Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,152,482 members, 7,816,141 topics. Date: Friday, 03 May 2024 at 06:24 AM

My Lebanese Boss Promises To Sack Me When Next I Bend Or Try To Collect His Bag - Career (4) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Career / My Lebanese Boss Promises To Sack Me When Next I Bend Or Try To Collect His Bag (44552 Views)

Falz Bop Daddy Challenge: Immigration Threatens To Sack Employees / Physique Of Cameroon Miners Who Dive Under River To Collect Sand For Living(Pics / "Boss' Wife Told Me To Send Their Maid Out. Boss To Sack Me If I Can't" - Man (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: My Lebanese Boss Promises To Sack Me When Next I Bend Or Try To Collect His Bag by Sanchez01: 7:50am On Nov 03, 2016
lestat:

there you go, point proven... you typed lit but said nothing . instead you tried to make this about a tribe ? i rest my case
It obviously is, don't you get it? You 'fired' a staff for bowing to you while he or she greeted and you consider it weird, because you don't understand why the person did it (I know you lied but I'll just pretend).

When Yemi Osinbajo almost went on her knees to greet the president, I could remember how some people from a particular divide called her a slave just because it's alien to them. You failed to understand how culture could influence our decisions and attitude particularly when meeting people for the first time.

A friend of mine almost went on her knees at a mall when her long lost friend introduced her to her parents who are Igbos. Trust the Yoruba attitude in her while greeting them. I didn't take the dad 5 seconds to figure where she's from.

Unfortunately, most of the people crying on the thread are folks who have never left their regions or state to see how it is done in the SW.

So you see, my friend, everything boils down to tribe here.

3 Likes

Re: My Lebanese Boss Promises To Sack Me When Next I Bend Or Try To Collect His Bag by Nobody: 7:51am On Nov 03, 2016
Grundig:

Chief, I cringe!
I'm not a chief, biko. Seriously, it's not funny when you want to concentrate and do something serious and someone enters your office to ask, 'how was your night? Or How's madam? Or such ridiculous questions that they don't need/want to answer.

1 Like

Re: My Lebanese Boss Promises To Sack Me When Next I Bend Or Try To Collect His Bag by Nobody: 7:51am On Nov 03, 2016
Babzilla:
Funny how we talk of culture and traditions yet we cant employ such when we relate with each other. put a bunch of Nigerians together and all you get is insult, fights, back stabbing, tribalism and tearing each other down.

Well spoken....The only comment that made sense so far.
Re: My Lebanese Boss Promises To Sack Me When Next I Bend Or Try To Collect His Bag by RELEASEUS: 7:52am On Nov 03, 2016
The truth of the matter is the outside world from Africa don't see gestures in greeting as a sign of respect. What they see as disrespect is when you raise your voice over a disagreement or you argue blindly. when they sneeze or cough they don't even want you to say 'sorry' or 'bless you, or ,ekpee o, and stuffs like that. When you get used to it too you will notice it's a better way sef not to pay too much attention to respect...just do your job. khalas.

3 Likes

Re: My Lebanese Boss Promises To Sack Me When Next I Bend Or Try To Collect His Bag by chikexxz: 7:54am On Nov 03, 2016
moscobabs:

lol
its serious bro lalasticla
Seun
1forall
Crazyman
grin
moscobabs:

lol
its serious bro lalasticla
Seun
1forall
Crazyman

Bleep toto
Re: My Lebanese Boss Promises To Sack Me When Next I Bend Or Try To Collect His Bag by Donwizbro(m): 7:55am On Nov 03, 2016
VampireeM:
And the essence of this thread is??
thou shalt not bow to anybody, nevertheless unless necessary.
Re: My Lebanese Boss Promises To Sack Me When Next I Bend Or Try To Collect His Bag by eezeribe(m): 7:56am On Nov 03, 2016
You took your primitive culture to your place of work... To add salt to Injury, A Lebanese for that matter... Your culture don flaw you... See casting

