Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,158,557 members, 7,837,149 topics. Date: Wednesday, 22 May 2024 at 05:49 PM

Nigeria Female National Teams' Thread - Sports (990) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Entertainment / Sports / Nigeria Female National Teams' Thread (819182 Views)

NFF, Nike Set To Unveil New Kits For National Teams / Meet Chinyelu Asher Who Leads Jamaican Female National Team / Nigerian Coaches Who Have Coached Foreign Clubs And National Teams (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) ... (987) (988) (989) (990) (991) (992) (993) ... (1078) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Nigeria Female National Teams' Thread by Deltamani: 9:28am On Feb 15
Update: 4 Goals In 6 Games... Jennifer Echegini Is Turning Serie A Into A Mickey Mouse League 🇳🇬🦅

The 22-year-old Nigerian playmaker, yesterday helped Juventus women beat Inter Milan away from home.

She did it with ease, to the dismay of the hosts. The Super Falcons player now has 4 Goals for Juventus Ladies.

JOE MONTEMURRO’S COMMENTS
“It was the kind of game that I expected from the girls, despite the difficult pitch that made it hard to play as we would have liked to play. It wasn’t easy to get the ball rolling in midfield, but we were able to reorganise ourselves from the start and we were able to take all three points.
“We were very solid defensively and I can only congratulate the girls for that.
“[Joe] Echegini’s impact has been very good, and it’s showing on the pitch. She’s the king of player I like, she doesn’t speak too much but she shows what she’s worth in games. She’s always paying attention throughout the week to what we want to do, and then she’s able to give everything for 90 minutes. What she’s doing on the pitch speaks for itself and she’s scoring goals and playing well.”
JOE ECHEGINI’S POST-MATCH WORDS

“It feels amazing [to score my first brace for Juventus], the team played amazing. I’m really excited for the next game. To come over to a good side and win the derby is amazing, I’m just really excited for the next games now.”
"I didn’t actually know it was four goals [in five games], I haven’t been keeping count. But I think one of the better aspects of my game is the ability to score so I always have confidence in front of goal and try to find myself in front of goal. Sometimes you have to just have to just go for it and see what happens, and be more eager to go and get the ball.”

1 Like

Re: Nigeria Female National Teams' Thread by Deltamani: 9:48am On Feb 15
Defensively Randy Waldrum regular 4–2–3–1 is just like 4–5–1 or 4–4–1–1.

Randy Waldrum better stick to the usual 4–2–3–1 of Christy Ucheibe and Halimatu Ayinde as our Double Pivot with Tony Payne in front of them just behind the Forwards.., Onyi Echegini is blistering fine at Juventus but have an Impressive Tony Payne to face for that spot.. Another stiff competition.

I think what is lacking in this formation is that typical aggressive no.9 who can Score with the minimum Chance available, hold on to play, be aggressive in front of goal, press high and well like Osimhen and can rap the ball very well without losing it.. ( Asisat Oshoala, Iffy Onumonu, Esther Okoronkwo, Macleans Chinonyerem)..

Our Wing Forward is highly Covered, really want to see how Rinsola Babajide fits into Randy Game plan… But again I like the Competition she will be giving our regular (Rasheedat Ajibade and Uchenna Kanu on the Flanks)..

1 Like

Re: Nigeria Female National Teams' Thread by CoolJulian: 10:18am On Feb 15
mostob:
I agree with everything except where you said Iwobi was too soft. He was played out of position and still have his best. Moreso, the formation and tactic employed by the coach doesn't favour the attacking players.

Sorry, he's right, Iwobi was too soft.
Re: Nigeria Female National Teams' Thread by mostob(m): 12:23pm On Feb 15
CoolJulian:

Sorry, he's right, Iwobi was too soft.
well.. it's your opinion.
Re: Nigeria Female National Teams' Thread by Deltamani: 1:06pm On Feb 15
🇪🇸 Vicky López receives her first senior call-up at just 17 years old

1 Share

Re: Nigeria Female National Teams' Thread by timay1: 1:31pm On Feb 15
Deltamani:
🇪🇸 Vicky López receives her first senior call-up at just 17 years old

It's gone.

