Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,165,342 members, 7,860,867 topics. Date: Friday, 14 June 2024 at 05:37 PM

Nigeria Female National Teams' Thread - Sports (749) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Entertainment / Sports / Nigeria Female National Teams' Thread (838471 Views)

NFF, Nike Set To Unveil New Kits For National Teams / Meet Chinyelu Asher Who Leads Jamaican Female National Team / Nigerian Coaches Who Have Coached Foreign Clubs And National Teams (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) ... (746) (747) (748) (749) (750) (751) (752) ... (1088) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Nigeria Female National Teams' Thread by potland: 12:32pm On Jul 23, 2023
Jamaica holding france by the balls. This is good for womens football. The gulf is gradually closing

1 Like

Re: Nigeria Female National Teams' Thread by potland: 12:47pm On Jul 23, 2023
BankyGee:

They're both good in their own different aspects. Flourish Sabastine is a good dribbler, deft feet and mostly a clinical finisher while Opeyemi Ajakaye is a fast, pacy winger who's capable of running into spaces effortlessly and can outrun a defender that has even made a run before her lol... She has a problem with finishing tho. If she can rectify that problem, then we'll have an Asisat Oshoala Pro with a Kevin de Bruyne
is opeyemi they say can used both feet

1 Like 1 Share

Re: Nigeria Female National Teams' Thread by hatakekakashi: 1:02pm On Jul 23, 2023
BankyGee:

Oparanozie would've scored that goal! How come no one is talking about the 1v1 shot Uchenna Kanu played straight at the goalkeeper?
Because it was ruled offside, in the buildup.

1 Like 1 Share

Re: Nigeria Female National Teams' Thread by CoolJulian: 1:07pm On Jul 23, 2023
lovewins:
You guys need to tone down on the incessant call for Sebastien, Onyenezide and Ajakaye to be included in the Super Falcons. You don't know how ridiculous it's beginning to sound.

Due to our emotional attachments, we sometimes hype players beyond their current capabilities. Don't get me wrong I believe they have great potentials, but that doesn't necessarily translate into their present reality. Also, age grade competition doesn't mean you can now compete with pros.

Ajakaye for instance was highest goal scorer in the qualifiers in our Zone. When she got to the world stage, she had just one goal and one assist at the u17 level.

Flourish Sebastien is a great talent, but had just 1 goal and zero assist at the u20 level. Same Flourish didn't even start for Bayelsa United at the CAF women's Champion's league had zero goals and suddenly she's better than super falcons players? . Both Flourish and Ajakaye play in the NWFL. How many goals did they have last season? If we had a NWFL team of the season, will they even make the list?

We traditionally take players from the u17/u20 to join the Super falcons campaign to the world cup for many years. This year wasn't any different. We have 3 players from the 2022 u20 squad in the team and 2 of them started the last game. To show how good and improved they are, all of them are no longer in Nigeria. One is playing D1 college football in the US and the other 2 are pros in France.

Let's allow these girls to grow and support them while doing it. If I were Sebastian and Ajakaye, I'll take the Deborah Abiodun route. Get a D1 college team in the US and grow from there. Don't let us hurry these girls before their time. It's how Nwakali got hurried into the super eagles and he's been shut out since then. Let's allow them grow.

This is exactly what I've been wondering. How they hype players who played at age grade competitions to the extent of rating them above experienced, talented and exposed players is beyond my comprehension. I think we should pray they get signed by quality clubs in Europe or America cos those young players are really talented but very raw and unexposed.
Re: Nigeria Female National Teams' Thread by lovewins: 1:20pm On Jul 23, 2023
CoolJulian:

This is exactly what I've been wondering. How they hype players who played at age grade competitions to the extent of rating them above experienced, talented and exposed players is beyond my comprehension. I think we should pray they get signed by quality clubs in Europe or America cos those young players are really talented but very raw and unexposed.

