Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,158,288 members, 7,836,275 topics. Date: Wednesday, 22 May 2024 at 01:45 AM

Nigerian Girl Living In Ireland Narrates Challenges Of Being Black Abroad - Travel (9) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Travel / Nigerian Girl Living In Ireland Narrates Challenges Of Being Black Abroad (71939 Views)

Being Black In Berlin/germany / Adventure In Ireland / Living In Canada/Life As A Canadian Immigrant (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) ... (6) (7) (8) (9) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Nigerian Girl Living In Ireland Narrates Challenges Of Being Black Abroad by Bollinger(m): 4:40pm On Oct 16, 2016
sukkot:
and what is it i am not that i am claiming that i am ?

your utterances alone proves everything. lol.

1 Like

Re: Nigerian Girl Living In Ireland Narrates Challenges Of Being Black Abroad by sukkot: 4:53pm On Oct 16, 2016
Bollinger:

your utterances alone proves everything. lol.
whats with all this vague speech ? make your point and make it clear.
Re: Nigerian Girl Living In Ireland Narrates Challenges Of Being Black Abroad by gentleiphy: 3:05am On Oct 18, 2016
sukkot:
[b]brother ? you are speaking to a man that has lived in america and england and i will say one thing, and you can take it how you want to take it, if i am extremely rich ? i would rather live in nigeria because i can carve out my own little heaven in nigeria. now if i am struggling or just managing ? then i may decide to live abroad. is it bad that you need to have money to be in heaven in naija ? yeah somewhat but the same can be said for america. me personally i lived in chicago and in chicago if you dont have money you will be in drug and gun infested neighborhoods but you need real good money to move to the rich suburbs like evanston and skokie etc. point being i rather be rich in nigeria than rich in america. shyttt imagine living in a place like lekki ? all the houses there are serviced meaning you get light and water 24 7 and all the apartments have tennis courts and swimming pools, and they have malls and huge supermarkets and lots of restaurants, even hard rock cafe and macdonalds and kfc, and you can order anything online from konga and jumia and they will deliver to your house and those stores have everything that is sold in america and britain. so you see ? naija will always be better than america or england but the only problem is you need some money to enjoy naija. and you dont get to deal with racism too. so naija wins all the time.[/b]

Ha this people una want make i talk again...ok..Sir Sukkot i tuale o o ..i dey salute...you really spoke well and with your vast knowledge about America and England it surprises me you talk about racism in those countries and forget about the same in Nigeria in another guise called tribalism which is more dangerous than the racism cos racism is people of different nationality with different skin colour but ours is same people..same colour..same garri and yam.Can a yoruba man be voted as a councillor in Imo state?..can an Hausa man vie for a governorship post in Lagos for being a Nigerian and not from the north?..can an igbo man enter an office where a yoruba man is the HR person and another yoruba man enter seeking for a job and the job is given to the igbo man not minding who qualified most?...do yoruba landords in lagos rent thier houses to the man from the east ?..why is our central goverment in abuja having issues of..the next president must be from the North,east south or west...do you know how many yorubas were killed in Kano after the sagamu hause yoruba riot? have you seen videos of how hausa butchered people from the other divide in Nigeria?have you witnessed any tribal/religious crisis in the north where the white man is left alone while a fellow nigeria in killed along with his family...have you not heard of quota system in nigeria where whether you sabi am or not na una turn...have you not heard of different cut off point in JAMB for different divide of the country?Victor Moses is hail and hearty today playing football in a country UK who took him in when his parents were killed in a Nigerian religious crisis..they didnt see him as black meanwhile his own people same black made him an orphan...today Victor Moses and his little kid brother will never want to settle back in Nigeria..i grew up in the North and witnessed many of the tribal/religious hatred killings where corpse littered the streets and pigs feasted in human decompose...black against black..brothers who sing national anthem together..

Again...if you say that the Nigeria you love and dream of is the one where until you are a billionaire you cant enjoy steady light except you live in lekki then i think we have a problem really.Or until you have money you cant have tennis court around you....hmmm...this are just common and basic things governments provide out of your tax payers money in other western countries which Nigeria also collects same tax without providing you same.Bro if you are happy living in lekki and feel good seeing others live in shanties in ajegunle and the poor suburbs then it means you enjoy Nigeria because you use your wealth to oppress the poor meaning in essence the good leaders to lead Nigeria out of the dungeon like Bollinger rightly observed is a long long thing if we all think living exclusively for us alone in Lekki means Nigeria is ok.

