Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,152,248 members, 7,815,367 topics. Date: Thursday, 02 May 2024 at 11:21 AM

Give Birth In USA: Cost And Procedures Part 5 - Travel (223) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Travel / Give Birth In USA: Cost And Procedures Part 5 (976539 Views)

Canadian Express Entry/Federal Skilled Workers Program- Connect Here Part 5 / General German Student Visa Enquiries Part 5 / Give Birth In USA: Cost And Procedures Part 6 (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) ... (220) (221) (222) (223) (224) (225) (226) ... (416) (Go Down)

Re: Give Birth In USA: Cost And Procedures Part 5 by Flawless1988: 1:31pm On May 11, 2017
tbash16:
Hello dear, pls what does the response from the embassy look like, just to be sure it's the normal generic response, because this one plenty, very long email. Thanks.
It's the same generic response
Subject: RE: CHANGE OF INTENT TO TRAVEL
Thank you for your inquiry.

Please note that there is no legal requirement to inform us that you are seeking to give birth in the United States or that your purpose of travel has changed. The Customs and Border Protection, a branch of USCIS, determines a traveler’s eligibility of entry to the U.S, you should be prepared to demonstrate to the immigration officer at the port of entry why you are seeking medical treatment and that you have logistical and financial plans for the treatment. You should show the border protection agents upon arrival in the U.S. your detailed birth plan, which would include correspondence with your doctor, the cost of the delivery, any receipts showing prepayments for care and evidence that you have the ability to pay for all costs while in the U.S. up to and including your living expenses.
We recommend that you review the regulations on non-immigrant aliens entering the United States for purposes of childbirth at https://help.cbp.gov/app/answers/detail/a_id/882/~/visit-the-u.s.-while-pregnant-and-the-risks-involved and plan accordingly. Please you should not stay in the U.S. longer than you are permitted by Customs and Border Protection at the port of entry. The Department of Homeland Security at the port of entry will determine your eligibility to enter the United States on any travel.

If you choose to give birth in the U.S., we advise you to bring evidence of payment, both when you enter the U.S. on this visit, and at your future U.S. visa interviews.

Sincerely,

cid:image001.gif@01D240BF.D4E53CD0
Correspondence Unit (TMI)
US CONSULATE GENERAL
LAGOS, NIGERIA
Re: Give Birth In USA: Cost And Procedures Part 5 by Flawless1988: 1:34pm On May 11, 2017
tbash16:
Hello dear, pls what does the response from the embassy look like, just to be sure it's the normal generic response, because this one plenty, very long email. Thanks.
CHANGE OF INTENT
I am *******, a licensed medical doctor currently practicing in Nigeria with passport number: *******. I am writing you this letter to inform you of my change of intent to travel to the US.

I currently hold a B1/B2 visa together with my husband meant for our family vacation to celebrate our first wedding anniversary at Florida in April.
Although, we did not nurse the idea of birthing in the US, but, after wide consultations and enquiries from some US hospitals, we realized we are financially buoyant to combine both our vacation and birthing in the US.

Furthermore, we have already paid the hospital deposit fee ($200) at the Oakbend Hospital, Houston, Texas and also plan to pay upfront for the full medical bills (about $****) before our arrival in the US. We are expecting our bundle in mid-June. In addition, we have made necessary arrangement for our accommodation already.

We opted for the US because of the significantly lower maternal and neonatal mortality especially for primigravidae and also spend some off work to rekindle our love in another environment.
I would appreciate any necessary correspondence to avoid any problem at the point of entry.

Thanks for your anticipated response on this matter.

4 Likes

Re: Give Birth In USA: Cost And Procedures Part 5 by tbash16: 3:15pm On May 11, 2017
Thank you, mine is different ooo, maybe because it's abuja I sent to, it was an automated response abt how most of my questions are answered below blah blah blah. Maybe I should resend to lagos.
Flawless1988:

It's the same generic response
Subject: RE: CHANGE OF INTENT TO TRAVEL
Thank you for your inquiry.

