Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,152,753 members, 7,817,083 topics. Date: Saturday, 04 May 2024 at 03:57 AM

Reasons Why The Abrahamic Religions (Islam and Christianity) are bad for Nigeria - Religion (3) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Religion / Reasons Why The Abrahamic Religions (Islam and Christianity) are bad for Nigeria (8623 Views)

Prophet Who Practises Both Islam And Christianity In Kogi (Photos, Videos) / How Can Any Intelligent Person Be An Adherent Of Any Of The Abrahamic Religions? / Why Africans Should Not Follow Abrahamic Religions (christianity, Islam, Judaism (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Reasons Why The Abrahamic Religions (Islam and Christianity) are bad for Nigeria by Fadman4real(m): 10:58pm On Oct 16, 2016
You claim Abrahamic Religions is the problem of Nigeria, should we go back to practicing the old traditional religion of our fore fathers and be killing twins, sacrificing our children to some gods etc. or we should follow the new trend of the whites and become atheists start having dancing naked in the beach, changing our sex from male to female etc.

[/b]
hahn:
"Why do you keep disturbing us and our beliefs?"

That is what Christians and Muslims, Christians more though, always say whenever I challenge their "beliefs".

As an atheist, it might make perfect sense why religion is bad but also theists can also justify why they feel their religion is the best.

So, just have to this on record, I will go ahead to list exactly why I feel religion is bad for us as a nation and why it should be dumped in the trash can.

1) [b]Religious people impose their beliefs on others:
And they do that with threats undecided . "Believe in my god or you will go to hell. Believe in my god so you can become successful." What exactly gives anyone the right to go around threatening people with eternal damnation and feel it is right really baffles me. Unfortunately, we will live in a country where people do exactly that. Imagine if your parents tell you, "respect me or I will burn you up", or if as a woman a guy approaches you and says, "baby, I like you and I will like to date you. If you don't I will kill you and burn you up". undecided

This is a message of blackmail and not love. And these same people will cry "persecution" when you tell them to prove their claim undecided

Christians happily "evangelize" to people in the hospital saying "accept Jesus Christ so you do not suffer for eternity in the afterlife" but I wonder how they would feel if I, as an atheist, was to go around telling Christians about to die in hospital beds that, "remember everything your pastor told you? It is all bullshit and they have been exploiting you all your life" tongue

Would it be wrong for a parent to tell his child not to play with fire that he/she would get burnt if he tries it, the same is a christian not telling you about christ. Christians do not force you to believe them we only tell you the truth we know and pray that you change, it is not done by force and why are you so focused on the hell aspect and not the heaven that awaits you if you change your ways and follow christ. I dont see anything wrong in loving your neighbor as your self and loving God, Christ doesnt ask you to do anything that would destroy you but his laws are to make us to be a better person to the society and ourselves.

2) Religion divides us: It is not enough that, as Africans, we are divided into thousands of tribal groups and villages but we now have to add the religious divide to it. Christians have over 30,000 denominations and Muslims are also divided into Sunnis and Shiites. The recent killings of Muslims going on in the North is as a result of this division and is proof of what I mean.

As a nation, we will never be able to unite and stand as a voice or for any cause based on this reason. Whenever there is a political campaign, our politicians happily bring up religion to fool the people. The Christian/Muslim or Muslim/Christian proposal tag team is way more important to Nigerians than the credibility, integrity, the vision and potential of the candidates and merit is word that is alien to us.

Even when you want to get a job, your religious beliefs, in some cases, determines if you will get it or not. Are you Mulsim or Christian? What church do you attend? What parish do you attend? These questions are way more important than, "can you execute the job efficiently?" in some cases.
The truth is that what is breaking Nigeria up as a nation is more about the love for money, we treasure money more than intelligence, loyalty etc in this country which is the reason why we are the way we are.

3) It appeals to our meanness and our selfishness: So, you happen to be in a bus with 24 passengers and you get in an accident and everyone else dies but you survive. After treatment, you head to church to give a "testimony" on how your god protected you and everyone sings "praise the lord". No one cares about the people that have died. Some people will even brag that "my god is a living god". So, even despite the fact that god allegedly created all of us, we are happy that it seems to favor some of us over other.

