Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,158,157 members, 7,835,866 topics. Date: Tuesday, 21 May 2024 at 04:27 PM

Nigerian Girl Living In Ireland Narrates Challenges Of Being Black Abroad - Travel (3) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Travel / Nigerian Girl Living In Ireland Narrates Challenges Of Being Black Abroad (71936 Views)

Being Black In Berlin/germany / Adventure In Ireland / Living In Canada/Life As A Canadian Immigrant (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Nigerian Girl Living In Ireland Narrates Challenges Of Being Black Abroad by Houstency(m): 4:35pm On Oct 12, 2016

26 Likes 4 Shares

Re: Nigerian Girl Living In Ireland Narrates Challenges Of Being Black Abroad by sukkot: 4:37pm On Oct 12, 2016
dondo83:

in london at moment but just on vac, moved back in 2013
dats good. are you in lagos or abuja ? how was the transition ? was it easy or hard ?

1 Like

Re: Nigerian Girl Living In Ireland Narrates Challenges Of Being Black Abroad by gemini35(m): 4:38pm On Oct 12, 2016
xavier0327:
Racism is real!!! Once in an elevator a british woman asked me where I was from, I replied that "I am a Nigerian"...she then asked if we have "wild animals " roaming about and how I manage with that...if there's a special language I use with the wild animals as she intends to visit Africa with her husband"! I was shocked! I first of all abused her VERY WELL in my dialect, then I smiled and said 'my country is a modern society and you should be literate enough to search the Internet about any country you wish to visit!
i dey laaff oo ,u mean she thought we live with wild animals?
Re: Nigerian Girl Living In Ireland Narrates Challenges Of Being Black Abroad by Nobody: 4:38pm On Oct 12, 2016
ephi123:

Lmaooooo cheesy

The girl just wants attention, Nigerians and many other people of African heritage are achieving great things even in the West, I don't understand her writeup at all.
See me see trouble o! , all my life in Nigeria nobody thought I deserved #1 scholarship , but a western government gave me huge scholarship to go to school, I can't imagine myself calling them racists.

Nigerian government that is not racist what have they done for me?

10 Likes 1 Share

Re: Nigerian Girl Living In Ireland Narrates Challenges Of Being Black Abroad by Malakh: 4:39pm On Oct 12, 2016
So-called Africans will always have problems because we are instructed to separate ourselves from the nations/strangers.
Re: Nigerian Girl Living In Ireland Narrates Challenges Of Being Black Abroad by ephi123(f): 4:42pm On Oct 12, 2016
blueseacats:
See me see trouble o! , all my life in Nigeria nobody thought I deserved #1 scholarship , but a western government gave me huge scholarship to go to school, I can't imagine myself calling them racists.

Nigerian government that is not racist what have they done for me?

Haha! I tell you.

2 Likes

Re: Nigerian Girl Living In Ireland Narrates Challenges Of Being Black Abroad by Bollinger(m): 4:43pm On Oct 12, 2016
NedalBiggie:
No place like home.

Nedal was here!

Home is where the heart and opportunity is. My heart is definitely not in Nigeria because the only opportunity there is corruption.

5 Likes 1 Share

Re: Nigerian Girl Living In Ireland Narrates Challenges Of Being Black Abroad by OlajumokeBread(f): 4:45pm On Oct 12, 2016
Hannysmilez:
you're just being an ass. She never said she was racially discriminated,only that her melanin got her attention-it happens,even here in Nigeria,locals are intrigued by the sight of an 'oyinbo'. Whatever is different than the norm catches our attention. You mentioned the USA and rap music;even a dummy should know that there are more blacks in the USA than in Ireland.
She never mentioned not being able to shop or sit comfortably,that's your imagination at work.
Racism isn't dead-not even in America;the country with the highest population of diasporic black people.