Please note that there is no legal requirement to inform us that you are seeking to give birth in the United States or that your purpose of travel has changed. The Customs and Border Protection, a branch of USCIS, determines a traveler’s eligibility of entry to the U.S, you should be prepared to demonstrate to the immigration officer at the port of entry why you are seeking medical treatment and that you have logistical and financial plans for the treatment. You should show the border protection agents upon arrival in the U.S. your detailed birth plan, which would include correspondence with your doctor, the cost of the delivery, any receipts showing prepayments for care and evidence that you have the ability to pay for all costs while in the U.S. up to and including your living expenses.
We recommend that you review the regulations on non-immigrant aliens entering the United States for purposes of childbirth at https://help.cbp.gov/app/answers/detail/a_id/882/~/visit-the-u.s.-while-pregnant-and-the-risks-involved and plan accordingly. Please you should not stay in the U.S. longer than you are permitted by Customs and Border Protection at the port of entry. The Department of Homeland Security at the port of entry will determine your eligibility to enter the United States on any travel.

If you choose to give birth in the U.S., we advise you to bring evidence of payment, both when you enter the U.S. on this visit, and at your future U.S. visa interviews.

Sincerely,

cid:image001.gif@01D240BF.D4E53CD0
Correspondence Unit (TMI)
US CONSULATE GENERAL
LAGOS, NIGERIA
Re: Give Birth In USA: Cost And Procedures Part 5 by 9jabiggurl: 5:56pm On May 11, 2017
I need help, would i need to renew my son's passport here in 9ja before we travel. his passport expires in Nov and we plan travelling 4months before then for just a month. I have bought our tickets via DOHA (Qatar) however reading now somewhere DOHA requires your passport to have at least 6 months before expiration. in the event our hotel which is complimentary with the ticket is outside the airport, will my son whose passport is barely 6 months before expiration allowed in or there would just tell us to sit at the airport. (8 hours layover fa!!) i cant try that with 2 active toddler boys....

Anyone that can help tackle this issue please....
Re: Give Birth In USA: Cost And Procedures Part 5 by ANIT1: 6:29pm On May 11, 2017
Chanbaby:

Please dear I sent you a pm regarding Desouls contact I'm in urgent need of the visa on arrival. Thanks

1 Like

Re: Give Birth In USA: Cost And Procedures Part 5 by johnobot: 7:49pm On May 11, 2017
Pls and pls any july mum to chicago my DW is going next week , so we can share accomodation ,it's quite urgent
Re: Give Birth In USA: Cost And Procedures Part 5 by SleekFullah(f): 9:45pm On May 11, 2017
Hi nairaland family, please has anyone tried scheduling an interview lately? Been trying to but not successful... And I have already submitted my DS160 form and paid visa fee. Thank you all.
Re: Give Birth In USA: Cost And Procedures Part 5 by Riri26: 10:40pm On May 11, 2017
I am happy to read from various people's experiences on this platform. Please i will like to know your thoughts. My hubby, our 2yr old and myself got our b1 b2 visa in Nov 2015 for 2weeks Christmas vacation and I wasn't pregnant then. I was asked if I was pregnant and I said no,the VO also asked if we would seek any medical services and we said no. We have not travelled since then because of my tight schedule at work and i got preg in late 2016 and now we want to travel next month at 33weeks for vacation and to have our baby. Do I really need to send the change of intent letter? Based on what I have been reading many people don't think its necessary, I'm really confused. Also do u think I will have any issues with the Houston poe? Thank u for ur input on this.
Re: Give Birth In USA: Cost And Procedures Part 5 by Flawless1988: 11:22pm On May 11, 2017
Riri26:
I am happy to read from various people's experiences on this platform. Please i will like to know your thoughts. My hubby, our 2yr old and myself got our b1 b2 visa in Nov 2015 for 2weeks Christmas vacation and I wasn't pregnant then. I was asked if I was pregnant and I said no,the VO also asked if we would seek any medical services and we said no. We have not travelled since then because of my tight schedule at work and i got preg in late 2016 and now we want to travel next month at 33weeks for vacation and to have our baby. Do I really need to send the change of intent letter? Based on what I have been reading many people don't think its necessary, I'm really confused. Also do u think I will have any issues with the Houston poe? Thank u for ur input on this.
You should send a change of intent letter, you would be asked at the POE
Re: Give Birth In USA: Cost And Procedures Part 5 by eyooo(f): 12:11am On May 12, 2017
Please have you gotten any response on this
Guc123456:
Hi,