Lots of theists will happily tell you that as a non-believer you will go to hell and burn in eternity. The concept of hell is quite broad as not only will "unbelievers" go to hell but other people who do not believe in your particular version of god will also go to hell. In fact, over 80% of Christians and Muslims will go to hell because the guidelines to even qualify for heaven are not only ridiculous but also quite impossible to attain. Read your holy book properly to understand this.

The idea of an all-loving entity comfortable with burning humans for eternity is not bad enough, it is savage, cruel and condescending that, as humans, we love the idea and are actually looking forward to the day we will say "told you so!" and laugh while we watch billions of people burn in hell as we sing boring hymns for eternity.

Why do you keep talking about hell like that is the only destination after death, there are two destinations which you have to choose from hell or heaven. The choice is in your hands, no matter how many papers you write against the concept of hell would not change the fact of its existence rather than sitting somewhere and begining to criticize God for creating hell why not look inward with humility and research about God if he truly exists and if hell exists your whinning would not change its existence.

4) Their claims are unverifiable and contradictory: Christians say that Jesus is the way while Muslims say Allah is the way. Aside from the fact that they cannot prove that either of these gods even exists, isn't it ridiculous that we have a Muslim president and a Christian vice president? Is no one concerned that one of them will burn in hell forever? undecided

I am derailing.

None of the characters in the bible existed outside of the bible. They are all fairytales. Jesus, Solomon, David, heaven, hell etc never existed and there are no tangible evidence for their existences.

Islam is not better. So, god appeared to Mohammed the illiterate war lord and serial pedophile and decided to place all of humanity's faith on the message delivered in Arabic. And the angel Gabriel also speaks Arabic is utter bs. None of these things are verifiable.

We are all required to "believe". Seriously, if someone told you to believe that there is a house somewhere and asks you to pay for it without seeing it and just believe you now have a house, won't you punch the person in the face for taking you for a mugu? But for our religious folks, the promise of an afterlife that has never been proven to exist is a cool ideology to believe in.

As regards contradictions, I will leave you to read your holy book for once to figure that out for yourself.
You are really funny, just like one of my friends who said Abraham and co do not exist simply because we do not have their bones. Genghis Khan that almost conquered the whole of Europe and Asia in the late 1100s bones are yet to be found despite the fact that he created a very large empire.
And you want the bones of Abraham etc to be found when they existed some thousand years before Genghis was born, perhaps you wanted to see their pictures on instantgram etc. before you would belief they existed.

5) It makes us unpatriotic: Christians happily declare themselves to be children of Israel and Muslims will claim that Mecca is the holy land. Apparently, none of these people feel that Nigeria is even worth it and still complain when the immigration in other countries disrespect us when they see our passports. How will people respect us when we do not respect ourselves?

How can we put in the effort to make Nigeria a better place when we are taught that "all is vanity" and that we will "inherit the kingdom of god or allah" after we die ?

Theists will happily tell you that Africa is cursed forgetting that the Europe and America we hold in high esteem also went through economic recession, experienced times of barbarism and extreme ignorance. The kind that we face now! No where in the history of developed nations did we read that there was a mass exodus of their citizens to go "abroad" in search of "greener pastures" (some people even give testimonies after getting visas) as we seem to have a high tendency of doing. Nigerians always come out the best in whatever field we find ourselves in abroad. We lead in academics, business, professional niches and even crime but we cannot seem to replicate the same thing here on our own soil.

Our leaders, mostly Christians or Muslims, will rather steal and loot our resources and go abroad to buy houses and stuff the funds in foreign accounts. Our "celebrities" feel they have achieved the pinnacle of success when they celebrate weddings, birthdays or even go shopping abroad. You will see them smiling like they have gotten to heaven when they get to Dubai. But these same people will come back home and throw away empty nylons out of their car windows undecided

You are far from the truth, America was once been referred to as a christian country and that did not make them unpatriotic, the root of Nigeria's problem is that we worship wealth and not God most of the so called religious people in Nigeria are worshiping money and decieving themselves that they worship God. If there was no religion in this country this evil would still happen because of our mentality, we changed the true christianity in the bible to suit our selfish desire and love for money in this country.

6) It kills our will to become better as a nation: "Blessed are the meek for they shall inherit the kingdom of god". The same kingdom that has not been proven to exist. "All is vanity upon vanity". "Blessed is the man who has not seen(verified) but believes".

