Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,155,009 members, 7,825,147 topics. Date: Sunday, 12 May 2024 at 07:56 AM

My Experience As An Undergraduate: Freshers Take Note - Education (2) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Education / My Experience As An Undergraduate: Freshers Take Note (19973 Views)

5 Important Things To Take Note When Registering For Post UTME 2018 / Hardest Course(s) You Did In School As An Undergraduate. / Which Of These Sentences Scares You Most As An Undergraduate? (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: My Experience As An Undergraduate: Freshers Take Note by brostheo(m): 11:56am On Oct 12, 2016
In simple fact,university studies is a waste of time and resources. Can't believe I wasted 4years of my life like that
Re: My Experience As An Undergraduate: Freshers Take Note by shegzan(m): 11:57am On Oct 12, 2016
ok, thanks... I'll forward this message to the freshers in my state!!
Re: My Experience As An Undergraduate: Freshers Take Note by Nobody: 11:58am On Oct 12, 2016
omosefeeguaibor:
Hello! Nlanders, i feel I should share one of my greatest experience while I was in school as regards academic.

4years ago, I got the best news of my life when I was told I've been admitted into the university of my choice, I was so happy that I was carried away with the joy of being an undergraduate. I got advice from family and folks alike, but little did I know I was going to a world of absolute independence, where no one was going to ask you why or not you don't come for classes.

Indeed to an extent I can say I'm a B+ student, and with that thought I was good to go, I really was not so carried away with life on campus, I had fun when I ought to, and also studied when I should.

Fast forward to first semester exam, I did my best with the thought that at the end of my 1st semester exams my department was going to keep my results. As soon as first semester result was pasted on the board, I checked mine it was an ok grade told myself there was still room to do better. little did I know that I was suppose to get a good book, where I ought to record all these results that were pasted on the board, and I was nonchalant about it, until I got to my final year, there and then I noticed that all my results have been posted online, from year 1 to 4 in my academic account. And it was absolutely different from what I have been seeing with my eyes. I tried to rectify this error, and I was told to bring all the grades I have seen on the board, which was absolutely impossible because I did not have it on record, secondly, university is not like secondary school, where your subject teacher has that time to start looking for your results. The final grading I had online was a far cry from what I aimed for, it took lot of letters, and knocking from one lecturer's door, to another to get my accurate details, which was a herculean task. I was in school for months, when most of my colleagues were basking in the euphoria of being a graduate.

But at the end of it all and with God on by side my results were rectified, my HOD had to open my details from first year and it was discovered that there was a mistake while updating my results online.

In summary to all I've said, I would implore fresh students coming in, to have a book to write down details of your results. Nobody told me this, but experience taught me in the hardest of way. Thank God it wasn't worse and I'm smiling over it today.
Girl, you made front page, Congratulations lol

1 Like

Re: My Experience As An Undergraduate: Freshers Take Note by Nobody: 12:00pm On Oct 12, 2016
Jamaticulus:
This could be from one of those universities in the IPOB region.
WHY are people like this still existing?
They should all be killed together with our politicians to make Nigeria great again undecided
Re: My Experience As An Undergraduate: Freshers Take Note by BIDOO(m): 12:00pm On Oct 12, 2016
LastMumu:
How do you guys expect we freshers to take note any of your points when you lot can't even paragraph your post well and at least make it appealing to the eyes? undecided

And you also forgot to put(comma) in your write up Where needed, and i give up on your reasoning faculty. Hypocrite of the highest order.

3 Likes

Re: My Experience As An Undergraduate: Freshers Take Note by NedalBiggie: 12:03pm On Oct 12, 2016
Noted OP.
Thanks for sharing your experience so others could learn.
Wish you didn't learn the hard way though, but hey, that's water under the bridge now.

Nedal was here!

1 Like

Re: My Experience As An Undergraduate: Freshers Take Note by LorDBolton(m): 12:07pm On Oct 12, 2016
It's safe to conclude your school is a bush school.

Most institutions now upload your results online at the beginning /middle of every new semester thus u can check it.

Also course registration is done online...printed and submitted to course advisers thus school fees payment is enforced.

I'm happy for u sha but sad 4 ur school...it shows the staff(s) r useless. And I bet nobody was querried or sanctioned for the error. Smh

4 Likes 1 Share

Re: My Experience As An Undergraduate: Freshers Take Note by sagir1994(m): 12:16pm On Oct 12, 2016
Even today I typed a letter for my sister upon this issue.. she is supposed to graduate with an second class upper, imagine they end of pasting lower for her.. I am beginning to hate UNIJOS
Re: My Experience As An Undergraduate: Freshers Take Note by seguno2: 12:24pm On Oct 12, 2016
Thanks OP for sharing your experience.
I hope that others will learn from this.

1 Like

Re: My Experience As An Undergraduate: Freshers Take Note by GdexFolami(m): 12:33pm On Oct 12, 2016
diportivo:

Oh lord my God

University student/graduate

Even the whole epistle is disjointed undecided
all i want is for other people to learn,nothing mre nothing less.I am texting informally so I can use any word i like.
Re: My Experience As An Undergraduate: Freshers Take Note by Alexk2(m): 1:00pm On Oct 12, 2016
omosefeeguaibor:
Hello! Nlanders, i feel I should share one of my greatest experience while I was in school as regards academic.

