Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,152,918 members, 7,817,691 topics. Date: Saturday, 04 May 2024 at 05:24 PM

Oba Of Benin, Ewuare, Punishes Family For Organising Burial Despite Ban - Culture - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Culture / Oba Of Benin, Ewuare, Punishes Family For Organising Burial Despite Ban (74895 Views)

Oba Of Benin, Ewuare And His 4 Wives Pictured During Ugie Ododua Ceremony / Oba Of Benin, Ewuare 5 Wives At His 2nd Coronation Anniversary / 'Ososomaye' Juju Used By The Oba Of Benin, Ewuare, To Revoke Curses (Photos (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (Reply) (Go Down)

Oba Of Benin, Ewuare, Punishes Family For Organising Burial Despite Ban by jchima14: 5:16pm On Oct 24, 2016

Family incurs Oba’s wrath by organizing burial ceremony

For organizing the burial ceremony of their father, the family of Uhumwangho from Isi village in Uhunmwode local government area of Edo State has incurred the wrath of the new Oba of Benin, Oba Ewuare 11.

Before the coronation ceremonies of the new Oba, the palace had placed a ban on burial activities in the Benin kingdom till further notice.

It was gathered at the weekend that all was set for the burial ceremonies at Iguodala Primary school in Benin City when chiefs from the Oba’s palace stormed the area and tied ‘Umehe’ leaves on the food, drinks and canopies.

The ‘Umenhe’ leaves, Daily Trust learnt, is a message of no trespass from the Oba.

Some of the family members were arrested and taken to the palace while the musician hired to provide entertainment was also dragged to the palace.

A palace source told our reporter that the family was asked to buy some sacrificial items to cleanse the land.

Our reporter who visited the venue of the burial ceremonies, observed that food and drinks were on the table which the family members said nobody would touch because of the sacred leaves tied to them.

One of the arrested family members Josephine Ehimwenma said they were told by some chiefs at the palace to go on with the burial arrangements since the actual coronation had been done, but a member of the Iwebo Palace society, Chief Sunday Okhiokpamwonyi, said the family would pay some fine and postpone the burial.

http://www.dailytrust.com.ng/news/general/family-incurs-oba-s-wrath-by-organizing-burial-ceremony/168283.html#bHGPFBs0SXYgScjJ.99

5 Likes 2 Shares

Re: Oba Of Benin, Ewuare, Punishes Family For Organising Burial Despite Ban by richidinho(m): 5:18pm On Oct 24, 2016
A palace source said the family was asked to buy some sacrificial items to cleanse the land. It was gathered that food and drinks were on the table which the family members said nobody would touch because of the sacred leaves tied to them.

Africa i hail una!

184 Likes 11 Shares

Re: Oba Of Benin, Ewuare, Punishes Family For Organising Burial Despite Ban by HtwoOw: 5:31pm On Oct 24, 2016
Dem fear leaves

Guess recession no reach their belle grin

25 Likes

Re: Oba Of Benin, Ewuare, Punishes Family For Organising Burial Despite Ban by mrvitalis(m): 5:46pm On Oct 24, 2016
Is the oba mad The family are Nigerians they can decide to recognise the oba or not... Sue the fucking oba n his palace people what nonsense
The Nigerian constitution remain supreme and oba has no authority, i repet no authority over anybody... He is a ceremonial king that's all

313 Likes 17 Shares

Re: Oba Of Benin, Ewuare, Punishes Family For Organising Burial Despite Ban by forgiveness: 5:49pm On Oct 24, 2016
grin

4 Likes 2 Shares

Re: Oba Of Benin, Ewuare, Punishes Family For Organising Burial Despite Ban by Vilshow(m): 5:58pm On Oct 24, 2016
Weting I go type sef...

7 Likes

Re: Oba Of Benin, Ewuare, Punishes Family For Organising Burial Despite Ban by sammyj: 6:00pm On Oct 24, 2016
grin shocked grin grin grin grin grin

1 Like

Re: Oba Of Benin, Ewuare, Punishes Family For Organising Burial Despite Ban by juman(m): 6:09pm On Oct 24, 2016
Their custom.

But with time it would go away.

1 Like

Re: Oba Of Benin, Ewuare, Punishes Family For Organising Burial Despite Ban by CACAWA(m): 6:13pm On Oct 24, 2016
This is funny and sad.
The same Oba that went to church yesterday? Choose your God and stop being cynical.

