Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,153,812 members, 7,820,852 topics. Date: Tuesday, 07 May 2024 at 11:15 PM

Give Birth In USA: Cost And Procedures Part 5 - Travel (15) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Travel / Give Birth In USA: Cost And Procedures Part 5 (978755 Views)

Canadian Express Entry/Federal Skilled Workers Program- Connect Here Part 5 / General German Student Visa Enquiries Part 5 / Give Birth In USA: Cost And Procedures Part 6 (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) ... (12) (13) (14) (15) (16) (17) (18) ... (416) (Go Down)

Re: Give Birth In USA: Cost And Procedures Part 5 by firsttymum(f): 4:59pm On Nov 08, 2016
100shades:
@firsttymum, Thank you. Sent mine on Thursday and still no response. Should I be worried?
check ur spam or something. What embassy did u send it, Abuja or Lagos
Re: Give Birth In USA: Cost And Procedures Part 5 by Kemond11: 5:27pm On Nov 08, 2016
I'm preparing for this same journey next year which may end up being the same state,i will try as much as possible to avoid those people and stay on my own because I have learnt my lessons though in a hard way.
Re: Give Birth In USA: Cost And Procedures Part 5 by XX01(f): 5:43pm On Nov 08, 2016
@Mamatam,

I am staying with my hosts in Cedar Hill as well. I think the reason the woman was talking of being a billionaire back home was that she was intimidated with the big big houses, plenty yard space and big SUVs. Houses in Phase 1 cannot compare. She felt a need to show that she's also well to do.

Everything is big in Texas. grin. Me likey.

5 Likes

Re: Give Birth In USA: Cost And Procedures Part 5 by modath(f): 6:36pm On Nov 08, 2016
Mamatam,

I didn't even say nothing... cheesy

1 Like

Re: Give Birth In USA: Cost And Procedures Part 5 by 100shades: 6:49pm On Nov 08, 2016
firsttymum:
check ur spam or something. What embassy did u send it, Abuja or Lagos

Sent to the Abuja address because interview was done there.
Re: Give Birth In USA: Cost And Procedures Part 5 by chibertha(f): 7:21pm On Nov 08, 2016
FabioRomani:
Please I need help. My wife travelled to the US with my one year+ son for visit on a b1b2 visa, but while they were there, my son fell I'll and was taken to the hospital. I was advised by an immigration lawyer to apply for mass health or medicare for him cos of the bills. But I am scared of the implication. Please can someone with knowledge advice on the implication. Thanks

I feel you shouldn't except he is a US citizen, if he is not then look for a teaching hospital or public hospital. They are usually very cheap
Re: Give Birth In USA: Cost And Procedures Part 5 by chibertha(f): 8:01pm On Nov 08, 2016
Kemond11:
That I finished the whole bean cake,i cried that day and decided to go back to the hotel. The friend became closer to me not knowing that She's more worst,she will borrow money from me and pretend as if she forgot buy things in my groceries and pretend it's a mistake and. Pick it once I pay. It's so long I can't finish it cos I'm not good in long post

Its a pity, what you went through.
Re: Give Birth In USA: Cost And Procedures Part 5 by chibertha(f): 8:41pm On Nov 08, 2016
100shades:
Hello house, how long does it take typically to receive a response for the declaration of intent letter sent to the embassy?

Received an automated response with frequently asked questions but not the generic response I have seen on the thread.

Response will be highly appreciated. Oshey

Sometimes they don't respond. That was what happened to my friend but i told her to flood their mail box eventually she go the response needed.
My advise send again
Re: Give Birth In USA: Cost And Procedures Part 5 by chibertha(f): 8:47pm On Nov 08, 2016
anonymousmum:
A middle ground is to spend pre-delivery period in private accommodation, and then move to family accommodation post birth when you need support and more space etc.

That way you don't overburden your guest (max spend 1 month) and you also retain your own dignity.

Very true
Re: Give Birth In USA: Cost And Procedures Part 5 by chibertha(f): 8:53pm On Nov 08, 2016
100shades:

Sent to the Abuja address because interview was done there.

Also write to Lagos. That is where the reply usually comes from
Re: Give Birth In USA: Cost And Procedures Part 5 by vamum: 9:31pm On Nov 08, 2016
Abioolly post=50850340[b:
]If I must say if am to have my baby again in the US.. I will neva say with any relative or friend.. [/b]I had a terrible experience with my own aunt.. T[b]o make matter worse.. We stayed on same floor.. Use same elevator...[/b] She ll neva greet either me or my baby.. But I kept on greeting r... am back to naija a[b]nd will b forever grateful to the neighbours who God sent at my dying time[/b]...
Sorry for the long post... Just reading tru and to make pple know even outsiders r better Dan this so called family members

Wow!! So sorry about your experience with your Aunt some people are just not straight forward and don't fear God. God help us all. I think you should however recant your 1st statement that you wont stay with anyone, it was eventually someone that helped you right, who you eventually stayed with it (looks like from your post).