6 Likes 1 Share

Re: Nigerian Girl Living In Ireland Narrates Challenges Of Being Black Abroad by Ugosample(m): 6:50am On Oct 18, 2016
gentleiphy:

Ha this people una want make i talk again...ok..Sir Sukkot i tuale o o ..i dey salute...you really spoke well and with your vast knowledge about America and England it surprises me you talk about racism in those countries and forget about the same in Nigeria in another guise called tribalism which is more dangerous than the racism cos racism is people of different nationality with different skin colour but ours is same people..same colour..same garri and yam.Can a yoruba man be voted as a councillor in Imo state?..can an Hausa man vie for a governorship post in Lagos for being a Nigerian and not from the north?..can an igbo man enter an office where a yoruba man is the HR person and another yoruba man enter seeking for a job and the job is given to the igbo man not minding who qualified most?...do yoruba landords in lagos rent thier houses to the man from the east ?..why is our central goverment in abuja having issues of..the next president must be from the North,east south or west...do you know how many yorubas were killed in Kano after the sagamu hause yoruba riot? have you seen videos of how hausa butchered people from the other divide in Nigeria?have you witnessed any tribal/religious crisis in the north where the white man is left alone while a fellow nigeria in killed along with his family...have you not heard of quota system in nigeria where whether you sabi am or not na una turn...have you not heard of different cut off point in JAMB for different divide of the country?Victor Moses is hail and hearty today playing football in a country UK who took him in when his parents were killed in a Nigerian religious crisis..they didnt see him as black meanwhile his own people same black made him an orphan...today Victor Moses and his little kid brother will never want to settle back in Nigeria..i grew up in the North and witnessed many of the tribal/religious hatred killings where corpse littered the streets and pigs feasted in human decompose...black against black..brothers who sing national anthem together..

Again...if you say that the Nigeria you love and dream of is the one where until you are a billionaire you cant enjoy steady light except you live in lekki then i think we have a problem really.Or until you have money you cant have tennis court around you....hmmm...this are just common and basic things governments provide out of your tax payers money in other western countries which Nigeria also collects same tax without providing you same.Bro if you are happy living in lekki and feel good seeing others live in shanties in ajegunle and the poor suburbs then it means you enjoy Nigeria because you use your wealth to oppress the poor meaning in essence the good leaders to lead Nigeria out of the dungeon like Bollinger rightly observed is a long long thing if we all think living exclusively for us alone in Lekki means Nigeria is ok.

Well said.
Yoruba peeps can be MP in U.K. but will kick against same in Lagos

That is the kind of people we are in Nigeria/Africa and that is why we are the most underdeveloped.

Your last paragraph is spot on too.

3 Likes 1 Share

Re: Nigerian Girl Living In Ireland Narrates Challenges Of Being Black Abroad by Ugosample(m): 10:02am On Oct 18, 2016
gentleiphy:

What an interesting jaw -jaw by Bollinger and Hardboy...both of you have a valid argument...home is home no matter how messy it is according to Hardboy and home should be fixed to look like the other neighbours beautiful and peaceful home according by Bollinger...hmmmm..

Our dear home country is a sweet place to be in with all the vibes,show of affluence..competition on extravagant spending to impress,super oppression by the rich against the poor..bad,greedy and wicked government leaders whose only imagination is to continue to under equip the poor masses thereby subjecting them to abject poverty and hopelessness,poor infrastructure,non existing medicare delivery system,lack of jobs for the many young graduates we half baked from our non functional education system.,no power supply to even encourage the local entrepreneurs...look at the faces of Nigerians what you see everyday on the street is despair and anguish reason many now find solace and hug both original pastors and the overwhelming fake churches..all in business to further extort from even a boli and groundnut seller on the streets..

A Nigeria where it is a crime to be poor because police will be your tormentor...a society where we do wrong things and when we succeed we call it being smart...run on red light we call it smartness...drive through one way and call it over sabi...all these are signature of a rotten society..how often we hear abroad of tankers and containers falling over human beings cos of poor maintenance culture both on the road and he vehicles involved...hoe often we see a truck without break,no headlamp,broken windshield..with the truck head facing badagry and the tail board facing Epe confusing even the road users as to which direction it is actually travelling to..

How often have we called an emergency medical ambulance and you see them appear trying to save a life?..how often do we have a fire incident and fire service arrives on time to save lives including properties...oyibo even save animals from burning houses to show you how they value life not just human but animals...how often have we graduated from universities in the time frame or duration of the stipulated study period...even after the graduation how long it takes us to get our certificates...