Sit your Lagos ass down

1 Like

Re: Nigerian Girl Living In Ireland Narrates Challenges Of Being Black Abroad by xavier0327(f): 4:46pm On Oct 12, 2016
gemini35:
i dey laaff oo ,u mean she thought we live with wild animals?
YES o! That was why I indirectly called her an illiterate..

1 Like

Re: Nigerian Girl Living In Ireland Narrates Challenges Of Being Black Abroad by Ghost01(m): 4:47pm On Oct 12, 2016
Reminds me of the story a friend told me of a time when he had to attend a conference in France. He didn't get a direct flight to France that day, so he opted for the only option on the table - a stopover in Italy. Seeing as all the other classes had been booked, he had to go for a first class ticket. On arriving at the airport in Italy (can't remember the exact one now, was so 'fascinated' by the story when he was telling it), he was the only one that was told to step aside seeing as he was the only black guy alighting from the first class section. He said they took him to a room and started grilling him with numerous questions, many of which he admitted he fumbled with due to the tension and the nature of the sessions. That was the end of his journey that time, he was deported back to Nigeria right from the airport. Though it may not be as extreme as it used to be, racism is alive and well in the contemporary world.

I must also admit that sometimes it's not about racism but due to the irresponsible ways some of our compatriots behave abroad - dealing drugs, prostitution, human trafficking, etc etc.

7 Likes

Re: Nigerian Girl Living In Ireland Narrates Challenges Of Being Black Abroad by bee444: 4:48pm On Oct 12, 2016
OlajumokeBread:
To tell you the truth,
Someone should buy a brand new used brain for that illiterate little girl

This is 2016 and not 1934

There are no challenges being black
Racism is also dead

How would you be racist towards a black person ??
Rap music killed racism, now everyone uses the word "Nigga"
Even white people now call themselves"nigga"

You can shop in any store even if you are black, yellow or green, you can sit in the same bus with anyone

If you come to the southern USA like Alabama or Mississippi that was home to racism, everything have changed

Reading your post, I almost puke. You are ignorant, lack moral judgement, devoid of truth and certainly never know you've been abused and discriminated against.

Racism is very much prevalent this 2016 than it was years ago. Every decision by the govt, institutions and industries are often weighed upon race and gain. Have you ever as a black person been to a shopping mall and asked by an attendant if you need any assistant? Well, it was meant to be the other way round. You see, any time you go out shopping and you see an assistant come to the aisle that you are and asked if you need any help, you're technically being discriminated against because of your Colour. Shop assistant are advised and taught to wait until they are called upon by shoppers before they approach.

Police favours white 10x more than blacks. They de-escalate situations when it involves their white counterparts. Thy aggressively and impatiently react to blacks when blacks exercise their rights just as any white person would do. But as a black person, you're forbidden to act FREE. You still viewed as slaves and baboons.

Racism in Ireland, UK and and France are very subtle, hidden, but rampant and prevalent. It's hidden in institutions like banks and work place. Researches found out that blacks find it more difficult to gain promotions in these countries because of institutionalize racism. I tell you this, if any white person commend you or compliment you for either dressing nice, talking good or having a nice car, you're being violated of your individualism. First of all, they hate your gut, and complimenting you is just a way of trying to intimidate you.

People are dying for no apparent reason in America in the hands of cops. Can you justify that? Freddie Gray, Trevon Martin and all those killed recently were products of racism and bias institutions targeting people of colour. Same thing applies to U.K. And Ireland where hidden racism is rampant and on the rise.

In the US, the media sell what people want to listen to or see. They paint black people as aggressive, gangsters, on social welfare and violent. 2016 FBI statistics concluded that 98% of crimes committed against black people are from black people(black on black crime), while 83% of same crime are white on white. Judging by population, white people commit more crime on their own than black people. Black are only 10% of the population, while white people account for 85%. But you won't see the media hammering on the white on white crimes because it doesn't sell.