1 Like

Re: My Lebanese Boss Promises To Sack Me When Next I Bend Or Try To Collect His Bag by Sanchez01: 7:56am On Nov 03, 2016
RELEASEUS:
The truth of the matter is the outside world from Africa don't see gestures in greeting as a sign of respect. What they see as disrespect is when you raise your voice over a disagreement or you argue blindly. when they sneeze or cough they don't even want you to say 'sorry' or 'bless you, or ,ekpee o, and stuffs like that. When you get used to it too you will notice it's a better way sef not to pay too much attention to respect...just do your job. khalas.
You have to be specific about 'the outside' world as it does not apply to Indians here. Those ones crave your ass_ licking more than anything.
Re: My Lebanese Boss Promises To Sack Me When Next I Bend Or Try To Collect His Bag by busar(m): 7:56am On Nov 03, 2016
nabiz:
what about yoruba muslim
Many yoruba Muslims lacks understanding of Islam. I'm a yoruba tongue
Re: My Lebanese Boss Promises To Sack Me When Next I Bend Or Try To Collect His Bag by EazyMoh(m): 7:56am On Nov 03, 2016
Lol! Next time when you see him alight just shout "Guy how far?"

1 Like

Re: My Lebanese Boss Promises To Sack Me When Next I Bend Or Try To Collect His Bag by moscobabs(m): 7:56am On Nov 03, 2016
RichYoungNigga:
What state are you from ??

I just accessed your level ****when you called a Lebanese man a 'white man"

You might as well call Chinese people white or Call Egyptians (Africans) white because their skin color is white

Secondly, why would you wanna carry someone's bag ??

Were you employed to carry bags ??

When i went to South Africa with my business partners, one elderly woman came to serve us in the hotel, she was kneeling down to serve us, mean, i got so angry and bitter that i called the hotel owner and gave him the hardest drilling of his life, why would you make our women your Slave ??

I think you should be fired and no company should hire you

Stop that

you are nothing outside naira land

we no u
Re: My Lebanese Boss Promises To Sack Me When Next I Bend Or Try To Collect His Bag by nabiz(m): 7:57am On Nov 03, 2016
Diplomaticbeing:
Servitude isn't loyalty. Culture or no culture, people who usually exhibits the kind of attitude you exhibited are always hypocritical. . . . Me self I do fear them.

Let your ingenuity through your expertise earned you respect, special affection and familiarity you sought from him. You weren't employed as his PA, so I see no cogent reason for your action if not for a hidden intention to establish unnecessary familiarity with him and expectations of favouritism.

Had he be a novice to ethical philosophy and allowed you, you would have taking it as a routine and continue with the same despicable act and that would have allowed emotional relationship - every sound businessman knows how not to allow anyone to subject him to emotional entanglement.

u ar really a diplomat. Nothing sweet like formal life

1 Like

Re: My Lebanese Boss Promises To Sack Me When Next I Bend Or Try To Collect His Bag by aalangel(f): 7:57am On Nov 03, 2016
moscobabs:

lol.. me your Inlaw?
for where?
You're Yoruba my brother. Na una dey marry me.
Re: My Lebanese Boss Promises To Sack Me When Next I Bend Or Try To Collect His Bag by koning: 8:00am On Nov 03, 2016
Anybody who prostrates or bends for me at the work place will be fired too. Lebanon too far sef!. I an Igbo. I will not tolerate such self serving, azz- licking behavior at work. Be efficient at what you do and help the company to grow.

All that bending will not put food on the table.

1 Like

Re: My Lebanese Boss Promises To Sack Me When Next I Bend Or Try To Collect His Bag by moscobabs(m): 8:00am On Nov 03, 2016
enyi1:

Yoruba have Slave mentality naturally. So I'm not surprised. However, i was surprised you didn't tell him to turn around, so you can bend down and kiss his ass!!!

u are here with your tribal jagons again?
Re: My Lebanese Boss Promises To Sack Me When Next I Bend Or Try To Collect His Bag by Emeskhalifa(m): 8:02am On Nov 03, 2016
Jobsdome:
LOL Cultural differences
. Even Arabs no like dat "bend down greet ooo" especially those from Saudi

