Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,152,845 members, 7,817,502 topics. Date: Saturday, 04 May 2024 at 01:21 PM

My Racism Experience During A Vacation In Russia - Travel (2) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Travel / My Racism Experience During A Vacation In Russia (47693 Views)

Nigerian Girl In Russia Talks About Life In Russia, Racism And What Life Is Like / Nigerians, Lets Go On A Vacation / TBS BRT Bus Station: First Time Experience During Rush Hour (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: My Racism Experience During A Vacation In Russia by rosieflower2(f): 10:35pm On Oct 13, 2016
I can only imagine.... Kpele o
Re: My Racism Experience During A Vacation In Russia by OJUcrook: 10:35pm On Oct 13, 2016
Racism is very rife in Eastern Europe
Re: My Racism Experience During A Vacation In Russia by HoneyBee23(f): 10:36pm On Oct 13, 2016
No hate zone,but I don't think this is front page worthy, what we Nigerians are doing to each other is 100 times more than racism.

Meanwhile,don't you know Russia is a strict hate zone for blacks?,you shouldn't be that surprised.

Not that am supporting bad things,i’m just a free thinker.
angry

10 Likes

Re: My Racism Experience During A Vacation In Russia by amanze15(m): 10:36pm On Oct 13, 2016
i am for eastern European women, they speak little English cheesy grin
Re: My Racism Experience During A Vacation In Russia by Histrings08(m): 10:37pm On Oct 13, 2016
Urukpe:

Y
... In ur mind tell me u don't av some people that u regard as 2nd or 3rd class human beings? What I'm saying is that human beings are wired like that for instance, u can't marry that babe just because she's too short or she's too dark, u can't be friend wif that guy because he doesn't meet up.. Sowie Can't explain better than this

23 Likes 1 Share

Re: My Racism Experience During A Vacation In Russia by themosthigh: 10:38pm On Oct 13, 2016
ERONX:
It all happened on the 10th of October I left home in Ontario and decided to go on vacation in the beautiful city of st Petersburg with a childhood friend of mine who is White. When taking our usual tour walk with our complete papers and tourist passport, I observed that most people along the street kept on staring and moving away from us especially me....

We later discovered we've missed our way because we visited most of the tour centers with our map, so we decided to ask the locals around for help. When I approached them for direction, although we had issues with language difference they would just grin and shout out loud, some would run away and avoid me from getting close when I tried asking for direction.

I finally discovered I was been avoided because of my dark skin colour, so i asked my friend to do the questioning while I stood far away but there was no way they could help even with the map due to the language difference. They offered assistance by pointing to a police stand we went there with the intention of asking for direction, the two policemen shook hands with my white friend but ignored shaking hands with me, after giving us directions on how we could get a cab that will take us to our hotel, we thanked them and we were about leaving the policemen called us back and asked what I'm carrying in my backpack. I told him I have my papers some money and my lunch. He took the bag from me checked it himself he saw my papers were complete yet he refused returning my backpack, i got very angry and asked him to return my backpack yet he refused my friend tried pleading yet he refused...

What made me angry was because he didn't ask for the contents in my friend's backpack when he saw how furious and angry I've become, he returned the backpack and started raining abusive racist word in both Russian and English. I threatened him I would file a complaint to the Russian Police, and told him I would file legal actions against him. After threatening him, he stopped the insult and in a few minutes a police car drove to our scene i believe the locals around contacted the police. A superior officer from the police vehicle apologised on his behalf, he was also asked to apologise which he did reluctantly the most embarrassing part of it was when all the drama was unfolding the locals around gathered to catch a glimpse of what was happening while others took pictures.

We finally got back to the hotel I was very angry all through, I had to reschedule for the next flight and I went back home the next day.

All through my lifetime I have never been subjected to such a degrading and embarrassing moment.

