Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,152,824 members, 7,817,407 topics. Date: Saturday, 04 May 2024 at 11:43 AM

My Racism Experience During A Vacation In Russia - Travel (3) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Travel / My Racism Experience During A Vacation In Russia (47691 Views)

Nigerian Girl In Russia Talks About Life In Russia, Racism And What Life Is Like / Nigerians, Lets Go On A Vacation / TBS BRT Bus Station: First Time Experience During Rush Hour (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: My Racism Experience During A Vacation In Russia by coolzeal(m): 11:07pm On Oct 13, 2016
You think Russia is racist, try Malaysia. I regret schooling in that country tho no one will attack you for being black but, they're sure as hell as racist.

2 Likes

Re: My Racism Experience During A Vacation In Russia by Jahbles93: 11:08pm On Oct 13, 2016
Sorry bro for your bad experience, soon I will come up with my own story of how Russians are good to black race. ..quote author=ERONX post=50173186]It all happened on the 10th of October I left home in Ontario and decided to go on vacation in the beautiful city of st Petersburg with a childhood friend of mine who is White. When taking our usual tour walk with our complete papers and tourist passport, I observed that most people along the street kept on staring and moving away from us especially me....

We later discovered we've missed our way because we visited most of the tour centers with our map, so we decided to ask the locals around for help. When I approached them for direction, although we had issues with language difference they would just grin and shout out loud, some would run away and avoid me from getting close when I tried asking for direction.

I finally discovered I was been avoided because of my dark skin colour, so i asked my friend to do the questioning while I stood far away but there was no way they could help even with the map due to the language difference. They offered assistance by pointing to a police stand we went there with the intention of asking for direction, the two policemen shook hands with my white friend but ignored shaking hands with me, after giving us directions on how we could get a cab that will take us to our hotel, we thanked them and we were about leaving the policemen called us back and asked what I'm carrying in my backpack. I told him I have my papers some money and my lunch. He took the bag from me checked it himself he saw my papers were complete yet he refused returning my backpack, i got very angry and asked him to return my backpack yet he refused my friend tried pleading yet he refused...

What made me angry was because he didn't ask for the contents in my friend's backpack when he saw how furious and angry I've become, he returned the backpack and started raining abusive racist word in both Russian and English. I threatened him I would file a complaint to the Russian Police, and told him I would file legal actions against him. After threatening him, he stopped the insult and in a few minutes a police car drove to our scene i believe the locals around contacted the police. A superior officer from the police vehicle apologised on his behalf, he was also asked to apologise which he did reluctantly the most embarrassing part of it was when all the drama was unfolding the locals around gathered to catch a glimpse of what was happening while others took pictures.

We finally got back to the hotel I was very angry all through, I had to reschedule for the next flight and I went back home the next day.

All through my lifetime I have never been subjected to such a degrading and embarrassing moment.

RACISM IS BAD #SAYNOTORACISM[/quote]

1 Like

Re: My Racism Experience During A Vacation In Russia by BuddhaPalm(m): 11:12pm On Oct 13, 2016
tdbankplc:
Solve problem of tribalism first before talking racism.

Why would racism surprise anyone, after they've seen how much we love ourselves here on NL.

6 Likes 2 Shares

Re: My Racism Experience During A Vacation In Russia by topsyking: 11:13pm On Oct 13, 2016
Mille:
Lol.

One thing I ever come to notice in my little sojourn is that you have to be bold and confident. Any act of meekness makes you an easy target.

I mostly don't move around alone here in Cluj, Romania anymore. When I first got here, people were very very curious and stare a lot. It used to make me uncomfortable but somehow, I got bold. Walk and talk with boldness. That way, you intimidate them.

I am uses to walking with my female Polish housemate and friend People used to think we are lovers because we walk around the city together most times. So they always stare at an 'interracial couple' and we do get a lot of jealous looks from the young women, spiteful looks from the old people and young men and hear lots of comments, mostly curious.

So today, we were walking instead of taking a bus to a shopping centre about 20minutes away. Halfway, these two guys came, likely Romanians or Hungarians in their mid 30s. They kept walking up to us with the idiot shouting " Hey man, what are you doing in my country? Go back to your country and leave my country " blah blah blah.

I just ignored him, continued walking slowly and MAJESTICALLY and with real swagger and boldness while chatting hilariously with my friend. When he saw I wasn't intimidated, he had to stop cos I was making him look really stupid.

