Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,154,483 members, 7,823,117 topics. Date: Friday, 10 May 2024 at 02:23 AM

My Racism Experience During A Vacation In Russia - Travel (6) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Travel / My Racism Experience During A Vacation In Russia (47729 Views)

Nigerian Girl In Russia Talks About Life In Russia, Racism And What Life Is Like / Nigerians, Lets Go On A Vacation / TBS BRT Bus Station: First Time Experience During Rush Hour (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: My Racism Experience During A Vacation In Russia by Kenyanstar: 5:57am On Oct 14, 2016
osaslord500:
Your own self na Russia, imagine ordinary Kenya guys wan do me racism last year.
With the reputation that Nigerians posses, the devil has a better chance of getting a warm reception compared to a Nigerian scamming drug pushing and rapist Nigerians.... Thats the impression and perspective most Africans have about thiefing Nigerians.

1 Like

Re: My Racism Experience During A Vacation In Russia by Thoughty2(m): 6:00am On Oct 14, 2016
HoneyBee23:
No hate zone,but I don't think this is front page worthy, what we Nigerians are doing to each other is 100 times more than racism.

Meanwhile,don't you know Russia is a strict hate zone for blacks?,you shouldn't be that surprised.

Not that am supporting bad things,am just a free thinker.
angry
Don't mind them, why won't whites hate blacks. We blacks hate ourselves even more. If it were not so we wont have the level of greed and selfishness that manifests itself in the corruption plaguing our country. We prefer to watch our brother starve to death in penury while we steal the little they have left from them and feed fat.
At least the Russians were only avoiding him. That's still better, what if they decided to kill him like we do to each other here. Abeg, the whites are free to react to us however they choose until we wake up and prove to our value to the world!

4 Likes

Re: My Racism Experience During A Vacation In Russia by cooltola(m): 6:03am On Oct 14, 2016
This is why we need to fix our issues at home. If we had a strong economy and created a strong system that kept corruption in serious check. Maybe Europeans or Westerners will treat us better. Even South Africans, Ghanians and Kenyans are becoming more xenophobic toward Nigerians.

6 Likes

Re: My Racism Experience During A Vacation In Russia by MtuMsuper: 6:04am On Oct 14, 2016
osaslord500:
Your own self na Russia, imagine ordinary Kenya guys wan do me racism last year.
please share what happened
Re: My Racism Experience During A Vacation In Russia by Nobody: 6:05am On Oct 14, 2016
ERONX:
It all happened on the 10th of October I left home in Ontario and decided to go on vacation in the beautiful city of st Petersburg with a childhood friend of mine who is White. When taking our usual tour walk with our complete papers and tourist passport, I observed that most people along the street kept on staring and moving away from us especially me....

We later discovered we've missed our way because we visited most of the tour centers with our map, so we decided to ask the locals around for help. When I approached them for direction, although we had issues with language difference they would just grin and shout out loud, some would run away and avoid me from getting close when I tried asking for direction.

I finally discovered I was been avoided because of my dark skin colour, so i asked my friend to do the questioning while I stood far away but there was no way they could help even with the map due to the language difference. They offered assistance by pointing to a police stand we went there with the intention of asking for direction, the two policemen shook hands with my white friend but ignored shaking hands with me, after giving us directions on how we could get a cab that will take us to our hotel, we thanked them and we were about leaving the policemen called us back and asked what I'm carrying in my backpack. I told him I have my papers some money and my lunch. He took the bag from me checked it himself he saw my papers were complete yet he refused returning my backpack, i got very angry and asked him to return my backpack yet he refused my friend tried pleading yet he refused...

What made me angry was because he didn't ask for the contents in my friend's backpack when he saw how furious and angry I've become, he returned the backpack and started raining abusive racist word in both Russian and English. I threatened him I would file a complaint to the Russian Police, and told him I would file legal actions against him. After threatening him, he stopped the insult and in a few minutes a police car drove to our scene i believe the locals around contacted the police. A superior officer from the police vehicle apologised on his behalf, he was also asked to apologise which he did reluctantly the most embarrassing part of it was when all the drama was unfolding the locals around gathered to catch a glimpse of what was happening while others took pictures.

