Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,154,195 members, 7,822,035 topics. Date: Thursday, 09 May 2024 at 03:07 AM

Lessons I Learnt From 2016 US Presidental Elections: Donald Trump's Victory - Foreign Affairs (8) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / Foreign Affairs / Lessons I Learnt From 2016 US Presidental Elections: Donald Trump's Victory (39859 Views)

Meet Chinese Monkey That Prophesied Trump’s Victory / Two Unclad Ladies Protesting Against Donald Trump's Victory Arrested By Police / TRUMP The Loser Of US Presidental Election (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) ... (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Lessons I Learnt From 2016 US Presidental Elections: Donald Trump's Victory by Timbuktuo: 4:14pm On Nov 12, 2016
missjo:

Well let's assume you're right and that he would have also lost, I can assure you that unlike Clinton, Bernie would not be struggling to get to 240 electoral votes.

Personally, Trump didn't stand a chance against Bernie Sanders but trust the DNC to favour a Clinton over an outsider like Sanders who's actually an Independent.

Like I said, it's anyone's guess. And we could probably argue for and against our respective opinions. Don't discountenance the gender advantage Hillary had. Sanders would not have won some demographics that Hillary did, si there's that.

Not only was Hillary favoured, Sanders was rigged out of the primaries.
Re: Lessons I Learnt From 2016 US Presidental Elections: Donald Trump's Victory by Nobody: 4:14pm On Nov 12, 2016
Timbuktuo:

Nothing new to whom? Not a shock to whom? The media? The DNC? The many on this thread who are attributing Trump's victory to racism? Van Jones of CNN, with tears in his eyes, said this election was a 'whitelash' against the existence of an Obama presidency, and that is still the overwhelming feeling on the left. 'Trump won because racism is still alive and well in America'. All you have to do is tune in to CNN anytime if your choosing. They can't wait to tell you how white Americans are racist and bigoted.

The same media you just said knew about economic incentives to vote? Are you taking the piss, woman? So, you mean they knew all this and yet chose to ignore it all and instead focus on pussy grabbing. Now, I'm in shock. grin. Are they so reetarded?

Nobody was surprised that the working class white man voted for Trump. How difficult is that to understand?
Re: Lessons I Learnt From 2016 US Presidental Elections: Donald Trump's Victory by Timbuktuo: 4:15pm On Nov 12, 2016
Mindfulness:

Not going to happen but I am happy you have enjoyed the conversation.

I think many Americans were feeling this way.

True!

I wonder if he believes what he is saying.

I think Trump did both, promote his policies and attack Hillary and Obama. It has proven to be more successful.

[img]http://www.gannett-cdn.com/-mm-/e864d4c5445b78b2fd9ceb78059bb8a5cb06be36/c=17-0-707-519&r=x404&c=534x401/local/-/media/2015/12/10/RenoGroup/RGJ/635853512231271622-0b283a5a331d8fec94b3ffdd94e658ba.jpg[/img]

It will be interesting. wink

That picture you put up has been debunked. Trump never Sid those words. grin You've been hoodwinked.
Re: Lessons I Learnt From 2016 US Presidental Elections: Donald Trump's Victory by Ajibade105(m): 4:15pm On Nov 12, 2016
Who have seen the movie 'watch grimsby 2016'. In that movie they reported at the WHN world headline news that Donald Trump has AIDS.

I guess the director of the movie didn't know President elect Donald Trump will win the election. I can see someone going to jail and can predict the first to leave america. Lol

Guess what, at the end of the movie, they said Donald Trump was not involved in this film and is not HIV positive. Now, your jail sentence has being reduced to 20years and not infinite. Lol

Congratulations to the US President Elect.
Re: Lessons I Learnt From 2016 US Presidental Elections: Donald Trump's Victory by Timbuktuo: 4:16pm On Nov 12, 2016
Mindfulness:

Nobody was surprised that the working class white man voted for Trump. How difficult is that to understand?

Then explain why they are being labeled racist. grin
Re: Lessons I Learnt From 2016 US Presidental Elections: Donald Trump's Victory by Nobody: 4:17pm On Nov 12, 2016
Timbuktuo:

I wish him luck on that with a Republican Congress.

This point reminds me of the RNC's NeverTrump movement. The establishment have licked their own asses for too long, in fact, so long that Republican voters say the GOP is in collusion with the RNC and tagged them the Uniparty. You saw how quickly Republican big wigs came back to support Trump after they all denounced him following the grabgate scandal? The voters didn't care a drop about that and felt Republican politicians were self-serving and even marked them to be booted out at whatever next election they faced. This is symptomatic of the establishment on both sides losing touch with the average voter.