One thing about Eastern Europe is that they have not been exposed to people of other cultures. I go out almost everytime and never come across black people. I have only seen 2 blacks since I've been in Cluj.
seriously what are u looking for in russia.. do some research before travlling to some countries .. you see how many blacks even nigerians been killed in russia,ukraine.

@ mille.. am surprise to hear that.. i have lived in cluj and nothing like that ever happen.. i think romania are even more friendlier than some eastern europe..hate hungary like shit, try poland .. you will hate yourself..

1 Like

Re: My Racism Experience During A Vacation In Russia by Richy4(m): 11:16pm On Oct 13, 2016
Originalsly:
Hmmmm....walk around with boldness! Bro.... find yourself in the wrong neighbourhood and being too bold can set things off. From your account...you haven't run into racists!...just people who were still trying to figure you out... and you getting all steamed up weren't helping!

searching his bag without searching that of his partner was not how to figure someone out sir..... refusing to give him back his bag and having a field day making fun of him was not the way to figure one out.... why do you think a superior police officer will ask his mate to apologize?..Do you think it was easy to ask a uniformed person to tender an apology just like that? The way i see it, his anger is justified...

8 Likes

Re: My Racism Experience During A Vacation In Russia by NAPHTHALI: 11:20pm On Oct 13, 2016
dotman4real007:
racism is everywhere!!! even in Nigeria we have tribalism. and what I call wealth racism.

Ahem..you mean Classism

3 Likes

Re: My Racism Experience During A Vacation In Russia by funshint(m): 11:21pm On Oct 13, 2016
otokx:
Feel free to visit Port Harcourt with your white friend; nobody will abuse you racially.
...but they will kidnap them racially cheesy

6 Likes

Re: My Racism Experience During A Vacation In Russia by bobbybrown007: 11:21pm On Oct 13, 2016
osaslord500:
Your own self na Russia, imagine ordinary Kenya guys wan do me racism last year.
maybe your own black is very strange, my own is that you should add more coal to your body
Re: My Racism Experience During A Vacation In Russia by DaddyGngeess(m): 11:21pm On Oct 13, 2016
The truth is that racism is everywhere, you can't lie to yourself that you have not experience it where u are or where you come from, just like there are good and bad people all over the world, I am talking from experience, I have travel to almost every part of the world, I have felt both love and hate in moscow and st peterburgs and the same in all the countries I have been to, the world lack real LOVE.(One love keeps us together).

3 Likes

Re: My Racism Experience During A Vacation In Russia by Missmossy(f): 11:23pm On Oct 13, 2016
Not a good experience, surprising my brother schools in St.Petersburg and hasn't complained of such. He has quite a handful of white friends most of whom are his course mates.

With the extent of civilization racism should be a long forgotten issue of the days of old. It is well.

4 Likes

Re: My Racism Experience During A Vacation In Russia by Carter4luv(m): 11:25pm On Oct 13, 2016
racism is bad ooo, dats why our girls want to finish blishing cream in d mrkt

7 Likes 1 Share

Re: My Racism Experience During A Vacation In Russia by AreaFada2: 11:30pm On Oct 13, 2016
themosthigh:

You are a very big liar. I have lived in St. Petersburg for 15 years and never experienced anything like this....there are few racists and incidents but nobody will stare at you in those countries since everywhere is filled with blacks and they even have more than 3 Nigerian restaurant and one of it is run by my wife. Is it by force to make it to the front page?
Even when I was living in Novosibirsk as the very few black person. I never experienced any form of racism and the occasional stares was out of curiosity not hate.
Unless maybe you are a remarkably ugly person or your attire was unbelievably ancient or weird which in that case you will get stares even in you hamlet

Well, I know of people living in Russia who say racism is serious there. Others lived there for over a decade back in the 1970s & 80s and say it was ok. We should not dismiss other people's experiences. They can vary. You still sometimes suffer obvious bigotry from very educated people even in the West where laws exist & mostly enforced.

I have always had in mind to visit Saint Petersburg one day: The Hermitage/museum & theater, Winter Palace, Peter & Paul Cathedral, etc.
Would be nice watching Tchaikovsky's Nutcracker ballet right there. kiss

I hope OP's experience was just a one-off.

12 Likes

Re: My Racism Experience During A Vacation In Russia by Nobody: 11:33pm On Oct 13, 2016
Racism is overrated, even amongst igbos, there is discrimination. We are all human beings, some people don't just like you, regardless of skin colour.