So what if a Muslim dies in Benîn?
Would they also delay the burial?

168 Likes 9 Shares

Re: Oba Of Benin, Ewuare, Punishes Family For Organising Burial Despite Ban by muykem: 6:21pm On Oct 24, 2016
Assuming this happened in the north. What will be reaction of majority of people here?

20 Likes 3 Shares

Re: Oba Of Benin, Ewuare, Punishes Family For Organising Burial Despite Ban by CHIJIOKE1314: 6:40pm On Oct 24, 2016
mrvitalis:
Is the oba mad The family are Nigerians they can decide to recognise the oba or not... Sue the fucking oba n his palace people what nonsense
The Nigerian constitution remain supreme and oba has no authority, i repet no authority over anybody... He is a ceremonial king that's all

Oga easy,

I am not trying to defend the OBA but it must be clear that Nigeria kings also possess some powers that guide their authority as customary leaders..

You also need to understand that, if the family must sue him, it has to be through the customary court and you can imagine the outcome..

His decree are coded and recognized by Nigeria constitution through the provisions of the customary laws..

51 Likes 2 Shares

Re: Oba Of Benin, Ewuare, Punishes Family For Organising Burial Despite Ban by CHIJIOKE1314: 6:47pm On Oct 24, 2016
CACAWA:
This is funny and sad.
The same Oba that went to church yesterday? Choose your God and stop being cynical.

So what if a Muslim dies in Benîn?
Would they also delay the burial?

No one said you could not open the ground throw the dead in and close it then go your way.. Don't compare it with the north as their decisions are guided by their terrian..
Ask yourself, how has the northern kings been having their ways all this while.. They also makes decisions that might look awkward in the east or west.. The same goes to every region and kingdom..

If it was a Muslim that died, they may throw him into the ground, but would never let anyone outside know or organize any form of gathering or mourning for him/her in Benin..

13 Likes

Re: Oba Of Benin, Ewuare, Punishes Family For Organising Burial Despite Ban by seunmsg(m): 6:55pm On Oct 24, 2016
mrvitalis:

Learn to respect other people's culture. The people in question value their culture and have accepted the fine imposed, they don't need your lecture on the supremacy of the constitution.

64 Likes 3 Shares

Re: Oba Of Benin, Ewuare, Punishes Family For Organising Burial Despite Ban by mrvitalis(m): 6:59pm On Oct 24, 2016
seunmsg:

Learn to respect other people's culture. The people in question value their culture and have accepted the fine imposed, they don't need your lecture on the supremacy of the constitution.
Are u high?? When did the constitution give palace guides power to arrest??

Who told u obas words are law??

39 Likes 1 Share

Re: Oba Of Benin, Ewuare, Punishes Family For Organising Burial Despite Ban by mrvitalis(m): 7:02pm On Oct 24, 2016
CHIJIOKE1314:

Oga easy,

I am not trying to defend the OBA but it must be clear that Nigeria kings also possess some powers that guide their authority as customary leaders..

You also need to understand that, if the family must sue him, it has to be through the customary court and you can imagine the outcome..

His decree are coded and recognized by Nigeria constitution through the provisions of the customary laws..

The only case i see here is trespass and kidnapping and that's not a case u take to customary court.

What if there faiths bans them from obeying the oba

This is why i say we should ban this traditional rulers and channel the money to education

23 Likes 1 Share

Re: Oba Of Benin, Ewuare, Punishes Family For Organising Burial Despite Ban by seunny4lif(m): 7:02pm On Oct 24, 2016
grin grin grin
Jesu

1 Like

Re: Oba Of Benin, Ewuare, Punishes Family For Organising Burial Despite Ban by Nobody: 7:04pm On Oct 24, 2016
But where is lalasticlala now... Dem say Oba don vex oh...

This mean that anyone from another part of the country can not live in this kingdom without reading their Obas' handbook containing rules and regulations.

4 Likes

Re: Oba Of Benin, Ewuare, Punishes Family For Organising Burial Despite Ban by seunmsg(m): 7:12pm On Oct 24, 2016
mrvitalis:

Are u high?? When did the constitution give palace guides power to arrest??

Who told u obas words are law??

Kid, you don't know what you are talking about and I won't waste my time arguing with you.