All you see, read and hear in the news are some sort of new world order. A propaganda that's meant to take your eyes away from real happenings around you. I have lots to say, but will continue in due course.

21 Likes 3 Shares

Re: Nigerian Girl Living In Ireland Narrates Challenges Of Being Black Abroad by Nobody: 4:49pm On Oct 12, 2016
This girl just want to get cheap attention, I implore y'all to check my dp, Germany at a time was far more worse off in terms of racism, infact , in the whole of Europe, but now, their grls dey love Black Mamba die, their men nkor? Don dey chop amala and ewedu cheesy cheesy. .

Their girls don dey get belle for Nigerians, Ghanaians, Guinea, and even Eritrea, and most of them are asylum seekers, so what is this Tolu of a girl talking about? Middle class Gbehe!!! angry. You're the racist in this case. You're a racist your own self, odeh! Mumu girl.

2 Likes

Re: Nigerian Girl Living In Ireland Narrates Challenges Of Being Black Abroad by Hannysmilez(f): 4:51pm On Oct 12, 2016
OlajumokeBread:

Sit your Lagos ass down
On your head I suppose?
Re: Nigerian Girl Living In Ireland Narrates Challenges Of Being Black Abroad by OlajumokeBread(f): 4:52pm On Oct 12, 2016
Hannysmilez:
On your head I suppose?

On an Alaye or Omo nile laps
Re: Nigerian Girl Living In Ireland Narrates Challenges Of Being Black Abroad by FakoMaybach1: 4:54pm On Oct 12, 2016
i prefer racism to hunger..of all she is complaining hunger is not part of her issues...here there is no light, no food ,no water, bad roads, bombs are going up and down, the yoruba's will call u IPOD, Muslims will kill you at any slight provocation nowadays they even kill without any provocation, no jobs ; the 10,000 police job is more like martin luther king's "I have a dream" , we now need 500,000 retweets to get internship,so much wahala

And she is there where milk and honey flows still complaining of racism, the way e be me now if a white man offers me a job to stay in a cage and behave like a monkey from 9am to 5pm and he will pay me 20,000$ a month i will gladly take it, throw banana at me no yawa...i dont give a rats ass about dignity or heritage or all that hogwash, the kind hunger wey knack me today if e knack anybody that person fit quench

Nonsense; see person wey dey very close to heaven on earth dey complain, make we swap places na sheby she don go great wall, the only great thing i see in naija here is Hatred...i only see Great Tribal Hatred

19 Likes

Re: Nigerian Girl Living In Ireland Narrates Challenges Of Being Black Abroad by Riddler32: 4:55pm On Oct 12, 2016
GurlFriend:
In a series from the Atlantic, a Nigerian girl named Toluse Akinlabi talks about her experience living as the only black person in her community in Ireland. Some people who had the misconception that Africans live on trees were often shocked to find out she could speak English fluently.

Read her below

Toluse also kept a blog during her year living and studying in Beijing (that’s her pictured below on the Great Wall).

http://www.lailasblog.com/2016/10/people-ask-if-i-taste-like-chocolate.html

Damn, this lady is brilliant and smart. Good command of written English.
Re: Nigerian Girl Living In Ireland Narrates Challenges Of Being Black Abroad by LCASHMAN(m): 5:02pm On Oct 12, 2016
We don't care

1 Like

Re: Nigerian Girl Living In Ireland Narrates Challenges Of Being Black Abroad by dondo83(m): 5:02pm On Oct 12, 2016
sukkot:
dats good. are you in lagos or abuja ? how was the transition ? was it easy or hard ?

