Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,153,524 members, 7,819,886 topics. Date: Tuesday, 07 May 2024 at 05:03 AM

Lessons I Learnt From 2016 US Presidental Elections: Donald Trump's Victory - Foreign Affairs (6) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / Foreign Affairs / Lessons I Learnt From 2016 US Presidental Elections: Donald Trump's Victory (39852 Views)

Meet Chinese Monkey That Prophesied Trump’s Victory / Two Unclad Ladies Protesting Against Donald Trump's Victory Arrested By Police / TRUMP The Loser Of US Presidental Election (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Lessons I Learnt From 2016 US Presidental Elections: Donald Trump's Victory by Tajbol4splend(m): 11:41pm On Nov 11, 2016
Edwinmason:
sometimes hard work does not pay

Then you definitely don't understand what hard work is
Re: Lessons I Learnt From 2016 US Presidental Elections: Donald Trump's Victory by kobonaire(m): 11:46pm On Nov 11, 2016
Trump is a hero right now but he can quickly turn to zero - exhibit Prez Obama in his initial term. He has a lot on his plate that he has promised to do.
Re: Lessons I Learnt From 2016 US Presidental Elections: Donald Trump's Victory by Igboid: 11:48pm On Nov 11, 2016
cyrilamx:
Your hatred for Trump won't let u see the Bigger picture. Hillary lost for so many reasons. One she plan to continue the unpopular Obamacare which is even very expensive and out of the reach of average Americans. 2. She is an avowed abortionists and planned to increase federal funding of planned parent hood which incensed the Conservative Christians especially the catholics who re the largest denominations. About 5,000,000 babies are Aborted in America yearly and black women account for 31 percent of abortions. 3. She planned to continue with Obama's promotion of homosexuality, forcing if religious group to wed guys, lesbians, transgender, and many like reason 2 above were determined against her ascension to the White house. 4. Many Americans never forgave her for causing the death of four Americans including an ambassador in Benghazi,Libya and the email scandals despite FBI exonerating her. 5. The attempt where her campaign team attempted to stir a revolution with the Catholic Church was one of her greatest undoing. This greatly incensed catholics who love their church so much despite not really living up to its teachings.

Yet she won the majority vote. Meaning that majority of average Americans are in conformity with liberalism.
Re: Lessons I Learnt From 2016 US Presidental Elections: Donald Trump's Victory by israelnojr(m): 11:55pm On Nov 11, 2016
The TBC Price Has Increased.

Invest Now While Its Still Cheap. December is the deadline. Why? Simply because if you don't get some for yourself now while its at the rate of 36,000naira] and by December, it will be about 50k.

Wanna buy #TBC ? Need More Info? Ready To Invest Into The Next Future Cryptocurrency? Then Call/Whatsapp +2349051323710
Re: Lessons I Learnt From 2016 US Presidental Elections: Donald Trump's Victory by kings09(m): 11:58pm On Nov 11, 2016
U think Trump cared abt ur feelings? He will do wat he say he ll do so far is in d interest of America. U can keep ur respect, it doesn't count.
cococandy:
On the other hand I hope he surprises us all to become the exact opposite of what people expect.

Until then he doesn't have my respect. He's never respected Obama so he should not expect others to hand it to him. He has to earn it.

1 Like

Re: Lessons I Learnt From 2016 US Presidental Elections: Donald Trump's Victory by landinfo: 11:59pm On Nov 11, 2016
Pidgin2:

He also said he would date his daughter if she wasn't his child and they still voted for the sexual predator, Americans amaze me

As for Hillary, the moment I watched her trying to appeal to women and canvassing for their votes, I feared for her chances.

I've always known this, if you want to win votes never appeal or canvas for women's votes because women hate women. Instead appeal and canvas for men's votes, surround yourself with men who don't have problems working with women, this is the secret to winning political offices in backward countries like Africa, Asia and the US. Europe is advanced so one can get away with canvassing votes from females but you cannot succeed with this strategy any where else. Hillary should have employed me as her political adviser, I guarantee she would have won Trump in a heart beat.