1 Like

Re: My Lebanese Boss Promises To Sack Me When Next I Bend Or Try To Collect His Bag by sternlley(m): 8:02am On Nov 03, 2016
Gud for you .....who knows if no be eyeservice dey worry you ................eye serviced afonja pple
Re: My Lebanese Boss Promises To Sack Me When Next I Bend Or Try To Collect His Bag by moscobabs(m): 8:02am On Nov 03, 2016
EazyMoh:
Lol! Next time when you see him alight just shout "Guy how far?"
lol....
u funny sa .
I think that's gonna be my next plan

1 Like

Re: My Lebanese Boss Promises To Sack Me When Next I Bend Or Try To Collect His Bag by moscobabs(m): 8:04am On Nov 03, 2016
aalangel:

You're Yoruba my brother. Na una dey marry me.

hunnm.....I think u see nothing bad In our culture ma?Regards to your hubby o
Re: My Lebanese Boss Promises To Sack Me When Next I Bend Or Try To Collect His Bag by AlphaCentauri: 8:04am On Nov 03, 2016
sternlley:
Gud for you .....who knows if no be eyeservice dey worry you ................eye serviced afonja pple
he is not afonja. go through his page and posts. he is from ebonyi. he is ndigbo
Re: My Lebanese Boss Promises To Sack Me When Next I Bend Or Try To Collect His Bag by Barigaboy(m): 8:05am On Nov 03, 2016
moscobabs:
Just resumed my new office last week o.

My first time of working with White man sa (Lebanese) , The man is free and humble in fact everybody loves him, among other Lebanese my Boss is jovial, free and hardworking man.

He has worked in 5 African countries so he understands Africa and her culture very well.

The real story....

I resumed very early this morning and I decided to wait in front of office before I start today's activities when I saw my boss coming down from his Truck carrying his bag , as a young Yoruba man that comes from good background ..lol So I ran to him and say Good morning sir (bend my head) and I stretch my hand to collect his bag.

The man who has never disrespect me like that before shouted on me!!

Who owns the bag? he asked

repeat!!!! who owns the bag moscobabs?

Me: You sir!!!! I replied..

if it's me "why should u collect it from me?

Me: I just wanted to help u sir.

Y? ..... I couldn't respond .

I say why? ...meet me in office now!!!! he commanded .

We entered his office and he sat me down

moscobabs, You were employed as so so so in this company not to carry bag, the bag belongs to me and I must carry it, also you always bend whenever you greet me...please its not necessary, in fact its not official, I just opportune to be your boss, you are married as I , You are graduate although you are younger than me but you have to attach respect to yourself.

I was like " ki la gbe, ki la ju" but I replied him by saying ....

Sir, I am african we have cultures and Traditions and parts of these is what I did, We respect our elders and seniors that's why we bend or prostrate while greeting and we do help them carry their loads even if we carry ours too.

And he responded with smiles...No problem But when next you greet me in such an embarrassing way or try to collect my bag I won't think twice before I sack you!!!

I beg o Is anything wrong in what I did?

Is there any other reason for his reaction?

The man just dey look me somehow since morning
Nothing wrong with what u did but he doesn't want that so u need to stop. A igbo man also said something close to that the first time I greeted him n bend that he is not God. I no those people that lack good culture would say trash but leave dem they r meant to criticize other people orientation when they don't have a good one. While I was growing up. U greet elderly people without prostrating u get a slap from my mother either d person is igbo, yoruba or hausas.

2 Likes

Re: My Lebanese Boss Promises To Sack Me When Next I Bend Or Try To Collect His Bag by Nobody: 8:08am On Nov 03, 2016
A word they say is enough for d wise
Re: My Lebanese Boss Promises To Sack Me When Next I Bend Or Try To Collect His Bag by robotix: 8:11am On Nov 03, 2016
moscobabs:

My first time of working with White man sa (Lebanese) , The man is free and humble in fact everybody loves him, among other Lebanese my Boss is jovial, free and hardworking man.