It was beginning to sound ridiculous. It's like saying cause someone is good enough for a master's degree cause he did well in Jamb. The challenges are different and so outcomes will be too.

Making reference to Caicedo who by the way is a generational talent and plays for Real Madrid as reason for their inclusion is just being delusional.
Re: Nigeria Female National Teams' Thread by Deltamani: 1:37pm On Jul 23, 2023
🚨FT: 🇫🇷France 0-0 🇯🇲Jamaica

Jamaica earn their first-ever point at the Women’s World Cup after holding favourites France to a barren draw.

It’s the first time the Reggae Girls have avoided defeat at World Cup. Unfortunately, star player Khadija Shaw got red carded in the fiery game.

2 Likes 1 Share

Re: Nigeria Female National Teams' Thread by Jojodjo: 1:45pm On Jul 23, 2023
Thank you; exactly what I wanted to say.
It's people like them that clamored and shouted that Anthony Okpotu was better than Ighalo.
The same them said Junior Lokosa was our new Yekini.
It's annoying how they analyse and hype players they like not minding if their inclusion in the national team won't yield anything positive.
lovewins:
You guys need to tone down on the incessant call for Sebastien, Onyenezide and Ajakaye to be included in the Super Falcons. You don't know how ridiculous it's beginning to sound.

Due to our emotional attachments, we sometimes hype players beyond their current capabilities. Don't get me wrong I believe they have great potentials, but that doesn't necessarily translate into their present reality. Also, age grade competition doesn't mean you can now compete with pros.

Ajakaye for instance was highest goal scorer in the qualifiers in our Zone. When she got to the world stage, she had just one goal and one assist at the u17 level.

Flourish Sebastien is a great talent, but had just 1 goal and zero assist at the u20 level. Same Flourish didn't even start for Bayelsa United at the CAF women's Champion's league had zero goals and suddenly she's better than super falcons players? . Both Flourish and Ajakaye play in the NWFL. How many goals did they have last season? If we had a NWFL team of the season, will they even make the list?

We traditionally take players from the u17/u20 to join the Super falcons campaign to the world cup for many years. This year wasn't any different. We have 3 players from the 2022 u20 squad in the team and 2 of them started the last game. To show how good and improved they are, all of them are no longer in Nigeria. One is playing D1 college football in the US and the other 2 are pros in France.

Let's allow these girls to grow and support them while doing it. If I were Sebastian and Ajakaye, I'll take the Deborah Abiodun route. Get a D1 college team in the US and grow from there. Don't let us hurry these girls before their time. It's how Nwakali got hurried into the super eagles and he's been shut out since then. Let's allow them grow.
Re: Nigeria Female National Teams' Thread by Deltamani: 2:00pm On Jul 23, 2023
Thoughts on the red? 🔴🇯🇲

Re: Nigeria Female National Teams' Thread by M7even(m): 2:08pm On Jul 23, 2023
lovewins:

You forgot to add that this group of girls recently played the WAFU under 20 and lost the finals to Ghana on penalties.
Re: Nigeria Female National Teams' Thread by codemaniacs: 2:31pm On Jul 23, 2023
lovewins:

Nnadozie was signed by an European club after the 2019 world cup because she was called up and included in the world cup squad and was also our main goal keeper.

If she wasn't in that squad, she wouldn't be where she is today.

Players like Sebastian and Ajakaye need the same exposure Nnadozie got so that they can sign for good European teams.

This is not men's football, FAs around the world and in Europe are protectionist about foreigners in their women's clubs..

Nwakali exclusion from the team is due to the league he plays in and not his football talents and also due to the incompetence in the coaching crew of the Super Eagles..

Same way Gift Orban, Victor Boniface, Terem Moffi, Nathan Teller have not been called up..

Even Emmanuel Adebayor, David Alaba, karim Adeyemi, Musiala, Saka, Eze wasn't called up and given minutes.

it's better to rush them and cap tie them than saying let them grow..