I hate this word....what do u mean by Africa, Asia & the US are backward cos they support a Trump or Leftist views
From Brexit to the core of Europe including Mother Russia have had citizens championing for White-Supremacist dominance for yrs & Brexit or Trumps victories are reminders that those citizens no longer want legal/illegal immigrants in their countries....even Angela Merkelis facing the heat in Germany so also France, Italy, Holland, etc
The white men are tired of immigrant, the system & war/terrorism
Re: Lessons I Learnt From 2016 US Presidental Elections: Donald Trump's Victory by glosplendid(f): 12:57am On Nov 12, 2016
Welllllll
Re: Lessons I Learnt From 2016 US Presidental Elections: Donald Trump's Victory by Nobody: 1:01am On Nov 12, 2016
1. Impossible is nothing!
2. Against all odds, if u believe it, u can achieve it!
3. Capitalise on ur opponent's weakness(es).
Re: Lessons I Learnt From 2016 US Presidental Elections: Donald Trump's Victory by richie9093(m): 1:51am On Nov 12, 2016
Timbuktou, Mindfulness, you two should just get a room to do the needful
and ease the tension. Your banter is cracking me up.

You both have raised some salients points though. If I was an American, I don't know who I would have voted because we have a Misogynist and racist on one hand; A criminal (although only accused) and warmonger on the other hand.

Hillary has done many harms when he was in the Senate and also SoS. Who knows if we would have peaceful middle east and Libya without her actions.

The Donald on the other hand was just a loose cannon who talks without thinking. How will you deport 11 million immigrants? Do you know what this will do to the economy? Someone who doesn't think climate change isn't real and is only being propagated by the Chinese?

I guess it was a case of lesser evil in this past election. Throughout this campaign, Hillary's team never really bothered to talk about/hammer on her policies; all they did was attack the Donald and play the gender/race card (the only reason I'm happy she lost) which in turn is only going to create a us versus them thinking to the public.

Funny thing is, Trump may even surprise everyone and not even be as bad as he was during the campaign. He has been known to speak from both sides of his mouth. Afterall he has donated to Clinton's foundation and also donated for her when she was in Senate (they are both new yorkers) and he has also identified as a democrat in the past too.

All in all, the next 4 years will be fun to watch. America either implodes or be great again.

3 Likes

Re: Lessons I Learnt From 2016 US Presidental Elections: Donald Trump's Victory by fourthworld: 2:27am On Nov 12, 2016
bukatyne:
The world was shocked when Donald Trump 'hilariously trumped' Hillary Clinton and there was definitely several lessons to be learnt. Personally, I learnt:

1. Never Say Never: Donald graduated from a man with no political experience to become the POTUS....

2. The Social Media is powerful yet not as powerful as it seems: Going by the SM polls and atmosphere, one would have thought Hillary would win by a landslide however...

3. Discern the people that matter: Hillary was canvassing to the Blacks and Latinos (most of whom probably were not eligible to vote); Donald went to the core voters... The white men. Also, American's electoral voting system means some states are weightier than others. Imagine jacking all day for a 2units course and leaving your 6unit project to chance.

4. Strike the people that matter in the right place: Trump hit the white men/women where they wanted... Blacks are too much in their country and they wanted them out etc. His political incorrectness interestingly worked for him

5. You don't have to be good to be liked/wanted: Donald Trump cool/ He did not have to be like 'Gentleman Obama' to get same results.

6. Turn your lemons to lemonade: With all the negative press, Donald's campaign team managed and rode on the negatives to success

7. People do not always mean what they say/ say what they mean: Who would have thought Trump would have any supporter/ vote with all the 'he is anti-woman/anti-gay/anti-black/anti-(fill in the gap)'? Who would have believed that the same women/Black/Latinos would vote for him more than Hillary? According to Huffington post, majority of the women, blacks & Latinos voted Trump.