Home is home i agree..but when you as a parent can not provide your kids with flat screen tv with dstv subscription to run kiddies cartoon...your kids will never find your home fun and interesting to be rather you will always have cause to go over to your neighbours who have such for their kids to try to drag them home and which your kids will always tell their peers how they wish their parent are like dem bola papa and mama..flog them as you wish they will always run to their neighbours to watch the cartoon.Everybody loves a clean,sane and structured society.Nigeria in years to come is not yet ready to offer what western world has left behind 70yrs back..lets not deceive ourselves...since i was a kid i have been hearing..Nigeria will get there...which there?..when others are even overtaking us..its sad but true...

Countries plan for future generation,they know your one month kid and they have plans for the kid..Nigeria no even get plan for the adults talk less of the kids who they even wish they dont exist...if i lie go and check your public primary and secondary school and then compare with what the oyibos offer for their kids..we may claim we earn well in Nigerian but in actual sense we eanr nothing when you have a small health challenge you spend all you think you have made to be flown to india..south africa...Germany..US .Canada etc to seek attention..in essence what have you achieved with the money when in western world you have regular free medical check ups to monitor your health and any issue is tackled at inception rather than wait and all this are at your beck and call...

we do 40days prayer and fasting just to get entry visa to south africa and india..i dont want to mention the likes of US,Canada and Europe cos those ones na miracle when countries like Botswana get visas at will without any wahala and with little bank money in their accounts and when we even get the visa we go for thanksgiving and celebration..to go spend your money o o and snap picture with oyibo..some spend N3 million to N5 million to just go born for western world so that their kids will have hope of a better future..not even for the parents o o that gave birth to the kid cos they know nothing for the kid back home...

Now finally...what are the likes of Okonjo Iweala still doing in US with their kids...all the while she worked in Nigeria her kids were still in US..and after her tenure the good lady bade us goodbye and flew back to where things work...she made money while in Nigeria she should have moved back to Nigeria and then start battling with kidnappers and scary heartless society...Bollinger you are very right.

By the way before they say i never travel to oyibo country before so i wont be able to say how things work there...I live and work in Canada.

I love your analogy and logic

1 Like

Re: Nigerian Girl Living In Ireland Narrates Challenges Of Being Black Abroad by Nobody: 1:32pm On Oct 19, 2016
claremont:

You may be right, but Ireland is one of the most economically deprived countries in western Europe.

What do u mean by deprived,are you talking about the 80's or deprived by who?please tell me you are joking.

Even though France,Spain etc are among the European heavyweights,I can tell you that Ireland is doing a lot better than many European countries,even though we're a very small island,our standard of living are better than many including France,Spain and many others.no need to argue a quick googling will answer all your questions.
Re: Nigerian Girl Living In Ireland Narrates Challenges Of Being Black Abroad by Babaelemu: 4:01pm On Oct 19, 2016
i reside in south africa and have a uncle in lesotho. holla me if you need lesotho passport to visit ireland as you want. it comes with ID fot just 400k naira!! it usually takes a month and fews weeks for issuance.
Re: Nigerian Girl Living In Ireland Narrates Challenges Of Being Black Abroad by Nobody: 6:06pm On Oct 19, 2016
Babaelemu:
i reside in south africa and have a uncle in lesotho. holla me if you need lesotho passport to visit ireland as you want. it comes with ID fot just 400k naira!! it usually takes a month and fews weeks for issuance.

Are sure that you know what you saying?
Advertising fraudulent biz on a social media,Bro that's not the smartest thing to do man.
Re: Nigerian Girl Living In Ireland Narrates Challenges Of Being Black Abroad by Babaelemu: 6:19pm On Oct 19, 2016
euromilion:

Are sure that you know what you saying?
Advertising fraudulent biz on a social media,Bro that's not the smartest thing to do man.
im not forcing anyone to acquire the passport. im just sharing a very useful information to my fellow people who might need it just as how pakistani, somalis, ethiopian, indian help assist one another! im a refugee in sa and getting sa document is more harder than usa visa but i have lesotho passport for moving around. lesotho is a mountain inside south africa. lesotho passport will get you to isreal, japan, south korea, ireland, malaysia, visa free. it will bear your real name and place of birth as nigeria. if they ask you how did you get it tell them through neutralization!! as long as it original and on database who cares (my contact judeokel @ yahoo.com)

1 Like

Re: Nigerian Girl Living In Ireland Narrates Challenges Of Being Black Abroad by Nobody: 1:15pm On Nov 03, 2016
ychris:
Is not always greener abroad tho.
Beht and btw, living in nigeria has been the most worstest thing fate took on my behalf.
9ja is primary hell fire
grin grin

Babaelemu:
You go around polluting other peoples countries and in no time, you'll cry Xenophobia

1 Like

Re: Nigerian Girl Living In Ireland Narrates Challenges Of Being Black Abroad by ychris: 5:16pm On Nov 03, 2016
jagugu88li:
grin grin