Infact, due to the caliber of players Super Eagles have failed and are failing to call up you're saying rubbish.
Re: Nigeria Female National Teams' Thread by BascoVanVeli(m): 2:35pm On Jul 23, 2023
lovewins:

Ajakaye and Flourish made their names at world cups so I don't think bringing up stats will slow anyone down. But I do think we should forget about everyone and focus on the 23 players representing us at the World Cup. After the tournament we can get back to the original program grin
Re: Nigeria Female National Teams' Thread by codemaniacs: 2:39pm On Jul 23, 2023
BascoVanVeli:

Ajakaye and Flourish made their names at world cups so I don't think bringing up stats will slow anyone down. But I do think we should forget about everyone and focus on the 23 players representing us at the World Cup. After the tournament we can get back to the original program grin

If we forget about them.. they won't be called up until the year 2030.
Re: Nigeria Female National Teams' Thread by Deltamani: 2:48pm On Jul 23, 2023
Report has it that Australian embassy is intentionally delaying Nigerian supporters club Visa ahead of super falcons encounter with the host country.

1 Like

Re: Nigeria Female National Teams' Thread by lovewins: 2:57pm On Jul 23, 2023
codemaniacs:

Nnadozie was signed by an European club after the 2019 world cup because she was called up and included in the world cup squad and was also our main goal keeper.

Players like Sebastian and Ajakaye need the same exposure Nnadozie got so that they can sign for good European teams.

This is not men's football, FAs around the world and in Europe are protectionist about foreigners in their women's clubs..

Nwakali exclusion from the team is due to the league he plays in and not his football talents and also due to the incompetence in the coaching crew of the Super Eagles..

Same way Gift Orban, Victor Boniface, Terem Moffi, Nathan Teller hasn't been called up..

Even Emmanuel Adebayor, David Alaba, karim Adeyemi, Musiala, Saka, Eze wasn't called up and given minutes.

Infact, due to the caliber of players Super Eagles have failed and are failing to call up you're saying rubbish.

You're all over the place with you argument so I don't even know how to respond. I'll try though.

1. You say Nnadozie, I say Demehin, Abiodun and Imuran. Point is we have members of the u20 class in that team and it wasn't like they were ignored. The coach went for players he felt would help his team. I stand corrected (maybe Deltamani will help us out) but this team probably has one of the highest number of u20 inclusions the super falcons have seen.

2. Sebastien and Ajakaye already have exposure. What better exposure do you need than playing at the world stage? Sebastine herself has featured for the Super Falcons and have been given minutes. She also played at the CAF champions league. What other exposure are we talking about? Of course with time she'll grow into a role in the falcons, but to say she hasn't got significant exposure for clubs to sign her is being dishonest. It is from that same u20 that both Demehin and Imuran for a professional contract in France. It's from that same exposure Caicedo got signed by Real Madrid.

3. Nwakali literally got a chance in the last AFCON. Against odds Eguavon put him in the team and have him significant minutes. To claim otherwise will be dishonest.

4. Your later point on Adeyemi, Alaba etc isn't even close to the subject of discussion. But for the sake of argument, none of those players ever wanted to or desired to play for Nigeria. Saka recently visited Nigeria and acknowledged same. Same as Alaba and Adeyemi. An invitation wouldn't have changed anything. Eze who was the closest got called to camp, hit when his fortunes changed he refused subsequent calls. Even if we had played him at the time, according to FIFA rules he still could change allegiance.

