Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,152,936 members, 7,817,728 topics. Date: Saturday, 04 May 2024 at 06:10 PM

Lagos To Introduce Electric Vehicles In 2010[in A Blackout Nation] - Business (4) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Business / Lagos To Introduce Electric Vehicles In 2010[in A Blackout Nation] (16825 Views)

CBN To Introduce Lower Denominations On Atms / CBN To Introduce N5,000 Note / CBN Plans To Introduce N5000, N2000 Notes (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10) ... (14) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Lagos To Introduce Electric Vehicles In 2010[in A Blackout Nation] by 9ja4eva: 6:53pm On Oct 23, 2009
I believe in Fashola
Re: Lagos To Introduce Electric Vehicles In 2010[in A Blackout Nation] by Nobody: 7:01pm On Oct 23, 2009
MUZBO:

Poster, all u should consider really is the concept behind the need for d electric cars- to combat climate change! No one said that will be cheap. The melting polar ice and extreme weather will not wait for anyone. The only disturbing fact is that Lagos a part of this unindustralized Nigeria is in the fore-front to combat clime change but it is soothing that Gov Fash's effort is being honoured. So poster though I'd have suggested they encourage hybrids first but its still all good. If you think because we lack constant power then we dont need electric cars then pls throw your fridge away because its pretty much the same thing and so you dont need it.

You are not making sense at all. Our major concern now as a THIRD WORLD COUNTRY, is reducing hunger, poverty, death rates, providng basic amenities, trying to get our life expectancy rates to acceptable levels. Basically engaging reasonable projects and not white elephant projects that are not really FEASIBLE(lack of supporting infrastructure) and cost effective (avenue for stealing money, 2011 elections don almost reach).

How much of global warming do you think we can fight by spending all our money on electric cars? only stupid people will think like this, and i hope Fashola is not stupid after all. As I said before our vehicular emissions are not even SIGNIFICANT in the grand scheme of global warming as compared to the industrialized nations.

@ All (especially babapupa)

Im sorry, you can argue from now till kingdom come, but there's no justification whatsoever for this kind of project in lagos state right now. Let us learn to crawl first before running.
IT IS A STUPID IDEA that means nothing to the common man in Ajegunle or Oshodi.
We have TOO MANY basic problems that need to be looked into and SOLVED.
This IMHO is extremely insensitive and STUPID!
Re: Lagos To Introduce Electric Vehicles In 2010[in A Blackout Nation] by AloyEmeka6: 7:06pm On Oct 23, 2009
Adrenaline:

You are not making sense at all. Our major concern now as a THIRD WORLD COUNTRY, is reducing hunger, poverty, death rates, providng basic amenities, trying to get our life expectancy rates to acceptable levels. Basically engaging reasonable projects and not white elephant projects that are not really FEASIBLE(lack of supporting infrastructure) and cost effective (avenue for stealing money, 2011 elections don almost reach).

How much of global warming do you think we can fight by spending all our money on electric cars? only stupid people will think like this, and i hope Fashola is not stupid after all. As I said before our vehicular emissions are not even SIGNIFICANT in the grand scheme of global warming as compared to the industrialized nations.

Im sorry, you can argue from now till kingdom come, but there's no justification whatsoever for this kind of project in lagos state right now. Let us learn to crawl first before running.

Man never chop, dem dey talk about climate. Wetin concern alaye wey dey fight for daily bread with climate? grin grin
Re: Lagos To Introduce Electric Vehicles In 2010[in A Blackout Nation] by Kobojunkie: 7:08pm On Oct 23, 2009
9ja4eva:

I believe in Fashola

Simple and to the point ,man!!

Now if only @Babapupa would simply post the above as his reason for supporting this project rather than shooting himself left and right trying to make some non-existent point on why this is, at this time, a viable project.
Re: Lagos To Introduce Electric Vehicles In 2010[in A Blackout Nation] by Fhemmmy: 7:15pm On Oct 23, 2009
Adrenaline:

I think too much praise and all that is now getting into his head that he wanna overdo.
Such project for lagos at this point is plain stupid and a waste of money
Re: Lagos To Introduce Electric Vehicles In 2010[in A Blackout Nation] by sjeezy8: 7:19pm On Oct 23, 2009
As a Nigerian i am ashamed of all the stupid comments coming from small minded educated illiterates as NL folks would say.
What dont you get, the electric cars are power by [size=15pt]solar energy[/size] or do you people not see [size=15pt]solar panels [/size] being used?
The developed Nations now see the Value Africa holds and how global warming is decaying Africa FASTER than any other continent. Africa being the MOST valuable continent in terms of globalization and resources is now the center of concern for DEVELOPED COUNTRIES WHO GET MOST OF THEIR RESOURCES FROM AFRICA. Going "green" is meant to slow down global warming. If africa isn't sustained HOW WILL THE REST OF THE WORLD WHO IMPORT MOST RESOURCES FROM AFRICA, SUSTAIN THEMSELVES?