He has worked in 5 African countries so he understands Africa and her culture very well.

The real story....

I resumed very early this morning and I decided to wait in front of office before I start today's activities when I saw my boss coming down from his Truck carrying his bag , as a young Yoruba man that comes from good background ..lol So I ran to him and say Good morning sir (bend my head) and I stretch my hand to collect his bag.

moscobabs, You were employed as so so so in this company not to carry bag, the bag belongs to me and I must carry it, also you always bend whenever you greet me...please its not necessary, in fact its not official, I just opportune to be your boss, you are married as I , You are graduate although you are younger than me but you have to attach respect to yourself.

Sir, I am african we have cultures and Traditions and parts of these is what I did, We respect our elders and seniors that's why we bend or prostrate while greeting and we do help them carry their loads even if we carry ours too.

And he responded with smiles...No problem But when next you greet me in such an embarrassing way or try to collect my bag I won't think twice before I sack you!!!

That is the problem with Nigerians. You carry your "do baa le" attitude enter work. He is right bro. Keep that attitude at home.

The one that annoys me most are those ones who think you should greet them because they are older than you and think they can claim seniority outside their house.

2 Likes

Re: My Lebanese Boss Promises To Sack Me When Next I Bend Or Try To Collect His Bag by Mpanyi: 8:11am On Nov 03, 2016
The bottomline in all this is know what your boss wants and gives it to him. Does he love people respecting him by bowing or prostrating may be due to culture or upbringing? please bow o, lie on the ground if possible. If not, do as. he wants. Always be wise in dealing with people.
Re: My Lebanese Boss Promises To Sack Me When Next I Bend Or Try To Collect His Bag by ilesha(m): 8:16am On Nov 03, 2016
Why should you try to collect his bag in first place, you are not employ as office assistant. Greeting only is okay.

1 Like

Re: My Lebanese Boss Promises To Sack Me When Next I Bend Or Try To Collect His Bag by namuguibe(m): 8:17am On Nov 03, 2016
Seriously shameless ásskissing by the OP
Re: My Lebanese Boss Promises To Sack Me When Next I Bend Or Try To Collect His Bag by robotix: 8:19am On Nov 03, 2016
RichYoungNigga:
Slave mentality

In the USA, your boss will be the first person to tell you good morning when you come to the office

You're very lucky i wasn't your boss, i would have beat the living daylights out of your brain and still fire you for being a fool
That's Nigerians for you, especially the Yorubas.

That's how one came to an international forum talking at me the way he wants, when he saw how I responded, he checked my facebook profile to find I am young faciallym Dude came back telling me he is not my mate nor close to his siblings blah blah. I told him to drop that attitude the moment he leaves his house because nobody gives a fork as he doesn't feed me, neither am I his siblings.

1 Like

Re: My Lebanese Boss Promises To Sack Me When Next I Bend Or Try To Collect His Bag by manikspears: 8:20am On Nov 03, 2016
RichYoungNigga:
What state are you from ??

I just accessed your level ****when you called a Lebanese man a 'white man"

You might as well call Chinese people white or Call Egyptians (Africans) white because their skin color is white

Secondly, why would you wanna carry someone's bag ??

Were you employed to carry bags ??

When i went to South Africa with my business partners, one elderly woman came to serve us in the hotel, she was kneeling down to serve us, mean, i got so angry and bitter that i called the hotel owner and gave him the hardest drilling of his life, why would you make our women your Slave ??

I think you should be fired and no company should hire you
You do know there is a possibility you got somebody's mother fired? Consider many factors next time, I know you have good intentions.
Re: My Lebanese Boss Promises To Sack Me When Next I Bend Or Try To Collect His Bag by eniwhy: 8:22am On Nov 03, 2016
That is not culture, its an act of creating lowself esteem and phobia or fear which our elders believe is sign of respect. Furthermore, why do you think when our elders do wrong we dear not to look into their eyes and say why did you do that, why do you think Nigeria become what it is today? Because we keep quite base on phobia and fear instilled in us during growth. Let me go back to memory lame, In abroad you cannot beat your own child or intimidate him or her, you can only do correction because when you do wrong your child can report you the police. White men generally, has strategically make parent to be their own security. The white man was trying to open your eyes from lowself esteem and inferiority complex which has affected every Nigerians, Fela Anikulapo was also trying to open our eyes too from his lyric, we fear for the thing we no c. From Oracle
moscobabs:

The real story....

