Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,152,738 members, 7,817,030 topics. Date: Friday, 03 May 2024 at 11:58 PM

A Bad Day With Fulani Herdsmen(Pics) - Agriculture (4) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Agriculture / A Bad Day With Fulani Herdsmen(Pics) (38948 Views)

Ukwulu Invasion: Outcry As Fulani Herdsmen Ruin Farmlands In Anambra (Video) / Fulani Herdsmen Burn A Man's Farm In Ekiti After Being Warned (Photos) / Man Wears A Bulletproof Vest At His Farm In Edo Because Of Fulani Herdsmen (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: A Bad Day With Fulani Herdsmen(Pics) by Sijo01(f): 8:46am On Oct 15, 2016
Afrocentric:
it's people like you that are downgrading the south, I hate cowards

How does my harmless advice equate to downgrading
If you must know, senseless coward, I'm a Sourtherner. Peace!
Re: A Bad Day With Fulani Herdsmen(Pics) by 12inchDickson: 9:05am On Oct 15, 2016
daveP:
While we deliberated on taking it up with the police and all, my dad was busy reasoning on challenging them cos he understood their language and commuted with them, especiall one of them that had formal education to SSCE Level. I learnt from the farm manager that because he insisted on going to school, his father's wives, numbering 5 refused to give him his share of the inheritance which was actually quite a fortune. He didn't mind, but the foolishness of the wives was evident in that he was an interpreter and helped with
transporting their produce to the city where it will be bought, else, they'll rot away in the deep farm settlement all to themselves.

Dad got an audience while I went round the farm snapping evidence of the colossal damage the cows did to a month's maize on height. I felt like taking physical action. Well it's about to involve the police.

While they were talking, the old man that owned the cows said he wasn't aware that his sons(the man looked 86 and his eldest son was 17) encroached our farm. He apologized and popc decided to make them pay with mutual interest first. The interpreter's talk got me suspicious and I shifted closer to hear what they will offer.

The old man wanted to offer a meagre 5000 naira for the damage his cows did!!!!

My dad refuse and I interrupted to tell my dad that he better let this peeps pay well for their damage.

They supposed to pay nothing less than 60k but here was the old man, saying 5k!!?

I got angry and told my old man to use negotiating tactics and tell them he'll get to them but refusing the 5k. he stood up to leave and they now in fear, double it to 10k.

Not enough still..... but from what happened yesterday I could deduce that

1) These Fulani herds men had no value for anything not theirs

2) The fear of repercussion makes them do stuff to even the extent of being the agressor.

3) The detest formal education, Western as they call it.

4) They swear a lot

5) The owners of the cows they herd are mostly politicians based mostly in Abuja

Pics follow.

The police will enter the matter by Monday!!

Pavore9, Lalasticlala
the police will do nothing on this matter, I remembered wen Dad reported a similar case when fulani herds destroyed acres of plantain plantation, even police were scared to criticize the fooolaniss, they own dis country...

1 Like

Re: A Bad Day With Fulani Herdsmen(Pics) by delors(m): 9:43am On Oct 15, 2016
vislabraye:

So you expect someone whose labour and income has gone down the drain not to feel hurt or hateful. I don't think you have put yourself in the op shoes. If your source of income has gone down the drain won't you feel hurt ? Have you considered the many hours of labour ?
And saying the the Op is greedy because he wants 60k shows how insensitive you are. Do you even know the actual worth of the damage ? I guess you don't. If 10k is the value of the crop damaged, how do you now expect people to make a living from farming.