Can anyone please recommend a Dr in Dallas that accepts transfers till 35 - 36 weeks GA? (Mehn... I can't be there that long) Also looking to make contact with July mamas so that boredom doesn't kill me grin grin

Lastly, has anyone had any luck with finding cheap tickets from Lagos to Dallas?

Thanks.
Re: Give Birth In USA: Cost And Procedures Part 5 by eyooo(f): 12:25am On May 12, 2017
Please if you get dis response. I would like to ask what doc and hospital you used in Dallas and the cost. Pls send me a response at ayomideonigbogi@yahoo.com . would really be looking forward to a response from you.
boluwagin:
Dear Nairaland Mom,

Missionary journey has been fully activated. I left Nigeria on the 11/01/17 at 33 weeks/4days with Qatar and arrived Dallas on the 12/01/17 Thanks to all the mama's in the house who has shared their experiences one way or the other it has helped alot. Although, i was almost giving up on not including childbirth as my purpose in the US, especially as anyone you tell you are going to give birth in the US would tell you not to declare you are pregnant (IGNORANCE!!!), but i kept believing on this forum, discussed with DH and we both agreed the only way out was the TRUTH. In the spirit of giving back to the community....

PART 1- MY DOLLAR WAKA
I was lucky to $2500 out of $3000 from my daddy's Ecobank dom account which he gave me at a very good rate even though he would be travelling soon and needed it as well. Since there was no other way to get any more dollar apart from Black market, i went for it with 'RED EYE'. I was also hoping to get more when i get to Lagos from Burea de change at the rate of N400/$1 but my heart from broken when they said they dint have dollar and i had to buy from Black market at the airport which was N2.00 more expensive than in Warri.

PART 2- QATAR EXPERIENCE
I had already sent my Medical Certificate and MEDIF filled and signed by my doctor few days before departure via Qatar local Email. I called some days after sending it to confirm the status and was told it has been approved, I was not asked for it while checking in. The attendant sent me for Fit to fly at the airport, I paid N1500 and got the cert. We left Lagos around 3pm and arrived Doha 7 hours later. I was qualified for an accommodation because i had an 8hrs layover, got to the hotel, rested till morning and was off for the airport at 6am. I was questioned by Qatar officials, if i was expecting?how much would it cost me?if i have a doctor and evidence?...and that was it.

PART 3- DALLAS POE
We touched down Dallas around 3:25pm. Went straight to the B1/B2 section of the Electronic Receipt kiosk, scanned my visa, answered the questions, got my print out and headed for my luggage. Picked up luggage and then CBP officer, i was already CABASHING before it got to my turn.
ME: Goodafternoon sir
CBP: What is your purpose in the US?
ME: For Holiday and Maternity Leave
CBP: Do you intend having your baby in the US?
ME: Yes sir.
CBP: I can see you declared food, i will have to send you to Agriculture.
At agriculture i was asked was what kind of food i was carrying, scanned my bags and i was Off!!! Without any document checked even though i was prepared with all my documents. God was too faithful, Dallas POE is bae abeg!!! My host picked me up, got home and rested. I noticed my passport was not stamped, i was a bit scared but my host told me to check i-94 website, which i did and discovered i was admitted till November 2017 which is even more than 6 months...Glorrrrrrryyyy!!!!

Sorry for my long post but i just had to give back.