8. No knowledge is 'lost': Donald did not have the experience/knowlegde of politricks however he is a successful business man and he brought his business sense to the campaign/ movement. He fitted his gift into the suitation and utilized it well.

This also confirmed that beneath the façade of liberalism and modern-feminism, Americans are a very conservative and traditional lot.

What did you learn?

*modified to include point 8

The impossibles are springing up everywhere. The emergence of Biafra will surprise people like Trump's victory
Re: Lessons I Learnt From 2016 US Presidental Elections: Donald Trump's Victory by richie9093(m): 2:39am On Nov 12, 2016
Kirinwa:

While our Nairaland sisters carry feminism for head like gala.

Chimamanda is a feminist in writing not in practice. That's why she's still married but our sisters will not see beyond the fantasies created through literary expression of illusion much to their detriment.

It was the white women who brought about the idea of feminism and sold it to the black women. These same white women (majority of them) turned their backs on the black women and voted in Trump (although I'm not saying they should have voted on Hillary based on gender alone).

This is how these white people keep selling these ideology to us and we we'll be carrying it on our heads like they were the ones that formed it in the first place. meanwhile the white people will drop this same ideology when it does favor them.

They did the same thing to us with religion too. Now they've dropped religion would we are still caring it on our heads. I'm really sorry for the black race, we keep following these people every where while they leave us behind.

2 Likes

Re: Lessons I Learnt From 2016 US Presidental Elections: Donald Trump's Victory by linearity: 3:29am On Nov 12, 2016
bukatyne:

7. People do not always mean what they say/ say what they mean: Who would have thought Trump would have any supporter/ vote with all the 'he is anti-woman/anti-gay/anti-black/anti-(fill in the gap)'? Who would have believed that the same women/Black/Latinos would vote for him more than Hillary? According to Huffington post, majority of the women, blacks & Latinos voted Trump.

This is not true, the analysis you might be referencing must have stated that Trump out performed previous GOP Presidential nominees in these demography.

Hillary out performed him with these groups, but under performed Obama with these groups.

Many democrats crossed over to vote for Trump, and many sat it out; also the Sander's effect affected her, the FBI interference also hurted her.

What PMB is currently to many low income people voted for him and are now wailing will happen in the US very shortly.

When they revoke Obamacare, 20mil ppl will lose coverage, same with the other social services. It is crazy that union families voted heavily for him many becos they falsely believed that he will bring back manufacturing jobs from Mexico and China whereas this guy is against union and they will start gutting unions anytime now.

1 Like

Re: Lessons I Learnt From 2016 US Presidental Elections: Donald Trump's Victory by benjibabs(m): 3:51am On Nov 12, 2016
carammel:

This means that women only show they love their fellow women outwardly but deep within them,they would never support a woman to become a leader.

Modern-feminism will have a hard time staying.

It would be a great disservice to the nation if women voted based on genda only, especially when the woman in question is extremely crooked. Lots of women voted trump because they did not want Hillary's mess. Hillary was the problem not her genda. I'd bet my last kobo that any other woman would have won hands down.

1 Like

Re: Lessons I Learnt From 2016 US Presidental Elections: Donald Trump's Victory by dalynch(f): 5:42am On Nov 12, 2016
This means that women only show they love their fellow women outwardly but deep within them,they would never support a woman to become a leader.

my dear u are right. deep within them is jealousy. How 'll she rule us God forbid I rather give it to an embesil than her. it happened to me. I eventually won from d support of the male counterparts nd very few ladies. but it wasn't easy. I suffered in Der hand. disobedience , ill manners,and jealousy. women ! we be problem. May God help us
Re: Lessons I Learnt From 2016 US Presidental Elections: Donald Trump's Victory by BigIyanga: 5:57am On Nov 12, 2016
bukatyne:
The world was shocked when Donald Trump 'hilariously trumped' Hillary Clinton and there was definitely several lessons to be learnt. Personally, I learnt:

1. Never Say Never: Donald graduated from a man with no political experience to become the POTUS....

2. The Social Media is powerful yet not as powerful as it seems: Going by the SM polls and atmosphere, one would have thought Hillary would win by a landslide however...