These lines are hammered in churches and mosques around the nation and the butterfly effect is that we have become a country whose populace depend on wishful thinking, "god will do it" "only god can save us" "god will punish our leaders", and are psychologically unmotivated to be the change we seek. We are still incapable of providing ourselves with basic infrastructure for ourselves. Our Muslim president travels to Germany(an atheist country) to treat ear infections while leaving our country's health care system in shambles.

We have one of the highest birth mortality rates in the world and are also one of the worst countries when it comes to waste management among other things.

And we still have a church on every street and shout "god dey" at every opportunity. undecided
[quote]

The fact is that if we had true christians, we would be in a much better place than we are today Religion is not the problem but the mentality of the people claiming to practice it.

[quote]
7) It is a form of exploitation: Theists are encouraged to not only attend their house of worships regularly but these people who earn less than N18,000 minimum wage are asked to pay 10% of this and pay offerings and make donations for the "work of the Lord" or "for Allah's intervention" and in most cases, these people face the same problems, fears and disappointments like every other human who does not believe in their version of god. A lot of Christians cannot eat three square meals but will donate to their pastor with the little they have.

Imagine you donate N100 every Sunday and there are N1,000 members in your church. That is N100,000 every Sunday. Now, multiply that by all the branches of your church nationwide and you can easily understand why your pastor/imam wears so much shiny suits or drives the best cars or lives in a big mansion or flies private jets and maybe, just maybe, understand why you still live in that face me I face you apartment in the ghetto where you have to queue to take your bath before going for service or to pray at the mosque. It is a pure scam. How can an invincible, lol, god have need for millions of naira. A god that created the universe cannot build a house to ease it's ego itself? Does this even make sense?

Many Christians donate millions that have been used to build schools they will never be able to afford to send their kids to. Seriously?

From the few points I have listed, I know I didn't do much justice to them, it is safe to come to the conclusion that religion is of no particular benefit to us as a nation.

Note: This does not in any way mean that religion is totally bad. Religion has helped many people become upright and become better people in the society. Many people have been able to achieve their dreams through religion and many great achievements in the world were made by very religious people. Personally, I have many role models who are religious and I look up to them for inspiration, knowledge and wisdom.

However, the points I have raised cannot be ignored completely.

Feel free to challenge or add to the points raised. Please do so with maturity and be polite or else all the 4,200 gods will punish you and you generation tongue

Source: Na me write am. You dey find your own? angry grin

I have been raising this point that the root of Nigeria's problem is not Religion but our mentality, there is no mention in the bible where Jesus or his disciples collected money from anyone. Our motivation in this country is the love of money, when Jesus talked about money he talked about giving it to the needy, those that do not have clothes etc. What is happening in churches today is not what Jesus brought about, people have changed the bible to fit themselves.

In addition the image you posted asked for a verse in the bible that talked against slavery, Ignorance is definitely the greatest killer. Check this verse out in the bible. Exodus 21:16 “Whoever steals a man and sells him, and anyone found in possession of him, shall be put to death."

2 Likes 2 Shares

Re: Reasons Why The Abrahamic Religions (Islam and Christianity) are bad for Nigeria by blueAgent(m): 4:55am On Oct 17, 2016
[quote author=hahn post=50243401]"Why do you keep disturbing us and our beliefs?"

That is what Christians and Muslims, Christians more though, always say whenever I challenge their "beliefs".

As an atheist, it might make perfect sense why religion is bad but also theists can also justify why they feel their religion is the best.

So, just have to this on record, I will go ahead to list exactly why I feel religion is bad for us as a nation and why it should be dumped in the trash can.

1) Religious people impose their beliefs on others: And they do that with threats undecided . "Believe in my god or you will go to hell. Believe in my god so you can become successful." What exactly gives anyone the right to go around threatening people with eternal damnation and feel it is right really baffles me. Unfortunately, we will live in a country where people do exactly that. Imagine if your parents tell you, "respect me or I will burn you up", or if as a woman a guy approaches you and says, "baby, I like you and I will like to date you. If you don't I will kill you and burn you up". undecided

This is a message of blackmail and not love. And these same people will cry "persecution" when you tell them to prove their claim undecided

Christians happily "evangelize" to people in the hospital saying "accept Jesus Christ so you do not suffer for eternity in the afterlife" but I wonder how they would feel if I, as an atheist, was to go around telling Christians about to die in hospital beds that, "remember everything your pastor told you? It is all bullshit and they have been exploiting you all your life" tongue

2) Religion divides us: It is not enough that, as Africans, we are divided into thousands of tribal groups and villages but we now have to add the religious divide to it. Christians have over 30,000 denominations and Muslims are also divided into Sunnis and Shiites. The recent killings of Muslims going on in the North is as a result of this division and is proof of what I mean.