Op, I know it's painful. It's just the way Nigeria is, there's no justice. Tell them you don't need their money and drop the issue. Don't pick up a fight cos they have nothing to lose and their brother is in power.
So u obviously misunderstood so many lines in my comment. I didn't say asking for #60k is greed; I said it could be perceived as an act of greed by the people. There's a big difference there. Pls read more carefully next time.
The reasons I made my suggestion are simple:
- the damage has been done, friendly resolution is next.
- neither the OP's father nor the herdsmen can "relocate their geographical possession" meaning they are both stuck geographically hence, they better off as friends, not enemies
- what if the crops got destroyed by, say, weather, midnight farm thieves, stray animals, etc? Who would be held responsible? No one. Before my parents built a mall and schools, some of their lands were used as farmlands so I know these things happen. It's a farm business, profit n loss is part of the game.
- you, Vislabraye, Mr commenter and advisor: so u saying if it was ur herd of cows that did the damage and op's father asked for #60k straight, there wouldn't be any negotiation? You wouldn't haggle to pay #15k and secretly tell ur own wife that "Ah, Mr OP's father likes money o. #60k ntori olorun fa! Odikwa too greedy" lol

I repeat, no amount if money or unintended crop damage is worth any bloodshed. The people's ignorance n lack of education is the trigger that push them to fight thinking they are be taken advantage of. I lived in Maiduguri before (NYSC) so I know what I'm talking about.

OP, can you use a hunter's gun or a bow and arrow, or a matchet? If so, then throw diplomacy and caution away...ur eyes go clear when e happen finish.
Re: A Bad Day With Fulani Herdsmen(Pics) by delors(m): 9:47am On Oct 15, 2016
Sijo01:

He calls himself brave. Brave on NL. Lol. Ask him if he lives in one of those huts the fulanis live in in the pictures. Lol
Re: A Bad Day With Fulani Herdsmen(Pics) by delors(m): 9:52am On Oct 15, 2016
shuggah:

so 10k pays for the damage caused by those Fulanis?? its either you're a Fulani or u are one of their agents.
Mumu. You are brainless. Offer your 2cents and Bleep off feasting on other people's comments if u have nothing in ur cube box head.
Re: A Bad Day With Fulani Herdsmen(Pics) by delors(m): 9:58am On Oct 15, 2016
delors:
Good. My position is, tell your dad to get the 10k. Buy new seeds and replant. And tell your dad that the herdmen be more watchful so their cows don't enter your land to do more damage especially when they are grazing.
Tell him to do all these in a friendly manner. Those guys, as you hav mentioned, have no formal education, no chill and no remorse. Any misunderstood move from ur dad could be perceived as an act of aggression. I am.not sure your hectares of maize is worth any bloodshed. Those guys could kill if things go out of hand.
And where is your own calculation of #60k coming from? That could be seen as an act if greed. No one would even give you that kind of money, Fulani or not, talk less of these guys. Rethink your position and approach everything with diplomacy, tact and caution.
We don't want to see any news if herdsmen killing people on some farmland in Ado ekiti because of a meagre 'how much'. A word is enough for the wise.

And stop the hatred yourself...why do u sound so hurt and hateful? Is it because they are not your tribe? #SoulSearchingTime
For those crying as if it's their balls the cows ate, please endeavour to identify with the first few words in my comment "MY POSITION IS..." This is my position, my thoughts, my way. Not yours, if u have ur own opinion, share it with us...stop quoting, misquoting and misrepresenting me, you sound silly because u can't read well.
Re: A Bad Day With Fulani Herdsmen(Pics) by streetzdreamz(m): 10:14am On Oct 15, 2016
delors:
Good. My position is, tell your dad to get the 10k. Buy new seeds and replant. And tell your dad that the herdmen be more watchful so their cows don't enter your land to do more damage especially when they are grazing.
Tell him to do all these in a friendly manner. Those guys, as you hav mentioned, have no formal education, no chill and no remorse. Any misunderstood move from ur dad could be perceived as an act of aggression. I am.not sure your hectares of maize is worth any bloodshed. Those guys could kill if things go out of hand.
And where is your own calculation of #60k coming from? That could be seen as an act if greed. No one would even give you that kind of money, Fulani or not, talk less of these guys. Rethink your position and approach everything with diplomacy, tact and caution.
We don't want to see any news if herdsmen killing people on some farmland in Ado ekiti because of a meagre 'how much'. A word is enough for the wise.

And stop the hatred yourself...why do u sound so hurt and hateful? Is it because they are not your tribe? #SoulSearchingTime
you'v said it all,a word they say is enough for the wise, I hope the op and his family's are wise enough to settle things amicably.