To a lot of people's comments, we have wonderful Hosts and wonderful Guests. We all just need to be more understanding. If you truly can't stay with or accommodate someone for an extended period it will do both parties a whole lot of good if you're open up upfront. A lot of Nigerians don't know how to say No and like being overly diplomatic. I have hosted people in Nigeria (from US) and when I came over here to the US too hosted people (from Nigeria). It will be great if you know the persons character and like people have said work with the understanding that you are hosting a pregnant woman. Setting expectations is always a bid deal, some people don't truly know what to do or expect in the US. It is very very different from Nigeria especially on utilities...

Expectations for Hosted
Conserve power (turn of lights, turn off TV and appliances when not in use)
Conserve water (turn off tap when brushing, not in use, dont wash 3 pieces of clothes in the washer)
Clean up (dishes, house, bathrooms and if they have a maid/cleaning service chip in on paying/tipping the maid)
It is not your house, so please be mindful of how your host wants stuff placed around the house, in cabinets etc (some people can be so finicky)
Give them space from time to time (sometimes they want to come home and do nothing)
Help with Kids (if any)
Chip in with groceries, gas etc (if you are using them, esp if you are a healthy eater)
Show appreciation (little things that you buy for the kids go a long way)

Expectations for the Hostee
You are accommodating a pregnant woman not a maid or a babysitter (Please be mindful that they may not always be a 100% strong)
Relax your rules a little (all you finicky ones, learn to overlook some things)
Help with hospital runs
Help keep her active, shopping, (treat her like you would your sister)
Do your regular chores and don't expect too much in terms of cooking and cleaning
Stop fussing about utilities (what were you expecting with an additional person in the house??)
Stop being nosy/jealous of situations (some people cant just deal that someone else is more wealthy/comfortable than they are)
Don't show yourself nah, you have collected credit card, car loan, mortgage dont collect from pregnant woman join na...
American culture is very different from Nigerian culture. Like people have said they dont teach you in American you "Gain Independence" fast fast. Relax a little and help them understand how things works. Do it in a subtle way
Don't encourage folks to do illegal stuff, freebies, (leave your Naija mentality in Nigeria, it wont help anyone)

These are just a few that I can think of like people have said both sides should be willing to sacrifice and it shouldn't be one sided. It takes a lot for you to open your home to someone else to stay in for more than 2 weeks, lets appreciate the good hosts and good house guests that understand what it takes. And if you cant cope please rent your accommodation.

God Bless

19 Likes

Re: Give Birth In USA: Cost And Procedures Part 5 by BeckyU: 12:00am On Nov 09, 2016
Mamatam:
Did I mention that this Mrs B who had so much cravings for nigerian food could not bring ordinary knorr cubes when she came oo. She told me she didnt want to carry any food in order not to be sent to secondary inspection or delayed. Yet she ate mainly african food here. Im not saying all this to complain or something, lik I said earlier, my house is relatively big and could accomodate people but its the attitude that bothers me... The feeling and sense of entitlement we display couple with the "lagos big girl" mentality most nigerians have. America is a leveler.. nobody cares. By the way, I got to know later that mrs b applied for medicaid that means she didn't pay her bills. Its so crazy what people do here and they cant even try back in Nigeria

You over try. Anyways count it as your contribution to the good of mankind.

1 Like

Re: Give Birth In USA: Cost And Procedures Part 5 by BeckyU: 12:13am On Nov 09, 2016
vamum:

Wow!! So sorry about your experience with your Aunt some people are just not straight forward and don't fear God. God help us all. I think you should however recant your 1st statement that you wont stay with anyone, it was eventually someone that helped you right, who you eventually stayed with it (looks like from your post).

To a lot of people's comments, we have wonderful Hosts and wonderful Guests. We all just need to be more understanding. If you truly can't stay with or accommodate someone for an extended period it will do both parties a whole lot of good if you're open up upfront. A lot of Nigerians don't know how to say No and like being overly diplomatic. I have hosted people in Nigeria (from US) and when I came over here to the US too hosted people (from Nigeria). It will be great if you know the persons character and like people have said work with the understanding that you are hosting a pregnant woman. Setting expectations is always a bid deal, some people don't truly know what to do or expect in the US. It is very very different from Nigeria especially on utilities...