As a nation, we will never be able to unite and stand as a voice or for any cause based on this reason. Whenever there is a political campaign, our politicians happily bring up religion to fool the people. The Christian/Muslim or Muslim/Christian proposal tag team is way more important to Nigerians than the credibility, integrity, the vision and potential of the candidates and merit is word that is alien to us.

Even when you want to get a job, your religious beliefs, in some cases, determines if you will get it or not. Are you Mulsim or Christian? What church do you attend? What parish do you attend? These questions are way more important than, "can you execute the job efficiently?" in some cases.

3) It appeals to our meanness and our selfishness: So, you happen to be in a bus with 24 passengers and you get in an accident and everyone else dies but you survive. After treatment, you head to church to give a "testimony" on how your god protected you and everyone sings "praise the lord". No one cares about the people that have died. Some people will even brag that "my god is a living god". So, even despite the fact that god allegedly created all of us, we are happy that it seems to favor some of us over other.

Lots of theists will happily tell you that as a non-believer you will go to hell and burn in eternity. The concept of hell is quite broad as not only will "unbelievers" go to hell but other people who do not believe in your particular version of god will also go to hell. In fact, over 80% of Christians and Muslims will go to hell because the guidelines to even qualify for heaven are not only ridiculous but also quite impossible to attain. Read your holy book properly to understand this.

The idea of an all-loving entity comfortable with burning humans for eternity is not bad enough, it is savage, cruel and condescending that, as humans, we love the idea and are actually looking forward to the day we will say "told you so!" and laugh while we watch billions of people burn in hell as we sing boring hymns for eternity.

4) Their claims are unverifiable and contradictory: Christians say that Jesus is the way while Muslims say Allah is the way. Aside from the fact that they cannot prove that either of these gods even exists, isn't it ridiculous that we have a Muslim president and a Christian vice president? Is no one concerned that one of them will burn in hell forever? undecided

I am derailing.

None of the characters in the bible existed outside of the bible. They are all fairytales. Jesus, Solomon, David, heaven, hell etc never existed and there are no tangible evidence for their existences.

Islam is not better. So, god appeared to Mohammed the illiterate war lord and serial pedophile and decided to place all of humanity's faith on the message delivered in Arabic. And the angel Gabriel also speaks Arabic is utter bs. None of these things are verifiable.

We are all required to "believe". Seriously, if someone told you to believe that there is a house somewhere and asks you to pay for it without seeing it and just believe you now have a house, won't you punch the person in the face for taking you for a mugu? But for our religious folks, the promise of an afterlife that has never been proven to exist is a cool ideology to believe in.

As regards contradictions, I will leave you to read your holy book for once to figure that out for yourself.

5) It makes us unpatriotic: Christians happily declare themselves to be children of Israel and Muslims will claim that Mecca is the holy land. Apparently, none of these people feel that Nigeria is even worth it and still complain when the immigration in other countries disrespect us when they see our pa

Clown. your ingnorance is beyond comprehension.
You write in English and use the internet all products of christain civilization and you still.have the mouth to post this trash.

1 Like

Re: Reasons Why The Abrahamic Religions (Islam and Christianity) are bad for Nigeria by blueAgent(m): 5:01am On Oct 17, 2016
You know a fool by their Works.
Re: Reasons Why The Abrahamic Religions (Islam and Christianity) are bad for Nigeria by blueAgent(m): 5:05am On Oct 17, 2016
ValentineMary:
Well said Hahn. The religious folly we display is sickening. I don't have problem with people practicing religion but when it makes people do dumb things, then it is eitheru stop being dumb or stop being religious.

See what makes people dumb.

www.nairaland.com/3375036/christanity-blessing-africa
Re: Reasons Why The Abrahamic Religions (Islam and Christianity) are bad for Nigeria by blueAgent(m): 5:13am On Oct 17, 2016
ValentineMary:
Today is another Sunday and I just can't ignore the noise arround me in the name of service..Upon all our religions, we are still a very corrupt nation. The funny part is that if we decide to be irreligious, Nigerians would complain and cry that u would go to hell. If u decide not to be corrupt, they would tag u naive and tell u how much u would suffer in future.Someone pls help the stupidity of my people is alarming.