Abuja, every thing in nija is hard as usual lol but my advice to people relocating is to look for avenues of becoming self employed rather than coming to job hunt. look for a franchise you can bring over or learn some new skills e.g interior design, fashion, automotive etc you know we have that inferior mind set for "foreign things" with such knowledge , one will do well
Re: Nigerian Girl Living In Ireland Narrates Challenges Of Being Black Abroad by dumodust(m): 5:07pm On Oct 12, 2016
my dear... the 'racism' in nigeria is even greater. From your narrative... they are treating you real nice

1 Like 1 Share

Re: Nigerian Girl Living In Ireland Narrates Challenges Of Being Black Abroad by Adedoks(m): 5:08pm On Oct 12, 2016
Houstency:
Real live observations by a Nigerian in U.S.A.

If you plan on coming here, i have some tips that will save your life

Forget about the America they show you on the T.V
They're thousands of homeless people sleeping on the streets Los Angeles, New York and the big cities
There are places in the USA where people still live in the cave, doesn't wear clothes or shoes and no electricity or running water
There are places in New York that are 100 times worse than Ajegunle

USA is the country where you get killed for wearing a Nike or Jordans sneakers worth only $120

In the USA, you can't just walk into some streets or neighborhood you don't know like you do in Nigeria

Do you wanna know how dangerous USA is ?? Come to Compton or Chicago, you will live in Afghanistan for 7 years without being killed, you can't live in America for 2 days without being killed or your friend being killed

20 of my friends were killed last month for nothing, just sitting in their homes and they were gunned down

1. Don't argue with Americans, they're the most ignorant people on earth

2. Don't get in trouble with anyone, buying a gun is very easy, you walk into Walmart, give them $100 and they give you a gun

3. Americans glorify violence, if you go to jail or kill someone, to them you're a God, killing you will make them feel accomplished, so don't try to argue with anyone

4. Don't go to nightclubs

5. Don't go to the ghettos

6. Mind your goddam business

7. When stopped by the police, give them all your information, license, registration, proof of insurance, don't worry about going to jail if your your driving papers ain't up to date, you will spend only 1 hour in jail and you will be bailed with $65

8. American police are trigger happy, do whatever they tell you to do, don't argue, in fact lay on the floor immediately they ask you to

9. Americans talk too much like women, don't waste your precious time talking with them

10. The most dangerous country in the world is USA
I'm from Nigeria and have been living in the USA for 12 years but i go to Nigeria every 6 month.

Let me tell you, the very first day i came to America, i landed in New York city, i was so disappointed and wanted to go home immediately
Those fantasizing about the USA are those who haven't been to America

USA is the most dangerous country in the world
Chicago is just a city in the states of Illinois, they're the murder capital of the world, Detroit is the second, California is the third

I've seen about 200 murders in the USA but i haven't seen any murder when i was in Nigeria, how is Nigeria or Africa dangerous ??

The police will kill innocent people and at the end of the day, no charges, no jail sentence, there will still be in the police force

As for the citizens, A child doesn't know who his father is because his father is in jail and will never get out, the child will have kids before the age of 23 and before the age of 27, he commits a murder and gets a 70 years prison sentence, the cycle continues and never stops
Killing people is nothing to them

The number of murders that occur in Chicago and Los Angeles in a year is greater than the number of murders that happens in every country in this world put together

Always remember, USA belongs to the Indians, these people from the great Britain came into the USA in 1776 uninvited, killed all the Indians, raped their women, took their lands and named it "USA" and you think they give a fucck about your life ??

In all, if you guys can't cope with the hardships, come back to Mama Africa. No place like home!
pure truth. God bless you for this.

4 Likes

Re: Nigerian Girl Living In Ireland Narrates Challenges Of Being Black Abroad by ElsonMorali: 5:09pm On Oct 12, 2016
xavier0327:
Racism is real!!! Once in an elevator a british woman asked me where I was from, I replied that "I am a Nigerian"...she then asked if we have "wild animals " roaming about and how I manage with that...if there's a special language I use with the wild animals as she intends to visit Africa with her husband"! I was shocked! I first of all abused her VERY WELL in my dialect, then I smiled and said 'my country is a modern society and you should be literate enough to search the Internet about any country you wish to visit!