True.

Michael Moore is just consoling himself here. If the electoral college system was so important they should have had it fixed or campaigned for its fixing. You cannot come and be changing goals after results. Democrats list this one and that's that. He's also making the mistake most mainstream media talking heads make, ie, identity politicking. Is there anyone in America being underpaid because she's a woman? No. Why is he bringing that up? Hillary brought it up at a rally, and it's not a valid talking point. Anybody who says there's a gender pay gap in the US should be quarantined, they have a defective brain. Per Obamacare, well, all you have to do is google the dissatisfaction People have with it. Go to Reddit and you'll see people can't wait to have it scrapped. They literally cannot afford it. Yes, the poor benefit from it, but someone who works hardly can. Some guy said he had to turn down a $2000 dollar raise because it would be detrimental to him on the ACA requirements and you think people don't want it scrapped grin.
Michael Moore has finished his assignment, he should go and sit down.

Changing the voting system is not the same as changing the elected candidate.

Your obsession over feminism reminds me of the media's obsession over Trump. They helped him promote his insanity and you have been helping to promote feminism for a long time too without even noticing it. grin
Re: Lessons I Learnt From 2016 US Presidental Elections: Donald Trump's Victory by missjo(f): 4:17pm On Nov 12, 2016
Timbuktuo:

Like I said, it's anyone's guess. And we could probably argue for and against our respective opinions. Don't discountenance the gender advantage Hillary had. Sanders would not have won some demographics that Hillary did, si there's that.

Not only was Hillary favoured, Sanders was rigged out of the primaries.
I'm sure they've been biting their fingers for this miscalculation.
Re: Lessons I Learnt From 2016 US Presidental Elections: Donald Trump's Victory by Nobody: 4:18pm On Nov 12, 2016
Timbuktuo:

Then explain why they are being labeled racist. grin

It's the game of politics, you try to denounce your opponents.
Re: Lessons I Learnt From 2016 US Presidental Elections: Donald Trump's Victory by Nobody: 4:18pm On Nov 12, 2016
Timbuktuo:

That picture you put up has been debunked. Trump never Sid those words. grin You've been hoodwinked.

Has it?
Re: Lessons I Learnt From 2016 US Presidental Elections: Donald Trump's Victory by Nobody: 4:19pm On Nov 12, 2016
missjo:

I noticed your style of argument the last time we had a conversation regarding the US and its need to be in everyone's business. You have a way of trying to shift the conversation to suit your narrative and it's actually an ingenious tactic,lol. I LIKE YOU.

This has very little to do with the economy, i understand how economists might want to have their voice heard but I'm going to ask you one simple question:
Do you think Donald Trump would have won the election if the DNC had made BERNIE SANDERS their nominee, bad economy or good economy?

Please be honest and objective, and put this into consideration as well: States where Bernie Sanders had initially won delegates and votes during the Democrat primaries, were won by Donald Trump on election day.

Honestly speaking, I do not know.
Re: Lessons I Learnt From 2016 US Presidental Elections: Donald Trump's Victory by Nobody: 4:20pm On Nov 12, 2016
wiseass:

Brother that is so true!! you can't watch any movies or series without a gay couple or gay scene as in its absolutely sickening. even music videos, and gay inspired fashion . sometimes I'm genuinely afraid of the kind of world my children will grow up in

I am not.
Re: Lessons I Learnt From 2016 US Presidental Elections: Donald Trump's Victory by Nobody: 4:21pm On Nov 12, 2016
Mindfulness:

Trump has made racist, islamophobic and sexist remarks but that does not mean that his voters or most of them are racist, sexist or islamophobic.
I would have never voted for him but voting for Hillary would make me lose sleep as well. Americans had the choice between pest and cholera and Trump seemed like the lesser of the two evils to many and for reasons I can understand. Hillary fvcked it all up. She did not have what it takes and her campaign was ineffective. I saw this coming.

Most people are simple. They want simple solutions to complex problems and The Donald had them whereas Hillary was representing the elites that simple people do not understand and do not trust. The same elites that they feel betrayed them.

These elections pretty much remind me of the Brexit disaster. Take back control was the slogan that made people feel strong and powerful again when in fact Brexit means the opposite but looking back at how the Brexiters campaigned, it was much more effective as it appealed to people in simple terms. Make America great again is a better slogan than Stronger Together.