I'll give a closer example to illustrate this. Evelyn ijeh was called to the 2021 Super Falcons camp in June. She's a fantastic forward who I still hope will play for Nigeria. She had earlier represented Sweden at the youth stage and played in the Swedish league. By October, she got called up by the Swedish u23 team. He family was elated and she dumped being a prospective Super Falcons player for a chance to play with Sweden u23. Just a few days ago she scored an hatrick for them. Point is, you can't force players to wear the shirt. I shouldn't even comment on this cause it's far from the argument being made, but it's all good.
Re: Nigeria Female National Teams' Thread by lovewins: 2:58pm On Jul 23, 2023
BascoVanVeli:

I agree. It's why I advice that we tone down in the rhetoric. Really rooting for both of them sha.
Re: Nigeria Female National Teams' Thread by timay1: 3:20pm On Jul 23, 2023
Deltamani:

Yeah their League is now no.5 in Europe unlike before where everybody wanted to play in Sweden Women’s League, very bad they couldn’t maintain the standard

Not maintaining the standard is probably not their fault to be fair. It's just that the top traditional leagues have more money and are now spending them on their leagues unlike in the past when they don't care about women football (England and Spanish league especially). Those two leagues are now the most sought after in Europe for women's football.
Re: Nigeria Female National Teams' Thread by timay1: 3:22pm On Jul 23, 2023
BascoVanVeli:

I started watching around the 10 minutes mark so I only noticed after the goal grin that's shocking cos u can't miss her with Barcelona.

Barca has a system, everyone knows their role. Also, she's carrying a knee injury that hasn't healed. They had to inject her with a lot of pain kilers for the UWCL final
Re: Nigeria Female National Teams' Thread by daveP(m): 3:32pm On Jul 23, 2023
yinkeys:
I haven’t pretty much observed Sebastian
Is she as good as Ajakaiye?

Sebastine is the better player all rounder. Especially teamplay. Ajakaye is more selfish than Flourish to a annoying level but can be refined to become a big plus for her. Sebastine in this squad after 3 games will end up being the most fouled, and I'm not mincing words. But she's not here so we move.

1 Like

Re: Nigeria Female National Teams' Thread by daveP(m): 3:33pm On Jul 23, 2023
Deltamani:
Well with the terrible football 🇿🇲 Zambia played against Japan 🇯🇵 I don't see this happening
This is not cosafa cup, Olympics or a friendly match. This is the world cup. Zambia will be lucky to even score a goal, The earlier Zambians understand this, The better …!
They easily forget that isolating her and whoever will give her a long pass is very easy to do. Plus they played crap vs Japan. No vibe or passion.
Re: Nigeria Female National Teams' Thread by codemaniacs: 3:47pm On Jul 23, 2023
daveP:

Sebastine is the better player all rounder. Especially teamplay. Ajakaye is more selfish than Flourish to a annoying level but can be refined to become a big plus for her. Sebastine in this squad after 3 games will end up being the most fouled, and I'm not mincing words. But she's not here so we move.

The same Sebastian was the reason the U20 didn't get to the semi-final because she wanted to dribble every defender instead of passing into the box.

Anytime Ajakaye was at the wings she always crosses or passes the ball into the box.

Sebastian also falls down a lot and in the world cup the referees won't blow their whistle for her.

Ajakaye is more of a team player than Sebastian. Ajakaye will press, close gaps, run to the wings and pass or cross which can also give the SF corner kicks.

While Sebastian will run to the wings and try to drive into the box with step-overs or pace to try and score on her own and she can also win the SF penalties if the referees are fare.

Oshoala was fouled and the referee didn't call it a foul.

2 Likes 1 Share

Re: Nigeria Female National Teams' Thread by Danielnino00(m): 4:40pm On Jul 23, 2023
codemaniacs:

Same way Gift Orban, Victor Boniface, Terem Moffi, Nathan Teller have not been called up..

Don't belittle Nnadozie like that...Those of us that watched her at the u-20 world cup in 2018 prior to the women world cup the following year can attest to how good she was .. she and Ajibade were exceptional out of that poorly coached team lead by Danjuma... She rightly earned her spot in the world cup squad...
Flourish and Ajakiaye are talented,but we have enough players in their position currently so they will have to wait their time, plus,let's be honest, they are still raw... There's plenty of time on their side...

