Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,153,525 members, 7,819,893 topics. Date: Tuesday, 07 May 2024 at 05:23 AM

The Pool Of Blood By Palmer Nuel - Literature - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Entertainment / Literature / The Pool Of Blood By Palmer Nuel (501 Views)

The Journey To Gilleon By Palmer Emmanuel / Clovin - The Secret Of The Journey. By Palmer Emmanuel / Memoirs Of Blood And Steel ( A Fantasy Novel) (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

The Pool Of Blood By Palmer Nuel by Palmernuel(m): 9:35am On Oct 19, 2016
THE POOL OF BLOOD
By PEN

©Palmer Emmanuel 2016

CHAPTER ONE
The war started in1967 and that year it was so tough that every single time vehicles carrying soldiers were always leaving the base, it was that time I and colonel Matins were sent on a mission together. It was on a Saturday morning when I got a message that the general wanted to see me.
When I got to his office he told me I would be going on a mission with colonel Matins he said we could both make a successful team, I wish he knew who Matins was, anyway I was not too bother until he told me he would lead while I assist. But I wondered why such a little boy would be leading us I should have been the one to lead I thought and it was another way of bring me so low before that young man especially when we were rivals.
We were leaving for Onitsha the next day, so I went into my room to get things ready, to make such I never forgot anything important especially my pocket watch and the photograph of Julie.
Very early in the morning I got dressed and hanged my bag and went to the field were colonel Matins had told us to meet him.
“Good morning everyone” I greeted as I got there, the other soldiers saluted me except colonel Matins who said “you are late” I looked at him and laugh first because It looked somehow imagining him leading us secondly I wanted to mock him
“I remember vividly that there was no set time” I said.
“I said morning, I said we should all gather here early in the morning” he screamed at me,
“Wait a minute!” I said then I put my hand on my pocket to bring out my watch, after I brought the watch out from my pocket I said “let me tell you the time” then I looked at the time
“Let me tell you, it’s just pass six” I said and brought out my tongue to scorn him
“Hey! Listen to me” he said patting my shoulder.
“I am in charge here so you must obey me” he turned to the other soldiers “our mission is simple ok! We are to check the place to see how it is going and then report to the base, now let’s move” we all walked down to the vehicle.
I and the others soldier jump into the back of the vehicle while major abbey the driver and colonel Matins sat at the front. The vehicle started and off we went to Onitsha.

CHAPTER TWO

When we got to Onitsha we saw that the whole place was smoking some armies were parading the whole streets. The place was already talking over and there was no need spend time there. Colonel Matins called the base and reported that everything was in control and we were told to head for umuahia immediately. We jump into the vehicle and began to head for umuahia, on our way we saw so many dead people including soldiers on the way and they were several road blocks.
There was a lot of gun firing when we got to umuahia; it was our armies with the Biafran armies. I walked toward a soldier who looked very much like a commander and I saluted,
“How is it here?” I asked, it has been a real combat for a week now the Biafran refuse to relent or retreat they keep bring more men every time” he said, colonel Matins who was standing behind the commander picked up his bag, he was about to report to the base when I walked away toward a vehicle which soldiers were jumping into preparing to leave the base.
Then I told major abbey who was driving our vehicle, to take us round the streets, he simply nodded and entered the car he started it immediately and gesture for the other soldier who came with us to jump in which they did and we moved immediately.
As we drove down to the village all we saw was dead soldiers, dead civilians and destroyed houses,
“This place stinks” said one of the soldiers, covering his nose, the others spited. I looked at them but didn’t say any word, and then I turned back to the streets still looking at the dead people.
“how unlucky they are” I said to myself, I saw innocent people who had starved, ran and later were brought down by bullets some of them had a very big head, big stomach, long and fat legs that looked like it was bigger or longer than their bodies.
As we moved around the streets we kept seen more dead people and the soldiers kept on spiting several times, until we got to a place where the soldiers who had left the base were, we came down and walked to them. The sound of the bullets were heavy, I stood a distance behind a soldier who was firing an artillery gun toward the direction the Biafran soldier were.
From where I stood I could see dead soldiers and right in my presence more soldiers were hit, we were about leaving when another vehicle came bring more armies.
CHAPTER THREE