Anyways, it was delusional in the first place to think that she'll play for any other team but Spain

2 Likes

Re: Nigeria Female National Teams' Thread by Deltamani: 2:03pm On Feb 15
𝗖𝗢𝗡𝗙𝗜𝗥𝗠𝗘𝗗 ~📨
BlackQueens of Ghana 🇬🇭 squad for #Paris2024 Round 3 Olympic Qualifiers against Zambia👇🏾

Re: Nigeria Female National Teams' Thread by GeneralDae: 2:08pm On Feb 15
Deltamani:
𝗖𝗢𝗡𝗙𝗜𝗥𝗠𝗘𝗗 ~📨
BlackQueens of Ghana 🇬🇭 squad for #Paris2024 Round 3 Olympic Qualifiers against Zambia👇🏾
I have watched both teams play in 2023 and to be honest I think Ghana has no chance here. The attacking duo of Banda and Kundinanji is deadly but even more important is the fluidity in the Zambian team. That Ghanaian side would struggle with it.
Re: Nigeria Female National Teams' Thread by solonnachi: 2:39pm On Feb 15
Deltamani:
𝗖𝗢𝗡𝗙𝗜𝗥𝗠𝗘𝗗 ~📨

When will Super Falcons list be made public? Time is going oooo?
Re: Nigeria Female National Teams' Thread by naptu2: 2:55pm On Feb 15
List?

1 Like

Re: Nigeria Female National Teams' Thread by Deltamani: 3:55pm On Feb 15
GeneralDae:

I have watched both teams play in 2023 and to be honest I think Ghana has no chance here. The attacking duo of Banda and Kundinanji is deadly but even more important is the fluidity in the Zambian team. That Ghanaian side would struggle with it.

Ghana have been building their team for a long while now, I don’t think the game is going to be an outright Victory for Zambia as you have just said it.. it’s a 50/50 game as it stands even though the Zambians side look dangerous upfront. But again I would want our West African Neighbors to go through at least to reduce the noise Making from the Zambians

1 Like

Re: Nigeria Female National Teams' Thread by solonnachi: 4:55pm On Feb 15
naptu2:
List?

Why does the NFF not like making our list public? Is this also a strategy to conceal what opponents should expect? Since this Gusau's tenure, all our list has been too secretive.

1 Like 1 Share

Re: Nigeria Female National Teams' Thread by solonnachi: 4:56pm On Feb 15
naptu2:
List?

Is 23rd and 26th not too short? What time will players have to recuperate? Mind you, the first leg is next week Friday

1 Like 1 Share

Re: Nigeria Female National Teams' Thread by lovewins: 5:00pm On Feb 15
Randy Waldrum returns as Head Coach as NFF releases 21 invited for the Super Falcons Olympics qualifiers duel with Cameroon

List attached below

3 Likes

Re: Nigeria Female National Teams' Thread by Deltamani: 5:12pm On Feb 15
BREAKING!!!
NFF has released a 21-player invitation next week’s 2024 Women’s Olympic Football Tournament qualifying fixture against the Indomitable Lionesses of Cameroon.

Goalkeepers:
Chiamaka Nnadozie (Paris FC, France);
Tochukwu Oluehi (Shualat Alsharqia FC, Saudi Arabia); Linda Jiwuaku (Bayelsa Queens, Nigeria🇳🇬).

Defenders:
Osinachi Ohale (Pachucha Club de Futbol, Mexico); Ashleigh Plumptre (Ittihad Ladies, Saudi Arabia); Oluwatosin Demehin (Stade de Reims, France);
Michelle Alozie (Houston Dash, USA);
Akudo Ogbonna (Remo Stars Ladies, Nigeria🇳🇬);
Rofiat Imuran (Stade de Reims, France).