3. Discern the people that matter: Hillary was canvassing to the Blacks and Latinos (most of whom probably were not eligible to vote); Donald went to the core voters... The white men. Also, American's electoral voting system means some states are weightier than others. Imagine jacking all day for a 2units course and leaving your 6unit project to chance.

4. Strike the people that matter in the right place: Trump hit the white men/women where they wanted... Blacks are too much in their country and they wanted them out etc. His political incorrectness interestingly worked for him

5. You don't have to be good to be liked/wanted: Donald Trump cool/ He did not have to be like 'Gentleman Obama' to get same results.

6. Turn your lemons to lemonade: With all the negative press, Donald's campaign team managed and rode on the negatives to success

8. No knowledge is 'lost': Donald did not have the experience/knowlegde of politricks however he is a successful business man and he brought his business sense to the campaign/ movement. He fitted his gift into the suitation and utilized it well.

This also confirmed that beneath the façade of liberalism and modern-feminism, Americans are a very conservative and traditional lot.

What did you learn?

What a load of rubbish! Hillary lost blue states like MI, WI, OH and PA-these are industrial rust belt where manufacturing and trade policies are very important. Latino and blacks have nothing to do with her loss.
Re: Lessons I Learnt From 2016 US Presidental Elections: Donald Trump's Victory by Bollinger(m): 5:59am On Nov 12, 2016
One important lesson from the U.S elections is the realization that most women, irrespective of country like to be treated like trash. He demeaned tons of women in the U.S and they still voted for him. Makes you wonder.

1 Like

Re: Lessons I Learnt From 2016 US Presidental Elections: Donald Trump's Victory by VisitorsCanteen(m): 6:04am On Nov 12, 2016
Edwinmason:
sometimes hard work does not pay

Not all the 'hard work pays' bro. Good morning
Re: Lessons I Learnt From 2016 US Presidental Elections: Donald Trump's Victory by omobamatrix: 6:23am On Nov 12, 2016
bukatyne:

Please explain
you can be beating the drum and it not sounding!
Re: Lessons I Learnt From 2016 US Presidental Elections: Donald Trump's Victory by Sheggy13(m): 6:24am On Nov 12, 2016
carammel:

This No 7 point by the OP which you quoted is a pure distortion of facts. Infact it's the other way round. Majority of women, blacks and Latinos voted for Hillary ahead of Trump, but not as overwhelmingly as they did for Obama in both 2008 and 2012, which is quite understandable as Obama belonged to one of these minority groups unlike Clinton who though was canvassing for their interest but can never seen as one of them.
Here is a link by Pew, a research agency that did the demographics of the voters in terms of age, race, gender and education.
www.pewresearch.org/fact-tank/2016/11/09/behind-trumps-victory-divisions-by-race-gender-education/
Re: Lessons I Learnt From 2016 US Presidental Elections: Donald Trump's Victory by Defcon1(m): 6:28am On Nov 12, 2016
Onegai:
That people prefer to trust their feelings, their religion and their anger over any facts, knowledge, experience and preparedness. And it's okay to do whatever the hell you want to do, as long as you can tap into the popular feeling going around, you will win people over. And then screw them later. Very Nigerian behaviour. Which is what I have constantly said about Americans.