RACISM IS BAD #SAYNOTORACISM

You are a very big liar. I have lived in St. Petersburg for 15 years and never experienced anything like this....there are few racists and incidents but nobody will stare at you in those countries since everywhere is filled with blacks and they even have more than 3 Nigerian restaurant and one of it is run by my wife. Is it by force to make it to the front page?
Even when I was living in Novosibirsk as the very few black person. I never experienced any form of racism and the occasional stares was out of curiosity not hate.
Unless maybe you are a remarkably ugly person or your attire was unbelievably ancient or weird which in that case you will get stares even in you hamlet

33 Likes 4 Shares

Re: My Racism Experience During A Vacation In Russia by Originalsly: 10:40pm On Oct 13, 2016
Hmmmm....walk around with boldness! Bro.... find yourself in the wrong neighbourhood and being too bold can set things off. From your account...you haven't run into racists!...just people who were still trying to figure you out... and you getting all steamed up weren't helping!
Re: My Racism Experience During A Vacation In Russia by Nobody: 10:42pm On Oct 13, 2016
dotman4real007:
racism is everywhere!!! even in Nigeria we have tribalism. and what I call wealth racism.
Once in a while wise men talk. You are a wise man.

Pots calling kettles black, in the most populous black nation in the world tribalism rains supreme, and nepotism rules the land, let's cure our disease first before curing others.

10 Likes

Re: My Racism Experience During A Vacation In Russia by Nikapetrelli(f): 10:43pm On Oct 13, 2016
Racism is everywhere. But na to just bone dem dey do ur thing

1 Like 1 Share

Re: My Racism Experience During A Vacation In Russia by sukkot: 10:43pm On Oct 13, 2016
on the 10th of october ? this matter is spiritual and not racism. question ? are you igbo by any chance ?
Re: My Racism Experience During A Vacation In Russia by PaulIdu: 10:47pm On Oct 13, 2016
I am sure before you left you had dreams of bedding a Russian model grin

7 Likes 1 Share

Re: My Racism Experience During A Vacation In Russia by OlujobaSamuel: 10:47pm On Oct 13, 2016
martineverest:
....of all places....u need 1000mg of panadal xtra

nigerians and hyprocrisy.u have forgotten how u and ur fellow nairalander insult people from other tribes and u enjoyed it...its so ironic how u view russians after doing similar things to people of ur skin colour.

#TribalismIsWorseThanRacism
ori e ko ni joo fa(apologies, i no sabi d english but na yor language). so many ediots in dis nation abusing one tribe or the other, cursing everyone of another tribe, yet dey shout racism, i can only sympatize with the op if e neva abuse anyone or promote an abuse directly or indirectly on cuz of the tribe they belong to.

2 Likes

Re: My Racism Experience During A Vacation In Russia by kpolli(m): 10:48pm On Oct 13, 2016
ERONX:
It all happened on the 10th of October I left home in Ontario and decided to go on vacation in the beautiful city of st Petersburg with a childhood friend of mine who is White. When taking our usual tour walk with our complete papers and tourist passport, I observed that most people along the street kept on staring and moving away from us especially me....

We later discovered we've missed our way because we visited most of the tour centers with our map, so we decided to ask the locals around for help. When I approached them for direction, although we had issues with language difference they would just grin and shout out loud, some would run away and avoid me from getting close when I tried asking for direction.

I finally discovered I was been avoided because of my dark skin colour, so i asked my friend to do the questioning while I stood far away but there was no way they could help even with the map due to the language difference. They offered assistance by pointing to a police stand we went there with the intention of asking for direction, the two policemen shook hands with my white friend but ignored shaking hands with me, after giving us directions on how we could get a cab that will take us to our hotel, we thanked them and we were about leaving the policemen called us back and asked what I'm carrying in my backpack. I told him I have my papers some money and my lunch. He took the bag from me checked it himself he saw my papers were complete yet he refused returning my backpack, i got very angry and asked him to return my backpack yet he refused my friend tried pleading yet he refused...

What made me angry was because he didn't ask for the contents in my friend's backpack when he saw how furious and angry I've become, he returned the backpack and started raining abusive racist word in both Russian and English. I threatened him I would file a complaint to the Russian Police, and told him I would file legal actions against him. After threatening him, he stopped the insult and in a few minutes a police car drove to our scene i believe the locals around contacted the police. A superior officer from the police vehicle apologised on his behalf, he was also asked to apologise which he did reluctantly the most embarrassing part of it was when all the drama was unfolding the locals around gathered to catch a glimpse of what was happening while others took pictures.