It is all about how you sell yourself but I am pretty happy Brexiters won and Trump did so too. They must deliver now. The NHS has not seen all the millions they were promised yet and will not see them ever. grin

I want to see the wall Trump promised to build and have Mexicans pay for it. And I want to see how he will successfully isolate the USA in times of globalization, boost the economy and create the jobs. I am also waiting for more populists to govern Europe. People will be hungry soon. History repeats itself. I wish we could avoid it but since every Dick and Harry acts like an expert on politics and economics nowadays, let them deliver.
If Trump actually tries to build that wall it will actually take a huge toll on the american tax payers money.
Re: Lessons I Learnt From 2016 US Presidental Elections: Donald Trump's Victory by Nobody: 4:22pm On Nov 12, 2016
lefulefu:

If Trump actually tries to build that wall it will actually take a huge toll on the american tax payers money.

The Mexican tax payer's money? grin
Re: Lessons I Learnt From 2016 US Presidental Elections: Donald Trump's Victory by Timbuktuo: 4:24pm On Nov 12, 2016
missjo:

LOL,i included white supremacy in there as a nuance to the American situation.
Populism in the form of Nationalism is Merkel's undoing.

Lol. Okay. But even in the American situation, I'd still go with populism over white supremacy.
Re: Lessons I Learnt From 2016 US Presidental Elections: Donald Trump's Victory by Timbuktuo: 4:24pm On Nov 12, 2016
Mindfulness:

Has it?
Google is your friend, my sister.
Re: Lessons I Learnt From 2016 US Presidental Elections: Donald Trump's Victory by Nobody: 4:25pm On Nov 12, 2016
Timbuktuo:

Google is your friend, my sister.

I love Google. grin
Re: Lessons I Learnt From 2016 US Presidental Elections: Donald Trump's Victory by Timbuktuo: 4:30pm On Nov 12, 2016
missjo:
I'm sure they've been biting their fingers for this miscalculation.
Of course, they are.
Re: Lessons I Learnt From 2016 US Presidental Elections: Donald Trump's Victory by Timbuktuo: 4:32pm On Nov 12, 2016
Mindfulness:

It's the game of politics, you try to denounce your opponents.

Ah, I see. No need to fight fair. But they wanted Trump to be a gentleman like Romney and McCain? grin. Jokers.
Re: Lessons I Learnt From 2016 US Presidental Elections: Donald Trump's Victory by Timbuktuo: 4:37pm On Nov 12, 2016
Mindfulness:

True.

Changing the voting system is not the same as changing the elected candidate.

Your obsession over feminism reminds me of the media's obsession over Trump. They helped him promote his insanity and you have been helping to promote feminism for a long time too without even noticing it. grin

Yet, there is a move to change the winner of the elections. Protests are going on as we speak, what they intend to achieve is still a bit unclear.

I only responded to Moore's comments. Isn't that why you put them up? So that we could discuss them? You don't want them discussed?
Re: Lessons I Learnt From 2016 US Presidental Elections: Donald Trump's Victory by Nobody: 4:47pm On Nov 12, 2016
Timbuktuo:

Yet, there is a move to change the winner of the elections. Protests are going on as we speak, what they intend to achieve is still a bit unclear.

I only responded to Moore's comments. Isn't that why you put them up? So that we could discuss them? You don't want them discussed?

Moore has not said that he wants to change the candidate. He wants to change the voting system.

And I love it that Americans are protesting. They are not as racist and sexist after all. grin
Re: Lessons I Learnt From 2016 US Presidental Elections: Donald Trump's Victory by Timbuktuo: 5:04pm On Nov 12, 2016
Mindfulness:

Moore has not said that he wants to change the candidate. He wants to change the voting system.

And I love it that Americans are protesting. They are not as racist and sexist after all. grin

I never said Moore said that, I'm talking about him whining on losing, and is country people whining as well.

Mindy, what colour underwear do you have on? wink.
Re: Lessons I Learnt From 2016 US Presidental Elections: Donald Trump's Victory by Nobody: 5:04pm On Nov 12, 2016
Timbuktuo:

I never said Moore said that, I'm talking about him whining on losing, and is country people whining as well.

So what? Are they supposed to be happy?

Mindy, what colour underwear do you have on? wink.

I'll slap you. angry
Re: Lessons I Learnt From 2016 US Presidental Elections: Donald Trump's Victory by IAmOged(f): 6:03pm On Nov 12, 2016
Timbuktuo:
Let's also not forget the millions of blacks, Latinos and other minorities who voted this guy. Are they also racist towards themselves and their kind? grin. Diamond and Silk are two black women who have a YouTube channel analysing their support for Trump, there was the Blacks for Trump movement, Latinos for Trump, etc. Peter Thiel, a gay billionaire donated, at least, $25m to Trump. But there was a backlash, a gay group came out and declared "Peter Thiel is no longer gay". grin. I swear, you can't make this up. Identity politics is a symptom of mental imbalance.