After we got back to the base which was an old and half destroyed primary school, I went straightaway to colonel Matins to ask him what instruction was giving to us.
“We are to stay here until more soldiers are deployed to this place” he said
“We are probably staying here till this town his talking over” he said and walked into the bush.
“Follow me all of you” he said and the other soldiers began to walk behind him
“To where” I said
“as you can see this place his crowded no room for us, and we are to camp here” he said and began to trace his way into the bush as we cleared the place into the bush we saw some soldiers sitting around the place.
After walking some distance into the bush we saw an old and uncompleted building with even no roof.
“We can stay here for now” said colonel Matins and the others took off their bags and went inside the building. The building had only six standing pillars and the ground was cemented with concrete the other places were expose even as we sat on the floor we could see every were.
As I sat down I drew my bag close to me and took out my pocket watch and put it on my pocket then I took the picture of Julie and stared at it for a while smiling, when I raised my head I saw all of them staring at me
“What! What are you looking at” I asked a bit angry, and then I took my bag and went under a tree which was just right opposite the building.
like the lonely person I was, staying with people was one thing I never liked, anywhere I was I did all I could to be alone either to think about Julie or to regret what I did to my mom or better still to miss Paul.
As I sat down under the tree I stared at the picture for another moment before putting it on my breast pocket. I never wanted to forget it, many a time we often left our bags due to the pressure of our enemies. Especially when we have to retreat.
As I rested my back on the tree I quietly watched the seven other soldiers including colonel Matins and major abbey as they were discussing and laughing, though I could hear their voices clearly, I was not interested.

Re: The Pool Of Blood By Palmer Nuel by misreal(m): 9:38am On Oct 19, 2016
op continue with this story or forever remain silent.
Re: The Pool Of Blood By Palmer Nuel by Palmernuel(m): 9:39am On Oct 19, 2016
CHAPTER FOUR

As Night came gradually the sound of the crickets began to substitute the sounds of guns. Major Abbey and two other soldiers walked to me holding their torches the walked pass me.
“Where are you going to” I asked raising my head from my bag which had become my pillow.
“To see if we can get some woods” he said
“Alright let me come with you” I said searching my bag for my torch.
We came back later to the little camp and set the fire on the woods and the whole place became bright.
Colonel Matins brought his little radio and began to search for stations, most of the stations were all talking about the war, and there was one which cut my Attention, it was the voice of general Yakubu Gowon talking , but Colonel Matins tuned the station.
“Please let me listen to that” I pleaded looking at him, he ignored me and was still searching
“If you want to listen to news, go and get yours after all it’s not expensive” he said
“And this is mine and I decide what you listen and if you are not happy with it close your ears”
Then music blasted immediately from the radio he gave it the highest volume, trust Major Abbey he was already on his feet dancing using his gun as a guitar. That was what he would always do as long as the beats were danceable, before I knew it they all stood up and began to dance round the fire; I watched then for a while and rested my back on the tree after nodding to the beats for some time.
When it was morning a soldier walked to us and gave us bullet proofs, I put on mine and then my helmet then I picked up my gun. We ran back to the primary school and joined the vehicle that was leaving, down to the war front.
It was a successful fight we had by the time we returned to the base that evening though a lot of our armies where killed.

CHAPTER FIVE

One evening, I think that was the third day we were spending there, so as usual we were in the bush trying to get woods when we heard a strange sound.
“Who! Is there?” asked Major Abbey, he conked his gun the other two soldiers conked theirs also and we began to walk towards the sound with our torches.
“Don’t shoot” I shouted at one of the sergeant who was about to shoot then major abbey ran into the bush and pulled a young girl out he held her on her neck and hauled her back to the camp while the rest of us took the woods we went for and followed them.
Colonel Matins who was listening to his radio as usual stood up and took out his pistol and walked towards the girl who was kneeling down, major abbey was behind her while I stood beside her the other soldier then gathered around her.
“Sir we found her inside the bush” said Major Abbey to colonel Matins
“What is your name?” asked colonel Matins “Laura sir” she replied looking at the faces of the soldiers as she was quaking.
“Are you Igbo” asked colonel Matins
“Yes sir” she said still quivering
“Then I have to send you to hell” he said as he placed the gun at her forehead
“Don’t shoot her” I said and walked close
“They are the rebels, they are the cause of this war, and she is my enemy”
“no she is not, she is just an innocent civilian trying to survive, and it is our duty to protect the civilians” I said, this time the girl was already crying but another sergeant was telling her to shut up, but she was still crying holding her mouth with her two hands.
“We are to protect the country?” he said still holding the gun to the girl’s head and she was still crying
“Get away from her?” I said and pushed him away
“I am the country” I said pointing to myself “you are the country” I pointed at him
“We are the country” I gesture to demonstrate my point.
“Do you think this place would be called a country if there was no me no you no us, certainly it won’t, it will be called something else” I said and pulled the girl up and took her to the tree were I was staying.