If u are corrupt but irreligious, u would be labeled devil's agent.If u are religious but not corrupt, u are naive and "JJC"If u are both corrupt and religious u would be given front row in the church.If u are neither corrupt nor religious u would not be allowed into the church and would still be labeled devil's agent..How then can we grow sane kids?

Is Okija Shrine and other corruption issues in Nigeria also Abrahamic religeon?
Re: Reasons Why The Abrahamic Religions (Islam and Christianity) are bad for Nigeria by blueAgent(m): 5:22am On Oct 17, 2016
SalomonKane:
I agree with all the points sited. Why do I agree? Simple, we've seen the disastrous things christians and moslems do in this country.

Lemme point you to a few:

1. The little girl who was kidnapped and married off even though she's just 14.

2. The killing and maiming of moslems by their fellow moslems.

3. The hijab brouhaha that happened in Osun state, where a group drug addicts believe their religion is superior to the law of the state. Etc.

It's no news that nothing divides a people more than religion. The sooner we throw it out and alienate it from everything that has to do with state, the better it will be for us all.

All this existed in Africa and this entity called Nigeria before Christainity came to Africa.
Stop blaming Africa's failure on Christainity.

Re: Reasons Why The Abrahamic Religions (Islam and Christianity) are bad for Nigeria by blueAgent(m): 5:24am On Oct 17, 2016
hopefulLandlord:

hmmm

I agree to a large extent with the above

but we have to see that there's a verse being "misinterpreted" according to you but "well interpreted" according to someone else, this is further buttressed by so many denominations of Christianity, each claiming their own interpretation is right

who therefore is actually right?

who is interpreting "vanity upon vanities" the right way?

promise of heaven simply makes many Nigerians lazy about the here and now, that's simply a fact

seriously speaking, if I'm sure that I'll hit £1B lottery in 20 year's time, how do you think I'll put efforts in the here and now? I'll probably just do enough to survive till then, not try to better my life in the now financially since there would be no such thing as financial handicap in my life in 2 decades time,

would you see me saving? building houses? etc

why would I do that when there's a £1B waiting for me in 20 years time?

that is how the concept of afterlife affects the now of the average Nigerian Abrahamic god adherents; just talk to them for a few minutes and they'll quickly spill it to you indirectly

Stop sounding like a kid. if Nigerians were obessed about Heaven there will not be corruption or killing. becos nothing unclean will enter their. Nigerians are mentally lazy. our problem is our IQ not religeon.

Let me ask this dudes prior to the advent of christainity in Nigeria. what legacy and mutinational companies did Nigeria create?

If we have made any progress at all it was after the introduction of Christainity.

1 Like 1 Share

Re: Reasons Why The Abrahamic Religions (Islam and Christianity) are bad for Nigeria by blueAgent(m): 5:25am On Oct 17, 2016
EyeHateGod:
This Kind Golden thread can Never make Fp But if na Snake and the other Nonsense grin

Thumbs up hahn Nice Thread You get Here!
As For Me i don't Have a problem with people practicing Their Religion, But what i need is My Freedom from Religion! I was sleeping the other day B4 u Know Speakers all for corners the location was far but it still affects me i couldn't sleep throughout that Night. It seams that Yahweh Ear Don deff oh that his Followers will have to use Speaker b4 They Can communicate with Him. i just need my Freedom From religion shikena

Naive.
Re: Reasons Why The Abrahamic Religions (Islam and Christianity) are bad for Nigeria by felixomor: 5:38am On Oct 17, 2016
DoctorAlien:
This article is biased, at best, and stupid at worst.

How can you claim religion divides Nigeria? Nigeria has ever been divided. In fact, Nigeria came to be when three regions were amalgamated. Religion was never in the picture then.

Ask an atheist why he wants you to stop believing in GOD, and he will give you no satisfactory answer. The atheist's evangelism is one of hopelessness.

I still don't understand why Nairaland atheists are obsessed with GOD. They wake up by 2 am just to open a topic on GOD. Seriously? You're losing sleep over what does not exist?

The point that capped the stupidity of this post is the assertion that no Bible character ever existed. Even extrabiblical sources corroborate the existence of some Biblical characters!

Tacitus, the Roman historian has a piece on Jesus. It would really do Nairaland atheists much good if they spent more time reading.