We finally got back to the hotel I was very angry all through, I had to reschedule for the next flight and I went back home the next day.

All through my lifetime I have never been subjected to such a degrading and embarrassing moment.

RACISM IS BAD #SAYNOTORACISM

St Petersburg is a well known racist place.... Didn't you hear their soccer fans told the club to sell all non-white players

12 Likes

Re: My Racism Experience During A Vacation In Russia by Jacko1(m): 10:48pm On Oct 13, 2016
Racist Experience is trending

Make i write ma own experience

My own is my experience in osun state mtschew

1 Like 1 Share

Re: My Racism Experience During A Vacation In Russia by yinkslinks(m): 10:48pm On Oct 13, 2016
There is racism in Italian embassy too and corruption. I want to use this opportunity to say 4uck italy, their prime minister, ambassador to Nigeria and the consular.

13 Likes

Re: My Racism Experience During A Vacation In Russia by HoneyBee23(f): 10:48pm On Oct 13, 2016
themosthigh:

You are a very big liar. I have lived in St. Petersburg for 15 years and never experienced anything like this....there are few racists and incidents but nobody will stare at you in those countries since everywhere is filled with blacks and they even have more than 3 Nigerian restaurant and one of it is run by my wife. Is it by force to make it to the front page?
Even when I was living in Novosibirsk as the very few black person. I never experienced any form of racism and the occasional stares was out of curiosity not hate.

No,its a big truth oo but he only added salt,pepper and little sugar to his Russia Tourist experience grin

3 Likes

Re: My Racism Experience During A Vacation In Russia by xamster(m): 10:49pm On Oct 13, 2016
Racism is bad but Tribalism is a greater cankerworm.

3 Likes

Re: My Racism Experience During A Vacation In Russia by OdinakaPutin: 10:49pm On Oct 13, 2016
A blatant lie to gain PR stunts.
Why and what for please?

Please what year did this happen?

I am currently in Nigeria, but lived in Russia close to 8 years. Currently married to a Russian.

Yes the issue of racism is everywhere, but no point trying to add more shadow to what is black and what we know already.

Canada, US, Europe as a whole, name the place and I will tell you it's the same or even worse.

5 Likes

Re: My Racism Experience During A Vacation In Russia by bigfrancis21: 10:50pm On Oct 13, 2016
PunterTim:
It beats me atimes when peeps get affected by this!.Why would i be concerned when someone insults my skin color.There is absolutely nothing wrong with me being black and the whole world knows it,why should i be bothered.

I'm sorry but peeps that these things get to are fragile,weak emotionally and psychologically!

It is not as easy as you think because you've not experienced it before. When it happens to you again and again then it begins to get to you.

12 Likes 1 Share

Re: My Racism Experience During A Vacation In Russia by Ndolarr: 10:51pm On Oct 13, 2016
You got what you asked for! Russia my foot!! I can't be friends with those good for nothing white racists! I hate their guts! Why not visit African countries or the Americas where you are welcomed and appreciated!!

4 Likes

Re: My Racism Experience During A Vacation In Russia by airsaylongcon: 10:55pm On Oct 13, 2016
Mille:
Lol.

One thing I ever come to notice in my little sojourn is that you have to be bold and confident. Any act of meekness makes you an easy target.

I mostly don't move around alone here in Cluj, Romania anymore. When I first got here, people were very very curious and stare a lot. It used to make me uncomfortable but somehow, I got bold. Walk and talk with boldness. That way, you intimidate them.

I am uses to walking with my female Polish housemate and friend People used to think we are lovers because we walk around the city together most times. So they always stare at an 'interracial couple' and we do get a lot of jealous looks from the young women, spiteful looks from the old people and young men and hear lots of comments, mostly curious.