23 Likes

Re: Oba Of Benin, Ewuare, Punishes Family For Organising Burial Despite Ban by mrvitalis(m): 7:14pm On Oct 24, 2016
seunmsg:

Kid, you don't know what you are talking about and I won't waste my time arguing with you.
The kings and what ever are common citizens with no extra power. .. they are as powerful as pastors as powerful as a truck pusher so says the constitution... They have no constitutional power and thats it

6 Likes

Re: Oba Of Benin, Ewuare, Punishes Family For Organising Burial Despite Ban by Mujaheeeden: 7:14pm On Oct 24, 2016
mrvitalis:
@23yrs old tou claim to be i think you are a disgrace to all 23 year old in the whole wide world

19 Likes

Re: Oba Of Benin, Ewuare, Punishes Family For Organising Burial Despite Ban by CHIJIOKE1314: 7:14pm On Oct 24, 2016
mrvitalis:

The only case i see here is trespass and kidnapping and that's not a case u take to customary court.

What if there faiths bans them from obeying the oba

This is why i say we should ban this traditional rulers and channel the money to education

You are right.. But the case of Nigeria can't be compared with anywhere else..

I don't even think the family ll have that financial backbone to go into largely battling with the OBA..

If it would have been a rich family you may hear something like, 'we are negotiating'.. .its unfortunate though..

2 Likes

Re: Oba Of Benin, Ewuare, Punishes Family For Organising Burial Despite Ban by mrvitalis(m): 7:19pm On Oct 24, 2016
Mujaheeeden:
@23yrs old tou claim to be i think you are a disgrace to all 23 year old in the whole wide world

If u have a problem with me just say it.. .

The king in my place (tho my Uncle) wont dare such to me. .. is he mad??

10 Likes

Re: Oba Of Benin, Ewuare, Punishes Family For Organising Burial Despite Ban by Mujaheeeden: 7:22pm On Oct 24, 2016
mrvitalis:

If u have a problem with me just say it.. .

The king in my place (tho my Uncle) wont dare such to me. .. is he mad??
Your uncle knows the mad men in his domain so why should he waste his time on one

24 Likes

Re: Oba Of Benin, Ewuare, Punishes Family For Organising Burial Despite Ban by Cutehector(m): 7:26pm On Oct 24, 2016
Who arrested them?

Is it the Nigerian Police? grin

1 Like

Re: Oba Of Benin, Ewuare, Punishes Family For Organising Burial Despite Ban by mrvitalis(m): 7:27pm On Oct 24, 2016
Mujaheeeden:
Your uncle knows the mad men in his domain so why should he waste his time on one
Lol.. No need wasting time on u... u just abuse people without offering logical argument to back ur claim
go n sleep

25 Likes 1 Share

Re: Oba Of Benin, Ewuare, Punishes Family For Organising Burial Despite Ban by RentALodge: 8:09pm On Oct 24, 2016
As long as he is recognized by the law and government and those in his domain had agreed to abide by what he says, he seems justified in his actions. But we have to ask ourselves why the need for this constant confusion. We are not under monarchy. Kingship, as we have it today in Nigeria, is simply ceremonial.

**If you are a student and you would like to work for RentALodge as a RentALodge contact in your school, see the signature for address. We are recruiting for all schools in Nigeria.**

1 Like

Re: Oba Of Benin, Ewuare, Punishes Family For Organising Burial Despite Ban by shammah1(m): 8:10pm On Oct 24, 2016
Nawa o shocked
Re: Oba Of Benin, Ewuare, Punishes Family For Organising Burial Despite Ban by kings09(m): 8:11pm On Oct 24, 2016
OK
Re: Oba Of Benin, Ewuare, Punishes Family For Organising Burial Despite Ban by omanifrank(m): 8:12pm On Oct 24, 2016
ok na
Re: Oba Of Benin, Ewuare, Punishes Family For Organising Burial Despite Ban by Neimar: 8:14pm On Oct 24, 2016
ordinary juju priest
Re: Oba Of Benin, Ewuare, Punishes Family For Organising Burial Despite Ban by dayleke: 8:15pm On Oct 24, 2016
Lol....
Customs sha.....
Abi o....

1 Like 1 Share

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (Reply)

Rasheed Adewale-Akanbi Wearing Suit On Throne - Pic / Pre-independence Yoruba Women / King Jaja Of Opobo And Wives In The 1870s [ Location: Rivers State ]

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 40
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.