Midfielders:
Deborah Abiodun (University of Pittsburgh, USA); Halimatu Ayinde (FC Rosengard, Sweden);
Christy Ucheibe (SL Benfica, Portugal);
Jennifer Echegini (Juventus Ladies, Italy);
Rasheedat Ajibade (Atletico Madrid FC, Spain);
Toni Payne (Sevilla FC, Spain).

Forwards:
Omorinsola Babajide (UDG Tenerife, Spain);
Esther Okoronkwo (Henan FC, China);
Ifeoma Onumonu (SLC Utah, USA);
Asisat Oshoala (Bay FC, USA);
Uchenna Kanu (Racing Louisville, USA);
Gift Monday (UDG Tenerife, Spain)

2 Likes

Re: Nigeria Female National Teams' Thread by Deltamani: 5:30pm On Feb 15
The list is typically Randy Waldrum list but again the Goalkeeping Department… Why bring in Bayelsa Queens goalkeeper Jiwuaku Linda (17yrs) to the super falcon team when she hasn’t even been able to hold on to a spot in the U20 team, Through out the U20 World Cup qualifiers she didn’t make the final squad for any of the games, at Club level she hasn’t played any game as she’s behind Onyinyechi Okeke and Monle Omini..

Again she has been picked also for the All Africa Games with the U20 so which one will she attend, anyway good experience for her, She’s my kind of goalkeeper though as she give that Legendary Germany Goalkeeper Nadine Angerer vibes, Good Height and Physique..

1 Like

Re: Nigeria Female National Teams' Thread by GeneralDae: 5:53pm On Feb 15
Deltamani:
BREAKING!!!
NFF has released a 21-player invitation next week’s 2024 Women’s Olympic Football Tournament qualifying fixture against the Indomitable Lionesses of Cameroon.

Goalkeepers:
Chiamaka Nnadozie (Paris FC, France);
Tochukwu Oluehi (Shualat Alsharqia FC, Saudi Arabia); Linda Jiwuaku (Bayelsa Queens, Nigeria🇳🇬).

Defenders:
Osinachi Ohale (Pachucha Club de Futbol, Mexico); Ashleigh Plumptre (Ittihad Ladies, Saudi Arabia); Oluwatosin Demehin (Stade de Reims, France);
Michelle Alozie (Houston Dash, USA);
Akudo Ogbonna (Remo Stars Ladies, Nigeria🇳🇬);
Rofiat Imuran (Stade de Reims, France).

Midfielders:
Deborah Abiodun (University of Pittsburgh, USA); Halimatu Ayinde (FC Rosengard, Sweden);
Christy Ucheibe (SL Benfica, Portugal);
Jennifer Echegini (Juventus Ladies, Italy);
Rasheedat Ajibade (Atletico Madrid FC, Spain);
Toni Payne (Sevilla FC, Spain).

Forwards:
Omorinsola Babajide (UDG Tenerife, Spain);
Esther Okoronkwo (Henan FC, China);
Ifeoma Onumonu (SLC Utah, USA);
Asisat Oshoala (Bay FC, USA);
Uchenna Kanu (Racing Louisville, USA);
Gift Monday (UDG Tenerife, Spain)
Akudo Ogbonna again? Na wa.
Re: Nigeria Female National Teams' Thread by Deltamani: 6:06pm On Feb 15
Linda Jiwuaku (6 June 2006, 17yrs) has potential though… her grips look good and her aerial ball command is pretty okay for an U20 goalkeeper…

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=75ymwYnON4w?feature=shared

So many Similarities between Linda Jiwuaku and Nadine Angerer, This girl has potential but really need to be nurtured…

1 Like

Re: Nigeria Female National Teams' Thread by Deltamani: 6:12pm On Feb 15
GeneralDae:

Akudo Ogbonna again? Na wa.

Randy Waldrum knows her too well and she’s Definitely there as an alternative for Ohale and Demehin, if need be at CB, Ashleigh Plumptre can also move back to CB with Imuran coming in to Left Back..