You go around polluting other peoples countries and in no time, you'll cry Xenophobia
ello bae? cheesy
As in ehn? undecided
I'm not understanding? undecided
Re: Nigerian Girl Living In Ireland Narrates Challenges Of Being Black Abroad by Nobody: 5:21pm On Nov 03, 2016
ychris:
ello bae? cheesy
As in ehn? undecided
I'm not understanding? undecided
was referring to that guy who claims to be doing/ having Ireland passports. Those passports are obviously fraudulently obtained and the guy is "I'm sure" not SAn. Yet he resides there and evidently busy with fraudulent activities, first to cry SAn hate foreigners etc. Nigeria should stop this misbehaving and then blaming everyone for its misfortunes. Enough now, you are causing problems for even the good Nigerians
Re: Nigerian Girl Living In Ireland Narrates Challenges Of Being Black Abroad by Ochima75(m): 2:29pm On Mar 15, 2018
YA proud to say u can't twerk.

SMH
Re: Nigerian Girl Living In Ireland Narrates Challenges Of Being Black Abroad by wildikeman(m): 9:25pm On May 16, 2019
Houstency:
Real live observations by a Nigerian in U.S.A.

If you plan on coming here, i have some tips that will save your life

Forget about the America they show you on the T.V
They're thousands of homeless people sleeping on the streets Los Angeles, New York and the big cities
There are places in the USA where people still live in the cave, doesn't wear clothes or shoes and no electricity or running water
There are places in New York that are 100 times worse than Ajegunle

USA is the country where you get killed for wearing a Nike or Jordans sneakers worth only $120

In the USA, you can't just walk into some streets or neighborhood you don't know like you do in Nigeria

Do you wanna know how dangerous USA is ?? Come to Compton or Chicago, you will live in Afghanistan for 7 years without being killed, you can't live in America for 2 days without being killed or your friend being killed

20 of my friends were killed last month for nothing, just sitting in their homes and they were gunned down

1. Don't argue with Americans, they're the most ignorant people on earth

2. Don't get in trouble with anyone, buying a gun is very easy, you walk into Walmart, give them $100 and they give you a gun

3. Americans glorify violence, if you go to jail or kill someone, to them you're a God, killing you will make them feel accomplished, so don't try to argue with anyone

4. Don't go to nightclubs

5. Don't go to the ghettos

6. Mind your goddam business

7. When stopped by the police, give them all your information, license, registration, proof of insurance, don't worry about going to jail if your your driving papers ain't up to date, you will spend only 1 hour in jail and you will be bailed with $65

8. American police are trigger happy, do whatever they tell you to do, don't argue, in fact lay on the floor immediately they ask you to

9. Americans talk too much like women, don't waste your precious time talking with them

10. The most dangerous country in the world is USA
I'm from Nigeria and have been living in the USA for 12 years but i go to Nigeria every 6 month.

Let me tell you, the very first day i came to America, i landed in New York city, i was so disappointed and wanted to go home immediately
Those fantasizing about the USA are those who haven't been to America

USA is the most dangerous country in the world
Chicago is just a city in the states of Illinois, they're the murder capital of the world, Detroit is the second, California is the third

I've seen about 200 murders in the USA but i haven't seen any murder when i was in Nigeria, how is Nigeria or Africa dangerous ??

The police will kill innocent people and at the end of the day, no charges, no jail sentence, there will still be in the police force

As for the citizens, A child doesn't know who his father is because his father is in jail and will never get out, the child will have kids before the age of 23 and before the age of 27, he commits a murder and gets a 70 years prison sentence, the cycle continues and never stops
Killing people is nothing to them

The number of murders that occur in Chicago and Los Angeles in a year is greater than the number of murders that happens in every country in this world put together

Always remember, USA belongs to the Indians, these people from the great Britain came into the USA in 1776 uninvited, killed all the Indians, raped their women, took their lands and named it "USA" and you think they give a fucck about your life ??

In all, if you guys can't cope with the hardships, come back to Mama Africa. No place like home!
very good.. I hope you are back to Nigeria or anywhere in Africa to stay and never go back there.. If not shut the fvck up undecided

1 Like

Re: Nigerian Girl Living In Ireland Narrates Challenges Of Being Black Abroad by Houstency(m): 11:06pm On May 16, 2019
wildikeman:
very good.. I hope you are back to Nigeria or anywhere in Africa to stay and never go back there.. If not shut the fvck up undecided

Senseless.
Re: Nigerian Girl Living In Ireland Narrates Challenges Of Being Black Abroad by wildikeman(m): 9:36am On May 17, 2019
hardbody:

Learn how to make it. Stop sounding like a failure. We make it here and spend it there. Ask around.
shut it and learn English. His heart is not here means his heart isn't here.
Its his choice. You are the one who sounds like a failure. If dem give u wife wey u no like, and u have a choice u go force urself to like am... ?Mtchewww
Re: Nigerian Girl Living In Ireland Narrates Challenges Of Being Black Abroad by wildikeman(m): 9:44am On May 17, 2019
bigfrancis21:

That's not the point of her article. She is not discouraging anyone from going to the UK neither is she complaining she wants to go back. She is simply telling you the reality of life abroad as a black person - one side of obodo oyibo Nigerians back home don't even realize exists. I've noticed that Nigerians back home who have never travelled out before do not understand racism or what racism feels like, so when people tell their experience they look down on it like it were trashy talk. Racism nowadays may not be aggressive or overt as before but it is subtle and exists in little ways you can perceive - such as going to a restaurant and whites are being given preferential or better treatment than you because the waiters believe the whites tip better than blacks who tip little or none at all (which seems to be true, given that whites are often wealthier than blacks) or going to a store to shop and being followed around like you came to steal simply because you're black meanwhile none of the store attendants are looking the way of whites shopping in the store, or walking/strolling across in a predominantly-white neighborhood and next thing you know someone calls the police to 'check up on that black person walking down the street who may be armed', etc. Things like this are part of the reality of life abroad.

Nigerians back home think that obodo oyibo is heaven. Obodo oyibo is not heaven. It has its good and bad sides. Yes, the place is beautiful, well-organized, working system, constant light, water, gas etc., fast internet, better phone service etc. but Nigerians don't understand that you would have to work very hard, I mean very hard like bankers back home do to afford the good things of life America or abroad offers. Nothing is free in America, life here is very independent - nothing like depending on uncle, aunt, cousin, relative or living in their house free of charge for 1 year or more like we do back home. Not to mention that the tax on your salary here is VERY high. Here in the US, you're taxed about 30% of your salary and you go home with 70% (imagine being paid N100,000 salary per month and N30,000 is deducted as taxes and your take home is N70,000. It is really that bad. In the UK, the tax rate is up to 40% for employees. In Nigeria, we do not even know what tax is or feel taxes deducted every month because it is too small). Out of 70% you take home you have to pay your monthly rent (abroad rent is usually paid monthly and not yearly like we do in Nigeria) or monthly mortgage if you bought the house on mortgage (also abroad you buy already built houses, unlike in Nigeria where you buy land and build a house from scratch according to your pockets, and most times homes range from between $150,000 to as high as $600,000 and it would take almost an entire lifetime savings to save up to buy a house so people obtain a mortgage from a bank to buy a house and pay back that mortgage monthly for over the next 20 to 30 years until all of it is paid off. Bad news, if you ever default on your mortgage payment, the bank will eject you, take the house from you, sell it and recover their money), pay your utility bills (water, light, gas, cable, internet, phone bill, etc.), pay your car insurance (if you drive a car in the US, you MUST buy and carry car insurance at all times. It is against the law to drive a car without insurance and if the police ever stops you or should you get into an accident and you don't have an insurance, you are in for trouble big time), pay your health insurance (medical treatment here in the US is very expensive and it is required that you have medical insurance to pay for 90% or more of your health bills should you ever fall sick), car loan (same as buying a house, buying a brand new or fairly used car is expensive and most times people do not have the money saved up, so they obtain car loans from a bank or car dealership to buy a car and pay the back the money monthly until it is paid off, which takes about 5 to 10 years on average), fuel your car, feed yourself etc. and at the end of the day you barely have little or anything left to save. Just when you're struggling to pay off all these your bills every month, then someone calls you from Nigeria asking you to send them 'ordinary $500' because he thinks you're swimming in a pool of money. You can't afford to house someone in your house for too long because an extra head in your house can spike up your light, water and gas bills and your expenses shoot up. With a house mortgage, you're stuck in the system of debt that they have here for the next 20 to 30 years. Americans basically live from paycheck to paycheck. I mean as each paycheck comes in it is being used to clear debts upon debts. Then you'll understand why some Nigerians living abroad cannot afford to come back because they barely have savings to afford a flight ticket home or to live up to expectations of the people back home.

Then as an immigrant or black person, you'd have to deal with issues of subtle racism. For the first time in your life, people would judge or rate you based on your skin colour and as Nigerians growing up back home this is something we never used to think. We look beyond one's skin colour into one's personal characteristics or person. Abroad, by just seeing you they assign you different characteristics simply because you are black even before they get to know you as a person. Then life abroad becomes a struggle for you to overcome the general beliefs the majority has about you etc. You try to prove you're 'different' or you're not like 'the others'. In the office, as a black person, you might find yourself constantly having to prove yourself just as capable as your white counterparts even though you may have a master's degree while your white counterparts have associate bachelors (equivalent to OND in Nigeria) or bachelors degree.

