Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,150,604 members, 7,809,199 topics. Date: Friday, 26 April 2024 at 04:48 AM

My Experience As An Undergraduate: Freshers Take Note - Education - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Education / My Experience As An Undergraduate: Freshers Take Note (19936 Views)

5 Important Things To Take Note When Registering For Post UTME 2018 / Hardest Course(s) You Did In School As An Undergraduate. / Which Of These Sentences Scares You Most As An Undergraduate? (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (Reply) (Go Down)

My Experience As An Undergraduate: Freshers Take Note by omosefeeguaibor(f): 11:17pm On Oct 11, 2016
Hello! Nlanders, i feel I should share one of my greatest experience while I was in school as regards academic.

4years ago, I got the best news of my life when I was told I've been admitted into the university of my choice, I was so happy that I was carried away with the joy of being an undergraduate. I got advice from family and folks alike, but little did I know I was going to a world of absolute independence, where no one was going to ask you why or not you don't come for classes.

Indeed to an extent I can say I'm a B+ student, and with that thought I was good to go, I really was not so carried away with life on campus, I had fun when I ought to, and also studied when I should.

Fast forward to first semester exam, I did my best with the thought that at the end of my 1st semester exams my department was going to keep my results. As soon as first semester result was pasted on the board, I checked mine it was an ok grade told myself there was still room to do better. little did I know that I was suppose to get a good book, where I ought to record all these results that were pasted on the board, and I was nonchalant about it, until I got to my final year, there and then I noticed that all my results have been posted online, from year 1 to 4 in my academic account. And it was absolutely different from what I have been seeing with my eyes. I tried to rectify this error, and I was told to bring all the grades I have seen on the board, which was absolutely impossible because I did not have it on record, secondly, university is not like secondary school, where your subject teacher has that time to start looking for your results. The final grading I had online was a far cry from what I aimed for, it took lot of letters, and knocking from one lecturer's door, to another to get my accurate details, which was a herculean task. I was in school for months, when most of my colleagues were basking in the euphoria of being a graduate.

But at the end of it all and with God on by side my results were rectified, my HOD had to open my details from first year and it was discovered that there was a mistake while updating my results online.

In summary to all I've said, I would implore fresh students coming in, to have a book to write down details of your results. Nobody told me this, but experience taught me in the hardest of way. Thank God it wasn't worse and I'm smiling over it today.

66 Likes 5 Shares

Re: My Experience As An Undergraduate: Freshers Take Note by LMandela(m): 11:21pm On Oct 11, 2016
wtf?

2 Likes

Re: My Experience As An Undergraduate: Freshers Take Note by suwalee(f): 11:35pm On Oct 11, 2016
LMandela:
wtf?
that's the epilectic mode of education we av in naija....@op congrats

2 Likes

Re: My Experience As An Undergraduate: Freshers Take Note by superfelix: 12:06am On Oct 12, 2016
chai!..happy for you oh.
Re: My Experience As An Undergraduate: Freshers Take Note by alatbaba1(m): 12:44am On Oct 12, 2016
your own better ... mine was similar, i thought i was going to graduate with distinction, but to my greatest surprise my CGPA was reduced from 3.72 to 3.43, not only myself but all my class members, a friend CGPA was reduced from 3.99 to 3.49, the guy wan faint, reason been that too much of students had distinctions and cant be allowed.

thought of getting a lawyer but when i remember many of my friends that passed out with pass nko, i sharply changed my mind. i thank God

2 Likes 1 Share

Re: My Experience As An Undergraduate: Freshers Take Note by Jamaticulus(m): 2:36am On Oct 12, 2016
This could be from one of those universities in the IPOB region.

3 Likes 3 Shares

Re: My Experience As An Undergraduate: Freshers Take Note by bolaji3071(m): 5:01am On Oct 12, 2016
God bless you op for this write up... Will definitely do that
Re: My Experience As An Undergraduate: Freshers Take Note by GdexFolami(m): 5:39am On Oct 12, 2016
My own candid advice is to always check the noticeboard of every department you're offering its course.It happened to me in my year1 like dz,we did practical in a course in which the dept z upstairs asin its isolated to the place where we normally collect lecture then.so the HOD released names of error list on the noticeboard asin maybe one didnt include dept,course or name in d pract.I didnt even think of checking the noticeboard of d dept for once unless the noticeboards on the workway.anyway to cut my long story short I failed to check it until after d exam and it can't be done again so I lost 20marks in a 3unit course which I later had B but reduced 0.15 from my GP.I learnt my lesson in a hard way so be warned,always check the noticeboard of the department you're offering its course thank you.