3 Likes 2 Shares

Re: My Racism Experience During A Vacation In Russia by brenister10: 11:35pm On Oct 13, 2016
themosthigh:

You are a very big liar. I have lived in St. Petersburg for 15 years and never experienced anything like this....there are few racists and incidents but nobody will stare at you in those countries since everywhere is filled with blacks and they even have more than 3 Nigerian restaurant and one of it is run by my wife. Is it by force to make it to the front page?
Even when I was living in Novosibirsk as the very few black person. I never experienced any form of racism and the occasional stares was out of curiosity not hate.
Unless maybe you are a remarkably ugly person or your attire was unbelievably ancient or weird which in that case you will get stares even in you hamlet

Must you disrespect the other person just because you want to drive home your point. Abi na only you go first go Russia? Grow up man, enough of this trash

14 Likes

Re: My Racism Experience During A Vacation In Russia by engrchykae(m): 11:37pm On Oct 13, 2016
tdbankplc:
Solve problem of tribalism first before talking racism.
in Nigeria we encounter the following isms:
omo iboism by yorubas to igbos.
ofemmanuism by igbos to yorubas.
abokism by igbos to hausas.
kafirs by hausas to the. rest of Nigerians.
although I see Europeans as the sick race of the world.

5 Likes

Re: My Racism Experience During A Vacation In Russia by amanikondo: 11:42pm On Oct 13, 2016
FastShipping:
Racism is everywhere in the west. Don't be shocked to read from me that racism in the US is high as ever. I have seen it all.

You should come back home. Racism is in Nigeria. Check Nairalands alone. You will see Afonja and Ipod yuths.

1 Like

Re: My Racism Experience During A Vacation In Russia by deliveryboy: 11:42pm On Oct 13, 2016
Mekky2010:
I studied in Moscow and must frankly say that your experience is not a common one, St Pburg is a tourist city where millions of foreigners visit yearly. My guess is that you were probably forming Americana, with your shoes, shirt, etc displaying American flag and Russians have natural disdain for US more than the colour of your skin.

If u ever wish to visit Russia again, contact me, I ll get my pals to give you the amazing Russian hospitality ....

I hope you were able to visit Petergof before the bad experience...

Guy you probably and most likely right, on the other hand, why was the his companion (the white dude) not given the American treatment and why were the locals avoiding him? Didn't they assume he was American too? Why were you going on a vacation with a fellow dude? Russians also hate ga*s

9 Likes

Re: My Racism Experience During A Vacation In Russia by brenister10: 11:45pm On Oct 13, 2016
Racism is everywhere but in Eastern Europe, it's really pronounced. Bulgaria and Co.

2 Likes

Re: My Racism Experience During A Vacation In Russia by amanikondo: 11:45pm On Oct 13, 2016
Mille:
Lol.

One thing I ever come to notice in my little sojourn is that you have to be bold and confident. Any act of meekness makes you an easy target.

I mostly don't move around alone here in Cluj, Romania anymore. When I first got here, people were very very curious and stare a lot. It used to make me uncomfortable but somehow, I got bold. Walk and talk with boldness. That way, you intimidate them.

I am uses to walking with my female Polish housemate and friend People used to think we are lovers because we walk around the city together most times. So they always stare at an 'interracial couple' and we do get a lot of jealous looks from the young women, spiteful looks from the old people and young men and hear lots of comments, mostly curious.

So today, we were walking instead of taking a bus to a shopping centre about 20minutes away. Halfway, these two guys came, likely Romanians or Hungarians in their mid 30s. They kept walking up to us with the idiot shouting " Hey man, what are you doing in my country? Go back to your country and leave my country " blah blah blah.

I just ignored him, continued walking slowly and MAJESTICALLY and with real swagger and boldness while chatting hilariously with my friend. When he saw I wasn't intimidated, he had to stop cos I was making him look really stupid.

One thing about Eastern Europe is that they have not been exposed to people of other cultures. I go out almost everytime and never come across black people. I have only seen 2 blacks since I've been in Cluj.

My friend once lived in one part of South Korea. Imagine he was in an elevator and when the elevator opened, all the people that wanted to go in ran away on seeing him.