4years ago, I got the best news of my life when I was told I've been admitted into the university of my choice, I was so happy that I was carried away with the joy of being an undergraduate. I got advice from family and folks alike, but little did I know I was going to a world of absolute independence, where no one was going to ask you why or not you don't come for classes.

Indeed to an extent I can say I'm a B+ student, and with that thought I was good to go, I really was not so carried away with life on campus, I had fun when I ought to, and also studied when I should.

Fast forward to first semester exam, I did my best with the thought that at the end of my 1st semester exams my department was going to keep my results. As soon as first semester result was pasted on the board, I checked mine it was an ok grade told myself there was still room to do better. little did I know that I was suppose to get a good book, where I ought to record all these results that were pasted on the board, and I was nonchalant about it, until I got to my final year, there and then I noticed that all my results have been posted online, from year 1 to 4 in my academic account. And it was absolutely different from what I have been seeing with my eyes. I tried to rectify this error, and I was told to bring all the grades I have seen on the board, which was absolutely impossible because I did not have it on record, secondly, university is not like secondary school, where your subject teacher has that time to start looking for your results. The final grading I had online was a far cry from what I aimed for, it took lot of letters, and knocking from one lecturer's door, to another to get my accurate details, which was a herculean task. I was in school for months, when most of my colleagues were basking in the euphoria of being a graduate.

But at the end of it all and with God on by side my results were rectified, my HOD had to open my details from first year and it was discovered that there was a mistake while updating my results online.

In summary to all I've said, I would implore fresh students coming in, to have a book to write down details of your results. Nobody told me this, but experience taught me in the hardest of way. Thank God it wasn't worse and I'm smiling over it today.

This cannot happen in some of our universities pls. ..stop painting them black and generalising.
I graduated from unilorin and never have to correct any grade while graduating niether did any of my colleagues.
Re: My Experience As An Undergraduate: Freshers Take Note by louiskay(m): 1:13pm On Oct 12, 2016
LastMumu:
How do you guys expect we freshers to take note any of your points when you lot can't even paragraph your post well and at least make it appealing to the eyes? undecided

See ∂1zz θne o.....
are u here to spot errors OR. stick to d aiding advice

1 Like

Re: My Experience As An Undergraduate: Freshers Take Note by yousooph(m): 1:13pm On Oct 12, 2016
LastMumu:
[i][font=Georgia]How do you guys expect we freshers to take note any of your points when you lot can't even paragraph your post well and at least make it appealing to the eyes? undecided
[/fontdey there dey find error. instead of you to take note

Re: My Experience As An Undergraduate: Freshers Take Note by Nobody: 1:13pm On Oct 12, 2016
diportivo:

Oh lord my God

Hmmm, note that if you can't present your points for a primary six pupil to understand, then just assume you're lacking. But being able to convince both the pupil and the aged, at least communication has taken place.
Re: My Experience As An Undergraduate: Freshers Take Note by myrrtle(m): 1:42pm On Oct 12, 2016
freshers google careersome and you will be glad you did!
Re: My Experience As An Undergraduate: Freshers Take Note by Jacko1(m): 2:28pm On Oct 12, 2016
Enough my experiences loading up now

All it takes na spark and everybody jumps in the bandwagon
Re: My Experience As An Undergraduate: Freshers Take Note by Eleniyan15: 2:33pm On Oct 12, 2016
Mtcheeew
go better school you wont,pathetic

notice board, i even heard some schools it take up to 2 to 3mnth before you see your semester result.....nawa oooooo were some sch within 2wks or result uploaded online
Re: My Experience As An Undergraduate: Freshers Take Note by Oyimzy(m): 2:38pm On Oct 12, 2016
omosefeeguaibor:

In summary to all I've said, I would implore fresh students coming in, to have a book to write down details of your results. Nobody told me this, but experience taught me in the hardest of way.

Sis thanks for this info oh.. Am in my second year, I'll surely get a book to record all my grades.

1 Like

Re: My Experience As An Undergraduate: Freshers Take Note by Oyimzy(m): 2:47pm On Oct 12, 2016
Eleniyan15:
Mtcheeew
go better school you wont,pathetic

notice board, i even heard some schools it take up to 2 to 3mnth before you see your semester result.....nawa oooooo were some sch within 2wks or result uploaded online

Oga no be everyone get money to go private Uni nah...
What is 2-3mnths? Our results here takes 5 months to be released... And it is pasted on the notice board and you have to check yours within 24hrs before bad gangs tears everything off.

1 Like

Re: My Experience As An Undergraduate: Freshers Take Note by Eleniyan15: 2:56pm On Oct 12, 2016
Oyimzy:

Oga no be everyone get money to go private Uni nah...
What is 2-3mnths? Our results here takes 5 months to be released... And it is pasted on the notice board and you have to check yours within 24hrs before bad gangs tears everything off.

lol funny you private school bibawo i attend a state university and the worst that can happen it 3weeks and even if error they gan if you don write letter..they will find your script for you and remark fa!!!!!!!