Re: My Lebanese Boss Promises To Sack Me When Next I Bend Or Try To Collect His Bag by scachy(m): 8:23am On Nov 03, 2016
moscobabs:

The real story....

Oga, whites (Asians inclusive even though they are not whites) lives a simple life.he no want ur prostration na by force?? Try it Again n get fired so that u ll have enough time to prostrate at elders in ur community

1 Like

Re: My Lebanese Boss Promises To Sack Me When Next I Bend Or Try To Collect His Bag by TheVictorious(m): 8:23am On Nov 03, 2016
Running to carry somebody's bag, bowing down to greet someone in a corporate setting, agreeing to every thing somebody says cos he's older than you, unwillingly using your left hand to pay or collect something from someone you're buying something from (when you even have other choices), begging for or even thanking someone for giving me what I paid my money for, accepting that you are doing me a favor by serving me for what you're employed and paid to do (like doctors say in medical centers, I cant gut up from here but bring your card, let me just help you)..........all these and many more nonsense that are culturally influenced rub off against my unprofessionalism phobia, no wonder many lecturers didn't like me when I was in school.

Back then in school, one morning, I went to a bookstore to photocopy and bind some files which was an assignment I was supposed to submit in the evening of the same day. I paid the woman so that when I return, I will just take the work and go to the class that I will submit it. When it was almost time to use it, I went to the book store and asked for my work, only for the woman to get up from her seat and loudly yell this at me in the midst of the many people; students, younger staffs, observers and what have you, that were in the book store: "ALL YOU THESE CHILDREN OF NOWADAYS, I DON'T KNOW WHAT IS WRONG WITH YOU. THEY WILL GIVE YOU WORK TO DO, INSTEAD OF YOU TO DO IT BEFORE THE DAY YOU WERE TOLD TO SUBMIT AND SUBMIT, YOUR LAZINESS WILL MAKE YOU LEAVE IT TILL THE DAY THAT YOU ARE SUPPOSED TO SUBMIT, GO AND QUEUE UP BEHIND THOSE PEOPLE WHEN I'M DONE WITH THEIR WORK I'LL DO YOURS." Stunning right , your guess is as good as mine.

first, I have no business with you than the work I paid you to do
Second, I never told you when I want to Submit it (I only told you that you should do it immediately and you accepted) and whenever I want to submit it is none of your business
Next, even if the work is due for submission in 10 years time, I have the right to request for it anytime based on the agreement we reached, as long as I have met my own part of the deal (paying my money). So what right have you to come and start advising me or using your seniority or post in the school to intimidate me? Are you serving me for free, or did I pay you to advise me??
Instead of you to apologize for breaching the contract we have entered (by keeping my work of less than 10mins aside and greedily taking up newer jobs for greater pay for more than 4 hours); you are now bringing in your age, status, religion (her advise was kinda religious) and culture into play; beclouding the judgement of onlookers

I blasted her before the timid crowd, that were stunned by my point-blank and unceremonious reply, without any regard for whoever she was or whatever anybody there thought, told her to immediately return my money and the work I gave her, walked away and slammed their door. She was shocked to see this so she apologized to me another day.

I JUST THINK WE'RE USING CULTURE AS AN EXCUSE FOR NONCHALANCE, MEDIOCRITY AND STUPIDITY IN OUR PLACES OF WORK IN AFRICA!

7 Likes 1 Share

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (Reply)

Kehinde, Yetunde Longe: Husband, Wife Decorated As Commissioners Of Police / Union Bank Salary Scale: How Much Does Union Bank Pay? / Disabled Man In Kaduna Working As A Labourer At A Site (Photos)

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 88
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.