We finally got back to the hotel I was very angry all through, I had to reschedule for the next flight and I went back home the next day.

All through my lifetime I have never been subjected to such a degrading and embarrassing moment.

RACISM IS BAD #SAYNOTORACISM
most likely your white friend was a female,if its so i believe that contributed to you getting those looks,reactions and verbal abuse .they thought you came to russian to breed with their women,being in russia is like being in Mississippi
Re: My Racism Experience During A Vacation In Russia by Elebiju: 6:14am On Oct 14, 2016
rosieflower2:
I can only imagine.... Kpele o
stop destroying the language, it is PELE not KPELE.

5 Likes

Re: My Racism Experience During A Vacation In Russia by Nobody: 6:15am On Oct 14, 2016
cooltola:
This is why we need to fix our issues at home. If we had a strong economy and created a strong system that kept corruption in serious check. Maybe Europeans or Westerners will treat us better. Even South Africans, Ghanians and Kenyans are becoming more xenophobic toward Nigerians.
absolutely,most of them believe we live in trees and still hunt with bow and arrows.look at how the world perception of Chinese has changed due to their recent economic growth,infrastructure development,leading manufacturing industries e.t.c if what outsiders seen about africa is through CNN and NAT GEO,those negative attitudes toward africans will never change

4 Likes

Re: My Racism Experience During A Vacation In Russia by shuggah(m): 6:16am On Oct 14, 2016
martineverest:
....of all places....u need 1000mg of panadal xtra

nigerians and hyprocrisy.u have forgotten how u and ur fellow nairalander insult people from other tribes and u enjoyed it...its so ironic how u view russians after doing similar things to people of ur skin colour.

#TribalismIsWorseThanRacism
God bless you brother #tribalismisworsethanracism.
Re: My Racism Experience During A Vacation In Russia by alexarelano(m): 6:23am On Oct 14, 2016
Racism is at its peak in Argentina. For instance, check their national team (AFA) no black. And South America harbours many black

1 Like

Re: My Racism Experience During A Vacation In Russia by Nobody: 6:26am On Oct 14, 2016
8 of the Worst Countries For Black People to Travel

Germany

When traveling to Germany it is important to know that the country’s constitution prohibits racial discrimination in general, but there is basically no case law that specifically deals with it, according to Hendrik Cremer, who has worked with the German Institute for Human Rights since 2007. “Those who want to take action against racist remarks are only able to refer to Section 130 of the Penal Code, which refers to sedition.” The legal hurdles, therefore, are high.

However, racial insults may not be what Black travelers (Africans, Americans, Caribbean people, etc.) visiting Germany should be most concerned with. Former government spokesman Uwe-Karsten Heye said in a 2006 radio interview that dark-skinned visitors to Germany should consider avoiding the eastern part of the country where racism runs high.

“There are small and medium-sized towns in Brandenburg, as well as elsewhere, which I would advise a visitor of another skin color to avoid going to,” said Heye. They “might not make it out alive” if they dared set foot in certain towns, he warned.

Africans and other dark-skinned people in Berlin, Wisner and other cities know certain areas in the eastern part of Berlin, such as Marzahn and Hellersdorf, are “no-go” areas where they are certain to be attacked or killed. It is also reported that German police routinely ignore these racist attacks and Germans, in general, are in denial about the depth of racism in their society.

Russia

Black visitors will also have to be extra careful when they venture outside of Moscow into the rest of Russia. In a chilling warning, the Russia expert of New Republic, Julie Ioffe, said, “There’s quite a bit of violence against people considered to be Black” in Russia, raising new fears about the safety of Olympic athletes, visitors and media attending the 2014 Winter Olympics in Sochi. Ioffe warned that nowhere in Russia is safe for a person of color to visit, outside of Moscow’s city center.