When you treat people according to demographics you stand the risk of fostering division.

I would like to ask if it is racist to despise Obamacare and vote for the only candidate who says he's going to repeal it grin. What Hilary said is she'll double down on Obamacare even though most Americans don't want it. They can literally not afford it. Just google Obamacare and see why Americans hate it, and you actually expect them to vote Hillary? grin

Abeg, all dis one na water under bridge.

Sir...8 out of 10 blacks/latinos voted clinton

Trump had his victory from the rustbelt and northampton side....non college whites,middle class whites compare to the more educated whites who are democrat.

surely facts dont matter in politics...people care about their race,money,etc

Wildflame and Scot Adams dilbert was even campaigned against by all dis media shenanigans because dey supported Trump...

overall.....i think clinton votes was repressed
Re: Lessons I Learnt From 2016 US Presidental Elections: Donald Trump's Victory by Timbuktuo: 6:10pm On Nov 12, 2016
Mindfulness:

So what? Are they supposed to be happy?
They can feel as bad as they want, but protesting and signing petitions that the popular vote be used to declare Clinton winner is poor form.

I'll slap you. angry
With what? Your left or right bosom? grin
Re: Lessons I Learnt From 2016 US Presidental Elections: Donald Trump's Victory by Timbuktuo: 6:12pm On Nov 12, 2016
IAmOged:

Sir...8 out of 10 blacks/latinos voted clinton

Trump had his victory from the rustbelt and northampton side....non college whites,middle class whites compare to the more educated whites who are democrat.

surely facts dont matter in politics...people care about their race,money,etc

Wildflame and Scot Adams dilbert was even campaigned against by all dis media shenanigans because dey supported Trump...

overall.....i think clinton votes was repressed

Ok, ma.
Re: Lessons I Learnt From 2016 US Presidental Elections: Donald Trump's Victory by Nobody: 6:32pm On Nov 12, 2016
Timbuktuo:

They can feel as bad as they want, but protesting and signing petitions that the popular vote be used to declare Clinton winner is poor form.

They can feel bad as much as they want and they can also express it in their protests as much as they want. It is their constitutional right. On top of that, it is the proper and most perfect time to call for a change of the electoral system. I give it to Moore but he never said that the electoral system should be changed to declare Clinton the winner, did he?

With what? Your left or right bosom? grin

I have told you guys, I am as flat as a pancake, on both sides ...
And extremely ugly too.
Re: Lessons I Learnt From 2016 US Presidental Elections: Donald Trump's Victory by laudate: 7:24pm On Nov 12, 2016
Mindfulness:
You are in no way authorized to speak for most women, white or black so cut that crap.

I read an article that women want different types of men in the different phases of their menstrual cycle and life, now what?

I live in Europe and I have white friends, plenty, but I do not know one woman who fancies Trump.

Believe whatever you want and if you think that Trump is most women's dream, may your daughters and sisters marry a man like him.

Chai!! See finishing...! shocked
Re: Lessons I Learnt From 2016 US Presidental Elections: Donald Trump's Victory by Timbuktuo: 7:24pm On Nov 12, 2016
Mindfulness:

They can feel bad as much as they want and they can also express it in their protests as much as they want. It is their constitutional right. On top of that, it is the proper and most perfect time to call for a change of the electoral system. I give it to Moore but he never said that the electoral system should be changed to declare Clinton the winner, did he?

No, he didint. Wish the protesters luck though.

I have told you guys, I am as flat as a pancake, on both sides ...
And extremely ugly too.
You don't lie well. Mindy, send me a pic of you, let me analysis the stats myself. wink
Re: Lessons I Learnt From 2016 US Presidental Elections: Donald Trump's Victory by laudate: 8:03pm On Nov 12, 2016
Onegai:
Fayose is the only person in govt exchanging words with Buhari. He even went on to attack the First lady. He postured with a trip to China after Buhari went, to do nothing. He goes around cutting kpomo, eating roast corn, sharing rice and live chickens instead of creating a good economic and educational environment. He does not speak too much grammar like he attended university. He is willing to invite bankers to his house and surprise them with a camera crew and create a spectacle. He passed the anti-grazing law in his state. If he presents himself as a Presidential candidate in Nigeria, he will be a Trump and win in a landslide. All he needs is an Igbo running mate or a Donald Duke as VP.