6 Likes 2 Shares

Re: My Experience As An Undergraduate: Freshers Take Note by Zackpraise(m): 7:29am On Oct 12, 2016
thanks for the advice

1 Like

Re: My Experience As An Undergraduate: Freshers Take Note by Nobody: 8:00am On Oct 12, 2016
How do you guys expect we freshers to take note any of your points when you lot can't even paragraph your post well, and at least make it appealing to the eyes? undecided

omosefeeguaibor:
Hello! Nlanders, i feel I should share one of my greatest experience while I was in school as regards academic, 4years ago I got the best news of my life when I was told I've been admitted into the university of my choice, I was so happy that I was carried away with the joy of being an undergraduate. I got advice from family and folks alike, but little did I know I was going to a world of absolute independence, where no one was going to ask you why or not you don't come for classes. Indeed to an extent I can say I'm a B+ student, and with that thought I was good to go, I really was not so carried away with life on campus, I had fun when I ought to, and also studied when I should. Fast forward to first semester exam, I did my best with the thought that at the end of my 1st semester exams my department was going to keep my results. As soon as first semester result was pasted on the board, I checked mine it was an ok grade told myself there was still room to do better. little did I know that I was suppose to get a good book, where I ought to record all these results that were pasted on the board, and I was nonchalant about it, until I got to my final year, there and then I noticed that all my results have been posted online, from year 1 to 4 in my academic account. And it was absolutely different from what I have been seeing with my eyes. I tried to rectify this error, and I was told to bring all the grades I have seen on the board, which was absolutely impossible because I did not have it on record, secondly, university is not like secondary school,where your subject teacher has that time to start looking for your results. The final grading I had online was a far cry from what I aimed for, it took lot of letters, and knocking from one lecturer's door, to another to get my accurate details, which was a herculean task. I was in school for months, when most of my colleagues were basking in the euphoria of being a graduate. But at the end of it all and with God on by side my results were rectified, my HOD had to open my details from first year and it was discovered that there was a mistake while updating my results online. in summary to all I've said, I would implore fresh students coming in, to have a book to write down details of your results. Nobody told me this, but experience taught me in the hardest of way. Thank God it wasn't worse and I'm smiling over it today.
GdexFolami:
My own candid advice is to always check the noticeboard of every department you're offering its course.It happened to me in my year1 like dz,we did practical in a course in which the dept z upstairs asin its isolated to the place where we normally collect lecture then.so the HOD released names of error list on the noticeboard asin maybe one didnt include dept,course or name in d pract.I didnt even think of checking the noticeboard of d dept for once unless the noticeboards on the workway.anyway to cut my long story short I failed to check it until after d exam and it can't be done again so I lost 20marks in a 3unit course which I later had B but reduced 0.15 from my GP.I learnt my lesson in a hard way so be warned,always check the noticeboard of the department you're offering its course thank you.

26 Likes

Re: My Experience As An Undergraduate: Freshers Take Note by Adeoba10(m): 8:09am On Oct 12, 2016
One of the reasons why my friends hate walking with me, bcus i read anything readable pasted on d notice board, including Obituary....

12 Likes

Re: My Experience As An Undergraduate: Freshers Take Note by Stanleyafam(m): 8:18am On Oct 12, 2016
Uniport

1 Like

Re: My Experience As An Undergraduate: Freshers Take Note by dew1: 8:52am On Oct 12, 2016
Thanks a lot for this...

Sounds like what can happen in UNN.
That's how my friend finished exams, and saw ''14'' as her score.

NB: 14 is her serial number in class.. cheesy cheesy

10 Likes

Re: My Experience As An Undergraduate: Freshers Take Note by ItzHoludex(m): 9:03am On Oct 12, 2016
note taken
Re: My Experience As An Undergraduate: Freshers Take Note by babyfaceafrica: 10:06am On Oct 12, 2016
Lolz
Re: My Experience As An Undergraduate: Freshers Take Note by freya8(f): 11:48am On Oct 12, 2016
Nice one OP...he who has ears let him hear

1 Like

Re: My Experience As An Undergraduate: Freshers Take Note by nmreports: 11:49am On Oct 12, 2016
Good experience.
Writing it down however serves as no evidence.

Take a picture of it... Very clear and save in a file on your laptop, phone or flash.

More importantly, to save things like this, use Dropbox or Google drive.
Cheers.

8 Likes 1 Share

Re: My Experience As An Undergraduate: Freshers Take Note by AKMoney1(m): 11:49am On Oct 12, 2016
Make i spread mat
Re: My Experience As An Undergraduate: Freshers Take Note by Nobody: 11:50am On Oct 12, 2016
undecided
Re: My Experience As An Undergraduate: Freshers Take Note by Sibrah: 11:50am On Oct 12, 2016
And these are some of the people who would attempt to run down privates unis where they keep record of even answer scripts in exam. I can bet 40-50% of such grades are extremely 'sortable'.