Well said, honestly!
Re: Reasons Why The Abrahamic Religions (Islam and Christianity) are bad for Nigeria by blueAgent(m): 5:40am On Oct 17, 2016
kilo4sure:

Why would l abandon my present health if l'm sure to be healthy in 20 years time? I don't get you. Anyway, what more can l say? just wanted to correct the impression that the bible promises mansions in heaven simply as a means to escape the world, there are great works to be done in order to attain such mansions. Go find out what those works are.

Do you expect someone with this Obvious low IQ to comprehend that?
Re: Reasons Why The Abrahamic Religions (Islam and Christianity) are bad for Nigeria by felixomor: 5:40am On Oct 17, 2016
blueAgent:

Stop sounding like a kid. if Nigerians were obessed about Heaven there will not be corruption or killing. becos nothing unclran will enter their. Nigerians are mentally lazy. our problem is our IQ not religeon.

Let me ask this dudes prior to the advent of christainity in Nigeria. what legacy and mutinational companies did Nigeria create?

If we have made any progress at all it was after the introduction of Christainity.

Please sound it louder for the mumus who call themselves atheists that are pretending to reason.
Re: Reasons Why The Abrahamic Religions (Islam and Christianity) are bad for Nigeria by blueAgent(m): 5:43am On Oct 17, 2016
plaetton:

Most religious people, Abrahamic religions, think that scientific curiosity and exploration, robs their God of his mystery and majesty.
The more we demystify the universe, the less the need for superstitions and myths to fill in the gaps.

Therefore, my friend's reaction was just probably a programmed knee-jerk reaction.

I see that type of reaction all the time.

And still yet virtually all of the world inventions and scientific acheivements where done by Christains?

Get sense. i have added a link already for you.
get sense apps.

www.getandinstallsense.com
Re: Reasons Why The Abrahamic Religions (Islam and Christianity) are bad for Nigeria by blueAgent(m): 5:45am On Oct 17, 2016
Sammy07:
I know there will be world war 3 and religious will likely cause the main reason

Sure as planned by Atheists(Satanists) who invented Communislim and Atheism to decieve and enslave gulliable people like U.
Re: Reasons Why The Abrahamic Religions (Islam and Christianity) are bad for Nigeria by blueAgent(m): 5:49am On Oct 17, 2016
Ranchhoddas:
Yes. Their religiousity is as a result of their poverty. A good healthcare system will make citizens less likely to pray for healing, a working economy would make them less likely to pray for visa abroad, jobs, contracts etc. An efficient educational system would make students less likely to pray for good grades. Comprende?

Lie. Italians have high living standard same with Qatar,Saudi,Kuwait,US,Europe but they are still religeous.

1 Like 1 Share

Re: Reasons Why The Abrahamic Religions (Islam and Christianity) are bad for Nigeria by blueAgent(m): 5:50am On Oct 17, 2016
seankay:
This should be on FP. It's eye and mind opening

Not every open eye can see and not every Sound mind can reason.thats Obvious.

1 Like

Re: Reasons Why The Abrahamic Religions (Islam and Christianity) are bad for Nigeria by felixomor: 5:54am On Oct 17, 2016
blueAgent:

Lie. Italians have living standard same with Qatar,Saudi,Kuwait,US,Europe but they are still religeous.

In addition, the oil rich gulf countries are super wealthy and they are also highly religious.
Re: Reasons Why The Abrahamic Religions (Islam and Christianity) are bad for Nigeria by blueAgent(m): 5:57am On Oct 17, 2016
plaetton:
I have asked myself many many times why I loathe religion, the Abrahamic religions so much. I ask myself this question quite often because the last thing I want to become is bigot, to be the very thing that I loathe so much.
And it comes to this.
In the course of my life, I have interacted with people from many many different nationalities, in school, at work, in business, and in social settings, with different cultures and religious worldviews.

A popular belief among Caucasians and Asians are that Blacks have lower cranial dexterity. As a black person, we do all we can to dispel this idea that we are not as smart as everyone else.

However, our affinity for fables, superstition and stone age nonsense is a monumental embarrassment to those who work hard to show that Blacks have as much cranial dexterity as everyone other race.

The other day at an event, I overheard two gentlemen talking seriously about a conference. I crashed in on the conversation, curious to know whether they talking about an economic conference, business conference or whatever was of interest.
They were talking about a Bible conference. Imagine the disappointment in my face. It was like cold water was poured on my curiosity and excitement.