YOU PEOPLE ARE VERY DAFT SHA

2. Private investors are the ones supplying all these, SOLAR POWER IS CHEAPER AND ENVIRONMENTALLY FRIENDLY   . Lagos state just happens to have a the MOST progressive Governor in AFRICA, who understands GLOBAL WARMING and its effect in Africa (which is the center of globlization in the WORLD).
Some people need to go to school mehn
WHETHER YOU PEOPLE LIKE IT OR NOT AFRICA'S ENVIORMENT IS THE MOST IMPORTANT ISSUE IN THE WORLD. Africa is changing, so is Lagos state and Nigeria
Re: Lagos To Introduce Electric Vehicles In 2010[in A Blackout Nation] by Fhemmmy: 7:24pm On Oct 23, 2009
sjeezy8:

As a Nigerian i am ashamed of all the stupid comments coming from small minded educated illiterates as NL folks would say.
What dont you get, the electric cars are power by [size=15pt]solar energy[/size] or do you people not see [size=15pt]solar panels [/size] being used?
The developed Nations now see the Value Africa holds and how global warming is decaying Africa FASTER than any other continent. Africa being the MOST valuable continent in terms of globalization and resources is now the center of concern for DEVELOPED COUNTRIES WHO GET MOST OF THEIR RESOURCES FROM AFRICA. Going "green" is meant to slow down global warming. If africa isn't sustained HOW WILL THE REST OF THE WORLD WHO IMPORT MOST RESOURCES FROM AFRICA, SUSTAIN THEMSELVES?

2. Private investors are the ones supplying all these, SOLAR POWER IS CHEAPER AND ENVIRONMENTALLY FRIENDLY   . Lagos state just happens to have a the MOST progressive Governor in AFRICA, who understands GLOBAL WARMING and its effect in Africa (which is the center of globlization in the WORLD).
WHETHER YOU PEOPLE LIKE IT OR NOT AFRICA'S ENVIORMENT IS THE MOST IMPORTANT ISSUE IN THE WORLD. Africa is changing, so is Lagos state and Nigeria

Do u actually understand th difference btw powering the ride with solar and powering it with electricity?
I hope you do, else, you have some shock to see.
Electrical power run ride are plugged to charge the battery cells and that is very much different from the solar run cars.
Re: Lagos To Introduce Electric Vehicles In 2010[in A Blackout Nation] by Fhemmmy: 7:30pm On Oct 23, 2009
Electric vehicles are propelled by an electric motor (or motors) powered by rechargeable battery packs. Electric motors have several advantages over internal combustion engines (ICEs):
Energy efficient. Electric motors convert 75% of the chemical energy from the batteries to power the wheels—internal combustion engines (ICEs) only convert 20% of the energy stored in gasoline.
Environmentally friendly. EVs emit no tailpipe pollutants, although the power plant producing the electricity may emit them. Electricity from nuclear-, hydro-, solar-, or wind-powered plants causes no air pollutants.
Performance benefits. Electric motors provide quiet, smooth operation and stronger acceleration and require less maintenance than ICEs.
Reduce energy dependence. Electricity is a domestic energy source.

Now if the govt now said, they will get the energy source to power this using a solar energy, that is a different case.

Here are the current challenges:

Driving range. Most EVs can only go about 100–200 miles before recharging—gasoline vehicles can go over 300 miles before refueling.

Recharge time. Fully recharging the battery pack can take 4 to 8 hours. Even a "quick charge" to 80% capacity can take 30 min.

Battery cost: The large battery packs are expensive and may need to be replaced one or more times.

Bulk & weight: Battery packs are heavy and take up considerable vehicle space.