15 Likes

Re: My Racism Experience During A Vacation In Russia by engrchykae(m): 11:46pm On Oct 13, 2016
bettercreature:
Sue who? You seems never travelled abroad.
Sorry bro discrimination is everywhere it's just worse in Asia.Next time send your white friend
Dont take public transport i mean train or bus
Dont use the same lift with white people
Don't greet them
Try to be confident and proud
Avoid walking alone esp in Asia
Always go straight to the police if you miss the road
Don't swim when they are in pool or nearby
Don't gym when they are there
Avoid going to tennis court when they are there
Find a black dominated church
The list is endless
I ADVICE AFRICANS ESPECIALLY NIGERIANS TO BE ANNOYINGLY PROUD,ARROGANT,CONFIDENT,PHYSICALLY FIT,FINANCIALLY FIT,SOCIALLY RELEVANT,CONTEST FOR POLITICAL OFFICES,ACQUIRES LOTS OF SKILL.
THIS IS THE SWEETEST REVENGE YOU CAN HAVE OVER. THE SICK WHITE RACE,ASK THE JEWS,RUN THE WHITE,NEVER LET THEM RUN YOU,THE. JEWS ARE DOING IT. SO. WE CAN DO IT BETTER..

19 Likes 1 Share

Re: My Racism Experience During A Vacation In Russia by Jethrolite(m): 11:46pm On Oct 13, 2016
ERONX:

We finally got back to the hotel I was very angry all through, I had to reschedule for the next flight and I went back home the next day.

All through my lifetime I have never been subjected to such a degrading and embarrassing moment.

RACISM IS BAD #SAYNOTORACISM
You're lucky you weren't shot and killed by the police with incriminating evidence put in your corpse. Russians and Germans are the worst types of racists - they treat other white people as inferior and do not tell me you're not aware of this. Just thank your stars you escaped with your life.

8 Likes

Re: My Racism Experience During A Vacation In Russia by obontami: 11:50pm On Oct 13, 2016
Olukokosir:
Russia... I prefer Ghana to Russia
do you know some ghanians actually say shiit about nigerian guy in GH cos of our naija accent ??

While we always welcome the black stars with open arms,

Its sad breh sad

1 Like

Re: My Racism Experience During A Vacation In Russia by john650(m): 11:51pm On Oct 13, 2016
Klinee:
The OP can lie! U just cook the up this story, thou I have not been to Russia but I don't believe this story. Racism occur true, but not to the extent of people running away from you just because your are black unless you are smelling. Racism occur mostly when you have encounter with people, he feels like to abuse you racially.
If you've never being, then don't say what you don't know. Even in the USA, where there is a large black population, there are many communities where a white person will not walk towards you on the same path of the road. Instead, they will cross the road and walk on the other side.

8 Likes

Re: My Racism Experience During A Vacation In Russia by saintandsinnerz: 11:52pm On Oct 13, 2016
martineverest:
....of all places....u need 1000mg of panadal xtra

nigerians and hyprocrisy.u have forgotten how u and ur fellow nairalander insult people from other tribes and u enjoyed it...its so ironic how u view russians after doing similar things to people of ur skin colour.

#TribalismIsWorseThanRacism
Mr man, just shut up! You're one of the worst tribal bigots here. I know your moniker wella, so shut it

2 Likes 1 Share

Re: My Racism Experience During A Vacation In Russia by obontami: 11:55pm On Oct 13, 2016
George22016:
I remember my own racism experience at Ajegunle..

Pathetic!!!
which country are you from ??
Re: My Racism Experience During A Vacation In Russia by mikron(m): 11:55pm On Oct 13, 2016
seniorkachion:

The guy talked about his unpalatable encounters with Romanians in the Romanian city of Cluj. Where Russia comes into this discourse is not clear.
take ur time to re-read the OP's post again. this time slowly

2 Likes

Re: My Racism Experience During A Vacation In Russia by Nobody: 11:55pm On Oct 13, 2016
The only time a white man will respect a black man is when the black man is successful.

8 Likes 1 Share

Re: My Racism Experience During A Vacation In Russia by biggy26: 11:55pm On Oct 13, 2016
osaslord500:
Your own self na Russia, imagine ordinary Kenya guys wan do me racism last year.

Wetin happen, which area?

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10) (Reply)

Woman Kills 3 Children After Her Car Failed Brake In Abia State. Graphic Photos / From Oshodi To Las Vegas - Pix / Air Peace: Allen Onyema Crying As Nigerians Return From South Africa

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 64
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.