2 Likes 1 Share

Re: Nigeria Female National Teams' Thread by Deltamani: 5:19pm On Jul 23, 2023
Pic 1: Jamaicans celebrating on the field after holding France down.

Pic 2: They extended the party to the dressing room. Mad vibes.😉😉😉

This is what it means for a 43rd ranked team to earn a point playing against the fifth side.

1 Like

Re: Nigeria Female National Teams' Thread by PDPGuy: 5:55pm On Jul 23, 2023
Deltamani:
🚨FT: 🇫🇷France 0-0 🇯🇲Jamaica

Jamaica earn their first-ever point at the Women’s World Cup after holding favourites France to a barren draw.

It’s the first time the Reggae Girls have avoided defeat at World Cup. Unfortunately, star player Khadija Shaw got red carded in the fiery game.

Kudos to the Jamaican ladies for holding their own against one of the best in world!
I think this result is the second biggest upset (per FIFA ranking) in WWC history, after Ghana (then ranked 52) defeated Australia (ranked 15th) at the 2003 WC

3 Likes 1 Share

Re: Nigeria Female National Teams' Thread by ThePresenceWtf: 6:12pm On Jul 23, 2023
lovewins:

It was beginning to sound ridiculous. It's like saying cause someone is good enough for a master's degree cause he did well in Jamb. The challenges are different and so outcomes will be too.

Making reference to Caicedo who by the way is a generational talent and plays for Real Madrid as reason for their inclusion is just being delusional.

I totally agree with you for the most part, but I think any comparisons between Caicedo and Flourish is also valid. Linda has had more exposure than Flourish, as she's been with the Colombian women's national team for over 5 years now, in fact since when she was a 14yr old, so invariably she'll also have more experience than Flourish. She's where she is now, not only because of her talent, but also because someone saw it fit to take a punt at an inexperienced 14yr old girl. Same could be said of Maika Hamano too who Chelsea signed. She got noticed because she plays for a known team and the Japanese national team.

Flourish is highly talented and her types are a rarity in the women's game, but she's not gonna be that "Next thing" if all she does is play in the NWPL. For all the talent(s) someone may have, if they aren't given the opportunities, then it'll all go to waste.,

PS: Colombia has a better women's football program than Nigeria ( I don't even know if we'll call ours a program, tbh). Some of these girls even the boys from South America always go to football camps and programs all around Europe to be discovered or given the opportunities while ours have to either fund themselves or get exploited by these "So called agents" and other shoddy characters and farmed out like labor slaves to Kazakstan, Azerbaijan and other countries I can't even spell just to get a head start in football...Smh.
Re: Nigeria Female National Teams' Thread by BascoVanVeli(m): 6:54pm On Jul 23, 2023
codemaniacs:

If we forget about them.. they won't be called up until the year 2030.

Lol no just until our last day of the world cup
Re: Nigeria Female National Teams' Thread by ThePresenceWtf: 7:06pm On Jul 23, 2023
I just rewatched the Nigeria v Canada game.

Damn!! Oshoala really messed up big time twice in that one play. We could have actually won a penalty there ( at 34' ) because the Canadian goalkeeper actually clipped Oshoala's legs and completely missed the ball when she came for it but Oshoala decided to stay up even when she was unbalanced 🤦‍♂️, Not only that, she somehow contrived to shoot with the outside of her boot from a tight angle instead of controlling, set up and calmly shooting with her instep! ( What Kinda magic was she hoping to conjure with an outside the boot shot from a tight angle? ) 😩🤷🏽‍♂️

Also, Why was Francisca the only person able to get into the 18 in that play, despite being on the same line on the field ( Latitude ) with Deborah and Ifeoma when that play started?. In fact Deborah stopped running all together and was watching that even Toni who was way behind her caught up with Francisca trying to rebound or win the ball back up the field....and Deborah played as the number 10 in the first half 🤦‍♂️

4 Likes

Re: Nigeria Female National Teams' Thread by BascoVanVeli(m): 8:04pm On Jul 23, 2023
ThePresenceWtf:
I just rewatched the Nigeria v Canada game.