Fayose is not someone that commands my respect, but I honestly believe he was right to have passed that anti-grazing law. Those Fulani herdsmen had pillaged villages and ransacked entire communities, under the pretext of grazing their cows. sad None of them have been caught, prosecuted or made to feel the wrath of the law, despite several reports to the law enforcement agencies. angry Are they spirits or ghosts??! shocked

Other state governors whose citizens had experienced similar levels of devastation in the hands of the herdsmen, decided to shout and then fold their arms, in a bid to be politically correct. Only Fayose took some kind of action, by promulgating that law. Since then, those herdsmen have learnt to behave themselves, whenever their cows stray into Fayose's domain. undecided

Honestly, he got it right by passing that bill. Others should take a cue from him. sad

#IstandwithFayoseOntheanti-grazing bill.
Re: Lessons I Learnt From 2016 US Presidental Elections: Donald Trump's Victory by bashsani(m): 8:10pm On Nov 12, 2016
KillerPriest:

Ah, emotions tend to run roughshod over logic. It's the bane of humankind.

‘Tis why a General can jolt his army out of fear and cowardice, and instigate them to launching an attack simply by singing or chanting an emotive song. It doesn't matter if the opponent has the numerical advantage or whether their defeat is certain, the soldiers would still plunge in fearless into the battle because the song would have put them in animal spirits.

Humanity should have evolved from making decisions based on emotions. Sadly it has not

It's rather difficult to discern when you are earnest or when you are regaling the readers with your sarcastic gibes.
I love this ur post infact it made me take a new decision on who I shud b. We cannot defeat emotions instead we shud learn to live by it, it's actually not selfishness but bin ourselves. Nothing is actually right or wrong but what the majority blived is right or wrong. Thanks
Re: Lessons I Learnt From 2016 US Presidental Elections: Donald Trump's Victory by Nobody: 9:33pm On Nov 12, 2016
Mindfulness:

The Mexican tax payer's money? grin
cheesycheesy lol hope u heard that former Mexican president Vicente Fox replied Trump by saying the Mexicans aint goin to build any Bleep**n wall.Well i think most of Trump rhetorics was said just to appeal to the racist rednecks.Its just the same way same way some of our politicians make bogus promises in naija when campaigning.But then what is worrying everybody is that Trump can be unstable sometimes and he gives in to erratic emotions.So him being the presido of the most powerful nation on earth is like a six year old kid handling a ferrari at breakneck speed.you know how it would end up.

1 Like

Re: Lessons I Learnt From 2016 US Presidental Elections: Donald Trump's Victory by Nobody: 10:23pm On Nov 12, 2016
Onegai:
Trump told White uneducated people: "I am going to bring your jobs back and stop these nonsense Latinos taking work from you. Also muslims and Black Lives Matter because a lot of you are police families and you feel under attack."

He told White Educated people: "I am going to deport Nigerians and Indians taking your jobs and stop these Muslim attacks. I will also reduce healthcare coverage because you are now paying more for it since more poor people joined for free or for cheap. I will also end Black Lives Matter because they are using it to make you feel guilty for being White"

He told White Christians: "Enough with this Gay rights and transgender nonsense, I am also going to overturn Abortion".

He told rich White people: "I am going to cut taxes for you."

Trump won all their votes. Call it Identity Politics, in Nigeria we call it Tribal Politics and everyone plays it (how GEJ remembered his middle name was "Eberechukwu" when he was up for re-election, how Buhari promised to Northerners to expand Sharia Law, Oba of Lagos Island and his "Go to the Lagoon speech if you don't vote my guy", Igbo people and whomever promises them Biafra, the list goes on).

So many of them voted for him and admitted that he didn't have the temperament to be President but they just wanted to give a big "F-you" to the coastal cities and the elites. In 2 years' time when the Repubs can't deliver (and they cannot, their economic and healthcare plan doesn't favour poor people), they will vote them out during midterms. Same thing they did to Obama. The problem is all the damage he and the Republicans would have done in that time (limiting press freedom, privatising Medicaid and messing up Universal Healthcare, driving up debt, maybe being foolish enough to get into a trade war with China, Canada and Mexico, most definitely allowing Russia push its expansionist agenda and hold Europe to ransom, giving North Korea balls to threaten South Korea with nuclear warfare, pissing off enough Western-born muslims into radicalising and reinvigorating ISIS same as UKIP did, the good thing is that they will stay away from Syria and Assad).
if all this happens it will lead to WW3.I wonder what would become of africa if a global war broke out.

(1) (2) (3) ... (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (Reply)

Gambian Army Chief Rejoicing After Barrow's Inauguration (Photo, Video) / Russia Will Bear The Consequences: Biden introduces more sanctions / Trump Sacks Sally Yates After She Declines To Defend Travel Ban

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 80
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.