Expectations for Hosted
Conserve power (turn of lights, turn off TV and appliances when not in use)
Conserve water (turn off tap when brushing, not in use, dont wash 3 pieces of clothes in the washer)
Clean up (dishes, house, bathrooms and if they have a maid/cleaning service chip in on paying/tipping the maid)
It is not your house, so please be mindful of how your host wants stuff placed around the house, in cabeop

My host is a friend to a colleague. I paid $1k per month as rent. She takes me to my appointment and shopping when it's convenient. She was with me while in hospital for birth of my baby. I brought some food stuff while coming. She actually told me before I came that she won't be under any obligation to cook for me and I agreed. I eat what they cook and also cooked like twice but I noticed they didnt eat my food, so I stopped cooking or just cook what I will exhaust right away. Can't wait to go back home. Home is home any which way.

4 Likes

Re: Give Birth In USA: Cost And Procedures Part 5 by BeckyU: 12:20am On Nov 09, 2016
Dears,
Please help me out with the below concerns:
1. Can my infant travel back to Nigeria with just the ETC?
2. One of the contacts at Nigerian embassy I got in this forum asked for $350 for the ETC to be paid into her personal account. Is this how it works? I omitted her name on purpose. Just want to know if you paid to a personal account.
3. We are travelling with Delta airlines, called to add my baby and they said $445. Please has anyone here travelled with Delta recently and how much did it cost to add an infant and at what point did you do that?

Sorry for the long question. Make una help o!
Re: Give Birth In USA: Cost And Procedures Part 5 by debbyomi(f): 12:24am On Nov 09, 2016
@vaccum....your pointers are so right. Had my baby almost two years ago in NJ, it helped me cohabit with my host.

@mamatam....I say all the time that people can't give what they dont have. Apparently she didnt have any form of decorum and didnt take cognizance of what was required of her.

1 Like

Re: Give Birth In USA: Cost And Procedures Part 5 by debbyomi(f): 12:27am On Nov 09, 2016
BeckyU:
Dears,
2. One of the contacts at Nigerian embassy I got in this forum asked for $350 for the ETC to be paid into her personal account. Is this how it works? I omitted her name on purpose. Just want to know if you paid to a personal account.
3. We are travelling with Delta airlines, called to add my baby and they said $445. Please has anyone here travelled with Delta recently and how much did it cost to add an infant and at what point did you do that?

Some airlines charge a percentage of what your fare costs between the range of 10%-20% depending on which Airline. I paid about 370 on KLM last year. Perhaps someone who traveled recently on Delta can help out.

Cheers!
Re: Give Birth In USA: Cost And Procedures Part 5 by feddy27: 12:29am On Nov 09, 2016
BeckyU:
Dears,

1. Yes, my baby travelled back with only ETC

2. Yes, I paid to her personal account, snapped and sent all documents to her tru whatsapp. She ws very efficient in service delivery

3. I used Delta last year for my son. Bought the ticket at the airport for $300+

3 Likes 1 Share

Re: Give Birth In USA: Cost And Procedures Part 5 by BeckyU: 2:38am On Nov 09, 2016
feddy27:

1. Yes, my baby travelled back with only ETC

2. Yes, I paid to her personal account, snapped and sent all documents to her tru whatsapp. She ws very efficient in service delivery

3. I used Delta last year for my son. Bought the ticket at the airport for $300+
Thanks feddy27. God bless.

2 Likes

Re: Give Birth In USA: Cost And Procedures Part 5 by oniwoski: 4:12am On Nov 09, 2016
Hi all....its time for me to testify........i was the lady that said my budget was short of 300k...so my interview went thus.... .

I was initially scared when i was directed to this Asian looking vo in lagos but God favoured me in his sight...

vo....goodmorning ma
me.....gdmorning sir

vo.....so why do u wanna go to the US
me.....to deliver my baby

vo...Your second child right?
me...Yes sir

vo.....how much will it cost you
me.....14k plus

vo......who is sponsoring the trip....your husband? While staring at his system
me...yes sir

vo...pls wait a min........(i cant say wat he went in for)
Came back after like 7mins

vo started typing nd said madam your visas has been granted....me nd my daughter ooo....he didnt even bother to check any doc or even see my daughters face cos she was sleeping while i carried her..so she backed the vo...