During an “Ask Me Anything” discussion on the social media site Reddit, Ioffe was asked by a Black college student whether it is safe for an African-American to study in Russia.

Here’s her answer:

“Hmmmm, that’s a tough one. I think that, for the most part, you’d be okay — if you consider people glaring at you and cracking racist jokes okay. (Russians are, er, not the most tolerant bunch.) There’s quite a bit of violence against people considered to be black, which includes, in the Russian mind, people from Central Asia and the Caucasus. My advice is go, but stick to the city center and try to go to a bigger city like Moscow. (St. Pete is crawling with skinheads.) Be extra, extra careful and make sure the American Embassy knows you’re there. They have a special unit to deal with threats to American citizens, so you should report anything that happens immediately.”
read more http://atlantablackstar.com/2014/01/08/8-worst-countries-black-people-travel/

4 Likes

Re: My Racism Experience During A Vacation In Russia by Maghan37: 6:26am On Oct 14, 2016
otokx:
Feel free to visit Port Harcourt with your white friend; nobody will abuse you racially.
They will only Kidnap U. grin
Re: My Racism Experience During A Vacation In Russia by Nobody: 6:34am On Oct 14, 2016
babyfaceafrica:
sorry bro...next time hold a recorder along when you walking and record all abuses and sue their ass

Sue in what country?even putin and the judge that'll judge your case is a racist too,two months ago I was among the delegates that went to recieve some Russians officials here for a training and conference,one of them that started laughing/smiling I went straight upto him and shook his hand,as we were going we started chatting about Ireland,he asked are you Irish?i said yes,but originally from Africa,he said am sorry if I sound racist,but in my country I've never sat down with a black person before,I asked him why was that?he said we are racists,we are communists,we are brought up not to trust anyone that's not Russians,I asked him,how bad is the rascism there,in his words,very bad they even kill black peoples and no one will lift an eye lash,it's accepted even by the government.

A government official said that to me,not too long ago.eastern Europeans are very bad people,a friend of mine is married to a Lithuanian girl here,some years ago my friend took his wife and kids to Lithuania to see his his mother in law,on getting there the old woman saw my friend,she ran and started shouting in their language that those aren't her grand kids and her daughter should take them back to where they came from.

Mehn sorry for your ordeal op,but Russia of all places why go there?its unsafe for even Russians talkless for you blacks.

8 Likes

Re: My Racism Experience During A Vacation In Russia by Nobody: 6:39am On Oct 14, 2016
themosthigh:

You are a very big liar. I have lived in St. Petersburg for 15 years and never experienced anything like this....there are few racists and incidents but nobody will stare at you in those countries since everywhere is filled with blacks and they even have more than 3 Nigerian restaurant and one of it is run by my wife. Is it by force to make it to the front page?
Even when I was living in Novosibirsk as the very few black person. I never experienced any form of racism and the occasional stares was out of curiosity not hate.
Unless maybe you are a remarkably ugly person or your attire was unbelievably ancient or weird which in that case you will get stares even in you hamlet

Thats what I can say too. Its probably that OP is huglee or too black to the extent that it's irritating
But OP, why u too dey lie like this nw... How person go start running away from u because u black. This neva happens
Re: My Racism Experience During A Vacation In Russia by beautyerhu86(f): 6:40am On Oct 14, 2016
Mekky2010:
I studied in Moscow and must frankly say that your experience is not a common one, St Pburg is a tourist city where millions of foreigners visit yearly. My guess is that you were probably forming Americana, with your shoes, shirt, etc displaying American flag and Russians have natural disdain for US more than the colour of your skin.

If u ever wish to visit Russia again, contact me, I ll get my pals to give you the amazing Russian hospitality ....

I hope you were able to visit Petergof before the bad experience...