2 Likes

Re: My Experience As An Undergraduate: Freshers Take Note by lilmax(m): 11:50am On Oct 12, 2016
this only tells you why common sense is not common
Re: My Experience As An Undergraduate: Freshers Take Note by Kangol99(m): 11:50am On Oct 12, 2016
K

4 Likes 1 Share

Re: My Experience As An Undergraduate: Freshers Take Note by lilmax(m): 11:53am On Oct 12, 2016
alatbaba1:
your own better ... mine was similar, i thought i was going to graduate with distinction, but to my greatest surprise my CGPA was reduced from 3.72 to 3.43, not only myself but all my class members, a friend CGPA was reduced from 3.99 to 3.49, the guy wan faint, reason been that too much of students had distinctions and cant be allowed.

thought of getting a lawyer but when i remember many of my friends that passed out with pass nko, i sharply changed my mind. i thank God
this means you're not sure of what you did in school

2 Likes

Re: My Experience As An Undergraduate: Freshers Take Note by slick1(m): 11:53am On Oct 12, 2016
Jamaticulus:
This could be from one of those universities in the IPOB region.

Tribalistic gay

5 Likes

Re: My Experience As An Undergraduate: Freshers Take Note by BIDOO(m): 11:53am On Oct 12, 2016
Re: My Experience As An Undergraduate: Freshers Take Note by mizzpweety(f): 11:54am On Oct 12, 2016
Experience is the best teacher
Re: My Experience As An Undergraduate: Freshers Take Note by Nobody: 11:54am On Oct 12, 2016
cheesy cheesy cheesy
Re: My Experience As An Undergraduate: Freshers Take Note by Nobody: 11:55am On Oct 12, 2016
If i may ask which uni ?
Re: My Experience As An Undergraduate: Freshers Take Note by Kenshinmunac(m): 11:55am On Oct 12, 2016
omosefeeguaibor:
Hello! Nlanders, i feel I should share one of my greatest experience while I was in school as regards academic.

4years ago, I got the best news of my life when I was told I've been admitted into the university of my choice, I was so happy that I was carried away with the joy of being an undergraduate. I got advice from family and folks alike, but little did I know I was going to a world of absolute independence, where no one was going to ask you why or not you don't come for classes.

Indeed to an extent I can say I'm a B+ student, and with that thought I was good to go, I really was not so carried away with life on campus, I had fun when I ought to, and also studied when I should.

Fast forward to first semester exam, I did my best with the thought that at the end of my 1st semester exams my department was going to keep my results. As soon as first semester result was pasted on the board, I checked mine it was an ok grade told myself there was still room to do better. little did I know that I was suppose to get a good book, where I ought to record all these results that were pasted on the board, and I was nonchalant about it, until I got to my final year, there and then I noticed that all my results have been posted online, from year 1 to 4 in my academic account. And it was absolutely different from what I have been seeing with my eyes. I tried to rectify this error, and I was told to bring all the grades I have seen on the board, which was absolutely impossible because I did not have it on record, secondly, university is not like secondary school, where your subject teacher has that time to start looking for your results. The final grading I had online was a far cry from what I aimed for, it took lot of letters, and knocking from one lecturer's door, to another to get my accurate details, which was a herculean task. I was in school for months, when most of my colleagues were basking in the euphoria of being a graduate.

But at the end of it all and with God on by side my results were rectified, my HOD had to open my details from first year and it was discovered that there was a mistake while updating my results online.

In summary to all I've said, I would implore fresh students coming in, to have a book to write down details of your results. Nobody told me this, but experience taught me in the hardest of way. Thank God it wasn't worse and I'm smiling over it today.

Thanks a lot of. I will actually snap the pictures of my grade and then print them out then write the grades out too, keep the snapped ones somewhere safe online and written ones kept well.

Thanks for the heads up! smiley

1 Like

Re: My Experience As An Undergraduate: Freshers Take Note by diportivo: 11:56am On Oct 12, 2016
GdexFolami:
My own candid advice is to always check the noticeboard of every department you're offering its course.It happened to me in my year1 like dz,we did practical in a course in which the dept z upstairs asin its isolated to the place where we[b][/b] normally collect lecture[b][/b] then.so the HOD released names of error list on the noticeboard asin maybe one didnt include dept,course or name in d pract.I didnt even think of checking the noticeboard of d dept for once unless the noticeboards on the workway.anyway to cut my long story short I failed to check it until after d exam and it can't be done again so I lost 20marks in a 3unit course which I later had B but reduced 0.15 from my GP.I learnt my lesson in a hard way so be warned,always check the noticeboard of the department you're offering its course thank you.

Oh lord my God

University student/graduate

Even the whole epistle is disjointed undecided

5 Likes

Re: My Experience As An Undergraduate: Freshers Take Note by menix(m): 11:56am On Oct 12, 2016
OP nah Enugu State University u go
That school needs Jesus...
Ur own even better, my brother had 8 courses he wrote nd saw his results that he was absent for those exams...

2 Likes

(1) (2) (3) (Reply)

Reinstated UNIPORT VC, Professor Lale Makes Grand Entry / Why You Must Always Have A Pen As A Student / 13 Types Of Students You Will Find At Night Classes

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 50
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.