisat Oshoala (2014/2016/2017/2019/2022)

Class

2 Likes 1 Share

Re: Nigeria Female National Teams' Thread by isan(m): 3:00pm On Jan 05, 2023
we had 2 reds in Morrocco
BascoVanVeli:

Re: Nigeria Female National Teams' Thread by isan(m): 3:07pm On Jan 05, 2023
most of our squad has never played under the immense pressure in front of 45k away fans
Danielnino00:

Re: Nigeria Female National Teams' Thread by Deltamani: 3:52pm On Jan 05, 2023
isan:
most of our squad has never played under the immense pressure in front of 45k away fans

Most of our squad haven’t played under which immense pressure what?

Onome Ebi, Osinachi Ohale, Ngozi Okobi, Halimatu Ayinde, Rita Chikwelu, Uchenna Kanu… All this ladies have had the experience before and more at the National team level and Clubside…
Re: Nigeria Female National Teams' Thread by daveP(m): 4:03pm On Jan 05, 2023
So happy for what Sebastine and Etim are turning into. Definitely going to be face of the SF in coming years. We still have Onyenezide, Abiodun, Imuran, Blessing, Omilana, to mention a few.

(1) (2) (3) ... (591) (592) (593) (594) (595) (596) (597) ... (1088) (Reply)

The NBA Begins / "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup

Viewing this topic: lovewins

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 51
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.