So most likely Ayo Fayose is our next President. You heard it here first! grin

Strangely, I keep seeing pictures and videos of white teens in schools chanting "go home niggurs", "cotton pickers", "white power", "build the wall" and a uni in San Diego has had an attack on a Muslim girl. Wonder what's causing all this? I mean, Trump is great for America, he's a Christian, we Nigerians (whom are Black) love himmm!!!
You saw all these, but failed to see the violent protests and physical assaults meted on innocent people by "Saint" Hillary's supporters. Hypocrisy!
President-elect Trump has come to stay , and no criticism, insults, protests or whining can stop him from taking the White
House .
The same way you and Hillary's supporters believed strongly she was the better candidate that's the way Trump's supporters thought of their candidate, only they were more in number in many states as regards the electoral college votes.
And if anybody thinks that a man who was chosen by his own people according to the constitution should not be president, then there is no respect for the rule of law and the constitution...a behavior embodied by Hillary with her email scandals and Houdini-like escapes from justice.
For God's sake this man did not stage a coup and seize power. He was duly elected.
Please suck it up and live with it!
Long live and a successful tenure President Trump.
Re: Lessons I Learnt From 2016 US Presidental Elections: Donald Trump's Victory by Edwinmason(m): 6:29am On Nov 12, 2016
VisitorsCanteen:

Not all the 'hard work pays' bro. Good morning
i see my friend
Re: Lessons I Learnt From 2016 US Presidental Elections: Donald Trump's Victory by Edwinmason(m): 6:31am On Nov 12, 2016
PaulIdu:

Olodo please explain yourself
Re: Lessons I Learnt From 2016 US Presidental Elections: Donald Trump's Victory by Onopa(m): 6:46am On Nov 12, 2016
Sheggy13:

This No 7 point by the OP which you quoted is a pure distortion of facts. Infact it's the other way round. Majority of women, blacks and Latinos voted for Hillary ahead of Trump, but not as overwhelmingly as they did for Obama in both 2008 and 2012, which is quite understandable as Obama belonged to one of these minority groups unlike Clinton who though was canvassing for their interest but can never seen as one of them.
Here is a link by Pew, a research agency that did the demographics of the voters in terms of age, race, gender and education.
www.pewresearch.org/fact-tank/2016/11/09/behind-trumps-victory-divisions-by-race-gender-education/

Majority of white women voted for Trump

53 percent of white women voted for Trump while 43 percent voted for Hillary.

https://www.theguardian.com/us-news/2016/nov/09/white-voters-victory-donald-trump-exit-polls
Re: Lessons I Learnt From 2016 US Presidental Elections: Donald Trump's Victory by anyicash(m): 6:56am On Nov 12, 2016
I ve learnt to work smarter not neccesarily harder.
Re: Lessons I Learnt From 2016 US Presidental Elections: Donald Trump's Victory by OBAGADAFFI: 7:04am On Nov 12, 2016
Timbuktuo:
This is the Michael Moore video from YouTube, Mindfulness and co:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YKeYbEOSqYc

So, you may call them whatever derogatory label your liberal mind can conjure, but this man gets close to explaining why Trump voters voted for him, but which the media would not tell you. Not that they knew or bothered to find out anyway.

Moore is really angry.
Re: Lessons I Learnt From 2016 US Presidental Elections: Donald Trump's Victory by Stanbeto: 7:05am On Nov 12, 2016
Good Lesson for all
Re: Lessons I Learnt From 2016 US Presidental Elections: Donald Trump's Victory by Sheggy13(m): 7:05am On Nov 12, 2016
Onopa:

Majority of white women voted for Trump

53 percent of white women voted for Trump while 43 percent voted for Hillary.

https://www.theguardian.com/us-news/2016/nov/09/white-voters-victory-donald-trump-exit-polls
Read what I wrote there again and the link I included. I'm talking about women votes in general, not just white women which was the point the OP was trying to make it sound like women generally voted more for Trump than Hillary, which is false.
Re: Lessons I Learnt From 2016 US Presidental Elections: Donald Trump's Victory by Adesiji77: 7:10am On Nov 12, 2016
"If a Trump can beat a Clinton, then a Kardashian could trump a Kennedy" cheesy

I find the comments below from "The New Yorker" interesting...