1 Like

Re: Nigeria Female National Teams' Thread by AndSunGorilla: 6:47pm On Feb 15
lovewins:
Randy Waldrum returns as Head Coach as NFF releases 21 invited for the Super Falcons Olympics qualifiers duel with Cameroon

List attached below
Assuming we qualify for the Olympics and we have to take only 18 players, wh are the three to be sacrificed in your opinion?

@Deltamami too and everyone.
Re: Nigeria Female National Teams' Thread by naptu2: 6:48pm On Feb 15
Lauren Hemp from Man City to Barcelona to solve their number 9 problem?

Emma Hayes refuses to talk about the stories that Sonia Bompastor will move from Lyon to Chelsea to replace her when she goes to the US.

https://twitter.com/SkySportsNews/status/1758162029762818070?t=YhM0HPfsS6Dwbv8vHlqoJw&s=19
Re: Nigeria Female National Teams' Thread by lovewins: 7:00pm On Feb 15
AndSunGorilla:

Assuming we qualify for the Olympics and we have to take only 18 players, wh are the three to be sacrificed in your opinion?

Drop one goalkeeper. Drop Akudo and drop Monday Gift or Esther Okoronkwo depending on who's in form

1 Like

Re: Nigeria Female National Teams' Thread by isan(m): 7:52pm On Feb 15
Dropping 1 goalkeeper is not a good choice, what if 1 goalkeeper get injured ? So we will be playing without backup goalkeeper
lovewins:

Drop one goalkeeper. Drop Akudo and drop Monday Gift or Esther Okoronkwo depending on who's in form
Re: Nigeria Female National Teams' Thread by Deltamani: 7:55pm On Feb 15
🚨The Indomitable Lionesses of Cameroon training as they prepare for this month’s double-tie Olympic Games qualifiers against Nigeria.

1 Like

Re: Nigeria Female National Teams' Thread by lovewins: 8:16pm On Feb 15
isan:
Dropping 1 goalkeeper is not a good choice, what if 1 goalkeeper get injured ? So we will be playing without backup goalkeeper

The Olympic games for football holds typically in 2 week so 2 goalkeepers should suffice.

Also teams traditionally use 2 goalkeepers for the Olympics save for 2020 when the squad number was increased due to COVID. In essence I am not particularly suggesting something novel.

1 Like

Re: Nigeria Female National Teams' Thread by AndSunGorilla: 9:15pm On Feb 15
lovewins:

If we drop Akudo that would mean going in with just 5 Defenders. That I think could be very risky. I agree with dropping 1 GK.
Re: Nigeria Female National Teams' Thread by lovewins: 9:44pm On Feb 15
AndSunGorilla:

If we drop Akudo that would mean going in with just 5 Defenders. That I think could be very risky. I agree with dropping 1 GK.

Not quite. The thing about an 18 man list is that you have limitations about the players you can go with. Goalkeepers already have 2 Slot, you then have at least 10 players to make the first 11. What you have left is 6 spots as subs so you see why I did what I did.

What you'll instead pay attention to is the kind of personnel you include. Your alternates have to be players that can play several roles. For instance Uchiebe serves as 6th defender if need be cause she can play defence. Alozie can play as a forward should the need arise. Ajibade can function as both midfielder and forward.
Re: Nigeria Female National Teams' Thread by AndSunGorilla: 9:58pm On Feb 15
lovewins:

Not quite. The thing about an 18 man list is that you have limitations about the players you can go with. Goalkeepers already have 2 Slot, you then have at least 10 players to make the first 11. What you have left is 6 spots as subs so you see why I did what I did.