1 Like

Re: A Bad Day With Fulani Herdsmen(Pics) by shuggah(m): 10:59am On Oct 15, 2016
delors:

Mumu. You are brainless. Offer your 2cents and Bleep off feasting on other people's comments if u have nothing in ur cube box head.
thanks
Re: A Bad Day With Fulani Herdsmen(Pics) by delors(m): 11:09am On Oct 15, 2016
shuggah:

thanks
Anytime
Re: A Bad Day With Fulani Herdsmen(Pics) by Blue3k(m): 11:09am On Oct 15, 2016
daveP:

1) These Fulani herds men had no value for anything not theirs

2) The fear of repercussion makes them do stuff to even the extent of being the agressor.

3) The detest formal education, Western as they call it.

4) They swear a lot

5) The owners of the cows they herd are mostly politicians based mostly in Abuja

Pics follow.

The police will enter the matter by Monday!!

Pavore9, Lalasticlala

Sorry for your loss from these illiterate vandals. I would suggest going to court and suing maybe. If they have so many cows they could sell it and make you whole again with extra compensation for pain and suffering. These guys are criminals plain and simple.

Next fence your land with barbed wire. It's low cost way to protect property and leaves no excuse for offender to catch their animals inside enclosed area.

1 Like

Re: A Bad Day With Fulani Herdsmen(Pics) by delors(m): 11:21am On Oct 15, 2016
Blue3k:

Sotry for you loss from these illiterate vandals. I would suggest going to court and suing maybe. If they have so many cows they could sell it and make you whole again wit extra compensation for pain and suffering. These guys are crimals plain and simple.

Next fence your land with barbed wire. It's low cost way to protect property and leaves no excuse for offender of you catch their animals inside enclosed area.
Goo point. It's just that suing would incur more Costs and stuff. Besides, suing then means the battle line has been drawn. Not sur it is advisable to start creating some sort of perceived hatred or volatility with their new neighbours. Remember they ar uneducated. They could easily misunderstand the whole thing...
The fence is a good idea...any low cost fence would make sense and this can be done in conjunction with the fulanis. Carry them along and mak it clear it I just because cows could be erring sometimes (in a friendly manner that would even make these people see th man as a responsible peace-loving and friendly man.
Re: A Bad Day With Fulani Herdsmen(Pics) by Nobody: 11:55am On Oct 15, 2016
Sijo01:

shocked shocked So ekpoma in edo state is in the south jeez! I thought that they are Yoruba people tongue
Re: A Bad Day With Fulani Herdsmen(Pics) by Nobody: 12:01pm On Oct 15, 2016
delors:

For those crying as if it's their balls the cows ate, please endeavour to identify with the first few words in my comment "MY POSITION IS..." This is my position, my thoughts, my way. Not yours, if u have ur own opinion, share it with us...stop quoting, misquoting and misrepresenting me, you sound silly because u can't read well.
in as much as your Advice and position sounds reasonable, what if after all that and the grazers ( i gathered they can be quite Ignorant, Arrogant and blood thirsty gunhos) returns and does some more damages with their cows to this poor man's farm again? Then what.
Re: A Bad Day With Fulani Herdsmen(Pics) by delors(m): 12:11pm On Oct 15, 2016
gypsey:
in as much as your Advice is and position sounds reasonable, what if after all that and the grazers ( i gathered they can be quite Ignorant, Arrogant and blood thirsty gunhos) returns and does some more damages with their cows to this poor man's farm again? Then what.
You "gathered", you really don't know. What if I told you that these people could be as kind as ever and their perceived "blood-thirstiness" is because they feel insecure because of their ignorance and lack of education?

I.am.not saying my point is reasonable, I am just saying the OP should consider some of these reasons to avoid the avoidables. If the father takes appropriate steps (as I assume he would being an old man with years of life experience) , present situation could be resolved, future damages/hostilities could be avoided, and everyone would be happy. It's a matter of reason my friend. wink
Re: A Bad Day With Fulani Herdsmen(Pics) by Nobody: 1:32pm On Oct 15, 2016
delors:

You "gathered", you really don't know. What if I told you that these people could be as kind as ever and their perceived "blood-thirstiness" is because they feel insecure because of their ignorance and lack of education?