There, I began to ask myself again, why does religion, middle East religion of 2000yrs ago, occupy sooooo much of the African mind ?

The truth is that I have never in my life experiences, walked in on non-Africans( Nigerians) having a serious discussion about religion, the Bible, God etc. These issues only come up when , out of curiosity, I introduce the topic.

What is the allure of " the supernatural" and hand-me-down tokumbo religions to Africans ?

In a typical social setting, try to gather some Nigerians to discuss, for good example , the international space station, or the discovery of new planets and stars. You would likely receive scoffs, mockery of the " white man's" attempt to usurp god.

I try seriously to understand the psychology of religion, as it relates to the African mind.

Is it our poor educational standards?

Is it a deliberately planted TROJAN HORSE by the cunning Europeans ?

Is it just an accident of history that religious superstitions just happened to be a convenient and timely SUBSTITUTE for our own discredited cultural superstitions?

Or,
Is it actually true that Blacks are mentally lazy, and hardwired for simple superstitions that do not involve the rigors of empirical investigations ?

Religion, for me, tends to confirm the stereotype that Africans are mentally lazy, hence the deep attachments , and serious pre-occupation with silly beliefs that add ZERO values to our lives, our SOCIETIES, our future.

This why I see people like Adeboye, Oyedepo, Oyaks and the many many hordes of them as purveyors of WEAPONS OF MIND DESTRUCTION ( WMD).

The Question is all the Nigerian Ahiests what have they done for Nigeria?
Last time i checked most Nigerian owned companies and business were founded and owned by religeous people. Dangote,Globacom,Banks in Nigeria,Capital oil,BUA, Ibeto,Genesis fastfoods,Visa phone , and so on. the list is endless .if religeon did not stop this ones. then Athiest check yourselves you are your own failure not Christains.

1 Like 1 Share

Re: Reasons Why The Abrahamic Religions (Islam and Christianity) are bad for Nigeria by blueAgent(m): 5:59am On Oct 17, 2016
felixomor:

In addition, the oil rich gulf countries are super wealthy and they are also highly religious.

I wonder. the funny thing is that if Nigerians sincerly pratice Christainity, Nigeria will be very Successful.
Re: Reasons Why The Abrahamic Religions (Islam and Christianity) are bad for Nigeria by felixomor: 6:00am On Oct 17, 2016
blueAgent:

I wonder. the funny thing is that if Nigerians sincerly pratice Christainity, Nigeria will be very Successful.

Well well, my brother.
I concur
Re: Reasons Why The Abrahamic Religions (Islam and Christianity) are bad for Nigeria by blueAgent(m): 6:01am On Oct 17, 2016
hopefulLandlord:

maybe the bible didn't say that which is your own interpretation of it
but simply listen to early morning preachers
"where would you spend your eternity"
"vanity upon vanities"
"hell and heaven is real"
"come to Jesus today"
"there would be no sickness in heaven"
"no wars"
"eternal happiness and bliss"
Clown, The Bible promotes or encourages people to work hard and be creative.
Proverbs 13:4 - The soul of the sluggard desireth, and [hath] nothing: but the soul of the diligent shall be made fat. Colossians 3:23 - And whatsoever ye do, do [it] heartily, as to the Lord, and not unto men; 2 Thessalonians 3:10 - For even when we were with you, this we commanded you, that if any would not work, neither should he eat. Proverbs 10:4 - He becometh poor that dealeth [with] a slack hand: but the hand of the diligent maketh rich. Proverbs 18:9 - He also that is slothful in his work is brother to him that is a great waster. 1 Timothy 5:8 - But if any provide not for his own, and specially for those of his own house, he hath denied the faith, and is worse than an infidel. Proverbs 21:25 - The desire of the slothful killeth him; for his hands refuse to labour. Proverbs 20:4 - The sluggard will not plow by reason of the cold; [therefore] shall he beg in harvest, and [have] nothing. Proverbs 24:30-34 - I went by the field of the slothful, and by the vineyard of the man void of understanding; (Read More...) Proverbs 20:13 - Love not sleep, lest thou come to poverty; open thine eyes, [and] thou shalt be satisfied with bread. Proverbs 19:15 - Slothfulness casteth into a deep sleep; and an idle soul shall suffer hunger. John 5:17 - But Jesus answered them, My Father worketh hitherto, and I work. Proverbs 6:6 - Go to the ant, thou sluggard; consider her ways, and be wise: Proverbs 12:24 - The hand of the diligent shall bear rule: but the slothful shall be under tribute.