Hahahahahaha... Nice one. Pls tell me you used a little bit of Yoruba curse on her. grin

Can't forget my own experience in a hurry. I got into my apartment lift one night like that in Dubai. Na so I see this Asian woman coming o. Obviously she dey go up too.

Forming gentleman I come hold button for am make door no close. The mumu woman just stand there in front of the door with a sheepish grin on her face. She no gree enter o.

I come reason am say she dey fear make I no rape am or kill am for inside elevator. Hmmm... It is well, I told myself.

3 Likes

Re: Nigerian Girl Living In Ireland Narrates Challenges Of Being Black Abroad by sukkot: 5:09pm On Oct 12, 2016
dondo83:

Abuja, every thing in nija is hard as usual lol but my advice to people relocating is to look for avenues of becoming self employed rather than coming to job hunt. look for a franchise you can bring over or learn some new skills e.g interior design, fashion, automotive etc you know we have that inferior mind set for "foreign things" with such knowledge , one will do well
powerful advice. i never understand people who leave abroad to go to nigeria to look for job. sounds crazy. people need to start investing in getting skills that they can use with their own hands to set up something as opposed to trying to get college degrees and masters abroad. it is those ones who come abroad for masters and phd that come to naija looking for jobs. i know a guy who did auto-mechanic in london and i hear he is in naija now with his own shop fixing high end cars. all he needed to start up where his tools. he didnt have to look for work. got into naija and just started immediately

3 Likes 2 Shares

Re: Nigerian Girl Living In Ireland Narrates Challenges Of Being Black Abroad by captAugustine: 5:10pm On Oct 12, 2016
ychris:
Is not always greener abroad tho.
Beht and btw, living in nigeria has been the most worstest thing fate took on my behalf.
9ja is primary hell fire.
E be like say u dey my mind
Re: Nigerian Girl Living In Ireland Narrates Challenges Of Being Black Abroad by ElsonMorali: 5:13pm On Oct 12, 2016
BrOwnSuga3:
Even here in Nigeria there is racism...

If you are the only Non-Yoruba speaking person in your house/compound, you're dead.

Some illiterate being will look you in the face and tell you they ain't giving you the free apartment because you're not Yoruba.

Which racism pass this one?

Is that why your people keep going to Yorubaland in droves? So that they can be spat on? Liar.

7 Likes 2 Shares

Re: Nigerian Girl Living In Ireland Narrates Challenges Of Being Black Abroad by cococandy(f): 5:14pm On Oct 12, 2016
What's racist about a white person being surprised that you can speak English fluently? Doesn't it make news when a white person speaks any African language well?

10 Likes

Re: Nigerian Girl Living In Ireland Narrates Challenges Of Being Black Abroad by Hannysmilez(f): 5:15pm On Oct 12, 2016
OlajumokeBread:

On an Alaye or Omo nile laps
What's an Alaye or Omo nile even?
Re: Nigerian Girl Living In Ireland Narrates Challenges Of Being Black Abroad by dondo83(m): 5:16pm On Oct 12, 2016
sukkot:
powerful advice. i never understand people who leave abroad to go to nigeria to look for job. sounds crazy. people need to start investing in getting skills that they can use with their own hands to set up something as opposed to trying to get college degrees and masters abroad. it is those ones who come abroad for masters and phd that come to naija looking for jobs. i know a guy who did auto-mechanic in london and i hear he is in naija now with his own shop fixing high end cars. all he needed to start up where his tools. he didnt have to look for work. got into naija and just started immediately

I learnt the hard way too, I was all about degrees and certifications.

1 Like

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (Reply)

Lagos Guy Flaunts his N3million Emirates First Class airline seat (photos) / Pilots Were Arguing Before Agagu's Plane Crashed - Blackbox / Floods At Lekki Phase I: The Aftermath Of The Heavy Rain On Friday (Pictures)

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 65
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.