What you'll instead pay attention to is the kind of personnel you include. Your alternates have to be players that can play several roles. For instance Uchiebe serves as 6th defender if need be cause she can play defence. Alozie can play as a forward should the need arise. Ajibade can function as both midfielder and forward.
Valid submissions sir. I personally would leave Akudo as the 6th defender. I would drop à goalie and I would drop 2 out of Monday Gift, Rinsola and Esther. I believe Rashidat, Toni Payne and Echegini can play in the wings too.
And maybe you are right, am sure Ayinde and Ucheibe, even Debbie too.
Re: Nigeria Female National Teams' Thread by Deltamani: 9:58pm On Feb 15
AndSunGorilla:

If they’re all in form, this would be my 18players list..
Goalkeepers
1. Chiamaka Nnadozie
2. Tochukwu Oluehi

Defenders:
3. Osinachi Ohale
4. Ashleigh Plumptre
5. Oluwatosin Demehin
6. Michelle Alozie
7. Rofiat Imuran

Midfielders:
8. Deborah Abiodun
9.Halimatu Ayinde
10. Christy Ucheibe
11. Jennifer Echegini
12. Rasheedat Ajibade
13. Toni Payne

Forwards:
14. Omorinsola Babajide
15. Esther Okoronkwo
16. Ifeoma Onumonu
17. Asisat Oshoala
18. Uchenna Kanu
Re: Nigeria Female National Teams' Thread by Deltamani: 10:01pm On Feb 15
Deltamani:

Goalkeepers
1. Chiamaka Nnadozie
2. Tochukwu Oluehi

Defenders:
3. Osinachi Ohale
4. Ashleigh Plumptre
5. Oluwatosin Demehin
6. Michelle Alozie
7. Rofiat Imuran

Midfielders:
8. Deborah Abiodun
9.Halimatu Ayinde
10. Christy Ucheibe
11. Jennifer Echegini
12. Rasheedat Ajibade
13. Toni Payne

Forwards:
14. Omorinsola Babajide
15. Esther Okoronkwo
16. Ifeoma Onumonu
17. Asisat Oshoala
18. Uchenna Kanu

Most of the players are highly Versatile, Rofiat Imuran gives yu a Left Back and a Left Winger..

We have a lot of versatility in Midfield here, Only Tony Payne gives you a Midfielder, a winger and a Full Back.. That’s a lot. Ucheibe as a good CB, DM and Box2Box Midfield.. Ayinde can as well play Box2Box, @U17 she was more of an attacking Midfielder… Onyi Echegini & Rash gives yu a Midfielder and a winger

1 Like

Re: Nigeria Female National Teams' Thread by AndSunGorilla: 10:05pm On Feb 15
Deltamani:

Goalkeepers
1. Chiamaka Nnadozie
2. Tochukwu Oluehi

Defenders:
3. Osinachi Ohale
4. Ashleigh Plumptre
5. Oluwatosin Demehin
6. Michelle Alozie
7. Rofiat Imuran

Midfielders:
8. Deborah Abiodun
9.Halimatu Ayinde
10. Christy Ucheibe
11. Jennifer Echegini
12. Rasheedat Ajibade
13. Toni Payne

Forwards:
14. Omorinsola Babajide
15. Esther Okoronkwo
16. Ifeoma Onumonu
17. Asisat Oshoala
18. Uchenna Kanu
Well written.
Re: Nigeria Female National Teams' Thread by isan(m): 10:34pm On Feb 15
Only injuries can change this list
Deltamani:

Goalkeepers
1. Chiamaka Nnadozie
2. Tochukwu Oluehi

Defenders:
3. Osinachi Ohale
4. Ashleigh Plumptre
5. Oluwatosin Demehin
6. Michelle Alozie
7. Rofiat Imuran

Midfielders:
8. Deborah Abiodun
9.Halimatu Ayinde
10. Christy Ucheibe
11. Jennifer Echegini
12. Rasheedat Ajibade
13. Toni Payne

Forwards:
14. Omorinsola Babajide
15. Esther Okoronkwo
16. Ifeoma Onumonu
17. Asisat Oshoala
18. Uchenna Kanu

(1) (2) (3) ... (987) (988) (989) (990) (991) (992) (993) ... (1078) (Reply)

The NBA Begins / "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup

Viewing this topic: 1 guest(s)

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 46
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.