God's favour and sincerity counts in everything

many thanks to the nairaland family on this thread

20 Likes

Re: Give Birth In USA: Cost And Procedures Part 5 by Chanbaby: 5:31am On Nov 09, 2016
My people, how are we doing hope we are still smiling with this exchange rate cos I am trying to smile at least plus my DH constantly reading psalms to me concerning this my missionary journey. Fear no let me talk anything. Help a sis pls I still haven't booked flight. Pls help my date is Dec 8 -Mar 22.lag to houston. God bless u all for ur help indeed I have a family here on nairaland.
Re: Give Birth In USA: Cost And Procedures Part 5 by XX01(f): 5:33am On Nov 09, 2016
Hope we are watching the US elections. Them no allow me sleep. cheesy

1 Like

Re: Give Birth In USA: Cost And Procedures Part 5 by cutelass: 5:35am On Nov 09, 2016
Is anyone looking at the results coming out of the US election and it's direct impact to this thread?

1 Like

Re: Give Birth In USA: Cost And Procedures Part 5 by Waliwa: 5:54am On Nov 09, 2016
mrschic:
At secondary inspection, I waited for about 20mins. Note that when we landed ord, it was just my flight that landed and there was no queue. I practically strolled to the CBP official.
I was called to a private interview room and questioned.
My doctor's correspondence was perused. Also my cash at hand was sighted. Other documents looked at were my previous zero bal. My phone was also collected. I noticed the official looking through my mails to confirm the doctor's correspondence and notification of intent sent to the embassy. I was then asked to go back to the waiting room. After about 5mins, the same official called me and handed over my documents and said I was free to go.
Over to baggage collection and agriculture clearance.
I want to say thank you to the nairaland mum who recently posted her ord poe experience cos it encouraged me a lot. Severally, I had tried to change my ticket to enter via JFK but the cost and stress involved disuaded me.
I appreciate everyone for their posts as I did study to show myself approved(lol). Safe trip and delivery to everyone.

Can you share information about which hospital you are using? I am exploring options in Chicago. Thanks in advance.
Re: Give Birth In USA: Cost And Procedures Part 5 by adycatus: 5:56am On Nov 09, 2016
cutelass:
Is anyone looking at the results coming out of the US election and it's direct impact to this thread?

This election result so far isn't funny! God help America, God help us
Re: Give Birth In USA: Cost And Procedures Part 5 by cutelass: 6:09am On Nov 09, 2016
adycatus:

This election result so far isn't funny! God help America, God help us

A possible repeal of d 14th ammendment but in the interim, tougher POE...u'll literally have to blast tongues to pass cbp. I don't wanna sound like a pessimist but anytime Republicans are in power, embassies tighten as per visa issuance, so imagine a Trump presidency...oh Lawd!
Re: Give Birth In USA: Cost And Procedures Part 5 by Nobody: 6:12am On Nov 09, 2016
cutelass:
Re: Give Birth In USA: Cost And Procedures Part 5 by Olalacious: 6:14am On Nov 09, 2016
cutelass:

To think that Trump is taking the lead is nerve wrecking....the impact of him winning on this thread no be for here
Fingers crossed lipsrsealed lipsrsealed lipsrsealed
following the election results till the very end
Re: Give Birth In USA: Cost And Procedures Part 5 by mumzt: 6:15am On Nov 09, 2016
cutelass:

A possible repeal of d 14th ammendment but in the interim, tougher POE...u'll literally have to blast tongues to pass cbp. I don't wanna sound like a pessimist but anytime Republicans are in power, embassies tighten as per visa issuance, so imagine a Trump presidency...oh Lawd!

He's winning o.....hm
Re: Give Birth In USA: Cost And Procedures Part 5 by mumzt: 6:17am On Nov 09, 2016
cutelass:

q

He's winning o.....hm
Re: Give Birth In USA: Cost And Procedures Part 5 by coolhayor: 6:28am On Nov 09, 2016
In other news Trump is leading.....Odikwa very risky,Odikwa very serious.
Re: Give Birth In USA: Cost And Procedures Part 5 by chibertha(f): 6:31am On Nov 09, 2016
BeckyU:
Dears,

Answer
1. Yes an infant can travel to Nigeria with ETC but I prefer getting a visa stamped on the babies passport instead.
2. The cost for visa is about that. from my experience it will be stamped the same day the passport gets to the embassy and put in the mail for return to sender.
3. My friend who is coming back on the 20th of paid close to $400 or more for her baby on airfrance

I hope I have made " common sense "

3 Likes

Re: Give Birth In USA: Cost And Procedures Part 5 by slimwendy85: 6:32am On Nov 09, 2016
Trump.... cry undecided

(1) (2) (3) ... (12) (13) (14) (15) (16) (17) (18) ... (416)

General UK Visa Enquiries - Part 2 / General German Visa Enquiries Part 2 / Canadian Express Entry/Federal Skilled Workers Program- Connect Here Part 4

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 67
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.