As an immigrant to a foreign country, basically life starts afresh for you. In the US, you'd have to start life all over again. When you arrive you find out that you are behind others and you'll need to catch up to compete with others. First you have to deal with getting your permanent residency or green card so you could work average-paying jobs or higher so you can survive or else you'd settle for under-the-table jobs where you will be underpaid and forced to work under the toughest of situations. Next you have to go to school here to get a US degree because our degrees are not recognized here, especially if you want to get an office (corporate) job or work for the US government. Then you have to start building your credit history which is your history of debt management that shows how responsible or irresponsible you are with managing money, etc. that enables you get approved for a house or car loan or even phone service or renting certain apartments. With little or no credit history, you would not enjoy these benefits. This takes about 3 to 5 years after getting here to achieve to be, at least, on the same level as native-born Americans, that is if you're fast enough. For some people it may take them up to 10 years.

Then you deal with the HUGE difference in culture and mentality in a foreign country. The way we see life is different from the way of life abroad. You cannot just lift up anybody's cute little baby and rock affectionately in the air, without the parent's permission, like we do back home or else the parents can report you for pedophilia. While back home life is still very much communal, in the US life is VERY independent. In Nigeria, if a neighbor doesn't see you in just a few weeks they could actually come around to look for you. Here in the US, you could even die in your house and nobody would notice or care until maybe they start to perceive the stench coming from your corpse. Everybody stays on their own, with very minimal interaction. You could live in a neighborhood for 20 years and still not know who your neighbor is or what they do. Neighbors barely interact with each other. Friends here are very fake and it is hard to find a very good friend here. Just get into the littlest of trouble and watch all of them disappear and you're on your own - nobody wants to get involved in your issues, only for them to re-appear when the going gets good again.

I am not saying this to discourage anybody to come here. Many would still not understand this after all I've written. If you want to come please feel free to come here. The point of my article is that life in obodo oyibo is not exactly as you see it in Hollywood movies. Hollywood movies do a good job of only showcasing the good sides of America and relegating the bad sides to the background. Only when you arrive will you see the reality on ground and the stark difference between movies and reality. Some of you will say, life abroad is still better than in Nigeria and I would say it all depends on what you make of it. Some people are ok with living a middle class lifestyle here, enjoying the amenities of life America gives but being heavily stuck in debt (house loan, car loan, etc.) and cannot break free from the well-packaged cycle of debt in America. Whereas some other people prefer the freedom life in Nigeria has and the possibility of doing business back home (you pay much less taxes anyway) or landing a good job with connection (if they know people). Before Nigeria's economy went into a recession, you could get a good job, pay very little taxes compared to your counterparts abroad, have much more in savings and you're financially better off than your counterpart abroad. In America, with an average-paying job, even with the heavy taxes if you're able to keep your expenses to the barest minimum you would afford to have some savings to invest back home or even here in the US. Just imagine, approximately 62% of Americans have less than $1,000 in their savings accounts and 21% don’t even have a savings account, according to a new survey of more than 5,000 adults conducted this month by Google Consumer Survey for personal finance website GOBankingRates.com. It's very hard to save here when you have all these bills and debt to pay every month. Better still, if you're entrepreneurial in spirit and launch a company or business here and are successful, then you'll enjoy America because you are no more severely financially constrained like most employees in the US.

My point is if you want to come you are always welcome to come but do not expect life here to be all cozy and bliss. The grass is not always green on the other side.
H
who is the fool that doesn't know all these? You sef instead of complaining why not go home back to Nigeria. And please we pay HIGH taxes in Nigeria.. Look it up.. Don't insult us.
Re: Nigerian Girl Living In Ireland Narrates Challenges Of Being Black Abroad by wildikeman(m): 10:40am On May 17, 2019
hardbody:

Amusing.....

I don't enter the UK with a visa, does that tell you anything?

I was processing Canadian immigration visa up till the point of my final interview in Ghana. Some female canadian friend punched me when she said she could not imagine a black skinned lawyer in the streets of quebec. I instantly discontinued my immigrant visa application.

The fact you are either constrained or challenged and will settle for anything does not mean we are all cast in the same mould. Chart your course and run with it.

