Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,151,363 members, 7,812,038 topics. Date: Monday, 29 April 2024 at 06:56 AM

Please Help Tokumbo Car Smells On Acceleration - Car Talk - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Car Talk / Please Help Tokumbo Car Smells On Acceleration (2118 Views)

6 Reasons Why Your Car Smells / Rattling Sound On Acceleration / Cheapest Way To Buy A Direct Tokumbo Car In Lagos (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

Please Help Tokumbo Car Smells On Acceleration by HumphreyBold(m): 6:58pm On Oct 28, 2016
Please nairaland , I just bought and 09 camry xle v6 , each time I accelerate hard it gives a bad smell , like rotten egg.
I really don't know what it is , I need and advice .thank you
Re: Please Help Tokumbo Car Smells On Acceleration by nonso84(m): 8:03pm On Oct 28, 2016
Your catalyst is dead. Take the car to a panel beater.
Re: Please Help Tokumbo Car Smells On Acceleration by Coolgent(m): 8:39pm On Oct 28, 2016
HumphreyBold:
Please nairaland , I just bought and 09 camry xle v6 , each time I accelerate hard it gives a bad smell , like rotten egg.
Is check engine light on?
If yes then scanning wil b good idea cos it may be o2 sensor or catalytic conveter.
Re: Please Help Tokumbo Car Smells On Acceleration by mayor2013: 9:45pm On Oct 28, 2016
HumphreyBold:

Your catalytic converter is as good as dead. Nevertheless run a scan to confirm. If you are in lagos visit multi autolab to fix the problem. Problem could choke engine and cause a lock. 08165520837 or 08156087872
Re: Please Help Tokumbo Car Smells On Acceleration by GAZZUZZ(m): 9:52pm On Oct 28, 2016
HumphreyBold:

There's nothing wrong with your vehicle. Your catalysts are doing what they were designed to do.

3 Likes

Re: Please Help Tokumbo Car Smells On Acceleration by diportivo: 10:42pm On Oct 28, 2016
nonso84:

undecided
Re: Please Help Tokumbo Car Smells On Acceleration by HumphreyBold(m): 10:45pm On Oct 28, 2016
Am in warri where can I scan or fix the issue , becaue am always using a.c and I drive far distance, thanks to all of you for a good reply.
Re: Please Help Tokumbo Car Smells On Acceleration by ZIMDRILL(m): 4:47am On Oct 29, 2016
nonso84:

what has a panel beater got to do with a catalyst ?
Re: Please Help Tokumbo Car Smells On Acceleration by GAZZUZZ(m): 5:20am On Oct 29, 2016
NSWER
possible causes of a sulfurous smell are a broken fuel pressure regulator and an engine that is running at too high of a temperature . If the fuel pressure regulator is the problem, it can easily be fixed with the installation of a new fuel filter.
If the smell is due to a problem with the car's converter, the converter itself cannot be repaired and has to be replaced.

https://www.reference.com/vehicles/car-exhaust-smell-like-sulfur-de23b66568600205
Re: Please Help Tokumbo Car Smells On Acceleration by HumphreyBold(m): 8:56am On Oct 29, 2016
mayor2013:

Your catalytic converter is as good as dead. Nevertheless run a scan to confirm. If you are in lagos visit multi autolab to fix the problem. Problem could choke engine and cause a lock. 08165520837 or 08156087872

Went to an auto shop they said that's what it's meant to do , that it's a tokumbo motor that I shouldn't tamper it
Re: Please Help Tokumbo Car Smells On Acceleration by mayor2013: 9:50am On Oct 29, 2016
HumphreyBold:

Went to an auto shop they said that's what it's meant to do , that it's a tokumbo motor that I shouldn't tamper it

Is your check light on?
Re: Please Help Tokumbo Car Smells On Acceleration by HumphreyBold(m): 9:52am On Oct 29, 2016
mayor2013:

Is your check light on?

No
Re: Please Help Tokumbo Car Smells On Acceleration by mayor2013: 10:00am On Oct 29, 2016
HumphreyBold:

No

Nevertheless run a a scan
Re: Please Help Tokumbo Car Smells On Acceleration by HumphreyBold(m): 12:07pm On Oct 29, 2016
mayor2013:

Nevertheless run a a scan

Ok
Re: Please Help Tokumbo Car Smells On Acceleration by obitryce(m): 1:42pm On Oct 29, 2016
call this number TODAY 08038757343 for a free scan if u are in warri and around PTI!
Re: Please Help Tokumbo Car Smells On Acceleration by HumphreyBold(m): 8:17pm On Oct 29, 2016
obitryce:
call this number TODAY 08038757343 for a free scan if u are in warri and around PTI!