With the traffic and all that on lagos road, i will like to see how long befor the battery will need recharging
Re: Lagos To Introduce Electric Vehicles In 2010[in A Blackout Nation] by AloyEmeka6: 7:34pm On Oct 23, 2009
sjeezy8:

Your Harvard english is always very difficult for me to decipher. Try writing in Yoruba or ask BabaPupa to teach you how to write readable english.
Re: Lagos To Introduce Electric Vehicles In 2010[in A Blackout Nation] by manny4life(m): 7:53pm On Oct 23, 2009
sjeezy8:

2. Private investors are the ones supplying all these, SOLAR POWER IS CHEAPER AND ENVIRONMENTALLY FRIENDLY . Lagos state just happens to have a the MOST progressive Governor in AFRICA, who understands GLOBAL WARMING and its effect in Africa (which is the center of globlization in the WORLD).

For real dude do you clearly understand the difference between electric cars and solar energy?
Re: Lagos To Introduce Electric Vehicles In 2010[in A Blackout Nation] by Fhemmmy: 8:02pm On Oct 23, 2009
manny4life:

For real dude do you clearly understand the difference between electric cars and solar energy?
Lol
Re: Lagos To Introduce Electric Vehicles In 2010[in A Blackout Nation] by MrCrackles(m): 8:06pm On Oct 23, 2009
manny4life:

I dont think he does. . . . grin
Re: Lagos To Introduce Electric Vehicles In 2010[in A Blackout Nation] by manny4life(m): 8:09pm On Oct 23, 2009
Man I'm not an engineer but I've done a little bit of a study on this and  here are the basics.

Like @Fhemmmy explained, electric cars are the ones that are powered by electricity and a prime example are like the golf carts, small tour carts and so on, you get the idea. They are plugged directly into the wall socket to charge just like your phone does just that those sockets are a little bit bigger and obviously I would assume carry a high amount of voltage across it as compared to your regular socket. It does not use SOLAR POWER

Solar energy, this uses silicon panels as a form of heat transfer to get get solar energy and convert it to electrical energy and obviously there's a lot of conversion process that goes through. The point I'm trying to pass here is that unless electricity is created either through solar or or regular source, the electrical cars won't work. Let me correct you that the solar energy and its conversion are not CHEAPER like you claim. Currently, a sq.ft of silicon panel stands at $4 to $7, however compnies are trying to bring the cost down to about $2 per sq.ft
Re: Lagos To Introduce Electric Vehicles In 2010[in A Blackout Nation] by GTay(m): 8:10pm On Oct 23, 2009
lol, i'm loving these arguments  grin
Re: Lagos To Introduce Electric Vehicles In 2010[in A Blackout Nation] by aok438: 8:12pm On Oct 23, 2009
seriously . what do you expects ibos clamouring for biafra to say about lagos---- seroiusly you dont expect all the ibo names on this forum to pat Fashola on the back-even if he[b] brings down the moon [/b]- the ibos will still say he hasnt done anything---ibos will be ibos no matter what you say----If it was an abia governor they wouldnt be saying stupid things- HAIL B I A F R A!cheesy cheesy cheesy

IF IBOS are so HARDWORKING why cant they develop their own states instead of coming to act stupid in lagos!!

THE ELECTRIC CAR IDEA IS AWESOME>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>
Re: Lagos To Introduce Electric Vehicles In 2010[in A Blackout Nation] by manny4life(m): 8:14pm On Oct 23, 2009
aok438:

seriously . what do you expects ibos clamouring for biafra to say about lagos---- seroiusly you dont expect all the ibo names on this forum to pat Fashola on the back-even if he[b] brings down the moon [/b]- the ibos will still say he hasnt done anything---ibos will be ibos no matter what you say----If it was an abia governor they wouldnt be saying stupid things- HAIL B I A F R A!cheesy cheesy cheesy

IF IBOS are so smart why cant they develop their own states instead of coming to act stupid in lagos!!