You have said it all. I also work, live and study in moscow presently and have never been abused. As a matter of fact I work for two Russian families and a public kindergarten. That's 3 jobs and I have never complained for one day. Probably he met with kafkas people (they are not real Russians ohhhh) who are fond of creating nuisance for the real Russians.

2 Likes

Re: My Racism Experience During A Vacation In Russia by jozee8: 6:41am On Oct 14, 2016
And they would b hosting the world cup come 2018? hhmmmm, I just hope it wouldn't be the beginning of another world war!!
Re: My Racism Experience During A Vacation In Russia by Nobody: 6:44am On Oct 14, 2016
I keep wondering how 2018 World Cup is going to look like
Re: My Racism Experience During A Vacation In Russia by Nobody: 6:45am On Oct 14, 2016
I'm surprised!...i remember arguing with someone on this forum that russians/ukranians are NOT racist, so they are?...i need to watch-out!
Re: My Racism Experience During A Vacation In Russia by rosieflower2(f): 6:46am On Oct 14, 2016
Elebiju:
stop destroying the language, it is PELE not KPELE.
OK sir tnxxx
Re: My Racism Experience During A Vacation In Russia by wristbangle: 6:50am On Oct 14, 2016
yinkslinks:
There is racism in Italian embassy too and corruption. I want to use this opportunity to say 4uck italy, their prime minister, ambassador to Nigeria and the consular.

Really? This is serious.

Ireneony, can u testify to this guy's statement?
Re: My Racism Experience During A Vacation In Russia by Nobody: 6:52am On Oct 14, 2016
ERONX:
It all happened on the 10th of October I left home in Ontario and decided to go on vacation in the beautiful city of st Petersburg with a childhood friend of mine who is White. When taking our usual tour walk with our complete papers and tourist passport, I observed that most people along the street kept on staring and moving away from us especially me....

We later discovered we've missed our way because we visited most of the tour centers with our map, so we decided to ask the locals around for help. When I approached them for direction, although we had issues with language difference they would just grin and shout out loud, some would run away and avoid me from getting close when I tried asking for direction.

I finally discovered I was been avoided because of my dark skin colour, so i asked my friend to do the questioning while I stood far away but there was no way they could help even with the map due to the language difference. They offered assistance by pointing to a police stand we went there with the intention of asking for direction, the two policemen shook hands with my white friend but ignored shaking hands with me, after giving us directions on how we could get a cab that will take us to our hotel, we thanked them and we were about leaving the policemen called us back and asked what I'm carrying in my backpack. I told him I have my papers some money and my lunch. He took the bag from me checked it himself he saw my papers were complete yet he refused returning my backpack, i got very angry and asked him to return my backpack yet he refused my friend tried pleading yet he refused...

What made me angry was because he didn't ask for the contents in my friend's backpack when he saw how furious and angry I've become, he returned the backpack and started raining abusive racist word in both Russian and English. I threatened him I would file a complaint to the Russian Police, and told him I would file legal actions against him. After threatening him, he stopped the insult and in a few minutes a police car drove to our scene i believe the locals around contacted the police. A superior officer from the police vehicle apologised on his behalf, he was also asked to apologise which he did reluctantly the most embarrassing part of it was when all the drama was unfolding the locals around gathered to catch a glimpse of what was happening while others took pictures.

We finally got back to the hotel I was very angry all through, I had to reschedule for the next flight and I went back home the next day.

All through my lifetime I have never been subjected to such a degrading and embarrassing moment.