CHAPTER SIX

Shortly the other soldiers set the fire on the woods and the whole place became bright again. As I watch the burning flame I wondered why colonel Matins wanted to kill the girl, I remember sometime back when we went to some eastern villages we rescued so many of them they were even shouting
“One Nigeria! One Nigeria!”
We guided them to a camp where they were safe. But colonel Matins reaction was like a mystery to me.
Colonel Matins put on his radio and their party began
“How long have you been hiding there” I asked her as I turn to face her
“this night, I left home two days ago trying to look for a place safe for me but the whole place is crowded with soldiers” I looked at her and then I asked “do you need water” she nodded like someone terrified.
I stood up and walked to where Major Abbey was lying down
“Let me have some water, please” I demanded and he stood up and drew his bag close and brought out a container. I took it from him and turn to leave.
“I hope you are not giving it to that girl?” he asked
“Shut up!” I said calmly and he began to laugh. I gave the water to her to drink as soon as I got there.
The burning fire in the middle of our little camp began to attract the attention of the other soldiers distance away, many a time they stared to our direction.
Later I began to observe the movement of the commander.
“go that way” I said to her pointing to a direction inside the bush “hide there and don’t make any noise” she ran immediately, just then the commander began to walked towards our little camp, I took a deep breath as he walked to me, he waved at the other soldiers who were sitting round the fire, then he sat close to me. It was not a surprise though because I was a bit familiar to him than the other soldiers.
“It was a successful fight we had today sir!” he said I was surprised at him calling me sir then I looked at his shirt lt-colonel Albert was printed on it. Then I was relief because I was the senior officer. I thought he would have reacted if he saw Laura, I never knew I was the seniors officers. It was then I knew I and colonel Matins was the most senior officer in the base.
“I guess it’s over” I said
“I don’t think so sir” he said “it has always been like this, when we thought it was over the next morning while parading the town we see them coming again with vehicle filled with soldier” he said
“Are we expecting the same thing tomorrow?” I asked
“of course, but we are going to win, we are going to take over this town, some soldiers arrived today they came with some artillery guns and bazookas” he said and we kept quiet, all this time my eyes were traveling to the bush Laura ran into
“Do you think this war we continue for a long time?” I asked to keep the conversation going
“I think so, the Biafrans are resilient people, and they mean what they want” he said
“Well I just pray it end soon, because I am tired of seeing the blood of those civilians” I said and silent fell on us for a while before he stood up
“let me allow you have some rest sir” he said and saluted, I only took my hands to my head and brought it back then I watched him as he turned and left the place. By the time I looked at the place the other soldiers; they were all at sleep holding their guns next to them.
As soon as he left the place Laura ran out again and sat close to me under the tree, she was looking around especially were colonel Matins and the other soldiers were lying.
“The very first day the war came to this place my anti’s husband took her and the children and ran away and told me to find my way home” she said smiling a little
“You are not from here, is that what you mean?” I asked
“Yes, I am from Enugu, It was when I was tracing my way trying to avoid the soldiers on the way that I came here” she said this time her usual face was on the display, the face of a crying child.
Re: The Pool Of Blood By Palmer Nuel by Palmernuel(m): 9:42am On Oct 19, 2016
CHAPTER SEVEN