Damn!! Oshoala really messed up big time twice in that one play. We could have actually won a penalty there ( at 34' ) because the Canadian goalkeeper actually clipped Oshoala's legs and completely missed the ball when she came for it but Oshoala decided to stay up even when she was unbalanced 🤦‍♂️, Not only that, she somehow contrived to shoot with the outside of her boot from a tight angle instead of controlling, set up and calmly shooting with her instep! ( What Kinda magic was she hoping to conjure with an outside the boot shot from a tight angle? ) 😩🤷🏽‍♂️

Also, Why was Francisca the only person able to get into the 18 in that play, despite being on the same line on the field ( Latitude ) with Deborah and Ifeoma when that play started?. In fact Deborah stopped running all together and was watching that even Toni who was way behind her caught up with Francisca trying to rebound or win the ball back up the field....and Deborah played as the number 10 in the first half 🤦‍♂️

That was a pass by oshoala. She wasn't even looking at the goal, she tried to make the unrushing player score an owngoal. If she controls the ball there was a player right behind her.

I also think Toni switched with Deborah after that Oshoala foul, u could see her having a long conversation with Waldrum. After that she was almost always ahead of Deborah

1 Like 1 Share

Re: Nigeria Female National Teams' Thread by Kibbs(m): 9:18pm On Jul 23, 2023
It is my pleasure to tell you that everything you typed from top to bottom absolutely makes so sense and reeks of sentiments without any sensible logic whatsoever. You’ll be fine.
codemaniacs:

Re: Nigeria Female National Teams' Thread by mostob(m): 10:09pm On Jul 23, 2023
codemaniacs:

The same Sebastian was the reason the U20 didn't get to the semi-final because she wanted to dribble every defender instead of passing into the box.

Anytime Ajakaye was at the wings she always crosses or passes the ball into the box.

Sebastian also falls down a lot and in the world cup the referees won't blow their whistle for her.

Ajakaye is more of a team player than Sebastian. Ajakaye will press, close gaps, run to the wings and pass or cross which can also give the SF corner kicks.

While Sebastian will run to the wings and try to drive into the box with step-overs or pace to try and score on her own and she can also win the SF penalties if the referees are fare.

Oshoala was fouled and the referee didn't call it a foul.

I'm sorry to say, you analyse football like a toddler at times. I'm here LMAO grin grin
Re: Nigeria Female National Teams' Thread by naijaseeker: 12:18am On Jul 24, 2023
BascoVanVeli:

That was a pass by oshoala. She wasn't even looking at the goal, she tried to make the unrushing player score an owngoal. If she controls the ball there was a player right behind her.

I also think Toni switched with Deborah after that Oshoala foul, u could see her having a long conversation with Waldrum. After that she was almost always ahead of Deborah

My thoughts too. She should have held on a bit. Oparanozie, Okobi, Ajibade etc would have held on
Re: Nigeria Female National Teams' Thread by daveP(m): 12:24am On Jul 24, 2023
Magaia wasn't even in the screen space by the time Kgatlana's space took up the ball to set up that goal. What's wrong with African teams?😤😤😤
Lucky goal, but why don't they attack in numbers? It's annoying? See sweden putting 6 bodies forward.

South Africa can't even defend setpieces. 😤🤣🤣🤣

All the red cards so far have something in common. Lets see how Germany do MAR.
Re: Nigeria Female National Teams' Thread by codemaniacs: 5:35am On Jul 24, 2023
mostob:
I'm sorry to say, you analyse football like a toddler at times. I'm here LMAO grin grin

You're the toddler.

(1) (2) (3) ... (746) (747) (748) (749) (750) (751) (752) ... (1088) (Reply)

The NBA Begins / "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup

Viewing this topic: BascoVanVeli(m), PDPGuy, lovewins and 2 guest(s)

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 122
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.