Thank you
Re: Please Help Tokumbo Car Smells On Acceleration by cardoctor(m): 6:57am On Oct 31, 2016
Every modern car fitted with a cat does it especially on harsh acceleration but when the smell is really bad that means the cats are old or damaged and may need replacement.
Re: Please Help Tokumbo Car Smells On Acceleration by banky3w(m): 4:00pm On Oct 31, 2016
Guy please don't listen to anybody except Gazzuzz....... Your car is in fine condition and the cat is doing exactly what it is designed to do. Thank me later.
Re: Please Help Tokumbo Car Smells On Acceleration by HumphreyBold(m): 5:23pm On Oct 31, 2016
cardoctor:
Every modern car fitted with a cat does it especially on harsh acceleration but when the smell is really bad that means the cats are old or damaged and may need replacement.

the smell is bad kindly drop your number please
Re: Please Help Tokumbo Car Smells On Acceleration by HumphreyBold(m): 5:24pm On Oct 31, 2016
banky3w:
Guy please don't listen to anybody except Gazzuzz....... Your car is in fine condition and the cat is doing exactly what it is designed to do. Thank me later.

you mean i should keep perceiving the smell ?
Re: Please Help Tokumbo Car Smells On Acceleration by Lexusgs430: 7:30pm On Oct 31, 2016
HumphreyBold:

you mean i should keep perceiving the smell ?

Stop accelerating hard........
Re: Please Help Tokumbo Car Smells On Acceleration by banky3w(m): 9:02pm On Oct 31, 2016
Lexusgs430:

Stop accelerating hard........
Exactly! Stop accelerating hard bro. You will surely get to desired speed with a smooth acceleration in almost the same time as your hard acceleration. Besides, smooth acceleration reduces wear and tear of your engine.........
Re: Please Help Tokumbo Car Smells On Acceleration by Lexusgs430: 9:32pm On Oct 31, 2016
banky3w:

Exactly! Stop accelerating hard bro. You will surely get to desired speed with a smooth acceleration in almost the same time as your hard acceleration. Besides, smooth acceleration reduces wear and tear of your engine.........

True. Not unless he thinks he is driving a Supra or GT86.....
Re: Please Help Tokumbo Car Smells On Acceleration by mayor2013: 10:22pm On Oct 31, 2016
This topic is getting interesting. Your cat is as good as gone. I accelerate hard on cars that has undergone thorough work at the workshop and I never perceive this smell. Perhaps this catarrh won't let be just be grin
Re: Please Help Tokumbo Car Smells On Acceleration by Lexusgs430: 10:46pm On Oct 31, 2016
HumphreyBold:
Please nairaland , I just bought and 09 camry xle v6 , each time I[b] accelerate hard[/b] it gives a bad smell , like rotten egg.

The smell of rotten eggs is due to a compound called hydrogen sulfide. This comes from the small amount of sulfur that is present in the fuel. Normally the sulfur is converted to sulfur dioxide, which has no odor. When the converter breaks or the filtering layers have worn down inside the converter, the sulfur is not transformed into the odorless form. Therefore a strong rotten egg smell is produced. Another possible cause for this smell may be that the converter is plugged. Unfortunately you cannot repair a converter but need to have it completely replaced. Two other causes of rotten eggs besides a broken catalytic converter include an engine that is running too hot or a broken fuel pressure regulator. You can easily deal with the fuel pressure regulator by replacing the fuel filter.

Interpretation ---- Stop accelerating hard (start saving for a cat) or buy air wick (to mask the rotten egg smell, incase you decide to drive hard again) or keep you window up, when hard driving temptation arises or also eat boiled egg (it counters the rotten egg smell).................
Or better still, have your vehicle scanned ..........................
Re: Please Help Tokumbo Car Smells On Acceleration by mayor2013: 11:00pm On Oct 31, 2016
Lexusgs430:

The smell of rotten eggs is due to a compound called hydrogen sulfide. This comes from the small amount of sulfur that is present in the fuel. Normally the sulfur is converted to sulfur dioxide, which has no odor. When the converter breaks or the filtering layers have worn down inside the converter, the sulfur is not transformed into the odorless form. Therefore a strong rotten egg smell is produced. Another possible cause for this smell may be that the converter is plugged. Unfortunately you cannot repair a converter but need to have it completely replaced. Two other causes of rotten eggs besides a broken catalytic converter include an engine that is running too hot or a broken fuel pressure regulator. You can easily deal with the fuel pressure regulator by replacing the fuel filter.

Interpretation ---- Stop accelerating hard (start saving for a cat) or buy air wick (to mask the rotten egg smell, incase you decide to drive hard again) or keep you window up, when hard driving temptation arises or also eat boiled egg (it counters the rotten egg smell).................
Or better still, have your vehicle scanned ..........................

grin
Re: Please Help Tokumbo Car Smells On Acceleration by GAZZUZZ(m): 7:37am On Nov 01, 2016
another angle to all this is rear impact damage not fixed properly, causing fumes to enter from leaks in the boot/rear area.
Re: Please Help Tokumbo Car Smells On Acceleration by erico2k2(m): 9:54pm On Nov 03, 2016
GAZZUZZ:
another angle to all this is rear impact damage not fixed properly, causing fumes to enter from leaks in the boot/rear area.
This is true, loads of folks here are guilty as charged
Re: Please Help Tokumbo Car Smells On Acceleration by HumphreyBold(m): 8:12pm On Nov 06, 2016
GAZZUZZ:

I notice that the bumper and the back bumper has been resprayed

(1) (Reply)

Why Some SUVs Can Be Submerged And Driven In Water Without Stalling The Engine / What Type Of Car Does Seun Of Nairaland Drive / Help! Babyboy Does Not Rev. Beyond 3k Rpm

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 30
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.