Damn dude, you taken this issue to become a tribal issue, slow it down man it ain't all that serious.
Re: Lagos To Introduce Electric Vehicles In 2010[in A Blackout Nation] by Fhemmmy: 8:15pm On Oct 23, 2009
aok438:

IF IBOS are so smart why cant they develop their own states instead of coming to act stupid in lagos!!

i dont think that was called for, we all sharing views and arguing as individuals and not as tribes.
i think we taking this tribal nonsense too far
Re: Lagos To Introduce Electric Vehicles In 2010[in A Blackout Nation] by manny4life(m): 8:17pm On Oct 23, 2009
As far as I'm concerned, and as long as electricity is a major problem in Nigeria, its not really a good idea. Although the project would launch, but set backs would be greater than the initial advantage driving everything to ground 0, in other words it won't last long. The cost would be more greater than its benefit in the long run.
Re: Lagos To Introduce Electric Vehicles In 2010[in A Blackout Nation] by sjeezy8: 8:21pm On Oct 23, 2009
Yea that why there called SOLAR ELECTRIC PANELS (PV PANELS)

Solar panels convert visible sunlight to renewable electrical energy.

Become energy independent, reduce your utility bills, protect yourself against blackouts and reduce environmental pollution!

Solar Electric (or Solar PV) systems convert sunlight to electricity. The systems consist of modules - or solar panels - inverter, charger and batteries. The PV modules generate DC electricity and send it to the inverter, the inverter transforms DC power into AC electricity and regulates the charge of batteries. The batteries store electricity that can be used at night or during blackouts.
http://www.solardirect.com/pv/pv.htm

YOU GUYS SHOULD REALLY GO AND READ
Re: Lagos To Introduce Electric Vehicles In 2010[in A Blackout Nation] by Fhemmmy: 8:21pm On Oct 23, 2009
manny4life:

As far as I'm concerned, and as long as electricity still is a major problem in Nigeria, its not really a good idea. Although the project would launch, but set backs would be greater than the initial advantage driving everything to ground 0, in other words it won't last long. The cost would be more greater than its benefit in the long run.

Very true, i think they need to take the project of giving light to every household from the daft FG and deal with that first and then, afterwards, they can introduce electrical cars
Re: Lagos To Introduce Electric Vehicles In 2010[in A Blackout Nation] by Fhemmmy: 8:22pm On Oct 23, 2009
sjeezy8:

And has the govt said, they will tap electricity from solar source/
not at all.
there is a big difference and dont let us just argue blindly.
Re: Lagos To Introduce Electric Vehicles In 2010[in A Blackout Nation] by aok438: 8:26pm On Oct 23, 2009
And now t[b]hey will deny that their criticism is not based on tribe[/b]---They would claim they are simply being plain and honest---DECEIT IS THEIR NATURE!!--LIKE I SAID NO MATTER WHAT IBOS WILL BE IBOS cool T[b]hey are trying to pull everything around them down in order to achieve B i A f R a d:[/b]-- Every one knows thier stupid game tongue
Re: Lagos To Introduce Electric Vehicles In 2010[in A Blackout Nation] by Fhemmmy: 8:26pm On Oct 23, 2009
aok438:

And now t[b]hey will deny that their criticism is not based on tribe[/b]---They would claim they are simply being plain and honest---DECEIT IS THEIR NATURE!!--LIKE I SAID NO MATTER WHAT IBOS WILL BE IBOS cool They are trying to pull everything around them down in order to ahieve B i A f R a d:-- Every one knows thier stupid game tongue

This is a thread about electrical cars and that
Re: Lagos To Introduce Electric Vehicles In 2010[in A Blackout Nation] by sjeezy8: 8:28pm On Oct 23, 2009
THIS IS NOT ABOUT ELECTRICITY IN THE STATE BUT ELECTRIC ENERGY FOR CARS.

Didn't you see the example BABAPUPA POSTED

They consisted of SOLAR ELECTRIC PANELS

so yea please dont let us not argue blindly as you said.
Re: Lagos To Introduce Electric Vehicles In 2010[in A Blackout Nation] by manny4life(m): 8:30pm On Oct 23, 2009
sjeezy8:

Go on and read what exactly? I'm a little bit confused, perhaps you can better explain how u mean by go on and read.

Fhemmmy:

And has the govt said, they will tap electricity from solar source/
not at all.
there is a big difference and dont let us just argue blindly.