I.am.not saying my point is reasonable, I am just saying the OP should consider some of these reasons to avoid the avoidables. If the father takes appropriate steps (as I assume he would being an old man with years of life experience) , present situation could be resolved, future damages/hostilities could be avoided, and everyone would be happy. It's a matter of reason my friend. wink
yes! I Agree! It's a matter of reason/reasonable as i asserted earlier, i must add you mentioned their lack of education and ignorant, does that justify their murderous behaviour? Behaviour which you agree they pocess otherwise you will not be Advicing the man to Avoid it. Does lack of education and ignorance justify killing of innocent farm owners for trying to protect their farm and their means of livelyhood?
Re: A Bad Day With Fulani Herdsmen(Pics) by ArodewilliamsT: 1:42pm On Oct 15, 2016
bbjummy:

This boss actually said the bitter TRUTH @OP. If you live on the Plateau you surely will understand what he is talking about. You trash a Fulani, overnight everyone in that family will be dead. They are heartless and useless set of people. The live of their useless cattle matters to them than that of any human being. They never FORGIVE neither do they FORGET. Even in centuries, they will wipe away any person's family that stands AGAINST them. I can write a book on this HOOLIGANS!!

But these same fulanis are the people yorubas want to live and die with under the Banner of 'one nigeria', why all these lamentation?
Re: A Bad Day With Fulani Herdsmen(Pics) by delors(m): 2:02pm On Oct 15, 2016
gypsey:
yes! I Agree! It's a matter of reason/reasonable as i asserted earlier, i must add you mentioned their lack of education and ignorant, does that justify their murderous behaviour? Behaviour which you agree they pocess otherwise you will not be Advicing the man to Avoid it. Does lack of education and ignorance justify killing of innocent farm owners for trying to protect their farm and their means of livelyhood?
No, it doesn't justify it. But it could ignite it.
Re: A Bad Day With Fulani Herdsmen(Pics) by jmoore(m): 2:38pm On Oct 15, 2016
delors:

[s] Good. My position is, tell your dad to get the 10k. Buy new seeds and replant. And tell your dad that the herdmen be more watchful so their cows don't enter your land to do more damage especially when they are grazing.

[/s]
You are the one filled with hatred that is powered by ignorance.

10,000 Naira to do what exactly? Will the 10,000 Naira bring back the crops the exact way they were before the cows ate them up?
undecided

Time is money!!!!!!!

@op. better get guns to protect yourself.
Re: A Bad Day With Fulani Herdsmen(Pics) by eherbal(m): 3:05pm On Oct 15, 2016
delors:

wisdom comes in Wise sayings.well said bro, well said.

1 Like

Re: A Bad Day With Fulani Herdsmen(Pics) by delors(m): 3:10pm On Oct 15, 2016
jmoore:

10,000 Naira to do what exactly? Will the 10,000 Naira bring back the crops the exact way they were before the cows ate them up?
undecided

Time is money!!!!!!!

And this is e best u have to offer? Fir the OP to get a gun? Have u engaged in a gun battle before? Have u lived in a Hut in d wilderness with no light, no Internet, nothing before? Do u have charms to dodge bullets? Is a 60k compensation enough to bring back the dead or even pay medical bills to heal a broken leg, a smashed skull, an arrow pierced chest?
How can u not tell the OP to go fight when he's not ur relative. Mumu. You will be among those typing RIP on FB n NL by the time to see a topic that fulanis reinforced and wiped out an entire family because if 5k seeds. #60k that I still dashed a girl I hardly talk to a few hours ago, na on top that u wan die. Poverty na bad thing o
Re: A Bad Day With Fulani Herdsmen(Pics) by delors(m): 3:13pm On Oct 15, 2016
jmoore:

undecided

Time is money!!!!!!!