1 Like 1 Share

Re: Reasons Why The Abrahamic Religions (Islam and Christianity) are bad for Nigeria by Ranchhoddas: 6:09am On Oct 17, 2016
blueAgent:

Lie. Italians have high living standard same with Qatar,Saudi,Kuwait,US,Europe but they are still religeous.
As religious as Nigerians??
Re: Reasons Why The Abrahamic Religions (Islam and Christianity) are bad for Nigeria by blueAgent(m): 6:18am On Oct 17, 2016
Ranchhoddas:
As religious as Nigerians??
Ask yourselves were muslims go for pilgrimage. and were the Vatican is located.
Re: Reasons Why The Abrahamic Religions (Islam and Christianity) are bad for Nigeria by Ranchhoddas: 6:19am On Oct 17, 2016
felixomor:

SMH
Re: Reasons Why The Abrahamic Religions (Islam and Christianity) are bad for Nigeria by Ranchhoddas: 6:21am On Oct 17, 2016
blueAgent:

Ask yourselves were muslims go for pilgrimage. and were the Vatican is located.
Na wa for you. Is that what I asked you? Where do Christians go for pilgrimage?
Re: Reasons Why The Abrahamic Religions (Islam and Christianity) are bad for Nigeria by felixomor: 6:53am On Oct 17, 2016
Ranchhoddas:
SMH

Shake am well, well
grin
Re: Reasons Why The Abrahamic Religions (Islam and Christianity) are bad for Nigeria by SalomonKane: 7:23am On Oct 17, 2016
blueAgent:

All this existed in Africa and this entity called Nigeria before Christainity came to Africa.
Stop blaming Africa's failure on Christainity.

Really? Care to sight a few example?

1 Like

Re: Reasons Why The Abrahamic Religions (Islam and Christianity) are bad for Nigeria by raphieMontella: 7:58am On Oct 17, 2016
[quote author=blueAgent post=50264154][/quote] you mean the internet is a product of christians? Can you please prove this?
Re: Reasons Why The Abrahamic Religions (Islam and Christianity) are bad for Nigeria by raphieMontella: 7:59am On Oct 17, 2016
blueAgent:

And still yet virtually all of the world inventions and scientific acheivements where done by Christains?

Get sense. i have added a link already for you.
get sense apps.

www.getandinstallsense.com
the bolded...please prove it..

1 Like

Re: Reasons Why The Abrahamic Religions (Islam and Christianity) are bad for Nigeria by blueAgent(m): 8:26am On Oct 17, 2016
SalomonKane:
Really? Care to sight a few example?

click the link i gave you. read and understand.
Re: Reasons Why The Abrahamic Religions (Islam and Christianity) are bad for Nigeria by blueAgent(m): 8:32am On Oct 17, 2016
Ranchhoddas:
Na wa for you. Is that what I asked you? Where do Christians go for pilgrimage?

You asked me if, they were as religious like Nigeria and i asked you to fellow the pilgrimage.if those places i mentioned were not religeous they would not be hosting pilgrims

I thought you Atheists had High IQ to understand diff. concepts of communications?
Re: Reasons Why The Abrahamic Religions (Islam and Christianity) are bad for Nigeria by Ranchhoddas: 8:35am On Oct 17, 2016
blueAgent:

You asked me if, they were as religious like Nigeria and i asked you to fellow the pilgrimage.if those places i mentioned were not religeous they would not be hosting pilgrims

I thought you Atheists had High IQ to understand diff. concepts of communications?
Anyone who disagrees with you on an issue is an atheist. I can see how high your IQ is.

1 Like

Re: Reasons Why The Abrahamic Religions (Islam and Christianity) are bad for Nigeria by blueAgent(m): 8:42am On Oct 17, 2016
raphieMontella:

you mean the internet is a product of christians?
Can you please prove this?

Last time i checked US still had over 78% religeous. by 1965 they had over 80%.
Internet was invented by Christains in a christain nation. by the way are there countries with @least 25% Apetheists.

www.godandscience.org/apologetics/sciencefaith.html

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (Reply)

Death Is Not The Opposite Of Life, It Simply Is The Absence Of It. / Where Is Ife Oodaye Located? /

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 145
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.