When I woke up later that night I found her awake staring at the whole place.
“Why are you not sleeping” I asked, she was still looking at the sleeping soldiers, I turned to look at them they were still fast asleep.
“They are not going to hurt you, I am here, I will protect you” I said still looking sleepy
“What is the time?” I said trying to bring out my pocket watch, when it finally came out from my pocket I checked it and it was just passed three.
“The time is after three, you have to sleep” I said, and then she looked at my watch,
“Oh! This is beautiful” she said stretching her hands to take it from me, I handed it to her wiping my face.
“My father gave that to me when I was nine years old” I said after a long yawning.
“Can I have it? I like it, you can hardly see this anywhere” she said laughing, I began to scratch my head unnecessarily.
“Yes, only those who lived in the ninth century may have something like this” I said
“Why is the glass cracked?” she asked
“It was an accident”
“Can I have it, please” she pleaded, I was a bit confuse not knowing what to do at that point, I took a deep breath I was about to say something when she brought out a pure golden necklace
“This was giving to me by my mom” she said holding the locket while the necklace was still on her neck.
“Can I have that, please” I pleaded trying to test her. To my very surprise she was taking it off her neck.
“Ok! Don’t take it off you can do that tomorrow, just have some sleep” I said taking the pocket watch from her.
“I can’t sleep she said” looking at the sleeping soldiers, once more I looked at them and turn to her
“Ok! You lie down why I stay awake and watch over you” I said and stood up carrying my gun
“Ok! Alright” she said hiding the necklace on her shirt, and then she lay down staring at me
“I promise to watch you” I said and she lay down her eyes was still open until she finally dose off.

CHAPTER EIGHT
The next morning we got dressed as usual, I told Laura to stay in the building, but I made such the other soldier were out before I told her to go there.
“will we be back by evening, you can move around but don’t go far” I said comfortably since I was the senior office there, the others soldiers were bound to obey my others except for Colonel Matins, but she folded herself close to a pillar I knew she would not even dare go out.
I joined the other soldier at the base and we entered the vehicles. This time we drove round the town but there was no single Biafran army expect the one lying dead on the ground stinking, we checked all the bothers and then returned back at noon.
As I jumped down from the vehicle and walked straightaway to lieutenant-colonel Albert who was standing some distance away, he saluted me as soon as I walked close to him, then we both walked to the school were the other soldiers were.
“This is Colonel Philip” and they all saluted immediately, the other soldiers hanging around walked closer.
“now listen, for what we just saw right now, it seems this town is already talking over, some of our soldiers are all over the bothers watching, despite this fact we are not leaving until we are fully convinced, tomorrow is another day we will match pass the town, is that ok!” I said at the top of my voice and I jabbed hands with lieutenant-colonel Albert then I remembered Laura
“Excuse me” I said and began to walk fast then I heard a shout I turn back to see the soldier rejoicing raising their guns up.