So no generalisation later now if them call the university best state uni people go dey nag..
Re: My Experience As An Undergraduate: Freshers Take Note by Oyimzy(m): 3:09pm On Oct 12, 2016
Eleniyan15:

lol funny you private school bibawo i attend a state university and the worst that can happen it 3weeks and even if error they gan if you don write letter..they will find your script for you and remark fa!!!!!!!

So no generalisation later now if them call the university best state uni people go dey nag..

Wow, oya what's the name.
Re: My Experience As An Undergraduate: Freshers Take Note by dman4mdmoon(m): 3:16pm On Oct 12, 2016
alatbaba1:
your own better ... mine was similar, i thought i was going to graduate with distinction, but to my greatest surprise my CGPA was reduced from 3.72 to 3.43, not only myself but all my class members, a friend CGPA was reduced from 3.99 to 3.49, the guy wan faint, reason been that too much of students had distinctions and cant be allowed.

thought of getting a lawyer but when i remember many of my friends that passed out with pass nko, i sharply changed my mind. i thank God

How can a school, a department or lecturers reduce your CGPA just because they do not want too many students to graduate with distinction and you let it go just like that? Except you are not sure of your CGPA calculation. The worst that can happen is for the lectures to deliberately reduce your grade. For instance, where you are meant to be graded A, you are graded B or C which will eventually affect your CGPA. But for anyone to decide that a CGPA of 3.72 should be reduced to 3.43, it sounds strange.
Re: My Experience As An Undergraduate: Freshers Take Note by dman4mdmoon(m): 3:21pm On Oct 12, 2016
"In summary to all I've said, I would implore fresh students coming in, to have a book to write down details of your results. Nobody told me this, but experience taught me in the hardest of way. Thank God it wasn't worse and I'm smiling over it today".

I was not only writing down my results, I was also doing the GPA and CGPA calculations myself.
Re: My Experience As An Undergraduate: Freshers Take Note by ceejayxy(m): 3:42pm On Oct 12, 2016
this can't happen in my school..each student has an online page where results,fees payment receipts etc r uploaded and they remain there forever... i guess..RSUST
Re: My Experience As An Undergraduate: Freshers Take Note by Kweenesther(f): 3:56pm On Oct 12, 2016
Adeoba10:
One of the reasons why my friends hate walking with me, bcus i read anything readable pasted on d notice board, including Obituary....

That one cwerzy friend....lmaooooo
Re: My Experience As An Undergraduate: Freshers Take Note by Nobody: 3:59pm On Oct 12, 2016
My course adviser for final year lost my academic file or hid it and expected me to give him money before he can assist me in calculation a new result....after 3 months of going from my HOD office to lecturers to plead with them, I found out they were all in it together. so I went directly to the dean of student and withing 48 hours my academic file appear mysteriously.
Re: My Experience As An Undergraduate: Freshers Take Note by kristian98(m): 4:21pm On Oct 12, 2016
alatbaba1:
your own better ... mine was similar, i thought i was going to graduate with distinction, but to my greatest surprise my CGPA was reduced from 3.72 to 3.43, not only myself but all my class members, a friend CGPA was reduced from 3.99 to 3.49, the guy wan faint, reason been that too much of students had distinctions and cant be allowed.

thought of getting a lawyer but when i remember many of my friends that passed out with pass nko, i sharply changed my mind. i thank God
abeg which university?
Re: My Experience As An Undergraduate: Freshers Take Note by Horlorlardaey: 5:01pm On Oct 12, 2016
op, thanks it was rectified
well I yaff learn sumtin today
Re: My Experience As An Undergraduate: Freshers Take Note by Junki04(m): 5:49pm On Oct 12, 2016
LorDBolton:
It's safe to conclude your school is a bush school.

Most institutions now upload your results online at the beginning /middle of every new semester thus u can check it.

Also course registration is done online...printed and submitted to course advisers thus school fees payment is enforced.

I'm happy for u sha but sad 4 ur school...it shows the staff(s) r useless. And I bet nobody was querried or sanctioned for the error. Smh
Akokite?
Re: My Experience As An Undergraduate: Freshers Take Note by danosky91(m): 6:10pm On Oct 12, 2016
Jamaticulus:
This could be from one of those universities in the IPOB region.
don't let me call u a fool, but u reason like one.
Re: My Experience As An Undergraduate: Freshers Take Note by danosky91(m): 6:16pm On Oct 12, 2016
mizzpweety:
Experience is the best teacher

misquoted its nt the best teacher it's a hard teacher
Re: My Experience As An Undergraduate: Freshers Take Note by danosky91(m): 6:19pm On Oct 12, 2016
diportivo:

Oh lord my God

na dat 1 ur eye go see,do u knw if he/she studied ibibio.

(1) (2) (3) (Reply)

Total 2018/2019 Scholarship - Apply Immediately / Bayero University Expels 24 Final Year Students / Official Thread For 2012/2013 UNIZIK Aspirants.

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 60
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.