1 Like

Re: Give Birth In USA: Cost And Procedures Part 5 by eyooo(f): 12:37am On May 12, 2017
Hello Tee and Bolu,
Please I wld not mind if you guys could share dis info with me also.
I am looking for a doc and hospital in Dallas area but its so hard to get email Addy for correspondence. Pls anyway you can help me out. I would appreciate . my email Addy is ayomideonigbogi@yahoo.com. looking forward to hearing from you guys. Thanks
Teefinix3:

Hi boluwagin.
Congrats on ur safe delivery. I was able to get in touch via mail to Dr stimage office and her prices were quoted. But the lady didn't include the hospital bills and told me to get in touch with the hospital myself.
Please how were u able to get in touch via mail to Baylor white Scott.
I will be needing the Hosp correspondence at the POE.
I ve sent a request to PM you.
Thanks

Re: Give Birth In USA: Cost And Procedures Part 5 by johnobot: 7:13am On May 12, 2017
Pls any Chicago July mum , my DW is travelling next week and needs info on accommodation or apartment we can share with July mum
Re: Give Birth In USA: Cost And Procedures Part 5 by QUEENBIZ: 7:33am On May 12, 2017
ayamout85:
Please can you share a cheap stat/city for birthing? including everything doctor, hospital etc..

If you don't mind El Paso, TX. I think with your budget, you are good to go.
Re: Give Birth In USA: Cost And Procedures Part 5 by customised87: 8:25am On May 12, 2017
eyooo:
Please if you get dis response. I would like to ask what doc and hospital you used in Dallas and the cost. Pls send me a response at ayomideonigbogi@yahoo.com . would really be looking forward to a response from you.

Go through her posts, she already mentioned the name of the hospital she used in one of them.
Medical Centre, Carrollton
Re: Give Birth In USA: Cost And Procedures Part 5 by customised87: 8:27am On May 12, 2017
YETI28:
Pls any one knows any cheap hospital in dallas.. Tanks..

Go through Boluwagin posts
Re: Give Birth In USA: Cost And Procedures Part 5 by customised87: 8:38am On May 12, 2017
Flowers:

I had same issue but Stanbic didn't raise a brow. They just asked for the marriage cert. Gtbank and their excuses. If you have another account try them out or go to another Gtbank branch.

Please how lond did it take before you were called to get the dollars after your application for the PTA?
Re: Give Birth In USA: Cost And Procedures Part 5 by MadameKofo: 10:02am On May 12, 2017
October moms going to Chicago please lets connect kiss kiss kiss
Re: Give Birth In USA: Cost And Procedures Part 5 by ify4charm: 11:16am On May 12, 2017
Guys pls has anyone tried exchanging clothes bought in the US after five months. Bought lots of clothes for my baby but she has outgrown most of it. Don't mind exchanging it for bigger sizes. D tags are still intact. Do you think the stores will agree? 6-24mths some of which are the same fit irrespective of the size on the label.
Re: Give Birth In USA: Cost And Procedures Part 5 by shawlar(m): 11:28am On May 12, 2017
Riri26:

As long as you haven't used the visa for the original purpose, my advice is for you to send the change of intent letter. As you can see from others POE stories, its been known to be requested for. It doesn't cost you anything to send and its better to have it & not need it than need it and not have it.

2 Likes

Re: Give Birth In USA: Cost And Procedures Part 5 by Blackgolden: 12:00pm On May 12, 2017
Hello House,

I've been a loyal reader of this thread since a friend recommended it recently, and i would appreciate your advice as I am yet to read any similar experience.

Warning: Long post!

DH and I got our visa in Feb 2017 and when asked I said I wasn't pregnant, because hospital result showed at that time that I wasn't (even though we have being trying). During the interview, the lady said I could go give birth but must keep all my documents(I guess this is routine statement). A few weeks later another hospital confirmed I've been pregnant since January. We had lost our first pregnancy due to hospital carelessness and negligence, and the hospitals we starting their drama again.

DH and I did not initially think of having our baby (our 1st) in US until late April and we have decided.
I have family in Dallas, Houston and North Carolina, and my sister has helped secure a hospital in Dallas were we plan to use.
Please note that:
1. This will be my first trip to the US (in fact, my visa was stamped on a virgin passport).
2. Our vacation trip wasn't until later in the year, now the plan is to go give birth.
3. I'm planning to travel in June( flight with lufthansa has been secured) and stay till after I give birth sometime in October.