Enough said, or need i say more?
You are economic migrant.. So ur choice
Re: Nigerian Girl Living In Ireland Narrates Challenges Of Being Black Abroad by wildikeman(m): 10:45am On May 17, 2019
Bollinger:

Anyone with sense will know that what you are saying is hog wash.
No mind am make him dey talk rubbish. My cousin... A black woman married to a Nigerian man. Is a top lawyer in Montreal.... So let him talk.... Its his choice to fool himself
Re: Nigerian Girl Living In Ireland Narrates Challenges Of Being Black Abroad by Ugosample(m): 5:28pm On May 17, 2019
wildikeman:
No mind am make him dey talk rubbish. My cousin... A black woman married to a Nigerian man. Is a top lawyer in Montreal.... So let him talk.... Its his choice to fool himself

lmao
Re: Nigerian Girl Living In Ireland Narrates Challenges Of Being Black Abroad by Ugosample(m): 11:40am On Jul 15, 2019
Not suprised. As long as races mix, there would always be racism. As urban as london is, i and my friend (half british/half nigerian) experienced racism on a london bus in dagenham by one dirty old grandma. My friend would have knocked her out if not for her age.
Fastforward to canada, some white folks rejected my medical doctor friend from being their family doctor cos he is black. Some nurses look down on him, and try to teach him his job cos they believe nothing good can come out of africa.
I also get the questions occasionaly...where are you originally from? Do you have 5 wives back home in africa?
I love seeing the shock on their face when i tell them my occupation and where i work.
Crazy people grin

you can't blame them for thinking nothing good can come out of Africa

Most African countries are in a decrepit state

no matter what you achieve as a person
you can NEVER be respected as long as your place of origin is still a dilapidated $hithole jungle

Why don't they say same about the Japanese or South Koreans or even say the Emiratis as much as they talk about black folks in that condescending manner
Re: Nigerian Girl Living In Ireland Narrates Challenges Of Being Black Abroad by Ugosample(m): 11:57am On Jul 15, 2019
Bollinger:

For you to understand why, you have to acknowledge that Nigerians are generally known as people with one of the most phucked up mentality on the planet. Which is evident by the society they have created for themselves. As a rule of thumb, i delibrately avoid Nigerians here because a lot of them still have the Nigerian mindset and do not want to change it. I cannot tell you how many times i have heard the conversation of how one Nigerian want's to amass enough dollars so that he can go back to "oppress". The reason most Nigerians go back is they know that if you want to live like a king and have slaves at your disposal, then just relocate to Nigeria. The fact that the country is not safe or amenities don't exist is disregarded as long as they can oppress. What kind of life is that? God forbid. Like i said before, you are used to a substandard way of life and it will be very difficult for you to comprehend what i am talking about.

you are right 100 %

Nigerians have among the worst mindsets on earth

And THAT is reflecting on our society....

this to me is the reason why I had to leave undecided

It's too bad

1 Like

Re: Nigerian Girl Living In Ireland Narrates Challenges Of Being Black Abroad by Ugosample(m): 12:20pm On Jul 15, 2019
sukkot:
brah, some people will rather live in an unsafe nigeria with their dignity intact than live where they are regarded as third world inferior niggers. SOME peoples dignity and self worth is not for sale. can you understand that some peoples dignity and self worth is higher than the pseudo-comfort that can be gained in living in a western country ? or you think life is all about comfort ? people with dignity and self worth get to a certain age when living abroad when they decide enough is enough, its time to return home. its those who dont have dignity who remain forever and die there. FACTS

I disagree witg your last statement
Re: Nigerian Girl Living In Ireland Narrates Challenges Of Being Black Abroad by Ugosample(m): 12:20pm On Jul 15, 2019
Bollinger:

Some people would. That is if you are s.tupid enough to go live in another country as an illegal immigrant. I am well respected in my chosen profession and i have white, black, green, blue, people i manage and supervise. No one phucks with me because i mind my own business and obey the law. This is something most Nigerians will never understand.

I get your point
Re: Nigerian Girl Living In Ireland Narrates Challenges Of Being Black Abroad by Ugosample(m): 12:27pm On Jul 15, 2019
hardbody:

You should have said this since, rather than dancing around your beliefs.

You listen to CNN a lot and nothing from Nigeria. I can understand that. Today you are brain washed to think 'like them'.

I guess the reason is simple, when your likes never thought it possible to apply and get a visa and then travel to the 'white man's world', it does appear to you as the greatest achievement ever. Then again i guess it is for you, having the reached the highest pinnacle of your hearts desire.

Listen around, read a bit, and you will understand that a few things are changing in Nigeria. Nigerians don't all vote for bread and butter, some still do not sell their conscience, but how do i expect you to understand, forming oyinbo.