CHAPTER NINE
When I got to the camp I met them beating her and marching her to the ground and she was crying very hard.
“Stop! Stop!” I was shouting as I ran to where she was, I pushed the soldiers away and angry punched one of the sergeant, I assisted Laura up and took her back to the tree
“Are you hurt” I asked, but she was still crying and she could not say anything.
“They are going to kill me” she said still crying as soon as we got to the tree.
“No! They wouldn’t, I am here they can’t” I said then she folded herself resting on the tree
“Your mouth is bleeding” I said and with the back of her hand she wiped it off but it was still bleeding, then I opened my bag and brought out a clean rag and gave it to her.
Later I saw Major Abbey coming from the bush this time his empty can of water was now filled
“He threw it to me as he walked close, I opened it at once and began to drink then I passed it to Laura who slowly took it from me and began to drink too.
“How is she filling” he asked putting his two hands on his pocket.
“She is fine” I said
“I saw colonel Matins beating her” he said and I was startled a bit hearing that
“And what did you do?” I asked “Nothing, he ordered me out” he said and left us.
“Don’t worry, I will get you out safe, ok!” I said and she nodded.
Later that night I stood up to go and get woods and she came to me
“Please don’t leave me here alone” she said almost crying.
“ok then follow me to fetch woods” I said and went to my bag and pulled out another torch light and gave it to her, for the first time I notice she was not wearing anything on her feats
“Where are your shoes?” I asked, and then Major Abbey walked to us holding his torch
“I lost them” she said “to get woods?” asked Major Abbey as he got to us
“Yes!” I said and we all walked down into the bush for woods
“Be careful so you don’t step on something harmful” I said as we pushed our way into the bush.
Re: The Pool Of Blood By Palmer Nuel by Palmernuel(m): 9:49am On Oct 19, 2016
CHAPTER TEN
When I woke the following morning, I saw captain abbey walking down the bush
“Hey!” I screamed.
“Where are you heading for” he turned back and looked at me
“There is a river down there I just want to take a cool bath” he said and began to walk again then I stood up at once and followed him.
“How is she?” he asked.
“Asleep, we will be back before she gets up” I said as I followed behind him
“Do you think so?” he said turning to me “we still have a long way to go, follow me!” he said and took another narrow path and I followed him at once.
“How did you manage to know that there is a river down here” I said as we kept on moving “I saw it some days ago trying to hunt” he said.
Soon from the distance I saw water and some soldiers were sitting around the place some were washing their bodies while others sat at different Conner discussing with their short on
“You mean you come here to take your bath, don’t minding the Biafran armies raiding this place” I said still very surprise.
“Come on! This place is already our territory, we have talking over” he said pulling his shirt. I looked around once more before talking my boots off,
“By the way, is this what you called a river” I said as soon as I took off my boots
“ What… yes this is a river” he said, and then I sat on the bare ground and took of my shirt
“This is just a stream ok!”
“As long as we get water, come to think of it why can’t they be called a river is it because of their sizes” he said taking his trousers off remaining his shorts.
“I don’t know, maybe it is because of their features” I said taking of my trousers then he walked to a nearby grass and dropped his clothes there and picked his water can.
“So what are their features, we have oceans, rivers, lakes and so on” he said as he entered the stream.
“I don’t know, maybe you should asked a school teacher” I said going to keep my clothes as I walk down to the river I saw Major abbey already far inside filling the can as soon as he finished filling the can he turned to me and threw it to me I caught it and threw it to were our clothes were and entered the stream and began to take my bath I was a bit uncomfortable because my short was wet.
After bathing we came out and sat on the grass where we kept our clothes, as we put on our clothes we kept on discussing
“What about the other soldiers, have they been here?” I asked lacing my boots
“They have been here” we talked for another moment before I stood up to go, he stood up too and took his can and we began to discuss as we walked back to the camp.
“What! What is it?” I asked him after noticing he was smiling.
“I just remembered a very big boy we had in class those days one day the English teacher asked him “a person who waste his money on luxury, is what?” the teacher asked the boy, he stood up and said “rich!” the teacher nodded his head “can someone else tell me?” she asked and a boy stood up and said “extravagant” the teacher turned to the boy.
“Madam, I think we don’t have to call them names just because they waste their money on luxury, they are simply just rich” he said and sat down and his colleagues began to laugh
“Those were the days when we went to school just because some idiot at the back sits were just going to make us laugh” he said and we kept on moving.
“this same boy once agued with the teacher that the Eiffel tower was in American and the teacher said it was in France, but the boy insisted, he said he didn’t see it when he went to France, and the whole class began to laugh because they knew he has never left the country, and it was fun those days, their aim was to make everyone laugh” he said,
“We all have something to smile about, laugh about, be happy about, and most time to cry about if only we can sit down and think” I said and then I heard the screaming voice of Laura “that is Laura” I said
“Run!” I said and we broke into a run immediately toward the camp.