Obviously the FG did their Cost Benifit Analysis and realised that not only is it expensive, but won't solve the short term electricity problems. If my math was correct and my memory serves me correctly, when I did a litlle bit analysis on this, an investment in this wow technology given the price of the silicon panels regardless of your electricity consumption, would not break-even after 25 years. What it means that you won't get your value of your return on investment immediately given the cost attributed to it.
Re: Lagos To Introduce Electric Vehicles In 2010[in A Blackout Nation] by manny4life(m): 8:34pm On Oct 23, 2009
I am not critiquing solar energy and technology, in fact its a great idea, what I'm saying is that its really very expensive to implement and obviously just like other form of power, it has its disadvantages.
Re: Lagos To Introduce Electric Vehicles In 2010[in A Blackout Nation] by Fhemmmy: 8:35pm On Oct 23, 2009
sjeezy8:

THIS IS NOT ABOUT ELECTRICITY IN THE STATE BUT ELECTRIC ENERGY FOR CARS.

Didn't you see the example BABAPUPA POSTED

They consisted of SOLAR ELECTRIC PANELS

so yea please dont let us not argue blindly as you said.

that was based on what he posted.
But we all know these would be all electrical cars and not powered by solar.
once again, it is a useless invesment
Re: Lagos To Introduce Electric Vehicles In 2010[in A Blackout Nation] by Fhemmmy: 8:36pm On Oct 23, 2009
manny4life:

Go on and read what exactly? I'm a little bit confused, perhaps you can better explain how u mean by go on and read.

Obviously the FG did their Cost Benifit Analysis and realised that not only is it expensive, but won't solve the short term electricity problems. If my math was correct and my memory serves me correctly, when I did a litlle bit analysis on this, an investment in this wow technology given the price of the silicon panels regardless of your electricity consumption, would not break-even after 25 years. What it means that you won't get your value of your return on investment immediately given the cost attributed to it.

the FG can afford to make sure there are lights in every house, but the people that import generators into Nigeria are same poeple funding the campaign of the leaders, so how can they go against what is theirs
Re: Lagos To Introduce Electric Vehicles In 2010[in A Blackout Nation] by manny4life(m): 8:37pm On Oct 23, 2009
aok438:

And now t[b]hey will deny that their criticism is not based on tribe[/b]---They would claim they are simply being plain and honest---DECEIT IS THEIR NATURE!!--LIKE I SAID NO MATTER WHAT IBOS WILL BE IBOS cool T[b]hey are trying to pull everything around them down in order to achieve B i A f R a d:[/b]-- Every one knows thier stupid game tongue

Man you are gradually deviating from the argument before you. I think its wise if you have nothing constructive to say, its time you stick it up with this tribal bullshit. Like I told you man, give this trbal none sense a rest, ok. It ain't all that man, just knock it off.
Re: Lagos To Introduce Electric Vehicles In 2010[in A Blackout Nation] by Fhemmmy: 8:39pm On Oct 23, 2009
manny4life:

Man you are gradually deviating from the argument before you. I think its wise if you have nothing constructive to say, its time you stick it up with this tribal bullshit. Like I told you man, give this trbal none sense a rest, ok. It ain't all that man, just knock it off.

seconded
Re: Lagos To Introduce Electric Vehicles In 2010[in A Blackout Nation] by MUZBO(m): 8:40pm On Oct 23, 2009
Adrenaline:

You are not making sense at all. Our major concern now as a THIRD WORLD COUNTRY, is reducing hunger,. . Basically engaging reasonable projects.
Too much adrenaline can make you myopic- pun intended. I guess you closed your eyes while reading what I wrote. I said the worrisome trend is that Lagos in an un-industralized Nigeria is in the fore-front of fighting global warming. Your adrenaline soaked smart sense-making brain should've told you that I recognise that as a mis-match. Even China is doing little to combat climate change so why should we bother. How much sense have you and the poster made on this issue? I for one know there can be no meaningful change for the better without constant power but you can argue that combating clime change is almost as important as it can be a matter of life and death. Is it Fash that will give power to the whole of Nigeria? He is acting because of the Mega-city status of Lagos( thats one thing you fail to realise). So if he chooses to bring electric cars as Taxis or whatever then protest by not boarding them.
Re: Lagos To Introduce Electric Vehicles In 2010[in A Blackout Nation] by manny4life(m): 8:41pm On Oct 23, 2009
Fhemmmy:

the FG can afford to make sure there are lights in every house, but the people that import generators into Nigeria are same poeple funding the campaign of the leaders, so how can they go against what is theirs

One more reason why it won't work

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10) ... (14) (Reply)

Manufacturers Return To Black Market For Forex / Convert Recharge Card To Money. And Also Convert Money To Airtime Here / CBN To Punish Landlords & Schools That Ask For Dollars

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 87
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.