Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,150,741 members, 7,809,834 topics. Date: Friday, 26 April 2024 at 03:42 PM

My Honest Observation And Critique Of Americanah By Chimanda Adichie - Literature (5) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Entertainment / Literature / My Honest Observation And Critique Of Americanah By Chimanda Adichie (16630 Views)

Chimamanda Adichie Poses In Her Hometown In Abba, Anambra State / Chimamanda Adichie’s ‘Americanah’ For HBO Max TV Series / Between Chimanda Adichie and Hilarry Clinton (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: My Honest Observation And Critique Of Americanah By Chimanda Adichie by Fawklicant: 7:50pm On Nov 06, 2016
merahki:

True Story cool
The story was soo honest it was a bit chilling. "In your face and raw truth" was how she dished it cheesy
A beautifully told story....

@OP....what a sanctimonious load of crap, na only you waka come? shocked shocked. In other words, you need her to lace it with hypocrisy (preach against sex) in order to appeal to your senses eh? Wahala
She is not Pastor Adeoluorishuogbueli is she? She has never claimed to be a redeemer....has she? She is a pure story teller, and if you have a problem with it, write your own (Adichie's mentor Achebe said this). She did not write her book to pander to our over-religious appetites
Also I started reading "Anthills of the Savanna" ....it has sex, and scandal and corruption so I don't know what you are on about
I think you have no business reading books like this, stick to all those Daily Biscuit types.

(For people who are yet to read) You are in for a cool, great ride....realistic, rebellious, passionate, well written and believable story
You must not read if what you want is morality and preaching. We know where we can get all that...our Senate, our religious institutions, etc lipsrsealed

true talk jare. Some people think literature is like nollywood, where the plot is predetermined and bad guys get served in an exaggerated manner. Truth is, it is even those wicked people that live very loooong lives.

Adichie served up the raw truth in that book.

1 Like

Re: My Honest Observation And Critique Of Americanah By Chimanda Adichie by Fawklicant: 7:50pm On Nov 06, 2016
slap1:

I don't think the mod who moved this nonsense to the front page understands literature. This is a big embarrassment for nairaland. This isn't a critique, it is a soulless, ignorant rambling.

Exactly.
Re: My Honest Observation And Critique Of Americanah By Chimanda Adichie by mamawin(f): 7:53pm On Nov 06, 2016
FakoMaybach1:

Thank you very much...please if u know of any other Young nigerian authors you could recommend them...i really want to know what literature has metamorphosed into.
honestly I don't know if any other, I've read excerpts of some others like Seffi Attah, but not the full books. Although the new and young authors are trying, but we can't compare them with the older generations. NO.
Re: My Honest Observation And Critique Of Americanah By Chimanda Adichie by prettybetty25(f): 9:29pm On Nov 06, 2016
On the part of aunty uju as a prostitute,adichie made us know the repercussion because aunty uju suffered more than the pleasure she enjoyed at first.
Re: My Honest Observation And Critique Of Americanah By Chimanda Adichie by Arielle: 9:33pm On Nov 06, 2016
TwentySeven:
Obinze a.k.a Ceiling. grin

People who read the book will know what I'm talking about. grin grin grin

cheesy I thought that was a cute, naughty nickname!
Re: My Honest Observation And Critique Of Americanah By Chimanda Adichie by Arielle: 9:44pm On Nov 06, 2016
I like that she didn't come across as preachy and moralistic. She's a writer, not your pastor. And she gave a realistic view of life in nigeria, at that time and even presently. Impressionable young people should look to their parents as role models, not a narrator of modern fiction. This is getting to be the norm where parents are abdicating their roles and responsibility to train and set good examples for their children to follow and are instead looking to pop culture figures as role models. Please train your children and allow me to have a good read, I beg. However salacious it may be!

1 Like

Re: My Honest Observation And Critique Of Americanah By Chimanda Adichie by Nobody: 10:17pm On Nov 06, 2016
In my own opinion, I think she writes the Nigerian story like an outsider would. U know, like a spectator. It reflects in her writings that she has never felt the fire..

1 Like

Re: My Honest Observation And Critique Of Americanah By Chimanda Adichie by ephi123(f): 8:28pm On Nov 07, 2016
Sleekyshuga:
@ OP,

Having read Americanah and others (except for The Thing Around Your Neck), I'll say your observations and critique are laudable but then, that literary work was centered on the harsh realities of life, and not basically morals.

She is a realist and I appreciate her for that. Truly, the society has declined to such state as described in her book, Americanah.

Well, if you want something on morals, Purple Hibiscus will do the magic for you though at a point, I felt nauseated sad as the way which Eugene brought up his kids was way too crude (my opinion). He was overly religious (a practicing Catholic) who was violent to his household (the book will explain better). Severally, he subjected them to psychological and physical cruelty that his wife, Beatrice had no other option than poisoning him while her son, Jaja stood in for her, and went to jail.

No, she is not overrated (for an African female writer) tongue but cannot be compared to the Achebes, Elechis etc.. Those were icons of literary works..

Chai! Spoiler alert embarassed
I am currently reading Purple Hibiscus and still in the early chapters..

1 Like

Re: My Honest Observation And Critique Of Americanah By Chimanda Adichie by Sleekyshuga(f): 8:46pm On Nov 07, 2016
ephi123:

Chai! Spoiler alert embarassed
I am currently reading Purple Hibiscus and still in the early chapters..
**hands in the air** cheesy grin

Do forgive me as it wasn't done intentionally. I was only reminiscing as I read the book in my teen.

Go ahead!! You'll enjoy it..

1 Like

Re: My Honest Observation And Critique Of Americanah By Chimanda Adichie by ephi123(f): 10:57pm On Nov 07, 2016
Sleekyshuga:

**hands in the air** cheesy grin

Do forgive me as it wasn't done intentionally. I was only reminiscing as I read the book in my teen.

Go ahead!! You'll enjoy it..

No worries! smiley
Yes, it's been really good so far

1 Like

Re: My Honest Observation And Critique Of Americanah By Chimanda Adichie by Krystalzkris(f): 12:06am On Nov 09, 2016
It's not easy being a writer in this part of the world, where most prefer other activities that is far from reading. It's paramount we help ourselves out

Please vote for me copying and posting the link on your main browser. Not opera mini or Uc browser.

You will see my story, then you can decide to vote. Click on the blue stuff with a thumb on it.

The link is https://prize.etisalat.com.ng/flash-fiction/voteall.php?id=651

Don't forget to copy and paste it in your browser.
Thanks
Re: My Honest Observation And Critique Of Americanah By Chimanda Adichie by meobizy(f): 2:27pm On Aug 13, 2018
I'll wait till the movie comes out before forming an opinion.

My great grandfather lived till the ripe old age of four hundred and ninety nine years, three hundred and sixty four days by doing what, minding his business.

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (Reply)

Five and Six / A Spark(getting Me Back) / Heat Of Virginity

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 23
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.