So sorry about that. Home sweet home, no place like home.
Re: My Racism Experience During A Vacation In Russia by Nobody: 6:56am On Oct 14, 2016
buh op, russia of all countries.. wetin you they find gangangan abi who does that? e even pay make you tour syria or afghanistan self
Re: My Racism Experience During A Vacation In Russia by GossipHeart(m): 6:57am On Oct 14, 2016
freeman95:

u must be a very foolish soul

its because u havent experienced racism, u came here sharing your stupod china experience just to show off

china and russia na the same? i pray racism hit u hard a make u cry, foolish african

Racism won't make me cry

Little kid
I'm not African

Little piece of shiit
Re: My Racism Experience During A Vacation In Russia by Ssalk: 6:58am On Oct 14, 2016
Well that's the problem with some eastern europe countries. I have handful experience from there but two that really struck me was, I was waiting for my flight to Switzerland from Poland after spending two days there. I notice I was the only black at the the airport yes u heard right only black person. Some military airport men came to me and start asking stupid questions which I gave then stupid answers too. I ask them, so among these multitude of people sitting u singled me out cos am black? Later their superior apologise and move on. Polish people are not really racist but just a few of them.

The second one is, I was in a tram in Russia charting with a friend when some white dude said, look are these people they are big monkeys from africa. Lol..... Not funny that day though.. Yes they were saying it in Russian so the whole place erupted into laughter I was shocked what must have happened that every body is laughing until my friend who unknowingly to them speak Russian told me why they are laughing at us. I stood up to the guys and And started reigning insults upon insults on them. I think some understand English a little I even threatened to bust his head but you trust these racist people, police were patiently waiting at the next stop. To cut the story short, I gave them tough time and sensing am an experienced traveller , the police ask the guys to tender apology which they did and we left. Other incidents I can't even explain.

3 Likes

Re: My Racism Experience During A Vacation In Russia by Nobody: 6:59am On Oct 14, 2016
everyone here is talking about their different experience living or visiting russia,it reminds me of the same experience kenyan women talk about of working in the middle east.the number of time i have read,watched and heard stories of brutal and even leading to death of kenyan maids working in middle east.i came to one conclusion,better safe than sorry

this is a kenya woman in coma dumped by her employer in a saudi hospital last year,whose plight was highlighted by kenya working in saudi on the social media

Re: My Racism Experience During A Vacation In Russia by AbuMikey(m): 7:02am On Oct 14, 2016
Mille:
Lol.

One thing I ever come to notice in my little sojourn is that you have to be bold and confident. Any act of meekness makes you an easy target.

I mostly don't move around alone here in Cluj, Romania anymore. When I first got here, people were very very curious and stare a lot. It used to make me uncomfortable but somehow, I got bold. Walk and talk with boldness. That way, you intimidate them.

I am uses to walking with my female Polish housemate and friend People used to think we are lovers because we walk around the city together most times. So they always stare at an 'interracial couple' and we do get a lot of jealous looks from the young women, spiteful looks from the old people and young men and hear lots of comments, mostly curious.

So today, we were walking instead of taking a bus to a shopping centre about 20minutes away. Halfway, these two guys came, likely Romanians or Hungarians in their mid 30s. They kept walking up to us with the idiot shouting " Hey man, what are you doing in my country? Go back to your country and leave my country " blah blah blah.

I just ignored him, continued walking slowly and MAJESTICALLY and with real swagger and boldness while chatting hilariously with my friend. When he saw I wasn't intimidated, he had to stop cos I was making him look really stupid.

One thing about Eastern Europe is that they have not been exposed to people of other cultures. I go out almost everytime and never come across black people. I have only seen 2 blacks since I've been in Cluj.

Cluj of all Places. shockedshocked

1 Like

Re: My Racism Experience During A Vacation In Russia by ArabMopol(m): 7:04am On Oct 14, 2016
I'm a racist and I ignore and avoid albinos like Plague

1 Like

Re: My Racism Experience During A Vacation In Russia by duduade: 7:06am On Oct 14, 2016
ERONX:

You too stay for your country

1 Like

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10) (Reply)

Air Peace: Allen Onyema Crying As Nigerians Return From South Africa / Woman On Attacked Kaduna-Abuja Train Returns To Same Seat (See Photo) / The Most Cosmopolitan States In Nigeria

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 77
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.