I've read about the letter change of intent and experiences at POE.
My fear now:
1. Is it not to late now to send the "change of intent" letter (as I will be leaving in June) and considering the fact that this is my first time, how easy will that be granted?

2. I want to carry enough cash to pay my bills and I want to tell the CBP at POE that I plan to give birth and return ( I'm staying that long to have better prenatal care cos of previous experience ) to Nigeria.

We have discussed the option of going and coming and going again, and that will involve a lot of cash, and I no get that kind money ibeg.

Your constructive advise will be appreciated. Thanks in anticipation.
Re: Give Birth In USA: Cost And Procedures Part 5 by YETI28: 12:51pm On May 12, 2017
ayabemm16:

Dallas is a bit pricey. Have you contacted any doctor yet? Maybe start with that

No I havnt..ok will do that
Re: Give Birth In USA: Cost And Procedures Part 5 by mimimum: 1:07pm On May 12, 2017
shocked

Miarose:
Well, I just came back yesterday from California with my baby,normal delivery.
The city I stayed in is riverside. The cost breakdown is below;
Doctor fee is 2000$. Fee is same for either normal delivery or cs.
Hospital fee is 1650$ for a day stay for normal delivery. Cs is 4400 for 3 day stay. Extra $500 comes in for extra baby ( twins).
Epidural is 550.
Induction is 300.
Hospital is parkview community hospital riverside. The other hospital riverside community hospital has the same rate too for cash payment.
I spent a total of 3950$ for giving birth there.
The ped I used cost me only 100$. Visit to the hospital to discharge baby is free. The 100$ comes when you visit his office on baby first appointment.
Hepatitis b vaccine is 35$ with him.

Riverside county is about 1 hr from LA. You will have to make more enquiries on the cost of accommodation and transportation. I stayed with a relative so didn't spend on those two.

4 Likes

Re: Give Birth In USA: Cost And Procedures Part 5 by MadameKofo: 2:59pm On May 12, 2017
Favouredmom i tried replying you it kept bouncing back.
Jesufifunmi please reply my messages
Re: Give Birth In USA: Cost And Procedures Part 5 by favouredmum: 3:14pm On May 12, 2017
MadameKofo:
Favouredmom i tried replying you it kept bouncing back.
Jesufifunmi please reply my messages

Kindly send me a pm and lets see if it goes through.
Thank you.
Re: Give Birth In USA: Cost And Procedures Part 5 by Ayotundesh: 4:40pm On May 12, 2017
Hello House!

I've read much older post...what a long and helpful thread.
Thank you for all the credible information.

Please can anyone recommend a hospital or doctor for me in Atlanta where I can birth my LO... I would be due in the 1st week of December.
But I would like to leave in September or October.

Just want to know a recommended doctor
Where in Atlanta?
How much? Or a price range.

Thank you.
Re: Give Birth In USA: Cost And Procedures Part 5 by YETI28: 5:45pm On May 12, 2017
Pls o.. Con some one make me understand d difference between birth centres and hospitals.. Heard birth center is cheaper but is it OK?

1 Like

Re: Give Birth In USA: Cost And Procedures Part 5 by TripleKMama: 5:58pm On May 12, 2017
shocked shocked
Ayotundesh:
Hello House!

I've read much older post...what a long and helpful thread.
Thank you for all the credible information.

Please can anyone recommend a hospital or doctor for me in Atlanta where I can birth my LO... I would be due in the 1st week of December.
But I would like to leave in September or October.

Just want to who know a recommended doctor
Where in Atlanta?
How much? Or a price range.

Thank you.

2 Likes

(1) (2) (3) ... (220) (221) (222) (223) (224) (225) (226) ... (416)

General UK Visa Enquiries - Part 2 / General German Visa Enquiries Part 2 / Canadian Express Entry/Federal Skilled Workers Program- Connect Here Part 4

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 61
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.