CHAPTER ELEVEN
As we got close to the camp from the distance I saw Colonel Matins raping and beating Laura I stopped at once and pointed to the direction.
“Did you see that” I said almost crying “oh! God” I screamed then we began to run as fast as we can. Just as we were still running I saw the soldiers taking turns as they had sex with her the other soldiers were cheering and another sergeant was pouring water on her laughing.
It was Colonel Matins turn again when I got to the tree I picked up my gun and fired towards them but I didn’t hit anyone they quickly drew up their trousers, then I dropped the gun down and walked very fast to the building when I got there I held Colonel Matins and hit his head on the wall.
“how dare you do that to her” I said and punched him very hard then he pushed me away and brought out his pistol which was hung on a belt tied round his waist, he pointed it at me and I looked around me and saw the other soldiers hiding themselves they were looking worried and scared.
“Have you forgetting I am in charge here” he said patting his nose to see if it was bleeding.
There was no gun with me so I kept quiet.
“The next time you try this again I will blow your head off, I promise” he said I looked at him and turn to Laura who was shivering half naked, her forehead was bleeding and her lips two. I helped her up.
“Then we die here” I said still helping Laura up from the ground I supported her as we walked down to the tree her gown was half torn.
“Don’t worry you will get a better clothes as soon as we leave this place” I said helping her to sit by the tree.
Later Major Abbey walked down to us and rested his back on the tree
“Do you really want to help her?” he asked
“Of course, definitely colonel Matins wants to kill her, i don’t just know why” I said
“Then let her go” he said
“no please don’t let me go” pleaded Laura.
“She can’t go like that without her been guarded out she won’t be safe” I said then I saw Colonel Matins coming.
“Major Abbey” he called “go and get our vehicle we are leaving very soon”
“Yes sir” and then he walked toward the path leading to the main base.
Colonel matins observed me for a while and later wore is usual mocking smile before turning back to the building. As soon as colonel Matins and the other soldiers were not watching I stood up I pulled Laura up.
“Let’s get out of here”
We sneaked into the bush at once and began to trace our way.
My intension was to take her to a safe camp were other civilians were, even if I had to return to Bendel alone without the other soldiers.
Re: The Pool Of Blood By Palmer Nuel by Palmernuel(m): 9:57am On Oct 19, 2016
CHAPTER TWELVE
All of a sudden our way was blocked by a group of soldiers
“Hey! Where do you think you are going to” said colonel Matins grinning “trying to take her away” he smiled and drag her from me and push her to the ground, and then pulled out his pistol and placed it on Laura’s head then I pull my pistol and placed it on his head
“What do you think you are doing?” he asked adjusting his head to face me
“Just what you are about to do to her” I said with a serious voice, the voice of one who was ready to die.
Then we saw Major Abbey running to us.
“Where have you guys been, I have been searching for you all over, the base is empty the soldiers are all gone and we are here, we need to leave immediately” he said painting
“Wait a minute!” He said looking at every one “what’s going on?” he asked as if he was not seen us.
“Oh! My Goodness, sirs I think you have to stop this madness” he said angrily
“We should leave here right now”
“Not until we get rid of this” said Colonel Matins still pressing the gun to her head and my was still on his. He looked at me and blinked his left eye and nodded side way giving a sign to the other sergeant, immediately the sergeant pointed their guns at me I looked at them and kept quite I knew they were obeying orders so I took the gun off Colonel Matins’ head and shifted backward but I was still pointing it at him, I took a deep breath and I was almost giving up when Major abbey drew out his pistol and placed it on the neck of Colonel Matins.
“Bring down your guns?” I said and the other soldier brought their guns down
“What are you doing, pointing a gun at me?” said Colonel Matins to Major Abbey
“Of course! This is war and anybody can die, now give me the gun” he said and twisted Colonel Matins right hand backward he screamed as his hand was twisted and then major abbey collected the gun from him and hung it on his belt.
“What is the meaning of all this?” he said angrily “just because of this” he kicked Laura with his boot and she fell holding her mouth with her two hands not to cry out but the tears coming down her eyes was like a fountain.

CHAPTER THIRTEEN
Just then we heard the sound of a truck and the voices of people screaming and shouting immediately we ran to the direction and saw a hill, we climbed and looked down and we saw a very big vehicle. What I saw was amazing to me I saw young boys jumping out of the vehicle collecting guns from an army officer who was standing beside the vehicle. From the way they looked I knew they were probably picked from the streets, and the part that amazed me most was that they were happy, but I wondered, I really wondered why such untrained people were sent to the war-front, to me it was another way of man’s destruction. It was the same people who were easily hit back in the field they did not even know how to take covers. It was like they were sent there to be killed rather than to defend.
We were still lying down on the hill watching them when we saw a man in their mist pointing toward our direction.
“My God!” I said with a voice that sounded like a whisper “they are heading towards us”
“That is the girl?” said Colonel Matins pointing to a distance behind us then we all turned back and I saw Laura trying to run but she was weak and was staggering.
“Shoot her!” screamed Colonel Matins the other soldiers looked at her still walking slowly on the open field.
“Don’t let he go, I said shoot her” he screamed at the top of his voice
“Please don’t shoot, please” I pleaded, the other soldiers were confuse not knowing who to obey.
“Shoot her!” he said again at the top of his voice the soldiers pointed their guns at her as she was still staggering along the field.
“please don’t shoot her” I pleaded almost crying, then Colonel Matins punched one of the soldiers close to him and collected his gun and wasted Laura, that minute I fell on the ground to cry because I felt really sad that I could not save her.
The next thing I head was Colonel Matins shouting “retreat! Retreat!” the sound of the gun had alerted the Biafran soldiers and they began to climb up the heal towards us, we were just eight and we could not fight over sixty Biafran soldiers, even while the rest were running towards where our vehicle was packed I was still lying down crying, not minding the bullet that was flying towards me.