[b]In the coming days, commentators will attempt to normalize this event. They will try to soothe their readers and viewers with thoughts about the “innate wisdom” and “essential decency” of the American people. They will downplay the virulence of the nationalism displayed, the cruel decision to elevate a man who rides in a gold-plated airliner but who has staked his claim with the populist rhetoric of blood and soil.

George Orwell, the most fearless of commentators, was right to point out that public opinion is no more innately wise than humans are innately kind. People can behave foolishly, recklessly, self-destructively in the aggregate just as they can individually. Sometimes all they require is a leader of cunning, a demagogue who reads the waves of resentment and rides them to a popular victory. “The point is that the relative freedom which we enjoy depends of public opinion,” Orwell wrote in his essay “Freedom of the Park.” “The law is no protection. Governments make laws, but whether they are carried out, and how the police behave, depends on the general temper in the country. If large numbers of people are interested in freedom of speech, there will be freedom of speech, even if the law forbids it; if public opinion is sluggish, inconvenient minorities will be persecuted, even if laws exist to protect them.”[/b]

http://www.newyorker.com/news/news-desk/an-american-tragedy-2?

1 Like

Re: Lessons I Learnt From 2016 US Presidental Elections: Donald Trump's Victory by Nobody: 7:14am On Nov 12, 2016
raumdeuter:
timbuktou

White women brought feminism and sold it to black women and other races whenever WOmen are voted as presidents in Africa they hail it as the victory for feminism

But the opportunity came for them to break the glass ceiling and empower a white woman for the first time in US history to the highest politcal office, majority of them went back to the comfort of a White man, A white man who is everything feminism is against

5 kids from 3 wives, WHo openly mocks women

WHen do we start to wonder why the seller of the idea doesnt even believe in it
one word:BRILLIANT
Re: Lessons I Learnt From 2016 US Presidental Elections: Donald Trump's Victory by freshcvvs: 7:18am On Nov 12, 2016
bukatyne:

What did you learn?

Point no 7 is not accurate. Hilarry got more women's vote. Just check the result sheet or check Google result collation.
https://www.google.com/search?q=popular%20vote%20count#eob=enn/p//0/1///////////
Re: Lessons I Learnt From 2016 US Presidental Elections: Donald Trump's Victory by Nobody: 7:27am On Nov 12, 2016
cococandy:
The main lesson to learn is that most of them are still in their hearts racist, misogynist, homophobic and whatever else Trump represents.

It means never relax in the fight against segregation and discrimination because it's only the laws that keep people 'good'. When they have the chance to be themselves without repercussions, their anti-other-humans-who-are-not-like-us sides will come glaring.

So the same voters who voted Obama in 2008 and 2012 have suddenly become racist in 2016?

5 Likes 1 Share

Re: Lessons I Learnt From 2016 US Presidental Elections: Donald Trump's Victory by Nobody: 7:32am On Nov 12, 2016
Timbuktuo:

You might not like it, but I have spoken nothing but the truth.

All over the liberal media, there were innumerable headlines heralding the dawn f the first US woman president. Some journalists even called white men who wouldn't vote for Hillary sexist, because sexism is the only reason for not voting a woman. The infusion of feminism and gender politics was a card played by the left and it still didn't work out. You might hate my schadenfreude, but your people gave me something to work with. From CNN to the Guardian to HuffPo, the woman card was milked to the hilt, and you expect it to just fizzle away without a mocking mention? Get real. You cannot have your cake and eat it too.

By the way, you don't have to quote me while you're menstruating. Obviously, it's a challenge to keep your monthly ebb of life under control and be civil at the same time. If multitasking comes difficult to you, stick to survival basics. Go and bleed in the woods.
cold-blooded monster shocked

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (Reply)

Russia Will Bear The Consequences: Biden introduces more sanctions / Trump Sacks Sally Yates After She Declines To Defend Travel Ban / Gambian Army Chief Rejoicing After Barrow's Inauguration (Photo, Video)

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 89
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.