And pls, share your own contribution here, don't kill urself over someone else's opinion, abi nothing dey inside ur coconut head ni?
Re: A Bad Day With Fulani Herdsmen(Pics) by jmoore(m): 3:14pm On Oct 15, 2016
delors:

And this is e best u have to offer? Fir the OP to get a gun? Have u engaged in a gun battle before? Have u lived in a Hut in d wilderness with no light, no Internet, nothing before? Do u have charms to dodge bullets? Is a 60k compensation enough to bring back the dead or even pay medical bills to heal a broken leg, a smashed skull, an arrow pierced chest?
How can u not tell the OP to go fight when he's not ur relative. Mumu. You will be among those typing RIP on FB n NL by the time to see a topic that fulanis reinforced and wiped out an entire family because if 5k seeds. #60k that I still dashed a girl I hardly talk to a few hours ago, na on top that u wan die. Poverty na bad thing o

Mr Philanthropist , why not go and give the fulanis money so they can stop destroying people's farm?

Who asked you if you get 60k? Is that the topic? undecided

The only Mumu is the one you see whenever you stare at a mirror!!!!
Re: A Bad Day With Fulani Herdsmen(Pics) by delors(m): 3:29pm On Oct 15, 2016
jmoore:

Mr Philanthropist , why not go and give the fulanis money so they can stop destroying people's farm?

Who asked you if you get 60k? Is that the topic? undecided

The only Mumu is the one you see whenever you stare at a mirror!!!!
The point I was making is it is not worth the deal...no need to break a neck over the incident...no need to escalate it...and my reference the #60 saara money is just to tell u money isn't everything...especially if it is this meagre. Don't feel bad bro...u can also help the cause by sowing a seed of bags o maize into the OP's investment.
Re: A Bad Day With Fulani Herdsmen(Pics) by Nobody: 7:15pm On Oct 15, 2016
delors:

The point I was making is it is not worth the deal...no need to break a neck over the incident...no need to escalate it...and my reference the #60 saara money is just to tell u money isn't everything...especially if it is this meagre. Don't feel bad bro...u can also help the cause by sowing a seed of bags o maize into the OP's investment.

Delors I've been reading your replies and while they are good, there is this side of human character that it did not satisfy. What if the op's kindness gesture is perceived as weakness and therefore emboldens the fulanis to do more harm in the future?
After all they'll just pay 5k of they want. Kindness can be perceived as weakness you know, and sometimes it can be perceived as fear.

The problem needs not to be solved just now, but the best measures to be taken are ones that can solve this problem and prevent future occurrences while preserving human life.
Re: A Bad Day With Fulani Herdsmen(Pics) by bbjummy: 10:37pm On Oct 15, 2016
ArodewilliamsT:

But these same fulanis are the people yorubas want to live and die with under the Banner of 'one nigeria', why all these lamentation?
Please I'm not lamenting, I only pointed out who really they are because I believe there are Nigerians who know little or nothing about them. BTW, are you sure that the yorubas want to live with the foolanis or the hausas? Mind you, the hausas are quite different from the foolanis ko. Hausas don't rear cattle the foolanis do.
Re: A Bad Day With Fulani Herdsmen(Pics) by delors(m): 11:28pm On Oct 15, 2016
ikennaf1:

Delors I've been reading your replies and while they are good, there is this side of human character that it did not satisfy. What if the op's kindness gesture is perceived as weakness and therefore emboldens the fulanis to do more harm in the future?
After all they'll just pay 5k of they want. Kindness can be perceived as weakness you know, and sometimes it can be perceived as fear.

The problem needs not to be solved just now, but the best measures to be taken are ones that can solve this problem and prevent future occurrences while preserving human life.
Agreed. It is a very dicey situation.

(1) (2) (3) (4) (Reply)

Maize Farming In Nigeria ( 2015 Season) - Challenges And Expectations. / 'My Name Is Ogochukwu Maduako, I Am A Farmer And A Recycler" / Imota Rice Mill, Lagos Capable Of Producing 2.4 Million 50kg Bags Yearly

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 96
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.