CHAPTER FOURTEEN
I was still crying hitting the ground when a bullet landed close to me, it was then I knew they were close to me, I stood up and began to run as fast as could, and then the sound of their guns increased they were now firing at me.
Colonel Matins and the men were already in the vehicle and he was shouting at Major Abbey to move the car but he refused and shouted at the other soldiers to back me up and they opened fired at the Biafrans, I don’t know what happened but the bullet went down it was like if they took cover.
I stopped when I got to where Laura was lying on her own pool of blood.
“Forgive me!” I said and was shut on the leg, I fell down close to her and looked at her lifeless body and cried again then I cut the chain on her neck.
“Let me keep this” I said as if she could hear me. Then I began to hear the sound of guns again then I looked back and saw the Biafran soldiers running out of their covers firing at me. “Can we go now, he his hit” said Colonel Matins, the car began to move slowly, I knew If they had left me I would be a dead man.
Then I heard the voice of my father very loud on my head, it was the voice of him when he told me a good fighter fight till his last breath. And I was not dead yet, I would rather die fighting than to allow them get me and kill me. I stood up and with my gun and began to fire at the soldier who were already close, most of them took covers some fell on the ground as a way of taking cover but I hit about four or so, then I turned back and saw the vehicle stopping I smiled then I was shut again on my leg this time I began to limp towards the vehicle.
“Move this car, are you mad!” screamed Colonel Matins.
“come on Philip” said Major abbey then he jumped out from the wheel with his gun an began to cover me up as I jumped into the back of the vehicle then he jump into the wheel again and moved the car I and the other soldiers at the back of the vehicle began to fire at the Biafran soldiers until we were out of their sight. I fell on the vehicle and took a deep breath of relief.
Then one of the soldiers drew his bag close to me and brought a scissors and a band and began to work on my leg trying to get the bullet out. I was screaming so loud and the other soldiers were holding me. I fell asleep by the time the bullets were out of my leg.
Re: The Pool Of Blood By Palmer Nuel by Palmernuel(m): 10:02am On Oct 19, 2016
CHAPTER FIFTEEN
I woke up just when we drove into the base, as I opened my eyes I saw the soldiers at the base rolling a stretcher towards the vehicle they helped me lay on it and rolled it away.
Major Abbey ran to me as I was been rolled along the corridor
“Are you okay! Sir” he said jugging slowly along the stretcher.
“I am ok, I am fine thank you very much” I said and smiled he smiled back at me as I was been rolled into a room, I saw other soldiers who were injured lying on different bed in the hall there was one which shocked me more, almost every part of his body Was banded.
Later Major Abbey came to me and gave me the golden necklace.
“How are you felling now?” he asked.
“I am doing fine” I said looking at the necklace.
“Thank you, were did you fine it” I asked putting it on one of my pockets.
“In the vehicle” he said and sat on the bed.
“You know, you remind me of a friend I once had who cares so much about me. Paul! That was his name” I said.
“Who is Paul?” he asked.
“Come on, you don’t know him, he was my bosom friend back in the days when we were in school” I said, and we kept on talking until he stood up to go
“I will see you tomorrow” he said and walked out of the hall.
I spent three months in that hall before I was fully recovered, yes! I recovered from the injury on my leg, but I never recovered from the injury on my heart, For many years, I never thought of anything else except Laura, most times I cried when I thought about her, sometimes the doctor would asked me what was going on, all I could say was nothing, but I kept on crying because of her horrible death most times I saw her face as she was crying when she was been raped and beating and when she was been wasted and when I saw her lying on her pool of blood with bullet all over her body and I am ready to carry her memories to my grave because it was the only mission I failed.

THE END

i hope you guys enjoyed the story thanks for taking your time to read this and get ready for more.
you can as well follow me on my facebook page @ www.facebook.com/palmernuel

I have recently published a book at okadabooks. If you enjoyed this one you can check it out at https://www.okadabooks.com/book/about/ghost/12581
Re: The Pool Of Blood By Palmer Nuel by misreal(m): 11:04am On Oct 19, 2016
brings out my bazooka op!op!op!.how many times I call you??

(1) (Reply)

INTERESTING: Diary Of A Lover Boy / To Princely, With Love [ Tales From Treeland] / Ways You Can Show Mum You Care

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 95
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.