So today, we were walking instead of taking a bus to a shopping centre about 20minutes away. Halfway, these two guys came, likely Romanians or Hungarians in their mid 30s. They kept walking up to us with the idiot shouting " Hey man, what are you doing in my country? Go back to your country and leave my country " blah blah blah.

I just ignored him, continued walking slowly and MAJESTICALLY and with real swagger and boldness while chatting hilariously with my friend. When he saw I wasn't intimidated, he had to stop cos I was making him look really stupid.

One thing about Eastern Europe is that they have not been exposed to people of other cultures. I go out almost everytime and never come across black people. I have only seen 2 blacks since I've been in Cluj.

Surprisingly I know of a Nigerian artiste operating from Cluj. Dancehall genre. His Facebook pics paint a different pic although I'm hardly fooled by social media fronting

1 Like

Re: My Racism Experience During A Vacation In Russia by samuelchimmy(m): 10:56pm On Oct 13, 2016
This foolishness of the highest order, oh kpele
Re: My Racism Experience During A Vacation In Russia by vioment: 10:57pm On Oct 13, 2016
This is the same Russia people wish they beat the USA and NATO to dictate to the world. I don't think so. I would become a terrorist if Russia is the world power.
Is not many blacks that can make it Russia regardless of how hard you try. In America, there is racism, murder, hate, etc but they are working and trying to work on it. In Russia, putin and the rest of the nation don't care. Many Africans in the USA, can live with dignity. It is true that the human heart is very evil, but they(USA) have shown, and is continually trying to show that they can thrash their demons for the better good, of course with mistakes along the way.
Anyway sha, I as an African, specifically Nigerian, cannot complain of racism; Wen at any point in Nigeria, I can get way worse treatment than the USA, Russia, Europe, and Asia can do to me combined. In Nigeria and lots of African countries, there's no atom of living dignity for their citizens. It is always fighting, insulting, stealing, misuse of power, religion, language barriers that can lead to death or war, etc. A lot of Africans would have chosen other continents if they were in charge of planning their creation, but with the same skin.

Back to the topic, Russia is shitty toilet that needs to be flushed. Yeye de stink there.

20 Likes

Re: My Racism Experience During A Vacation In Russia by mengho(m): 10:59pm On Oct 13, 2016
well 90% of Russians are racist, I don't see what the big deal is here, why do your think black people hate going to Russia for schooling & other stuff when giving the chance.....its cause Russians are super racist, in some areas the will even try to beat you up & am not even dat dark anyways.

1 Like

Re: My Racism Experience During A Vacation In Russia by samuelchimmy(m): 11:00pm On Oct 13, 2016
sorepco:
U ve not encountered racism b4. U walking on the street n peoplecoming in the opposite direction cross the road to avoid u....u r in the train n u r the only one sitting on the sofa in a parked train while there r people standing. U get to your station and as u r alighting same peeps standing r rushing ur chair??
My friend...u ve not encountered racism!!

I pray you encounter racism in your life, China village kor ,go to eastern Europe and see real life racism

4 Likes

Re: My Racism Experience During A Vacation In Russia by Thermodynamics(m): 11:06pm On Oct 13, 2016
ok
Re: My Racism Experience During A Vacation In Russia by seniorkachion(m): 11:06pm On Oct 13, 2016
amaben2020:
what took you to Russia
The guy talked about his unpalatable encounters with Romanians in the Romanian city of Cluj. Where Russia comes into this discourse is not clear.
Re: My Racism Experience During A Vacation In Russia by Klinee: 11:06pm On Oct 13, 2016
The OP can lie! U just cook the up this story, thou I have not been to Russia but I don't believe this story. Racism occur true, but not to the extent of people running away from you just because your are black unless you are smelling. Racism occur mostly when you have encounter with people, he feels like to abuse you racially.

1 Like 2 Shares

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10) (Reply)

From Oshodi To Las Vegas - Pix / Air Peace: Allen Onyema Crying As Nigerians Return From South Africa / Woman On Attacked Kaduna-Abuja Train Returns To Same Seat (See Photo)

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 71
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.