To get it right, we should kill all the leaders, then travel en masse and leave Nigeria and forbid others who may wish to return to never do so

I see how brilliant you are.

in the 2019 elections

MANY NIGERIANS sorry NIGGERAREANS voted based on tribalism, greed and the crumbs they could get

How else do you explain a complete IDIOT like Buhari winning a second term despite his immense failure AND HERE IS THE CATCH

Many celebrated his win
especially in the Nigger North, and some in the "suffersticated" SW

So Bollinger's point is valid

There is a reason why the world see blacks as niggers

And it's largely becayse MOST blacks conduct themselves and their society in a nigger manner

this is 2019 and record number of Africans are living in squalid conditions

you can't get respect based on that

1 Like

Re: Nigerian Girl Living In Ireland Narrates Challenges Of Being Black Abroad by Ugosample(m): 12:32pm On Jul 15, 2019
sukkot:
[b]brother ? you are speaking to a man that has lived in america and england and i will say one thing, and you can take it how you want to take it, if i am extremely rich ? i would rather live in nigeria because i can carve out my own little heaven in nigeria. now if i am struggling or just managing ? then i may decide to live abroad. is it bad that you need to have money to be in heaven in naija ? yeah somewhat but the same can be said for america. me personally i lived in chicago and in chicago if you dont have money you will be in drug and gun infested neighborhoods but you need real good money to move to the rich suburbs like evanston and skokie etc. point being i rather be rich in nigeria than rich in america. shyttt imagine living in a place like lekki ? all the houses there are serviced meaning you get light and water 24 7 and all the apartments have tennis courts and swimming pools, and they have malls and huge supermarkets and lots of restaurants, even hard rock cafe and macdonalds and kfc, and you can order anything online from konga and jumia and they will deliver to your house and those stores have everything that is sold in america and britain. so you see ? naija will always be better than america or england but the only problem is you need some money to enjoy naija. and you dont get to deal with racism too. so naija wins all the time.[/b]

"I can carve out MY OWN LITTLE HEAVEN IN NIGERIA "

This up here is the $hithole mentality we are talking about

Not for the society o
or building a working society together

it's "My little heaven"

that is why we are having pockets of all these fancy malls and all these other fancy things in enclaves in Lagos and say Abuja while surrounded by squalid fvckery around NiggerArea

Now in 2019; three years after your comment

Most "well to do" can't even nice from point a to b in Nigeria without fear of kidnappers, herdsmen, ritual killers, agbero, beggars, etc

3 Likes

Re: Nigerian Girl Living In Ireland Narrates Challenges Of Being Black Abroad by Ugosample(m): 12:33pm On Jul 15, 2019
Bollinger:

I am shaking my head because you actually think the discussion is about personal wealth. See why i say Nigerians don't understand the trouble they are in? It mind boggling.

it's a shame
Re: Nigerian Girl Living In Ireland Narrates Challenges Of Being Black Abroad by kikuyu1(m): 1:18pm On Apr 01, 2020
MadCow1:
Being Black overseas is a real Biitch..

If you are broke, WAHALA... If you are rich, they are shocked. grin

Being the only black Family on a long street in a high brow neighborhood of Paris was quite funny. Na so Police patrol for the area increase, only one neighbor dey greet us (and they were an Indian family that worked in the same office with my Dad and had even worked together in Nigeria before).

One day, our old neighbors Cat jumped into our compound and when we caught it and tried to return it, this woman did not come out (though we could see her peeking from her window).

And the usual when we dey stroll for street, them go cross go the other side jejely.. grin

Online, for my Liverpool FC official Facebook page, there is a running joke of "AFRICAN EXPERT" whenever an African makes a post. grin They use it to mock Africans. They say things like 'Do you people have Cable TV in Africa?'

Racism is real o!! Especially in Europe and Asia. America and Canada own no bad like that again.

The only way to overcome it is to get filthy rich because na that one dey pain dem pass to see a wealthy Black Person wey dem no fit yeye.

Thanks for this! You'll find the same Oyinbos who weep for the thousands of anonymous poor asylum seekers and refugees look at you sideways when you rent a home in their same upper class area! Moreso,if you're not one of the few accepted Black vocations-footballer,boxer,actor or Dictators' Son!

1 Like

Re: Nigerian Girl Living In Ireland Narrates Challenges Of Being Black Abroad by Fescoblack(m): 7:26am On Apr 16, 2020
fikfaknuel:

Dey use style dey find green card
Baba. No dull

(1) (2) (3) ... (6) (7) (8) (9) (Reply)

Lagos Guy Flaunts his N3million Emirates First Class airline seat (photos) / Pilots Were Arguing Before Agagu's Plane Crashed - Blackbox / Floods At Lekki Phase I: The Aftermath Of The Heavy Rain On Friday (Pictures)

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 138
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.